Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggavigli View Post

I setup my 3806 this weekend. I had a cheapo Pioneer previously. I only watch movies, no music. I ran the basic setup with the room eq. It correctly identified a speaker out of phase (which I fixed) and all the distances. I noticed it set the crossover for the center speaker at 150 and the fronts at 200. I thought the crossover should be 80 for the speakers and the subwoofer?

Anyway, I have to say the voices from the center channel sound dead, kind of like they're coming from a tunnel. When I change room eq from "Audyseey" to "Flat" it sounds much better. When I turn off Room EQ it sounds even better still. I only have a 10' x 10' room and K series M&K speakers.

I'm thinking I need a better room and better speakers to make the 3806 sound better than my 912K Pioneer. I use the HDMI switching so it is really a moot point. Just wondering if anyone else doesn't use the Room EQ.

Just set mine up this weekend as well. I am still playing with it to get the best sound, but if I'm not mistaken (and I might be) the only way that the auto room eq setup up you did actually works is if the Audyseey or flat are turned off. When you use these setting, you are overriding the auto room eq settings that you got when you setup the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 08:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamsergie View Post

Does anyone that also owns this unit also think that the center channel doesn't sound like it should? I 've been reading about that alot lately....

My center channel sound is perfect. No issues.

/George
post #93 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 08:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

Just set mine up this weekend as well. I am still playing with it to get the best sound, but if I'm not mistaken (and I might be) the only way that the auto room eq setup up you did actually works is if the Audyseey or flat are turned off. When you use these setting, you are overriding the auto room eq settings that you got when you setup the receiver.

I'm confused. I thought the audyssey setting applies the equaliztion parameters calculated by the auto eq setup. No?
Also, flat and front are derivations based on the same measurements taken by the auto eq setup, are they not?
post #94 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbyun View Post

I'm confused. I thought the audyssey setting applies the equaliztion parameters calculated by the auto eq setup. No?
Also, flat and front are derivations based on the same measurements taken by the auto eq setup, are they not?

I must have read it wrong. As I said, I am just starting to play around with the unit.
post #95 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

I must have read it wrong. As I said, I am just starting to play around with the unit.

I was simply asking others for clarification as I am not 100% sure either. Jeez no need to roll your eyes at me.
post #96 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 12:29 PM

I sure wish Denon would post the gosh darned manual to the website!!!

Anyone with the unit using the Multi Zone features? If not would anyone mind looking up the he manual what types of video can be sent to Zone 2 and is there still the Zone 3 option (obviously audio only unpowered)

Jason
post #97 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 01:17 PM

I made a mistake in my earlier post, my system sounds "better" when I use "Front" rather than "Flat" or "Audyssey". The best sound is turning room eq off.

I'm still curious as to the crossover frequencies. After running the auto setup the Crossover Freq. Check screen shows:

Front Small: 200Hz
Center Small: 150Hz
Surround A Small: 110Hz

If the subwoofer only goes up to 80Hz won't there be a big hole in the frequency response?

I have K7 M&K left/right/center. I have something like the M&K MkII 75Watt subwoofer. K4 tripoles in the back.

-gregg
post #98 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbyun View Post

I was simply asking others for clarification as I am not 100% sure either. Jeez no need to roll your eyes at me.

I was rolling my eyes at myself.
post #99 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 PM

and speaking of zone 2, does the AVR-3806 have the same limitation that only analog audio sources can go to zone 2? Mine is still on order from the local installer, and I would like to plan the cabling.

So far it seems I want to use digital from the DVD/CD player (Denon 1920) so that the Equalization can work. But then I need to run parallel analog cables for zone 2? At least the 3805 had this restriction. I understand that there could be only one set of Audio A/D converters, or one set of DSP path, but what exactly is the restriction?

Thanks if anyone has tried the zone 2 feature.
post #100 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggavigli View Post

I made a mistake in my earlier post, my system sounds "better" when I use "Front" rather than "Flat" or "Audyssey". The best sound is turning room eq off.

I'm still curious as to the crossover frequencies. After running the auto setup the Crossover Freq. Check screen shows:

Front Small: 200Hz
Center Small: 150Hz
Surround A Small: 110Hz

If the subwoofer only goes up to 80Hz won't there be a big hole in the frequency response?

I have K7 M&K left/right/center. I have something like the M&K MkII 75Watt subwoofer. K4 tripoles in the back.

I experienced the exact same thing over the weekend. Sounds better with room eq off. I also saw that the crossover was all over the place as well. I reset the crossovers all to 80Hz and speakers to small and am going to do some experimenting over the next few days. But you know, I love this stuff. Heck, farting around over the next few months, experimenting with auto eq, setting some myself, listening to all the different modes is part of the fun

If it just set itself up with 100% accuracy, I would have been disapointed. Also, what the receiver says is 100% accurate might not agree with my listening style regardless.
post #101 of 2885 Old 10-17-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post

I sure wish Denon would post the gosh darned manual to the website!!!

Anyone with the unit using the Multi Zone features? If not would anyone mind looking up the he manual what types of video can be sent to Zone 2 and is there still the Zone 3 option (obviously audio only unpowered)

Jason

The manual is on the Denon USA website, I just downloaded it. And it does offer input renaming!! Good, now I don't have to figure out whats on video 1 and video 2 etc.
post #102 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 05:49 AM

WooHoo AuroraProject you are right the manual has been posted!

Now I get to overanalyze it to the point that I talk myself in and out of the purchase for a few months!

My first gripe is that Zone2 can only use Composite and Svideo, why not allow one of the 2 Component outs to be used for Zone2? O well.....

Jason
post #103 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post

WooHoo AuroraProject you are right the manual has been posted!

Now I get to overanalyze it to the point that I talk myself in and out of the purchase for a few months!

My first gripe is that Zone2 can only use Composite and Svideo, why not allow one of the 2 Component outs to be used for Zone2? O well.....

Jason

They want you to buy another receiver
post #104 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I picked up the 3806 last night and got it connected. I haven't had time to go through the configuration (will do that tonight).

Reading the forms regarding the HDCP issues and HDMI switching, has anyone connected the dish DVR-942 to the 3806 successfully without HDCP error messages?

Supposedly the DVR-942 is HDCP compliant. Is being compliant all that matters, or, is there other things that come into play with getting the 3806 HDMI to work as intended?

TIA
BW
post #105 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM

Just bought the 3806 from Tweeter and attempting to hook it up currently. Ran into the Comcast Motorola cable box problem almost immediately.

I had better luck hooking up my Sony DVP-NS975V upconverting DVD player. The problem is that the audio is only registered as stereo by the Denon using HDMI. When I switched to RCA audio and video connections I got 5.1.

Any ideas?
post #106 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlibby00 View Post

Just bought the 3806 from Tweeter and attempting to hook it up currently. Ran into the Comcast Motorola cable box problem almost immediately.

I had better luck hooking up my Sony DVP-NS975V upconverting DVD player. The problem is that the audio is only registered as stereo by the Denon using HDMI. When I switched to RCA audio and video connections I got 5.1.

Any ideas?

Somewhere in the Sony HDMI setup you may have to enable multi-channel. It sounds like the Sony is currently set to 2 channel HDMI.
post #107 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 07:07 PM

I was able to tweak the settings and get Dolby Digital to come through.

I'm going to continue to monitor this thread to see if the Comcas\\Motorola issue gets resolved.
post #108 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 07:42 PM

Dlibby,
did you have to tweak the Sony settings or Denon to get the sound right?

also, what firmware rev of the Motorola box are you using? Rumor has it that their may be a firmware fix for this since a lot of people are complaining

(p.s. wouldn't hurt to call moto and comcast and add to the complaint list - maybe they will do something then.)
post #109 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 08:06 PM

I just started to setup and the first I noticed is the on screen display is not working. I am going direct HDMI to a new sammy HLR-4667.

Setup from the remote will not bring up the menu on the TV. The other HDMI inputs from dish 942 and DVD swithch HDMI ok but no on screen setup. I have been through the video setup on the 3806 display 50X to make sure everything was right.....anyone have this problem? Maybe I have bad unit out of the box.

TIA
BW
post #110 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwbass View Post

I am going direct HDMI to a new sammy HLR-4667.

I believe that the Samsung's cannot accept a 480i signal, which the onscreen menu is, over it's HDMI connection.

Steve V.
post #111 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevvot View Post

I believe that the Samsung's cannot accept a 480i signal, which the onscreen menu is, over it's HDMI connection.

This is true for a decent number of TVs. What you can do is setup most things using component and then switch over to HDMI.
post #112 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 PM

Hello everyone, first post in the forum. A bit intimidated by the knowledge I see displayed by everyone, but here I humbly go with my questions:

1) I am interested in buying a pair of EPOS ELS 3 speakers for a second zone. I will be using them with the 3806 (again, for zone 2), but the speakers recommend 25 - 100 w amplification. Is that a problem (120 W for 3806)? Should I just be careful not to run the Denon to the max? Or should I look at another set of speakers?

2) On zone 1, my video display (Pio 43'' 930 with media receiver) will be at one end of the room, the DVD player (Denon 2910) at the other end (about 16-18 feet from the display) and the rest of the equipment (denon 3806, vcr, cable box, etc.) will be downstairs, about 18 feet from the DVD player and about 24 -26 feet from the Pio and its media receiver.

Besides not being able to use HDMI, am I missing anything due to the distance?? Will I be able to use the Denon Link at these distances, and if I can't, will I be missing something by using another type of connection other than the Denon link? My concern is that I am getting features that I won't be able to use for either AUDIO and/or VIDEO. I know about HDMI, anything else?

Thanks!!
post #113 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 08:33 PM

I thought the HDMI output passes 480,720,1080...is this for components only? The OS menu is only 480. I can't change the sammy thers no option to go to 480i. This stinks...is there a work around? It's hard think that Denon would put this limitation in for all the new TV's being produced that are native 720 and 1080.
post #114 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 PM

In case others come across this problem. The modifications I had to make to get my Sony DVP-NS975V were purely on the DVD player. For some reason the DVD player ships with Dolby Digital and DTS output set to D-PCM. As near as I can tell this assumes a component which cannot process these formats natively and hence down mixes them (is that the right term) to 2 channel audio. I switched to Dolby Digital and DTS respectively and had no problems. I had the audio input set to auto and it picked up Dolby Digital no problem.

Am I correct in assuming whether or not you can DTS or Dolby Digital is a function of the way the DVD is encoded?
post #115 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 09:28 PM

Can anybody tell me how I would go about figuring out which firmware version my Comcast\\Moto box is? I literally got the box the day they switched to HDMI according to the guy at Cirtcuit City. Also, can a firmware update be pushed out to the box instead of having to bring it in?

Finally, who should I call to get on the complaint list. I know comcast is 1-800-COMCAST, but I find it hard to believe I could ever navigate my way to someone smart enough to have any idea about this problem.
post #116 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by winowicki View Post

and speaking of zone 2, does the AVR-3806 have the same limitation that only analog audio sources can go to zone 2? Mine is still on order from the local installer, and I would like to plan the cabling.

So far it seems I want to use digital from the DVD/CD player (Denon 1920) so that the Equalization can work. But then I need to run parallel analog cables for zone 2? At least the 3805 had this restriction. I understand that there could be only one set of Audio A/D converters, or one set of DSP path, but what exactly is the restriction?

Thanks if anyone has tried the zone 2 feature.

To decode digital streams in Zone 2 while decoding a digital stream in the main room requires a 2nd DSP..
post #117 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 PM

dlibby

my understanding is that comcast pushes out firmware upgrades to the boxes all the time. done over the network and you don't even know about it.

the question is when will they push moto to get the hdmi issue addressed (assuming it can be done in firmware)?

so, if enough people complain, maybe, just maybe moto will give them the firmware fix and then comcast can push it out.
post #118 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 10:23 PM

Got mine today, the remote is meh. It controls some functions of my tv and DVR, but not others. I can't access the "My DVR" feature using the Denon remote and it wont adjust my tv's volume. Looks like I'll have to pick up that universal after all.

Edit: I should mention that I've only had 2 hours to play with it so far, so maybe the remote can do what I need it too! Hopefully I'll get to play with it more tomorrow.
post #119 of 2885 Old 10-18-2005, 11:09 PM

I'd mess with manual-programming of the remote a bit. You can literally reassign any button except amp on/off I think. I have mine setup to control my TV's input, Aspect & setup, then all the receiver functions (default for amp), then full DVD player control, full VCR Control, and finally full ReplayTV control with all the important buttons mapped around the center the way I like them

Ok so has anyone had my 480p problem yet? I'd really like for someone to connect a DVD Player using component video to the 3806, then hdmi from the 3806 to the TV and run a progressive output from the dvd player. My picture jumps up and down when I do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #120 of 2885 Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 AM

Will the 3806 take signal from a standard computer with DVI output. Obviously a DVI to HDMI cable is required, however just wondering if this has been tested?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page