Saw the new Arcam AVP 700 Processor today... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1636 Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
...and it was very nice. HDMI switching, balanced outs and video upconversion (I'm trying to determine if it upconverts to HDMI or Component). The dealer hadn't even hooked it up so it was just a static display. I may go back tomorrow for a listen...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1636 Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news. I was told today that they were being tested for the next 30 days by the importer / distributor? Needless to say, I was bummed.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #3 of 1636 Old 07-05-2005, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Where at? Premire?
post #4 of 1636 Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRiS1 View Post

Where at? Premire?

Yes, on Rainbow...

post #5 of 1636 Old 07-06-2005, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
what is the cost?

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #6 of 1636 Old 07-06-2005, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dealer said MSRP is $2099...

John

post #7 of 1636 Old 07-06-2005, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Thanks John.

I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on it. Can you post what you know?

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #8 of 1636 Old 07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I bought a black one today. It's sitting at the dealer in Dallas as we speak. I get to pick it up in the morning! I'll post some findings ASAP.

post #9 of 1636 Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Curtis:

Here is some info:

http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/DiVAAVP700flier.pdf

I'm debating the purchase. Better let Patrick get some "hands on" time with it...

John

post #10 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 AM

Which dealer in Dallas Patrick?
post #11 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought it at Krystal Clear Audio, over by 35 & Oak Lawn. It's my first purchase from them, so we'll see. As soon as the storm passes, I'll go grab it.

Krystal Clear

post #12 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Patrick, I'm curious, will you be selling your Pioneer 56TX? Not that I want to buy it, mind you, I'm just wondering at the reasons behind the upgrade.

Were you just looking for a change or have you been considering this for a while?
post #13 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

It say it has Dolby Prologic IIx with full music mode support. I hope this includes Dolby 2 channel virtural surround stereo.

post #14 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post

Patrick, I'm curious, will you be selling your Pioneer 56TX? Not that I want to buy it, mind you, I'm just wondering at the reasons behind the upgrade.

Were you just looking for a change or have you been considering this for a while?

I am keeping the 56TXI / 59AVI to use in the Den. I may need another 59AVI with the new PJ (Optoma H78DC3). The 56 is a great HT AVR, but I need something that shines with my speakers in a more musical sense. Arcam stuff is supposed to sound incredible with music. The HDMI switching is a major plus as well for the PJ. We shall see.

post #15 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX View Post

Hey guys, I bought a black one today. It's sitting at the dealer in Dallas as we speak. I get to pick it up in the morning! I'll post some findings ASAP.

HEY PATRICK !!! sorry for shouting (-:

Did you pick it up today???!!! Did you get the Amp as well? Somebody said, maybe it was you or maybe it was just a dream that the Amp was delayed until the end of the month??

Can't wait for your initial impressions!!

Rick
post #16 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey,
I managed to get it sitting on the rack this evening, but got busy. I'll hook it up in 2 channel mode tomorrow. MSRP is all I could get, and it pained me to pay it. If the unit is half as good as the AVR is supposed to be, it's a downright STEAL. Incredible audio, HDMI, and balanced inputs for $2,200 is a great deal.

The build quality seems quite nice, very NAD'ish. The unit is not as heavy as my previous Rotel processor, much lighter from memory. It has a matte black finish, and green Vacuum Flourecent display. It looks very classy, & uncheezy.

I'll post some thoughts after I get it all hooked up. I'll be mating it in 2 channel mode tomorrow, as I'm not ready for the full 7.1 for a couple weeks.

I'll be mating it with a Parasound HCA-2205AT Amp, B&W CDM-9NT's, and my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI or Denon DVD-2900 (not sure). I'll probably wait on uncrating the Sub (SVS PB2+), center (B&W CDM-CNT), & Surrounds (B&W LM1's) until the HT is ready.

Patrick

post #17 of 1636 Old 07-07-2005, 10:01 PM

Liked: 15
You're prolonging the suspense dude! I currently have a Pioneer 45TX which I love, but definitely am intrigued by the Arcam.
post #18 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, we've spent some quality time now . I got her hooked up in 2 channel mode this morning. I am sending a PCM signal via a Denon DVD-2900 for now. The setup was very easy as well. That's one of the positives IMO. This processor is very clean front panelwise, especially compared to an Anthem. Basic setup took me about 2 minutes. Finding my Redbook CD's took around an hour and a half ! Moving is a bitch, but if it facilitates an upgrade...

I was able to demo a CD that I am VERY familiar with in 2 channel, Erykah Badu's "Baduizm". This is one of my favorites for seeing what a processor as well as a full range tower can do in 2 channel. Well, the news is OH SO GOOD. This Arcam is DEAD quiet. I was able to detect zero hiss no matter what I did, most impressive.

I am lucky to have had my speakers (B&W CDM-9NT's) for a couple of years, and my Amp (Parasound HCA-2205AT) for a few months. Break in is over, except for the processor (maybe). I'm not really convinced a processor really needs to break in, but that's another debate for another thread.

