"Official" Marantz 7400/7500/8400/8500 thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While we are talking about bass, does anybody run the 8400 in multichannel stereo? I like it, but I have problems getting the sub to kick on. It seems it runs signal equally to all the speakers, but not the sub. Anybody else have an issue like this? In 2.1 stereo, it works great.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

While we are talking about bass, does anybody run the 8400 in multichannel stereo? I like it, but I have problems getting the sub to kick on. It seems it runs signal equally to all the speakers, but not the sub. Anybody else have an issue like this? In 2.1 stereo, it works great.

Pat

I run it in multichannel mode frequently and I've never had this problem. Did you level-match the sub with the rest of the speakers using the internal test tone?
post #453 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 03:56 PM

My suggestion is that if you want to run your main towers in 2.0 is to invest in a good 200 watt 2-channel amp, or 2 mono blocks, that works well with your speakers. A 3-channel (or 3 mono blocks) would even be better since HT sound would be balanced across the front.

Then you will get the oomph you need to power those towers.

Yes, I know, I know.... it's easy to spend someone else's money!!!
post #454 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 04:07 PM

Liked: 12
I'm late to this thread but why doesn't Marantz make a HT processor anymore? I have an older AV9000 and man it rocks. Is it because Denon bought them and they just don't do separates? Thanks J.H.
post #455 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post

I'm late to this thread but why doesn't Marantz make a HT processor anymore? I have an older AV9000 and man it rocks. Is it because Denon bought them and they just don't do separates? Thanks J.H.

They also own McIntosh. I am guessing that they are trying to figure out what products belong in what lines.

Hopefully we will see Marantz amps/preamps/pre-pros again.
post #456 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Yeah I don't get it the AV/9000 is absolutely incredible. Denon for that matter with thier name should have a line of separates. There are snobs like me that will only buy separates. Why not give us something from Denon to buy. J.H.
post #457 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

My suggestion is that if you want to run your main towers in 2.0 is to invest in a good 200 watt 2-channel amp, or 2 mono blocks, that works well with your speakers. A 3-channel (or 3 mono blocks) would even be better since HT sound would be balanced across the front.

I've often thought of that... but I was fairly satisfied with the bass from the SR6200 alone. I was hoping an 8400 would give at least as much as the 6200, but since the 7300 (and probably 7400) don't, I have my doubts. My thinking is that a decent receiver should be able to produce satisfying bass, but maybe I'm asking too much.

Cost is a factor, but used MM9000's sometimes shows up on ebay...
post #458 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post

Yeah I don't get it the AV/9000 is absolutely incredible. Denon for that matter with thier name should have a line of separates. There are snobs like me that will only buy separates. Why not give us something from Denon to buy. J.H.

A prepro with Audyssey from Marantz or Denon would be most welcome.
post #459 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM

I bet you 100% we will see a new Marantz HT processor. J.H.
post #460 of 703 Old 04-05-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post

A prepro with Audyssey from Marantz or Denon would be most welcome.

As far as I know, Denon already has it in the works, but it will be very pricey!
post #461 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post

I run it in multichannel mode frequently and I've never had this problem. Did you level-match the sub with the rest of the speakers using the internal test tone?

So your sub always works? My sub works fine in all DD and DTS modes, but does not seem to kick on while in multichannel stereo most of the time. I even turn on the sub from auto and it still doesn't work all the time. My fronts are set to large (12 inch woofers), all others are small.

Pat
post #462 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So your sub always works? My sub works fine in all DD and DTS modes, but does not seem to kick on while in multichannel stereo most of the time. I even turn on the sub from auto and it still doesn't work all the time. My fronts are set to large (12 inch woofers), all others are small.

Pat

Yes, my sub always works.

Again, did you equalize your sub level with the rest of your speakers?
post #463 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes sir, it's even boosted a bit for effect to my liking.

Pat
post #464 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How do you have your gain structure set up? Some subs need a fairly hot signal to get them started - plus if it's hotter at the source you need less gain at the amp which leads to less noise.

Mine is set at around 0 with the sub-mounted volume control at about 40%. This leads to a 72 dB signal playing back the receiver test tone at volume 0. I equalize to 75 but it's 72 because the RS meter is non-linear in the bass region, underestimating by 3 dB or so.

With bassy music it's active in all modes. With TV, it's active if there's bass and I've turned it up loud. If I have the TV turned down or there's no bass, it goes off sometimes.
post #465 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 AM

What is the crossover point set to on your subwoofer? Its possible its set too low. It should be either off or right above 100Hz. My speakers are set to large and the xover point on my 7500 is set to 100Hz so anything lower goes to the sub. I will try mine when I get home tonight and make sure its working but I am pretty sure it is.
post #466 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeN View Post

What is the crossover point set to on your subwoofer? Its possible its set too low. It should be either off or right above 100Hz. My speakers are set to large and the xover point on my 7500 is set to 100Hz so anything lower goes to the sub. I will try mine when I get home tonight and make sure its working but I am pretty sure it is.

It's set as high as it goes, the receiver is set to 80.

Pat
post #467 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you have your gain structure set up? Some subs need a fairly hot signal to get them started - plus if it's hotter at the source you need less gain at the amp which leads to less noise.

Mine is set at around 0 with the sub-mounted volume control at about 40%. This leads to a 72 dB signal playing back the receiver test tone at volume 0. I equalize to 75 but it's 72 because the RS meter is non-linear in the bass region, underestimating by 3 dB or so.

With bassy music it's active in all modes. With TV, it's active if there's bass and I've turned it up loud. If I have the TV turned down or there's no bass, it goes off sometimes.

The receiver is set to "zero", the sub is maybe 50% if I recall. It plays at 80 with the tones at zero with pink noise.

I appreciate the feedback. It's a little distressing as it is a mode I like otherwise. I like it for parties and the like, but with no bass it kind of sucks

Pat
post #468 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The receiver is set to "zero", the sub is maybe 50% if I recall. It plays at 80 with the tones at zero with pink noise.

I appreciate the feedback. It's a little distressing as it is a mode I like otherwise. I like it for parties and the like, but with no bass it kind of sucks

Pat

Hmm, that should be plenty.

Setting your fronts to small will greatly increase the bass going to the sub. In Multichannel Stereo mode, the SL/SR/SBL/SBR should have the same content as the L/R but in practice I find them much quieter.

If you don't want to set your fronts to small, try setting BASS MIX: BOTH which will direct all the bass from your fronts to your sub as well.
post #469 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM

Look on page 25 of your manual it tells you exactly what channels are active in every possible mode. It looks like there are some modes with LFE and some with out. You can also download the manual from marantz in the support section if you can't find yours.
post #470 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you don't want to set your fronts to small, try setting BASS MIX: BOTH which will direct all the bass from your fronts to your sub as well.

I forgot to mention, that is what I do. I like the bass from both the mains and the sub. I think I am going to try and recalibrate everything again. If that doesn't work, I will call marantz. I will post back when and if I get it figured out.

I just wonder why the bass is fine in DD and DTS using the same input.
For example: the same song streamed off my prismiq, switching processing on the fly, still results in good bass on DD music, DTS music, stereo etc., but not in multichannel stereo.

Thanks much,

Pat
post #471 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look on page 25 of your manual it tells you exactly what channels are active in every possible mode. It looks like there are some modes with LFE and some with out. You can also download the manual from marantz in the support section if you can't find yours.

I just took a look, it's page 28, but whatever

It seems to say that the SW is not outputted in multichannel stereo mode with an analog or PCM stereo input. I'd be OK with that if not for the fact that it also says that for plain stereo input not having the SW active. I can confirm that my SW is quite active while in plain stereo mode. Maybe I just don't understand the chart?

Pat
post #472 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Thats how I was reading it too. Even my old craptastic yamaha outputed to sub in 2 channel stereo I don't know what the deal is. Its possible when you go below your xover point it might override and output to sub but it doesnt look like it according to the chart.
post #473 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Hi, I'll be a new member of the Marantz group as I just got a SR8500 at a sweet deal here in the UK. There's something I like to ask you pros here. I'm looking to connect a cd player to the amp. However, the guys on the cd forum have kindly informed me that using the digital interconnects would bypass the DAC of the CD player and processing would be done in the reciever instead. If I want the CD player to process the sound I gotta use the analogue RCA interconnects. The question is the Pure Direct Mode an analogue process that only amps the analogue signal or does the amp have to do A to D conversion? I'm pretty sure that in the stereo mode it has to do the A to D.
post #474 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 PM

Pat I think using "CS II Music" over multi stereo is going to give you the output you are looking for. Try that and tell me how it sounds. I am at work or I would try it myself.
post #475 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Pat, I've never used multichannel stereo, but other surround modes (DPL II, DTS ES) won't output anything to the sub unless you have at least one set of speakers set to small. I have the center set to small. Try that.

Doug
post #476 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiav View Post

Hi, I'll be a new member of the Marantz group as I just got a SR8500 at a sweet deal here in the UK. There's something I like to ask you pros here. I'm looking to connect a cd player to the amp. However, the guys on the cd forum have kindly informed me that using the digital interconnects would bypass the DAC of the CD player and processing would be done in the reciever instead. If I want the CD player to process the sound I gotta use the analogue RCA interconnects. The question is the Pure Direct Mode an analogue process that only amps the analogue signal or does the amp have to do A to D conversion? I'm pretty sure that in the stereo mode it has to do the A to D.

Welcome. We assume there's no A/D monkeying around when using Pure Direct, but I think only the engineers at Marantz know for sure. I think it's a universal problem - most AVR brands won't tell you what's going on under the hood.

If anyone has any definitive info, I'd love to be proven wrong!

Doug
post #477 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have the 8000 (I know, it's old!) and am wondering if a 7400/7500 would be a step down in overall sound quality? I'd like the features of the newer models, but don't have the $$ for the 8400/8500.

-Mike
post #478 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pat I think using "CS II Music" over multi stereo is going to give you the output you are looking for. Try that and tell me how it sounds. I am at work or I would try it myself.

I might have to try that. The problem is that it actually has more settings than just the normal spl adjustments. I will have to read about how to tweak those a bit further.

Thanks,

Pat
post #479 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Pat, I've never used multichannel stereo, but other surround modes (DPL II, DTS ES) won't output anything to the sub unless you have at least one set of speakers set to small. I have the center set to small. Try that.

Doug

Sorry if I wasn't clear, they are all small except the L & R.

Pat
post #480 of 703 Old 04-06-2006, 01:25 PM

If you don't mind refurb you could get one from http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...ory/AVReceiver they are authorized marantz refurbs with 1 year warranty. It will save you a bucket of cash.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page