Denon AVR-4306 looks like "the one" - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 863 Old 12-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
who's been playing around with the ethernet audio streaming and/or USB connection?

Will the USB connection accept larger IDE drives? FAT32 only?

Ethernet, wav streaming, does it do gapless playback (I'm a movie soundtrack lover...)

Thanks for the info!

Yves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 863 Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Smolders
who's been playing around with the ethernet audio streaming and/or USB connection?

Will the USB connection accept larger IDE drives? FAT32 only?

Ethernet, wav streaming, does it do gapless playback (I'm a movie soundtrack lover...)
I've been using ethernet audio streaming from my PC (Windows Media Connect) and am quite satisfied with the results. No gaps. I have had a few gaps with some Internet radio stations, but that is to be expected. Streaming from a USB device works fine, although I have not tried it extensively, nor with a larger drive. I think the manual says it will support FAT32.

Paul.
post #303 of 863 Old 12-29-2005, 08:40 PM

Has anyone found a reliable wireless bridge for the 4306 (in lieu of connecting it via ethernet...

Would prefer to go wireless rather than snaking another wire through the walls.

Just curious.

BG
post #304 of 863 Old 12-29-2005, 08:45 PM

Denon makes a solid receiver... that is a given.

For me, the big selling point on the 4306 is the integrated networking capability.
I have not seen this feature on any other receivers...

Can anyone provide insight into potential alternatives?

Thanks..

Brian

As an FYI - I use a DVDO offboard scaler to enhance my video so I will not be using the HDMI upscaling capabilities of this unit (that is why I am curious about alternatives in the same price range or lower).
post #305 of 863 Old 12-29-2005, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigont
Denon makes a solid receiver... that is a given.

For me, the big selling point on the 4306 is the integrated networking capability.
I have not seen this feature on any other receivers...

Can anyone provide insight into potential alternatives?

Thanks..

Brian

As an FYI - I use a DVDO offboard scaler to enhance my video so I will not be using the HDMI upscaling capabilities of this unit (that is why I am curious about alternatives in the same price range or lower).
Integra have something I believe has network functions.

No idea on price.
post #306 of 863 Old 01-01-2006, 01:04 PM

The AVR-4306 is my first receiver and I must say I really like it. It was the 3 HDMI inputs that sold me. I currently have my Denon DVD-2910 and HR10-250 HD DVR hooked up to the AVR with HDMI cables.

One minor annoyance is that when you have the tuner selected you can't show an HDMI video source on the monitor using the video select function. I can probably work around this by adding some analog video cables from my sources.

One major annoyance is the need to have Windows Media Connect to get music off of my computer. I am looking for a Linux solution for this. Does anybody know of one?

I currently use a Turtle Beach Audiotron for streaming music from my computer. All it looks for is a windows share on the network (I use Samba in Linux). It is very capable and I suspect much more flexible than the AVR-4306 is for network music. All the same I would at least like to try out the AVR's network audio function.

Oh. And a hearty thank you to all you av experts on this board. This is a great source of info and by searching have had many of my questions answered.

X
post #307 of 863 Old 01-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

AFAIK it's not only Windows Media Connect... you can also use UPNP-AV based server software... check the 4306 manual because i'm not sure anymore, it's been a while...

Just checked the manual for you, it supports:

* Windows Media Connect
* Windows Media Player 10
* Designed to DLNA

DLNA is based on Upnp-AV. Twonkyvision comes to mind, there's a linux version of that one - pretty neat too, as it transcodes formats that can't be handled by the receiver to WAV/PCM.

Promising on windows is Tversity - I believe there's other versions too, haven't checked lately. Still beta, but soon it'll be 1.0

Yves
post #308 of 863 Old 01-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Smolders

DLNA is based on Upnp-AV. Twonkyvision comes to mind, there's a linux version of that one - pretty neat too, as it transcodes formats that can't be handled by the receiver to WAV/PCM.
Thanks for the info Yves. I am now googling Twonkyvision to learn more about it. I'll post back on my success (or lack of) in case anybody else can use the info.

Harry

X
post #309 of 863 Old 01-02-2006, 09:49 AM

has anyone found been able to buy or get any info on the ipod cable?
post #310 of 863 Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigont
Has anyone found a reliable wireless bridge for the 4306 (in lieu of connecting it via ethernet...

Would prefer to go wireless rather than snaking another wire through the walls.

Just curious.

