Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4119 Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-D View Post

I am about to purchase the 2807 and was wondering if anyone out there has a Directv HD DVR (model # HR10-250)?

If so, can someone tell me if the HDMI signal is passed correctly from the HR10-250 through the 2807 to the display (my display is a Sanyo Z4)?

Thanks for any feedback...

I barley had a chance to play with it as it was extremely late by the time all my connections were done. However, the picture looks great (Panny Plasma) but I can't get any sound over the HDMI. As stated in my previous post and the response I received a will check my TiVo menu settings when I get home.

Remember, I only played with it for 25 minutes before lights out so I will have a better opinion in the days to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4119 Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Denon won't send audio through HDMI. They will only accept it from a source and amplify it. They won't pass it downstream.
post #273 of 4119 Old 04-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in SD View Post

Denon won't send audio through HDMI. They will only accept it from a source and amplify it. They won't pass it downstream.

The 2807 will send audio to your speakers or to your display(over HDMI) but not both. Its part of the setup assignments
post #274 of 4119 Old 04-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Again from Dolby. The suggestion was to confirm whether the receiver can accept a minimum up 6ch 24/96 PCM. Both the 3806 and 2807 can handle this. From both of their manuals the sound mode would be "Multi Ch In". The receiver doesn't need to distinguish DVD-A or TrueHD PCM feeds, it's just PCM I guess. HOWEVER, I saw a thread about a Bluray demo with 6ch 24/192 audio. According to both 3806/2807 manuals 192khz audio is only acceptable in stereo. So what will the receiver do with 6ch 24/192 PCM? Downsample or just not play?
post #275 of 4119 Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

The 2807 will send audio to your speakers or to your display(over HDMI) but not both. Its part of the setup assignments

Ok, I didn't think it would. Maybe it's just my 4306 then. I'll have to check. I think it mentioned that in the manual.
post #276 of 4119 Old 04-03-2006, 07:36 PM

Have the Denon hooked up via HDMI to:

Comcast Cable Box (Latest 2 tuner DVR from Motorola) & a Sony HDMI DVD Player.
When hooked up directly to my Sony XBR, both signals are fine. When switching through the Denon the following happens:

Audio is fine for both
For the Sony DVD Player, signal is missing the Blue component (same as not connecting the Blue Component RCA plug)
For the Comcast Box, no picture at all.

I have tried every HDMI setting I can think of to no avail. Any thoughts out there?
post #277 of 4119 Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM

Well, here is the response I got from my cable company Cox about the HDMI issue with the 8300HD. Enjoy

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Cox Communications regarding your
High Definition Television service.

We regret any inconvenience that this matter may be causing you. Please
note that we do not offer Technical Support for customer owned
equipment.

At this time, we only support the connection of the HDTV receiver to
your HDTV.

If you require assistance setting up your Denon receiver, you will need
to contact the manufacturer directly.

Thank you again for contacting us via e-mail. Please let us know if we
can be of further assistance.
post #278 of 4119 Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

does anybody have a list/link of authorized denon online retailers? I fumbled about the denon website but could find it. Am I correct to assume that they only honor warranties if purchased thru authorized retailers?
post #279 of 4119 Old 04-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone with Denon regarding HDMI stuff on the 3806 and 2807.

1. 1080p is supported on both units. They tested it in Japan.
2. Volume OSD is only shown when converting S-Video and Composite to HDMI. Passthrough will not show OSD on either 3806/2807
3. multi-channel 24/192 PCM over HDMI is not supported on either 3806 or 2807. He said that it would likely output a multich 24/192 PCM feed at 24/96 but wasn't sure. However, the 3806 supports 24/192 multichannel via the analog inputs whereas the 2807 does not.

So according to this guy, the HDMI functionality is identical between the 3806 and 2807. Please don't flame me if the above info is untrue as I'm just relaying what Denon told me.
post #280 of 4119 Old 04-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusAZ View Post

Well, here is the response I got from my cable company Cox about the HDMI issue with the 8300HD. Enjoy

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Cox Communications regarding your
High Definition Television service.

