Official Yamaha RX-V1600 & 2600 thread - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Official Yamaha RX-V1600 & 2600 thread
VisionxOrb's Avatar VisionxOrb 05:12 PM 11-10-2005
I didnt see on and since these are now avalible ( although limited ) I figure its time to start one.

For those who have the 2600, has anyone tried the scaling? if so how is it?

renpar61's Avatar renpar61 07:07 PM 11-10-2005
Good call.
I am curious too, since I am looking to buy a 1600 or 2600 myself. I'd like to know how each one would handle the signal from a Motorola 6412 STB via component and outputting via HDMI: would it automatically scale 480i material to 1080i and pass through 1080i from HD channels untouched?
onstar's Avatar onstar 07:28 PM 11-10-2005
I don't think the 2600 is available yet.
ekun's Avatar ekun 07:38 PM 11-10-2005
The 2600 is not even available in Japan yet... Anxiously awaiting it's arrival, however.
MaximumBob's Avatar MaximumBob 08:03 PM 11-10-2005
slowine just got one. I'm considering buying one, however, I have Klipsch speakers all around and was worried that the Yamaha receivers would make them too bright. I've heard that the new receivers have a warmer sound. Is this true?
HDPackfan's Avatar HDPackfan 09:42 PM 11-10-2005
I picked mine up from the Tweeter warehouse this past Saturday and it was in my local Tweeter as of yesterday. so far I'm loving it....much better sound and, way more powerful than my HTR 5790 (which I really liked), and it even runs cooler. The upscaling works ok...my SD picture is probably about 20 to 30% better than with the Samsung Plasma doing the scaling. I'm not sure it would change much with a TV that has a better scaler though.

And Maximum I also have Klipsch all around...3 SLX's up front and 5800 wall/ceiling speakers in back with a Mirage S10 sub. I like the sound alot as the system is really really loud with the additional power from the receiver and the high sensitivity of the Klipsch speakers. But, to be honest I know nothing about sound or music---I couldn't tell bright from warm from ice cold. I just like my room to shake when I watch a movie.

Edit: The one I picked up from the warehouse, wouldn't upscale. I exchanged it at Tweeter today for a different 2600 and now I can finally upscale.
Speedybird's Avatar Speedybird 11:08 PM 11-10-2005
HDPackfan - you wouldn't happen to be Packk01 over on Audioholics forum? I'm guessing so since the names are similiar and it sounds like the same issue posted over there.
As one of the earlybirds any additional info / comments are always appreciated.

I hope to pick up my 2600 in a day or two. I've been holding out for their release.

I still have my college junk from 15+ yrs ago and figure it was time for an upgrade. I'm planning on picking up a Panny 8UK at the same time. I've been wishy washy on the speakers but have narrowed the field to Klipsch Reference series. RVX-54 / RVX-42 / RW12 / surrounds.

Seems to be a lot of passion on the forums regarding speakers and the basic lesson I've taken is go listen and buy what you like. Unfortunately, only one shop in town carries the 2600 so options are limited.

I've been out of the loop for so long with respect to the technology it has been a fun learning experience. These forums are awesome to gather information and learn from.

Enjoy
GlocksRock's Avatar GlocksRock 11:31 PM 11-10-2005
I just got my 1600 up and running a few hours ago, I still have to read the manual to figure out some little stuff, and do some tweaking, but so far I'm really liking it. I'm very glad I waited to get this instead of getting a HTR-5990.
VisionxOrb's Avatar VisionxOrb 12:09 AM 11-11-2005
the only scaling i have is from my 2003 model hitachi 50v500, if the scaler is better than your plasma the hopefully its better than the one in my tv.
HDPackfan's Avatar HDPackfan 12:37 AM 11-11-2005
I bugged the guys at my local Tweeter about this receiver so much that they let me pick it up at the warehouse the day they came in. I had gotten so sick of the SD scaling from my HD box and it seemed like such a good deal not having to buy a separate scaler and receiver. As I said I am very happy with the receiver now that I have one that actually does the scaling...even my wife noticed the difference in SD quality. As far as sound, I really don't know any of the nuances but I've wanted a kick ass receiver and sub so that I can feel the kick when the movie is playing. This receiver does it for me.

To be honest I don't know if it will make that much of a difference to those with excellent scalers in their TV's. I have last years Samsung Plasma and it doesn't do a great job with SD...although to my eye it gives a great HD picture.

