The "Official" Denon AVR-2807 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4119 Old 04-29-2006, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Panasonic DVD-S77 has external outputs for the various speakers (sw, fr, fl, ctr, etc). Since the 2807 has ext. inputs as well, has anybody tested whether it made any noticeable difference vs optical or coax?

I'd like to get the best sound out of my receiver but since I'm all out of cables I'd hate to buy some more for nothing (not to mention the extra cable mess which my wife is already complaining about)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4119 Old 04-29-2006, 06:11 PM

Ok, I picked one up for $800 from a local dealer. Well, I also got a 5 yr warranty from Phillips for and extra hundred. This will be replacing my Onkyo 700. I will hook it up as soon as I get my front front satellite back from Polk (second time blowing these). Oh, and I'm going to need a dvi to hdmi cable. Anybody recommend one? TIA

--- Brevity is the soul of wit ---
post #363 of 4119 Old 04-29-2006, 08:55 PM

OK..this is starting to get more than just a little confusing.

While Denon and everyone else promotes the HDMI and up-conversion capabalities of the 2807, I am starting to wonder what that all means.

There is currently no 1080p source, so it's abilities to handle that are useless at this time.

It's my understanding also that it really does nothing to up-convert even 480i to 480p or any quality better. You get what you get from source input and the only benefit of the 2807 is being able to pass it on via HDMI cable to video/audio source.

Maybe I am misunderstanding capabilities (it is very confusing for a newbie like myself). However, if the only benefit is to pass on signel/quality received via HDMI to TV, not really sure what one is gaining here (i.e., have cable hooked up to HDMI on TV today, as well as DVD player).

What am I missing here? Should I be looking at another AV receiver for improvement in the quality of video, or looking at upgrading various components? By the way, TV is supposedly 1080P capable, though I am not sure what that really means anymore.

Need help!!

Thanks

Greg
post #364 of 4119 Old 04-30-2006, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
greg

You're right, many who are experienced with this stuff have been asking similar questions. The real issue is that we are 2-3 years (if lucky) away from HDMI standard stabilizing. Manufacturers have to sell product now so they can't wait for 3 years until everyone agrees what is right. So they're putting out what they can now and taking pains to ensure compatibility with lots of other inputs/outputs.

If the technology were perfected, they could start selling HDMI focused AVR/DVD players and start reducing costs by eliminating the 3 dozen other connectors they have on backs of all the other units. Until that day(if it ever comes), compatibility will be the game.

The issues you bring up are why I've decided to wait it out. That said, if you need a receiver now, you've got high likelyhood this 2807 receiver won't be a boat anchor 3 years from now.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #365 of 4119 Old 04-30-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0320 View Post

OK..this is starting to get more than just a little confusing.

While Denon and everyone else promotes the HDMI and up-conversion capabalities of the 2807, I am starting to wonder what that all means.

There is currently no 1080p source, so it's abilities to handle that are useless at this time.

Not true. Home computers have been outputting 1080p for a long time. I have mine being switched through my 2807.

Quote:

It's my understanding also that it really does nothing to up-convert even 480i to 480p or any quality better. You get what you get from source input and the only benefit of the 2807 is being able to pass it on via HDMI cable to video/audio source.

You're right in that you upconverting 480i to 480p (or any other resolution) won't magically improve the quality of the picture. It's purely a convenience feature as many HDTVs don't accept 480i over HDMI.

Quote:

Maybe I am misunderstanding capabilities (it is very confusing for a newbie like myself). However, if the only benefit is to pass on signel/quality received via HDMI to TV, not really sure what one is gaining here (i.e., have cable hooked up to HDMI on TV today, as well as DVD player).

Again it depends on your individual preferences and circumstances. I have the 2807 switching all my audio and video sources (currently 5 in total), for two principle reasons. (i) I like all the audio to go through the receiver. I don't use the TV speakers for anything. (ii) There's not enough space on the TV stand for all the components, so they're in a rack of to the side. Running 1 HDMI cable to the TV is a lot easier than running all the video cables separately.

Quote:

What am I missing here? Should I be looking at another AV receiver for improvement in the quality of video, or looking at upgrading various components? By the way, TV is supposedly 1080P capable, though I am not sure what that really means anymore.

What model is the TV? There are a few on the market now that have a native resolution of 1080p, but whether or not you can actually feed it a 1080p source is another matter. The HP MD5880 that I have will accept 1080p over HDMI, for example, but whether there will be anything other than my PC that can produce a 1080p that the TV can handle remains to be seen.

~Ky

~Ky
post #366 of 4119 Old 04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone heard about the Denon 3830 ? I think that I have read that it is due out this summer and that it will have all of the latest....HDMI 1.3 and the etceteras.
post #367 of 4119 Old 05-01-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0320 View Post

It's my understanding also that it really does nothing to up-convert even 480i to 480p or any quality better. You get what you get from source input...

someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

I believe what you're talking about is upscaling.. The 2807 will not do that. What it will do, is upconvert. You can feed it a composite, s-video, component, etc, signal and the unit will upconvert the signal to HDMI.

What it will not do is take a 480i resolution signal and upscale it to, say, 720p.
post #368 of 4119 Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erab610 View Post

someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

I believe what you're talking about is upscaling.. The 2807 will not do that. What it will do, is upconvert. You can feed it a composite, s-video, component, etc, signal and the unit will upconvert the signal to HDMI.

What it will not do is take a 480i resolution signal and upscale it to, say, 720p.

You are correct. However, if you have the "i/p convert" feature set to on it will deinterlace a 480i signal to a 480p signal.
post #369 of 4119 Old 05-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

By the way, won't the 3806 do the same thing as far as upconversion and the 480i to 480p thing.

Wish they would come out with the 3807...can't afford to jump all the way to the 4306. And if one did, how long would it do the job before time to ugrade again.

Greg
post #370 of 4119 Old 05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Won't the 3807 be out in August?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #371 of 4119 Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

Has anyone heard about the Denon 3830 ? I think that I have read that it is due out this summer and that it will have all of the latest....HDMI 1.3 and the etceteras.

that's the first i hear of the 3830. a google search came up empty. it sure would nice to get an HDMI 1.3 model to the market.
post #372 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 04:46 PM

I am hiding the components in a closet about 30-40ft away from infocus projector.

I need to have some connection point in the theater area for a ps2 and/or ps3 so kids can play game and use controllers.

I would like to route this back to the denon 2807 and then to the projector.

I want to use the 2807 for all my switching.

What will i need in the theater area so some one can hook up a ps2/ps3?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Rick
post #373 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaffoon View Post

I am hiding the components in a closet about 30-40ft away from infocus projector.

I need to have some connection point in the theater area for a ps2 and/or ps3 so kids can play game and use controllers.

I would like to route this back to the denon 2807 and then to the projector.

I want to use the 2807 for all my switching.

What will i need in the theater area so some one can hook up a ps2/ps3?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Rick

It depends on what output cables you want to use from the PS2. For video you can get composite, s-video and component connectors for the PS2, all of which can be switched by the Denon. Assuming that the PS2 will also be 30-40 ft away from the projector you'll need to get extension cables whichever method you choose, with composite being the cheapest and component being the most expensive. For audio you have the choice of analogue stereo output (using RCA plugs) or using the digital optical output. Again, you'll need to extend these to the receiver.

Alternatively, you could put the PS2 in the closet and use either wireless controllers or controller extension cables. This might be cheaper and simpler, but I don't know what the effective range of the wireless controllers would be.

The PS3 will have similar outputs to the PS2, with the addition of HDMI.

~Ky

~Ky
post #374 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyris View Post

It depends on what output cables you want to use from the PS2. For video you can get composite, s-video and component connectors for the PS2, all of which can be switched by the Denon. Assuming that the PS2 will also be 30-40 ft away from the projector you'll need to get extension cables whichever method you choose, with composite being the cheapest and component being the most expensive. For audio you have the choice of analogue stereo output (using RCA plugs) or using the digital optical output. Again, you'll need to extend these to the receiver.

Alternatively, you could put the PS2 in the closet and use either wireless controllers or controller extension cables. This might be cheaper and simpler, but I don't know what the effective range of the wireless controllers would be.

The PS3 will have similar outputs to the PS2, with the addition of HDMI.

~Ky

thanks ky,

where do i get these extenders and what are called?

I would want component and optical or coaxial for audio, i think?

I would like it so that it would wall mount so if a friend brings over xbox 360 or ps2 or ps3, that they could hook it up to the wall and start playing.

thanks,

rick
post #375 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:

thanks ky,

where do i get these extenders and what are called?

I would want component and optical or coaxial for audio, i think?

I would like it so that it would wall mount so if a friend brings over xbox 360 or ps2 or ps3, that they could hook it up to the wall and start playing.

thanks,

rick

The PS2 doesn't have coaxial output - only optical. Neither the PS2 and the Xbox don't have any connectors built-in - the owner buys a breakout cable that has the connectors they want, so you either have to rely on your friends having the correct breakout cable or you have to buy them yourself. They're pretty widely available from most electronics/video game stores, or you can buy them online. Google will tell you where.

I tend to get cables from Monoprice (they have an ad at the top of this page - click on it). They should have the cables you need. You'll probably want some 50' component cables and maybe three jack-to-jack RCA couplers (which provides the easiest way to turn a standard cable into an extension cable).

~Ky

~Ky
post #376 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:

The PS2 doesn't have coaxial output - only optical. Neither the PS2 and the Xbox don't have any connectors built-in - the owner buys a breakout cable that has the connectors they want, so you either have to rely on your friends having the correct breakout cable or you have to buy them yourself. They're pretty widely available from most electronics/video game stores, or you can buy them online. Google will tell you where.

I tend to get cables from Monoprice (they have an ad at the top of this page - click on it). They should have the cables you need. You'll probably want some 50' component cables and maybe three jack-to-jack RCA couplers (which provides the easiest way to turn a standard cable into an extension cable).

~Ky

thanks for your help i appeciate it

rick
post #377 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 PM

I tried to connect Adelphia's Motorola DCT6412 HD-DVR box to my 2807 (HDMI to HDMI) so I could use the 2807 to HDMI switch between cable and my xbox 360, but when those two are connected, i'm getting a blue band across my screen (with the correct channel showing in the background) saying something about compatiblity or codes or something. But when I connect my DVR directly to my Panasonic 50 inch plasma (HDMI to HDMI), it works fine.

Anyone know what the issues is or what to do?
post #378 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddD View Post

One of the many problems with the HR10-250's HDMI is that it does not pass audio over HDMI....you have to use a optical

I just experienced this problem with my new 2807. I don't think it it the HR10-250's problem. Before getting the 2807, I had the HR10-250 connected directly to my TV with only the HDMI cable and it passed audio just fine.

Has anyone gotten a DirecTV HR10-250 to pass the audio signal to the 2807 over HDMI? How?

BTW - as Todd says, optical works fine. Would rather not have to use the extra cable.

Thanks,
Mark
post #379 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNewbie1 View Post

I tried to connect Adelphia's Motorola DCT6412 HD-DVR box to my 2807 (HDMI to HDMI) so I could use the 2807 to HDMI switch between cable and my xbox 360, but when those two are connected, i'm getting a blue band across my screen (with the correct channel showing in the background) saying something about compatiblity or codes or something. But when I connect my DVR directly to my Panasonic 50 inch plasma (HDMI to HDMI), it works fine.

Anyone know what the issues is or what to do?

It's a known issue with the cable box - they weren't originally designed to be used with HDMI repeaters (which is what the Denon is acting as) and so it only works if you connect it directly to the TV. There's apparently a firmware fix from Motorola which solves the problem but you have to wait until the cable company pushes it out to your box. In the meantime, you'll have to make do with component if you want to use the Denon for switching.

~Ky

~Ky
post #380 of 4119 Old 05-04-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knmlee View Post

I just experienced this problem with my new 2807. I don't think it it the HR10-250's problem. Before getting the 2807, I had the HR10-250 connected directly to my TV with only the HDMI cable and it passed audio just fine.

Has anyone gotten a DirecTV HR10-250 to pass the audio signal to the 2807 over HDMI? How?

BTW - as Todd says, optical works fine. Would rather not have to use the extra cable.

Thanks,
Mark

There's a setting on the Denon that tells it whether to decode the audio from HDMI or whether to pass it through to the TV. You have to choose one or the other globally I think. It's in the HDMI In Assign menu, HDMI Audio can be set to AMP or TV.

~Ky

~Ky
post #381 of 4119 Old 05-05-2006, 01:33 AM

Quote:

There's a setting on the Denon that tells it whether to decode the audio from HDMI or whether to pass it through to the TV. You have to choose one or the other globally I think. It's in the HDMI In Assign menu, HDMI Audio can be set to AMP or TV.

~Ky

I have the HDMI Audio setting on AMP. Still no sound. It doesn't work on the TV setting either. I've tried both HDMI inputs. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
post #382 of 4119 Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knmlee View Post

I have the HDMI Audio setting on AMP. Still no sound. It doesn't work on the TV setting either. I've tried both HDMI inputs. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Hmm, curious. There's a thread here which perhaps offers an explanation, but no other workaround other than using an optical cable.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ostID=10138498

~Ky

~Ky
post #383 of 4119 Old 05-05-2006, 08:50 AM

maybe soomeone can help me on this as well.

I have M&K LCR-750THX speakers that are 4 ohm

i called denon they said none of their receivers are rated to run 4 ohm speakers and it will shut itself down after a while.

i called the place that sold me the M&K's and they said any newer receiver over $300 should run them just fine.

can you help with this one?

thanks,

rick
post #384 of 4119 Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:

maybe soomeone can help me on this as well.

I have M&K LCR-750THX speakers that are 4 ohm

i called denon they said none of their receivers are rated to run 4 ohm speakers and it will shut itself down after a while.

i called the place that sold me the M&K's and they said any newer receiver over $300 should run them just fine.

can you help with this one?

thanks,

rick

On page 7 of the Denon manual it says that speakers with less than the rated impedance may cause the receiver to overheat and shutdown. This has nothing to do with the cost or quality of the receiver as your dealer suggests - it's simply a design choice made by Denon. Given that most home hifi speakers are 8ohm you'd think it would be a safe decision. Nonetheless, the Denon *should* be able to drive 4ohm speakers. Just be aware that if you drive them too loud or don't give the Denon enough ventilation it might shut itself down.

If you still have problems there's a few things you can try. You can buy impedance matching transforms which can help make up the difference. They tend to be expensive and will affect signal quality somewhat. Or you could get a separate power amplifier that can handle the speakers and use the Denon as a pre-amp. Finally, if you have any spare speakers lying around you can hook them up in series to the M&Ks and this will have the effect of adding their respective impedances together. Otherwise you may just have to exchange your amp or your speakers.

Hope this helps,

~Ky

~Ky
post #385 of 4119 Old 05-05-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm a relative novice and forum newbie who is looking for excellent HT sound and simplified cable management. I have:

Sony 34" XBR with DVI in (plan to upgrade when prices come down)
Comcast Motorola 6412 PVR with DVI out
Series 2 Tivo (hope to upgrade to series 3)
Sony 5 disc DVD changer with HDMI out
Infinity Speakers (5.1 setup)
Harmony 880 remote

Looking at the Denon 2807 but I need help from the experts. I am assuming I need to run component from STB to the 2807 because of the HDMI issues but would like to use a DVI to HDMI cable if and when issues are resolved (will this work?)

I plan to use HDMI cable for DVD player. Will use composite for Tivo until Series 3 arrives and then plan on using HDMI or component depending on what happens with STB.

I Would like to use a HDMI to DVI cable from the 2807 to the TV which will clean up the cable mess I have currently. Will this work?

Your advice is appreciated.
post #386 of 4119 Old 05-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejay View Post

I'm a relative novice and forum newbie who is looking for excellent HT sound and simplified cable management. I have:

Sony 34" XBR with DVI in (plan to upgrade when prices come down)
Comcast Motorola 6412 PVR with DVI out
Series 2 Tivo (hope to upgrade to series 3)
Sony 5 disc DVD changer with HDMI out
Infinity Speakers (5.1 setup)
Harmony 880 remote

Looking at the Denon 2807 but I need help from the experts. I am assuming I need to run component from STB to the 2807 because of the HDMI issues but would like to use a DVI to HDMI cable if and when issues are resolved (will this work?)

I plan to use HDMI cable for DVD player. Will use composite for Tivo until Series 3 arrives and then plan on using HDMI or component depending on what happens with STB.

I Would like to use a HDMI to DVI cable from the 2807 to the TV which will clean up the cable mess I have currently. Will this work?

Your advice is appreciated.

It's kind of funny because I had the same goal when I bought the 2807: clean up the cable mess... I don't know your particular components but I have roughly the same setup (just different brands). The setup you're suggesting should work (it worked for me) at least intermittently....

Now, in my opinion (and this is only my personal experience with the 2807) if you already have a 880 and if your TV has enough inputs (mine has 2 HDMI, 2 COMP and various others) you should stick with the cable mess. I had so many intermittent sync problems with HDMI from all components that I bought a 880, rewired most components directly to my TV (except for my VCR and my DVD Recorder so I could dub) and everything has been working flawlessly since.

One of the best advantage I got from this (and I didn't realize it at first) is that I can now setup different parameters on my TV to suit each input depending on the source. For example, DVD is set to Cinema while my XBOX is set to a lot brighter setup. Of course this has nothing to do with the 2807 and depends on the capabilities of your TV set.

Resuts may vary....
post #387 of 4119 Old 05-05-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in SD View Post

What version is your 8300? Mine is 1.87.16.1. The 8300 issues HAVE been fixed, but whether or not your cable provider is USING the fixed firmware is a whole other issue.

My 8300 is the same version, and my 2807 will NOT pass the HDMI signal to my NEC HT1000 (which is HDCP compliant).

If I hook the 8300 directly to my NEC, the pictures comes thru just fine, if I go thru the 2807, I see NO picture.
post #388 of 4119 Old 05-06-2006, 03:07 AM

hello blokes! first post ever. I was wondering about the 2807 and its HDMI 1.1 capabilites. I read at dolby's website that, although a HDMI 1.1 machine can't receive upcoming hd formats such as dolby tru-hd, dts-hd with 8 channel lossless, it can receive these formats decoded as pcm-bitstreams over hdmi. Is this true at all that the 2807 can do this? that would be great to use a single cable (hdmi) between a hd-player and the 2807. I currently own a denon 2105 that carries a 5.1 "ext. in" connection. So the 2807 might have something similar but for hdmi and digital pcm-streams?

best regards,
/Pinnick

I want my next TV to have "smell the glove"-blacklevel. I got me an st50 and I think I can smell some leather in a not too far away distance somewhere.
post #389 of 4119 Old 05-06-2006, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnick View Post

hello blokes! first post ever. I was wondering about the 2807 and its HDMI 1.1 capabilites. I read at dolby's website that, although a HDMI 1.1 machine can't receive upcoming hd formats such as dolby tru-hd, dts-hd with 8 channel lossless, it can receive these formats decoded as pcm-bitstreams over hdmi. Is this true at all that the 2807 can do this? that would be great to use a single cable (hdmi) between a hd-player and the 2807. I currently own a denon 2105 that carries a 5.1 "ext. in" connection. So the 2807 might have something similar but for hdmi and digital pcm-streams?

best regards,
/Pinnick

Hi Pinnick, welcome to the forum. That's an excellent question. The Denon manual doesn't give many clues. The only thing it mentions about audio formats over HDMI is in relation to DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and SACD, and even then it just confirms that it can accept Dolby Digital, DTS, linear PCM and packed PCM. Given that it can accept up to 6 channels of PCM from a DVD-A disc you could assume that it would accept up to 8 PCM channels from an HD-DVD player. I can't test this right now but if no-one else comes up with a more substantial answer I can probably find out.

~Ky

~Ky
post #390 of 4119 Old 05-06-2006, 05:42 AM

Hi Kyris and thanks!

I reread the thread once again and hopefully found posts that answered the question. I am not sure 100% though still...
Anyway I am sorry. I should have read the thread in the first place.

But sure, if it was confirmed, Denon has got themselves another customer.

best regards,
/Pinnick

I want my next TV to have "smell the glove"-blacklevel. I got me an st50 and I think I can smell some leather in a not too far away distance somewhere.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page