Hum from 3802 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-05-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1816
I just noticed tonight after watching a DVD as the credits rolled I could hear a hum from my front speakers. I shut everything off but the receiver and still had the hum. I switched inputs and had the hum in all of them. The only way to stop the hum is to turn the volume all the way down or mute (one in the same).

I also noticed what sounded like glass breaking (very faint) from the center channel speaker when switching inputs. I have noticed this noise for some time now but not all the time as now. Also I have not changed any cables or power outlets in some time.

I was looking to upgrade to the Pioneer 74txvi or the Denon 3806/4306 but it looks like it might be sooner than later.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I double checked all my cables and power cords today. Found the "cheater" plug I had on my subwoofer power cable was missing. This caused a ground loop from the subwoofer and the hum I was hearing.

Still a mystery as who removed the plug, I don't recall removing it but my memory is shot so who knows. Morale to the story is always double check your connections! So now I'm not rushed to buy a new receiver.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2005, 12:53 PM
wje
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bill,

The cheater plug, while cheap, isn't the safest solution. I just installed two of these devices a week back - 1) Between my CD player and receiver, and, 2) One between my receiver and pro audio amp for my subs.

99% of the hum is gone for the audio from the CD player - and that last 1% can only be heard when the receiver is cranked all the way up. Nobody runs their receiver with the volume at its max setting, so I'm not worried about that last 1%. However, I used to have to run the ground lift feature on my amp to get rid of the hum. With the installation of the device, I've turned the ground back on for my amp and 100% of the hum is gone.

Simply put, these devices are cheap and effective - plus, you don't have to worry about using your devices in an un-grounded fashion.

DCI Hum Eliminator

post #4 of 4 Old 10-09-2005, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Simply put, these devices are cheap and effective - plus, you don't have to worry about using your devices in an un-grounded fashion.

DCI Hum Eliminator[/quote]

wje,

Thanks for the info. and the link I will pick one up as soon as I can.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page