RX-D702B Unofficial Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 821 Old 11-06-2005, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NOTE: I edited this post in July 07 to update my components/links and to let you know that the 702B does NOT support 1080p, so if that's important to you look elsewhere.

NOTE: I edited this post in April 06 to clarify some points and provide more specific information about the 702B. Enjoy

I've noticed several threads on the RX-D702B, but now that it's shipping I thought I'd start a thread specifically for owners. I received mine about 2 weeks ago and have been testing various features since then.

My home theater consists of the following

My house has a great room with a 15' alcove inset 29 that allows me to have all three televisions side by side. I'm a big news and football junkie and with this setup, which I call Dolphin-Vision , I can watch four DirecTV Sunday Ticket games at once. Two in HD, two on the 50" (one being in the PIP window of the UTV). I use the CRT's to watch news and sports channels without having to turn on the 61 (quieter and saves bulb life). The URC-200 remote transmits via RF to MRF-100 IR Expander so the remote can be used from anywhere in the house.

Enough on the theater components, now for my RX-D702B review

Inputs:
On the rear of the receiver there are 2 HDMI inputs, 2 HD component inputs, and 3 assignable digital audio inputs (2 optical, 1 coaxial). On the front there's a composite/s-video video input and a 4th digital audio input, both hard-coded to the AUX source.

Only 3 of the 4 HD video inputs can be directly assigned to a source because the first HDMI and component input are hard coded to the DVD source. The second HDMI and component input can be assigned to either the VCR or DBS sources. Some have said that only 3 sources for 4 inputs is a deal breaker, but you can use the 4th input in a roundabout way. Each source can be switched to all of its available inputs (i.e. the DVD source can toggle between its composite, s-video, component, and HDMI inputs). So if you have a 4th HD device, you can plug it in to the other HD DVD input and use the video input button to switch to it when necessary. Similarly, you'll need to use the audio input button to switch the DVD to another audio input. If you use HDMI as one of the digital audio inputs for the DVD, this is not a big deal. Just assign one of the 3 rear digital audio inputs to the DVD and the other 2 to the VCR and DBS. Now you can directly switch to 3 of the 4 HD sources by pressing the DVD, VCR, or DBS buttons. You can indirectly choose the 4th HD source by pressing the DVD button, then pressing the video and audio input buttons. To switch back to the other HD device, press the video and audio input buttons a couple more times. If your universal remote has a macro function, you can accomplish this with a single press on the remote.

Addendum: Since writing this review, I found a way to switch to the component DVD input using the TV source button (allowing direct access to both DVD video inputs), although the input resolution cannot exceed 480i. You can find more information here...
4 Month Update: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51#post7333151
Instructions to use the TV source to switch to the 2nd DVD input: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...76#post7358576
I use this trick to access the DVD player via the TV source and my HTPC via the DVD source.

Input Setup:
Here's how I decided to use the inputs
  • The DVD/VCR/DVD Recorder is connected to the DVD component input. I know this will sound weird, but since I am using the "TV source trick", the coax digital audio output of the DVD is actually assigned to the TV source, with the optical digital audio output of my shuttle HTPC assigned to the DVD source.
  • My Shuttle HTPC connected is connected via a DVI/HDMI cable connected to the DVD HDMI input. See the "4 month update" post to see how I can switch between this input and the component input connected to my DVD player.
  • The XBOX 360 is connected to the only assignable component input, which I've assigned to the VCR source. I've assigned one of the 2 optical digital audio inputs to this source.
  • One HD Satellite Receiver is connected to the only assignable HDMI input, which I've assigned to the DBS source. I'm using the same HDMI input for audio, with no other digital audio input assigned.
  • Since I used the HDMI cable for the audio input of the satellite receiver, I was able to assign the third rear digital audio input to the TV source, which is the only audio source on the receiver. I'm going to connect this input to a digital audio switch connected to the outputs of my F38310, Ultimate TV, CD and/or other audio sources. This is important to me because I often want hear audio from these sources without switching the main TV to a different video source.
    Addendum: Since writing this post, I've had several frustrating experiences with the TV source. It's supposedly an audio only source, but I've discovered an issue that could be considered a "bug" or a "feature" depending on what you're trying to accomplish. In the above case, I had to scrap my plan to put a digital audio switch in front of the TV source because sometimes the video can change when you press TV (see my post a little further down this thread for the details). That is the bug However, if you want to use TV to switch to the component DVD input, then this is a "feature" See my "4 month update" post for the specifics. I now use TV as a 2nd DVD digital audio input.
  • The Laserdisc player is connected via composite video cable to the AUX input on the front of receiver. This may sound strange as an s-video input is available, but the native output of any LD player is an NTSC composite signal. If I were to use the s-video, I'd be relying on the LD players comb filter to produce the s-video output from the composite source. Since the receiver has an undoubtedly superior Faroudja video processor, sending the unprocessed composite signal to the receiver is the way to go. I'm using the 4th front digital audio input for this source.
  • These last connections effectively create a 2nd video zone, but have nothing to do with the 702B . By connecting the s-video outputs of the HD satellite receiver and X-Box to the DR-MV1, I not only get a DVD Player/Recorder via component output to the 702B, but also get a 2nd video zone via its s-video output to the 50 TV in the main room, and RF modulated output via coax cable to another TV in the bedroom.

Video Output:
Since this is not dual-zone receiver, I didn't attempt to connect the video output of the 702B to anything other than the 61Z585, which has one HDMI input. A single HDMI cable connects the receiver to the TV.

