Boo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 12-17-2006, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't understand this message - you think that the Panasonic is going to break/down, damage his speakers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

I give the "Little Beast" one more year before you start to damage the amp section. Hope you don't hurt thoughs great speakers.

post #93 of 105 Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM

After Reading blazar's post around April of 2006 and owning Rotel equipment, I decided on trying the Panasonic. I purchased the Panasonic SA-XR70 and was quite excited to try it out against the Rotel.

My first impressions were good, thinking to myself I have some other equipment that it comes close to that cost more. I think Panasonic did a good job with layout and ease of the product. The tuner works well too. After breaking in, I removed my Rotel RB-1090 and RC-1090 to see how the Panasonic did against it. It's very obvious that the Panasonic cannot create the soundstage depth and full roundness, richness, and airy sound that the Rotel creates. It collapses in and becomes thin sounding compared to the Rotel. It also leans towards the brighter sound.

The Panasonic is impressive with revealing the detail and resolution of the Rotel but it lacks the involvement and intimacy that the Rotel creates, as well as the well rounded and full sound, these are areas the Rotel has over the Panasonic that are very easily heard. I also own the Rotel RB-1080 and RC-1070 on another system and it's much the same difference with that setup as well. The Panasonic sounds flat sounding and less involving compared to the Rotel.

The Panasonic is still impressive, especially when you consider the price. It's a great product for those looking for a bargin price to get you near the high end sound without the high price tag but it definitely doesn't replace a Rotel. There's alot more to it than just hearing the detail. The Panasonic didn't replace my Rotel's. I did keep the Panasonic and use it in an office setup system. I tried both the digital and analog inputs and get same results that lacked in the difference of the Rotel's.

I still like the Panasonic and it's impressive with the level of detail it can reveal, very close to the Rotel. Just thought I would share my experience.

Wishing everyone a great 2007!
post #94 of 105 Old 01-26-2007, 03:21 PM

Onkyo has a new Integrated Amp out now called the Onkyo A-9555 and they are marketing it as high-end sound.

It's by far much better than the Panasonic SA-XR70 that I have. In all areas that the Panasonic falls short, the Onkyo does very well. It doesn't have the volume limitation of the Panasonic either.

The Onkyo A-9555 puts out a lot of power, can fill a large room with sound, sound superb while doing so, very detailed yet smooth with great vocals. The Panasonic tends to be a bit bright at times where the Onkyo doesn't and the Onkyo causes no ear fatigue at all while being smooth and detailed. I'm very impressed with it and it comes much much closer to my Rotel RB-1090 than the Panasonic ever could. Now that's impressive! All for under $600.00 where an analog amp of this sound quality would cost you well over $2000.00 plus $1200.00 and up for the pre-amp! The Onkyo A-9555 gives it all to you in one product for under 600.00
I still can't believe the power and extension this Onkyo can muster out!

Onkyo did a great job on this Integrated Amp! It certainly gives out high-end sound with a very large sound stage that only my most expensive amp can do while being very detailed and very, very clean sounding! Nice! Everything detail is very easy to make out with this amp!
post #95 of 105 Old 01-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Oh yes, The Onkyo A-9555 also is very cool running, very little heat. You can
put your hand on it and it stays cool.

I'm surprised with how hot the Panasonic SA-XR70 gets that not more people
reveal how HOT running the Panasonic runs! They get very HOT in the left center
if there is no fan inside. Panasonic decided to leave the fan off on the XR70
which it should have one! Gets way too HOT! I have to keep a fan on the
Panasonic.
post #96 of 105 Old 01-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocvk View Post

Oh yes, The Onkyo A-9555 also is very cool running, very little heat. You can
put your hand on it and it stays cool.

I'm surprised with how hot the Panasonic SA-XR70 gets that not more people
reveal how HOT running the Panasonic runs! They get very HOT in the left center
if there is no fan inside. Panasonic decided to leave the fan off on the XR70
which it should have one! Gets way too HOT! I have to keep a fan on the
Panasonic.

What kind of speakers do you have ? The Panasonic without some tweaks is not going to fight with the Rotel. I bi-amp, high-efficiency speakers (Silverline Sonatina), with after-market power cords and balanced power conditioners good rack with vibrapod footers etc. It never gets hot or does it sound harsh. But I still think, if I bought an Integrated amp for > $1K and a $1K DAC, I will get better sound. Till then I am enjoying my all-digital setup (with Squeezebox), with its nimble bass, very good detail and dynamics. Soundstage and 'warmth/harmonic richness' is one area that may not be that great.
post #97 of 105 Old 01-26-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I was surprised to find how hot the xr55 runs as well. Softwire, which of your tweaks would you say accounts for your lack of heat output? And, was it running hot even before you applied any of your adaptations?

