The "Official" Denon AVR-4806 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 2715 Old 07-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Member
 
dshmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

Can we get a little more chatter from you 4806 owners?

Another weekend has come and gone so a lot of tweek'n and chang'n and fiddl'n should have taken place. Maybe you are all locked in your home theater rooms laughing at all of us non owners.

I bought my 4806 this weekend and am still setting up my TSU7000 remote to include all the Denon disrete codes. Hence, I have not been able to fully set the receiver up. I can say that the sound quality is far and above the Yammy HTR5280 that it replaces (even with an Adcom GFA-1A outboard 200 watt amp). Very clean and smooth sounding mids and highs with a very deep soundstage. I could not believe how much better this unit makes my Athena AS-F2s sound. The 4806 makes me wonder if I need to get the Martin Logan Clarity upgrade to replace the Athena's. I have yet to explore all that the 4806 has to offer, but my initial reaction is WOW - money well spent. The THX Ultra2 spec really means this thing can hang out with the big boys of the amp world. I you have 3 HDMI sources, 3 VCRs, and 17 other components you need to plug in, then buy the 4806. If you don't, buy it anyway as it is the perfect backbone for a solid HT system that can play in the 2 channel sandbox without shame.
dshmel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Rabid1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshmel View Post

I bought my 4806 this weekend and am still setting up my TSU7000 remote to include all the Denon disrete codes. Hence, I have not been able to fully set the receiver up. I can say that the sound quality is far and above the Yammy HTR5280 that it replaces (even with an Adcom GFA-1A outboard 200 watt amp). Very clean and smooth sounding mids and highs with a very deep soundstage. I could not believe how much better this unit makes my Athena AS-F2s sound. The 4806 makes me wonder if I need to get the Martin Logan Clarity upgrade to replace the Athena's. I have yet to explore all that the 4806 has to offer, but my initial reaction is WOW - money well spent. The THX Ultra2 spec really means this thing can hang out with the big boys of the amp world. I you have 3 HDMI sources, 3 VCRs, and 17 other components you need to plug in, then buy the 4806. If you don't, buy it anyway as it is the perfect backbone for a solid HT system that can play in the 2 channel sandbox without shame.

Congrats on your purchase!

I've been into HT for over 10 years, and this bad-boy just blows me away!! Wait til you get 'er tweaked. You'll find yourself listening to all your old DVD's just to see what you missed
Rabid1 is offline  
post #93 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Abell2218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Don't be terribly surprised that Denon may not have a clue that the MultEQ upgrade is coming for the 4806. My source is Chris at Audyssey.

Is there another board somewhere that Chris is hanging out on? he seems to have dropped off of here.
Abell2218 is offline  
post #94 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Don't know, but you're right. Haven't seen him here in quite a while. I know he is really busy with lots of feedback from the field from installers, which he says is mostly rave. But installers are on a learning curve, too, and Chris is good about responding to them. That said, we are learning that there are enough nuances of the manufacturer's product (AVR/controller) that must work in harmony with MultEQ, that even Chris has to go find an answer sometimes. And to some extent he is working with installers who are really investing the time to learn how to squeeze the best performance out of the marriage with a particular product.

I think the next wave of Audyssey developments will be to license manufacturers to make "MultEQ ready" products. I suspect this will be somewhat like the 4806 does for XM Radio. They will simultaneously seek out installers to be Audyssey dealers who can "install" MultEQ capabilities into the device via proprietary software and "keys." They will also be able to install firmware updates.
Cam Man is offline  
post #95 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Abell2218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Don't know, but you're right. Haven't seen him here in quite a while. I know he is really busy with lots of feedback from the field from installers, which he says is mostly rave. But installers are on a learning curve, too, and Chris is good about responding to them. That said, we are learning that there are enough nuances of the manufacturer's product (AVR/controller) that must work in harmony with MultEQ, that even Chris has to go find an answer sometimes. And to some extent he is working with installers who are really investing the time to learn how to squeeze the best performance out of the marriage with a particular product.

I think the next wave of Audyssey developments will be to license manufacturers to make "MultEQ ready" products. I suspect this will be somewhat like the 4806 does for XM Radio. They will simultaneously seek out installers to be Audyssey dealers who can "install" MultEQ capabilities into the device via proprietary software and "keys." They will also be able to install firmware updates.

He just re-appeared in the 5805 thread when someone complained about the update lagging.

The squeaky wheel...

Then again the 5805 has been out longer and costs more so I do not begrudge them their update, when they get it. It will, hopefully, eventually lead to some improvements for us 4806ers over time.
Abell2218 is offline  
post #96 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sergiohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well got mine today and after hours of swaping cables around I finally got it installed. Ran the auto-setup placing the microphone on a tripod and to my surprise, it did not work well. First it told me a bunch of speakers were out-of-phase (I rechecked and all the connections were correct, the manual states this can happen and you can press skip). So I did skip, chose two listening positions only and everything came back wrong! Front speakers set to Small (and they should be large), distance to most speakers set to 0 (zero) feet!!! In sum a mess. All my speakers are Martin Logan (except for the two rear surrounds - it is a 7.1 configuration).
So, is this a bug ? Should I contact Denon ? I know I could increase the listening positions but according to what I read in this thread this would not affect the time distance which to me is the most grievous mistake.
Any thoughts ???
sergiohm is offline  
post #97 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Well, hang in there because this is not typical.

Let me ask some questions. Don't take offense; just covering bases.

Was it quiet in the room?

How reverberant is the room?

Was your first position (the "primary listening position") reasonably symetrical to the speaker array?

Did you use this position through just the first long "speaker detect" (sometimes 45 seconds between side surround back tones and back surround tones)? If so, you're okay so far. If not, even though it may not have a seat in it, go to the show center symetrical location (same row) as your primary seating and run that first pass. After that pass when it calls for position two, put it in your actual primary seats in that row (probably no more than 3 or 4 abreast). Your subsequent positions should be two feet behind your primary seating, located symetrically along the length of the primary row. In other words at thirds positions. And also the same two feet in front of the primary row.

Try again and let us know how it goes.
Cam Man is offline  
post #98 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Hyabusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have Klipsch RF-7's for fronts and the RC-7 for the center. The auto eq set them to large, should I leave It, or do the common thing and set them to small?

P.S. I have 3 sub's In my system.

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

Hyabusha is offline  
post #99 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 88
We're all kind of struggling/experimenting with that. If you go to speaker configuration menu and change the setting to small, then go to crossover settings, advanced, (last menu item), you may notice that the crossover is set to something less than 80 (maybe 60Hz as are my Klipsch KL-650s). Then go to subwoofer set up and check to see it is set to LFE/THX. Then you will have a meaningful set up where the mains will not be duplicating the subs in a phase non-coherent manner (which is the case if you set the sub to LFE+Main and the speaker left at large). The Audyssey green light will change to red because you have changed something that it chose, but its calculations and EQ will still be in effect, and you will be more accurately reproducing the original recording/mix (presuming that is your goal.

Oops, I just noticed your sub info. How are you handling the multiple subs?
Cam Man is offline  
post #100 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Rabid1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

Well got mine today and after hours of swaping cables around I finally got it installed. Ran the auto-setup placing the microphone on a tripod and to my surprise, it did not work well. First it told me a bunch of speakers were out-of-phase (I rechecked and all the connections were correct, the manual states this can happen and you can press skip). So I did skip, chose two listening positions only and everything came back wrong! Front speakers set to Small (and they should be large), distance to most speakers set to 0 (zero) feet!!! In sum a mess. All my speakers are Martin Logan (except for the two rear surrounds - it is a 7.1 configuration).
So, is this a bug ? Should I contact Denon ? I know I could increase the listening positions but according to what I read in this thread this would not affect the time distance which to me is the most grievous mistake.
Any thoughts ???

I stronly suspect a bad mic.
Rabid1 is offline  
post #101 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
"If you go to speaker configuration menu and change the setting to small.."

Wouldn't screw up the fre response if the subs and mains don't have the same responses as each other between the new and old XO freq's?

Thanks

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #102 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Hyabusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Two RSW-15's stacked for the front sub out, and a Definitive Supercube Reference In the back for the rear sub out. All speakers are set to small with 80hz crossover setting.

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

Hyabusha is offline  
post #103 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sergiohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Well, hang in there because this is not typical.

Let me ask some questions. Don't take offense; just covering bases.

Was it quiet in the room?

Yes, very quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

How reverberant is the room?

Not a lot, normal, as a matter of fact it is on the "low" side for reverberant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Was your first position (the "primary listening position") reasonably symetrical to the speaker array?

Yep. I did use a Pioneer Elite before with MCACC in the same setup and everything came out all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post


Did you use this position through just the first long "speaker detect" (sometimes 45 seconds between side surround back tones and back surround tones)? If so, you're okay so far.

Try again and let us know how it goes.

I did use the symetrical location and have tried a couple of times, every time the same result: front speaker small, and 0 feet for distance.
When I try any EQ at all it sounds terrible, very noisy. The crossover of course is all wrong starting at 250 !!!
sergiohm is offline  
post #104 of 2715 Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Noah,

I don't think so. In fact it will allow for a proper splice between sub and mains which sums to make the proper splice. But...we are going to confirm this with electrical measurement asap. If possible, I will post the RTA plot to demo.

Hyabusha,

So you have two sub locations. Are they equadistant from the "primary listening location?" If not, MultEQ in the 4806 will not be able to resolve the sub (it presumes one sub) having two arrival times. This could result in MultEQ making bad decisions about the low frequencies. Same could happen if one of them is in a very bad acoustic location. I run two subs, but they could not be equadistant and acoustically correct. The only fix was to delay one sub seperately, then match the levels of the two seperately. Then MultEQ was tricked into treating both subs as one. Works great.

Sergiohm,

I would look into a return and swap for that unit. That's looks like a major failure out of the box. If your dealer has another, you might talk him into letting you try another mic from that one. But be prepared to go for a swap if that doesn't work.
Cam Man is offline  
post #105 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Member
 
JoeWanabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posed these questions in two other threads, 4806 auditioned and bought and Denon avr5805 arrived (since question #1 is an Audessey issue) but received no responses. Maybe some here might have some ideas or suggestions. This is my first experience with higher end components so I don't know much about them.


Here are the questions:
"1) Since the 4806 will be in a different room from the theater, I needed a longer cord for the set up mic. The extension cord that I purchased, I believe it was intended for headphones (unbeKnown to me), has stereo plugs but I noticed the mic is mono. Will the Auto setup be done correctly using this cord? I spoke with the vendor of the cable and they said they think it will work but didn't really know. If this won't work, does anyone know where I can purchase a compatable mono cord 20 - 25'?

2) Reading through the user manual, I'm still a little confused. If I want to set up a second zone and also have 7.1 in the theater do I have to use the rear surrounds for zone 2 and surrounds A and B for my side and rear surrounds in the theater or can I use surround A and rear surround for the theater and surround B for zone 2? Will it make a difference with the 7.1 set up if surround B is used for the rear instead of rear surround?

Thanks to anyone who may have answers."

For #1 you might say try it and see. I intend to do that when everything is in place, but how will I know if it actually did the setup correctly. I guess if it sounds good then it worked.

Thanks for listening.
JoeWanabe is offline  
post #106 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Abell2218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWanabe View Post

Here are the questions:
"1) Since the 4806 will be in a different room from the theater, I needed a longer cord for the set up mic. The extension cord that I purchased, I believe it was intended for headphones (unbeKnown to me), has stereo plugs but I noticed the mic is mono. Will the Auto setup be done correctly using this cord? I spoke with the vendor of the cable and they said they think it will work but didn't really know. If this won't work, does anyone know where I can purchase a compatable mono cord 20 - 25'?

2) Reading through the user manual, I'm still a little confused. If I want to set up a second zone and also have 7.1 in the theater do I have to use the rear surrounds for zone 2 and surrounds A and B for my side and rear surrounds in the theater or can I use surround A and rear surround for the theater and surround B for zone 2? Will it make a difference with the 7.1 set up if surround B is used for the rear instead of rear surround?

