"Official" Marantz 7400/7500/8400/8500 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 703 Old 06-05-2005, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i want to give more power to my fronts and center channel with my marantz 7400.
i have the following 5.1 setup.

L/R .paradigm studio 20's v.3
C. CC-570 v.3
Sr/Sl . adp-170 v.2
sub. servo 15.

biwiring or biamping ? and how to achieve both.

im still considerin biwirin the fronts to speaker B terminals cos i read an article on biwiring and biamping which says it would leave cleaner and tighter bass for sub.

i have set my center to +2 db level but can i biamp it to one of the back surrounds terminals??

thanks,. so far ive learned a lot .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 703 Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 AM

[quote=Leaper1998]I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new SR9300, to be delivered Friday, which will replace the Onkyo 777TX. Hopefully it will be a great improvement working my Klipsch Reference-3 speakers.

Okay, it is all wired and working now. I can definitely tell a difference in the sound (more mellow, less sharp). In fact, this was confirmed by measuring the output at various frequencies using Scheffields test CD and a Radio Shack meter. I have an Audio Control Bijou 5-Channel, 1/3 octave equalizer between the pre-out and amp-in of the receiver. I previously had the lower frequencies boosted and some highs decreased when using the Onkyo 777. I now have nearly all frequency bands totally flat.

I do find the RC3200 remote complex. I am still trying to get the Tivo, DVD player & TV on/off programmed properly. I find the volume control on the SR9300 to be sluggish, as if it does not see the IR signal except intermittently. All other functions seem to be fine from the remote. I programmed the volume buttons on the Tivo remote and they have the same delay or non-read IR signal. Only after repeated button pressing will it change the volume by one step.

I won't be able to play with the system again until next weekend but I hope to finish tweaking the set-up then.

Bryan
post #93 of 703 Old 06-07-2005, 09:27 AM

Is the Avia a decent disk to use to setup ref level from the 8500?

I've read different levet on here that people use such as 80db at 0.

Is it what ever sounds go to me or is there a standard?
post #94 of 703 Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 AM

Anybody?
post #95 of 703 Old 06-10-2005, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Paradox, I have Avia but haven't used it to set levels w/ my 7400, except: the other day, I tried to use it to set the SW levels. Strangely, Avia was sending the SW test signals to the mains and not the sub. I definitely have the sub turned on in both the player and the 7400, so I can't figure out what might be the problem. I've never used Avia to set up audio before, so if anybody else has any idea, I'd love to have it.

Thanks,
Doug
post #96 of 703 Old 06-10-2005, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Howdy, geneylim.
No, you must have at least one set of speakers (L-R, Center, and/or Surrounds) set to Small or nothing goes to the sub for those matrix options. I found out the hard way. I was a little disappointed, because my previous low-budget Sony receiver would send signal to the subs even w/ Large speaker settings. Strange...and another example of our favorite whipping boy - the Marantz manual, because it's not mentioned there.

I only use the matrices occasionally when watching TV, and I got tired of having to press the Direct button when watching a DVD because I didn't want the low frequencies redirected, so I changed my speaker settings back to large.

Doug

Hey, I'm quoting myself! Yesterday, I played around with this some more. I discovered that the CS II matrices will send signal to the sub even if speakers are set to large. I didn't have much time to listen and see if I liked what CS II sounds like, but I will report back after I have.

What is CS II? Is it a proprietary Marantz scheme? Has anyone else used it to decode analog TV sound?

Doug

Edit: Oops, I see that geneylim originally wrote that he found it works for CS II.
post #97 of 703 Old 06-10-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post

Is the Avia a decent disk to use to setup ref level from the 8500?

I've read different levet on here that people use such as 80db at 0.

Is it what ever sounds go to me or is there a standard?

I have Avia but did not use that with setting up my 8500. Instead I used Chesky "The Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler & 5.1 Set-Up Disc". This (along with a SPL meter) worked well in configuring the 7.1 chan. analog inputs.

