Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 97 Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Lee View Post

Thanks for the update Madmin.... too bad it does not make me happy...

I find it a bit odd that USACO shipped it back still broken.

Also, it sounds very familiar ... I sometimes get audio after either a reset or leaving it unplugged for half a day, but soon after the dsp modes disappear again, taking with them any audio output.
Seeing that each time it happens is related to the DSP chip/board, I think that is where the problem lies.
On a few places online I heard quotes for a dsp-circuitry board in excess of $200

Since I live in the Netherlands I need to ship it off (or drive for like 3 hours to get it to the only "official" service center), but I plan to just let my dealer handle that.

Now just to find some time to pack it up and drive to the dealer, afaik they're Onkyo authorized to repair it, if not I'll certainly want a proper estimate before it proceeds from there... I'm not eager to pay 300 if I can buy an 876 for ~850.

did you finally get the unit fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 PM

I'm having problem with the HDMI output when it needs to send out a Y/Cb/Cr signal originating from my PS3 to my TV. I constantly have to change my ps3 settings manually back to RGB and then to Y/Cb/Cr to get rid of the magenta screen. Obviously the receiver can transfer this Y/Cb/Cr signal to my TV but why doesn't it do this in the first instance?
post #93 of 97 Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Bought mine on clearance from "Circuit City" (!) in 2007.

Didn't "need" it at the time, but the unit itself was supposedly excellent, the price was right, and I figured eventually I'd use it to build up a nice home theater. So the unit sat unloved for five years, being used only occasionally as an amplifier for a regular CD player, and nothing else. Finally got a chance to build up the nice A/V system in 2012, and voila, this older unit worked like a champ, with great sound quality and more power than I could use.

18 months later. . .HDMI board is fried. So with really only 1.5 years actual use, my MSRP $1000, 105W/channel 7.1 THX certified 2 zone A/V receiver is a nice 30 lb brick.

I suppose it will still amplify the CD player, though, so there is that. mad.gif

A bit more seriously, I'll find out how much it costs to repair this, and post here, but I'm thinking it probably doesn't pay.
post #94 of 97 Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Onkyo has a trade up program. I'm not sure how that works with unworking equipment. You might be able to send it in and get a newer model.

I still have my 803 and now it has a big brother, the 809. I was going to trade up, I even sent the 803 in, then I decided that I wanted to keep and and got the 809. Being connected to the internet is awesome. I can control it with my android.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
post #95 of 97 Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Onkyo has a trade up program. I'm not sure how that works with unworking equipment. You might be able to send it in and get a newer model.

I still have my 803 and now it has a big brother, the 809. I was going to trade up, I even sent the 803 in, then I decided that I wanted to keep and and got the 809. Being connected to the internet is awesome. I can control it with my android.

This, I did not know. Thank you.

I don't really need to control my receiver via the internet or my phone, but I will try to find out more about this.
post #96 of 97 Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I can control it with my android.

My android controls my starship. tongue.gif

(I also went from an 803 to the 809)

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #97 of 97 Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM

OK, just got off the phone with Onkyo customer service about this. I must say, that I got a rep right on the phone (zero waiting), he was polite, knew his stuff, and (by voice) was a native New Jerseyan. So it was a good customer service experience.

Onkyo does have a trade in program, and they will accept a no-longer working unit in trade-in with no issue. The rep told me that they decide what the equivalent current production unit is, and will swap for that.

In this particular case, for a cost of $500, they will ship me a refurbished TXNR818 (not 809), with a 1 year manufacturer warranty, in exchange for my less than perfectly functional TXSR803.

So far as I can tell "street value" of a new NR818 is about $800. Open box, and/or manufacturer refurbished ones are about $700 on Ebay. Used (and functional) SR803 units don't come up for sale that often, but they typically go for about $200. So the upgrade would be effectively, a little better than a fair market value trade. . .assuming I wanted to step up to an NR818 (which, bluntly, I really don't think I do. . .803 is already plenty).

On repair, the authorized service center for Onkyo told me they'd charge me $75 to evaluate the broken unit, then contact me with final estimate for repair. The $75 evaluation fee would go to repair. Turnaround is 10-14 days before they could look at the unit, and then depending on what's wrong with it, and availability of repair parts, it could take another few weeks to repair. More than that, they couldn't/wouldn't say.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr803b Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr803 Av Receiver 7 1 Channel
Gear in this thread - Sr803 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page