post #541 of 4117 Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelg View Post

The Mac Mini only gives me a choice of 1080i or 720p

BTW, my TV can only do 1080i, that's probably where the limitation is. The Mac can drive a 1920x1200 monitor, so it could probably drive a 1080p TV if I had one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4117 Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM

My set up is:
Optoma HD72 Projector
Denon DVD 1730
Nintendo Game Cube
Xbox
Dalite 110" Cinema Contour Cinema Vision HC w/ Pro Trim Screen

Now I have audio and video going out just fine to HD72 Projector via HDMI which is very nice. I have hooked the Xbox to Component in 1 and assigned that VDP and VDP audio to OPT1 which the Xbox is hooked up to as well. The Nintendo game cube is hooked to DBS via Svideo and the digital in for DBS is set to none. I have sound for both Xbox and Nintendo but no video out HDMI. I have tired some different settings for the HDMI output Conversion on/off. i/p convert on/off color to rgb and also tried enhanced and not enhanced.

Any clues as to why I am not getting video? I sure want to see that gamecube up'd to 480P. I thought this was possible but maybe not for gaming systems. Please tell me I just have not set something up right.

Thanks,
JDV
post #543 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 07:56 AM

You need to assign the mode selection to output to HDMI and have the upconvert function on.. Page 44 in the manual..
post #544 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsta View Post

The Yamaha V2600 will upscale

Your point?
post #545 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 AM

MeDude,
You need to assign the mode selection to output to HDMI and have the upconvert function on.. Page 44 in the manual..

Upconvert is on.
HDMI assign is for the 2 in ports they are being used for my DVD and Directv and work.

Not sure what this means: You need to assign the mode selection to output to HDMI. With the Video Convert on I thought this just happened. The xbox is hooked up via component to the number 1 slot and is assigned that way in component in. Thanks for any thoughts.....
post #546 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Great info here...hope someone can answer quick question for me.

Does the 2807 "downconvert" Component/HDMI HD input for composite output to Zone 2.

I have a DirecTIVO HD DVR that only outputs HD or SD independently NOT simultaneously....I would like to watch HD on main TV and SD on remote TV at the same time. Looking for a receiver that will do this, as well as HDMI switching, upconversion, etc...anyone have one/know of a model with these capabilities??

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

- John
post #547 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

In a thread about my TV(Samsung HLR 720p) someone mentioned the new HDMI V1.3 spec that will be coming out, and one feature is that it will be able to support lossless audio formats, including DTS-HD. Does anyone know if these new formats will ONLY be supported over HDMI, or will you still be able to get them via optical and/or digital coax outputs? Of course this would be for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

I am getting pretty close to getting a 2807, but want to know if I should wait till the next version that has HDMI V1.3 support. I already won't be able to use the HDMI since I have a 6412 box for my Comcast cable and I know that has problems with this reciever(or any other one).
post #548 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 01:14 PM

Does the 2807 upscale analog video only through HDMI or also through component?
And is the OSD accessible with progressive video?
post #549 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 02:32 PM

Is anyone running a Xbox or Ninentdo Gamecube and getting Video conversion to work and output HDMI? I spoke to a Denon rep today and I may just have a defective unit as it should take any 480i analog source such as an Xbox or GameCube and output it HDMI. Problem is it seems not many folks out there doing this. Thanks for any comments or suggestions, JDV
post #550 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

List your display monitor/TV. Is the monitor/TV known to work with other HDMI sources. Tell us if this works:

HDMI source ---->TV
Video (yellow jack) ------->Denon 2807 ------>TV yellow jack
Component video source (Red, green & blue jacks)----->Denon 2807------->TV R,G & B component jacks
post #551 of 4117 Old 07-14-2006, 05:01 PM

Yes it all worked. HDMI was working perfectly last night for DirecTV and DVD. Now when I put it on DirecTV via HDMI the reciever just sits there and goes click click click. I can return the unit so I'm going to drive out and return it. I'm not sure the clicking is very normal. I thought maybe when it was searching for a signal.

Anyway I'll let you know how it ends up. Still is anyone running GameCube and Xbox thru Analog get converted to HDMI ?

Thanks again,
JDV
post #552 of 4117 Old 07-15-2006, 06:56 PM

New box worked like a champ. Switching analog 480i to digital 480p via video convert out to HDMI. Whew glad it was a bad box and not me. Even the guy I bought it from was like if this does not work I'm not going to keep switching out boxes. Yea right. Thanks again this is nice place for information.

So Nintendo GameCube and Xbox work great converted to digital video signal. I'm sure same goes for any other 480i source going analog to 2807 and wanting to come out HDMI.

JDV
post #553 of 4117 Old 07-15-2006, 08:35 PM

New to the site - gotten lots of good info in this forum. Thanks to all for your time and expertise. I just got the 2807 earlier today, and have spent the better part of the afternoon trying to figure out connections...

I have a ComCast Motorola DCT6412 HD cable box, Sony SXRD TV (2 HDMI inputs), and Samsung DVD player with HDMI output. Two questions:

1 - I can not get a picture connecting the cable box through the receiver to the TV (all HDMI); I get a flashing green screen, but audio comes across no problem. Based on the numerous previous posts this seems to be a problem with the cable box, but can someone please confirm? Do I just need to wait for the cable company to update their capabilities? In the meantime, is it better to go component/optical into the receiver and HDMI to the TV, or HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver?

2 - My components are behind a cabinet, and one of the reasons I bought this receiver was to be able to show the receiver's volume level on my TV. However I have not been able to come up with a configuration that allows this. The manual seems to say that on-screen information can be passed through HDMI, but I have not had any luck, unless I use the single RCA video connection from the cable box to the receiver, and HDMI to the TV. This, of course, gives a very poor picture.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I have given up on my own capability to figure this out...and the manual is of no help.
post #554 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 07:32 AM

I am very intersted in purchasing this device. It has been awhile since I researched receivers can any hook to the internet for firmware updates or is there other ways to perform updates. Is this better or worse than the 3806
post #555 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 07:55 AM
bcj

I recently purchased DENON 2807, can't reach to DENON Technical Support (no body picks phone there).
a) Auto Set-up does not work with BOSE Accoustimass 10 Speaker system, Denon does not detect speakers at all and set-up jumps back to main menu. I was told by dealer that it will not work as Bose is connected differently than conventional speakers. (unfortunately I have Bose wired in house)

b) On Screen Display thro' HDMI connection is limited to "System Set Up" only. It gives some more information when we hit "OSD" button on Remote. Meaning you can't see any changes being done in Receiver like - Surround Sound, Volume, Station in Tuner, Video Source, Speaker Volume etc. These all are available when connected thro' Composite Video.

None of the stores show HDMI connection in their showroom. Can anyone having 2807 can help please.

I visited one of my friend and his Yamaha RXV-1600 (same feature and price range) has OSD as desired.
post #556 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 08:02 AM

I don't actually own a 2807, but I have been reading along and am very interested in getting one. I can probably answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahman2 View Post

1 - I can not get a picture connecting the cable box through the receiver to the TV (all HDMI); I get a flashing green screen, but audio comes across no problem. Based on the numerous previous posts this seems to be a problem with the cable box, but can someone please confirm? Do I just need to wait for the cable company to update their capabilities? In the meantime, is it better to go component/optical into the receiver and HDMI to the TV, or HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver?

You are correct. The Comcast box is incompatible with HDMI switching of any kind. I would think that you would want to connect the component and optical to the 2807 and then HDMI from the 2807 to the TV. This would allow you to direct everything through the receiver. I think connecting the Comcast box directly to the TV JUST for the sake of using HDMI kind of defeats the purpose of having the 2807. So, provided there is no quality degradation, I would run the 6412's component/optical into the 2807.

Quote:

2 - My components are behind a cabinet, and one of the reasons I bought this receiver was to be able to show the receiver's volume level on my TV. However I have not been able to come up with a configuration that allows this. The manual seems to say that on-screen information can be passed through HDMI, but I have not had any luck, unless I use the single RCA video connection from the cable box to the receiver, and HDMI to the TV. This, of course, gives a very poor picture.

I'm pretty sure the 2807 cannot output on-screen information via the HDMI (or any of the HD outputs for that matter). The only outputs it can display the OSD is composite/s-video. I could be wrong, but I believe the reason for this has something to do with decoding/re-encoding the HD signal and rights management.

Dave
post #557 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 08:08 AM
bcj

Dear Shahman2, I just posted my request in same line and have similar problem related to On Screen Display (my receiver is also hidden in another room). I have done research and could not get satisfactory answer. Denon Tech Support is useless, Manual hints - it won't work on HDMI. Planning to switch to Yamaha RXV 1600, OSD works as we need, it is $100 cheaper. It can't beat DENON reputation and does not have i-POD connectivity. (you can't make use of it in DENON without OSD anyway)
post #558 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 08:14 AM
bcj

Dave - you are 100% right on Denon's OSD capability on HDMI. Based on my 15 days of research...it does not output OSD on HDMI connection. Solution - we need to have additional Video Cable (Composite) to Monitor, switch monitor to Composite video - adjust receiver and switch back to HDMI - what a pain. However, it is possible in YAMAHA RXV1600 - so it has nothing to do with HDMI coding I guess...
bcj
post #559 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 10:45 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry to go OT, but what do you guys think about buying this 2807 from non-authorized retailer?

From pricegrabber: $744 shipped from American-deals.com

That's a lot of savings from the regular $1099 MSRP from Crutchfield, BB, etc.

Is it true that only those authorized resellers carry brand new authentic 2807?
Is there a fake 2807? Probably refurb?

What's the general take on this ridiculous limited warranty to make sure retailers got their fat margin? Is the product reliable enough to risk buying from cheaper store?

Thanks!
post #560 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 04:33 PM

I only have HDMI going to my projector and I get the setup menu's and master volume on screen. I felt kind of funny at first turning on my projector just to access setup stuff but with it on screen you can see all the functions so it's just generally easier to work with.
post #561 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post

Dave - you are 100% right on Denon's OSD capability on HDMI. Based on my 15 days of research...it does not output OSD on HDMI connection. Solution - we need to have additional Video Cable (Composite) to Monitor, switch monitor to Composite video - adjust receiver and switch back to HDMI - what a pain. However, it is possible in YAMAHA RXV1600 - so it has nothing to do with HDMI coding I guess...
bcj

The 2807 wil display OSD on HDMI, or at least it does on my reciever.
post #562 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post

I recently purchased DENON 2807, can't reach to DENON Technical Support (no body picks phone there).
a) Auto Set-up does not work with BOSE Accoustimass 10 Speaker system, Denon does not detect speakers at all and set-up jumps back to main menu. I was told by dealer that it will not work as Bose is connected differently than conventional speakers. (unfortunately I have Bose wired in house)

The dealer is right, with the way the Accoustimass system works and connects to a receiver. You're pretty much SOL as far as being able to use the auto set-up on the Denon or any other receiver with a auto set-up routine.
post #563 of 4117 Old 07-16-2006, 07:56 PM
bcj

Just to make sure I understood correctly, your TV is connected to Denon 2807 on HDMI and you can see Denon 2807 settings on you TV. You change your Volume, DSP settings, Source etc thro' your remote and all these thing appear on TV.

I only get Display when I hit "System Setup" or I hit "On Screen" button on Remote. On Screen gives me screen OSD1, OSD2, OSD3... and so on . They are current settings. But it does not show any changes being done on remote.
post #564 of 4117 Old 07-17-2006, 05:20 AM

BCJ,
I have not had time to play with OSD that much. You may be right setup menu and master volume may be all you get. I have a projector and only thru HDMI. I am fire and forget when I turn on reciever it's tuned to a source DVD, TV, xbox, gamecube and we do that for however long and it's off. We don't really bump around a lot at least not yet.
post #565 of 4117 Old 07-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpow View Post

Sorry to go OT, but what do you guys think about buying this 2807 from non-authorized retailer?

From pricegrabber: $744 shipped from American-deals.com

That's a lot of savings from the regular $1099 MSRP from Crutchfield, BB, etc.

Is it true that only those authorized resellers carry brand new authentic 2807?
Is there a fake 2807? Probably refurb?

What's the general take on this ridiculous limited warranty to make sure retailers got their fat margin? Is the product reliable enough to risk buying from cheaper store?

Thanks!

I struggled with the same issue, but then I called Jason Turk at AV Science (who host this forum.) They are authorized and will give you the best authorized dealer price you will find. I decided to spend a *tiny* bit more money with Jason to go the authorized route, rather than chance getting stuck with a bad unit and dealing directly with Denon. One other thing about dealing with Jason is that you will not find better customer service, and they always take care of you without question. You can find their contact information on their main website.
post #566 of 4117 Old 07-17-2006, 07:22 AM

I, too, would be interested in any info on the simultaneous display (via HDMI output) of volume setting while it is being adjusted by volume control. I have tried different settings but no results. I can find no reference to this in the manual other than a description of OSD on page 52, but this appears to only refer to using the "On Screen Display" button on the remote - not a display of volume as you use the volume controls (either on the remote or front panel). If true, this is a real drawback for me. Denon builds excellent audio gear from a performance standpoint but has always needed help (and not found it) in the human engineering arena.
post #567 of 4117 Old 07-17-2006, 08:25 AM

post #568 of 4117 Old 07-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskim View Post

Composite and S-Video will be passed through Component.

Composite, S-Video and Component will be passed through HDMI.

Later

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #569 of 4117 Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks Spete.
YHPM (you have PM)
post #570 of 4117 Old 07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

In a thread about my TV(Samsung HLR 720p) someone mentioned the new HDMI V1.3 spec that will be coming out, and one feature is that it will be able to support lossless audio formats, including DTS-HD. Does anyone know if these new formats will ONLY be supported over HDMI, or will you still be able to get them via optical and/or digital coax outputs? Of course this would be for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

I see no one answered your questions. the optical/coax connections don't have enough bandwidth to support the upcoming lossless audio formats such as dts-hd. You'll need hdmi 1.3 to natively use those.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page