We regret any inconvenience that this matter may be causing you. Please
note that we do not offer Technical Support for customer owned
equipment.

At this time, we only support the connection of the HDTV receiver to
your HDTV.

If you require assistance setting up your Denon receiver, you will need
to contact the manufacturer directly.

Thank you again for contacting us via e-mail. Please let us know if we
can be of further assistance.

OMFG what an ******* " MUST BE YOUR EQUIPMENT" ******** canned response. What dickheads!
post #281 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

Just got off the phone with Denon regarding HDMI stuff on the 3806 and 2807.
2. Volume OSD is only shown when converting S-Video and Composite to HDMI. Passthrough will not show OSD on either 3806/2807
Please don't flame me if the above info is untrue as I'm just relaying what Denon told me.

I saw the 2807 in a local dealer yesterday... It did show Volume OSD. When I asked if it was over HDMI, he said that it was connected component to the TV. I'll have to go back for another visit because this is one thing I was looking for since all the equipment will be out of site..
post #282 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I emailed Denon and they replied today stating that the 2807 is available in Silver.

Has anybody seen one in Silver, or even seen a Silver one listed for sale? All I see are ads for black.
post #283 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

All,

Hundreds of pages in AVS have been dedicated to SA8300 HDDVR DVI issues. Its easy, it doesn't work. Its arguably the most widely adopted HD source in the US (based on posts I've read) and it only reliably works over component, especially so within TWC network.

Give your OCD a rest and watch some movies, you'll be much happier (like I did). Prozac helps too. Frankly, I realize now that I still watch a lot of 480i content and the deinterlacer in my 4805 presents a much sharper picture than passing 480P, so its not a bad tradeoff really.

Have fun.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #284 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post

All,

Hundreds of pages in AVS have been dedicated to SA8300 HDDVR DVI issues. Its easy, it doesn't work. Its arguably the most widely adopted HD source in the US (based on posts I've read) and it only reliably works over component, especially so within TWC network.

Give your OCD a rest and watch some movies, you'll be much happier (like I did). Prozac helps too. Frankly, I realize now that I still watch a lot of 480i content and the deinterlacer in my 4805 presents a much sharper picture than passing 480P, so its not a bad tradeoff really.

Have fun.

The plain information would have been useful--it is certainly not necessary to be an a**hole with your reference to OCD and Prozac.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #285 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Aside from all the HDMI discussion which seems to have a pretty conclusive answer (wait for the cable companies to send some flash upgrades to their equipment in the coming months), does anyone want to comment on the 2807's sound? They're due here within a couple weeks and I'd like to hear other people comment on what the unit sounds like with different equipment to give me an idea what to listen for when I go to audition it.
post #286 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 05:27 PM

I don't see an issue with dayton's post. He was just being factual while providing a bit of levity to a frustarting situation. As we all know...paying big $$$ for all our fancy gear and not having it work as intended can be a real B*tch.

Relax, enjoy and move on. I'm sure our cool hdmi ports and switches will work someday. Unfortunaytely, by that time there will be newer technology out rendering hdmi useless! ;-)
post #287 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

Aside from all the HDMI discussion which seems to have a pretty conclusive answer (wait for the cable companies to send some flash upgrades to their equipment in the coming months), does anyone want to comment on the 2807's sound? They're due here within a couple weeks and I'd like to hear other people comment on what the unit sounds like with different equipment to give me an idea what to listen for when I go to audition it.

I got my AVR2807 last week and must say I'm impressed with the sound. I had an AVR-2800 which dates back a few years so I guess I'm supposed to see an improvement.

