post #541 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik1 View Post

Why I think Denon's excuse is bogus is my complementary sat receiver works flawlessly with the HDMI input on the 3806 and my TV. I can't say the same for my receiver or the dvd player I own (Denon's 2910)....Now if Denon were following a technology to the letter as you said then two Denon products should operate seamless together...

...That new breaking system failed and caused you to get into an accident. My question is, would you accept the excuse "the technology is new" or would you expect a multi-billion dollar corporation with a reputation for excellence to have done their R&D prior to releasing this technology to the public...I realize this is an extreme but possible example but the concept remains the same.

Oh you're right -- it is an extreme example and is not analogous to the discussion at hand. I appreciate you trying, but that's reaching. My M3's brakes do just fine.

Read the problems with the spec here from the HDMI Org's President and here from Secrets Home Theater forum.

Bottom line, you bought the unit at Crutchfield. If you feel the Denon 3806 is an inferior product or that the "sorry ass excuse" from the Denon engineer is representative of their product, then return the unit. Go buy the Yamaha 2600 and post in that thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

That cable box needs to have a firmware revision of at least 12.22, for it's HDMI output to work properly. Anything prior to a FW of 12.22 has some issues.

I have the SA 8300HD STB provided by Adelphia, and as reported earlier in this forum it does not work via hdmi to the 3806 (I do get audio from it, but no video). Does anyone know of a firmware upgrade for the SciAtlanta 8300HD that will fix this issue?

Currently I have all my inputs going through component to the 3806 and out to my Samsung HLN567W via HDMI/DVI cable. It looks good, but I would like to take advantage of the STBs hdmi port and the monster priced cable I purchased .

Thank you!
post #543 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post

Oh you're right -- it is an extreme example and is not analogous to the discussion at hand. I appreciate you trying, but that's reaching. My M3's brakes do just fine.

Read the problems with the spec here from the HDMI Org's President and here from Secrets Home Theater forum.

Bottom line, you bought the unit at Crutchfield. If you feel the Denon 3806 is an inferior product or that the "sorry ass excuse" from the Denon engineer is representative of their product, then return the unit. Go buy the Yamaha 2600 and post in that thread.

OK Boss now you're catching an attitude and that is not what this is about. You are taking this personal. You're so hung up on me saying "sorry ass excuse". That being said, can you honestly believe that rushing any technology at the customer's expense is right? That was the point of the example and it was meant to be extreme. Also, I guess you missed the part when I said I love my set up when all is well. Yes I am irritated with the situation but I never said Denon over all was substandard. I think they messed up with these pieces. The tech at Crutchfield said I was not the only one experiencing this.

I would like my system "as is" to operate correctly consistently. That's all I'm asking.

Bottom line: consumers pay for 100% of a product and should receive 100%. Regardless of who is the manufacturer may be.
post #544 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Quick question,

Is the 3806 supposed to remember settings bases on input or decoding type? For example, mine remembers settings for DD/Stereo/EXT IN/etc but not on a per-input basis. If I change SW levels for VCR1, it affects VCR2/DVD, etc. Is this right?

- D.
post #545 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by datamage View Post

Quick question,

Is the 3806 supposed to remember settings bases on input or decoding type? For example, mine remembers settings for DD/Stereo/EXT IN/etc but not on a per-input basis. If I change SW levels for VCR1, it affects VCR2/DVD, etc. Is this right?

- D.

Yup, set it up correctly and if its coming in from the source, it will play it. There is no need to have different SW levels for different sources. Set it and forget it!

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #546 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

There is no need to have different SW levels for different sources. Set it and forget it!

There are very good reasons to have different SW levels defined. I do not like a lot of bass when listening to music in my hardwood floor room, but I want more punch during movies, etc.

My brother-in-law is able to set SW levels for different inputs on his Denon AVR-1906 using the "personal memory plus" feature, but I cannot find this same function on the 3806.

Would love an answer to this question as well...
post #547 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 02:27 PM

Seem to be having trouble converting my video.

I want to be able to watch 3 TV's off of this receiver.

