Advertisement

post #32 of 198 Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast View Post

Well I just received my Pioneer Elite DV-79avi last night and connected it to my month old VSX-59txi using the i-link cable. It is a fantastic combination! The set up was simple and worked flawlessly the first time. The SQ via i-link is better than I expected. The VSX-59txi is performing at a level that I thought could not be achieved without high end separate components. I could hear detail in the music last night that I have never heard before and this is with material that I have listened to for 30 years! Along with the great SQ the PQ out of the DV-79avi at 480P via component is the best I have seen from any DVD player on my 3 year old Mits RP CRT TV. I am one happy Pioneer customer right now. I am satisfied that I have the right HT equipment to enjoy quality audio and video for another year or two while the new High Def disc formats slug it out. Looks like a stop at BB is in the cards tonight to pick up more hi-rez discs.

I, too, am amazed. I've had the 59txi for a year or so, and just got a deal on a SILVER 79avi -- ick, but for $300 off msrp over the black one, hey...

I'm using an external hdmi switcher to handle the video to my Sony XBR960 tube from both my Dish HD sat receiver and the 79avi at 1080i and it's the best thing I've ever seen for anywhere NEAR the investment I've had to make.

What speakers are you using? I've got a Energy Veritas 7.1 setup and am very happy with the sound. And now, thanks to the 79avi, the video, too!

Larry
post #33 of 198 Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LDBecker, My older HD TV doesn't have an HDMI input so I will have to live with 480p over component until the next TV purchase. Upscaling will have to wait until then. Last year I tried a Samsung HD-950 with the remote hack to upscale over component. It was good but I do believe the DV-79avi has better PQ at 480p than the Samsung did at 1080i. Even though I can't take advantage of the upscaling feature yet I wanted to get the player now to have something good to watch and hear while I follow the high def disc format saga. Likewise, I am not buying another receiver until the whole HDMI fracas is settled and the connection will pass all the audio formats and work seamlessly with all the other HDMI equipped components out there. After two whole days now with the Pioneer combo I am quite pleased. I will be renting some movies this weekend and re-reading the DV-79avi thread for recommendations on all the settings.

For speakers I am using a Def Tech 5.1 setup. BP2000TL fronts, CLR 3000 center, and BPVX surrounds. No separate sub as each front has one built in with a 500 watt amp. I am inputing the sub outs from the VSX-59 to the LFE inputs on the fronts and get plenty of bass with this arrangement. The VSX-59 really makes these speakers shine. They are fantastic with movies and also do quite well with music. I like the wide sound stage of the Def Tech bipolar design. With this new player and receiver, DVDA and SACD discs are outstanding. I bought three more old favorites last night and really enjoyed them in the new format. More couch time expected this weekend.
post #34 of 198 Old 06-21-2006, 08:57 AM

Someone suggested that, instead of wondering, I should just write Pioneer to see if they plan to do an HDMI upgrade on the 59txi. I KNOW that last year I saw a photo of a 59txi modified by Pioneer with HDMI inputs to run some kind of demo (can't recall where I saw it), so I hoped that this was something possible. Below is Pioneer's response to my question:

"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc. No modifications are planned for the 59txi."

Oh, well, what did I expect? I imagine it's more profitable to sell a new receiver than support loyal owners...

Larry
post #35 of 198 Old 08-28-2006, 04:13 AM

Hey guys. I have had the 59txi for about 8 months now and absolutely love it. Recently I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a dedicated CD player with newer dacs than the 59txi but I am not sure if this would sound good. I was thinking of getting the music hall CD25 but I dont think the dacs on that player would give a significant improvement in sound compared to the pio. What do you guys think?

Also, I read that the Toshiba HDA1 has fairly new DACS BB1755 and might sound better than the pio dacs. Anyone tried this yet? Thanks?
post #36 of 198 Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

There is a lot more to the equation than the DACs, they are just a few dollars each for the manufacturer to buy in bulk. The transformers, capacitors, preamp section etc. all count for more and they really haven't improved much except in features and price (read lower manufacturing costs). Also, the bass management, time alignment and equalization alone make the reciever better in the real world. Don't waste your money.

Finally, use bass management and a subwoofer even with two channel sources, the distortion levels in a good subwoofer are far lower than those in even very good floorstanders and they can be placed properly for bass which is always compromised with floor standing speakers in order to do justice to the rest of the audible range and for stereo imaging.
post #37 of 198 Old 04-20-2007, 06:05 PM

I finally made the leap into the Ipod -- resisted it for so long because I didn't like the idea of compressed stereo only music. I wanted Hi def, DVD-audio or SACD ONLY... but the Ipods are pretty cool and on headphones they're great.

I got a Pioneer Elite 82TXS for another application and it ROCKS with an Ipod. It has some kind of eq built into it for compressed music, and it is REALLY effective.

With that in mind, I got the Pioneer IDK-01 Ipod adaptor for my 59txi with great expectations... and not so much... It sounds pretty much like I expected it to PRIOR to the 82TXS experience. Compressed, kind of thin, and not too pleasant. I cycled through all the sound presets and the 7 channel stereo sounds the best, but...

So, anyone else using an Ipod with their 59txi? What settings do you find that sound the best? Any special tips?

Thanks!

Larry
post #38 of 198 Old 05-04-2007, 09:18 AM

Hi all,

Anybody interested in a Pioneer Elite 59Txi ? My brother is selling his for $1800 firm.
post #39 of 198 Old 05-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anybody interested in a Pioneer Elite 59Txi ? My brother is selling his for $1800 firm.

Good luck receivers have a half life of about a year, that one is 3 years out now. I would list it on EBay and auction it off. I have yet to sell something below market value there. Audiogon also works, they will sell you evaluations on equipment but I would just rely on the bidding process myself.
post #40 of 198 Old 06-16-2007, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11
Still one of Pioneers best. 50-60% off MSRP is probably more realistic - but as prior post indicates, you never know. There is certainly still a demand for this receiver.
post #41 of 198 Old 06-16-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Demand should be there once people realize that this is probably last of Pioneer's true flagship receiver with i-link.

Vinod
post #42 of 198 Old 06-23-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

Someone suggested that, instead of wondering, I should just write Pioneer to see if they plan to do an HDMI upgrade on the 59txi. I KNOW that last year I saw a photo of a 59txi modified by Pioneer with HDMI inputs to run some kind of demo (can't recall where I saw it), so I hoped that this was something possible. Below is Pioneer's response to my question:

"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc. No modifications are planned for the 59txi."

Oh, well, what did I expect? I imagine it's more profitable to sell a new receiver than support loyal owners...

Larry

Is it still true that Pioneer won't offer a hardware upgrade to support hdmi 1.3 on the 59Txi? A hardware upgrade like that would extend the lifetime of the earlier flagship receiver by many years.

Looking at it from a environmentally perspective, it's painful to see people throw away a perfectly good receiver, just because Pioneer has decided that it's more profitable to force people to buy a new set instead of a simple hardware upgrade.
post #43 of 198 Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 AM

Anyone still active on this thread? I'm asking because I just bought a 59TXi off of ebay, I should be playing with it this weekend. Are people still using theirs or have you all jumped to the newer Pio models?

I was wondering, given the massive weight difference between the 59TXi and the newer 94TXH, what the hell did they cut out? Lead weights? Is the 59TXi better for audio than the newer models? It's just weird that they can cut that much weight and cost off of the new models while being appartently "superior" to the 59TXi, other than the new ones not having Ultra 2 THX certifications, what else is not as good?
post #44 of 198 Old 09-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

It wasn't weights, 350 watts from the power supply, capacitors that have about 1/4 of the capacity, heat sinks replaced by fans. Heavily shielded components replaced with less shielding or none.

Where the new one is superior is in DSP and DACs, so about $150 worth of chips. Not to mention HDMI. Can't say the same about the preamp section though, that is also inferior in the new ones and probably more important than the DAC changes but not the DSP changes if you use them.

If you want a more modern equivalent go to an Onkyo or Integra (they just moved away from the cheap amplifier models after going through a couple of generations that were built like the current Pioneer Elites). The Integra is a waste of money if you don't care about home automation though because that is the primary difference between the two brands (bells and whistles aside).
post #45 of 198 Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

P.S. Get an iLink DVD player off of eBay, You will be blown away the 59s DACs are really good for SACD and DVD-Audio. Yamaha, Sony, Marantz , the highest end Denons and Pioneer Elites had them. These are also gone, replaced by HDMI 1.2a and up DVD players (sorry, not applicable here), iLink is dead.