Lets get to the good part, the sound. Many processors I have looked at have all the bells & whisles that one could EVER want (except I-Link, Integra owners be queit ). When I have listened to many of them, so many seem to suffer in straight 2 channel. I could describe the sound of some as clean. Compared to this Arcam, some sound downright antiseptic. This processor sounds better in 2 channel mode than any processor I've ever heard. I feel like I'm listening to a high end analog preamp. There is not a hint of brightness at all. As a matter of fact, it just sounds so sugary sweet I'm not believing it!

I had a very difficult time debating the Arcam over the AVM30 (post rumored upgrade). Several factors came into play for my situation.

Time - The Arcam hit at a time when I needed one NOW, and the person who had preordered it fell out. I need the HDMI switching NOW as well. I am running a FP setup through my processor. The waiting game with the Anthem is getting ridiculous.

Price - I paid MSRP for the Arcam, $2,200. With the feature set of this processor, a bargain. Factor in how freaking MUSICAL it is, it's HIGHWAY ROBBERY compared to it's competition. The Anthem is $3000, pre upgrade. The upgrade will certainly add a chunk to that MSRP, maybe $4-500? Who knows?

Support - Probably a push. Anthem is legendary for offering top notch service, and user upgradeable firmware. Arcam is known for the same, but the dealer flashes the firmware (no charge). In house service & a loaner is an added benefit in my situation. The fact that John Dawson, the Founder & CEO of Arcam is a member of AVS forum is a plus. He has been taking the time to patiently answer our questions (even on Holiday). NICE. Arcam listens to customers regarding features they like or dislike, and can implement them via firmware (like Rotel), excellent.

Warranty - 2 years on the Arcam, 5 years on the Anthem. Advantage Anthem. The Anthem warranty is only to the original owner, the Arcam warranty doesn't say it's non-transferrable, or only for the original owner. Advantage Arcam. Overall, PUSH.

The future - WHEN and IF the AVM30 gets HDMI scaling, it will be a HT monster if it's done right. It will be an amazing HT machine, no question. The Arcam is not going to compete in that range. It is what it it now. Exactly what that is videowise remains to be seen in my setup, as I'm a couple weeks away.

Sound - I have heard the Anthem many times at a few different dealers, but never with B&W. I heard it with Paradigm 100's and also with Energy Veritas towers. It sounded good with the Veritas, OK with the 100's. I'm not a fan of the 100's, so to each his own. The Anthem sounded AMAZING in DD, DTS, & PLII. With music, not mind blowing IMO. I could easily live with it in a heartbeat.

The Arcam is a different beast. I have never even heard it in multi-channel, so who the heck knows? The initial reports on the AVR300 border on ridiculous! I have NEVER seen copy like this machine has gotten. More to come. I can say this, the hype on the musicality is NO LIE. It is simply breathtaking. Period.

post edidted for pricing.

post #19 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Where did you get the $4000 price for the Anthem, btw? MSRP is $3,000. I got mine brand new for $2,700, and I'm sure $2,500 is not out of the question for a street price.

Too bad you couldn't put both of them in your room with your speakers (or mine for that matter! I'd love to see if it lives up to the hype). Question: does the Arcam have separate setting modes for music and cinema? This is one of those "how did I live without it" things that lets me, for example, bump the sub level up a few dbs for movie sources and keep it flat for music. I even go one step further and assign two inputs for my HD DirecTV receiver/DVR. One for general movie/tv use (defaults to DD/PLIIx and movie settings), and one for the DirecTV music channels (defaults to stereo and music settings).

Chris
post #20 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 12:43 PM

PCM is the worst sounding of the modes. Wait until you hear passthrough.
post #21 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

It's odd that you would say that PCM is the worst, since that would imply that the DACs in the Arcam are worse than those in your CD player. I'm guessing that passthrough is only using the pre-amp stage of the Arcam with no processing. What is your CD player, just out of curiosity?

Chris
post #22 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 12:59 PM

No the DACS (Wolfson) are great but PCM is run through the DSP and not overly transparent compared to the other modes of this AMAZING Pre/Pro.
post #23 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Mag...

I thought you had the AVR?

Can either of you guys tell me does the Arcam(s) handle multiple subs?

(Thanks)

Dave

post #24 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 01:22 PM

Have both right now. Just doing testing between them.
post #25 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Cool...

let us know how it goes.

Dave

post #26 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Will for sure guys. After the first few hours in certain modes we prefer the 300 in blind testing.
post #27 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDixon View Post

It's odd that you would say that PCM is the worst, since that would imply that the DACs in the Arcam are worse than those in your CD player. I'm guessing that passthrough is only using the pre-amp stage of the Arcam with no processing. What is your CD player, just out of curiosity?

Chris

I was thinking the exact same thing. One would naturally assume the Wolfsons in the Arcam to be superior to the Denon 2900's. I'll have to try that out. Magnepan, what is your transport?

post #28 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnepan View Post

No the DACS (Wolfson) are great but PCM is run through the DSP and not overly transparent compared to the other modes of this AMAZING Pre/Pro.

You are finding better results with analog RCA's?

post #29 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX View Post

You are finding better results with analog RCA's?

Yeah it's not even close Patrick. The soundstage totally blooms and transparency is markedly increased. Even the Neo6 Music mode is more transparent than the stereo PCM. It's extremely weak.
post #30 of 1636 Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I need to give that a shot. Which transport Maggie?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page