One thing I might add is that the 2600 does not upscale HDMI input to HDMI output. It will only upscale an analog signal that has NOT already been upscaled. As an example, it won't upscale a digital signal from an upscaling DVD player that is already sending an upscaled signal.
HDPackfan's Avatar HDPackfan 12:49 AM 11-11-2005
In reading all of the posts here, there sounds like there are great speakers out there. I like the Klipsch because of their high sensitivity so they play loud with less juice. My wife is understanding about my recent spending spree as long as the speakers are heard but not seen. The 5800's are loud and seem to have a good clean sound and the price at the Goodguys closeout sale were too good to pass up. I listened to the RVX54's at Goodguys and they sounded awesome but they did not meet the heard but not seen requirement so I settled for the 3 synergy SLX's for the 2 fronts and center. Not a perfect match with the reference in wall/ceiling back surrounds but I wouldn't know the difference if they were totally mismatched so I guess it is sometimes good to be tone deaf.
renpar61's Avatar renpar61 06:20 AM 11-11-2005
Has anyone tried the 2600 (or1600) to output with a HDMI to DVI cable? Would this work?
Also, do they output the on screen guide through HDMI?
matt_he's Avatar matt_he 09:42 AM 11-11-2005
I'm still debating between the htr-5990 and the rxv-2600, because it doesn't look like the latter is available in my city. Looks to me like the only difference is the upscaling. If I have a dvd player that upscales, do I need this feature? Does upscaling help regular tv? I'm going to get a Sony DVD changer and I plan on running it and my comcast box and through the receiver, and running 1 hdmi cable to my Vizio plasma.

If I do decide to get the 2600, any suggestions as to a good online source? I see AV Perfection has it at a good price, is anyone familiar with this outfit?

Any advice would be appreciated.
DeepFreeze451's Avatar DeepFreeze451 10:35 AM 11-11-2005
updates? hows theamp output?
Wood2395's Avatar Wood2395 10:57 AM 11-11-2005
Just saw the 2600 today at a dealer. They also carry Denon but didn't have a 3806 set up to do a direct comparison. I must say, the 2600 is 100 times sexier looking. It sounds great, seems to have better features, and of course, the presence outputs, which are intruiging. I'm definitely leaning this way over the 3806, especially with all the HDMI switching problems reported with the Denon.
malbo1's Avatar malbo1 02:46 PM 11-11-2005
A question for anyone with the 2600. Do you have any trouble passing HDCP through the 2600 using HDMI ports?

I am specifically conserned about DVI on STB to HDMI on 2600 the passing that to HDMI (2600) to HDMI on TV.

I have heard of others with HDCP issues when using an A/V reciever.
renpar61's Avatar renpar61 06:52 PM 11-11-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbo1 View Post

A question for anyone with the 2600. Do you have any trouble passing HDCP through the 2600 using HDMI ports?

I am specifically conserned about DVI on STB to HDMI on 2600 the passing that to HDMI (2600) to HDMI on TV.

I have heard of others with HDCP issues when using an A/V reciever.

This was my question also, I've heard of issues with both the Denon and the Pioneer. I also read that the upscaling occurs only when the incoming signal is analog, but I'm not sure if this is true for the 2600 as well. In that case the STB should be connected through component to use the feature. Can anyone confirm?
HDPackfan's Avatar HDPackfan 07:43 PM 11-11-2005
I haven't had any problem passing through from the DVI port on my Moxi HD DVR to the Receiver and out of the receiver from HDMI to the TV...although it sometimes says HDCP error on the front of the receiver. It only seems to be a problem (ie the error message) when I start from a component source to the receiver and out of the receiver from component to the TV. It is fixed just by going to a digital input and then back to the component input. Regardless the picture and sound are not effected at all even though the error shows up. This is explained in the manual but it doesn't effect the picture on the TV at all.

Just so you know though it does not appear you can upscale digital information, just analog. I am still learning to work this thing but that is my understanding from the manual and from playing with the receiver.
HDPackfan's Avatar HDPackfan 07:44 PM 11-11-2005
I do have to say one thing, my wife and daughter are out and I am cranking Credence Clearwater Revival through the "pure direct" and I AM JUST LOVING this receiver.
mv2005's Avatar mv2005 07:47 PM 11-11-2005
Hi,

Per Yamaha's website:

RX-V1600 has
"Fully Analog Video Up-Conversion including onto HDMI, De-Interlacing (480i to 480p)".
RX-V2600 has
"Fully Analog Video Up-Conversion, including onto HDMI, De-Interlacing and Up-Scaling to 1080i/720p"

I understand "de-interlacing 480i to 480p". What is the difference between Up-Conversion and Up-Scaling ? They both seem to have Up-Conversion !

Thanks
Murali
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 08:23 PM 11-11-2005
The 1600 will take 480i to 480p, the 2600 will take 480i to 480p/720p/1080i
jwv651's Avatar jwv651 09:10 PM 11-11-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPackfan View Post

I do have to say one thing, my wife and daughter are out and I am cranking Credence Clearwater Revival through the "pure direct" and I AM JUST LOVING this receiver.

I wish I were there
Sgt_Strider's Avatar Sgt_Strider 09:23 PM 11-11-2005
What's the MSRP for the RX-V1600 and 2600?
Speedybird's Avatar Speedybird 10:52 PM 11-11-2005
Alrighty then...I picked up a RX-V2600 tonight but Plasma not due for a week...speakers not due for a week....

so I went ahead and hooked up my old speakers just to give it a listen.

Press Master On/Off button and I hear click-click.
Press Main Zone On/Off button and I hear click-click.

nothing else
I must say, very anti-climatic.

maybe a new 2600 will be available in.......a week?
-Toby-'s Avatar -Toby- 11:25 PM 11-11-2005
Manuals are now online too at the Yamaha site

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/m...an_av_rcvr.htm
Llanowar's Avatar Llanowar 02:14 AM 11-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedybird View Post

Alrighty then...I picked up a RX-V2600 tonight but Plasma not due for a week...speakers not due for a week....

so I went ahead and hooked up my old speakers just to give it a listen.

Press Master On/Off button and I hear click-click.
Press Main Zone On/Off button and I hear click-click.

nothing else
I must say, very anti-climatic.

maybe a new 2600 will be available in.......a week?

Too bad, doesn't sound like yamaha, they are one of the most reliable companies around :P
ntjbjhq's Avatar ntjbjhq 06:32 AM 11-12-2005
Also bought at tweeter (picked up from the warehouse where they have 120 in stock as of yesterday, in atlanta anyways).

What would you all recommend for some decent small speakers? I used to have the energy take 5 system, LOVED it, but the kids ended up killing them by cranking the volume to 100 on my old receiver and blowing several drivers before I could get to it and turn it down . Does anyone know if they will repair these speakers? Any ideas on cost and if its worth the price of a repair or not?

I'd like to stay small, but want a big sound. My current onkyo speakers came with an HTIB (I know, but thats all I could afford at the time). They sound too bright and harsh, need something with some decent response, and hopefully a warm sound.

Look forward to any ideas you might have!

Oh, and the 2600 rocks! I returned a Denon AVR3806 to get the Yamaha due to the fact that it will not allow me to use the HDMI port because my TV won't take 480i in on the HDMI port. I think the yamaha sounds just as good, if not better, but had limited time, and don't have the proper speakers to really do a good test. I'm fully happy with the 2600 though (but hated to give up the denon because I've wanted one for 5 years).

Anyways, I'll stop rambling.

Thanks in advance!

Robert
renpar61's Avatar renpar61 06:32 AM 11-12-2005
HDPackFan,
any problem with on screen guide through HDMI?
ntjbjhq's Avatar ntjbjhq 07:04 AM 11-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post

HDPackFan,
any problem with on screen guide through HDMI?

None, works great, which is another reason I returned the denon, it would not display via HDMI. I also have my (non-hd) dish receiver connected via s-video, and out to the display via HDMI upconverted to 1080i. Picture looks maybe a bit soft, but improvement vs direct s-video connection for sure.
MaximumBob's Avatar MaximumBob 08:07 AM 11-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedybird View Post

I've been wishy washy on the speakers but have narrowed the field to Klipsch Reference series. RVX-54 / RVX-42 / RW12 / surrounds.

I just bought three RVX-42s for my lcr and four RSX-5s for the surrounds. I think it's a little over kill on the surrounds though, 3's or 4's would have done just fine. I like the really 42 for the center when watching movies; the dialog actually comes out pretty crisp. My old center was weak when it came to dialog.

I'm probably going to pick the 2600 for Christmas.

1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop