The "Official" Denon AVR-4806 Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 2715 Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scratch the above .Upon further inspection of the manual, I have discovered my problem. I now have my speakers set to small, my sub set to LFE THX, and plugged into the propper port. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2715 Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first impression is that the prior owner TURNED DOWN THE OUTPUT OF THE SUB VIA THE 5.1 or 7.1 channel Equalizer.

If your not aware... you have a built-in adjustable equalizer to increase of decrease the LEVEL of each of your 5.1 or 7.1 channels, using the Microphone provided by DENON.......

Read the manual and it will walk you through how to adjust the outputs, using the "BUILT-IN signal generator. ( Not knowing how large and the crossover point of your "Best- Bullsh-t" speakers, I suggest setting the levels to crossover at 80hz....... Then let your SUBWOOFER do the remaining work.

I also suggest you place the Mic on a Camera stand isolated ( away) from any reflecting walls or hard surfaces.

If you have a DVD player, buy a cheap home theater set-uo disc and use that in the interim to get some semblance of channel balance. These will run through the channels one by one and provide a visual level to roughly set levels....Better than nothing at all.

AS for jumping the gun and claiming a defective product....... hold off until you perform the steps I provided. Then, you will know for sure..... Good luck. Be patient!wink.gif

Anyone else have some to add?
post #2703 of 2715 Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM

i have a Denon AVR- 4806... I am having a problems with it...

1) I can only access and view my "System Set up Menu" through a connected component cable. I am trying to access it via the connected HDMI cable. I have everything now connected to my TV via HDMI.
post #2704 of 2715 Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
If the source video is properly displayed, then the issue may be that your TV cannot receive a 480i signal (resolution of the OSD) over HDMI.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2705 of 2715 Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 AM

I think my AVR-4806 has developed an internal electronic issue, so I'm now considering looking at some of the new Dennon AVR offerings (specifically the AVR-4520CI and the new AVR-X4000, which is priced significantly less than the 4520).

My problem is that the rear right surround in my 5.1 setup has no sound.. It seems flaky. I can run the speaker setup with setup mike and sometimes (not always), the test tone emits sound from the back right speaker. Then I run the calibration with the mic, and sometimes the test tones are emitted from the right surround speaker, sometimes not. On the occasion where I get the auto speaker setup and calibration routines to emit sound from the right surround speaker, the calibration successfully completes. I then play a movie, and no sound comes out of the right surround speaker.

So, thinking there's some faulty connection in the speaker wire to the speaker (or the speaker itself), I took the banana plugs from the the right surround terminals of the receiver and touched them to the front right terminals, and sound immediately was emitted from the surround right speaker. This tells me the speaker wire to (and the speaker itself) are fine.

Any ideas. I'm thinking my 4806 has a problem and therefore I've started looking for a replacement, as mentioned above (although the switch would be a step down since neither replacements are THX Ultra certified like the 4806 -- to be honest, I don't think I'd hear the difference).

Can I take the surround left/right connections to the 4806 and plug them into the surround Rear terminals (I don't use any 2nd zone) and run the calibration that way (not using the L/R surround terminals);. Will the calibration with the mic, and receiver, now send all surround (L/R surround and rear surround) through this connection?

Essentially, I'm looking to see if I can move the speaker cable from the L/R surround and move the connection to the L/R Rear speaker terminal, do the calibration, and all will be good (bypass the defunct L/R surround terminal).

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Steve
post #2706 of 2715 Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I picked up the 4806 last weekend from a friend and I am having an issue, or I should say my InFocus X10 projector is having an issue with the HDMI out of the 4806. I don't get an image. I have tried different (shorter) cabling and get the same result. Same signal out of the 4806, is fine on a TV. Directly from any of the sources the projector is happy. Nothing I do seems to make the projector happy with an output of the receiver. I have read a lot of the posts in this thread,but not all of them yet. Has any had this problem and solved it?
post #2707 of 2715 Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 AM
585-645-1006

Shorter as in 6'? If the cable is > 20' you will likely need to add an HDMI extender (see forum sponsor Monoprice).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #2708 of 2715 Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Hey Gang...I had something weird happen to my HT last night and I need to troubleshoot today....As I was listening to multichannel music all of a sudden the sound distorted in all of my speakers after an initial spike.
When I change from dvd to antenna it kept the same symptoms.

I am going to check connections when I get back home but in case it's an obvious symptom of something else I wanted to get a running start if anyone else had experienced this ....

This situation continued to happen on an inconsistent/intermittent basis so I had to stop using the processor and now I am using the amps to drive a Denon AVR 2910 using the analog. Has anyone else had this happen and do you think there are still circuit boards available to fix it?
post #2709 of 2715 Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM
585-645-1006

Doubtful, as parts are generally hard to get on units older than 4-5 years or so, although you can certainly check with one of the authorized parts distributors listed on Denon's website to confirm. At the very least try resetting the microprocessor a few times.

post #2710 of 2715 Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Shorter as in 6'? If the cable is > 20' you will likely need to add an HDMI extender (see forum sponsor Monoprice).
Thanks for the reply. I am a big fan of Monoprice.

Let me add a few more words to the description. The longer cable is 25'. When I tried a shorter cable, it was ~6 feet. One set up I did not mention was RCVR -> 1x2 active splitter -> Projector. 1st cable is 4' and 2nd cable is the 25' one. No video on the projector. Even with the setup screen (480i I think). Another piece of data is that the active splitter has an LED for the input and each of the outputs.

When the input to the active 1x2 splitter is a DirectTV DVR (720p and / or 1080i) or Apple TV (720p Version), then LED for the input lights up (and the projector at the end of the 25' cable is happy.) If the input is the 4806 then LED for the input DOES NOT light up (and the projector at the end of the 25' cable is NOT happy.)

Any reason to think a receiver reset would be helpful at all?
post #2711 of 2715 Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM
585-645-1006

If you're not getting any output from when the PJ is connected with a 6' cable nor with a powered splitter, but it connects through the AVR to a TV, then there is an incompatibility issue between the AVR and the PJ. Ensure the firmware on both the PJ and AVR is up to date. As a matter of course, you always want to reset the microprocessor on any used unit to ensure all settings are returned to their factory defaults. If still no joy after the reset, either replace the PJ or the AVR to something more current.

post #2712 of 2715 Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys. I just hooked up my old 4806 and was wondering if the firmware upgrade is worth th price, how much is it and is there a deal somewhere?
Thanks
post #2713 of 2715 Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you're not getting any output from when the PJ is connected with a 6' cable nor with a powered splitter, but it connects through the AVR to a TV, then there is an incompatibility issue between the AVR and the PJ. Ensure the firmware on both the PJ and AVR is up to date. As a matter of course, you always want to reset the microprocessor on any used unit to ensure all settings are returned to their factory defaults. If still no joy after the reset, either replace the PJ or the AVR to something more current.

Ooops. I never said thanks for the reply JD. Sorry about that. Both devices had the latest firmware. Factory reset did not fix things. I ended up putting a Lumagen Radiance XS in between the sources, AVR and the projector. The output pointed at the projector has video only (or it is stuffed with low complexity audio, I don't quite remember.) No issues since then. Thanks again for the reply.
post #2714 of 2715 Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM

Liked: 11
Hello
I'm having problems getting lfe signal to my sub in stereo analog mode.
I have it turned on as described per the manual and on for direct mode but nothing.
I have a Oppo BDP83SE running analog cables to to a tube buffer to my 4806's tv analog Inputs. It will play stereo but there is no lfe signal goin to the sub. Same with my computer going to my DAC to the CD I puts. I've even removed the tube buffer but that's not the issue.
Any suggestions or am I missing something? Movies and tv my subs, a epik conquest and empire rock the neighborhood.
Even stereo mode from the tv music channels doesn't get any lfe signal but do in plII music etc.
thanks
post #2715 of 2715 Old 04-04-2014, 04:09 AM
585-645-1006

^^
There is no LFE signal in a stereo 2.0 signal, rather only with DD/DTS 5.1/6.1/7.1 signals. If you want to route the lower bass frequencies in the stereo signal to the sub, you can either set the FL/FR speakers to SMALL/80Hz or set them to LARGE and set the sub to LFE+MAIN. When using either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT, only the LFE+MAIN setting will work.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page