1)If I am thinking correctly using a stereo mini-plug extension on a mono connection should not be a problem. My guess is that you will be able to tell if it is a problem or not immediately (i.e. it will get no signal while testing the speakers and will let you know...)

2) You might need to reword this question, as it is not quite clear to me what you are asking (which might be why you haven't gotten any responses).

My answer to what I think you are asking: The amplifier and speaker connection assignments are flexible as you will notice when you set it up in the menus. I believe you can set the a or b surround connections (and some of the others) for the extra zones. You don't have to specifically use the rear connections. BOTTOM LINE:The only real limitation if you have a 7.1 setup in the main zone is that you won't be able to simultaneously run 7.1 surround and the second zone because there are not that many amps in the reciever.

Being limited by the speaker connections on the back would only occur if 1) you want to have a 3rd stereo zone, 2) you want to biamp the front speakers , or 3) You have 2 seperate speaker set ups in the main zone for surround music versus surround cinema (since they have different optimal speaker arrangements, which is discussed in the manual).

Probably clear as mud, but when you play with the amp settings you will figure this stuff out.
Abell2218 is offline  
post #107 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Member
 
JoeWanabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Able, thanks for the response. Hopefully the cable will work since it was the only one I could find.

Sorry my second question wasn't clear. I think you got the gist of it. I will be running 7.1 in the theater and I also want to set up a second zone for stereo listening outside the theater. I do not intend to run both at the same time. I believe that the documentation shows the second zone on the rear speaker inputs and that's what was confusing me. I wanted to use the rear speaker inputs for 7.1 in the theater and use either surround A or B for zone two. If I had to use the rear speaker inputs for zone two, I wasn't sure if I could use surround A for side surrounds and surround B for rear surrounds.

Thanks again for the response. Enjoy your 4806.
JoeWanabe is offline  
post #108 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sergiohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, although I'm quite sure I had wired my speakers correctly, I decided to follow the 4806 analysis and swapped the cables for the front l/r, center (according to the receiver they were out-of-phase) and back surround l/r. Then setup complained the back surround were not connected! So, I went and rechecked the cables (long-run cables), after rechecking, ran again and the receiver complained the back surround l/r were out-of-phase! So, I swapped the cables (back to their original position) and ran again. Voila! Finally I got through the speaker detection phase! Why on earth does it think my front l/r and center were out-of-phase I do not know.
So finally ran the last phase and chose 6 positions to get a better EQ. At the end it told me I had all small speakers (not true but hey who am I to argue ?), but it correctly set the time/distance and the crossover looked alright.
Reading through this thread, I read that for eletrostatic (I have 5 Marting Logans) it would be advisable to do readings at the same position at two different height levels, so I re-ran everything again and chose 8 positions (in reality 4 positions taken at 2 different height levels). And now yes got the results I wanted, Front L/R-Large, Surrond L/R-Large, the rest Small and the crossover looked alright.
I'm still puzzled as to the phase issue with the Front and Center, given the problem I had with the back surrounds, I suspect it maybe a cable issue although the Fronts have pretty good cabling (Audio Quest Granite) and the Center a Monster with a good gauge.
In the end a Happy Ending with a Mystery
The sound is really great, the Audyssey and Flat EQs sounding really fine, my son (6-year old) is already watching his movie while I got do some chores - wish I could join him
sergiohm is offline  
post #109 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Abell2218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

Well, although I'm quite sure I had wired my speakers correctly, I decided to follow the 4806 analysis and swapped the cables for the front l/r, center (according to the receiver they were out-of-phase) and back surround l/r. Then setup complained the back surround were not connected! So, I went and rechecked the cables (long-run cables), after rechecking, ran again and the receiver complained the back surround l/r were out-of-phase! So, I swapped the cables (back to their original position) and ran again. Voila! Finally I got through the speaker detection phase! Why on earth does it think my front l/r and center were out-of-phase I do not know.
So finally ran the last phase and chose 6 positions to get a better EQ. At the end it told me I had all small speakers (not true but hey who am I to argue ?), but it correctly set the time/distance and the crossover looked alright.
Reading through this thread, I read that for eletrostatic (I have 5 Marting Logans) it would be advisable to do readings at the same position at two different height levels, so I re-ran everything again and chose 8 positions (in reality 4 positions taken at 2 different height levels). And now yes got the results I wanted, Front L/R-Large, Surrond L/R-Large, the rest Small and the crossover looked alright.
I'm still puzzled as to the phase issue with the Front and Center, given the problem I had with the back surrounds, I suspect it maybe a cable issue although the Fronts have pretty good cabling (Audio Quest Granite) and the Center a Monster with a good gauge.
In the end a Happy Ending with a Mystery
The sound is really great, the Audyssey and Flat EQs sounding really fine, my son (6-year old) is already watching his movie while I got do some chores - wish I could join him

Note that I would NOT swap the connections just because the auto setup tells you that the speaker MIGHT be out of phase. It is just taking a guess based on the tests. I would just double/triple check the connections. I have run set up many times (experimenting...) and it occasionally throws a possible out of phase flag up, but my speakers are not out of phase.
Abell2218 is offline  
post #110 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Newbie
 
Scyntax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Running the 8300HD STB to the HDMI port (which is HDCP compatible) on my display works well. Audio is handled by running the digital optical audio from the 8300 to the AVR-4806. The monitor is set to recognize all formats except 480I.

I purchased the 4806 primarily for its HDMI switching capability and decoders. When I send the 8300HD to the 4806 via HDMI (both video and audio), things get real ugly. Hitting the "Guide" button, the "My DVR" button, or when the scan rate changes formats, the 4806 looses the video signal. I have to either shut off the 4806 or change inputs so that the unit reaquires the video. Doesn't matter in what sequence the equipment is turned on, any change in format or function causes this loss of video. As long as the scan rate stays the same between channels, there is no loss of video.

It appears to me that when the scan rate changes, or some other function on the remote is chosen, the 8300HD momentarily stops sending the video feed. The only way to reaquire the video is to cycle the 4806 off or reselect the TV input. This lets the 4806 reaquire the signal. I have been through all of the video setup options on the AVR, but nothing I do overcomes this. Since there are so many settings on the 4806, I may have missed something.

Unless there is an advanced setting on the STB that can be adjusted, I can't really blame the 8300 because everything is fine when it is hooked up directly to the monitor.

Does anyone have this momentary loss of video with their STB, and is there an adjustment that can be made?

Thanks!
Scyntax is offline  
post #111 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sergiohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abell2218 View Post

Note that I would NOT swap the connections just because the auto setup tells you that the speaker MIGHT be out of phase. It is just taking a guess based on the tests. I would just double/triple check the connections. I have run set up many times (experimenting...) and it occasionally throws a possible out of phase flag up, but my speakers are not out of phase.

In my case if I get the connections back to what they are, the EQ is totally messed-up, no time/distance, crossover incorrect and so on. Strange indeed.
sergiohm is offline  
post #112 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnGZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

In my case if I get the connections back to what they are, the EQ is totally messed-up, no time/distance, crossover incorrect and so on. Strange indeed.

I agree with Abell, I would trust my eyes making sure the speakers are corrected properly rather than the Denon. Get someone else to double check them if you need to. Once you're sure they're hooked up correctly keep running the EQ till it gets it right.

JohnG
JohnGZ28 is offline  
post #113 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyntax View Post

Running the 8300HD STB to the HDMI port (which is HDCP compatible) on my display works well. Audio is handled by running the digital optical audio from the 8300 to the AVR-4806. The monitor is set to recognize all formats except 480I.

I purchased the 4806 primarily for its HDMI switching capability and decoders. When I send the 8300HD to the 4806 via HDMI (both video and audio), things get real ugly. Hitting the "Guide" button, the "My DVR" button, or when the scan rate changes formats, the 4806 looses the video signal. I have to either shut off the 4806 or change inputs so that the unit reaquires the video. Doesn't matter in what sequence the equipment is turned on, any change in format or function causes this loss of video. As long as the scan rate stays the same between channels, there is no loss of video.