Video Performance:

NTSC Analog SD (composite, s-video, and interlaced component video)
The receiver converts all signals to HDMI as advertised, but does not change the output resolution. I've confirmed this by using the service menu on my television to display the source resolution as I switched to each source on the 702B. However, the receiver does deinterlace all analog 480i inputs into 480p. The manual states that the Faroudja DCDi eliminates jagged edges generated in progressive scan conversion and that this function is only applied only when NTSC analog video signals are used (page 1). Laserdiscs look as good as you could hope for, considering the NTSC source. To get a comparison of the video with and without the receiver's processing, I ran a second composite video output from the player directly to a video input on the TV. Then I switched between the two inputs while watching an A-B roll of a segment of the disc. The receiver's DCDi'd video had substantially less digital artifacting than the unprocessed video feed. This was even more clear when I used my HD Tivo via s-video or component outputs. When the Tivo is set to 480i, the output is MUCH better for SD material than when it is set to 720P. If you want the best SD satellite/cable picture quality, I highly suggest connecting your STB via component outputs and setting the STB to 'native' video output mode. This will allow the 702B's DCDI to kick in for any 480i material, providing the best picture, although there will be a pause when changing channels between SD and HD channels as your television syncs to the new video resolution.

Component and HDMI HD
High definition component sources are converted to HDMI and look great. 1080p IS NOT supported by this receiver, but other than that, the source resolution is passed through to the HDMI port. My XBox 360 at 720p looks better via HDMI from the 702B than it did directly connected to the monitor via component cables. This means that the receiver has better conversion to digital than my monitor does, but you may get different results with your equipment. HD video via HDMI from the satellite receiver looks identical to when it was directly connected to the monitor. There is a slight pause when selecting HDMI inputs, but that's to be expected due to the HDCP encryption handshake on these sources.

Speaker Setup:
My speakers are 5.1, so that's how I configured the receiver. There are speaker posts with banana plug sockets for all 7 speakers, but you cannot use dual-banana plugs due to the spacing between the posts. The Smart Surround setup function didn't work with my speakers so I used the receiver's pink noise test in conjunction with my trusty Radio Shack sound pressure meter to calibrate. The subwoofer is included in the test, which is a nice touch. Each speaker can be adjusted individually for distance, which affects the delay, and for volume. Most settings can be adjusted with either the on screen menu and remote, or at the receiver with the source/jog dials and display window. There are exceptions such as the audio input label can only be changed from TV to Sirius at the receiver, while changing the video and audio input used for each source can only be accomplished via the remote.

Note: Although my TV has a center channel line input so it's speakers can be used as the center channel, this receiver does not have a line output for the center channel, so I had to use a center channel speaker . The receiver does have a center channel localization setting to make the sound appear to come from the center of the screen though.

Audio Quality:
Movies
It's nice to finally be able to switch to a high definition source and have the audio change with it. Besides that, the audio quality of the receiver is excellent to my untrained ears. There is no hiss at high volume levels during quiet movie passages, and I hear no distortion during very loud house rattling passages. The receiver automatically picks the best surround mode based on the input signal, but you can manually change it to what you want from the remote. For 2 channel material I recommend the PLII MOVIE mode.

Music
Music on the receiver sounds great. I used the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over DVD in both PCM and DTS to test. One of my favorite tracks is Seven Bridges Road because each voice comes out of a different speaker. There is a 5 band digital EQ that can adjust + or - 8 db at 63, 250, 1k, 4k, and 16k Hz. Everything I played on the D702B sounded good to me. For stereo material I recommend the NEO:6 MUSIC mode because it outputs the unaltered stereo to the left and right speakers then creates material for the other speakers that give the music depth.

USB and Wireless
The receiver has a USB input that can be used via direct connection to the receiver or via a wireless USB dongle. When either is plugged into a computer (Windows or Mac), plug and play automatically detects a PC Speaker device that reroutes all PC audio to the receiver. I tried the wireless dongle with my laptop and it worked well, but this source is 2 channel only.

Conclusion:
While the RX-D702B is certainly not perfect, for the most part all I would do is add additional audio and video source buttons and make the 4 HD and digital audio inputs completely assignable. This shortcoming can be worked around and for my money the receiver is well worth the price and is a keeper. I'll be happy with it until receivers become available with mega-HDMI inputs and multi-zone outputs that, dare I say, not only output HDMI, but can also downconvert to NTSC if desired, allowing me to keep my SD TV's a little while longer ;-)

Addendum:

The above is my original conclusion, which I still basically agree with, but I would like to add the following...

Discovering that there is no audio source on the 702B that can be switched to without changing the video (sometimes) disappointed me. I have three TV's in the main room and I wanted to switch to the audio of any of them without changing the video on the main TV. Since "normal" people don't have 3 TV's in their home theater, this is not likely to be an issue for you (and I've gotten around the problem by just turning up the volume on the other 2 TV's when I want to hear them ), but it still annoy's me.

On the other hand, most of us want to use both of the high quality DVD video inputs (component and HDMI). Discovering a way to do that with the TV source (albeit at 480i for the component input) makes the connectivity situation for the 702B a tad better than what I originally described.

Another point of clarification is that the 702B does not upscale video. It deinterlaces 480i to 480p via Faroudja's DCDi, and passes everything else at it's original resolution via HDMI, that's it. If you want a receiver that increases the resolution of the source material then the 702B is not for you. That being said, why does it have to? Most HDTV monitors do a fairly good job converting 480p, 720p, or 1080i material to their native resolution, be that 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. It's the 480i sources that look terrible on these monitors, mostly because of their inexpensive 480i deinterlacers. Mine is no exception, so whenever I watch SD material, I've learned with the 702B to keep the resolution of the source at 480i, even if it is capable of higher resolutions. Now my monitor, which does a good job upconverting the DCDi deinterlaced 480p to higher resolutions, creates a much better image than it would have without the 702B.