BG
Hi Brigont.

I plan on using a Linksys wireless bridge (WET54G) for the same reason as you. I also plan on using a bridge rather than a game adapter in case I ever want to add other devices to it.

One question, I've only been able to connect to the 4306 by using its IP address, which can change in my setup. Is there a machine name I can use instead?

Thanks,
Nas
post #311 of 863 Old 01-02-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswindell
David & amarcc:

No problem. I'll post the pcf file on remotecentral.com and put a link to it here. Should be up in a day or two....

-- Dave
I've uploaded my Pronto PCF file to control the Denon 4306 from a Pronto TSU3000 remote control. The file contains several pages of discrete IR codes that may be of use to others. Using utilities from Remote Central, I've encoded all of the discrete codes given in the Denon IR documentation except for the iPod, net audio, and usb functions (these will come later). These include:
  • Zone 1 and Zone 2 controls
  • Channel Level setting, including from net audio
  • Codes to set individual Channel levels
  • Discrete power codes
  • Discrete surround modes (DTS, Dolby, 7 Ch, etc)
  • Tone control (base/treble up/down)
  • Tuner control
  • USB, Internet Radio, and Net functionality
  • XM Connect and Play Channel guide, complete with all current chchannels
For those with knowledge of Pronto PCF files, the discrete codes are included on several "hidden" panels that can be viewed with the Pronto PCF editor, ProntoEdit NG (available on Remote Central web site).

The Connect and Play XM support includes a graphical Channel guide that allows you to bring up any channel, by name. I had a Polk tuner, but like the sound of the Denon XM much better!!

Tools exist on the Remote Central site to convert the Pronto codes into other formats. I'm afraid I don't have experience with the Harmony or other similar products. Fyi, the PCF also includes a couple of pages of task-based buttons ("Watch DVD", Listen to XM", etc...), for simplified operation of the 4306 and other connected equipment.

I'll update the upload once I complete the iPod support.

-- Dave

Denon4306-V1.1.zip 483.583984375k . file
post #312 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicator
has anyone found been able to buy or get any info on the ipod cable?
Hello,
cable today arrived, Europe location Germany.

Regards
LL
post #313 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 10:51 AM

Does anybody know if you can solder two seperate Ipod cables to one with two connectors for the ipod (is there any cross wiring) and how many wires is this cable?
Or is it possible to use two ipod cables and a USB hub to connect the 4306 and the iPOD.
Here in Holland the 4306 is still not available???
Rob
post #314 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KefQ11
Does anybody know if you can solder two seperate Ipod cables to one with two connectors for the ipod (is there any cross wiring) and how many wires is this cable?
Or is it possible to use two ipod cables and a USB hub to connect the 4306 and the iPOD.
Here in Holland the 4306 is still not available???
Rob
I don't think so. The plug that goes into the Denon is not the same size as the plug that goes into the bottom of the iPod.... The Denon-side of the plug is slightly smaller in size.

-- Dave
post #315 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwvG
Hello,
cable today arrived, Europe location Germany.

Regards
Did you order from mcminone people 800-543-4330 using part 2046797003 and what was the final cost?
post #316 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswindell
Denon-side of the plug is slightly smaller in size.
-- Dave
Right, is not the same size two differently plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky
Did you order from mcminone people 800-543-4330 using part 2046797003 and what was the final cost?
Nope,
the cable is from Denon Germany, i think the price outside Europe is not the same.

Regards,
FwvG
post #317 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwvG
Right, is not the same size two differently plugs.

Nope,
the cable is from Denon Germany, i think the price outside Europe is not the same.

Regards,
FwvG
How did you place the order?
post #318 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 04:27 PM

I read through this whole post, and have a couple questions. Note I am currently considering the 4306 or the VSX-74TXVi.

1. Would anyone consider the lack of THX to be a negative on the 4306? Or does it even make a difference? I think I only use dds or dts now. ( I currently have a 4802.) I can't remember ever seeing THX on the receiver screen, so maybe that answers my question. :)

2. One of the main reasons for getting a new receiver is HDMI ( I have brand new Pioneer Elite 61" Plasma). I plan on connecting a SA8600 from Time Warner and a Samsung DVD player to the hdmi inputs, and then hdmi output to the plasma. I got a bit confused by all the bantering going back and forth about the cable box hdmi and the problems with certain receivers, but it sounds like it will be hit/miss getting hdmi to work through the receiver, yes? Although it does sound like some people have gotten it to work through the 4306.
I have absolutely ZERO hope of getting help with firmware or whatever from Time Warner if it doesn't work. They're support has been abyssmal in the past. The plasma only has one hdmi input, so I'd be stuck getting a Gefen switch or whatever if it didn't work.