It appears to me that when the scan rate changes, or some other function on the remote is chosen, the 8300HD momentarily stops sending the video feed. The only way to reaquire the video is to cycle the 4806 off or reselect the TV input. This lets the 4806 reaquire the signal. I have been through all of the video setup options on the AVR, but nothing I do overcomes this. Since there are so many settings on the 4806, I may have missed something.

Unless there is an advanced setting on the STB that can be adjusted, I can't really blame the 8300 because everything is fine when it is hooked up directly to the monitor.

Does anyone have this momentary loss of video with their STB, and is there an adjustment that can be made?

Thanks!

I have the same box, but on the Cablevision system. Not sure if they are running the same OS.

Is the HDMI output on the 8300HD set to auto? From your description, it sounds like it is. I notice a loss of video when the 8300HD changes resolutions, but I am hooked up directly to the TV's DVI input.
DCIFRTHS is online now  
post #114 of 2715 Old 07-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Newbie
 
Scyntax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

I have the same box, but on the Cablevision system. Not sure if they are running the same OS.

Is the HDMI output on the 8300HD set to auto? From your description, it sounds like it is. I notice a loss of video when the 8300HD changes resolutions, but I am hooked up directly to the TV's DVI input.


Thanks for the reply DCIFRTHS. Yes, the 8300 is set for auto and there is no problem when it is outputted directly to the TV. It's when I connect the STB to the AVR that the problem occurs. I'm glad to hear someone else sees the loss of video though. It's that loss that confuses the AVR.
Scyntax is offline  
post #115 of 2715 Old 07-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Member
 
venezolano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spain
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Joe wanabe & Abell 2218,

I have the same doubt as Joe, and I want to say that after reading many times the instructions it doesn't be clear for me if you can or cannot setup a 7.1 main zone plus a second amplified one.

Reading the "AVC-A11XV_DFU" *pdf, page 49, it states that:

"Setting the power amplifier assingment......

.....Surround B

the surround B amplifiers can be reassigned if they are not being used in the main room, and the surround A are used either the surround or the fornt channels.

Front B

this mode sets the surround b channels to drive a second set of stereo outputs that match the front right and left speakers providing a stereo B option for another location (page 47)"

At this point I would answer without any doubt that you can get a 7.1 + ampliffied Z2.

But when you go to the 47, you get the next:

"Setting second channel stereo"

There is an explanation of the options you have, and nowhere is any mention about Zone2/3. Moreover, on the "Setting the power amplifier assingment", on the Surround back options, it gives you many ways on zone2-zone3 settings.

And finally, if you go to pages 37-38, you can see that if you want to get 7.1, you can't have zone2/3 amplified channels. And if you want multiroom amplification, you only would have a 5.1 in the main room.

Anyway, could you Abell test what happens when you set surround b as front b, setting a second channel stereo. What is this option intended to?

cheers

juan
venezolano is offline  
post #116 of 2715 Old 07-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Abell2218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venezolano View Post

Joe wanabe & Abell 2218,

I have the same doubt as Joe, and I want to say that after reading many times the instructions it doesn't be clear for me if you can or cannot setup a 7.1 main zone plus a second amplified one.

Reading the "AVC-A11XV_DFU" *pdf, page 49, it states that:

"Setting the power amplifier assingment......

.....Surround B

the surround B amplifiers can be reassigned if they are not being used in the main room, and the surround A are used either the surround or the fornt channels.

Front B

this mode sets the surround b channels to drive a second set of stereo outputs that match the front right and left speakers providing a stereo B option for another location (page 47)"

At this point I would answer without any doubt that you can get a 7.1 + ampliffied Z2.

But when you go to the 47, you get the next:

"Setting second channel stereo"

There is an explanation of the options you have, and nowhere is any mention about Zone2/3. Moreover, on the "Setting the power amplifier assingment", on the Surround back options, it gives you many ways on zone2-zone3 settings.

And finally, if you go to pages 37-38, you can see that if you want to get 7.1, you can't have zone2/3 amplified channels. And if you want multiroom amplification, you only would have a 5.1 in the main room.

