post #181 of 198 Old 04-28-2012, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred View Post

I can't remember or don't know if you mentioned what you have for speakers, but if you feel confident you 59TXi is all fixed.. go for new speakers (or get your current ones fixed if there's value in that). Through the last few years I've checked out new receivers and when I was pretty sure Pioneer was never going to get the parts to repair my 59, I bought another 59 on Ebay. Now of course that week Pioneer called me to say my parts were shipping.... I love my 59TXi and although there's no decoding HD audio or HDMI, I'm able to get around that with my BDP-09FD. I have a Pioneer IDK-01 to handle my iPod and a onyX XM radio with the home kit for satellite radio, heck I can keep my 59TXi going for another decade (as long as my cat stays away from it). The 59 combo of a DV-59AVi and VSX-59TXi is incredible for SACD/DVD-Audio via the iLink connection.

Keep your VSX-59TXi and just build around it!

Fred

thanks Fred - I didn't spot your reply before so sorry I didn't reply

re the Pioneer - well I'm pleased to say - that 3 weeks later and the Pioneer 59Txi is still working perfectly - not a single glitch so I'm certain the fuse had mechanically broken (probably due to the heat cycles inside of the receiver) rather than blown.

happy days as it still sound superb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
New life in the old 59TXi!

I'd been frustrated with the lack of HDMI ports and AirPlay, and was thinking of upgrading to maybe the new Pioneer Elite SC-67 or SC-68. I had been using a Monoprice 4 component HDMI switcher and it was OK, and the Pioneer iPod dock for the receiver was kind of cludgy. My old TV (Sony XBR960) died so I upgraded to a Panasonic 55GT50 plasma with 4 HDMI slots, and since it did 3D, I upgraded my old Pio Elite 94 BR player to a new Panasonic BDT500 that has analog multi-channel outs that would work with the 59TXi. AWESOME! Works/sounds great.

That left the AirPlay issue - got an Apple TV (3rd gen) for just under $100, plugged it into an HDMI port on the Panasonic, plugged a TosLink cable into the 59TXi, and now I have AirPlay. I use a Harmony One to do all the switching, and it's pretty nice.

I was really struggling about spending another $2k or more on a receiver comparable in sound and quality to the 59TXi - although I see a couple of places selling the Denon 4311 for about $1300-tempting, but for about $100 and some patience in programming the Harmony One, I'm doing pretty good.

The 59TXi was kind of a "courtesy upgrade" from Pioneer because my 49TX died a horrible death and several trips to an authorized repair place only made it worse - the upgrade cost me about $400 I think - not too shabby, but the 49TX was about $2k as I recall, so I have a few bucks invested in this thing. Trying to make it work a while longer. I like the way it drives my Energy Veritas 7.1's.

Larry
post #183 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

well rest your mind - when my 59TXi was seemingly broken I bought a 4311

the EQ was very good indeed (although overbright for my liking) - gave a slightly better surround field than the 59TXi BUT overall SQ, and cinematic punch was not in same league as the Pioneer frown.gif the Pioneer seemed to pull more detail out of the mix, and is much more dynamic . The Pioneer 59TXi is one of the few (I've tried one of the new SC series to no avail) receivers I've heard that both goes loud AND still sounds dynamic - if that makes sense. Effortless is probably a good word.

without going into Hifi terms - the Pio sounds better smile.gif

I managed to fix the 59TXi smile.gif (fixed it myself .... !!) - so I sold the 4311 - and not regretted it. Don't get me wrong - in the price bracket I could afford (up to 2K) the Denon 4311 demoed the best out of it's peers - but still .....

been tempted with an Anthem MRX - but not convinced it will sound as good as the Pioneer
post #184 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Glad to read there are some still enjoying this excellent receiver smile.gif
Pioneer's best....certainly the best before the change to class D amps.

