"Official" Marantz 7400/7500/8400/8500 thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 703 Old 08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many cable boxes incorrectly do not see HDCP-compliant "repeaters", as the Marantz properly reports itself as, well, HDCP compliant. Happens with my Scientific Atlanta cable box, but my Sony DHG-HDD500 HDTV receiver works perfectly and does report HDCP mode when going through my SR9600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 703 Old 08-23-2006, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Further to the discussion about multi-room: I turned it on once by mistake. When I shut down the receiver, it was still actually powered up. The little red multi-room indicator on the display is your only clue.

I discovered mine was on all weekend in a closed armoire, and it was quite hot. Beware.

Doug
post #543 of 703 Old 08-25-2006, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to this forum, I own an 8400 two questions: 1. Can I use my 8400 to switch and HD signal into the component inputs, HD in HD out. 2. I use the multi room SPEAKER feature, once the speakers in the remote room are on, there does not seem to be a way to adjust the volume without going into the main menu, or am I missing a short cut some where?
Thank
post #544 of 703 Old 08-25-2006, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbelin View Post

I'm new to this forum, I own an 8400 two questions: 1. Can I use my 8400 to switch and HD signal into the component inputs, HD in HD out. 2. I use the multi room SPEAKER feature, once the speakers in the remote room are on, there does not seem to be a way to adjust the volume without going into the main menu, or am I missing a short cut some where?
Thank

1. As far as I know, you can

2. No there is no other way to adjust volume unless you are using a separate amp for zone 2. I use the internal amp for zone 2 and an external amp for zone 3. I like being able to run them all at the same time, but don't like just what you describe, having to adjust in the main menu. A way to alleviate that would be to put an inline volume know between the amp and the zone 2 speakers. That way you could put the receiver output to the maximum you'd ever want, then use the separate colume know to control it.

Pat
post #545 of 703 Old 08-25-2006, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Further to the discussion about multi-room: I turned it on once by mistake. When I shut down the receiver, it was still actually powered up. The little red multi-room indicator on the display is your only clue.

I discovered mine was on all weekend in a closed armoire, and it was quite hot. Beware.

Doug

Yeah, and the sound coming out of the zone 2 speakers

I like this feature when I am out on the patio. I can shut off the unit and still listen.

Pat
post #546 of 703 Old 08-25-2006, 07:05 AM

I'm not sure if there is a big difference between the SR8400 and SR8500 but I have the SR8500 and I can control volume in either zone from my remote without using a second amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

2. No there is no other way to adjust volume unless you are using a separate amp for zone 2. I use the internal amp for zone 2 and an external amp for zone 3. I like being able to run them all at the same time, but don't like just what you describe, having to adjust in the main menu. A way to alleviate that would be to put an inline volume know between the amp and the zone 2 speakers. That way you could put the receiver output to the maximum you'd ever want, then use the separate colume know to control it.

Pat

post #547 of 703 Old 08-26-2006, 05:35 PM

Has anyone gotten their Marantz A/V Receiver to work with MovieBeam via HDMI? I've connected a HDMI-to-DVI cable to my SR8500 then a DVI-to-HDMI cabke to my HCMP supported Plasma. All I get is a bunch of garage on the screen. It looks like the exact same problem as my Comcast DVR.

This HCMP is making it impossible to get any thing working through my SR8500 receiver.
post #548 of 703 Old 08-26-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssumner View Post

Has anyone gotten their Marantz A/V Receiver to work with MovieBeam via HDMI? I've connected a HDMI-to-DVI cable to my SR8500 then a DVI-to-HDMI cabke to my HCMP supported Plasma. All I get is a bunch of garage on the screen. It looks like the exact same problem as my Comcast DVR.

This HCMP is making it impossible to get any thing working through my SR8500 receiver.

do you mean hdcp ?

i have my 8500 hooked up with dvi to my cable box and i get no garbage on the screen are u sure that ur plasma is compliant ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #549 of 703 Old 08-26-2006, 06:22 PM

I have a NEC Plasma which is brand new and support HDCP. What mode of cable box are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus6d9 View Post

do you mean hdcp ?

i have my 8500 hooked up with dvi to my cable box and i get no garbage on the screen are u sure that ur plasma is compliant ?

post #550 of 703 Old 08-31-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

Pat

Pat;

thanks for the info, i'll try that. This past monday I received my new Dish HD box to connect to my Pioneer 5071, I'm running the component cables through my 8400, the results are very good, the tech from Dish said that by running the HD signal through any switch (AV Receiver) that I will diminish the the signal a bit so I may try running the component wires direct from the HD Dish box to the display and see what it looks like.
Bill
post #551 of 703 Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question about multiroom setup.
I have an old sr7000 that still ROCKS, I love this AVR.
I want to add a second zone for outdoor to the AVR, and I have an old yamaha stereo amp.
How do I get fm or any other source if the second zone amp is just an amp?