Keep in mind that DCDi only processes video on the analog inputs of the 702B. All HDMI inputs bypass this processing. Be careful that any HDMI components you purchase that output 480i material have a good deinterlacer since you will not be able to take advantage of the one in the 702B

Lastly, HDMI is still on the bleeding edge and there are all kinds of player/display compatibility issues that can be introduced when you insert an HDMI receiver between them. After reading some of the threads of other higher end HDMI receivers that upconvert, the extra processing they perform can make them less compatible with some HDMI devices (which can be notoriously finicky due to their secure HDCP encryption handshake) than the 702B, which passes the original signals through unprocessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 821 Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostau View Post

I've noticed several threads on the RX-D702B but none of their titles were specifically review related, so I thought I'd start a thread specifically for that purpose.

I received mine about 2 weeks ago and have been testing various features since then.

My home theater consists of the following

My house has a great room with a 15' alcove inset 29 that allows me to have all three televisions side by side. I'm a big news and football junkie and with this setup, which I call Dolphin-Vision , I can watch four DirecTV Sunday Ticket games at once (two in HD, two more on the 50, one in the PIP window of the UTV). I use the CRT's to watch news and sports channels without having to turn on the 61 (quieter and saves bulb life). I use the DR-MV1 as a dual s-channel video switcher and as an RF modulator, allowing me to display standard definition video in the bedroom via coax cable. The URC-200 remote transmits via RF to MRF-100 IR Expander so I can use the remote from anywhere in the house.

Enough on the theater components, now for my RX-D702B review

Inputs:
The reciever has 2 HDMI inputs, 2 HD component inputs, and 3 assignable digital audio inputs (2 optical, 1 coaxial) on the rear of the unit. On the front there's a composite/s-channel video input and a 4th digital audio input, both hard-coded to the AUX source.

Only 3 of the 4 HD video inputs can be directly assigned to a video source due to the fact that the first HDMI and component input are hard coded to the DVD source. The second HDMI and component input can be assigned to either the VCR or DBS sources. I know some of you have said that having only 3 sources for the 4 inputs is a deal breaker, but you can use the 4th HD input in a roundabout way. Each source can be switched to all of its available inputs (i.e. the DVD source can toggle between its composite, s-channel, component, and HDMI inputs). So if you have a 4th HD device, you can plug it in to the other HD DVD input and use the video source button to switch to that input when necessary. Similarly, you'll need to use the audio source button to switch the DVD to another audio source. If you use the HDMI cable as one of the digital audio sources for the DVD, this is not a big deal. Just assign one of the 3 rear digital audio inputs to the DVD and the other 2 to the VCR and DBS. Alternatively, if you use the 2nd HDMI input as an audio source for that device, it allows you to assign the remaining digital audio input to the TV source, which is the ONLY audio source on the receiver. Now you can directly switch to 3 of the 4 HD sources by pressing the DVD, VCR, or DBS buttons, respectively. You can indirectly choose the 4th HD source by pressing the DVD button, then pressing the video and audio source buttons. To switch back to the other HD device, press the video and audio source buttons a couple more times. If your universal remote has a macro function, you can accomplish this with a single press on the remote.

Input Setup:
Here's how I decided to use the inputs
  • The DVD/VCR/DVD Recorder is connected via component cables to the DVD input. I've assigned the coax digital audio input to this source.
  • The XBOX with HD kit is connected to the only assignable component input, which I've assigned to the VCR source. I've assigned one of the 2 optical digital audio inputs to this source.
  • The HD Satellite Receiver is connected to the only assignable HDMI input, which I've assigned to the DBS source. I'm using the same HDMI cable for the audio, with no other digital audio input assigned.
  • The Laserdisc player is connected via composite video cable to the AUX input on the front of receiver. This may sound strange as an s-channel input is available, but the native output of any LD player is an NTSC composite signal. If I were to use the s-channel, I'd be relying on the LD players comb filter to produce the s-channel output from the composite source. Since the receiver has an undoubtedly superior Faroudia video processor, sending the unprocessed composite signal to the receiver is the way to go. I'm using the 4th front digital audio input for this source.
  • Since I used the HDMI cable for the audio input of the satellite receiver, I was able to assign the second rear optical digital audio input to the TV source, which is the only audio source on the receiver. I'm going to connect this input to a digital audio switch connected to the outputs of my F38310, Ultimate TV, CD and/or other audio sources. This is important to me because I often want hear audio from these sources without switching the main TV to a different video source.
  • This leaves one HDMI input for expansion that I'll use for my future HD-DVD or Xbox360, whichever comes first
  • This last connection has nothing to do with the receiver. I've connected the s-channel outputs of the HD satellite receiver and the X-Box into the DR-MV1 so I can use its s-channel output for the 50 TV in the main room and it's RF modulator output via coax cable for another TV in the bedroom.

Video Output:
Since this is not dual-zone receiver, I didn't attempt to connect the video output to anything other than the 61Z585, which has a single HDMI input. I use the DR-MV1 as a pseudo second zone, allowing me to switch and watch most of my SD sources on one TV, while switching and watching any source (including HD) on the main TV via the receiver. A single HDMI cable is all that connects the receiver to this TV.

Video Performance:

NTSC Analog SD (composite and s-channel)
I'm happy to report that the receiver does indeed convert all signals to HDMI as advertised, and that the Faroudia processor seems to improve the video quality (purely subjective) of NTSC material, but it does not appear to increase the output resolution of the source. I've reached this conclusion by watching laserdiscs through the receiver and noticing that the gray bars generated by the TV on the left and right side of the picture for 480 material are still there. I do however, believe the receiver converts the signal from 480i to 480p. The manual states that the Faroudia DCDi eliminates jagged edges generated in progressive scan conversion and that this function is only applied only when NTSC analog video signals are used (page 1). So it's likely that all 480i sources are getting converted to 480p. If anyone knows of a service menu item on my 61Z585 that will display the input resolution of the source, that would prove it. Laserdiscs look as good as you could hope for, considering the NTSC source. To get a comparison of the video with and without the receiver's processing, I ran a second composite video output from the player directly to a video input on the TV. Then I switched between the two inputs while watching an A-B roll of a segment of the disc. Both looked very good (apparently they both have excellent comb filters), but the receiver's video was always rock solid and film-like whereas the direct video feed would sometimes jitter on freeze frames and, to my eye, appeared grainier. I would imagine you would get the same results from any VCR, SD satellite receiver, DVD player, or other device that has composite, s-channel, or component 480i outputs.

