The "Official" Denon AVR-2807 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 4127 Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you soooooooooooooo much, this was the last thing on my mind that I wanted to make sure before dropping so much money on a receiver (well, at least a lot for me anyway), now that I have piece of mind regarding the future proofness of this product, I can finally make my purchase without any regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4127 Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 AM

Does the Audyssey MultEQ XT work with DVD-Audio that sent over HDMI input?
post #453 of 4127 Old 06-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywood View Post

Does the Audyssey MultEQ XT work with DVD-Audio that sent over HDMI input?

Yes. The only area that is not possible is the analog Aux Input. That must be equalized manually.
post #454 of 4127 Old 06-03-2006, 02:48 PM

I posted this as part of my Projector discussion but thought it would be equally as important in this thread.

I will be using a Denon 2807 HDMI switching receiver with an Infocus IN76 Projector.

Is there a good reason why I should even run component to the PJ?

The Denon should upconvert everything to HDMI.

What are your thoughts?
post #455 of 4127 Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 AM

My contractor is wrapping up my new media room (18 x 18ft) I pulled wiring myself and put in HDMI to my new Ben Q 7700 projector with all the compatability issues I am uncovering, now I wish I had run component also- new DVD and new HD Direct cable box are HDMI also- after spending way to much time trying to figure out the bugs that HDMI has and the lack of answers from the mfg's, this is leaning me away from the Denon 2807. Instead of going HDMI through the receiver and getting stuck with a $1K AV receiver that is not supported/code upgradeable in the next year or two when HDMI 1.3 or next revision, and or getting stuck on digital audio issues or Directv new format not being supported etc etc etc, I am thinking get the best receiver for the $$ and buy a $200 HDMI switch keep my video signal digital and I can replace as becomes obsolete. Other than needing to change audio and video souce (learning remote with macros can handle???) anyone have any feedback good idea? Are you having the same concerns/issues regarding lack HDMI components working together or HDMI standard supported by cable companies etc?
post #456 of 4127 Old 06-05-2006, 06:43 PM

I just recieved my Oppo DVD player. As of now, still using my 15 year old Mitsubishi tv, I want to go from the Oppo to the Denon via HDMI, then out to the tv with S Video and rca plugs. Is that possible? Or do I need to stick with component between Oppo and Denon?
post #457 of 4127 Old 06-05-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamikey View Post

I just recieved my Oppo DVD player. As of now, still using my 15 year old Mitsubishi tv, I want to go from the Oppo to the Denon via HDMI, then out to the tv with S Video and rca plugs. Is that possible? Or do I need to stick with component between Oppo and Denon?

I never tried it but according to the manual it says: It is not possible to down-convert from HDMI input signal to the component, S-Video or composite video monitor output terminals.
post #458 of 4127 Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamikey View Post

, I want to go from the Oppo to the Denon via HDMI, then out to the tv with S Video and rca plugs. Is that possible? Or do I need to stick with component between Oppo and Denon?

The 2807 can not downconvert a HDMI input to a SVHS output.
post #459 of 4127 Old 06-06-2006, 07:07 AM

Hi everyone,

I just bought and received my AVR-2807 and I'm slowing putting together my home setup. I have one question about the setup of the receiver and probably some more in the future. (By the way, ABT Electronics - authorized dealer has it for $928 with their anniversary discount - cheapest price from an authorized dealer I've seen anywhere).

For speakers I have the following:
Front L/R: Polk RTi10
Center: Polk CSi5
Surround L/R: Polk FXi3
Currently I do not have any Surround Back Speakers.

I went through the Audessey setup process and it successfully completed. However, I've noticed that for many of the surround modes (DTS:Neo6 Music for example - currently just testing and have a portable CD player hooked up via analog inputs) the Max setting for the Master volume has been capped at +3.5dB. I know the manual says you may not be able to reach the theoretical max of the receiver (+18dB) but capping at +3.5dB is just way too low. I'm listening to music in the mode above and I can't get it anywhere near as loud as I want. I could probably get my TV to play louder than that. If I was watching a movie I'm sure it would sound even worse. I looked at the speaker settings the Audessey came up with and the highest setting it had was for the Center I believe at +3.0dB. If I add that to the max 3.5dB that is still way under the +18dB limit. Did I mess up with the automatic Audessey setup or am I doing something else wrong? With all the rave reviews about this receiver I'm sure it's something I'm not doing correctly. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #460 of 4127 Old 06-06-2006, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about the EQ settings that Audessey used? If there are substantial boosts to certain frequencies that would explain why your max volume is being cut.