Please excuse my ignorance if this question has been beaten to death.
post #552 of 703 Old 09-19-2006, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The SR7500 is $200. more than the SR5600.

Is the auto calibration worth the extra $200.?

I can't find any reviews of the marantz MRAC calibration system.

Thanks,

dlipter
post #553 of 703 Old 09-20-2006, 02:42 AM

If all you want the 7500 for is auto cal, then I wouldn't bother. You can do it yourself with a Radio Shack meter and Avia, which you should get anyway. What is the name of the other setup disk?

If there is another feature or two that you'd like to have, then the auto cal is pretty good.

I don't think it is quite the same as the 8500, but I haven't been able to verify this.

I know that the 9600 does to frequency EQ along with the rest of the setup, and allows manual changes in the frequency adjustments.

I really should send an email to Marantz and ask...... which is what I'm going to do right now.
post #554 of 703 Old 09-20-2006, 02:59 AM

If all you want the 7500 for is auto cal, then I wouldn't bother. You can do it yourself with a Radio Shack meter and Avia, which you should get anyway. What is the name of the other setup disk?

If there is another feature or two that you'd like to have, then the auto cal is pretty good.

I don't think it is quite the same as the 8500, but I haven't been able to verify this.

I know that the 9600 does to frequency EQ along with the rest of the setup, and allows manual changes in the frequency adjustments.

I really should send an email to Marantz and ask...... which is what I'm going to do right now.
post #555 of 703 Old 09-28-2006, 07:57 PM

My SR7400 (purchased 2004) recently started to power off (not protection mode) during video output. I'm using video component connection in from a HD Direct TV receiver, and component connection output to a plasma TV monitor.

It's been running fine in the current configuration, but recently, the unit began experiencing a distinct clicking sound coming from the power on/off button during TV viewing, and the SR7400 unit clicks off, then back on AT A LOWER VOLUME LEVEL. After a while, it just goes off completely, and continues clicking from the power switch until I un-plug the unit.

It began with no changes to any of the hook-ups, and I've checked all connections for shorts, etc.

I now have it with an authorized Marantz service center, but they are unable to replicate the problem. I've seen similar problems raised by contributors to this forum (Tokerblue, NMO, mike092604, 1-fsu, and mht), but no clear solutions to the problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions? This is a real pain.

Thanks
post #556 of 703 Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel L. View Post

I have a question about multiroom setup.
I have an old sr7000 that still ROCKS, I love this AVR.
I want to add a second zone for outdoor to the AVR, and I have an old yamaha stereo amp.
How do I get fm or any other source if the second zone amp is just an amp?

Please excuse my ignorance if this question has been beaten to death.

there should be a rca out that says multi room, just run an rca wire to the new amp & make sure the multi room feature is turned on.
post #557 of 703 Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

I am very interested in this Marantz flagship. I have some questions to ask before giving it serious consideration. I'd really, really appreciate it if you would answer any of the questions below.

1) It has two HDMI ver 1.1 inputs. Have you used it to connect any compatible player (e.g., Toshiba HD-A1 or Oppo DV-970HD)? Does the receiver have any problems in processing DD and DTS bitstreams, and stereo and multichannel PCM signals over HDMI? Particularly, does it correctly apply bass management to multichannel PCM coming through HDMI? I think this is important if I want to use it to play future lossless audio formant of HD and BR, which may be decoded to multichannel PCM.

2) Another connection issue. How about i.Link? Does it work for DD, DTS, SACD, DVD-A, and PCM transmission with no problem? Have you connected an i.Link device of other brand (e.g., Pioneer DV-59AVi)?

3) Generally, does its bass management work well for various input signals as intended?

4) Finally, what's your verdict on this receiver? Do you take pride in its ownership? Do you think it's worth keeping for a long time?

Thanks in advance,

Jay
post #558 of 703 Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,

Some Answers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_WJ View Post

1) It has two HDMI ver 1.1 inputs. Have you used it to connect any compatible player (e.g., Toshiba HD-A1 or Oppo DV-970HD)? Does the receiver have any problems in processing DD and DTS bitstreams, and stereo and multichannel PCM signals over HDMI? Particularly, does it correctly apply bass management to multichannel PCM coming through HDMI? I think this is important if I want to use it to play future lossless audio formant of HD and BR, which may be decoded to multichannel PCM.

Yes. It does correct bass management and sounds pretty good.

2) Another connection issue. How about i.Link? Does it work for DD, DTS, SACD, DVD-A, and PCM transmission with no problem? Have you connected an i.Link device of other brand (e.g., Pioneer DV-59AVi)?

I used it with an Onkyo DV SP1000 and simply sounds outstanding.

