AVS Forum banner

Denon 3806 Owners Thread

445K views 3K replies 601 participants last post by  TomB19 
#1 ·
Post all questions & answers about setting up Denon 3806 here tweaking/inputs settings etc.

#2 ·
The 3806 is on the top of my list of "possibilities" for my new HT when it's finished.

Official website: Denon website

Denon AVR-3806

Retail $1300

120W x 7, (actual 107W into 5 channels by testing)

Triple zone capable

2 HDMI in, 1 out, no upconversion of analog, but (+) pass through on HDMI.

3 component in, 2 out, component upconversion of analog (to interlaced output only)

Autoroom calibration Audyssey MultEQ XT (mic included)

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrings /forum/post/0

2 HDMI in, 1 out, no upconversion of analog, but (+) pass through on HDMI.

I'll get this out of the way early on. What exactly does pass through entail? Does this allow the output of any input (analog and HDMI) over the single HDMI out? And does this just mean there is no enhancement to the image?

If this is true, I'd definitely consider the 3806. One cable going to my TV would be great!

Thanks,

Rob

#6 ·
This is a long shot, but I might as well ask: Is it possible to pass through an HDMI source to the component outs? (I have an old HDTV.)

#7 ·
Picked one up this aft at Tweeter. Still in the box and I'll probably set it up tomorrow night. I'll post my impressions when I have a chance to experiment.

If you have questions and don't have access to the operating instructions, I can check on anything that's in their documentation

I'm anxious to test Denon Link 3 with my DVD-3910 to compare audio to analog 5.1 sound.

I wish Denon would update their new site to include firmware updates. Their products are great, but their web site redesign in progressing at a snail's pace.

/George

#8 ·
Let us know about the two component outs. I wanted to know whether different inputs could be played on different component outputs simultaneously. It might be cool to test out with a Belkin AV55000 to another tv/monitor.

#12 ·
This is my first Denon receiver and setup was difficult for me. The Operating Instructions documentation is not good. I had difficulty getiing TV and DVD sound and spent hours getting basic setup right.

I have optical connections from my Hi-Def cable Box and DVD (3910) player and also Denon Link 3 into the 3806 for audio.

Sound is unbelievable so far even before detailed set-up. Very clean and I notice instrumentation that I didn't hear on my Sony ES receiver.

Festus - the 3806 can not be connected to a computer. The upcoming 4306 can.

/George

#13 ·
I'm planning on getting the Denon AVR 3806 and some of these HDMI issues involving cable boxes and the like concern me. I've got a DirecTV HD Tivo which is currently connected to my TV through an HDMI-DVI cable and it works fine. Since I plan to upgrade my player soon to an HDMI out, I'd like to be able to use the switching function. Is it any help that the system information on my HR10-250 does say that the HDMI output on the Tivo is HDCP compliant?

#14 ·
My 3806 arrived today. It was relatively easy to unpack and set it up. The manual appears to be identical to the 3806 manual that's available on the German Denon site.

The good: SACD playback -- the multichannel sound reproduction is wonderful (source is a Denon 1920). Also, Audyssey equalization has improved the acoustics considerably in my oddly-shaped home theater.

The bad: I'm sad to report that the 3806 does not synch up with the HDMI input from a Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR either (DVI output converted to HDMI via DVI-HDMI cable). HDMI from the Denon 1920 DVD player works fine. Fortunately, my TV has two HDMI inputs, so no worries yet. However, such an expensive receiver should not have trouble synching up with garden variety (HDCP-enabled) DVRs. That's not acceptable.

The ugly: 1) the manual. Never been a big fan of Denon manuals, and this one is no exception. There seems to be no logic to the organization. 2) Human interface design. I spent a frustrating half hour trying to run the auto-equalization scheme. Turns out that you start the sequence by pressing the left-arrow key rather than the "enter" key like all other menus everywhere on the planet. Barf.

More later. Now back to the "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD!

