AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Elite 59Txi Owners Thread

27K views 198 replies 34 participants last post by  tshep 
#1 ·
I apologize if this was already created, but I do not see one Active.

Can we get this started, BEFORE I drop $1750 on one?

#127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack /forum/post/19162884

Market value with the remote + microphone, too.

My 59TXI was great but I have SC-25 now and really have no use for the 59TXI. Would rather sell it to someone who will put it to good use as opposed to having it rot in my basement.

Is the SC-25 even in the same league as the 59, Audio and build quality?

I love my 59. It would take an 09 to replace it

I think they go for 6-800 lately w/ remote/mic

bob

#128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/19163451

Is the SC-25 even in the same league as the 59, Audio and build quality?

I love my 59. It would take an 09 to replace it

I think they go for 6-800 lately w/ remote/mic

bob

Good question - for me it is no different (I don't think my Energy speakers allow me to hear the difference) plus SC-25 offers HDMI inputs, so for me SC-25 is more convenient.

I do have a stereo setup in my study with better speakers where I currently use an Outlaw stereo receiver which IMHO turned out a bit underwhelming in the end, maybe I will put my 59 there instead, it's just that it's so huge and heavy...

#129 ·
ok I've a odd question please for any current 59TXi owners

when I'm in the setup menus, menu 3 "expert"

Bass Peak Control ... which I've been into before, gets skipped ?

ie in the top level of menu 3 - you scroll down it goes to the 1st menu option, 2nd one, press down, and it jumps past bass peak control to the 4th manu option ...

any ideas please ? it seems "deliberate" but no idea why

I've checked speaker settings and subwoofer is definately set to on- so its not that

any ideas please ?

#130 ·
I'll check that later for you. I still love this "old" beast! I was listening to the Mosaic Cd by Govia through my little B&W 805's, SD3 mode, no sub and it sounds Divine!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley /forum/post/20245319

ok I've a odd question please for any current 59TXi owners

when I'm in the setup menus, menu 3 "expert"

Bass Peak Control ... which I've been into before, gets skipped ?

ie in the top level of menu 3 - you scroll down it goes to the 1st menu option, 2nd one, press down, and it jumps past bass peak control to the 4th manu option ...

any ideas please ? it seems "deliberate" but no idea why

I've checked speaker settings and subwoofer is definately set to on- so its not that

any ideas please ?

#131 ·
Still enjoying mine as well! I wondered if it had something to do with THX settings and I found this on pg 94 of the manual:

Since the THX Ultra2 feature has a bass limiter to control bass peaks, the bass attenuator is automatically switched off if you set up your system using the THX Ultra2 Subwoofer Setup on page 96.

Could that be a clue to what you're experiencing?

Larry

#132 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_CT
anyone know the current market value of used 59txi in good condition minus the remote?

thanks,

MI
When I sold my 59txi/59avi/PD-59 combo last year I got $600 cash from a local buyer for the 59txi.

I replaced them with a 94txh/bdp-05/58av and while they perform just fine selling the 59's might be a decision I'll regret for many, many years.

#133 ·
LDBecker - that may well be it - perhaps I've toggled the THX Ultra 2 SW setting - will check later - thanks for headsup

re my 59TXi I'd love to replace it with something HD compatible - and up to date features wise - but haven't found anything yet sub 2k (my price-range) - that has similar SQ

#134 ·
I've been away for a bit recovering from spinal surgery and have some bad news about my 59TXi..... Last year my cat vomited on it while I was out of the house. Before I noticed it, I turned it on and heard the "pop" and knew something was dreadfully wrong. I've been waiting since last June for one of the replacement power supply boards. I finally gave up this week and bought I a used 59TXi on Ebay for $700 and can't wait to receive it. I also picked up a spare DV-59AVi in case mine ever dies, I do still use mine alot.

I am glad to see there are people here that still love the VSX-59TXi, I had 4 great years out of my first one and can't wait to get the used one I just bought. Combined with a BDP-09FD hooked up via analogs, it's still a great combination!

BTW: Yes my cat is still alive, although she is never going to sit on a receiver of mine ever again........

Fred

#136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred /forum/post/20461604

Just got the call, my VSX-59TXi is fixed, only took 11 months and a day...

I bought a used one off of Ebay about a month ago and wouldn't you know it, a week later I get the call that the power supply board was finally shipping...

Fred

That's OK. They can keep each other company. You have 2 cats, right?

Still love my 59 every day!

#137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/20461641

That's OK. They can keep each other company. You have 2 cats, right?

Still love my 59 every day!

Three cats now........

I have really stayed on top of keeping them away from the receiver, but you never know....... I do sleep and leave the house occassionally......

I was thinking of selling the used one when I got the original one back, but with such a long time waiting on parts I'll keep it for insurance. It's such an incredible receiver, I plan on keeping it as the center piece of my HT for a long time to come!

Fred

#139 ·
Hello,

I owned the VSX-49txi for many years and nothing I have owned since looks and sounds nearly as nice. The only AVR that came close to the 47/49/59 was Denon's AVR-5805.

I sold my 49 to a friend and every time I see it, I kinda wince as these Models are simply stunning. The Onkyo's I have used since HDMI 1.3 was released simply look cheap in comparison. Then again, they were.

Sadly, I am paying for it as my TX-NR3007 is in the shop after 7 Months whereas my 49 has never skipped a beat in around a decade.

I have an old Marantz SR-19EX hooked up and doing so I really can see that not having HDMI Switching is not that huge provided you have Multichannel Analog Inputs.

Cheers,

AD

#140 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20525278

Hello,

I owned the VSX-49txi for many years and nothing I have owned since looks and sounds nearly as nice. The only AVR that came close to the 47/49/59 was Denon's AVR-5805.

I sold my 49 to a friend and every time I see it, I kinda wince as these Models are simply stunning. The Onkyo's I have used since HDMI 1.3 was released simply look cheap in comparison. Then again, they were.

Sadly, I am paying for it as my TX-NR3007 is in the shop after 7 Months whereas my 49 has never skipped a beat in around a decade.

I have an old Marantz SR-19EX hooked up and doing so I really can see that not having HDMI Switching is not that huge provided you have Multichannel Analog Inputs.

Cheers,

AD

Owning a non HDMI receiver has not precluded me in enjoying any of the new HD audio formats. I just run the analogs from my BDP-09FD to my VSX-59TXi and the player does all of the decoding.

You should find a good used VSX-59TXi and enjoy the high quality and performance of a Pioneer flagship again!

Fred

#141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20525278

Hello,

Cheers,

AD

My 49tx died badly and I tried to get it fixed four times by Pioneer authorized repair people - finally Pioneer let me upgrade to the 59Txi for a fairly reasonable amount ($350 or so I think). I enjoyed the 49Tx a lot, and the 59Txi is great.

I found I DID need the HDMI switching, so I bought a Monoprice HDMI switcher and programmed my Logitech remote to change it when I change functions... i.e., when I watch Dish, the remote turns on the satellite receiver, changes the inputs in the 59Txi, changes the input on the HDMI switcher, and turns on the TV.

Or when I watch Blu-Ray it changes the audio to the analog inputs on the 59Txi, turns on the Blu-Ray player, turns on the TV and switches the HDMI switch to the correct input.

It took a day or so to figure out the Logitech programming, but with that remote it unified the whole process and extended the life of my 59Txi. One button on the Logitech to turn it all on for whatever I need it to do, one button to shut it all off, fairly easy PC-based USB programming.

