"Official" Marantz 7400/7500/8400/8500 thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestions! I've checked the ac4l site a few times - they have nice stuff, but I'm going to have to go the used route. So, what I need to look for is a receiver with minimum DPL II, and possibly DTS as a bonus. Sounds like some of the newer (2001 & up?) have this. I guess the X2XX and X4XX systems have this. I've yet to decipher the logic behind the model #'s themselves - any clues?

Another poster mentioned that some models don't have adjustments to raise or lower the power going to the front speakers. I would think not having this could be an issue.

I'll be checking the adds and usual places online. I've also started a separate thread HERE , if anyone has a receiver either to suggest or offer FS.

I also have another question - If I end up feeding my PJ an HDMI video signal - would it cause problems if receiver does not have DVI audio input?

Thank You,

Marshall

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall F View Post

I've yet to decipher the logic behind the model #'s themselves - any clues?

It seems like these are model year designations. Like cars, they come out a year ahead - so the 7400 and 8400 I got were released in 2003 for the 2004 model year, the x500s were released mid-to-late 2004 for the 2005 model year, and they introduced the x600s a few months ago.

Quote:

Another poster mentioned that some models don't have adjustments to raise or lower the power going to the front speakers. I would think not having this could be an issue.

?

The "power"? Did he mean volume adjustments by any chance?

I certainly haven't seen this in my 7400 and 8400, but if it wasn't there it wouldn't be the end of the world. The intention with volume adjustments for each channel is to have them all even. So if you couldn't adjust the front channels (I assume left and right), you'd just adjust everything else to match them.

The problem would be if the left channel volume doesn't match the right channel volume. Setting them differently will be required if your setup is not spaced exactly centred in the room.

Quote:

I also have another question - If I end up feeding my PJ an HDMI video signal - would it cause problems if receiver does not have DVI audio input?

DVI is a video-only format. It's been replaced by HDMI.

If you were to feed a projector an HDMI signal, all you need to do is feed your receiver a digital audio signal through optical or coaxial.

This requirement changes for the new 7.1 discrete formats like I mentioned, but if you're sticking with 5.1 you will not use these anyway.

If you ever upgrade to 7.1, you can use the external analog inputs on the receiver. The 7400 and 8400 all have 8-channel (i.e. 7.1) inputs, so they will be fully compatible. Check earlier 7.1 models though as they may or may not have full 8-channel inputs but may be using 6-channel (5.1) inputs. However analog inputs will usually be inferior to HDMI for 7.1 discrete sound.
post #363 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post

I can't vouch for the 4400 and 5400, or the 4500/4600, 5500/5600, but I have had the 7400 and I now have the 8400 and I'm immensely pleased.

I've had both the 4400, in a 5.1 setup, and a 4500 in a 7.1 setup. If anyone has questions about either, I can help.

I'm currently using the 4500 with 7.1, and I love it.

In fact, I got my 4400 packaged up and back in it's original box with all it's original materials. It could use a new home.
post #364 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Fraouch,

Yes, by power, I meant volume. I mean I'd like to be able to raise or lower the volume of the fronts (together, not necessarily L-R) from the centers and rears.

Thanks for the clarifications on the HDMI & DVI. My pj is a CRT, so all of the digital talk is new to me. Sounds like it won't be an issue.

Thanks, Final. You also answered another question I had... If I get a 6.1 receiver, can I use it OK with 5.1 speaker setup. Sounds like I can, as you did this with your 4400.

Here's another tip from another THREAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDixon View Post

I used to own an SR7000. They have excellent sound quality when used in Source Direct mode, but note that SD disables the sub out. The other main limitations are the lack of Component/HDMI video and no Prologic II. Still, I'd probably get an SR8000 over just about anything else at that price!

Chris

Sounds like SD selection provides nice sound. Does the 4400 disable subout with SD selection? IF so, is that really an issue?

Thanks, all. You have been very helpful.

Regards,

Marshall

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #365 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, by power, I meant volume. I mean I'd like to be able to raise or lower the volume of the fronts (together, not necessarily L-R) from the centers and rears.

Should still work fine. If your L&R are fixed, adjust the centre and the surrounds up and down to match.

It's if you need to balance L&R with each other that you have a problem.
post #366 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Hi Fraouch,
Here's another tip from another THREAD

Sounds like SD selection provides nice sound. Does the 4400 disable subout with SD selection? IF so, is that really an issue?

Marshall, by definition, Source Direct has to disable subwoofer signal for a stereo signal. Source Direct disables any monkeying with the original signal, so 2-ch goes only to the front L/R.

However, if the signal includes a dedicated LFE track going to the sub (e.g. DD5.1 or SACD 5.1), then Source Direct will continue to pass it unsullied.

Doug
post #367 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Doug. that makes sense.

On a related note, apparently some Marantz, including the 4400 have "limited bass management filtering is limited to 100hz." according to THIS review.

If you asked me what that meant - I'm not sure. Is this saying that the 4400 has a preset and unadjustable crossover frequency for the sub? If so, does that mean that one cannot adjust the frequency at which the sub kicks in?

If that is true, I guess the sound would be a bit bass heavy with speakers able to produce a lot of bass, but just fine with smaller speakers, say bookshelfs...

Seriously, I don't think this issue will be a concern. I'm just trying to understand some of the terms & theories

Oh, Final - I sent a PM. Let me know & thanks.

Marshall

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #368 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a related note, apparently some Marantz, including the 4400 have "limited bass management filtering is limited to 100hz." according to THIS review.

If you asked me what that meant - I'm not sure. Is this saying that the 4400 has a preset and unadjustable crossover frequency for the sub? If so, does that mean that one cannot adjust the frequency at which the sub kicks in?

That's a very interesting review you found.

I believe what they are saying is that yes, the crossover's minimum is 100 Hz. They didn't state whether it could be set at 120 Hz though.

This kind of makes sense, the 7400 and 8400 only have 3 options: 80, 100 and 120 Hz, which is another slight drawback for me.

Quote:

If that is true, I guess the sound would be a bit bass heavy with speakers able to produce a lot of bass, but just fine with smaller speakers, say bookshelfs...

Actually the lower your speakers can go, the better. Sending 100 Hz material to your sub is approaching the localization point (i.e. you will start to be able to tell where your sub is in your room).

100 Hz means you will not be able to take full advantage of big floorstanders. Bookshelves usually go down to 50-60 Hz - therefore an 80 Hz crossover takes full advantage of them, but a 100 Hz crossover would be OK too. 100 Hz is fine for small bookshelves or larger satellites. Tiny satellites should probably be set at 120 Hz.
post #369 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

I know that some of the earlier and lower level models had the xover fixed at 100hz. I have a model SR5500 and it has the 80, 100, 120hz xovers which is ok, although I wish it would be lower. This receiver also has adjustable levels on all channels as will as the 7.1 channel levels (SACD, DVD-A) You can usually find the SR5500 and some very decent prices. I think it's a great unit, although wading thru the manual can be a pain!
post #370 of 703 Old 01-13-2006, 09:31 PM

my new sr7500, I have all component cables connected to the rear from dvd, satelitte, tape, cd, and 50inch plasma. I am connected to component out and connect to component in on the TV. I get no signal at the plasma. What am I doing wrong, could this be a programming issue? Help please!!!!!

Kevin
post #371 of 703 Old 01-14-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbreen@verizon. View Post

my new sr7500, I have all component cables connected to the rear from dvd, satelitte, tape, cd, and 50inch plasma. I am connected to component out and connect to component in on the TV. I get no signal at the plasma. What am I doing wrong, could this be a programming issue? Help please!!!!!

Kevin

There isn't very much that can go wrong with this.

Are you using proper component video or regular video cables? You don't have to use expensive ones, but they must be video or component video cables.

The inputs are connected to the receiver inputs, and the output is connected to the TV, right?

You're doing the switching properly? See manual, page 24.

You may have some bad cables. Since you can't get picture on any input, that leaves only one that would be bad in all possibilities - the cable set from the receiver to the TV. Swap this out with one of your input cable sets.

Are there any settings you need to do on the TV?

I don't use the video functions on my receiver so I'm not entirely sure, but it looks to me from reading the manual that there are no settings you have to change to get component to work. There are a few conversion settings that will enable conversion from video or S-video to component, but no settings that will enable or disable component entirely.
post #372 of 703 Old 01-14-2006, 09:35 AM

thanks for the help. I used a belden component cable utilizing blue , red and green of the five conductors. I agree that I should send video straight to the Panasonic 50phd8ux. What do I do in the case of a rear projector switching the input digital video to the rear?
I will ring the cables out and re-check my connections. Thanks for the help!
Kevin
post #373 of 703 Old 01-14-2006, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the help. I used a belden component cable utilizing blue , red and green of the five conductors. I agree that I should send video straight to the Panasonic 50phd8ux. What do I do in the case of a rear projector switching the input digital video to the rear?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that your projector has several component inputs and that you can go directly to it?