3) Generally, does its bass management work well for various input signals as intended?

Yes

4) Finally, what's your verdict on this receiver? Do you take pride in its ownership? Do you think it's worth keeping for a long time?

It is a very solid receiver with outstanding sound. I really like the receiver. I would keep in until I get separates....

Chris.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #559 of 703 Old 10-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you so much for your reply!
post #560 of 703 Old 10-24-2006, 11:49 AM

Hi everyone,

I've owned and enjoyed the SR7500 for a couple of years now. I recently moved into a new home, and have set up a different speaker configuration. I have a 5.1 set of speakers I am using for home theatre, and a 2.0 set of speakers for music. I've got the 5.1 as my "A" speaker set, and the 2.0 as my "B" speaker set.

Here's the problem -- while I am able to switch between them by pushing the button on the main unit, I don't see how to switch between A and B via the remote.

Also, and somewhat related, I noticed that a given input doesn't remember which speaker set I last used with it. For example, when I'm using DVD input, I want the A speaker set. For my CD player (actually a Squeezebox2*), I want the B speaker set. When I first set it all up, I switched to DVD input and selected the A speakers. Then I switched to CD player and selected the B speakers. But when I went back to DVD, it stayed with the B speakers. I found this odd, since it remembers other things, like whether I am in pure direct mode or not.

Anyway, I'm willing to manually switch between A and B when I switch inputs, but ideally I'd like to be able to do this from the remote control. Anyone have any insights into this?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

* - I highly recommend the Squeezebox to everyone. It plays digital music from your PC. Prior to using it I was considering getting a 100 CD changer just because I spent so much time swapping out different CDs. Now I never use my CD player -- the Squeezebox is higher quality audio and FAR more convenient. And Slim Devices (the company which makes the Squeezebox) is bar none the best company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with -- a quality product, excellent support, active user forums, open source server software with lots of great user-created plugins, and more and more and more. So although it's not related to my problem, if anyone is reading this, I *highly* recommend you go to their web site (which the forum software won't let me post, since I am a new user, but you can easily find them via google). They recently came out with an audiophile grade player, The Transporter. I'm saving my pennies for that one, but I'm still very very happy with my Squeezebox (and my Squeezebox2 and my Squeezebox3).

Mitch
post #561 of 703 Old 10-24-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitcharf View Post

Hi everyone,

I've owned and enjoyed the SR7500 for a couple of years now. I recently moved into a new home, and have set up a different speaker configuration. I have a 5.1 set of speakers I am using for home theatre, and a 2.0 set of speakers for music. I've got the 5.1 as my "A" speaker set, and the 2.0 as my "B" speaker set.

Here's the problem -- while I am able to switch between them by pushing the button on the main unit, I don't see how to switch between A and B via the remote.

Also, and somewhat related, I noticed that a given input doesn't remember which speaker set I last used with it. For example, when I'm using DVD input, I want the A speaker set. For my CD player (actually a Squeezebox2*), I want the B speaker set. When I first set it all up, I switched to DVD input and selected the A speakers. Then I switched to CD player and selected the B speakers. But when I went back to DVD, it stayed with the B speakers. I found this odd, since it remembers other things, like whether I am in pure direct mode or not.

Anyway, I'm willing to manually switch between A and B when I switch inputs, but ideally I'd like to be able to do this from the remote control. Anyone have any insights into this?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

* - I highly recommend the Squeezebox to everyone. It plays digital music from your PC. Prior to using it I was considering getting a 100 CD changer just because I spent so much time swapping out different CDs. Now I never use my CD player -- the Squeezebox is higher quality audio and FAR more convenient. And Slim Devices (the company which makes the Squeezebox) is bar none the best company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with -- a quality product, excellent support, active user forums, open source server software with lots of great user-created plugins, and more and more and more. So although it's not related to my problem, if anyone is reading this, I *highly* recommend you go to their web site (which the forum software won't let me post, since I am a new user, but you can easily find them via google). They recently came out with an audiophile grade player, The Transporter. I'm saving my pennies for that one, but I'm still very very happy with my Squeezebox (and my Squeezebox2 and my Squeezebox3).

Mitch

Hope your enjoying your SR7500 as much as I am. I use it for 5 hours a day and love it to death.

To switch between Speakers A and B and such using the remote, press the Amp button at corner bottom right and then go up and press the number 6 which is has the label "SPK-AB" above it. That button 6 will do the switching just like the button on the main amp. There is no way for the receiver to remember which speakers you liked with which input. You'll just need to get a little more friendly with the remote--one thing I highly recommend is to get to know all its features (even the Macros which could do everything you want it to do with the push of a button!).

Hope that helps you out a bit,

Ryan

Check out the setup and digital artwork!

post #562 of 703 Old 10-25-2006, 12:19 PM

Hi All,

Hope this is the right forum to be posting in. I'm having trouble with the audio configuration - not getting the thunderous bass like I should be getting watching "Stealth" on my samsung blu-ray player.

Here's my setup:

Receiver: Marantz SR7400
Speakers: Def Tech BP 2004s, BP2x for the rears, and a pro center speaker. No separate subwoofer.
DVD Player - Samsung Blu-Ray

Here's my Configuration:

I have speaker level inputs going to the marantz, as well as the LFE inputs. I have LFE cables from each bp2004 that go into a y-connector which is subsquently plugged into the marantz.

I have analog cables going from the samsung blu-ray player to the 7.1 analog inputs on the marantz. When watching blu-ray, I hit the "7.1' button on my marantz remote.

In the Marantz, I typically set the speakers to Large, & subwoofer=yes. I use the 80hz hp/lp setting.

On the samsung blu-ray player, I have the speakers set to large as well. When I do the test tones, everything works. Though the testtone for LFE is substantially quieter than for the Left right or surrounds. BUt its there.

The problem:

When watching the uncompressed PCM soundtrack, I don't here the rattling, wall-shaking bass during the movies that I hear if I'm using the digital output and bitsteram mode. There is bass, just no where near as much. I thought the uncompressed PCM soundtrack should be even better, so I'm quite dissappointed. In Sound and vision and other magazines, the editors rave about the sound quality on the uncompressed pcm tracks.

Any ideas? Is something wrong with my configuration? Or is this normal?

Thanks for any help!
post #563 of 703 Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The LFE has been separated out from the soundtrack by the Blu-Ray player. In order to get the LFE, you have to somehow instruct the Blu-Ray player to mix the LFE in with the mains.

In a receiver this wouldn't be too hard, but this will have to be done in the player - you'll have to tell it you have no sub.

The 7400 can't do this - it has no access to the 7.1 external inputs and can't do anything with it. You can set the mains to large, small or none or the bass mix to LFE, LFE + Main, it doesn't matter, it won't make any difference because the 7.1 is just passed through without any processing whatsoever. Each signal gets passed to each speaker, with only amplification and volume control. I'm not sure if you can even get tone controls in that configuration.
post #564 of 703 Old 10-31-2006, 06:23 PM

Has anyone ran into an issue where turning the volume up or down on your SR8500 takes abnormal amout of time?

I have my SR8500 configured where I sharing it between two rooms. In one room I'm using a 5.1 speaker configuration, with Xantech IR receivers/emitters. In my other room I'm using the "zone 2" feature with stereo configuration and Xantech IR receiver/emitters.

I have no problem during the volume up and down in my "zone 2" room but when I try to turn up the volume in my main room it takes a abnormal amount of time.

At first I thought it was something to do with my Xantech IR receiver but why does it work normal in my second zone?

Anyone have any suggestions?
post #565 of 703 Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 PM

Hi everyone,

The Perfect Vision's Winter 2007 Home Theater Buyers Guide features the 7500 and the 8500 as part of the AVR recommendations. There are not too many units listed, so it's pretty selective. Nice to see the focus of this forum touted so highly.

Cheers,

Rob
post #566 of 703 Old 12-13-2006, 08:08 PM

I have my 7500 connected via component to an aging (but still awesome) Toshiba TW40x81 CRT RPTV. I would like to replace my old Toshiba DVD player (SD 5109).

My questions are:

What type of scaler is in the 7500? It seems to do a great job.

Would I get an improvement over the scaler in the 7500 if I use a DVD player that upconverts over component (getting rare these days) or should I just find a good progressive scan player and let the 7500 continue to do its work?

and no, I cannot afford to fork out some big bucks for a DVDO scaler.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #567 of 703 Old 12-14-2006, 06:04 AM

As far as I know there is no scaler in the 7500. It converts but does not change the resolution. On my display (benq pe7700) I have my cable box connected to the 7500 via s-video and then the 7500 is connected to my pj. In real mode the resolution is standard tv size I have to use my pj to upscale it.
post #568 of 703 Old 12-14-2006, 06:32 AM

So I guess the 7500 upconverts to component, but doesn't have a scaler. I get those terms confused.

I guess the scaler (line doubler?)in the Toshiba rptv is doing the job.

Thanks
post #569 of 703 Old 12-14-2006, 06:45 AM

As an off topic there is a mini review/guide of your tv here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...tv-3-2000.html

Finding an upscalling dvd player over component will be hard but will probably be worth the search.
post #570 of 703 Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post

So I guess the 7500 upconverts to component, but doesn't have a scaler. I get those terms confused.

Why aren't you just using the component out on the 5109?

BTW I still use the 5109 and love it - the 2 disk carriage and the timing displays are irreplaceable.

Ed
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page