Official Yamaha RX-V1600 & 2600 thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2656 Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=julesj] The sats are ok. I though they would sound bigger, fuller?? Being the anal prick that I am, I noticed that I have to turn the volume past mid level (judging from the volume graph displayed on the screen) to around -24db and beyond in order to get these speakers to sound loud. I haven't played around with any of the parameters after the YPAO setup.
Does anyone with a similar setup (2600 and Orbs) care to elaborate on my findings? I know all of this is subjective. What I consider "not loud" might be loud enough for somebody else, but the speakers do really sound low below mid volume levels.

I am not an AV expert, but I think that is a matter of taste. I, like you, really like to hear the sound coming from the surround speakers. However, I believe the intent is for them to blend into the background and just create a realistic sound when needed (usually barely audible). You should be able to customize the sound field to increase the volume on those speakers. I have a much older Yamaha (almost 10 years old now and I have moved 5 times with the military--did I mention how durable these things are?) and I have cranked up the volume on my rear speakers with that system to get the sound that I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2656 Old 12-27-2005, 03:02 PM

I found this board while researching the RXV2600. I have decided on the 2600 (Pioneer VSX-72TXV was second choice). I'm in the metro Atlanta Ga. area and need a lead on who carries the 2600 locally. Also would you guys recommend some quality online retailers.
post #453 of 2656 Old 12-27-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHohn View Post

Same issue with XBox blanking the screen randomly only with Sanyo Z4 projector and V2600. Please post any resolution you might come up with.

Bought HD cable set for Xbox today, issue resolved. HD cable uses component video insted of s-video.
post #454 of 2656 Old 12-27-2005, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone tell me about how long the wire is for the YPAO mic? My components are in a dedicated room that is separate from my theater, so I really need around 15 feet of wire to place the mic in the ideal location.

Thanks!
post #455 of 2656 Old 12-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post

Can anyone tell me about how long the wire is for the YPAO mic? My components are in a dedicated room that is separate from my theater, so I really need around 15 feet of wire to place the mic in the ideal location.

Thanks!

It's pretty long. Probably long enough for your needs, but if it's not, it's a standard mini phono-plug so you could get an extention for it from radio shack.

Optoma H79
Stewart 110" Studiotek 130
Yamaha RX-V2600
7.1 - Polk LC265i
Samsung DVD-HD850
Motorola DCT6412
LG OTA HD Tuner
post #456 of 2656 Old 12-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger519 View Post

I found this board while researching the RXV2600. I have decided on the 2600 (Pioneer VSX-72TXV was second choice). I'm in the metro Atlanta Ga. area and need a lead on who carries the 2600 locally. Also would you guys recommend some quality online retailers.

Ranger,

I bought one recently from Hi-Fi Buys - there are several locations. Didn't see any of these "higher-end" Yamaha Receiver at Circuit City, Best Buy or even Frye's.

You can also check out here:

Yamaha Dealer Locater

I've had it for a little over a week and like it. Enjoy.

-Travis

Sony KDSR-60XBR1 SXRD
DirecTV HD Receiver
Yamaha RX-V2600
Polk Audio - RTi10's, CSi5, PSW404, FSi3's
Denon 1920 DVD Player
Monster & Belkin - various cables, surge protectors, etc.
post #457 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 AM

Hi all.. I picked up the 2600 today after talking to our local sales guy at Ken Cranes (LA area) pointing out why I wouldn't like Denon AVR3806 and so far so good.. Anyway, I've got M&K LCR 850 speakers that are all 4 ohm (fronts and center anyway which is all I currently have), but the 2600 doesn't have a setting for 4 ohm that I'm aware of. For now, I've got them set to 6 ohm in the receiver settings. Should I be looking to add something to my speakers to bring them up by 2 ohms to match what the receiver is looking for or is there some way to get the receiver to acknowledge the 4 ohm speakers? I've still got to finish going through the manual, but didn't see anything right off the bat.
post #458 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 12:03 PM