HT Core:- Marantz SR-8500|DVDO iScan HD+|Samsung HLP5085w|Philips ProntoProNG|Download my Pronto PCF here
post #98 of 703 Old 06-10-2005, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I posted this message before but have not had a good answer. Once in a while, when I turn my SR-7400 on, it does a rapid clicking noise before turning on. Usually, it only clicks once when first turned on. Any ideas on what the problem would be before I unplug about 50 wires and bring it in to be looked at?
post #99 of 703 Old 06-10-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I posted this message before but have not had a good answer. Once in a while, when I turn my SR-7400 on, it does a rapid clicking noise before turning on. Usually, it only clicks once when first turned on. Any ideas on what the problem would be before I unplug about 50 wires and bring it in to be looked at?

Is this a "new or different" clicking sound that is different from the usual clicks the Marantz recievers make when they turn on?
post #100 of 703 Old 06-10-2005, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Is this a "new or different" clicking sound that is different from the usual clicks the Marantz recievers make when they turn on?

> It's the same exact sound.
post #101 of 703 Old 06-14-2005, 09:08 PM

On page 20 of the SR8500 pdf under Bass Mix it states that "this setting only has affect during playback of PCM or analog stereo sources AND when the front L/R are set to large and the subwoofer is set to YES."

So does this mean that if you front L/R are set to small and you are listening to a PCM or analog stereo source that the LFE channel will not recieve a signal?
post #102 of 703 Old 06-15-2005, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On page 20 of the SR8500 pdf under Bass Mix it states that "this setting only has affect during playback of PCM or analog stereo sources AND when the front L/R are set to large and the subwoofer is set to YES."

So does this mean that if you front L/R are set to small and you are listening to a PCM or analog stereo source that the LFE channel will not recieve a signal?

I don't think this setting affects LFE at all. Don't forget: LFE is the .1 channel specifically encoded in some Digital surround mixes (e.g. DD 5.1, DTS 5.1). The LFE only goes to the sub, unless you don't have a sub and the receiver then redirects the LFE into the L/R along w/ the regular bass frequencies.

This setting apparently affects low bass received from a stereo signal that would normally only go to the L/R. When you set the receiver to Stereo (not Direct) or CS II, it will send the low bass signal to both the L/R and the sub. It will not affect Direct, Dolby PL II, DTS, etc.

Doug
post #103 of 703 Old 06-15-2005, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is CS II? Is it a proprietary Marantz scheme? Has anyone else used it to decode analog TV sound?

CSII is not proprietary to Marantz. I'm not sure what other receiver manufacturers use it, but my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 has it as well. CSII is a product of SRS Labs - they also provide the TruSurround mode used when you plug in headphones. Their site indicates that Kenwood receivers use CSII also.

I have used it on analog TV once or twice, mostly the Mono mode as that's the only mono mode there is in the receiver, but for most analog TV viewing you can't beat Dolby Pro-Logic IIx. If the source is mono (very rare these days) then CSII Mono mode, as the matrix decoding formats will place the sound in the centre speaker alone. It should be noted this is normal for a matrix decoding format encountering a mono signal.
post #104 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 AM

Glad to see a Marantz thread started.

I am an owner of a SR 7400 and thought I would share my experience so far.

First the good.

I concur with most other people that the Marantz has a wonderful sound and if you listen closely, would concur that it has a warm sound but not night and day different than my previous receiver, the Yamaha 2095.

I purchased a refurbished unit from accessories4less and their service is excellent and when i had a probelm, they were very responsive. When I had to send my unit in for repairs, they advised me where to send and volunteered to provide me a copy of my purchase invoice if i needed it. In addition, the repair facilty was very fast in repairing the unit and were cooperative in responding in a professional way on my second unit problem by agreeing to pay shipping the second time.

Now the bad news. This is my first Marantz and in my many years of purchasing hi-fi equipment, the first reciver I have ever had a problem with and now I have had two in less than 6 months. The first problem was that i was not getting any sound. No matter what source I fed the receiver, it would show on the FL screen that it was analog then the speaker configuration screen would dissappear. When i got the unit back and set up, after some doing, I got the sound out of all speakers but no FL screen no matter what I did.
When I contacted the repair facility, they assured me it was working when it left them so it must have been done in shipping and informed me that i would have to pay shipping again. When i complained, they referred me to someone else who immediately made arragnements to have it picked up the next day at their expense. The turn around time was quick and I anticipate this repair to be fast. I will post my findings when it is returned again.
post #105 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome, Daffy. I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Let us know how it turns out. I haven't had a single problem w/ my 7400.

Could the problem be the Display Mode (p. 26 of the manual)? If the unit was set to Auto Display off or Display Off, that could be why you don't see anything on the FL screen. I'm sure you tried this setting, but just thought I try to help.

Doug
post #106 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post

CSII is not proprietary to Marantz. I'm not sure what other receiver manufacturers use it, but my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 has it as well. CSII is a product of SRS Labs - they also provide the TruSurround mode used when you plug in headphones. Their site indicates that Kenwood receivers use CSII also.

The new Yamaha RXV-4600 will also feature the CSII format

I have used it on analog TV once or twice, mostly the Mono mode as that's the only mono mode there is in the receiver, but for most analog TV viewing you can't beat Dolby Pro-Logic IIx. If the source is mono (very rare these days) then CSII Mono mode, as the matrix decoding formats will place the sound in the centre speaker alone. It should be noted this is normal for a matrix decoding format encountering a mono signal.

My experience with CSII Mono is different. A PCM source (e.g. DirecTV) when played back in CSII mono mode appears to output the same content in all channels except the subwoofer (5.1 setup on SR8500). However, I find CSII cinema best for listening to this kind of audio source (i.e. DirecTV), especially with the added SRS Dialog and TrueBass parameters.

I find CSII implementation in the Marantz to be much more tolerable and subtle than the Logic7 implementation in a previous HK I had, which would always default to "Logic7 Music" mode when channel hopping.

HT Core:- Marantz SR-8500|DVDO iScan HD+|Samsung HLP5085w|Philips ProntoProNG|Download my Pronto PCF here
post #107 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmexec View Post

My experience with CSII Mono is different. A PCM source (e.g. DirecTV) when played back in CSII mono mode appears to output the same content in all channels except the subwoofer (5.1 setup on SR8500). However, I find CSII cinema best for listening to this kind of audio source (i.e. DirecTV), especially with the added SRS Dialog and TrueBass parameters.

Yes, CSII mono seems (to me) to output the same sound from all speakers. This is kind of disappointing. The Denon mono movie mode is much nicer, putting the same signal in the fronts and a delayed signal in the surrounds.

It's still better than mono sound with any matrix decoding mode (which puts it in the centre only).

I found CSII Cinema used way too much of the surrounds. It was very distracting. PLIIx is much, much more subtle. Too subtle sometimes, it's hard to tell that the surrounds are doing anything at all, but they are.
post #108 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 02:38 PM

From what I read, if you have the display off, you can still see the symbol "display off". Secondly, I set receiver at the factory default setting and still no display. Hopefully I will get it back this week. I am already developing withdrawl pains.
post #109 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post

Now the bad news. This is my first Marantz and in my many years of purchasing hi-fi equipment, the first reciver I have ever had a problem with and now I have had two in less than 6 months. The first problem was that i was not getting any sound. No matter what source I fed the receiver, it would show on the FL screen that it was analog then the speaker configuration screen would dissappear. When i got the unit back and set up, after some doing, I got the sound out of all speakers but no FL screen no matter what I did.
When I contacted the repair facility, they assured me it was working when it left them so it must have been done in shipping and informed me that i would have to pay shipping again. When i complained, they referred me to someone else who immediately made arragnements to have it picked up the next day at their expense. The turn around time was quick and I anticipate this repair to be fast. I will post my findings when it is returned again.

This sounds like the unit was set to "AT" or "ANA" for the input and tried to find an analog signal. The speaker diagram disappearing for analog sources is normal.

Regarding the display, I'll do some tests tonight.
post #110 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post

If it was set at AT or ANA once I rest unit at factory default it should have corrected itself shouldn't it?

Hmm, yeah.

Same with the display.
post #111 of 703 Old 06-20-2005, 02:51 PM

If it was set at AT or ANA once I rest unit at factory default it should have corrected itself shouldn't it?
post #112 of 703 Old 06-24-2005, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Just want to see if anybody else has feedback or tips? I love my 8400!