The automated setup left the receiver quite flat and I was not impressed at first. After tweaking a few parameters I was very pleased with the result. It's CLEAN power without artifacts which is the way I like it. Playing DVD music material never sounded so good. Of course if somebody is looking for booming bass for music it's not the right receiver (Yamaha is a better choice). So far, music sounds great through my Paradigm speakers and a lot better than my former 2800 (but I'm sure a 3806 or 4305 would sound even better).

As far as sound for movies is concerned it's just unbelievable compared to my old 2800. I'm still using a 5.1 setup but it never sounded that clear and my powered subwoofer never sounded that 'punchy'.

Overall I'm quite please with my purchase (for the price of course).
post #288 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

mzeigler

Yes please, comments weren't directed at you in particular. I've seen these 8300 DVI/HDMI complaints bloom like roses in a manure pile and I hate to see anyone throw effort at it. Believe me, I doubt anyone has gone to the lengths I've gone to make it work:
-5 different versions of 8300 HD DVR boxes
-7 TWC calls
-Lost count of visits to main office
-Countless hours on hold with various engineers, clerks and escalators
-Called/emailed Scientific Atlanta
-3 different HDMI/DVI adaptors
-New cables
-Multiple attempts a "reboot process" (changed order, methods of plugging in etc)
-etc etc etc

I've wasted days of my life trying to make this work. On occasion I've been able to watch movies for an entire day, only to come back the next day to discover its back to the dreaded HDCP handshake issue.

Someone in another forum got the straight answer from SA and according to that account, until TWC (or whatever cableco) updates their firmware, its likely not going to work. See the Denon 4306, 3805, 3806 forums as well as the SA DVR threads in the other forum. Better yet, do a search on +8300 +HDCP on AVS and grab a snickers.

Sorry if I offended.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #289 of 4119 Old 04-06-2006, 09:07 PM

Quick question...

Has anyone got the Volume adjustment bar to display on the tv display when connected via hdmi?

The on screen display works for setup...is there not on screen display for volume control?
post #290 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

dmcdayton:

no problem.

I too talked to an engineer at SA, and he left things with TWC and their unwillingness/inability to update firmware.

I actually have another hdmi issue: I assume that after using component from settop to AVR-2807, that one can use hdmi from the receiver to the television, and from the DVD to the receiver. The problem is that it won't work for me. I usually can't get anything at all, sometimes I get the video, but never the sound.

I just purchased the Denon 2910 DVD too. I was able to get the video via HDMI, but to tell you the truth, I thought the component was better, at least when I could get the component to work. Do those cables go bad easily? I should sit down with the instructions first (duh) but so far things are not working well.

I'm finally getting used to the receiver. I don't like the instruction book, but once I got the hang of it the receiver was easy to use. This is the first receiver where I have had to do so much programming.

Once I got things working, though, oh my! This is my first HD and 5.1 sound, and the Pelenor Fields battle in LOTR is pretty cool, both on my new 50" panny, and through my Polk speakers.

post #291 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Since component video is necessary, what is the best source for audio? Optical? Something else? Suggestions would be welcome.

post #292 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post

Since component video is necessary, what is the best source for audio? Optical? Something else? Suggestions would be welcome.

I prefer optical myself...

As for the DVD/Audio issue...you may have your "direct/stereo" or "surround mode" set incorrectly for your source. I had the same problem and adjusting either one or both of those settings gave me sound.

Good luck!

BTW...does anyone know if you can get the 2807 to show a volume bar on the monitor/display? On screen setup displays alrights...just no volume bar. Using HDMI to monitor.
post #293 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxi View Post

does anybody have a list/link of authorized denon online retailers? I fumbled about the denon website but could find it. Am I correct to assume that they only honor warranties if purchased thru authorized retailers?

I don't have a list of authorized dealers, but I just noticed today that the 2807 has appeared on pricegrabber, so you can at least now have a list of online dealers to compare. I looked at a couple of places that mentioned specifically they were not Yamaha or Marantz dealers, but they did not specifically mention Denon.
post #294 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxi View Post

From Denon's web site......