Also +3.5 on the dial should be very loud if you have the proper voltage signal coming in from your CD player. Your portable unit probably is not putting out enough volume on its audio output jack. Normally when I've hooked up portable-type units before I need to put the volume around 90% (on the device) to get decent output from the receiver.

Jeremy Gillow
post #461 of 4127 Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 AM

I agree with jvgillow. +3.5 would be VERY loud.
post #462 of 4127 Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

I picked up an AVR 2807 today to use in my system. I'm having an odd problem, and was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

I am using the AVR 2807 between a Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player (w/ updated firmware) and a Mitsubishi television. Without the AVR in the HDMI chain, all discs play fine (i.e. running via HDMI straigt to the TV). With the AVR in the chain, AACS protected HD DVDs always fail to play, without an error message. Unprotected HD DVD (i.e. self-authored HD DVD-9 discs) play without problem.

Is this a known issue? It seems like the Denon AVR is breaking the HDCP compliance of the digital chain from the player to the display, but I really have no idea.
post #463 of 4127 Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

What about the EQ settings that Audessey used? If there are substantial boosts to certain frequencies that would explain why your max volume is being cut.

Also +3.5 on the dial should be very loud if you have the proper voltage signal coming in from your CD player. Your portable unit probably is not putting out enough volume on its audio output jack. Normally when I've hooked up portable-type units before I need to put the volume around 90% (on the device) to get decent output from the receiver.

Ahh...I should have thought of low line out voltage from the portable CD player myself. I just hooked up a DVD player and played some CDs from there. Now, I don't think my wife will let me go any higher than -6.0dB. The -3.5dB before is like -18dB now. Thanks for your help.
post #464 of 4127 Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post

I picked up an AVR 2807 today to use in my system. I'm having an odd problem, and was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

I am using the AVR 2807 between a Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player (w/ updated firmware) and a Mitsubishi television. Without the AVR in the HDMI chain, all discs play fine (i.e. running via HDMI straigt to the TV). With the AVR in the chain, AACS protected HD DVDs always fail to play, without an error message. Unprotected HD DVD (i.e. self-authored HD DVD-9 discs) play without problem.

Is this a known issue? It seems like the Denon AVR is breaking the HDCP compliance of the digital chain from the player to the display, but I really have no idea.

You may want to post this over in the HD DVD thread?

I have the same equipment new in the box I was looking to set up this weekend.

If there is going to be a problem, it would be good to know before I open them.
post #465 of 4127 Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 845
No problem with mine but I also have a VP30 in the chain before going to my Samsung display.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #466 of 4127 Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 AM

Hi, quick question I'm a very new user and just purchased the 2807, maybe a bad idea because this manual looks like something for NASA, anyway, the speakers I selected for this receiver are the Polk Audio RM6800. The Polk manual states I should connect the sub woofer to the front speaker connection and feed the surround speakers from the woofer, is this correct? Would not just use the sub out on the receiver and connect directly to the RCA plugs on woofer separately. This is a powered sub woofer I believe.

Assume I'm clueless about this area, as this is my first surround setup.

Thanks
post #467 of 4127 Old 06-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Just hooked up my 2807 and hooked up the D*TV H-20 via HDMI to the 2807 and I am having a "handshake" problem. Everytime I change inputs to the H-20 it resets the H-20. I tested the H-20 via HDMI straight to the TV with no problems. I have an upconvert DVD via HDMI to the 2807 with no problems.

Any advice would be great. I can go component and optical to the 2807 but I purchased the 2807 because of the 2 HDMI slots.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I didn't have time to go through the 400+ posts.