Pat
post #113 of 703 Old 06-24-2005, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

Just want to see if anybody else has feedback or tips? I love my 8400!

Pat

The problem is, these units are fairly issue free.

So nothing extra so far for me at least.

The only thing I wish is that the V-OFF setting would remember its state when you shut the unit off. No big deal, it doesn't seem to have an audible effect for me, I just like the idea.
post #114 of 703 Old 06-25-2005, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:

The problem is, these units are fairly issue free.

So nothing extra so far for me at least.

The only thing I wish is that the V-OFF setting would remember its state when you shut the unit off. No big deal, it doesn't seem to have an audible effect for me, I just like the idea.

That's funny? I don't use the V-Off feature but it remembers every other setting, I think?

Once I figured it out, I really love that remote control. The only thing is that the Mouse funtion to move the cursor cannot be programmed into this, so I need to keep two remotes instead of 1. It's better than 7!

Have fun!

Pat
post #115 of 703 Old 06-25-2005, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

I really love that remote control.

It's miles better than any included receiver remote I've ever bought, and it does replace all my other remotes.

The only thing I don't like is more my fault - I keep forgetting what mode it's in, try to type in a TV channel and end up changing a setting on the receiver.
post #116 of 703 Old 06-25-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's miles better than any included receiver remote I've ever bought, and it does replace all my other remotes.

It handles everything pretty well for me, except the DirecTV remote. Some of the menu functions don't work, but I can live w/ it.

Quote:

The only thing I don't like is more my fault - I keep forgetting what mode it's in, try to type in a TV channel and end up changing a setting on the receiver.

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that!

Doug
post #117 of 703 Old 06-25-2005, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that!

My favorite channels are in the 4X range, nearly every time I have it on I end up activating the 7.1 channel input, and to get out if it you have to select 7.1 input again, then (because it reverts to Stereo with Autosurround mode) you have to press the double-D button to get back to PLIIx mode.

It's hard to see the LCD text I guess, and I don't use the backlighting as much as I should.
post #118 of 703 Old 06-26-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My favorite channels are in the 4X range, nearly every time I have it on I end up activating the 7.1 channel input, and to get out if it you have to select 7.1 input again, then (because it reverts to Stereo with Autosurround mode) you have to press the double-D button to get back to PLIIx mode.

It's hard to see the LCD text I guess, and I don't use the backlighting as much as I should.

At my advanced age, it's nearly impossible for me to read the buttons, unless it's broad daylight or I hold the remote under a lamp. I memorized the buttons I use most.

I have a similar problem w/ the 7.1 button. I switch to another device, for example DVD, then realize 7.1 is on, and push 4. Of course, the 7.1 only switches on and off when you've selected Amp as the device, so I end up changing something else, have to change it back, select Amp, then press 4 to turn off 7.1. On previous receivers, the 7.1 (or 5.1) button is dedicated to that, and you could switch it on or off regardless of which device you selected on the remote. This seems to be a small design flaw on the Marantz remote.

Doug
post #119 of 703 Old 06-26-2005, 08:46 AM

I have a URC-100 (yeah, the $50 one!) that works very well overall.
all of my components are behind closed doors and the RF-> IR is sweet

anyone else using one of their remotes for the 8400?

what codes works best?

I think I used 028 but many functions still had to be 'learned' manually

audiologist
post #120 of 703 Old 06-26-2005, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a similar problem w/ the 7.1 button. I switch to another device, for example DVD, then realize 7.1 is on, and push 4. Of course, the 7.1 only switches on and off when you've selected Amp as the device, so I end up changing something else, have to change it back, select Amp, then press 4 to turn off 7.1. On previous receivers, the 7.1 (or 5.1) button is dedicated to that, and you could switch it on or off regardless of which device you selected on the remote. This seems to be a small design flaw on the Marantz remote.

Ah, so it's like the receiver treats 7.1 as a seperate device.

What gets me is the Autosurround mode. It's useless - it picks the most inappropriate setting for 2-channel analog sources. Always stereo, never PLIIx.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page