Subwoofer crossover Marantz SR8500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I was just reading the manual of the Marantz SR7500/8500 receiver and I read that the subwoofer crossover can only be set to 80/100 or 120 Hz. Is there absolutely no lower value to select, like 40 or 60Hz? Or should I read that this only goes for speakers set to "small"?

From the manual:
----------------------
LPF/HPF When you use a subwoofer, you can select the cutoff frequency for the small speakers used.

Select one of the crossover frequency levels according to the size of the small speaker connected.
80Hz:
Select this when the bass speaker is about 12 cm (4 3/4 inches).
100Hz:
Select this when the bass speaker is about 10 cm (3 15/16 inches).
120Hz:
Select this when the bass speaker is about 8 cm (3 3/16 inches).

Notes:
• Use the above comments as reference when adjusting.
• If Pure-Direct mode, 7.1CH Input is in use, this function does not take effect.
----------------------

And what about the MRAC? Does this feature determine the correct "size" of the speakers? I mean, I have B&W 604 s3 as fronts, will the receiver detect a somewhat larger speaker and set the crossover for the fronts to 60 or maybe 40Hz? (I know I know, the "large" setting does not mean large speakers, but a "large(r) frequency").

Jeroen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 05:06 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 8400 and 80, 100 and 120 Hz are the ONLY choices. So I guess nothing changed here with the 8500. Since you can't manually select a lower Xover, I'm pretty sure that MRAC can't do it.

Ed
post #3 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM

So what is the xover set to when the speaker is set to large then?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 09:26 PM

I have an SR8500 and I was, coincidentally, thinking the same exact thought this afternoon at work. I have B&W 804S for mains and an HTM4s for my center. What I came up with was the following:

Set two front speakers to LARGE
Set Center to LARGE
Set bass mix to BOTH
Set XOver on the receiver to the lowest (80Hz) Since the bass mix is set to BOTH this should send anything below 80Hz to the front three speakers as well as the sub. I guess the one thing that this doesn't take into accounts is the surrounds.

Set the Xover on the amp somewhere around 55Hz.

This is the best I have come up with. I will test tomorrow. Got home too late to test this evening. Let me know if you come up with any other options.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Liked: 52
The crossover should be set to provide the smoothest response between the speakers and sub. This will vary based off of room acoustics and placement of seats, speakers and sub. It should NOT be set by the capabilities of the speakers and how low they can go. For most rooms the 80-120hz range on the Marantz will work fine. I've used 60 on very few occasions and I don't think I've ever used >120hz except with very tiny speakers which is a compromise. You really need some type of measuring equipment to set this. You can do it with a RS SPL meter and a test tones disc or a 1/12th octave or better RTA.

Hope this helps

Bob
post #6 of 10 Old 05-12-2005, 05:14 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Paradox-SJ
So what is the xover set to when the speaker is set to large then?
A channel set to large means that it gets the full spectrum. In other words, there is no Xover at all (for that channel).

Ed
post #7 of 10 Old 05-12-2005, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Verinnal
I have an SR8500 and I was, coincidentally, thinking the same exact thought this afternoon at work. I have B&W 804S for mains and an HTM4s for my center. What I came up with was the following:

Set two front speakers to LARGE
Set Center to LARGE
Set bass mix to BOTH
Set XOver on the receiver to the lowest (80Hz) Since the bass mix is set to BOTH this should send anything below 80Hz to the front three speakers as well as the sub. I guess the one thing that this doesn't take into accounts is the surrounds.

Set the Xover on the amp somewhere around 55Hz.

This is the best I have come up with. I will test tomorrow. Got home too late to test this evening. Let me know if you come up with any other options.
I tried those settings on the 7400, and nothing was redirected to the sub. In the 7400, you have to set at least one set of speakers (front lr, center, or surrounds) to small. I assume the 7500/8400/8500 models work the same, but I could be wrong.

When you wrote about the xover on the amp, maybe that overcomes this deficiency. You use the Marantz as a pre/pro w/ a separate amp?

Doug
post #8 of 10 Old 05-12-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dougotte
I tried those settings on the 7400, and nothing was redirected to the sub. In the 7400, you have to set at least one set of speakers (front lr, center, or surrounds) to small. I assume the 7500/8400/8500 models work the same, but I could be wrong.

When you wrote about the xover on the amp, maybe that overcomes this deficiency. You use the Marantz as a pre/pro w/ a separate amp?

Doug
My SVS has a built in 300w amp so I use line out on my receiver to my sub. My sub also has a built in crossover. I'll experiment tonight and let you know what I find.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-12-2005, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Verinnal
My SVS has a built in 300w amp so I use line out on my receiver to my sub. My sub also has a built in crossover. I'll experiment tonight and let you know what I find.
Now I get it (a bit slow sometimes). Please do let us know.

Doug
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Setting the fronts to small enables the crossover point to be selected; that is, everything below that frequency will be sent to the sub. If you set the front speakers to large, they get the full range of sound with NOTHING sent to the sub, unless you are listening to a 5.1 source, then the .1 (lfe) will be sent to the sub.

I was over at a buddies house and checking out his sytem and it just didn't sound right at all. Turns out he had his fronts set to large (8" inwalls), so the sub wasn't doing anything in music. His reciever, a Sony ES dealie, has EQ setting which he had uber-tweaked to get around his faux paus.

For the Marantz, in order to select THX mode, the receiver requires that the fronts are set to small with a crossover at 80hz. Unless you have some Bose front speakers or something with equivalent tiny fronts, 80Hz should work great. Setting the crossover above 100Hz makes it possible to localize the sub, which is bad. This is one reason why Bose systems aren't that great, nor many of the home theater in a box setups when compared to a nice system with a real 10" or larger sub. I wish the Marantz didn't disable the tone control (bass & treble) in THX mode. Some rooms need a little tweak to the tone controls to suit the listeners preference. I don't care if a frequency sweep shows a near linear response, I like a little extra brightness.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page