Anyway, could you Abell test what happens when you set surround b as front b, setting a second channel stereo. What is this option intended to?

cheers

juan

The surround A or the surround back outputs can be assigned as the outputs for zones 2 or 3 . So if you wanted a 7.1 setup and a zone 2 stereo you could wire it that way, simply assign surround A as zone 2 and use surround B and surround back as the surround outputs. Again, you can't run them sumultaneously, since there are "only" 7 amps in the system. Of course you could always buy a seperate stereo amp and use the zone line levels outs if you really wanted to run them simultaneously...

Hope that helps, if not then play around with it and you will figure it out. The Denon manuals are never that user friendly.
Abell2218 is offline  
post #117 of 2715 Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abell2218 View Post

The surround A or the surround back outputs can be assigned as the outputs for zones 2 or 3 . So if you wanted a 7.1 setup and a zone 2 stereo you could wire it that way, simply assign surround A as zone 2 and use surround B and surround back as the surround outputs. Again, you can't run them sumultaneously, since there are "only" 7 amps in the system. Of course you could always buy a seperate stereo amp and use the zone line levels outs if you really wanted to run them simultaneously...

Hope that helps, if not then play around with it and you will figure it out. The Denon manuals are never that user friendly.

But they are (the manuals) getting better.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #118 of 2715 Old 07-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Member
 
venezolano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spain
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abell2218 View Post

The surround A or the surround back outputs can be assigned as the outputs for zones 2 or 3 . So if you wanted a 7.1 setup and a zone 2 stereo you could wire it that way, simply assign surround A as zone 2 and use surround B and surround back as the surround outputs. Again, you can't run them sumultaneously, since there are "only" 7 amps in the system. Of course you could always buy a seperate stereo amp and use the zone line levels outs if you really wanted to run them simultaneously...

Hope that helps, if not then play around with it and you will figure it out. The Denon manuals are never that user friendly.

Abell,

your help is much appreciated because I'm not an 4806 owner (so I cannot test at the moment), but it enters on future plans.

So the Surround B would be the side surrounds?

The manual says:

"The surround A power amplifier channel can be assigned if surround B is not activated in the main zone:

Front: ....

Front B: ....

Zone 2: .....

Zone 3: .....

...."

If that is true, then you can only reassign surround A channels when surround B are not assigned to main room. Have you tested it?

Regards

Juan
venezolano is offline  
post #119 of 2715 Old 07-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Abell2218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venezolano View Post

Abell,

your help is much appreciated because I'm not an 4806 owner (so I cannot test at the moment), but it enters on future plans.

So the Surround B would be the side surrounds?

The manual says:

"The surround A power amplifier channel can be assigned if surround B is not activated in the main zone:

Front: ....

Front B: ....

Zone 2: .....

Zone 3: .....

...."

If that is true, then you can only reassign surround A channels when surround B are not assigned to main room. Have you tested it?

Regards

Juan

All I have done is run through the menus as described above and reassigned the amps. I am only running 5.1 currrently and don't have an extra set of speakers wired to test your question in its entirety and see if the amps reassign as needed. (i.e. to use as zone 2 while having 7.1 set up)

If I get the time and inclination I may try and run the entire scenario for you, but busy redoing my pronto right now.

The wording from the manual is unclear:"The surround A power amplifier channel can be assigned if surround B is not activated in the main zone" though I would read that as you can use the surround a amp reassignment if the surround B is not being used (again , you can't do them simultaneously because of the number of amps.

I am also hesitant to run the tests without speakers hooked up to all the outputs: it is bad to run amps live with no speakers hooked up.
Abell2218 is offline  
post #120 of 2715 Old 07-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Member
 
bubba_gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It sure seems to be a lot of complaining of the auto EQ stuff not working correctly on this model and the 5805, Is that the correct feeling/conculusion the users that DO have the 4806 already ? If so, this is giving me a bad feeling on this unit that has not even arrived to me yet (it is on the way via UPS).

One of the big reasons I got this unit (unseen, un-previewed, unheard) was:

1. The 'buzz' on these forumns

2. The nice stylish Silver finish that has a high W.A.F. (wife approval factor)

3. The high reviews of the matching DVD-3910 DVD player.

4. The great price I got on a A-Stock (both receiver and dvd player), sealed from an authorized Denon dealer willing to ship accross the country.
bubba_gump is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off