Component and HDMI HD
High definition component sources converted to HDMI look great. My X-Box at 720p seems to look better via HDMI from the receiver than it did when connected directly to the TV via component cables. This may mean that the receiver has a better method of upconversion to digital than the TV does. High definition video from the satellite receiver connected via HDMI looks identical to when it was directly connected to the TV. There is a slight pause when selecting HDMI inputs, but from what I've read, that's to be expected due to the HDCP encryption on these sources.

Audio Setup:
My speakers are 5.1, so that's how I configured the receiver. There are speaker posts with banana plug sockets for all 7 speakers, but you cannot use dual-banana plugs due to short spacing between the posts. The Smart Surround setup function didn't work with my speakers so I used the receiver's white noise test in conjunction with my trusty Radio Shack sound meter to calibrate. The subwoofer is included in the test, which is a nice touch. Each speaker can be adjusted individually for distance, which affects the delay, and for volume. Most settings can be adjusted with either the on screen menu and remote, or at the receiver with the source/jog dials and display window. There are exceptions such as the audio input label can only be changed from TV to Sirius at the receiver, while changing the video and audio input used for each source can only be accomplished via the remote.

Note: Although my TV has a center channel line input so it's speakers can be used as the center channel, this receiver does not have a line output for the center channel, so I had to use a center channel speaker . The receiver does have a center channel localization setting to make the sound appear to come from the center of the screen though.

Audio Quality:
Movies
It's nice to finally be able to switch a high definition source and have the audio change with it once again. Besides that, the audio quality of the receiver is excellent to my untrained ears. There is no hiss at high volume levels during quiet movie passages, and I hear no distortion during very loud house rattling passages. The receiver automatically picks the best surround mode based on the input signal, but you can manually change it to what you want from the remote. Additionally, there are numerous sound fields to choose from, but I haven't had time to play with them as of yet. All of my testing has been with the standard surround mode.

Music
Music on the receiver sounds great. I used the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over DVD in both PCM and DTS to test. One of my favorite tracks is Seven Bridges Road because each voice comes out of a different speaker. There is a 5 band digital EQ that can adjust + or - 8 db at 63, 250, 1k, 4k, and 16k Hz. Everything I played on the D702B sounded good to me.

USB and Wireless
The receiver has a USB input that can be used via direct connection to the receiver or via a wireless USB dongle. When either is plugged into a Windows computer (sorry Mac's and Linux), plug and play automatically detects a PC Speaker device that reroutes all PC audio to the receiver. I tried the wireless dongle with my laptop and it worked well, but this source is 2 channel only.

Conclusion:
While the RX-D702B is certainly not perfect, for the most part, all I would do is add additional audio and video source buttons and make the 4 HD and digital audio inputs completely assignable. This shortcoming can be worked around and for my money the receiver is well worth the price and is a keeper. I'll be happy with it until receivers become available with mega-HDMI inputs and multi-zone outputs that, dare I say, not only output HDMI, but can also downconvert to NTSC if desired, allowing me to keep my SD TV's a little while longer ;-)

Nice review, how would you describe the sound? Have you compared it to non digital receivers? What's the receiver like in stereo? Does it have a pure direct function or...?

Thanks anyway
post #3 of 821 Old 11-08-2005, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice review, how would you describe the sound? Have you compared it to non digital receivers? What's the receiver like in stereo? Does it have a pure direct function or...?

Thanks anyway

Comparing the sound to my previous receiver, a JVC RX-888VBK, would be difficult because over the last year it's developed a severe case of "audio catarac syndrome". The receiver slowly became quieter and quieter, forcing me to raise the volume slowly over time. Eventually I had to turn it up almost all the way to hear it at all. If I accidently turned it off overnight, it took a full day to warm back up to point where I could hear ANYTHING without blowing the breaker. In it's heyday, it was pretty good with Dolby Digital and music, but it stunk at decoding 2 channel Dolby Surround and had a hiss in the surround speakers that drove me crazy. That might be why I check for that first on any new receiver.

Anyway, back to your questions...

Question 1
Quote:

how would you describe the sound?

It's the best sounding receiver I've had. IMO the sound is not tinny or harsh, as has been described with the other JVC receivers in the 702B's line. It's rich with plenty of punch.

Plus, I think that since I've moved into a larger house, my speakers were begging for a little more power to drive them and the 702B fit the bill nicely. RM7500's are pretty large for satellites, making them a good choice for music as well as for movies, which was the primary reason I decided to buy them. I still set them up in the receiver as small speakers, allowing their bass to go to subwoofer, but I've set the crossover to either 80hz or 100hz, so they get most of the signal. They handle all the receiver can throw at them without distortion, clipping, or hissing. Vocal's, acoustic, and classical sound great. I haven't had the urge to put on any headbanger tunes lately, but I'll keep you posted

Question 2
Quote:

Have you compared it to non digital receivers?

Not really. I have limited shelf space since getting rid of my audio pier to make room for another TV The smaller size of the digitals was a big plus, allowing me to get my LaserDisc player back in the rack. I was tempted to try out a Panny digital because of all the great reviews, but the HDMI features tipped the scales in the JVC's favor.

Question 3
Quote:

What's the receiver like in stereo? Does it have a pure direct function or...?

Something that really annoyed me about my old receiver was that whenever I played two channel sources, the receiver stayed in surround mode, causing most of the sound to come from the center channel speaker. I 'm happy to say this in not the case the D702B. In it's default "auto surround" mode, the 702B automatically turns off the surround modes and goes to stereo automatically if a 2 channel source is detected. A refreshing difference.