#15 ·
Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Can you clarify your statement below (I am a bit of a neophyte)

he bad: I'm sad to report that the 3806 does not synch up with the HDMI input from a Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR either (DVI output converted to HDMI via DVI-HDMI cable). HDMI from the Denon 1920 DVD player works fine. Fortunately, my TV has two HDMI inputs, so no worries yet. However, such an expensive receiver should not have trouble synching up with garden variety (HDCP-enabled) DVRs. That's not acceptable.

1. Can't the sound get synched via doing a delay on the Denon?

2. I also have a 1920 and the Moto. So does this mean the 1920 will be synched and the Moto won't if I only have 1 HDMI on my TV and I put all the inputs into the Denon and output to the only HDMI input I have on my TV?

3. Any ideas if the 4306 would act any differently?

Thanks.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG02 /forum/post/0

This is my first Denon receiver and setup was difficult for me. The Operating Instructions documentation is not good. I had difficulty getiing TV and DVD sound and spent hours getting basic setup right.

I have optical connections from my Hi-Def cable Box and DVD (3910) player and also Denon Link 3 into the 3806 for audio.

Sound is unbelievable so far even before detailed set-up. Very clean and I notice instrumentation that I didn't hear on my Sony ES receiver.

Festus - the 3806 can not be connected to a computer. The upcoming 4306 can.

/George

George which Sony ES receiver were you using?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver /forum/post/0

The bad: I'm sad to report that the 3806 does not synch up with the HDMI input from a Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR either (DVI output converted to HDMI via DVI-HDMI cable). HDMI from the Denon 1920 DVD player works fine. Fortunately, my TV has two HDMI inputs, so no worries yet. However, such an expensive receiver should not have trouble synching up with garden variety (HDCP-enabled) DVRs. That's not acceptable.

It's not Denon's fault with the HDCP, this is a common issue with Motorola, Scientific Atlanta and Hughes HR10-250 boxes.
They were not developed with HDMI switcher/repeaters in mind. A whole new generation of satellite/cable boxes will be needed if HDMI is expected to work. Component should look fine. Good luck

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 /forum/post/0

George which Sony ES receiver were you using?

Ted-

It is the Sony V333ES. It is a good receiver. I think I paid about $500 and it's got many useful surround fields, a good remote and the SQ is good for a receiver in this price range. No component outs though.

The 3806 sound is amazing so far. Dolby Digital TV sounds superb as does Denon link SACD sound. That's all I've played with so far.

Mooneydriver -

I agree with you on the manual. It sucks. It's also misleading, claiming the 3806 upconverts video. According to it, "upconverting" is passing S-Video through to component, component through to HDMI, etc.. No scaling. I call that switching, not upconverting.

I reached Carl at Denon tech support yesterday after about 10 tries and eventually getting bounced to EMail. He support was excellent. He answered all my questions, helped me with an audio issue and was very patient.

Quality support like this (on a NEW product!), while difficult to reach, is another big plus for Denon. Denon needs to keep Carl and add more like him.

Night and day vs. Sony tech support.

/George

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fallon /forum/post/0

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Can you clarify your statement below (I am a bit of a neophyte)

he bad: I'm sad to report that the 3806 does not synch up with the HDMI input from a Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR either (DVI output converted to HDMI via DVI-HDMI cable). HDMI from the Denon 1920 DVD player works fine. Fortunately, my TV has two HDMI inputs, so no worries yet. However, such an expensive receiver should not have trouble synching up with garden variety (HDCP-enabled) DVRs. That's not acceptable.

1. Can't the sound get synched via doing a delay on the Denon?

2. I also have a 1920 and the Moto. So does this mean the 1920 will be synched and the Moto won't if I only have 1 HDMI on my TV and I put all the inputs into the Denon and output to the only HDMI input I have on my TV?

3. Any ideas if the 4306 would act any differently?

Thanks.

I think you may have misread what was said.

1. When he says "synch up," he means the video output through HDMI. As many others have stated, this is an HDCP issue that occurs from the box itself. As stated in the second post, the 3806 does have "Audio Signal Delay (Sync. Audio with Video signal) - By source"

2. If you plan to use HDMI for both the 1920 and the Moto, then yes there's a good chance you will get no video from the Moto. The immediate workaround is to use component for the Moto and still output all signals via the HDMI out to your TV.

3. I don't think anyone can officially say as the 4306 hasn't been released yet.

#20 ·
Enigma,

thank you for the clarification.

I didn't realize that there was a video sync issue! I knew there was a general issue with sound/video sync so I jumped to that wrong conclusion.

Is there a noticeable difference between using the component vs. HDMI output from the Moto and going through the Denon?

Thanks again.

#22 ·
Are you recommending running component cables out from the STB, into the 3806 and then out to the TV through the 3806's HDMI output?

If so, and there's allegedly no noticeable difference in PQ, why not just run the component connection from the HD STB right into the TV? Aside from whatever preference one might have for avoiding input switching on the TV, does the transcoding from analog component cables to digital through the 3806' HDMI output render any improvement in PQ?

Personally, I'm really discouraged about this problem with STB's. Why not just get the Denon AVR-3805 if the HDMI switching doesn't work on the 3806? I'm also very unhappy with Denon for not working out this issue with the various cable and satellite companies before going to market.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver /forum/post/0

My 3806 arrived today. It was relatively easy to unpack and set it up. The manual appears to be identical to the 3806 manual that's available on the German Denon site.

The good: SACD playback -- the multichannel sound reproduction is wonderful (source is a Denon 1920). Also, Audyssey equalization has improved the acoustics considerably in my oddly-shaped home theater.

The ugly: 1) the manual. Never been a big fan of Denon manuals, and this one is no exception. There seems to be no logic to the organization. 2) Human interface design. I spent a frustrating half hour trying to run the auto-equalization scheme. Turns out that you start the sequence by pressing the left-arrow key rather than the "enter" key like all other menus everywhere on the planet. Barf.

More later. Now back to the "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD!

I am a little bit confused as you seem to have said that MultEQ XT improved the SACD playback through multichannel analog input. AFAIK, 3806 can't digitize multichannel analog inputs, thus MultEQ XT cannot be applied.

Denon 1920 doesn't have DenonLink 3, does it?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber /forum/post/0

Are you recommending running component cables out from the STB, into the 3806 and then out to the TV through the 3806's HDMI output?

If so, and there's allegedly no noticeable difference in PQ, why not just run the component connection from the HD STB right into the TV? Aside from whatever preference one might have for avoiding input switching on the TV, does the transcoding from analog component cables to digital through the 3806' HDMI output render any improvement in PQ?

Personally, I'm really discouraged about this problem with STB's. Why not just get the Denon AVR-3805 if the HDMI switching doesn't work on the 3806? I'm also very unhappy with Denon for not working out this issue with the various cable and satellite companies before going to market.

Really the only reason for the component to the receiver and then hdmi to the TV is that there is one connection to the TV. You DVD player or other device can connect to the receiver via hdmi and then just one single hdmi connection to the TV for a nice clean install.

I would also not be mad at denon, its not a denon issue with hdmi switching, its an issue with HDCP on the cable/sat boxes. Other have reported similar issues even before the 3806 arrived.

The plus for the 3806 over the 3805 is the ability to use HDMI ports for DVD and Xbox 360, Component for SAT/Cable, composite for VCR etc and have it all conenct to the TV with one cable!

#25 ·
s2silber

I can't get my SA8300 to sync directly with IF4805 due to issue with TWC's software in Southwest Ohio....this is a major roadblock for me to upgrade. I want the HDMI(via DVI) switching but its pointless for me until cableco gets off its posterior.

If anyone has success with SA8300 TWC sync via HDMI, please post your findings. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.