HK 3480 vs. Marantz 2270 vs. Sansui 7070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am trying to decide on a receiver for an entry level stereo setup. my mind was set on hk-3480 until i came across some nice vintage equipment on ebay and other stores online.
i had decided on hk 3480 after a long research. i think its safe to say i read 90 % of everything online about hk 3480. then again Marantz 2270 and Sansui 7070 also got a number rave reviews. audioreview is my first stop for researching any equipment and both these receivers were favored by audioreview users.
a plus for these vintage receivers is that they have transistors as opposed to integrated circuits :rolleyes. i really have limited knowledge especially on the technical side. but i was told that it was an important feature since transistors have lower distortion.
also they come cheaper. like 70$ less.
as for power hk 3480 is rated at 120*2, i think marantz is 70*2 and sansui is 60*2. but i have a feeling that both marantz and sansui were underrated. it seems that way for every vintage equipment.
one more note: the receiver will be driving athena as-f2 speakers or infinity primus 360. if i can fork up just a little more cash i may get wharfedale diamond 8.4s. but it seems like a remote chance.
a big thank you! in advance to all the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2006, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Unless I were able to inspect the vintage gear, I'd go for the h/k 3480 or an nad 320bee.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Vintage, from a respected seller. Look for good feedback in their history fom other buyers.

The HK is all discrete, transistor based, while the others I'm not sure of. In any case, all three are equally repairable. Of course, the HK has a 2-year warranty and remote, but the others will be unique. I have an HK AVR, and the last thing I want is a 2 ch version of that for my 2nd system. Vintage, thanks.

See audiokarma.org for more on the vintage goods.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have an HK AVR, and the last thing I want is a 2 ch version of that for my 2nd system.
Have you heard an h/k 3480? It's a different animal.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

No. Good that you pointed it out.

However, I think the luxury of having a 2nd system would be "wasted" a bit having two main components from the same family tree.

But if I ever get the chance to use a 3480, I will.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Your point is a good one. However, I think you'd be very happy with a 2-channel system based on the 3480.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2006, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

thank you milaz and Clmrt.
its a good thing somebody has mentioned c320bee. though im sure its underrated i really doubt if that will hold up against harman kardons 120W. harman kardon as far as i know doesnt overrate either.
buying vintage gear im ready to spend a few more bucks to buy from a trusted seller. the only thing that concerns me now is the remote issue :)
but i think i will go for quality sound first. so do you really think a good vintage will provide a more audiophile quality sound than the hk.?
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors