The "Official" Denon AVR-4306 Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 2397 Old 06-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I need some help. I just ugraded from an AVR 3805 to an AVR 4306 in my home theater for the extra power, HDMI, networking and Ipod connectivity but I cannot get the surround back channels to work. Back channel on the 3805 worked fine.

I have assigned the extra amp at various times to Zone 2, Zone 3 and to the surround back channel and still cannot get the back speakers to work. I tested the speakers and they are are fine. Unfortunately I suspect the amp is faulty. Other channels work fine. I have tried using the browser menus as well as the amp menus to no avail.

Any ideas? Did I miss something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2397 Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 AM

Anyone heard if Denon is planning on a firmware upgrade to add XM 5.1 receive capability to the 4306? I've done a bit of Googling, but haven't found anything, but perhaps some of the Denon folks read this forum and may be able to comment.

Thanks,

-- Dave
post #123 of 2397 Old 06-05-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkamp View Post

Hello,
I need some help. I just ugraded from an AVR 3805 to an AVR 4306 in my home theater for the extra power, HDMI, networking and Ipod connectivity but I cannot get the surround back channels to work. Back channel on the 3805 worked fine.

I have assigned the extra amp at various times to Zone 2, Zone 3 and to the surround back channel and still cannot get the back speakers to work. I tested the speakers and they are are fine. Unfortunately I suspect the amp is faulty. Other channels work fine. I have tried using the browser menus as well as the amp menus to no avail.

Any ideas? Did I miss something?

The "extra amps" should be assigned to the back channels. Then, try the 7.1 stereo mode to see if you hear anything. Also, try doing a speaker level test to see if you hear any output from the back channels (or if the amp even cycles through them)....

Hope this helps,

-- Dave
post #124 of 2397 Old 06-05-2006, 02:01 PM

Hello everybody I have two question.

1) As anyone been able to play wav file on the 4306? I'm able to select wav file either on my computer trought my network (wired) or trought an usb drive I connect direct to the 4306. But in each case I can't get the file to reach 100% and start.

2) I think it's an network problem. When I play an mp3 song trought my network in the 4306 every 20-30 seconds the connection goes from 100% to 0%, then I don't here anything the time the connection goes to 100% againg, and the song continue for another 20-30 seconds. It's a new problem I have since I install an exterior usb hard drive. The problem is there no mater were the song played come from (the usb drive or direct from the computer) and I have the problem trought Twonky or media connect.

By the way I use twonky music as a server to the 4306. You should have a look at it. The menu to select the song/artist/genre etc... are customizable and very intuitive. Lot better then the media connect.
post #125 of 2397 Old 06-05-2006, 02:07 PM

Make sure you are connected to Surround Speakers A for 5.1 NOT Surround BACK speakers which won't play anything on 5.1 and only mono in 7.1. (I made that mistake at first)

Anyone have their 360 run over component video and optical audio. I can get sound OR picture, not both. Which specific inputs are you using and over what source. I am trying component 2, optical 2 over VDP. Help!!!

Thanks.

Edit: Answered my own question --> "assignable inputs" I knew that the HDMI ports were assignable, but you can mix and match component with different optical and coaxial (digital) audio inputs. This thing is almost too complex for me.
post #126 of 2397 Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 PM

So I have a question regarding the AVR-4306. How do you think the audio quality would compare to the THX Certified AVR-4800?

I have the AVR-4800 right now and like it. I am looking to upgrade to something with HDMI switching. I would go with the 4806 as it is also THX certified but its a lot more expensive than my 4800 ever was, I am therefore interested in the 4306 but am curious as to how much the THX certifiaction in my 4800 (5+ yeards old) plays into its quality compared to the 4306.

Aside from losing the THX sound modes do you think the audio quality of the 4306 is better than the 4800.

Thanks.
post #127 of 2397 Old 06-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Anyone know how well this receiver will push the B&W 603 or 604 speakers?
post #128 of 2397 Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffin View Post

My 4306 on screen display works fine over HDMI at all resolution settings

Does it display the volume level on the OSD? This is one thing I've been looking for as I have my equipment in another room.

Visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.0 done and finally posted! - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And now...
post #129 of 2397 Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

I've got 2 N805 and one HTM2 on it (surround/center) and it works fine - I've heard them better, but it's very close to much more expensive material.

Of course, the amp is only pushing those 3 speakers, the N804 have their own independent UcD power.

Yves
post #130 of 2397 Old 06-06-2006, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Does it display the volume level on the OSD? This is one thing I've been looking for as I have my equipment in another room.

I can see the volume bar when playing a VCR to the S-Video, but not when playing a DVD to Component or DirecTV DVR to HDMI.

This is annoying
post #131 of 2397 Old 06-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkamp View Post

Hello,
...I cannot get the surround back channels to work. ... Any ideas? Did I miss something?

I have a similar problem; I just added surround speakers and will be adding a centre and sub in the near future. The problem, (or is it a problem?), is that sometimes sound comes from the surround speakers and sometimes not. I'm using Surround A and have set it to small in the set up menu and did the auto eq all fine. I can get surround sound with net music and some DVDs. I cannot get surround with other DVDs and with TV. I'm using the same DVD player and same surround modes (tried both DDPLII and DTS Neo6).

Is it simply that some disks can split from 2.0 to 4.0 and some cannot with these surround modes?

And what about TV signals - they cannot be sent to the surround speakers? If so, how?

OR, am I missing something here?

Advice please.

Thanks.
post #132 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Greetings,

When using PLIIx or even with 5.1 channel encoded soundtracks there are times when there is simply no surround information being sent to the surrounds. This is especially true with TV programming. If there are times they are working and times when they appear to not be I would say that this is more than likely the reason.

Be sure that when you are watching DVD's ( especially some earlier releases ) that you check to ensure that you have the Dolby Digital 5.1 track selected for playback and not the Dolby Surround track. The Dolby Surround track will utilize the PLIIx processing.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #133 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 AM

Ok, as I reported earlier, I was using the VDP source for my XBOX. However I got either sound OR video. I THOUGHT it was that I needed to assign component and optical inputs, but I was using the inputs that VDP was assigned to in the manual. However, I realized that I had physically switched the video source of VDP to TV. WHY in the world, should you have the ability to assign inputs in the on screen menu, and then assign the source physically from the front of the receiver!?!?!

So VDP was set up for opt1 and comp2 but the video source for VDP was physically switched to TV which uses comp1..... ARGHHHH!

I want a receiver that has 5 HDMI's in, and one out, that's it!
post #134 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 AM

On a non-rant related topic....

How are you guys using the up converting HDMI feature? I am converting all analog (component) sources to HDMI. But with my Oppo to HDMI, I set the HDMI to pass through, and the signal shut off! So I set it back to 720p. I just don't want the signal too monkied with by the time it hits the TV.

Technically you could put in a regular DVD (480i) into an upconverting player turining it into 720p, through the AVR turing it into 1080i, then to your TV which (some) convert all signals to 1080p.

Wouldn't that look like crap? I am trying to have as few conversions as possible. So from an upconverting player, what should I set the 4306 output to? Passthrough or the same output as the player? (either 720p or 1080i)

THANKS!
post #135 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSnake View Post

On a non-rant related topic....

How are you guys using the up converting HDMI feature? I am converting all analog (component) sources to HDMI. But with my Oppo to HDMI, I set the HDMI to pass through, and the signal shut off! So I set it back to 720p. I just don't want the signal too monkied with by the time it hits the TV.

Technically you could put in a regular DVD (480i) into an upconverting player turining it into 720p, through the AVR turing it into 1080i, then to your TV which (some) convert all signals to 1080p.

Wouldn't that look like crap? I am trying to have as few conversions as possible. So from an upconverting player, what should I set the 4306 output to? Passthrough or the same output as the player? (either 720p or 1080i)

THANKS!

If your upconverting player is already upconverting to 720p or 1080i, I would just set the 4306 to passthrough, like you said, to keep the signal from being monkied with too much. As far as what to pass through to the TV, it seems like trial and error is the best method to determine what works best for your setup. I've been following a thread on a 1080p set, and it appears that this particular set doesn't seem to handle a 1080i input, which it upconverts to 1080p for display. The complaint is ghosting or blurring on fast moving content, but not from all 1080i sources.
post #136 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSnake View Post

WHY in the world, should you have the ability to assign inputs in the on screen menu, and then assign the source physically from the front of the receiver!?!?!

It gives you the option of watching one source whilst listening to the audio of another. You initially assign your audio and video inputs e.g OPT1 to CD, Comp 1 to DVD etc. Then you can manually switch another video source in whilst you're listening to audio for another. I'll often watch TV whilst listening to a CD playing.
post #137 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 08:56 AM

bcoombs- Thanks. That's my take as well. But you're right, some trial and error will quickly answer my question. (I just can never tell that much of a difference!)

Jase H- Your answer makes perfect sense, I just never have the need to do that. I am not a multi-tasker! But thanks for the answer, that was driving me batty.

Starting to understand the 4306...
post #138 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

The on-screen volume level is only overlaid onto 480i source inputs. All other input resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i) will not have on-screen volume display.

The HDMI inputs never have on-screen volume level, even if the signal is 480i.

The
, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #139 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

When using PLIIx or even with 5.1 channel encoded soundtracks there are times when there is simply no surround information being sent to the surrounds. This is especially true with TV programming. If there are times they are working and times when they appear to not be I would say that this is more than likely the reason.

Be sure that when you are watching DVD's ( especially some earlier releases ) that you check to ensure that you have the Dolby Digital 5.1 track selected for playback and not the Dolby Surround track. The Dolby Surround track will utilize the PLIIx processing.

Regards,

Ralph,

Thanks, that is what I was starting to think. But, it seems a bit strange that material cannot be sent to the surround speakers for some sources (DVDs, TV) and yet can be for other sources when all these same sources are originally in 2.0 format. Still seems a bit goofy to me.

I noticed last night while playing with the machine two things.

1. When there is no content (at all for an entire DVD) being played through the surrounds I get little noise kinda like a mouse or two - very little/slight/extremely soft squeaky noises. What's this?

2. In the set up menu -> advanced playback(1) there is an option for auto surround. I had this 'off' before, turned it 'on'. And still same basic situation, but I think some cable (not all cable) programs are working now. Not sure if it is from this selection or from doing other tweaks. Or simply got a program that would decode.

Any thoughts?
post #140 of 2397 Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM

BTW,

On the same advanced playback set up menu there is:

Dolby Digital Downmix Option Setup Compression ON / OFF

What does this do?
post #141 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Cool - an official thread! I just pulled the trigger yesterday and getting mine
on Friday...

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #142 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 AM

Too Complicated??? I've getting in the market for a new A/V receiver - probably the middle to end of August. As I do my research, the AVR-4306 appears to be a gem and all that I am looking for. However, and it's a big however, from all that I've read on this forum the 4306 seems extremely complicated and difficult to set up - to say the least. I'm fairly technically oriented, but if you guys are having difficulty figuring it out I'm quite concerned that this may be too much hassle for my impatience. I guess my question is whether it's really that complicated, or only so in certain isolated circumstances? Thanks.
post #143 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by el stumbo View Post

Ralph,

Thanks, that is what I was starting to think. But, it seems a bit strange that material cannot be sent to the surround speakers for some sources (DVDs, TV) and yet can be for other sources when all these same sources are originally in 2.0 format. Still seems a bit goofy to me.

I noticed last night while playing with the machine two things.

1. When there is no content (at all for an entire DVD) being played through the surrounds I get little noise kinda like a mouse or two - very little/slight/extremely soft squeaky noises. What's this?

2. In the set up menu -> advanced playback(1) there is an option for auto surround. I had this 'off' before, turned it 'on'. And still same basic situation, but I think some cable (not all cable) programs are working now. Not sure if it is from this selection or from doing other tweaks. Or simply got a program that would decode.

Any thoughts?

Greetings,

I would say that you got a program that works. I have noted that there are certain channels, for instance CBS HD, that contains no center channel info even though 5.1 channel data is showing on my pre/pro's display. I notice on TNT HD that I get no surround info at all ( but get the mouse sqeaks you describe ) but do get sound in the rear center channels.

Honestly I would not be concerned about this. Most broadcasts and movie sound tracks are mixed with surround sound in mind and therefore contain plenty of information mixed to the surrounds. The few that are not are limited and nothing to be alarmed about. You equipment is operation normally.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #144 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreier View Post

Too Complicated???