I DON'T believe the HDMI switcher will handle anything beyond HDMI 1.3b, so 3D wouldn't work... but if you get a switcher that has a remote, the Logitech will switch it. Here's the Monoprice page link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...01&cp_id=10110

What it DOESN'T do that I miss is handle iTunes Airplay. THAT would be cool, but it's just coming into usefulness. The next iOS upgrade will vastly improve that with Apple TV, I think. As I write this, I'm remembering how I used to really enjoy SACD and DVD-Audio discs, and the 49TX and 59Txi really worked well with those formats (with my Pioneer 79avi player!). Now most of the music I end up listening to is iTunes. Ugh... I DID get the iPod adaptor for the 59Txi, but it doesn't charge, doesn't have decent menus, etc... not great.

Larry

#142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker /forum/post/20684922

I DID get the iPod adaptor for the 59Txi, but it doesn't charge, doesn't have decent menus, etc... not great.

Larry

Larry:

I bought the Pioneer IDK-01 iPod unit, simple menus but it does charge the iPod. I connect it via R/L analogs and composite to the receiver. Soon I am going to get an HD Radio tuner and connect it via optical.

My HDTV was one year before Mitsubichi started using HDMI, so I use my DVI port on it along with a HDMI-DVI adapter and DVI cable from the blue ray BDP-09FD player along with the 8 analogs connected to the VSX-59TXi's Multi Channel in. I am soon going to hook up for DVD playback an optical cable to the receiver so I can play old Dolby and DTS formats that the BDP-09FD cannot decode. My DV-59AVi DVD player I connect with 480p component direct to the TV with audio going over iLink. My cable box connects at 1080i via component to the TV's DTV connection. I connect my LD player via S-Video to the TV and both digital coax to the AC3 and regular Digital coax connections omn the receiver. My CD library connects via Digital coax, my old region free Apex AD-600a to the TV via component and reciever by digital coax.

Overall the only video I pass through the receiver is for running the setup and iPod play. Other than that all video goes from the player in question to the HDTV. It may not be as slick as some HDMI setups, it does give me the flexiblity to watch TV without the receiver being on. That came in handy the 11 months and a day mine was in the shop for repair...... (now I own 2 VSX-59TXi receivers just in case my cat trys to pull another fast one on me..
)

Fred

#143 ·
as a headsup - I've finally found a software player that willallow you to add +10dB (digital domain so shouldn't be any clipping) - to the LFE channel only

Jriver Media Centre 16 so for £30 you can get full lossless with the+10dB required boost toLFE into the Pioneer

only restriction is the Pioneer is limited to 16/48khz - but thats still CD quality for all channels

so effecitvely you're getting as good as LPCM via HDMI with the only negative being the limitation below

only piece of software I'vefound that allo0ws the boost only to the LFE channel

so you then get flagship high-end SQ for a knock down price

considering the price of 2nd hand 59TXi - you could buy a 59TXi 2nd hand AND a HTPC and still be under the price of a mid-range (that wouldn't sound as good) receiver

#144 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley /forum/post/20790783

as a headsup - I've finally found a software player that willallow you to add +10dB (digital domain so shouldn't be any clipping) - to the LFE channel only

Jriver Media Centre 16 so for £30 you can get full lossless with the+10dB required boost toLFE into the Pioneer

only restriction is the Pioneer is limited to 16/48khz - but thats still CD quality for all channels

so effecitvely you're getting as good as LPCM via HDMI with the only negative being the limitation below

only piece of software I'vefound that allo0ws the boost only to the LFE channel

so you then get flagship high-end SQ for a knock down price

considering the price of 2nd hand 59TXi - you could buy a 59TXi 2nd hand AND a HTPC and still be under the price of a mid-range (that wouldn't sound as good) receiver

Can't we accomplish the same when we run setup with MCACC?

Fred

#145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred /forum/post/0

Can't we accomplish the same when we run setup with MCACC?

Fred

Unfortunately not

You could set subwoofer channel 10db hot ... But then the level would be wrong for any bass managed subwoofer output and for other sources

Basically for 5.1 channel inputs for blurays or htpcs via analogue or USB the signal as standard has lfe channel (note lfe channel not subwoofer) 10db low as part of the spec most nodern receivers allow you to automatically add the 10db but not on the pioneer

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred /forum/post/20684197

Owning a non HDMI receiver has not precluded me in enjoying any of the new HD audio formats. I just run the analogs from my BDP-09FD to my VSX-59TXi and the player does all of the decoding.