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #98 of 105 Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think when people say it is "not hot" its in comparison to some traditional analog receivers. I had a Yamaha that seemed like I could fry an egg on it, and the XR runs way cooler than that. You still won't want to put your hands on it for any length of time though

Boo!
post #99 of 105 Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi SoftwireEngineer, My speakers are 102dB sensitive and 8 Ohms. They are very efficient but the Panasonic gets very hot left center, even if you leave the unit on with no speakers connected. I've talked to Panasonic tech support and he said it will run hot without a fan. He said the SA-XR57 has a new heat sink cross-bar to help out with that problem but I haven't tried the 57 model to confirm that.

The Panasonic runs much hotter than my Rotel analogs! The Rotels stay cool running and only sometimes hardly even warm to the touch, but these are 2-channel Rotel's not multichannel, as usually multichannel can run warmer. I was just very surprised how hot the Panasonic digital amp runs with all the advertised "no heat" marketing that digital amps get.

Anyway, don't take me wrong. The Panasonic is a very good sounding product, especially for it's price, enough for me to keep mine. I still like it. Panasonic did a good job. I was just surprised how close the Onkyo A-9555 comes in sound to the Rotel, but it still doesn't replace a Rotel, just much more so than the Panasonic. Digital still has the problem with not being able to give the round-airiness that some of the best analogs can give but I'm sure they will figure out how to in time, but that's been the big debate between the analog vs digital for quite some time now.

I think SiriuslyCold makes a good point, if someone is used to having such an amp as cooking an egg on it from how hot, then to those, the Panasonic might seem like it doesn't get as hot. I just don't like when poor designs allow for such heat build-up that doesn't have to be, it shortens component life. The problem is solved with the Panasonic with allowing a small fan keep it cool, then it runs very cool without any heat build up. So now my Panasonic does run very cool with using the fan. Enjoy!
post #100 of 105 Old 02-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Excellent review! Ive been doing some experimenting with pro amps out in my game room. Ive been thinking of bringing in my Crown and trying it on my 803Ds. I think the reason I havent yet was I dont want to know it sounds as good as my CA 301. i agree if you push your system hard, you will have problems as I cooked a brand new RXV2500 in about 20 min pushing the 803Ds abit too hard. This the reason Ive been so slow to pick an amp to drive the HTM2D I have coming, I was talking to a dealer the other day and he gave me the " 8 ohms easy to drive story" I beg to differ if you tend to turn it up from time to time

Thanks again!
post #101 of 105 Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Hello,

I have the infamous SA XR55 and am running it in dual amp mode driving transmission lines with Jordan JX92s. I like the sound despite the critics and I have other gear costing much more that I don't listen to anymore. I was curious if anyone could outline the mods I hear about but can find no references to. The more specific the better. Thanks.

tea
post #102 of 105 Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea-head View Post

Hello,

I have the infamous SA XR55 and am running it in dual amp mode driving transmission lines with Jordan JX92s. I like the sound despite the critics and I have other gear costing much more that I don't listen to anymore. I was curious if anyone could outline the mods I hear about but can find no references to. The more specific the better. Thanks.

tea

You can try some of the things I have done to my XR45 http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=13996.0 I have seen the schematics of the XR55 and it is very similar to the XR45. The XR55 has a simplier power supply scheme as well as a simplier DSP section.

Mike
post #103 of 105 Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Mike,
Would you like to mod a Panny for me ? I am running a XR55, but I can buy a XR57 or XR700 for the mod. I can compensate you for your time.
I think whatever you did makes complete sense.
I believe the future of amplification is the Panny's architecture.
post #104 of 105 Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, Folks, if you really dont want to mess with the inside of the Panny, the best thing you can do is to get a IEC power cord adapter for $15 and use any aftermarket power cords. I use a VHAudio Flavor 2 cords, costs about a $100 or so I think. The Panny should also be placed on a vibration free shelf. Four footer is the range for $4 or 5 would do the trick. I use vibrapods for this.
I also strongly recomment a good Glass toslink under $30 or $40 I think.
(and no flames on powercords please, if you dont think it makes a difference, please ignore my suggestion).
post #105 of 105 Old 11-02-2008, 04:47 PM

I recently picked up a set of Paradigm Studio 60 v3, CC-570 center, and Studio 20 rears, and I ABed my XR55 against my Anthem AVM30 + Statement A2 amplifier.

The Panny does sound excellent during lower volumes consider it price. However, the Anthem combo was much more smooth, the vocals were more clear, and the soundstage was more realistic than the Panny. In addition, the bass control is much better with the Anthem. The upper region of mid bass sound muddy and uncontrolled on the XF55.

Finally, at higher volumes (much louder than I normally listen to), the Panny sounds much more compressed than the Anthem.

Given the price, the Panny sounded excellent, but there is definitely better components out there for much more money. In my case, I'm seriously considering if it's worth while to upgrade to a 5 channel amp or just keep the XR55.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page