Not really. It is no more complicated than any other AV receiver when settting up a basic 5.1 or 7.1 system. However, digging through all of the menus and options when you go beyond the basics might seem daunting and thus add an apparent layer of complexity that has not been encountered with other receivers. But, that's why the good people of the forum are here.

IMO, the most complex thing about this receiver is the user manual. There is something perplexing about the way it's written. Typically, I've found my questions are usually not fully resolved on reading the manual or each time I read it, I interpret the words differently. Not sure if it is the manual or me.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #145 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

"...IMO, the most complex thing about this receiver is the user manual. There is something perplexing about the way it's written. Typically, I've found my questions are usually not fully resolved on reading the manual or each time I read it, I interpret the words differently. Not sure if it is the manual or me."

It's NOT you.

I agree with you, the people on this forum/thread have been life-savers for me.

And, once I realized that much of my problem was that I have a feature-rich A/V receiver, the operational complexity is only to be expected? The user interface is not what I would call great and IMO the manual is barely better than useless... But the receiver itself? Fantastic!

Once you get it set up, it isn't complicated at all. I would advise CDrier to get it!
post #146 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreier View Post

... I guess my question is whether it's really that complicated, or only so in certain isolated circumstances? Thanks.

This was my first ever AVR and I am a complete n00b but have it mostly figured out. Its not that complicated. I still have a few unresolved items (mostly in terms of the Audessy) but that is mostly because I haven't have the time to play with it lately.

Everything works (5.1 speakers/sub, TV, PVR, DVD, VCR, PS2, harmony remote), I got it hooked up the network and play my favorite internet radio station through it. I don't have XM radio and haven't tried the iPod yet. I would like to figure out how to get my Mac to stream to it (it has music server software for Windows but not the Mac ASAIK). It surely has all the power that I need.

The manual is...well, it is weird. I don't think a native English speaker wrote most of it and it not all that easy to use, however, I must say I eventually got most of the answers to my problems by reading it carefully, in very short sessions, while in a good and patient mood.

Just my experience....
post #147 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reassurance guys. The 4306 is number one on my list!
post #148 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I have done a search on this thread and I don't think I have get a definite answer to my question:

Can you use the 4306 as an external USB "sound card" for your PC through the iPod/USB port on the receiver? Right now I have a Pioneer Elite with a USB port and I use it as an external USB 2 and multi-channels "sound card" device.

I understand that I can connect this receiver to the LAN at home, install Window Media Connected on my PC and share my multimedia files. This is not what I want to do. I want to be able to output multichannels soundtrack/sound effects from my PC through the USB connection for movies/video clips and games, instead of using the analog multichannels input on the receivers (I want to reserve this for my, *soon* to be released , BluRay player).

TIA!
post #149 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

I would say that you got a program that works. I have noted that there are certain channels, for instance CBS HD, that contains no center channel info even though 5.1 channel data is showing on my pre/pro's display. I notice on TNT HD that I get no surround info at all ( but get the mouse sqeaks you describe ) but do get sound in the rear center channels.

Honestly I would not be concerned about this. Most broadcasts and movie sound tracks are mixed with surround sound in mind and therefore contain plenty of information mixed to the surrounds. The few that are not are limited and nothing to be alarmed about. You equipment is operation normally.

Regards,

Ralph,

Thanks for the reassurance. It seems like I'm starting to get more material that sends info to the surrounds - which is nice! Next step will be a centre...
post #150 of 2397 Old 06-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

IMO, the most complex thing about this receiver is the user manual. There is something perplexing about the way it's written. Typically, I've found my questions are usually not fully resolved on reading the manual or each time I read it, I interpret the words differently. Not sure if it is the manual or me.

The manual - it is strange but I'm slowly starting to understand the logic behind it...I guess after you read and reread it, you start to make connections. But, it is definitely lacking in explanations. It may say you can select 'on' or 'off' or whatever but then it does not say why you would do so - that is the maddening part for me.

My advice, read it as if it were a bible: reread and reread; have a little wine, and reread again
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4306b 7 1 Ch Home Theater Multimedia A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - 4306b by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page