Oh, for the question about which bridge to use, I use the Linksys bridge someone mentioned, though not with that receiver obviously, but... I seriously doubt it would matter. The receiver will just be looking for a regular network connection, and the bridge takes care of all the wireless stuff.
I would say the Linksys does work very well in the living room for the couple components I have connected to it.

Thanks in advance!
Nate
post #319 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 04:55 PM

"The plasma only has one hdmi input, so I'd be stuck getting a Gefen switch or whatever if it didn't work."

OR, you could use the completely functional (and full bandwidth capable) component connection from you cable box to your receiver, then let the receiver convert it to HDMI and send it on to the TV.

Paul

"When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door" - GD
post #320 of 863 Old 01-03-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poparelly
"The plasma only has one hdmi input, so I'd be stuck getting a Gefen switch or whatever if it didn't work."

OR, you could use the completely functional (and full bandwidth capable) component connection from you cable box to your receiver, then let the receiver convert it to HDMI and send it on to the TV.
Hmm...thats a very good comment. I've been told that HDMI connections are much better that components, even with very good component cables ( I use Vampire wire). This is why I was wanting to use HDMI only...well, that and only needing one connection for video and audio.

Is there any truth to that? Or is it pretty subjective?
post #321 of 863 Old 01-04-2006, 02:28 AM

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum but I need help. I just got a Denon 4306 but am having trouble with speaker configuration. I iniatially had a 5.1 speaker system of which I setup as 2 fronts, 1 centre, 1 subbie, and 1 pair of surrounds. I got the denon to automatically look for the speakers and configure using the denon auto setup. No problem there it found it and configured it.

I then found an old pair of speakers aand connected it as rear surrounds. i then activated auto setup to look for the rear surrounds and configuration. The denon did not detect the rear surrounds no matter how often I activated the auto setup.

Anyone out there that can help.
post #322 of 863 Old 01-04-2006, 04:42 AM

It is funny I just got the 4306 and i have a 5.1 config and the auto setup kept on giving me an error that i was missing surround l and r A speakers, I finally gave up on the auto config and set it up manually.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I could do auto setup with a 5.1 speaker config so i wont get this error?
It will be most appreciated,
Vinny
post #323 of 863 Old 01-04-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky
How did you place the order?
Hello,
Denonretailer in Germany.

Regards,
FwvG
post #324 of 863 Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicator
It is funny I just got the 4306 and i have a 5.1 config and the auto setup kept on giving me an error that i was missing surround l and r A speakers, I finally gave up on the auto config and set it up manually.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I could do auto setup with a 5.1 speaker config so i wont get this error?
It will be most appreciated,
Vinny
I have a 5.1 surround system and did not have any errors. There are three places you can connect surround speakers. Please check you have used the right one. Do not use Surround Back for a 5.1 setup.

Paul.
post #325 of 863 Old 01-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbir
I have a 5.1 surround system and did not have any errors. There are three places you can connect surround speakers. Please check you have used the right one. Do not use Surround Back for a 5.1 setup.

Paul.
So for your rears you selected surround A !
post #326 of 863 Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 PM

So for your rears you selected surround A !
post #327 of 863 Old 01-05-2006, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
denon at ces released info that they will offer a 500 dollar upgrade to 4806 and 5805. the upgrade includes 1080p pass through the hdmi, i dont think it said anything about supporting the new hddvd sound formats. i am surprised they are not offering this for the 4306. does the 4306 already support 1080p? also do you think they will offer this upgrade for the 4306 and new sound formats, i am in the market for a new receiver, i am ready to get the 4306 but i would like the comfort that the receiver would keep me up to date for a couple of years. thanks
-rob
post #328 of 863 Old 01-05-2006, 06:35 PM

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the 4306 already supports 1080p pass-through. I don't know about the audio formats.
post #329 of 863 Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
does anyone have more info on this i did a search but i couldnt find specific info on this.
-rob
post #330 of 863 Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM

My understanding from reading the info over at audioholics was that the 4306 already has all of the features included in the upgrade to the other 2 models. The 4306 seems like a great value
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page