IMHO, the 59TXi was the best on build quality. The only SC model that equals on build quality was the SC-09. But I am biased since I own and owned both wink.gif

Steve
post #185 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Larry, Mark:
I'm always glad to hear about VSX-59TXi's still in service! I was really afraid back in 2010 that mine was gone and I would have to move on from the model, instead my 59TXi is running great a year after the repair and I have a backup incase anything else happens. I've been able to work around any obstacle and keeping my 59TXi as the main receiver in my home. No HDMI? I connect my BDP-09FD and DV-59AVi directly to my TV via DVI and Component interfaces. The 09FD BD player decodes the HD audio via analog to the 59TXi, the 59AVI connects via iLink (which I still love!). No plug for an iPod? I have a Pioneer IDK-01 iPod dock that connects to the receiver, it even has a remote with it. No plug for XM radio? I have a XM radio tuner with a "home" kit that I use mostly for NFL games, connected to the 59TXi via analog, it has a remote control too! Whether it's a new BD disc filling the house with 7.1 sound or a DVD of a 50 year old film playing 2 ch mono through my 2 main speakers, the VSX-59TXi just keeps on doing it job every day 7 years running (with 11 months in the shop vacation). While I am now on my 3rd computer in 12 years, I don't see my Pioneer "Flagship" receiver going anywhere!
Fred
post #186 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Glad to read there are some still enjoying this excellent receiver smile.gif
Pioneer's best....certainly the best before the change to class D amps.

IMHO, the 59TXi was the best on build quality. The only SC model that equals on build quality was the SC-09. But I am biased since I own and owned both wink.gif

i'd agree with that... smile.gif

unlike mark though, i like the 4311 better than both the 59 and the 09... fortunately, we have options... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #187 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i'd agree with that... smile.gif
unlike mark though, i like the 4311 better than both the 59 and the 09... fortunately, we have options... smile.gif

smile.gif are you using the 4311 as a pre-pro or an all-in one receiver

I just found the 4311 a bit fuzzy sounding, and over-bright (even with EQ off) - "tsssing" to all voice s's etc
post #188 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM

My 59 has performed flawlessly for years and I have used it every single day but am thinking of getting a new amp as a pre/pro for the HDMI,etc. Probably going to wait to see how the sc-68s pan out and hopefully they could become good mates. Has anyone else done something like this with theirs?
post #189 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@mark....

all in one... i ditched my bryston when i got it, as i proved to myself that the 4311 would drive my speakers to whatever levels i needed...

hmmm... not here, but it's also possible that my ears aren't picking up on it... smile.gif i'm getting old... frown.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #190 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmaz View Post

My 59 has performed flawlessly for years and I have used it every single day but am thinking of getting a new amp as a pre/pro for the HDMI,etc. Probably going to wait to see how the sc-68s pan out and hopefully they could become good mates. Has anyone else done something like this with theirs?

if you were going to go in this direction, you could go with a much more modestly priced avr as the pre-pro...

i wouldn't personally... but that's me... i would find it rather pointless to buy a sc and then not use it's amplification...

- chris

post #191 of 198 Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

if you were going to go in this direction, you could go with a much more modestly priced avr as the pre-pro...
i wouldn't personally... but that's me... i would find it rather pointless to buy a sc and then not use it's amplification...

I have entered and won many "Most pointless endeavor" contests but I was wondering about that as well. I find sometimes with the higher end of the product lines the build is a little better but I guess if all the features are there and it is from the same line the pre/pro section should maintain the same quality without the extra amplification.
post #192 of 198 Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol.... i too have made a few entries into that contest... tongue.gif

- chris

post #193 of 198 Old 09-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Unhappy

Just retired my beloved 59Txi... it basically lost the center channel, and the L-R seemed off as well... Decided not to get it repaired - went another direction.

Anyway - anyone need an old unit for parts?

The remote is in perfect condition as well - it's actually a replacement for the original (that someone sat on - those were expensive to replace!). It still charges, lights up, and has worked well also. I also have the iPod adaptor for it.