This is the best strategy to deal with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD because you will need the analog connections for these with that receiver and none, except the Sony PS-3 will play SACDs some that will play DVD-Audio may be released soon, but that is a dead format. SACD is doing well in Europe and Asia for jazz and especially classical music and the discs are available here.
post #46 of 198 Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I'm still using mine and plan to replace it with either the new Elite or Denon flagship AVR or separates in '08.

Other than the newer audio formats, updated DAC's and features such as MCACC and HDMI, it's safe to say the 80/90 series are not the equal to the 59 in build quality or real world amp power output (confirmed by tests of the 80 series). Although I wouldn't know for sure about the analog preamp section, it's a good bet that swestbom's assessment is correct. I know I wouldn't replace my 59 with the new 90 series and that's why I'm waiting for the new flagships to arrive. Altho I admit using ext. switchers for HDMI is a pain and I'm waiting to hear the new hi-rez audio formats.

Just my 2c. I hope u enjoy your 59 as much as I've enjoyed mine. Best receiver I've ever owned in >30 yrs in this hobby.

Steve
post #47 of 198 Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

P.S. Get an iLink DVD player off of eBay, You will be blown away the 59s DACs are really good for SACD and DVD-Audio.

I sure do agree with that. That's another reason I'm waiting. All the new receivers have dropped ILink. But Denon still has DenonLink, and Pioneer included ILink on the upcoming SC-09 flagship. I am really trying to avoid all the analog cables and messy or too-simplified bass mgmt. done in the players.

Steve
post #48 of 198 Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback. The 59TXi should be amazing all around, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I wasn't really keen on getting HDMI until the spec has been fully sorted out (it's still ongoing isn't it?). In fact, my first (of many) HDMI sources has just been ordered. I'm picking up the Oppo 980h player and was going to use that for my SACD's that are also being shipped. I realize that it uses analog outputs, but is the i.Link difference really that noticeable? Also, does the 59TXi allow for bass management of analog inputs?

It was a toss up between a new 980h or a used DV-79AVi. In the end I figured the only thing the Pio was clearly better at was perhaps SACD's using i.Link, but I didn't know how much better. I've never heard either of them before, so it's a bit of a blind (or deaf) upgrade other than me searching the forums. I'm hoping the sound quality difference isn't too great or else I'll be picking one up anyways!

Another reason I don't care for HDMI on my receiver, is that I've always heard that for the best picture quality, you don't want to put your source picture through your AV receiver. I've always gone directly to the HDTV. It is more cable management, and that alone might be the biggest draw for me to upgrade one day. At the moment, top PQ and AQ are at the top of my list.
post #49 of 198 Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRiDOR View Post

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback. The 59TXi should be amazing all around, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I wasn't really keen on getting HDMI until the spec has been fully sorted out (it's still ongoing isn't it?). In fact, my first (of many) HDMI sources has just been ordered. I'm picking up the Oppo 980h player and was going to use that for my SACD's that are also being shipped. I realize that it uses analog outputs, but is the i.Link difference really that noticeable? Also, does the 59TXi allow for bass management of analog inputs?

It was a toss up between a new 980h or a used DV-79AVi. In the end I figured the only thing the Pio was clearly better at was perhaps SACD's using i.Link, but I didn't know how much better. I've never heard either of them before, so it's a bit of a blind (or deaf) upgrade other than me searching the forums. I'm hoping the sound quality difference isn't too great or else I'll be picking one up anyways!

Another reason I don't care for HDMI on my receiver, is that I've always heard that for the best picture quality, you don't want to put your source picture through your AV receiver. I've always gone directly to the HDTV. It is more cable management, and that alone might be the biggest draw for me to upgrade one day. At the moment, top PQ and AQ are at the top of my list.

Don't bother with the 79 the oppo is better for video. Get a used 47ai or 59 for iLink, cheaper and just as good for audio via iLink, both also have good dacs for analog
post #50 of 198 Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 AM

I just picked up an Elite 59 used for a terrific price. Hooked up to my DV-79 via i-link for all connections (SACD, DVD-A, CD) and the sound is absolutetly the best I have ever heard. I use a Van Alstine Ultimate 70 tube amp for the front channels and I just can't imagine better sound. I guess i-link is going the way of all flesh but it is too bad, this combo just can't be beat for audio. does anybody care about audio any more?

post #51 of 198 Old 12-08-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys!
Does 59TXi apply BM, time alignment & speaker levels through its multichannel analog inputs if MCACC is turned off or does it do it only when MCACC is on?
Thanks,

Vinod
post #52 of 198 Old 12-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Hi Guys!
Does 59TXi apply BM, time alignment & speaker levels through its multichannel analog inputs if MCACC is turned off or does it do it only when MCACC is on?
Thanks,

vinodk,

Why would you turn it off? Wouldn't you WANT bass management on the analog inputs? That's kind of one of the great strengths of this receiver, and one that distinguished it from other receivers with analog inputs... it could manage bass and applied MCACC on them. It really sounds great.

I was just about to post that I finally hooked up my fairly new Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu-Ray player through the multichannel analog inputs and it is really great! And I think one of the reasons for that is that it APPLIES proper bass management to those inputs. I'm pretty happy with it -- though I wish (not to beat a dead horse) that Pioneer would come up with an HDMI update to this receiver. I'm a little weary of using an outboard switcher to handle what the receiver should do -- and while I could just replace the receiver, I couldn't get anything nearly as good in quality with i-Link, 5 HDMI inputs and this level of quality for less than a small fortune.

Sooo... I continue to use my Monoprice HDMI switcher along side my 59txi and everything works ok. Thank heavens for the multichannel analog inputs, though. They make it possible.

Larry Becker
post #53 of 198 Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Does it take care of the -10db in the multi channel analogue input automatically ?

thanks
post #54 of 198 Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Larry!
I was curious if it applied BM, TA & speaker levels to analog multichannel inputs with MCACC turned off to see how it sounds without additional processing/EQ. With MCACC turned on does it apply just BM or applies TA & speaker levels also?

Vinod
post #55 of 198 Old 12-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Hi Larry!
I was curious if it applied BM, TA & speaker levels to analog multichannel inputs with MCACC turned off to see how it sounds without additional processing/EQ. With MCACC turned on does it apply just BM or applies TA & speaker levels also?

My UNDERSTANDING is that it applies TA and BM with MCACC. I have to confess to not being able to see just how to toggle off MCACC. I've spent some time looking and I don't see anything that specifically does that. I upgraded from the 49TX and I much preferred the remote on that model. I exclusively use the Harmony 880 to control everything (I know, I'm a wuss).

As far as the -10db issue... is that just for the LFE channel that you're talking about? It seems to me that the whole Blu-Ray volume is a bit low -- I often have to go to -10 where I usually listen at about -20 to -30. But it sounds really good. Makes my Energy Veritas speakers just sing (and boom!).

Sorry I'm not more knowledgable on the receiver. I had a better handle on the 49tx before it croaked. The 59TXI is clearly a better unit, but I kind of just let it do its THX Ultra2 thing.

I'm just listening to the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD on the Blu-Ray Fifth Element (reissue) and I'm really pleased. The sound is better than anything I've heard coming out of the 59Txi from a DVD.

Larry
post #56 of 198 Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I'm getting a 59 in a week!

I'm "down grading" from a vsx-82 for the old-school Mosfet sound. My brother has a 47 and I'm jealous every time I hear it and come home

We both have B&W speakers but his 47 has a punch factor that I didn't get with the 82.

Stay tuned and thanks Steve

bob
post #57 of 198 Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a 59 in a week!

I'm "down grading" from a vsx-82 for the old-school Mosfet sound. My brother has a 47 and I'm jealous every time I hear it and come home

We both have B&W speakers but his 47 has a punch factor that I didn't get with the 82.

Stay tuned and thanks Steve

bob

Hardly a downgrade, better audio dacs, better preamp section, much better amplifier section, just no HDMI.
post #58 of 198 Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

Hardly a downgrade, better audio dacs, better preamp section, much better amplifier section, just no HDMI.

That was sorta tongue-in-cheek

I'm looking for major jump in sound quality!

thx

bob
post #59 of 198 Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Stay tuned and thanks Steve bob

No problem Glad it found a home!
And resurrecting this thread is nice to see.

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #60 of 198 Old 01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised there are people who are still interested in this flagship receiver Mine is still going strong...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page