Denon 3806 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2883 Old 12-30-2005, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered my 3806S from a local dealer... I was looking at the pictures of the back online and noticed that there is a connection for a 70 OHM Coax Cable. Does this mean that I can hook my cable up out of the wall into this unit? or do I have to go through a STB via Composit/Component/S-Video. If I can run it directly into the receiver, will this input upconvert/scale/process (terminology) to component/HDMI

I don't know what uses this might have, but saw the connection and wasn't sure if it were for radio (under the FM/AM Antenae inputs) or cable/OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2883 Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloser View Post

Does this mean that I can hook my cable up out of the wall into this unit?

No. The coax connector is only for the radio tuner.

Quote:

or do I have to go through a STB via Composit/Component/S-Video. HDMI

Yes, that's what you will need to do.
It does not have any kind of TV or cable tuner in it, so you can not just hook your cable TV up direct without the cable box.
post #633 of 2883 Old 12-30-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Just ordered my 3806S from a local dealer... I was looking at the pictures of the back online and noticed that there is a connection for a 70 OHM Coax Cable. Does this mean that I can hook my cable up out of the wall into this unit? or do I have to go through a STB via Composit/Component/S-Video. If I can run it directly into the receiver, will this input upconvert/scale/process (terminology) to component/HDMI

I don't know what uses this might have, but saw the connection and wasn't sure if it were for radio (under the FM/AM Antenae inputs) or cable/OTA

BUying such equipment and asking these questions displays to me that you need to ssek professional advice on the installation of this unit. Spend a few dollars on a professional, it will be worthwhile getting it done properly the 1st time.
post #634 of 2883 Old 12-30-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewa View Post

BUying such equipment and asking these questions displays to me that you need to ssek professional advice on the installation of this unit. Spend a few dollars on a professional, it will be worthwhile getting it done properly the 1st time.

Or you can just study the manual. I'm in a similar situation as eloser - but there is nothing wrong with figuring it all out yourself, and in the end, you really get to understand the equipment and the set-up.

lee
post #635 of 2883 Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 PM

Hi
Need help in connecting my computer (Thinkpad T41) to my Receiver (Denon 3806) or my player (Denon 3910).
Can I connect the computer directly to the player so it can reads and plays the files (both Audio and Movies) directly?
If not, how can I connect the computer to the receiver? I would like to be able to play music and movies through my computer.
I do not know what is the sound card in my computer; is it important for this issue? How can I check that?
Thank you and Happy New Year
post #636 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarak View Post

Hi
Need help in connecting my computer (Thinkpad T41) to my Receiver (Denon 3806) or my player (Denon 3910).
Can I connect the computer directly to the player so it can reads and plays the files (both Audio and Movies) directly?
If not, how can I connect the computer to the receiver? I would like to be able to play music and movies through my computer.
I do not know what is the sound card in my computer; is it important for this issue? How can I check that?
Thank you and Happy New Year

You can connect your laptop to 3806 via RS-232 in order to apply new firmware only and certainly not for audio streaming. For that you would need the newer 4306 or an external device such as SqueezBox3 from SlimDevices (http://www.slimdevices.com/) or PhotoBridge and SoundBridge from Roku Labs (http://www.rokulabs.com/). I think that all you will need from your computer will be an ethernet adapter or wifi.
If you want to connect your 3910 to your T41 to listen/view music/videos on your computer you would need your sound card to connect from 3910's analog outputs.
Happy New Year to everyone!!!
post #637 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 06:56 AM

Can I connect the computer using an external USB sound card? if I can do it, can you please recommend a USB sound card that will be good for listening to music (that is storage in my computer)?
Happy New Year!!!!
post #638 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Can I connect the computer using an external USB sound card? if I can do it, can you please recommend a USB sound card that will be good for listening to music?

i use an edirol ua-3 (i think the current version is the ua-3fx, which adds a bunch of useless sound effects). it's cheap enough, and has both analog & digital in & out, as well as guitar & mic inputs.
post #639 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datamage View Post

Oh, right,. I forgot to mention that I have my DVD input @ +6.

i've found the same behavior with DD inputs compared to others...i normally listen @ -40dB(ish), but with a DD disk, i need to set it to -22dB or so. with the same disk player using PCM (a cd) i use the normal -40dB, which tells me it's a function of the DD encoding/decoding rather than the player itself.
post #640 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Are there any good online authorized dealers for this product?
post #641 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 01:33 PM

There are a list of Etailers on the Denon homepage website. I believe there are other authorized dealers not listed.
I received my 3806 for Christmas and set it up in my playroom/ theatre room that I constructed in my basement last winter. Using the microphone setup the sound separation and overall sound clarity was two fold better than my previous Onkyo 603. Everything worked great for about an hour and I turned the receiver off. After returning an hour later the receiver refused to turn on, the blinking red protection circuit shut the system down when trying to turn the denon back on. I doublechecked all connections and made sure the unit was well ventilated. The unit still refused to come on. I am returning it to the New Jersey factory service center. I will keep you informed. I have two matching subwoofers running off the sub preout off a Y connection, could this be the problem. I reinstalled my Onkyo and everything runs fine.
Has anyone had problems with the protection circuit? Also can you reboot the microprocessor on the 3806? Thanks for any help.
post #642 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You can reboot the microprocessor; simple instructions for doing so are in the manual. You may want to try this once before going through the trouble of sending it back to the factory service center.
post #643 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Sheesh do any of the authorized online dealers give ya a break on the retail pricing?
post #644 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

My 3806 arrives Wed. I read the manual but I need some guidance.

My front speakers are Gallo Reference III which have two sets of speaker inputs, one of which activates a second voice coil in the woofer. I had previously treated the Gallo woofer as a sub with LFE going to each front speaker and my SVS subwoofer.

If I set the unit for bi-amp and the sub control to LFE+ Main with the speakers as large and a subwoofer in my system will this work correctly? Will the LFE go to the second coil and sub w/o sending full range to the upper drivers of my Gallos?
post #645 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Can I connect the computer using an external USB sound card? if I can do it, can you please recommend a USB sound card that will be good for listening to music (that is storage in my computer)?
Happy New Year!!!!

The best and easiest way to send you music to the 3806 is to do it wirelessly. If you have a wireless card in your computer get yourself a hold of an APPLE AIRPORT EXPRESS.

It will work cross platform and will allow you to send music from your computer without wires or any need for USB sound cards. airport express
post #646 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane3215 View Post

Are there any good online authorized dealers for this product?

No. They don't have too because Denon protects them with its warrantee policy. They will knock the price down on last years model. If it suits your needs the 3805 can be had for lots less than retail.
post #647 of 2883 Old 12-31-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winowicki View Post

and speaking of zone 2, does the AVR-3806 have the same limitation that only analog audio sources can go to zone 2? Mine is still on order from the local installer, and I would like to plan the cabling.

So far it seems I want to use digital from the DVD/CD player (Denon 1920) so that the Equalization can work. But then I need to run parallel analog cables for zone 2? At least the 3805 had this restriction. I understand that there could be only one set of Audio A/D converters, or one set of DSP path, but what exactly is the restriction?

Thanks if anyone has tried the zone 2 feature.

Didn't find anything in the manual saying that it does however, I've tried and can't get any of my optical signals to come out on zone 2. The only one that does it successfully is the tuner (which is analog). So, seems like you've probably guessed right. I'll check it out on Monday and post back.
post #648 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by morseland View Post

I received my 3806 for Christmas and set it up in my playroom/ theatre room that I constructed in my basement last winter. Using the microphone setup the sound separation and overall sound clarity was two fold better than my previous Onkyo 603. Everything worked great for about an hour and I turned the receiver off. After returning an hour later the receiver refused to turn on, the blinking red protection circuit shut the system down when trying to turn the denon back on. I doublechecked all connections and made sure the unit was well ventilated. The unit still refused to come on. I am returning it to the New Jersey factory service center.

If I had one for that short amount of time doing something like that, which sounds like it's clearly a defective unit almost right out of the box if it only worked for about a hour. I would certainly not take it, or send it to their service center to have it repaired. I would instead have whoever sold it to you, replace it with another brand new one.
post #649 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik1 View Post

OK Boss now you're catching an attitude and that is not what this is about. You are taking this personal. You're so hung up on me saying "sorry ass excuse". That being said, can you honestly believe that rushing any technology at the customer's expense is right? That was the point of the example and it was meant to be extreme. Also, I guess you missed the part when I said I love my set up when all is well. Yes I am irritated with the situation but I never said Denon over all was substandard. I think they messed up with these pieces. The tech at Crutchfield said I was not the only one experiencing this.

I would like my system "as is" to operate correctly consistently. That's all I'm asking.

Bottom line: consumers pay for 100% of a product and should receive 100%. Regardless of who is the manufacturer may be.

Well "Malik," I don't care much for someone with under 10 posts/one month's experience in the forum giving 'tude into the thread bitching like it was all Denon's fault.

Of course I don't think rushing technology at the customer's expense is right. (And I personally feel that Denon got the HDMI correct with the 3806. Tell you what, my professional colleagues and I will ask this question to the Denon engineers at CES this week). But we don't live in that ideal world and if you want to play, you gotta pay -- especially for early adopters. If you truly think your "bottom line" is correct, then apparently you paid 100% retail but only got 95%, 90%, 80%, etc. of the product because of the HDMI issue. Then by all means, please return it for 100% refund from the retailer. You sound like your a idealistic man, Malik. And you would stick up to that 100%-to-100% in idealology.
post #650 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post

Well "Malik," I don't care much for someone with under 10 posts/one month's experience in the forum giving 'tude into the thread bitching like it was all Denon's fault.

Stop being an apologist for Denon. They have had some sure ass failings with the 3806. I can't wait till this new years period is over & i can stick this HDMI issue up their proverbial technological ARSE.
post #651 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoAZ View Post

Didn't find anything in the manual saying that it does however, I've tried and can't get any of my optical signals to come out on zone 2. The only one that does it successfully is the tuner (which is analog). So, seems like you've probably guessed right. I'll check it out on Monday and post back.

wow i was unaware of this & just gave it a spin.

nope no digital to zone 2

maybe they just want us to do the usual, you know corporate thing they think all we will purchase is denon product and use the denon link for everything.
i wonder if denon link works for zone 2
post #652 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Happy New Year!!!!

If I'm not mistaken the 4306 carries a USB port whereas the 3806 comes with an RS-232C serial port. In both cases, however, these ports are for admin purposes.
post #653 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezervoud View Post

If I'm not mistaken the 4306 carries a USB port whereas the 3806 comes with an RS-232C serial port. In both cases, however, these ports are for admin purposes.

Actually, the USB port on the 4306 is used primarily to stream digital audio from USB flash drives.

The 4306 ethernet port is used for admin purposes (in addition to a serial port, perhaps). The ethernet port allows home users to control the 4306 using the 4306's built-in web-server, to update firmware, to save configuration settings, and so on. The ethernet port is also used to stream Internet radio through the receiver, and to play music served by computers on network.
post #654 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 10:57 AM

I have a Denon 3806 with Audyssey MultEQ XT equalization. I noticed a rather annoying problem with Audyssey on. Occasionally, there are TV shows with fairly low source volume levels (for example, certain documentaries on INHD or Discovery HD), which require that I bump up the volume. With Audyssey on (doesn't matter whether it's set to Audyssey, Front, Flat, or Manual), I cannot increase the volume setting on the Denon beyond a certain level (for example, -4 dB when using DTS Neo:6, or -1 dB with 5/7-ch Stereo). I've noticed this with stereo audio sources. I believe this issue appears with multichannel sources as well. One might think that Audyssey is limiting volume to prevent clipping or distortion, but the volume limitation does not appear to be a function of source volume -- with some of these documentaries, the volume barely reaches the level of normal conversation when Audyssey starts limiting the volume.

The only way to get around this problem is to turn Audyssey off entirely. With Audyssey turned off, you can increase the volumeall the way to the upper limit.

By the way, I tried changing the input levels (under audio settings). No dice. If I increase the input level by 6 dB, Audyssey starts cutting off at -10 dB instead!

This is a major annoyance for me, because I paid for and prefer to use Audyssey equalization, but everytime this happens I need to turn it off. My wife gets frustrated as well, because she cannot increase the volume to her liking and she'd rather not deal with details such as equalization settings.

Details: Audio source is a Motorola 6412 DVR connected via Optical. Changing optical input ports on the Denon did not help.

(cross-posted as a separate thread as well)
post #655 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Tried my Cox 3250HD into the HDMI on my 3806 then out to the Monitor. No way; HDCP problem... don't want to fight it anymore.

Next tried running RCAs from the 3250HD into the 3806 component inputs. Expected them to go out on the HDMI to the TV, changed the input to RCA in... No go. I understand why the HDMI could be screwed because of a bad HDCP handshake between the 3250HD and the 3806 but... why would the components not get converted and output on the HDMI? Anybody tried this? What am I doing wrong?
post #656 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 01:03 PM

The same setup works for me - 3806 transcodes component video to HDMI just fine.

Right steps:

1. Video Setup --> Component in Assign --> select the right RCA inputs for the source
2. Video Setup --> Video Convert --> make sure it's set to ON for the source you want
3. Video Setup --> HDMI Out Setup --> Analog to HDMI Convert needs to be ON. Also make sure the Color Space is set to YCbCr.
post #657 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoAZ View Post

Tried my Cox 3250HD into the HDMI on my 3806 then out to the Monitor. No way; HDCP problem... don't want to fight it anymore.

Next tried running RCAs from the 3250HD into the 3806 component inputs. Expected them to go out on the HDMI to the TV, changed the input to RCA in... No go. I understand why the HDMI could be screwed because of a bad HDCP handshake between the 3250HD and the 3806 but... why would the components not get converted and output on the HDMI? Anybody tried this? What am I doing wrong?

THIS IS NOT A SMALL ISSUE
IT APPEAS TO BE MORE COMMON THAN NOT DENON GOT THIS WRONG
AND NEED TO FIX IT ASAP

MAYBE A RE-CALL IS IN ORDER
post #658 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 04:36 PM

New guy here...I have read all postings to this forum,fantastic! So far everyone is very helpful, and informative,excellent! I don't have the 3806 in my HT yet but
I control the time I get it. Traded EAD preamp/processor & poweramp for 3806. At this time I have the 1920 in an unopened box, maybe to unpack it 1-2-06. To me
the 1920 is a keeper, the thread I have read for this unit is equal to this one.
I going to make a comment in something I do not know much about, "VIDEO".
I have read in past posts of that most of members here have cable or satellite box
with a HDMI output. And most of those owners take that HDMI output to input of 3806, which is causing problems, because of the firmware. So if this is the case, why not just send the cable/satellite box HDMI output directly to TV? I'll admit I do not have up to date TV , so if I guess the TV (display), connection panel only has one HDMI input and this is why the use of the 3806 is used for video. One input (#1) is used by the DVD player, and the other input (#2) is used from the "box". The 3806 is used as a video switcher between the DVD player and the "box"? ( unless of coarse the TV would have two HDMI inputs, then the 3806
could left out of the loop)
One item on this thread that is a concern, is the limiting of volume. EQ is on or off, listening to what type of input, setting up inputs attenuations. I know I have good tech support from the audio store, but there is something about setting this unit up for myself that I want to accomplish. I hope I don't say, "I should have went with the Pioneer VSX-74TXVi". I'm sure all receivers these days are very complicated to setup and understand. But to understand is first, but to offer help and solve problems is a goal I would like to share.

Past Equipment: Front speakers: B&W DM7
Center: B&W CC6
Sub and rears: Custom build, (local DIY enthusiast)

Preamp/Processor: EAD Encore
Poweramp: EAD Powermaster 500
DVD player: Sony DVP-C650D (5 disc changer)
TV: (the weak link!) Panasonic 27" (CRT)
post #659 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver View Post

The same setup works for me - 3806 transcodes component video to HDMI just fine.

Right steps:

1. Video Setup --> Component in Assign --> select the right RCA inputs for the source
2. Video Setup --> Video Convert --> make sure it's set to ON for the source you want
3. Video Setup --> HDMI Out Setup --> Analog to HDMI Convert needs to be ON. Also make sure the Color Space is set to YCbCr.

Thanks for the steps. Sure seems like I tried these but could have just been tired of screwing with it and gave up too soon. I'll try again. Thanks for confirming that it actually works. It helps to know that I'm not just flailing.

Cheers!
post #660 of 2883 Old 01-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Pish,

Not quite sure what your question is. People want to use the 3806 to switch the HDMI signal to simplify their setups. First you only have to run one connection from the receiver to the display, instead of several. Second, you can keep your TV set to a single input source. Then when you select the source (like DVD or STB), you don't have to also use the TV remote to set the proper source on the TV. So it is mostly a convinence (WAF) factor.

I am not sure what the problem is for those folks that say it is not loud enough. I have a set of Paradigm Monitor speakers, and it runs plenty loud enough in my 16x16x9 family room with an open wall to the kitchen. My spouse will not let me turn it up beyond about -10DB.

The setup is not that hard. But there are several steps, and the instructions are not that clear. I have had to re-read the instructions several times to understand the intricacies of the configuration. But you can get a good running system pretty quickly.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISH View Post

...I have read in past posts of that most of members here have cable or satellite box
with a HDMI output. And most of those owners take that HDMI output to input of 3806, which is causing problems, because of the firmware. So if this is the case, why not just send the cable/satellite box HDMI output directly to TV? I'll admit I do not have up to date TV , so if I guess the TV (display), connection panel only has one HDMI input and this is why the use of the 3806 is used for video. One input (#1) is used by the DVD player, and the other input (#2) is used from the "box". The 3806 is used as a video switcher between the DVD player and the "box"? ( unless of coarse the TV would have two HDMI inputs, then the 3806
could left out of the loop)
One item on this thread that is a concern, is the limiting of volume. EQ is on or off, listening to what type of input, setting up inputs attenuations. I know I have good tech support from the audio store, but there is something about setting this unit up for myself that I want to accomplish. I hope I don't say, "I should have went with the Pioneer VSX-74TXVi". I'm sure all receivers these days are very complicated to setup and understand. But to understand is first, but to offer help and solve problems is a goal I would like to share.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page