I'd be willing to give it away to a good home for the cost of shipping... I have the original box. It's about 70 lbs (!), so shipping won't be inexpensive.

It was a great unit - it lasted me about 10 years of regular use. It was a replacement from Pioneer for my 49Tx that died a premature death under warranty and couldn't be repaired.
post #194 of 198 Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
LD

Sad day indeed. truly a great receiver.

I had a similar situation with my 1st 59Txi due to some lightning damage & insurance replaced - found a home for it with an AVS member who may be still using it, at least in some room

Your fun begins shopping for its replacement
Are you going to do Atmos? an SC-89 perhaps?

Steve
post #195 of 198 Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

prob worth a fair amount just the copper melted down

sorry to hear its not working properly any-more though

my UK AX10Ai version is still going strong- keep thinking of replacing it but my last attempt about 18 months ago (Denon 4311) didn't end well - so I've just kept it

it just sounds so good especially when cranked up with an action movie
post #196 of 198 Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
LD

Sad day indeed. truly a great receiver.

I had a similar situation with my 1st 59Txi due to some lightning damage & insurance replaced - found a home for it with an AVS member who may be still using it, at least in some room

Your fun begins shopping for its replacement
Are you going to do Atmos? an SC-89 perhaps?
Yup - already went through that - I looked at the Yamaha 3040, Pioneer SC-87 (the SC-89 was too much) and Denon X5200W. I ended up going Denon. Got a good deal on it, found it at a local BB/Magnolia. I wanted HD radio and built-in WiFi - which the Denon had, but the Pio didn't. Otherwise they seemed pretty equivalent. The Yamaha seemed a good solution as well, but I don't have the Front Wide speakers and wasn't planning to try to shoe-horn any more speakers in my room - at least on the floor, anyway...

The Denon Audyssey flagged one of my speakers as bad - and it was right. I had two dead woofers in my Energy Veritas 2.3 L speaker - found a guy in France on eBay that had NEW IN BOX replacement woofers. They just arrived this morning and are indeed new in box exact replacements. So, I'll re-run Audyssey, get everything set up and will have a 7.1.2 system in place for the first Atmos BD. Kind of excited!

I bought two B&W M1 speakers to mount on the ceiling to try the Atmos decoding... looking forward to the new Transformers DVD tomorrow - and I don't even LIKE Transformers. Even without it being fully set up, the Height speakers add a LOT to the sound experience.

Feel bad about not sticking with Pioneer... but the feature set of the Denon was a bit better for about the same $$$. I also wonder about the sale of much of that part of their business to Onkyo... it just added another level of questions. But Pioneer has been great to me for over a decade.

The Denon has a lot of features, was made in Japan (the X5200W's are in that line, the lower ones are not), but it isn't even CLOSE to the build quality of the 59Txi - but I think it will be ok. It's nice to finally have HDMI switching.
post #197 of 198 Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had mine break down a few years ago after my cat got sick on top of it. Eleven months later it was fixed, in the meantime I bought a used one so now I have two working models. Larry did you have it checked out? I still use mine every day. How about your remote did you get rid of it? I could use an extra.

Fred
post #198 of 198 Old 09-29-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred View Post
I had mine break down a few years ago after my cat got sick on top of it. Eleven months later it was fixed, in the meantime I bought a used one so now I have two working models. Larry did you have it checked out? I still use mine every day. How about your remote did you get rid of it? I could use an extra.

Fred
Hi, Fred,

No - I didn't have it checked out. I had SUCH a poor experience with getting my 49Tx repaired - it took MONTHS and every time they returned it to me it was worse - yet the authorized repair place pronounced it completely repaired.
I haven't disposed of the remote - I got a pm from someone with a 49Tx that wanted it... I was HOPING that I could just send off the whole unit, remote and all, to someone who wanted to tinker or who needed spare parts. Going to wait a bit to see what interest and requests show up. I'll keep track...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page