If you can, that's certainly something you should try.
post #374 of 703 Old 01-14-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Kevin

Kevin,
Forgive me, but your post seems a little confusing. I have the SR8500, which is the same as the 7500, with regards to component video connectivity. There are 4 component video inputs and 1 output. As far as I know, you cannot assign the component inputs to non-video input sources (eg. tape/CD) so you must be referring to some other kind of cable when you mention CD and Tape?

Basically if you connect your input video devices via composite video, s-video or componenet video, you may have them all display on your plasma if:
  1. you connect the component video monitor-out from the SR7500 to the plasma +
  2. you set Video Conversion to enabled (see page 22 or see the Preference menu) +
  3. you ensure Video Off is not enabled (see page 29 of the user manual)

HT Core:- Marantz SR-8500|DVDO iScan HD+|Samsung HLP5085w|Philips ProntoProNG|Download my Pronto PCF here
post #375 of 703 Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 AM

Froach and cmexec,
Thanks for your help and suggestions. The wiring and sr7500 is fin for now. The problem was the monitor. I was attempting to change the input signal at the monitor with the remote but the second I changed the input using the buttons on the monitor itself the picture appeared.
I will however need your help when I attempt to program the 7500. Keep your fingers crossed.
Thanks again
post #376 of 703 Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 AM

Some questions. Have a 8500. Does anyone know if there is a crossover setting for speakers even when they are set to large? I know they are suppose to get a full range signal but I was told that some receivers have a crossover setting even for large. ALso, On listening to DD or DTS and wanting 7.1 is the best setting for DD PLIIX or just EX? What are the differences? What do you do on DTS tracks? PLIIX doesnt work for that correct? Thanks alot
post #377 of 703 Old 01-16-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvengeance111 View Post

Does anyone know if there is a crossover setting for speakers even when they are set to large?

There certainly isn't anything specific for the 8400.

Quote:

ALso, On listening to DD or DTS and wanting 7.1 is the best setting for DD PLIIX or just EX? What are the differences?

If you want 7.1, you want PLIIx.

EX is a 6.1 decoder. Both your rear speakers will be active, but they will be in mono, whereas with PLIIx they'll be in stereo.

Also PLIIx can be applied to any source, analog or digital, in any format. EX can only be applied to Dolby Digital on most receivers.

Quote:

What do you do on DTS tracks? PLIIX doesnt work for that correct?

Yes, unfortuntely it doesn't. I just use the DD track with PLIIx. I haven't encountered a DTS-only DVD yet. I suppose if I did the next best thing would be to turn on ES processing for 6.1.
post #378 of 703 Old 01-16-2006, 11:17 AM
N8G

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvengeance111 View Post

Some questions. Have a 8500. Does anyone know if there is a crossover setting for speakers even when they are set to large? I know they are suppose to get a full range signal but I was told that some receivers have a crossover setting even for large. ALso, On listening to DD or DTS and wanting 7.1 is the best setting for DD PLIIX or just EX? What are the differences? What do you do on DTS tracks? PLIIX doesnt work for that correct? Thanks alot

There is no crossover for speakers set to large in the 7500/8500. They will get a full range signal that either includes or does not include the LFE signal depending on the bass setting. And you want to watch with PLIIX rather than EX because it will give everything EX does plus stereo back channels versus mono back channel in EX. I believe DTS has its own version of PLIIX called DTS Neo something or other but I could be wrong (I don't use a 7.1 setup). The manual has a chart that will let you know what all the different formats can do.
post #379 of 703 Old 01-16-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8G View Post

I believe DTS has its own version of PLIIX called DTS Neo something or other but I could be wrong (I don't use a 7.1 setup).

That would be DTS Neo:6. It's the DTS equivalent of PLII (as opposed to 7-channel PLIIx), but for 6 channels rather than 5. It can be applied to any source.

If you apply DTS Neo:6 to a DTS track, you have DTS-ES matrix. But again, this is 6-channel while PLIIx is 7-channel.

In summary:

PLII: 5-channel, can be applied to any source except DD/DTS

DTS:Neo 6: 6-channel, can be applied to any source, applying to DTS is equivalent to DTS-ES matrix

PLIIx, 7-channel, can be applied to any source including DD, but not DTS on these receivers.
post #380 of 703 Old 01-16-2006, 12:15 PM

How do you keep the L/R that are set to large, how do you keep the LFE out of the signal? So I guess what I am trying to say is I have two LARGE powered towers and a seperate sub for LFE.
post #381 of 703 Old 01-16-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe if the sub is set to YES, LFE will always play through the subwoofer regardless of how the speakers are set.

LFE will only play through the fronts if they are set to large and no subwoofer is connected.
post #382 of 703 Old 01-17-2006, 04:13 PM
N8G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post

I believe if the sub is set to YES, LFE will always play through the subwoofer regardless of how the speakers are set.

LFE will only play through the fronts if they are set to large and no subwoofer is connected.

Fraoch, you're right. I forgot the bass mix setting is only for stereo or pcm inputs. In those cases you can have bass play through both the sub and fronts if you set the bass mix to 'BOTH', but of course there is no LFE signal. I thought you could apply that setting to all sources, which you can't.
post #383 of 703 Old 01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

So, anyone else have a lead for a used Marantz receiver they are willing to part with?

5.1 & up
DTS & DPL II

Thanks again for the input above and the nice offer by Finalheaven.

On another note, does anyone here have one of the older Marantz quadradial receivers? I think one version of this was the 4400 (not to be confused with the newer home thater version models SR 4XXX). Just curious how they sound.

Thanks,

Marshall

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #384 of 703 Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:

So, anyone else have a lead for a used Marantz receiver they are willing to part with?

5.1 & up
DTS & DPL II

Thanks again for the input above and the nice offer by Finalheaven.

On another note, does anyone here have one of the older Marantz quadradial receivers? I think one version of this was the 4400 (not to be confused with the newer home thater version models SR 4XXX). Just curious how they sound.

Thanks,

Marshall

http://www.parkavenueaudio.com/data/clearance.pdf
post #385 of 703 Old 01-22-2006, 01:28 AM

Has anyone heard of when the 7600 and 8600 will be coming? Any specs?
post #386 of 703 Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Has anyone heard of when the 7600 and 8600 will be coming? Any specs?

Not quite sure why they would want to come out with a 7600 or 8600. Both are up-to-date in features and have plenty of power. Both feature 7.1, component video switching (HDMI might be the only problem), dolby headphones, THX, all kinds of DSP effects including PLII, PLIIx, Neo 6, etc..., and not to mention the coolest remote control I have ever seen! I don't know why anybody would want a 7600 or 8600 to come out so soon.

Ryan

Marantz SR7500 Receiver, MA500 Power Amps, DV7600 DVD/CD Player, M&K MX-105 Subwoofer
Monitor Audio RS6 fronts, RSLCR center, RS1 rears
Sony 46XBR8 TV
post #387 of 703 Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVETTEZ06 View Post

I don't know why anybody would want a 7600 or 8600 to come out so soon.

Ryan

I might, could be able to get a better price on an 8500.
post #388 of 703 Old 01-22-2006, 01:53 PM

marantz 7400 question.

what does LFE level settings (under surround settings in the menu) affect? -10db, 0 db or OFF? i have it currently on off.

my SUB W in the menu is set to - 8 db and ive turned the sub level dial on the subwoofer way beyond half, near maximum. shud i keep the SUB W level on the menu to - 0 - and set the dial on subwoofer ?
post #389 of 703 Old 01-22-2006, 01:58 PM

Hi all,

I just got good dela on SR 7500 cambridge soundworks . I own a 50 inch NEC palsma .
Just wanted to know is this the right receiver .
lack of digital video output in 7500 a huge problem .
Also the bluray issue .
I still can return and upgrade to 8500 .
Suggestions please .
Thanks
post #390 of 703 Old 01-22-2006, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

Hi all,

I just got good dela on SR 7500 cambridge soundworks . I own a 50 inch NEC palsma .
Just wanted to know is this the right receiver .
lack of digital video output in 7500 a huge problem .
Also the bluray issue .
I still can return and upgrade to 8500 .
Suggestions please .
Thanks

If you think that DVI switching, additional 20 watts per channel, and HDCD features are worth 500 dollars (almost 50% of the value of the SR7500), then you might want to consider the SR8500; otherwise you would be wasting money.

If you got a good deal on the SR7500, then it sounds like you are trying to go low cost (as opposed to just going out and buying it) and don't want to spend more than you have to (thus, you might not need the SR8500). The only reason I see the SR8500 as a must is if you MUST have DVI switching. If you are okay with component video, then stay with the SR7500.

Hope that helps your decision.

Ryan

Marantz SR7500 Receiver, MA500 Power Amps, DV7600 DVD/CD Player, M&K MX-105 Subwoofer
Monitor Audio RS6 fronts, RSLCR center, RS1 rears
Sony 46XBR8 TV
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page