You should find a good used VSX-59TXi and enjoy the high quality and performance of a Pioneer flagship again!

Fred

Fred,

I often toy around with picking up a VSX-59txi. However, as I use Martin Logan Electrostatic Speakers for every channel, even the amazing Amplifier Stage in the 59 is not enough for my Speakers as the Mains and Surrounds go down below 1 Ohm at certain parts of the Frequency Response.

I purchased the VSX-49txi as MCACC was groundbreaking. At the time, I used ML's for my 2 Channel rig and Paradigm Studio 100's for Mains and Surrounds and the Studio CC. While I did use a Parasound HCA-2205AT, I did hook up the 49 to drive the Paradigms and was shocked at just how great the 49 drove the Studio 100's.

Then again, as the 47/49/59 all weighed close to 80 Pounds, it really had a magnificent Amplifier Stage for an AVR. Again, I really think only the gonzo Denon AVR-5805 was superior or on par with these amazing AVR's.

Cheers,

AD

#147 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20828578

Fred,

I often toy around with picking up a VSX-59txi. However, as I use Martin Logan Electrostatic Speakers for every channel, even the amazing Amplifier Stage in the 59 is not enough for my Speakers as the Mains and Surrounds go down below 1 Ohm at certain parts of the Frequency Response.

I purchased the VSX-49txi as MCACC was groundbreaking. At the time, I used ML's for my 2 Channel rig and Paradigm Studio 100's for Mains and Surrounds and the Studio CC. While I did use a Parasound HCA-2205AT, I did hook up the 49 to drive the Paradigms and was shocked at just how great the 49 drove the Studio 100's.

Then again, as the 47/49/59 all weighed close to 80 Pounds, it really had a magnificent Amplifier Stage for an AVR. Again, I really think only the gonzo Denon AVR-5805 was superior or on par with these amazing AVR's.

Cheers,

AD

I'm seriously looking into a used set of B&W 802N's (Nautilus series)

I thought the 59 bi-amped should be enough to properly power them but your post prompted me to check!

thx

bob

#148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20828578

Fred,

Cheers,

AD

AD:

I've often toyed with the idea of taking my Ohm F's and using them with my 59TXi as speaker B's and just listening to them for music. But it's that same below 1 ohm that scares me. It's the waiting 11 months and a day to get my receiver back last time it was in the shop that makes it just a thought... Even with the NAD C 272's 2 x 150W Minimum Continuous Power into 4/8 ohms (220W, 340W, 460W IHF Dynamic Power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively) I've blown the fuse on each speaker playing stuff like the cannons of a DG CD of the 1812 Overture or Ted Nugent "Hammerdown". Fortunately the speaker fuse is the cheapest thing to replace. It's funny that when the Ohm F's were first sold in the 70s, Tech HiFi used to bundle them with a Pioneer SX-1010 receiver and I'm scared to use a top of the line Pioneer receiver with them nowadays....

Fred

#150 ·
Mark:

I've got to compliment you on getting the most out of what I still consider one of the best receivers ever made!

I have yet to use the USB port on my 59, I do however use the multichannel inputs for my BDP-09FD to decode DTS-MA and TrueHD audio.

I don't know how I survived the 10 months I went without a 59TXi waiting for parts. As I posted earlier, as soon as I bought a used one on Ebay, sure enough I get the call my power supply board was finally shipping from Asia.

Fred

#151 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley /forum/post/20854261

managed to get direct DTS-MA/True-HD decoding working in Jriver MC - so you can decode directly to 8 channel USB into the Pioneer

VERY cheap way to get into a high end receiver that will receive the lossless HD audio (all be it decoded at source)

Any difference from running multi-channel ins?

bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.