Thanks
post #468 of 4127 Old 06-08-2006, 12:17 PM

For what I read here, there are issues with HDMI and STB's, the problem is not your receiver, it's the cable/sat box not following HDMI specs correctly, most likely to cover up a hole in copyright protection. Don't hold you breathe waiting for a fix.

post #469 of 4127 Old 06-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medude View Post

The Polk manual states I should connect the sub woofer to the front speaker connection and feed the surround speakers from the woofer, is this correct? Would not just use the sub out on the receiver and connect directly to the RCA plugs on woofer separately. This is a powered sub woofer I believe.

I'd connect to the Denon's SW Pre-Out personally.
post #470 of 4127 Old 06-09-2006, 09:06 AM

I have nearly the same combination... Denon 2807 & Polk RM6900 surround system (7.1). I have lots of 2-channel stereo experience but this is my first surround system and first sub woofer experience.

I suggest re-reading the Polk manual carefully. What they recommend is to set the front speakers to "large" and subwoofer to "none" on the 2807 set-up. That will direct low frequency output from ALL channels to the front left & right channels. THEN they recommend hooking the subwoofer (via speaker cables) to the front left and front right channel amp outputs AND hooking the front left & right speakers to the respective subwoofer outputs. They recommend doing that to avoid multiple low-pass filters in series.

I currently have my system hooked up that way and it sounds fine to me on movie soundtracks. But I'm not sure it is optimum. I'm going to try alternative set-ups and see how they compare.
post #471 of 4127 Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post

I exchanged the 2807 for an Onkyo 803. On the plus side, the Onkyo handles the HDMI switching and HD DVD playback flawless. On the downside, it won't mix 5.1 PCM into 7.1 output channels (I.e. pro logic / neo 6). Who knows why not.
post #472 of 4127 Old 06-09-2006, 10:29 AM

I just purchased the 2807, and thus far am very happy with it. One point of confusion for me relatd to the "optimal" connection of my main (front) speakers. I have Definitive Technology BP2002's. For those unfamiliar, they are a floor standing model with built in side-firing subwoofers (and internal amps). Doing a basic connection to the 2807 with speaker cable drives the tweets, mids and sub's using an internal crossover obviously. However, the speakers both have a "LFE" input and a "subwoofer" input. In addition, there are level adjustments for the sub and also LFE. How would you guys suggest hooking these up to the 2807? Would I simply connect the speakers with speaker cable and also run an RCA to the LFE inputs from the 2807's sub out?

Thx for the help.
post #473 of 4127 Old 06-09-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla92 View Post

Just hooked up my 2807 and hooked up the D*TV H-20 via HDMI to the 2807 and I am having a "handshake" problem. Everytime I change inputs to the H-20 it resets the H-20. I tested the H-20 via HDMI straight to the TV with no problems. I have an upconvert DVD via HDMI to the 2807 with no problems.

Any advice would be great. I can go component and optical to the 2807 but I purchased the 2807 because of the 2 HDMI slots.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I didn't have time to go through the 400+ posts.

Thanks

I've got the DTV HD box with the TIVO. I think you need to set the DTV Receiver to output in 1080i all the time (I believe it is a setting you can change). This way the Denon is not constantly trying to switch resolutions and blank out the screen when you change channels in different resolutions.

In addition to this, there seems to be a problem (at least with the HD Boxes with the Tivo) with the audio over HDMI. I had to connect an optical audio and the HDMI to the 2807 A little inconvenient, but gets the job done. I spent quite a bit of time searching for the answer to get both audio and video over HDMI from the DTV box and just gave up. I have a SONY CD Changer hooked up via HDMI and get both audio and video over it, no problem.

Hope this helps,

Jason
post #474 of 4127 Old 06-10-2006, 01:33 PM

Someone please help!! I have searched here and I can't find a solution.

I am just setting up the following and need some video help:

Optoma HD72
Oppo DVD
Denon 2807

I am running DVI to HDMI out of the Oppo to the Denon and HDMI from the Denon to the Optoma and cannot get the video signal thru. I have setup the onscreen on the Denon to select the HDMI input from the Oppo and output at HDMI but still no solution. Can someone please help? What am I missing??