Excuse me if I am posting incorrectly. I just discovered this forum while researching the difference between the 5990 and the 1600. I want to get the best receiver for the best value to upgrade my current system. I usually research enough to deal intelligently with salespeople but am not a HT person. After reading as much as possible on this forum and getting a little confused, I was hoping to get some advice before jumping. I had made up my mind to buy the 5890 just as the 5990 came out. I have a Sony 40" direct view TV with a Dish 921 HD receiver with a DVI connection that has fantastic PQ for HD and SD. I also have a Sony Progressive Scan DVD player/recorder hooked up through a separate component input. The receiver is an older Pioneer with only ProLogic audio. The features that would be the most important to upgrade would be 1)Ease of use for my wife. One remote without having to change inputs. 2)Would any of the receivers upgrade the DVD picture? The player/recorder has component output and has to have HD converted to 480 to record to a DVD directly from the Dish receiver. 3)Digital audio. I don't have a room configuration that makes spending a lot of money if not worthwhile but I have always liked Yamaha and I still like a direct tube picture since the room is an open ended family room off the kitchen. It is not dark and the TV can be watched from the kitchen as well as from the sectional with rear speakers on stands behind it. Any input would be appreciated and I apologize if this is not appropiate or technical enough for this forum. It does look like a great source of information. Would there be any extra features to make either the 1600 or the 2600 the better choice?
post #459 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 01:38 PM

Hi,
is it possible to force the size of some speakers and still run autosetup on others?

My system put all speakers large - and at least center should be small IMHO.
Also crossover frequency became 40 Hz when mains are large, which is very low IMHO. I do belive my SVS PB10-ISD could do more.

Any help appriciated

Criticism is just optimism looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. -
Yin26 (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #460 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post

Hi all.. I picked up the 2600 today after talking to our local sales guy at Ken Cranes (LA area) pointing out why I wouldn't like Denon AVR3806 and so far so good.. Anyway, I've got M&K LCR 850 speakers that are all 4 ohm (fronts and center anyway which is all I currently have), but the 2600 doesn't have a setting for 4 ohm that I'm aware of. For now, I've got them set to 6 ohm in the receiver settings. Should I be looking to add something to my speakers to bring them up by 2 ohms to match what the receiver is looking for or is there some way to get the receiver to acknowledge the 4 ohm speakers? I've still got to finish going through the manual, but didn't see anything right off the bat.

You should reset your 2600 to 8 ohms. The 6 ohm setting limits the output.

Optoma H79
Yamaha RX-V2600
7.1 - Polk LC265i
Samsung DVD-HD850
Motorola DCT6412
LG OTA HD Tuner
post #461 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

is it possible to force the size of some speakers and still run autosetup on others?

Kind of. You can do two things
1. After running the auto setup, go into the manual setup and put the speaker sizes and crossover frequency where you like it. You will lose your YPAO red indicator on the face of the Yamaha since you messed with the settings after it auto calibrated.

2. In the auto setup, tell it to skip the speaker size check (you can also tell the receiver to skip other steps). With speaker size skipped, the unit will auto calibrate with the speaker size settings you gave it in manual setup. All other settings will auto calibrate (all speakers will EQ). This is what I do since I don't agree with the Yamaha that my center channel is large enough to handle the bass...at least at the volumes I listen.

Of course you have to force the size on all the speakers with the number two option, but you know what your speakers can handle. I run 80Hz or 60Hz for my crossover. Your SVS sub is just yurning for some bass info to shake it up with !

Matt
post #462 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqualls View Post

Wakefield....I run component out from a HD cable box(Moto 6412) and output from the 2600 thru HDMI and the picture is great....also run a Sony upconverting DVD player HDMI all the way to the display...also a great picture IMO....John

This is a very signifigant post for me and would like to request some feedback from either John or anyone else running this config.

To avoid the HDCP issue, I'll run component cables from my Moto 6412 to a 2600 then use HDMI to a Panny 50" Plasma.

I understand from a colleague that running Standard Def content through the component outs from a Moto 6412 looks terrible. This is due to the bad upconversion process used in the 6412. However, when my colleague runs SD content direct from the 6412 to his plasma using an SVideo cable, he reports a much improved picture and clarity. So much sio that he maintains 2 connections from his 6412. Svideo for SD content and component cables for HD content.

This is very important since most of the programming available is still offered in SD.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon. I'm very close to buying a 2600 and would love to know if the upscaling features in the 2600 compensate for the bad Standard Def quality when running Standard Def content from a Moto 6412 through component video cables.

Thanks!!
post #463 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood2395 View Post

You should reset your 2600 to 8 ohms. The 6 ohm setting limits the output.

Wood2395 --

I guess I dont quite follow the reasoning, but I'm certainly no speaker impedance expert.. I don't suppose you could explain why? TIA!
post #464 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 08:32 PM

Very useful thread. I want the RX-V1600... and your opinions ...

My Current Equipment:
Panasonic AE-900U projector
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR (TimeWarner Cable)
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
XboX with Component Cable

PROJECTOR
The projector is native 720p. It got great reviews for its proprietary scaling and deinterlacing. It has one HDMI input which I use for the Oppo DVD player, since the Oppo must use DVI to display 720p and better. I use a DVI-HDMI adapter on the projector's HDMI port, and it works great this way.

DVR
The Scientific Atlanta DVR/Cable box outputs a 1080/60i signal over component cables whether the channel is HD or not. HiDef cable looks outrageously good, and standard channels look extremely sharp and clear. It doesn't appear that my cable box needs help scaling. I don't have an HDMI-HDMI cable to try its HDMI output.

XBOX
I bought an Xbox component cable (50 stinkin bucks) and I was a little disappointed at first, until I remembered to use the Xbox control panel to enable 480p. You can do the same for 720p and 1080i, but none of my games went higher than 480p. Progressive scan makes a big difference, and the projector did a superb job of scaling the 480p up to 720p. Diagonals aren't perfectly smooth but c'mon, it's a ten foot screen.

BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY
I tried my older Samsung non-progressive scan DVD player, and it looks great plugged in with component cables. You really have to look closely to see the difference between the Oppo's native 720p and the way the projector upscales the 480i Samsung image. Composite input is less enjoyable because the flaws and inadequacies are rendered in such exquisite detail. S-Video is a little better but I only use it for my laptop.

TIME FOR A CHANGE
I'm using my 30+ year old Yamaha receiver and speakers, and they sound really good, but having completely separate audio and video systems is clumsy and tiresome, especially when they audio system doesn't have remote control. I visited a local Yamaha dealer and they don't carry the 1600. They offered to order it, but they tried to convince me that the lack of upscaling made it an inferior choice. I don't think they were upselling, but I also didn't think their concerns apply to me. Given the quality of my input sources, and the performance of the projector with various input types, I don't see any reason to pay hundreds of dollars extra to get the 2600 for its scaler. Opinions ?

Thanks for reading this huge post. I'll save my
post #465 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 PM

So the RX-V1600 is probably my best choice for the video reasons I mentioned above, but there's another issue. I really want Magnepan speakers. In college one of my more fortunate housemates had an incredibly awesome setup with the large Magneplanar panels, and I've never heard anything like it before or since.

Now calm down, I don't need the big guns. In fact, I just heard a friend's awesome entry level panels, available direct from Magnepan. I'd want two pairs of MMGW's ($300/pr) and the MMGC center ($300). Electrostatic nirvana for under $1000 bucks ?

One of the barriers to panels is their typically huge power requirements, but he was using a Pioneer surround receiver with lower rated power than the RX-V1600 to push all five of these beauties, and it sounded really great. Sure, a subwoofer is a must, but it just so happens I have the SVS 20-39Pci on order, so I've got that bass covered and then some.

The real question is how will the 1600 hold up driving those thirsty thirsty 4 ohm panels ? If it already runs hot at 8 ohms, how do you think it will fare pushing these sluggish boys to their potential ? Tasty or toasty ?

Is this a reasonable possibility, or am I dreaming ? If you don't think the 1600 will handle them, what receiver do you think is up to the task ?
post #466 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been reading about SqeezeBox and XBox and would like to work my PC (30 ft away) into my HT.

Does anyone know a means of getting audio/video/images from my remote PC to the RX-V1600 and then onto my screen other than doing a long cable run?

Do those D-Link and other WiFi Media products work?

From what I've read, these Yamaha receivers have good DAC's and video is pretty simple to pass through the HDMI or Component connections.

Van G

Carl Spackler: "The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."
post #467 of 2656 Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post

Wood2395 --

I guess I dont quite follow the reasoning, but I'm certainly no speaker impedance expert.. I don't suppose you could explain why? TIA!

As per the Audioholics review/test of the RX-V2400 http://www.audioholics.com/productre...ceiver-p2.html

"I was pleased to find no impedance selector switch on the back panel common to all Yamaha A/V receivers I have seen in the past. However, my satisfaction quickly diminished when in revealed itself in the user menus.

Impedance Selector Switch

I recommend the "Minimum 8 ohms" setting even for 4 ohm speakers of moderate efficiency (>89dB SPL). Yamaha includes a" 6 ohm" setting to satisfy UL as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which can limit dynamics and overall fidelity. My advice is to keep the switch set to "Minimum 8 ohms" regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver."
post #468 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 AM

During auto setup the 2600 set my front bookshelf speakers to lrg and my subwoofer crossover to 100. I always thought all the speakers should be set to small and the crossover to 80. I have a Martin Logan Grotto sub and Boston Acoustics VRM 50 fronts. Does anyone have suggestions?
post #469 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 AM

Override the autosetup with the settings you stated.

Optoma H79
Yamaha RX-V2600
7.1 - Polk LC265i
Samsung DVD-HD850
Motorola DCT6412
LG OTA HD Tuner
post #470 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM

A lot of discussion going on about HDMI, upconversion, upscaling, etc. However I haven't seen much describing the sound of the new Yamahas.
Is there any significant improvement in the sound of the RX-V2600 vs, let's say, an RX-V1500? Audioholics gave it(RX-V2600) a ''Product of the Year'' award. Does that mean it sounds better than every other receiver in it's price range or is it just more feature laden?
post #471 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 PM

I recently purchased the V2600. I love it except it seems to run hot and then turn itself off. Every night this week it has turned itself off after being on for about 3 hours. I DO NOT have it on very load and I am running 4 bose cubes and the bose subwoofer. I set the internal fan to always stay on and it still shuts down. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't know if I should return it or run new speaker wires or what. PLEASE HELP

Besides turning off, I love it. The sound is amazining even with my cheap Bose speakers (Soon to be upgraded). I run my SA DVR into the Receiver using Component and then HDMI to the Pioneer Plasma 5040HD. The picture is the exact same as it was when I ran the HDMI straight out of the DVR to the TV (IT IS BEAUTIFUL). It have noticed that the regualar channels are coming in noticably clearer, however, I can't tell if the receiver is actually upscaling the video. When I go to the setup menu it looks like the signal is analog 1080i to HDMI 1080i and it does not allow me to change the upscaling settings (they are greyed out).

It does allow me to upconvert / upscale my DVD image also connected via component cables.

The set was very easy and it is also very easy to manually change the setup.

I hope someone in this forum can help me with the overheating issue, I would hate to have to return it.

Thanks...
post #472 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM

Also, while doing the automatic configuration with the microphone, I keep getting an error message that says W4 SP mismatch. I looked it up in the manual and it says the wiring results are incompatiable with the current user settings.

What does that mean and how can I fix it. The wiring seems pretty simple when you only have 4 bose speakers.

Please help...

Thanks!
post #473 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD44 View Post

I recently purchased the V2600. I love it except it seems to run hot and then turn itself off. Every night this week it has turned itself off after being on for about 3 hours. I DO NOT have it on very load and I am running 4 bose cubes and the bose subwoofer. I set the internal fan to always stay on and it still shuts down. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't know if I should return it or run new speaker wires or what. PLEASE HELP

Sorry I don't have any real advice except as a data point. I have the V2600 out in the open and it doesn't really get all that hot. I've never heard the fan come on and just to make sure it was working I turned it on via the advanced settings (I changed back to Auto Mode). I'm running 5.1 with Klipsch speakers.

I was checking out the difference between Dolby and DTS today and was running it -5db and 0db (ie - very loud). Again the top of the cabinet was definitely warm but not hot hot.
BTW: DTS sounds so much better....
post #474 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 PM

Speedybird, are you also using the v2600 to run your HDMI out to the t.v.? I am wondering if it is more the video that is making it hot vs the audio. FYI... the receiver is not really that hot when it turns off. Also, earlier it turned off while I did not have audio on at all, i was merely adjusting the settings via the t.v. and it turned off.

I would be curious to know if you use it for both your audio and video.

Thanks...
post #475 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

V2600 Overheats... and turns off HELP!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides turning off, I love it. The sound is amazining even with my cheap Bose speakers (Soon to be upgraded). I run my SA DVR into the Receiver using Component and then HDMI to the Pioneer Plasma 5040HD. The picture is the exact same as it was when I ran the HDMI straight out of the DVR to the TV (IT IS BEAUTIFUL). It have noticed that the regualar channels are coming in noticably clearer, however, I can't tell if the receiver is actually upscaling the video. When I go to the setup menu it looks like the signal is analog 1080i to HDMI 1080i and it does not allow me to change the upscaling settings (they are greyed out).

It does allow me to upconvert / upscale my DVD image also connected via component cables.

The set was very easy and it is also very easy to manually change the setup.

I hope someone in this forum can help me with the overheating issue, I would hate to have to return it.

Thanks...

MY guess is it's the speakers, you need better speakers. Also Bose is known for using very odd resistance like 2 ohm and that might overheat the receiver.
post #476 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD44 View Post

Speedybird, are you also using the v2600 to run your HDMI out to the t.v.? I am wondering if it is more the video that is making it hot vs the audio. FYI... the receiver is not really that hot when it turns off. Also, earlier it turned off while I did not have audio on at all, i was merely adjusting the settings via the t.v. and it turned off.

I would be curious to know if you use it for both your audio and video.

Thanks...

Yes, all video goes through the 2600. I have HDMI and component cables hooked up to a 50" Panasonic Plasma (8UK). The reason I'm running both is so on SD channels I can adjust the aspect ratio. The plasma won't let me adjust aspect on HDMI, just component.
I gave up trying to hook up my Comcast DVR 6412 via HDMI. Too many issues.
post #477 of 2656 Old 12-30-2005, 10:46 PM

I've been following this thread with interest as I have always been a Yammy receiver advocate. My "vintage" HTS has served me well, but is in need of a refresh. I have a NEC 50XR5A Plasma on order (with 2 HDMI and 2 component inputs). The other pieces include a Yammy 5450 5.1 and Panny RP82 Progressive DVD (component and optical out), with NHT VT1 towers, middle, bipolars, and powered sub.

I don't believe I would benefit from the 2600 HDMI switching, except perhaps needing only one remote, and suspect the NEC upscaler will be more capable than that in the 2600 or any other receiver. My plan is to resubscribe to D* so the H20 would tie up one of the HDMI inputs, leaving one open to future upgrade (blue ray?).

I'm very satisfied with the 5450 5.1/NHT audio. Would you guys see a need to upgrade the receiver?...something I haven't considered? Would there be an improvement in D* SD PQ using the 2600?
post #478 of 2656 Old 12-31-2005, 11:38 AM

I'm just about ready to take the plunge on the V2600, Aperion speakers and one of the large 1080P rear projection sets. I have Direct TV and hope to get one of the HD DVD players whenever they get everything resolved.

I understand from this thread that when connecting a source to the V2600 via HDMI the signal is simply passed through. Does anyone know if it'll pass through 1080P signal from the HD DVD players? The current HP sets accept 1080P through their HDMI input, but if the receiver can't pass it through it may effect what I purchase.

Thanks for any help.
post #479 of 2656 Old 12-31-2005, 11:46 AM

One thing I find kind of strange is the internal fan. If I choose to let the fan come on automatically, it never turns on, it just shuts down the receiver. If I choose to set the fan to be on continuosly, it still gets too hot and shuts down.

Very frustrating to say the least. I guess I will need to replace it with another one to see if the problem persists.

Thanks,
post #480 of 2656 Old 12-31-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoard1 View Post

I'm just about ready to take the plunge on the V2600, Aperion speakers and one of the large 1080P rear projection sets. I have Direct TV and hope to get one of the HD DVD players whenever they get everything resolved.

I understand from this thread that when connecting a source to the V2600 via HDMI the signal is simply passed through. Does anyone know if it'll pass through 1080P signal from the HD DVD players? The current HP sets accept 1080P through their HDMI input, but if the receiver can't pass it through it may effect what I purchase.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know for sure, but I believe it should pass 1080p through without any problems.

Optoma H79
Yamaha RX-V2600
7.1 - Polk LC265i
Samsung DVD-HD850
Motorola DCT6412
LG OTA HD Tuner
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page