Though pure stereo mode sounds great, if you want there are new surround modes from Dolby and DTS that are designed to add a surround effect to 2 channel music sources. They are called, respectively, Dolby PLIIx Music and DTS Neo:6 Music (both accessible via repeatedly pressing the surround button on the remote). I prefer the Neo:6 because, to quote the manual, "The front channel signals bypass the decoder (resulting in no loss of sound quality) and the surround signals transmitted through the other speakers expand the sound field naturally". In other words, the center channel stays off and the rear surrounds give the music a "live" quality that adds to the depth of the music. I like it. Another useful mode for stereo buffs is "ALL CH STEREO" (also accessible via repeatedly pressing the surround button on the remote), which routes the stereo signal to each pair of speakers (front, surround, and back surround). This would be good for parties where you want a pair of speakers on the patio. Once you set a surround mode, it's married to that type of source (i.e. PCM, DD, DTS) until you turn it off or reset to automatic.

Good questions. Till next time.
post #4 of 821 Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 AM

I got this unit last Friday from Vann's and spend most of the weekend hooking up connections and setting it up - I'm connecting my XBOX unit thru component connection to the receiver and using the HDMI connection to output video to a Panasonic Plasma TV. After 2 to 3 minutes the picture cease to appear on the TV and the HDMI light indicator on the front panel of the receiver starts to blink - switching the unit off for one hour get me another 2-3 minutes of video - sent to service and will need to wait 3 weeks...
post #5 of 821 Old 11-09-2005, 05:34 PM

Here are a few questions:
I have a DVD player that upscales to 1080i (my tv highest resolution) it has DVI ouputs and is connected to my Mitsubishi TV that only has 2 DVI's inputs and 2 component inputs. And a toslink to my Receiver, and old Yamaha, no component input or output in my Yamaha
I have a Panasonic DVD player recorder, that I use a lot, that is connected to my TV with component cables (480p resolution) and a toslink (audio). I wach my DirecTV through the DVD player recorder and upscales and upconverts from 480i to 480p.
Does anybody now if I can connect my dvd player to the JVC 702 or 402 with a DVI-DHMI adapter/cable and have 1080i resolution? If I do where or how do I connect the digital audio cable? Can I connect my DVD player/recorder to the JVC component imput and output it through the JVC DHIM output to my TV and have 480p resolution?
Does the JVC 702 or 402 will upscale to 480p my analog DirecTV connected through the S-video input of the JVC and through the JVC HDIM output?
I hope I made my self clear.
post #6 of 821 Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 PM

juca39, yes to all your questions. Both the JVC 402 and 702 have the required flexibility to do everything you have listed. The only wildcard is whether you will have good luck passing 1080i from your DVD player through the JVC via the HDMI port or not. It seems a lot of us, myself included, are not having much luck with that. Though in my case it is 1080i from a cable box, not a DVD player. I don't know if that matters.
post #7 of 821 Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSteely View Post

The only wildcard is whether you will have good luck passing 1080i from your DVD player through the JVC via the HDMI port or not. It seems a lot of us, myself included, are not having much luck with that. Though in my case it is 1080i from a cable box, not a DVD player. I don't know if that matters.

I had the same problem passing 1080i from the cable box. The problem turned out to be in the cable box set up (SA3450). A hard reboot followed by a manual set up of the box to indicate all the resolutions I wanted solved the problem. It really had me scratching my head for a long time -- got audio through the HDMI but only got video on the 720p HD channels.
post #8 of 821 Old 11-12-2005, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The only wildcard is whether you will have good luck passing 1080i from your DVD player through the JVC via the HDMI port or not. It seems a lot of us, myself included, are not having much luck with that. Though in my case it is 1080i from a cable box, not a DVD player. I don't know if that matters.

Even though my TV displays at 720p, it accepts 1080i sources so I thought I'd test my HR10-250 at 1080i to see if the 702B would have any problems at that resolution.

I had no problems at all with 1080i from the satellite recv passing through the 702B into the TV
post #9 of 821 Old 11-12-2005, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

This is the first quirk I've found with the 702B that really bothers me.

When I switch to the TV (audio only) source while any non-HDMI source was selected, the video from the current input remains on the screen as expected and only the audio changes.

But when I'm switched to an HDMI source and switch to the TV source, the picture does 1 of 2 things depending on the source as follows...
  • If the source is DVD, then the video switches from the HDMI to the component inputs. I tested this by plugging my HR10-250 into the HDMI port for the DVD. When I have the HDMI video source selected and then change to the TV source, the video changes to the other input and I end up seeing the DVD on the component inputs instead of the HR10-250 on the HDMI video input. When I re-select the DVD source, the HDMI video comes back.
  • If the HDMI input is via assignment to the VCR or DBS source, and you have no other video input for that source connected (i.e. composite or s-channel) , then when you switch from that source to TV, the picture disappears completely.

Could someone else give this a try and see if you get the same result? It's a serious problem for me because IMO, an essential feature of an audio only source is that it NOT affect the video when you switch to it. If there's no way around this I will be very sad indeed.
post #10 of 821 Old 11-13-2005, 07:21 PM

Can someone please confirm to me if the 702 upscales the component and composite from 480i/P up to HDMI/720P or 1080I?

thank you.

Wakefield

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sanyo Z5, Yamaha RX-V2600, Fronts\center = B&W XT4\C, Sides & Rears = Sonance Virtuoso RS2's, Thor IWSUB10
post #11 of 821 Old 11-14-2005, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakefield103 View Post

Can someone please confirm to me if the 702 upscales the component and composite from 480i/P up to HDMI/720P or 1080I?

thank you.

My TV still generates the grey bars it creates for any 480 sources, including any material played through the 702. So I think 480i is converted to 480p and is passed through the HDMI cable as 480p. No upcoversion.
post #12 of 821 Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 PM

Here's my review! I did get my JVC RX-D702B receiver in on Saturday and after about an hour had everything hooked up and functional.

Some disadvantages of the JVC RX-D702B that I've found:

1. Obviously, no 2nd separate set of speakers for another room like other recievers in this price range.
2. USB Wireless - Ok, so this feature is definately a toy, not something that really can be used too often. It's NOT a good way to send audio to the receiver from a computer if you were planning to hook up a media PC to your entertainment center. It works wonderfully once you get things hooked up, but the main drawbacks with the USB wireless are as follows:
a) When the USB audio is activated on the computer, your computer speakers will be disabled and any other audio output devices.
b) To initiate the USB wireless link, you have to flip a switch manually on the back of the receiver from "On" to "ID Learning" mode and at the same time have someone at the computer push a teeny tiny button on the side of the USB wireless transmitter so they can "link" up. Then you move the switch to "On" on the receiver, and things work. But unfortunately, if you restart your computer or if you happen to power things down, they don't link up again (at least from what I've been trying) without switching to "ID learning" again.
3. Source mode naming - There aren't any options to change the names of sources that you are using. Some sources have a type of "toggle" that you can switch between (ex: DBS/DVR) but no specialized naming of sources.
4. In this price range, this unit SHOULD have more optical digital inputs on it than the (2) it currently has. It also has (1) digital coax input, but that's not really enough connections considering all of the digital devices we have nowadays.

Advantages:
1. Faroudja Video Chip - This thing really looks amazing. It is responsible for all of the upconversions you can get out of the receiver. I've got all my S-Video and Component video INs going to the 702B and then a single set of component video outs to my TV. Works great, the quality is superb, and the upconversion is incredible! I regularly watch videos off of my computer (sending the video and audio to the receiver in a stereo RCA/S-Video single cable about 30' in length) and the upconversion from S-Video input to Component out to my TV is amazing! The picture is cleaned up, all jagged artifacts or color- bit-depth "haloing" is gone! Very impressed with the upconversion chip.

2. POWER - This receiver has gobs of it. Most of the time I've been listening to the TV at around 20-25 on the volume setting. On my old reciever, I was constantly using settings in the 50's or 60's for volume out of 80. There definately is more punch and more juice in this reciever, I'm very pleased with the performance.

3. Surround Sound Capabilities - This receiver has them all. All formats, all decodings, even Neo:6 and DTS96/24khz DVD Audio settings. The configuration settings for setting them up is confusing and convuluted at best in the manual, but you certainly do have full control over the entire setup and even set distances from speakers for better sound positioning.

4. Speaker outputs - This receiver can handle either 2.1 (stereo with subwoofer), 4.1 (front speakers, rear speakers, subwoofer), 5.1 (front and rear speakers, center channel and subwoofer), 6.1 (front and rear speakers, center rear, center front, subwoofer) and 7.1 (front and rear and surround rear speakers, center front, subwoofer) Each channel gets 150W of power, which is more than ample for any size basement home theater room you might have.

5. Size - This reciever is only about 4" tall, so it's gonna be shorter than even most DVD changers!. Definately leaves some good room in my entertainment center to allow for cooling of the unit and better airflow. (I did NOT have any problems with overheating, although I did get that "new reciever" smell after a few hours of movie watching on the unit)

PHOTOS

Front View:

Back View:

Official Connections Guide:

VIDEO:
6 Composite RCA Video In plugs
6 S-Video In Plugs
3 Component Video In Plugs
2 HDMI Video In Plugs
1 Component Video Out Plug
1 S-Video Out Plug
1 Component Video Out Plug
1 HDMI Video Out Plug

AUDIO:
2 Stereo IN/2 Stereo Out RCA sets (TV/Sirius, DBS, VCR in+out, DVD/DVR in+out)
DVD-Multi IN (4 RCA plugs allow older analog DVD 5.1 connections)
1 RCA Composite Digital Audio IN
2 Toslink (optical) Digital Audio IN
1 Toslink (optical) Digital Audio OUT
Subwoofer OUT RCA plug

HDMI:
2-IN/1-OUT (Monitor) No effects are processed onto HDMI video, and supposedly subwoofer levels with HDMI cannot be modified. Other types of audio/video are NOT affected.

FINAL NOTES:

Some issues I've been having have been solved by having other JVC AV equipment. Because of a feature called COMPU-LINK, you can have your receiver remote control all of the other AV devices in your entertainment center. Using a normal 1/8" monural plug you can connect each device (TV, DVD, etc) to your reciever and allow it to automatically change the volume, input number, channel, power off/on, etc for each of the devices attached to it. It really works great when you want to switch from TV to DVD. Just hit a single button on your remote, and your DVD player will turn on and start playing, your reciever will change input to DVD, and your TV will adjust to the proper Input channel in order to play the video. Has worked wonderfully for me and is a nice feature if you own all JVC stuff.

I bought my JVC RX-D702B from Vanns.com and paid $598.99 with free shipping and no tax (they are located in Montana).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 821 Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Nice review!

Thanks TT. Does this receiver do DVD-Audio over the HDMI like the panny xr70?
post #14 of 821 Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

Nice review!

Thanks TT. Does this receiver do DVD-Audio over the HDMI like the panny xr70?

Unfortunately I have no HDMI output devices. I still have a 32" CRT Flat Tube TV that uses Component video in from the D702B. I have played DVDs from my DVD player through optical digital out and it sounds great, and have played with DVD-Audio through the (6) RCA jacsk, but have not tried to send it through HDMI to any devices. I'm sure others here could comment on it.

post #15 of 821 Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Hey TT,

I think its time for you to get a nice PJ for Christmas! Then you can have HDMI and a huge screen to view your movies on. The prices are coming down quite low right now.

I think that you are not getting true DVD audio sound through the optical cord. You would need to use the analog six channel inputs from the DVD player to the receiver. That is unless the HDMI passes DVD-A like the panny xr70 does with the panny s97 DVD player.

I went ahead and ordered a panny xr55 to try it out. Should be here by Saturday I hope. I still have not ruled out the JVC completely. Thanks for all your time in reviewing the unit.
post #16 of 821 Old 12-20-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I think its time for you to get a nice PJ for Christmas! Then you can have HDMI and a huge screen to view your movies on. The prices are coming down quite low right now.

Projector would be nice, but I'm really thinking seriously about a 50-56" DLP projection set with 1920x1080 resolution (Samsung is my main choice right now). Problem is that I'm blowing thousands of dollars finishing/remodelling my basement home theater room right now, no money left over for a nice TV. But it will come soon enough!

Quote:

I think that you are not getting true DVD audio sound through the optical cord. You would need to use the analog six channel inputs from the DVD player to the receiver. That is unless the HDMI passes DVD-A like the panny xr70 does with the panny s97 DVD player.

The Optical Digital OUT cable from your DVD player to your Receiver can carry either PCM Stereo audio, Dolby 5.1 Digital Audio, DTS 5.1 Digital Audio. DVD-Audio as you have said requires the (6) RCA Analog connections (this is to prevent piracy and disc copying) go from DVD player to Receiver. I've set that up just for a test but continue to use a single optical out cable from the DVD player because I can't stand all the clutter with it!

post #17 of 821 Old 12-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Heeyyy... first post.. woohoo..

Looking to run HDMI-DVI adapter from 702B to DVI input on 57" Toshiba HD DLP. The audio, of course, is going to be separate from the dvi input.. am I going to run into any issues getting optical audio into the TV? In other words, is the JVC assuming that audio is to run out of the HDMI monitor out, or can it be specified?

-J
post #18 of 821 Old 12-20-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati. View Post

Heeyyy... first post.. woohoo..

Looking to run HDMI-DVI adapter from 702B to DVI input on 57" Toshiba HD DLP. The audio, of course, is going to be separate from the dvi input.. am I going to run into any issues getting optical audio into the TV? In other words, is the JVC assuming that audio is to run out of the HDMI monitor out, or can it be specified?

-J

Digerati, welcome to the site, I'm a newbie here as well!

I'm not sure the JVC D702B actually does ANYTHING with audio sent over HDMI (unless you are upconverting the audio or video from some lower format TO HDMI out at the receiver). If you are (for instance) playing DVD video from your DVD player into the D702B through optical audio out and component RCA video out, you SHOULD be able to use the Optical Audio Out on the D702B to send the audio to the TV, and SHOULD be able to use the HDMI-to-DVI adapter to send the video to the TV. I don't understand why anyone would want to send audio TO the television, as a home theater speaker setup will seriously kill any need for using the TV speakers. (My opinion is that they are underpowered, tinny, and have no bass response)

That's why whenever I end up getting an HDMI-capable HDTV, I will ONLY be sending video signals to it, not any audio signals.

post #19 of 821 Old 12-20-2005, 12:59 PM

Thanks Tubbytreats... there's actually a couple reasons I want to run the optical to the TV...

1. The Toshiba actually has, surprisingly, great sound.

2. I may be doing the HT upgrade in stages... speakers may come later...

Good point though.. when I think about it further, I don't believe I will have any use for them after getting speakers.

Now, I've gotta decide how important the HDMI is to me because I just read that the switching won't work with my SA 8300HD DVR.

Might just go with the Onkyo TX-SR603XS...
post #20 of 821 Old 12-20-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbytreats View Post

D
I'm not sure the JVC D702B actually does ANYTHING with audio sent over HDMI (unless you are upconverting the audio or video from some lower format TO HDMI out at the receiver).

Actually the HDMI input from my DVD player carriers the digital audio in PCM (I believe), which is processed by the receiver. I couldn't tell you if that's the case with the input from the cable box since my box has DVI and requires a separate audio input, but I assume it would be. As for the HDMI output to the TV, I believe it does not carry an audio signal, the suppostion being you'll want your receiver delivering sound, not the TV.

As for the SA8300 problem with HDMI, I'd check out some of the other threads about that box and HDMI. I believe most of the problems are on the Time Warner system and that at least some Comcast systems use a different firmware version that allows HDMI switching. But I don't know that from personal experience.
post #21 of 821 Old 12-21-2005, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 View Post

Actually the HDMI input from my DVD player carriers the digital audio in PCM (I believe), which is processed by the receiver. I couldn't tell you if that's the case with the input from the cable box since my box has DVI and requires a separate audio input, but I assume it would be. As for the HDMI output to the TV, I believe it does not carry an audio signal, the suppostion being you'll want your receiver delivering sound, not the TV.

As for the SA8300 problem with HDMI, I'd check out some of the other threads about that box and HDMI. I believe most of the problems are on the Time Warner system and that at least some Comcast systems use a different firmware version that allows HDMI switching. But I don't know that from personal experience.

I've got an upconverting DVD with HDMI output and the full audio signal passes directly into the 702. It works very well. The 702 identifies the signal and works accordingly.

For Digerati: I also used a progressive scan DVD player and passed the audio signal through one of the optical inputs and the 702 identified that one as well. You should have no problem passing optical audio to the TV if you have the input for it.
post #22 of 821 Old 12-25-2005, 11:28 AM

Hey gang!

Happy Holidays!

I really need some help. A newbie here to the Receiver world.

I also only have a few days before the store will accept the receiver back as a return. I am not sure it is working right... or if I am screwing up.

I have my jvc RX-D702B hooked up via HDMI to my television. I also have my LG progessive scan, upconversion DVD player hooked up via HDMI to my receiver.

When the LG first powers up I see the splash screen on the television... but then nothing... and only audio. I tried alternating all the video inputs... and it seems like the receiver is trying to read a signal but no video output to the TV.

Anyone have any ideas?

#2-- I seem to be only able to get the front L and R speakers and powered sub to work. When I run the test on the receiver... All speakers fire up in sequence... but when playing Xbox ( or anything really) through component hook up... only the 2 front speakers and the sub fire up. My center channel and the back surround speakers don't work. i have a 5.1 set up. I set up all the speakers as small in the set up menu and still nothing...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Distressed at Christmas
post #23 of 821 Old 12-26-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfwic View Post

Hey gang!

Happy Holidays!

I also only have a few days before the store will accept the receiver back as a return. I am not sure it is working right... or if I am screwing up.

I have my jvc RX-D702B hooked up via HDMI to my television. I also have my LG progessive scan, upconversion DVD player hooked up via HDMI to my receiver.

When the LG first powers up I see the splash screen on the television... but then nothing... and only audio. I tried alternating all the video inputs... and it seems like the receiver is trying to read a signal but no video output to the TV.

Anyone have any ideas?

#2-- I seem to be only able to get the front L and R speakers and powered sub to work. When I run the test on the receiver... All speakers fire up in sequence... but when playing Xbox ( or anything really) through component hook up... only the 2 front speakers and the sub fire up. My center channel and the back surround speakers don't work. i have a 5.1 set up. I set up all the speakers as small in the set up menu and still nothing...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Distressed at Christmas

I would do the following:

First, check to make sure the HDMI connection on the back of the receiver is actually connected to the "DVR/DVD" connection.

Then, turn on both units and press the "DVR/DVD" button on the remote.

Next, slide the cover on the bottom portion of the remote and press the "Video Input" button until it reads "HDMI" on the receiver.

Once you've done this, press the "Audio Input" button until you see "HDMI" on the screen.

Hopefully, this will work. Good luck!
post #24 of 821 Old 12-27-2005, 09:29 PM

Liked: 15
Looking at this unit and have a video question. I want to take advantage of the DCDi processing for SD. I would plan on using component in, setting my 8300HD DVR to pass-through and HDMI out on the receiver. My question is how does the receiver handle 720p/1080i signals from component? Does it not accept them, thus not display anything on the TV? Or will it just pass these through unprocessed?

Thanks
post #25 of 821 Old 12-27-2005, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 View Post

............... As for the HDMI output to the TV, I believe it does not carry an audio signal, the suppostion being you'll want your receiver delivering sound, not the TV...........

Can anyone actually confirm this?

Specifically, if you are connecting a component video signal (say DVD) and its accompanying Digital Audio signal (say Toslink optical), will this reciever upconvert the video signal and also include an audio signal on the HDMI output???

I'm trying to get away with (1)one cable to the TV, which also is the only audio speakers that I'll be using at this time.

Thanks,
post #26 of 821 Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

Looking at this unit and have a video question. I want to take advantage of the DCDi processing for SD. I would plan on using component in, setting my 8300HD DVR to pass-through and HDMI out on the receiver. My question is how does the receiver handle 720p/1080i signals from component? Does it not accept them, thus not display anything on the TV? Or will it just pass these through unprocessed?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, you have the option of passing the signal through from component in to component out or component in to HDMI out.

You actually have the option to convert anything into HDMI out. You can go from composite in to S video/component/HDMI or even S video in to S video/component/HDMI
post #27 of 821 Old 12-27-2005, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsrfr View Post

Can anyone actually confirm this?

Specifically, if you are connecting a component video signal (say DVD) and its accompanying Digital Audio signal (say Toslink optical), will this reciever upconvert the video signal and also include an audio signal on the HDMI output???

I'm trying to get away with (1)one cable to the TV, which also is the only audio speakers that I'll be using at this time.

Thanks,

Only the HDMI video goes into the TV. The HDMI audio is handled by the receiver, which makes sense.
post #28 of 821 Old 12-28-2005, 06:14 AM

Liked: 15
JStew,

Thanks, I would want to do component in to hdmi out but still not sure what the receiver would do when it receives either 720p/1080i from the component source. My guess is that it would not process it like it would a 480i signal (DCDi then convert to 480p) and just pass it through at native signal rate (to HDMI out). I would appreciate anyone that could verify this.
post #29 of 821 Old 12-28-2005, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

JStew,

Thanks, I would want to do component in to hdmi out but still not sure what the receiver would do when it receives either 720p/1080i from the component source. My guess is that it would not process it like it would a 480i signal (DCDi then convert to 480p) and just pass it through at native signal rate (to HDMI out). I would appreciate anyone that could verify this.

The manual is really vague on the video processing. All it says is "this function is applied only when the NTSC analog video signals are transmitted to the receiver." That seems to imply that it only processes a 480i signal. I think your assumption about simply passing through the 720p/1080i signal to HDMI out is probably correct, but the only way to verify that would be calling JVC technical support. Even then, you're likely to get only a vague answer. I'd check it out for you, but I'm STILL waiting for my receiver exchange from JVC (one month and counting).
post #30 of 821 Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfwic View Post

Hey gang!

Happy Holidays!

Anyone have any ideas?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Distressed at Christmas

I am having the same problem. I called JVC and they were of no help except to tell me to unplug the receiver for an hour to "reset" it. The thing that is really strange is that when I turn my projector off the HDMI light comes on the JVC. When I turn the projector back on, the HDMI light goes off. I have sound but no picture. This is particularly distressing to me because I gave this receiver a chance after reading mostly good reviews. I was going to buy a Denon 3805 but figured this was a good risk to take for half the price. I will now call Vanns to see about a replacement or refund. Or maybe I will get lucky and this "reset" will work.

I was looking forward to not having to switch the HDMI outputs between my DVD player and my DirecTV receiver any more but I guess I will have to suffer further unless someone knows some magic that I can't figure out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page