Thanks!
post #475 of 4127 Old 06-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckswigg View Post

Someone please help!! I have searched here and I can't find a solution.

I am just setting up the following and need some video help:

Optoma HD72
Oppo DVD
Denon 2807

I am running DVI to HDMI out of the Oppo to the Denon and HDMI from the Denon to the Optoma and cannot get the video signal thru. I have setup the onscreen on the Denon to select the HDMI input from the Oppo and output at HDMI but still no solution. Can someone please help? What am I missing??

Thanks!

I checked out the Optoma website for the manual/spec sheet of the HD72. Under detailed specifications, it says : "I/O Connectors HDMI, DVI-I w/HDCP, Component Video, Composite video (RCA), S-Video, RS-232, Two IR receivers, Dual 12+12V trigger relays". Notice that after HDMI it does not say HDMI w/HDCP, but after DVI it does say HDCP compliant, so it could just be that your Optoma projector can only accept HDCP protected digital signals through its DVI port rather than its HDMI port (in which case all you would have to do is use an
HDMI-DVI adapter before connecting to the HD72 and you should get a video signal). The weird thing is that in the manual for the HD72 it says on pg. 6 "HDMI and DVI support with HDCP compliant" which could be interpreted as both HDMI and DVI being compliant or just the DVI portion being HDCP compliant, depending on how you read it. Also, looking at the spec sheet for the Oppo DV-970HD (I'm not sure which Oppo DVD player you have) it says that it's Digital Output is HDMI with HDCP so if anything in the chain isn't HDCP compliant as the HDMI port on the Optoma HD72 may not be, then you wouldn't get a video signal via that port. This is just my opinion, hopefully some other readers on this forum can give their advice, if not you can just get an HDMI-DVI adapter from Walmart or Target (they have really lax return policies) and test it out and if it doesn't work then you know something else is the problem.
post #476 of 4127 Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 PM

While my sub is working great when watching movies or HDTV, it does not appear to work when I am playing my CDs. What setting do I use to get it to work with music?

Greg
post #477 of 4127 Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
I have a DVD recorder and 2 sources - a HD DVR, and a Laserdisc player. I aslo expect to add another DVR soon. I've tried to switch a signal through the 2807 from the Laserdisc and DVR sources to the line-in of the DVD recorder but the signal doesn't seem to be getting through even though the Laserdisc plays fine through S-video on to the monitor. The DVD recorder is connected to the VCR2 ouput of the 2807. I checked all the S-video cables and the cables all are fine. I did a direct connection from the DVR S-video-out to the DVD recorder line-in and that worked. The s-video monitor-output, which is in the same bank of outputs as the VCR2-out, works fine. I'm also taking HDMI into the 2807 from the DVD recorder and switiching it to the HDMI-out to the monitor, which works fine although I have no idea why that would have an effect on the S-video outs. Does anyone have any ideas why I can't get the S-video signal through? Thanks so much for any help you can provide. .. Jeff
post #478 of 4127 Old 06-12-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

This has been resolved. For those interested, the line outs are controlled trhough Zone 2. The advantage of this, I guess, is that you can record one source while another is playing. Cool.
post #479 of 4127 Old 06-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla92 View Post

Thanks

I have the H20 and the 2807. My problem occurs when I allow the receiver to handle things in its native resolution. The receiver, clicks, and clicks, the picture flashes and flashed and then finally all is well. However, if I make my H20 output everything at 1080i I have no problems.

Do you have the H20-100 or H20-600? They are slightly different and perhaps that is why yours is behaving slightly different than mine.
post #480 of 4127 Old 06-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoard1 View Post

I have the H20 and the 2807. My problem occurs when I allow the receiver to handle things in its native resolution. The receiver, clicks, and clicks, the picture flashes and flashed and then finally all is well. However, if I make my H20 output everything at 1080i I have no problems.

Do you have the H20-100 or H20-600? They are slightly different and perhaps that is why yours is behaving slightly different than mine.

Are you running the H-20 through HDMI? I will check the model number when I get home. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page