AUTHORIZED DENON ONLINE E-TAILERS

http://www.usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp
post #295 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqdude View Post

BTW...does anyone know if you can get the 2807 to show a volume bar on the monitor/display? On screen setup displays alrights...just no volume bar. Using HDMI to monitor.

Only when viewing composite or svideo sources. OSD overlays (including the volume bar) don't appear when viewing component or HDMI sources and using an HDMI monitor.

As you have noted, the OSD works, but by replacing the picture completely instead of overlaying on top of it. You probably wouldn't want the volume bar to do this, so it doesn't appear at all.
post #296 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Land View Post

It's CLEAN power without artifacts which is the way I like it. Playing DVD music material never sounded so good. Of course if somebody is looking for booming bass for music it's not the right receiver (Yamaha is a better choice). So far, music sounds great through my Paradigm speakers and a lot better than my former 2800 (but I'm sure a 3806 or 4305 would sound even better).
As far as sound for movies is concerned it's just unbelievable compared to my old 2800. I'm still using a 5.1 setup but it never sounded that clear and my powered subwoofer never sounded that 'punchy'.

Hi, AV Land

What's the Paradigm set you're using with 2807 ? And what's the sub ?
Do you think that the receiver gives them enough power ?

I have 3803 myself, with Paradigm set: Monitors 9, CC370, Mini Monitors, Mini Monitors (Zone 2) and the Carver's Dominator D-12 sub. 3803 has the same 110W/ch as 2807, but it's much older.
I thought about upgrading to 2807, but if it's the same power, similar sound capabilities and the HDMI switching in 2807 is nothing but the trouble (so far) - what's the point ? I'll probably wait untill HD DVD/HDMI dust settles down, and then decide.

Listening to sound opinions, preferring sound of music ...
post #297 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post

I hooked up a DirecTV box (HR10-250) via HDMI to the 2807 and assigned the HDMI input. Picture looks good; however, I don't get any sound through the HDMI cable.

I finally had to run an optical.

It was very late by the time I had everything wired (new speakers, fishing wires) and I glanced through the manual and I read something that said the 2807 will not pass audio over HDMI but that cant be true? Was that for composite up conversion only?

Does anybody have audio running over HDMI to their 2807?

One of the many problems with the HR10-250's HDMI is that it does not pass audio over HDMI....you have to use a optical
post #298 of 4119 Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Fan View Post

Hi, AV Land

What's the Paradigm set you're using with 2807 ? And what's the sub ?
Do you think that the receiver gives them enough power ?

Pretty much the same thing as your setup: Monitor 9s, CC350, Mini-Monitors, no zone 2, Paradigm PW-2200 sub.

Enough power? Well it's enough for me and actually the Mini Monitors are rated at 100W max so you have to be careful. I don't like to listen to very loud music but some speakers when you don't drive them hard they don't sound good which is not the case here. As for the sub, it's got it's own power but somehow it sounds better than being driven by my old 2800 (might be just some crossover setting).
post #299 of 4119 Old 04-08-2006, 09:16 PM

More about the SUB. For awhile I didn't seem to be getting anything out of the sub. I knew it was working as when I did the auto set up, all the speakers, including the Sub did their little beeping thing in turn.
However, with real music, the sub seemed gone. Again with a little help from Magnolia, I was able to navigate the speaker set up and increase the gain on the sub (careful you don't erase the rest of your automatic set up by mistake.
The 2807 is a powerful, flexible AVR, but the deepest buring pit in hell is reserved for the team that put the manual and iterface together.
post #300 of 4119 Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Just because the HDMI issue won't seem to fall away from this thread, I thought people might want to have a glance over at:

Motorola & Scientific Atlanta 8300HD HDMI switching issues (and there's links to the same problem with other models as well.

Note that the issue has nothing at all to do with the receiver... Denon's HDMI implimentation does not require any fixing as some people seem to be stating.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page