Harmon Kardon vs. Pioneer Elite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good Evening All...

As I posted previously, I am in the market for a new receiver. Someone here brought to my attention the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi. I honestly didn't even know Pioneer made any audio receivers worth buying. I always knew their Elite line of tv's were just that...Elite! I can't seem to find any reviews on the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi. I've read a lot of great things about the HK AVR-7300. Does anyone have an opinion about both of these units?? It seems to me that the HK will probably be replaced anytime now, as it's been around more than a full year. Does anyone know what HK's next flagship receiver is going to have for features?? Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

John from Boston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Go to Ecoustics.com, click on reviews, receivers, and you will find a review from Sound and Vision Magazine on the 74. The only thing that doesn't make sense is the wattage ratings for 5 channels driven. I saw somewhere else that the wattage was actually higher than what Pioneer says, yet Sound and Vision gives it pretty anemic nos. Go and listen to it, and trust your ears. They are all that matters. Good luck.

SDS
post #3 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Had the HK 435 "baby"-brother of the flagship 7300, and now have a Pio 74. The 7300 has Faroudja video upconversion which adds to the price over the 435/635 (or, at least I think that's what the huge difference was). So, if that's important to you, you may still consider it. I'd give the 74 the edge on movies and HK the edge with music. Aside from the crossovers (HKs have the quad crossovers), I'd give the 74 the edge on useability/customizability (mainly 6 MCACC presets). Generally, thumbs up for both though.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey John from Boston!

I used to live in the greater Boston area. Still root for the Pats! ;)

I may get flamed for this.......... Check out on the net and here as well for threads concerning HK and Pioneer Elite and see what owners say about them. My point is while HK makes a great sounding receiver as does Pioneer, HK receivers have more quality issues than Pioneer Elite receivers. There's a thread here devoted to HK quality issues as well.

While HK has a great reputation for making it right with their customer service, why have the problem in the first place?

I've had 3 Pioneer Elite receivers, only upgraded for better performance, never have had a quality issue. The 55TXi and 56TXi were made in Malaysia, the 59TXi is made in Japan. From every model I have looked at the HK (including the flagship AVR-7300) are made in China. Is that the reason for the higher than normal quality issues? Don't know for sure, but if I were a betting man......... ;)

Fred
post #5 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 07:37 PM

Enigma869,

I too knew nothing of Pioneer receivers when I was looking for one. From what I had read on the 'net, I thought I was set on the Yamaha RX-V2600. Then I stumbled upon a couple of threads mentioning Pioneer & decided to do more research. Well, after checking them both out at Tweeter, I found the Pioneer to suit my tastes a little better. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Yammy too as they were comparable, just a few things I liked about the Pio more. The moral of the story is to check both receivers out & you might find that you like one more than the other.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page