SAT -->going in via HDMI
DVD --> going in via Component

TV1 --> HDMI Monitor Out
TV --> Component Monitor Out
S --> S-Video Monitor Out

This should work right? The HDMI Out works fine but if I am watching an HDMI Source feed it only works on TV1. If I fire up my DVD Player, I can watch on the TV1 & TV2, I guess because the DVD Player is going to the receiver via a Component set.

So it looks as if the unit is not down converting. How do I tell it to do so. I have also tried to run the video feeds thru the Zon2 and have not had much luck either. Tried the manuel, but give me a break.

Any help would be appreciated!

Ryan
post #548 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 03:10 PM

Quote:

There are very good reasons to have different SW levels defined. I do not like a lot of bass when listening to music in my hardwood floor room, but I want more punch during movies, etc.

My brother-in-law is able to set SW levels for different inputs on his Denon AVR-1906 using the "personal memory plus" feature, but I cannot find this same function on the 3806.

Would love an answer to this question as well...

Precisely. Since movie tracks send the info for the LFE channel, I don't have a problem with the sub on that. But let's say I play my PS2, I like to boost up the SW level a bit to get more punch. I have a fairly decent compromise now so I don't have to adjust SW levels at all times, but I'd love to know if it can be set on a per-input basis. Thanks.

- D.
post #549 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 03:34 PM

Just completed the installation of my 3806 the manual is less than helpful I have elected to not use the video HDMI switching going from components directly to TV and using optical to connect audio to the receiver. Can not use Denon HDMI output as no more inputs avail on TV, want to use s-video. Mark
post #550 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide362 View Post

Seem to be having trouble converting my video.

I want to be able to watch 3 TV's off of this receiver.

SAT -->going in via HDMI

TV1 --> HDMI Monitor Out
TV --> Component Monitor Out
S --> S-Video Monitor Out

This should work right? The HDMI Out works fine but if I am watching an HDMI Source feed it only works on TV1. If I fire up my DVD Player, I can watch on the TV1 & TV2, I guess because the DVD Player is going to the receiver via a Component set.

it doesn't downconvert from an HDMI to any other signal. page 15 of the manual shows HDMI only goes to HDMI, while everything else will upconvert to HDMI. pretty sure that's true of ALL their receivers (as well as anyone else's), to prevent piracy through the "analog loophole".
post #551 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 05:30 PM

Wow you are right, didnt see that page as I have been focused on the Zone 2/3 pages. Thanks
post #552 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 PM

How do you get on screen display of the volume control?

I am not getting on screen display of the volume change from the 3806. It is connected to my TV via HDMI, all of my inputs are connected via Component and upconverting. I have Master Volume display turned on, but it is not showing on the TV. Any ideas? I was really looking forward to this feature as my old JVC didn't have it.

Thanks!
post #553 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 07:30 PM

OK, so far you guys are 3 for 3.

Can I watch TV in the main room via HDMI and listen to a different audio source. When we have a party, I want to have music on and a kick butt HDTV video signal coming in.

I have notived when I select a different source I can get the DVD (Component) to come up. So this may be an HDMI issue.

Thanks again for answering my novice questions.

RC
post #554 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The owners manual discusses this. You select the audio source first. Then you select the video source. There may be a "trick" you have to select to only change the video. Check the manual.

Greg

Quote:

Can I watch TV in the main room via HDMI and listen to a different audio source. When we have a party, I want to have music on and a kick butt HDTV video signal coming in.

I have notived when I select a different source I can get the DVD (Component) to come up. So this may be an HDMI issue.

RC

post #555 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 08:25 PM

In order for me to get the different audio / video source on the other receivers I've used I've had to select the picture (video) first and then select an audio source that didn't have a picture (video) signal assigned to it. Otherwords, I couldn't display a video image from a single disc DVD player and play a CD from a DVD/CD changer that was also setup to play DVD's as well.

