The "Official" Denon AVR-2807 Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 4117 Old 04-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Only problems I've seen seem to be down to Set Top boxes which don't work with HDMI Repeaters (which is what the Receiver acts as) or if you try to feed the Receiver a non-standard signal via DVI/HDMI. These aren't the fault of the Receiver. Have a read here about the Set Top boxes:-

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=21194

No idea what the Version II Series is supposed to be about, first I've heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 4117 Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase H View Post

You can switch Inputs (DVD, CD, DBS etc) from the remote but not select a different video source whilst you're listening to audio on another.

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand this.. If my Xbox (Component1 for video and Digital1 for audio, let's say) is set as the "DBS" input, I can select "DBS" from the remote and have the signal feed from both Component1 and Digital1.. right?

However, if I want to listen to the xbox (playing mp3s), but then switch to a DVD (Component2, let's say), I would have to select "DBS" from the remote, but then use the "Video Selector" on the front of the unit to switch it to DVD... and I would then have video from Component2 (DVD) and audio from Digital1 (Xbox)?
post #333 of 4117 Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erab610 View Post

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand this.. If my Xbox (Component1 for video and Digital1 for audio, let's say) is set as the "DBS" input, I can select "DBS" from the remote and have the signal feed from both Component1 and Digital1.. right?

Yep.

Quote:

However, if I want to listen to the xbox (playing mp3s), but then switch to a DVD (Component2, let's say), I would have to select "DBS" from the remote, but then use the "Video Selector" on the front of the unit to switch it to DVD... and I would then have video from Component2 (DVD) and audio from Digital1 (Xbox)?

Yep. You got it. It's quite handy. I'll often listen to a CD but watch satellite TV via my Denon.
post #334 of 4117 Old 04-16-2006, 06:51 PM

Does anybody have some experience with the Logitech Harmony 880 controlling the 2807? I went to their web site and took their 'test drive' but they seem to have the 2807 inputs wrong (like TV/DBS on the same input for example and there are many more).
post #335 of 4117 Old 04-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Land View Post

Does anybody have some experience with the Logitech Harmony 880 controlling the 2807? I went to their web site and took their 'test drive' but they seem to have the 2807 inputs wrong (like TV/DBS on the same input for example and there are many more).

I had my 880 programmed for the AVR 884/1804 and found the settings worked for the 2807 (when I upgraded) as well so I never used the Harmony site 2807 info.
post #336 of 4117 Old 04-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Holy moly, I just looked that thing up... $250US for a remote control?? Ye gads! I've been noting how much I like the 2807's remote control. It's versatile, easy to figure out and use, and controls everything I own. I generally hate receiver remotes as they're a nightmare of confusion, but this one is in my good books.
post #337 of 4117 Old 04-17-2006, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Land View Post

When you do a setup, you can rename these to anything you want, or add any you want in the extra space. Then setup will take each one and ask for a command that activates it. Example: TV/VDP, what button? Answer for me, VDP.
post #338 of 4117 Old 04-17-2006, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hayes View Post

I posted this on a different thread and got no response. Since is pertains to the 2807, I'm posting it here. Can any one verify this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef
It is my understanding that the Denon receivers have a problem with HDMI switching, and that this will be corrected in an updated version II series. It seems to have a syncing problem of some sort with various inputs. Are you finding this for any other formats? Perhaps you should return your receiver and wait for the newer release that is supposed to happen shortly.

I was planning on purchasing a Denon 2807 in the next few days. Is the updated version II series a software or hardware upgrade? Please explain more about this issue.

I set up my new 2807 over the weekend, connected via HDMI to my Sony DVD changer, my HD DirecTivo, and my Samsung 4674 DLP TV. After getting the set-up right, no synch problems and sound and video come through as they ought to. Next up, speakers...... But that will have to wait for the bank account to refill.

Scott
post #339 of 4117 Old 04-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanko View Post

Maybe it is because of the 2807 newness, but the database "turn-on" command is very sluggish. I had to program a second "on" command of my own into the string. This was not a problem with my Denon 1602, and I have an email into Harmony asking for help.

Harmony Level 2 Tech support did solve my problem. There is a new set of updated 2807 commands and after the tech tweaked them just for me (about 30 minutes on phone and computer) all is back to normal.

I added "User Mode" commands to my startup and get perfect results everytime.

Very Nice.
post #340 of 4117 Old 04-18-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post

Yes, the SA8300HD units were coming back with sync problems. But, it really is all about what monitor you are using. It depends on how quickly the monitor can digitize the information. And the problem is specific to the HDMI outputs on the cable box.

Is the audio/video sychronization a problem only with this particular box or do I have cause to worry also with my VIP622DVR?

--- Brevity is the soul of wit ---
post #341 of 4117 Old 04-19-2006, 04:59 PM

hey guys, did anyone have problem with the subwoofer output when played in Stereo, Direct, of Pure Direct? I had mine DVD audio runs through optical. The sub. setting on the receiver is LFE+Front, the sub is active when I switch to surround, anything but 2-CH mode.

Then when i set LFE Only in the Speaker Configuration, the SW wasn't active in all listening modes and sources. I have a JBL PB10 Active SW running a single cable from the SW output of the receiver and then split to L+R on the SW side. Thanks for your inputs

T
post #342 of 4117 Old 04-20-2006, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqh_2001 View Post

hey guys, did anyone have problem with the subwoofer output when played in Stereo, Direct, of Pure Direct? I had mine DVD audio runs through optical. The sub. setting on the receiver is LFE+Front, the sub is active when I switch to surround, anything but 2-CH mode.

Then when i set LFE Only in the Speaker Configuration, the SW wasn't active in all listening modes and sources. I have a JBL PB10 Active SW running a single cable from the SW output of the receiver and then split to L+R on the SW side. Thanks for your inputs

T

Go into the Advanced Playback option via the OSD and to 2ch Direct/Stereo and select the Custom option and set the Fronts - Large, SW - Yes, Subwoofer Mode - LFE+MAIN. In that menu you can also select the Crossover and Speaker Distances for the Front Left and Right channels.
post #343 of 4117 Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Harmony Level 2 Tech support did solve my problem. There is a new set of updated 2807 commands and after the tech tweaked them just for me (about 30 minutes on phone and computer) all is back to normal.

Very Nice.

How do you get the updated codes into the Harmony? Do you have to do a complete setup for the 2807 again? Thanks for any info.

-- Rich

Cheers! Big Rich
post #344 of 4117 Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlike View Post

How do you get the updated codes into the Harmony? Do you have to do a complete setup for the 2807 again? Thanks for any info.

-- Rich

The improved codes were added by the tech as a 2807 receiver and he deleted other 2807 receiver to avoid confusion. One can only assume that the new codes are available to anyone who is adding a 2807 to the setup. One thing I did notice about the new codes and this would be a tale-tale-sign for anyone checking old to new, there are missing commands.

With my old Denon 1602, I had the "select preset 1-8" commands available for my tuner. When I first got the 2807 commands, this was still an option. I thought it strange since it was not on the factory remote, but I liked it and programmed it on my LCD screen with station names. Neat.

When I got the new commands, it was missing. And yes, you do have to redo everything which sounds far worse than it really is because everything, with the exception of the 2807, remains intact.
post #345 of 4117 Old 04-21-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erab610 View Post

Cany any 2807 owners comment on the ability to set unique crossovers for each channel?

My main speakers are a lot closer to "full range" than my rear satellites. They're rated down to about 35Hz, while my rears are only rated down to 60Hz.

Can I set the seperate crossovers accordingly, or will I have to set a "universal" crossover that will handle the "weak link" (my satellites).

Yes. You can set different crossovers for different speakers.
post #346 of 4117 Old 04-23-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase H View Post

Go into the Advanced Playback option via the OSD and to 2ch Direct/Stereo and select the Custom option and set the Fronts - Large, SW - Yes, Subwoofer Mode - LFE+MAIN. In that menu you can also select the Crossover and Speaker Distances for the Front Left and Right channels.

Thanks alot Jase, I'll try it when I have time
post #347 of 4117 Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Very Nice.

Too bad we can't printout config files because I'd like to compare. I bought the 880 last weekend and so far it is a nightmare with my 2807. After renaming the inputs (because Logitech has them all wrong) the device switching works ok and is consistent but I have some weird things happening. I get parameters changed without reason. For example (and this is just one of many) last night I switched from DVD to TV and could'nt get any sound. Looking at the 'Digital Input' settings on the 2807, TV was set to OFF while it should have been set to COAX1 as it has been since day 1. I resetted it, redid the same operation (switching from DVD to TV) and all was ok??? Have you seen that kind of weird behavior so far using the 880 with the 2807?

I'm worried that since Logitech has their inputs wrong they might also have other settings wrong for our new receiver...
post #348 of 4117 Old 04-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
'Picked up a 2807 yesterday at Sound Advice - $925 plus tax. I did the usual AVS agonizing before I pulled the trigger (Denon's great/Denon sucks and blah blah blah.) I've had several mid line Yamahas through the years and most recently a Panansonic XR70. This is definitely better than the Yamahas by a factor of about 2 (older Yammies certainly) and about 3 times better than the Panny (sorry, hard to quantify.) Does a superb job with music and dolby digital (prolly a bit better with music.) The HDMI upconversion also has very good image quality and I think will allow me to eliminate both my Xbox 360 VGA and my HD TIVO HDMI cable runs.

So anyway, my agony has turned to ecstacy with this bucket 'o bolts. Yes it is quite deep/complicated/confusing trudging through all the settings/remote/parameters. Alot of versatility here too though. Bottom line is audiophile caliber with swiss army knife features.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post24741865
post #349 of 4117 Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 PM

Has anyone tried the zone2 video output or monitor output using the RCA (yellow) composite video on the 2807. I've tried and tried and nothing displays. Zone 2 in on and in multi mode with the correct source input. Still nothing. Has anyone had success with this?
post #350 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 AM

Well I did it. I ran about and bought the 2807. I'm redoing my basement and I'm doing the finishing touches and the carpet is coming next week, so I haven't had a chance to set it up and try it out yet.
post #351 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamsgerg View Post

Has anyone tried the zone2 video output or monitor output using the RCA (yellow) composite video on the 2807. I've tried and tried and nothing displays. Zone 2 in on and in multi mode with the correct source input. Still nothing. Has anyone had success with this?

Zone 2 Update: Anyone attempting to use Zone 2 should be aware of the following:

Zone 2 does not work with digital inputs. So if your sources are connected with HDMI, digial audio, or compsite video, you will not be able to output thru Zone 2. You will need a second set of composite or S-video cables to support the Zone 2 output. So much for simplifying the cable mess using HDMI. Now I need to use HDMI AND composite!
post #352 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 08:29 AM

Anyone have a recommendation of a DVD or two that'll really show what the 2807 can do? I have a 7.1 setup and want to be able to awe my guests
post #353 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoard1 View Post

Anyone have a recommendation of a DVD or two that'll really show what the 2807 can do? I have a 7.1 setup and want to be able to awe my guests

I'd recommend Gladiator. The "Auto" mode on my 2807 sets the audio to DTS Neo6.1 and it's absolutely amazing, particularly the opening battle scenes.
post #354 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwyatt View Post

I'd recommend Gladiator. The "Auto" mode on my 2807 sets the audio to DTS Neo6.1 and it's absolutely amazing, particularly the opening battle scenes.

Thanks. What DVD player do you have and how do you connect it to the 2807 for Audio purposes?
post #355 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM

My first test with the 2807 was gladiator also!!
post #356 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks. What DVD player do you have and how do you connect it to the 2807 for Audio purposes?

I am using a Samsung DVD-HD860 connected to the 2807 by HDMI. The pass through is clean and simple and I really like how the 2807 picks the best audio processing. However, I still can't get over the fact that my HDMI cable cost more than the DVD player.
post #357 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 576
So has anyone used the 2807 with the new Toshiba HD DVD player? I'm thinking about replacing my 3805 with the 2807. Will it process the PCM 5.1 24bit/96khz signal over HDMi with DPLIIx to get 7.1 sound?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #358 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwyatt View Post

I am using a Samsung DVD-HD860 connected to the 2807 by HDMI. The pass through is clean and simple and I really like how the 2807 picks the best audio processing. However, I still can't get over the fact that my HDMI cable cost more than the DVD player.

I pretty much gave up on HDMI switching with the 2807. I spent countless hours trying to figure out bugs which occured intermittently (mostly sync problems I guess). Then I decided to hook up my Cable Box HDMI directly to the TV as well as my Panasonic DVD-S77 (my TV has 2 HDMI inputs). The picture looks better and I never had a problem since. I only use the 2807 video switching for Component video (VCR, DVD Recorder, etc) and this works fine.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2807 but mostly for it's sound quality.
post #359 of 4117 Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Return of the King really shakes the house during the Pelanor Fields battle.

King Kong was cool too.

Quote:

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #360 of 4117 Old 04-29-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post

Is anyone here inputting component at 1080i and upconverting it to HDMI? I've got an older HD D* stb outputting 1080i via component and I can get the signal thru the 2807 component outputs (so I know its going thru the unit) but I get zip, nada from the HDMI output. I currently have two HDMI inputs and they work great but I was hoping to have this work as well. The OSD upconverts correctly it just doesn't work for my component based STB. Any ideas?

Yes, this is the configuration I use. 1080i component from Comcast STB to 2807, then HDMI to Sony plasma HDTV. Works fine for me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page