Kevin
post #556 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:

RC

It looks like page 28 of the manual covers this. It looks like you would select the audio source first, then use the Video Select button to change the video. Unfortunately, it states that "It is not possible to select HDMI input signals". I do not have an HDMI input connected to test this out.
post #557 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 08:55 PM

I just set up my 3806 tonight as well as new speakers. I connected an HDMI cable from the Denon 765 to the 3806. I could not get any sound. I then connected RCA cables and got sound. What am I doing wrong. The manual is helpless. Thanks.
post #558 of 2887 Old 12-19-2005, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia101 View Post

I just set up my 3806 tonight as well as new speakers. I connected an HDMI cable from the Denon 765 to the 3806. I could not get any sound. I then connected RCA cables and got sound. What am I doing wrong. The manual is helpless. Thanks.

Under audio setup, you should select "HDMI" (1 or 2) as the input source, and then setup the HDMI output to "AMP". That might do the trick.
post #559 of 2887 Old 12-20-2005, 06:52 AM

First I apologize if any of my questions seem stupid or redundant (I saw some potentially same posts earlier). I am helping the CEO of my company set up his new system. He has the 3806 that he is using with the new Mits 73" 1080P DLP and the Phase III Moto DCT6412. He wants to be able to run everything via HDMI ( he has 2 HDMI inputs on the TV, 1 HDMI output on the cable box, and the remaining on the 3806). I saw an earlier post that said the 3806 was having problems with the 6412 (DVI->HDMI), however he has the Phase III box which is HDMI, not DVI. Does this apply then? Has anyone been able to run the setup with just HDMI, and if so, could you share some info with me? This is my first exposure to the 3806, and to say the documentation is less than stellar is an understatement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #560 of 2887 Old 12-20-2005, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a chance that the HDMI input/outputs on the '3806 may not work with the STB, but you should still try, making sure that all the audio and video assignments are done properly in the menu. If not, and he wants to be able to run just one line into the TV and do all the switching with the receiver, run component from the STB into the 3806 and run HDMI out to the TV.
post #561 of 2887 Old 12-20-2005, 07:37 PM

I'm unable to get the 3806 OSD on my Samsung HL-P4663W DLP?

The DLP is only one year old and has an HDMI input. I'm connected from the 3806 to the DLP via HDMI. Went through the setup using the display on the 3806 and everything seems to be working fine. Great sound and picture but no OSD. All I get on the DLP when I go into Set Up is "Not Supported Mode"

The OSD option in Video Set up is set to "on".

I have read some posts regarding the OSD being in 480i? Maybe it will never work with my DLP but thought if anybody could help it would be here.

The specs for my DLP are as follows:

Samsung DLP TV
DNIe (Digital Natural Image Engine)
1080i and 720p HDTV, 480p and 480i compatibility
1280 x 720p digital conversion of all video inputs
Digital Video Interface (DVI) and HDMI equipped
Progressive Scan DVD component video input
2 sets HDTV component video inputs
Translucent on-screen display (OSD) system

Is there a problem with getting the 3806 OSD to show up on this DLP that somebody knows of? Not sure if it matters or not but I'm on D*TV and using the HR10-250 HD TIVO. The connection from the HR10-250 to the 3806 is HDMI also.

Any suggestions or solutions much appreciated. I'm a newbie to the AV world so go easy on me.
post #562 of 2887 Old 12-20-2005, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

If the 3806 is only driving 4 speakers can channels be bridged?
post #563 of 2887 Old 12-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datamage View Post

Quick question,

- D.

Still no answer to this?
post #564 of 2887 Old 12-20-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libracolo View Post

First I apologize if any of my questions seem stupid or redundant (I saw some potentially same posts earlier). I am helping the CEO of my company set up his new system. He has the 3806 that he is using with the new Mits 73" 1080P DLP and the Phase III Moto DCT6412. He wants to be able to run everything via HDMI ( he has 2 HDMI inputs on the TV, 1 HDMI output on the cable box, and the remaining on the 3806). I saw an earlier post that said the 3806 was having problems with the 6412 (DVI->HDMI), however he has the Phase III box which is HDMI, not DVI. Does this apply then? Has anyone been able to run the setup with just HDMI, and if so, could you share some info with me? This is my first exposure to the 3806, and to say the documentation is less than stellar is an understatement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's a message earlier on this page that says Phase III 6412s with firmware 12.22 and above should work properly with the 3806 HDMI switching. I have a Phase II with firmware in the 9.xx level, so I am not able to confirm this. You should give it a try, as s2silber says.

The firmware version can be found on the settings/diagnostics menu of the 6412 (check dvr chatter dot com for details).
post #565 of 2887 Old 12-21-2005, 06:10 AM

I am having the same problem as flstc98 with the OSD on my Samsung HLN567W. Any help is greatly apprecieated. I can't find a Tech support number in the 3806 manual to report the issue.

I am stuck with out OSD of the master volume and it is killing me since I sit 16 feet from the receiver. Please help.

Thanks,

flsts97
post #566 of 2887 Old 12-21-2005, 06:36 AM

Thanks to both S2Silber and Mooneydriver for the info. I left a message for one of the senior techs at Comcast yesterday to find out what firmware version the boxes have (since the CSR's are completely clueless). Also, thanks for the link, I didn't know about that site, now subscribe to that one as well. I just moved to the Comcast area, used to be with TWC and the SA 8300HD's, which to me were alot more intuitive than the 6412's.
post #567 of 2887 Old 12-21-2005, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgotlieb View Post

I am having the same problem as flstc98 with the OSD on my Samsung HLN567W. Any help is greatly apprecieated. I can't find a Tech support number in the 3806 manual to report the issue.

I am stuck with out OSD of the master volume and it is killing me since I sit 16 feet from the receiver. Please help.

i did a little experimentation this morning, and it appears that OSD doesn't work with any output but 480i. i hooked up my dvd player and tried it at 480p, 720p and 1080i with no luck, but switching to 480i works perfectly.

sorry, i couldn't test 720p via component, since my player only outputs 480i on the component out.
post #568 of 2887 Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia101 View Post

Under audio setup, you should select "HDMI" (1 or 2) as the input source, and then setup the HDMI output to "AMP". That might do the trick.

just to add to this, if you 1st make HDMI video assignments the 3806 will auto-assign the digital audio assignments to match the video assignments.
post #569 of 2887 Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

here's the problem (and a gripe to follow):

i use a sci-atlanta hd cable box and i just got a denon dvd 1920 with my 3806. after getting my panasonic hdmi module to work ok in my 42phd plasma i was ready to hdmi tv and dvd to the 3806. my 1st attempt went ok, i made my video and audio assignments and the audio was working on both (hdmi audio assigned to "amp"). then after mucking around with some other 3806 settings i lost my tv audio. odd since the front display would show the recognized audio cooming from the tv hdmi cable source but no sound to the speakers. i then tested my dvd player and that was fine.

i then set hdmi audio to "tv" and both my tv and dvd audio can be heard just fine from the plasma's speakers. i then went back to hdmi audio set to "amp" and noticed something different about being on tv vs. dvd. when i switch to dvd i see panel recognize the audio then i hear a click (must be 3806 clamping the speakers to the amp), but when i choose tv i dont hear the same distinctive click.

thinking i may have goofed a setting somewhere i reset the 3806, did my hdmi video and audio assignments (the same way as i did the 1st time) but still same issue.

i did not yet try swapping the assignments. anyone have any ideas wtf is going on?

here's one gripe so far - hdmi audio passthrough is not really "passthrough", the audio has to be terminated either at tv or amp, one cannot have both at the same time.... thats crappy...

thanks.
DK
post #570 of 2887 Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloser View Post

I know there isn't any 1080P material out there yet, but will the 3806 with its current HDMI version be able to repeat/switch 1080P material?

1st i've seen of a lcd supporting 1080p (well, there are others, but this was the 1st i saw), i wonder what Westinghouse is anticipating.... Westinghouse LVM-37w1

i dunno enough about the 3806 yet, but is this units firmware upgradeable, and is it done through the rs232 port?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page