The "Official" Denon AVR-4306 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2397 Old 04-08-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure if I am overstepping my bounds here, but I see that there are many scattered threads out there on the subject of the 4306. I have had my hands on a few of them and have been creating universal remote interfaces for them. In doing this I have run across several functionality issues that I would like to post and get a dialog started for.

This is a repost from another thread:

All Denon 4306 Users!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been implementing the AVR 4306 lately and I have run across several issues. I will list my observations here and hope to hear from others with similar experiences......

1)Network audio and USB sources are digital and thus not available in the zone2 and zone3 signal outputs. They are, however, available in the Tape/VCR outputs which repeat zone2 content. To allow these digital signals to be fed to an external amplifier in zone2, I used the Tape out which activates with zone2 but then switched to a dead input before I switched zone2 off (using a Pronto). This provided me with a solution that behaved exactly as if I were using the zone2 output. These digital sources are also available to the zone2/3 reassigned speaker output.

2)Zone2/3 control of the network audio, USB and iPod are not possible when the main zone is off with the exception of the G1-8 preset controls (pg 79 of 4306 manual). This includes track skip and preset selection. This limitation really sucks!
I did, however, discover that these controls and more are available through the computer's browser using the IP address even with the main zone off.

3)Somehow it eluded me to test if the net audio, USB, iPod controls actually work when the main zone is on but with another source selected. Does anyone have experience with this?

4)Denon lists many discrete codes including those related to the Net audio, USB and iPod functions that are not available on the factory remote (Some are available via toggle or menu navigation). They are in Sharp or Kaseikyo format. I am new to format conversion and I am trying to learn. Does anyone have these codes in a Hex form already?

5)I have not implemented a USB device or activated the XM radio features. I would appreciate any information on the limitations or idiosyncracies associated with these so that I can arm myself!

Thanks, Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2397 Old 04-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Finally!!
post #3 of 2397 Old 04-08-2006, 06:45 PM

Ipod Dock info:
The only dock that officially works is part # M9868G/A iPod Photo Dock
iPod Nano dock MA072G/A is listed as working, yet also listed as not working in the notes from Denon.

Ipod cable Info:
The iPod cable can be obtained from www.mcminone.com in the US.
(Direct Link) and is part #2046797003

The official Denon cable (picture) is part # AK-P100 and costs around $40+ more than the MCM cable.
The MCM cable seems to work fine for users who purchased it.

Discrete IR codes:
Member cdswindell has created a pronto remote control pcf file that has the extra functions listed/ learned.
Download the file from this post #308

or go to Remote Central and download from there.

Further discussion on the new codes etc. are discussed on Remote Central in this thread and here and also here
post #4 of 2397 Old 04-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreezetas View Post

Ipod Dock info:
The only dock that officially works is part # M9868G/A iPod Photo Dock
iPod Nano dock MA072G/A is listed as working, yet also listed as not working in the notes from Denon.

Ipod cable Info:
The iPod cable can be obtained from www.mcminone.com in the US.
(Direct Link) and is part #2046797003

The official Denon cable (picture) is part # AK-P100 and costs around $40+ more than the MCM cable.
The MCM cable seems to work fine for users who purchased it.

I bought the Denon/iPod cable (for use with my 5th Gen 60gb iPod) from MCMinone and it works fine, except that it does NOT permit the input of video signals into the Denon --- just audio. I don't think it's the fault of the cable though, but more of a limitation with the Denon? The Denon manual states: "Some of the functions may not operate, depending on the type of iPod and the software version." As usual, I can't make heads or tails from the Denon's poorly written "user manual". But this sounds like you take your chances when connecting an iPod? A particular function might work or it might not... Like maybe, VIDEO!

Maybe someone here can help me understand some of this?

I guess I need to buy a dock and a TV cable to find out how they might work. But, I don't think that the iPods fit into the photo docks if they have "skins" on them?

Removing the skin is not easy to do...

Wouldn't it be nice if you just had to plug the special Denon/iPod cable into the iPod and everything just worked...

Maybe I'll just sell my "special" Denon/iPod cable on eBay...
post #5 of 2397 Old 04-08-2006, 11:12 PM

From my understanding is to play video or see photos, you need the dock connected with the A/V cable also connected.
The Denon/ MCM cable carries audio only I think.

Though we also have a Denon S301 at work using the supplied cable you can also watch video over it as one of our staff had working - he did have to enable video playback on the iPod directly though.

Yes it would be nice if the cable do it all in one, then it would be a lot more worth while.
post #6 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=mrfreezetas]From my understanding is to play video or see photos, you need the dock connected with the A/V cable also connected.
The Denon/ MCM cable carries audio only I think.[quote]

To view still photos with iPods that have a slideshow feature, you must put the iPod into "Remote" mode (pg 45 of manual). In this mode you do not have monitor display of the navigation as you do with the "Browse" mode. You must view the iPod's screen to navigate to these files with the denon remote. This seems a little goofy since you are close enough to operate the iPod manually when doing this.
You will know when you are in the Remote mode when the iPod displays as it normally does when using it independently. When not in Remote mode it reads only "Denon".

To view video it is my understanding that the AV cable must be used from a dock that provides an AV output. The iPod cable can remain connected to facilitate the goofy "remote" control mode if you set the iPod assignment to a particular AV input. I have been told, however, by a little bird, that Denon does not recommend usind a dock due to the frequency of encountered problems.

Regarding the iPod reassignment.... I have assigned the iPod to VCR2 instead of Aux so that I could have discrete input switching from the commands available on the remote (instead of toggle between Auxnet, AuxUSB and AuxiPod). Has anyone tried the discrete Aux source commands now made available from Dave to see if they actually work discretely?

Troy
post #7 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovit View Post

To view still photos with iPods that have a slideshow feature, you must put the iPod into "Remote" mode (pg 45 of manual). In this mode you do not have monitor display of the navigation as you do with the "Browse" mode. You must view the iPod's screen to navigate to these files with the denon remote. This seems a little goofy since you are close enough to operate the iPod manually when doing this.

You will know when you are in the Remote mode when the iPod displays as it normally does when using it independently. When not in Remote mode it reads only "Denon".

To view video it is my understanding that the AV cable must be used from a dock that provides an AV output. The iPod cable can remain connected to facilitate the goofy "remote" control mode if you set the iPod assignment to a particular AV input. I have been told, however, by a little bird, that Denon does not recommend usind a dock due to the frequency of encountered problems.

Regarding the iPod reassignment.... I have assigned the iPod to VCR2 instead of Aux so that I could have discrete input switching from the commands available on the remote (instead of toggle between Auxnet, AuxUSB and AuxiPod). Has anyone tried the discrete Aux source commands now made available from Dave to see if they actually work discretely?

Troy

Hi Troy,

A little bird? Was it a cuckoo bird?

After reading your last post, I once again (hesitantly) attempted to read the Denon user's manual. (Definitely a masochistic experience...) I went to page 45 as you pointed out, and as I fully expected, the manual's section titled: "Viewing still pictures (only for iPods equipped with the slideshow feature) was ANYTHING but clear, understandable or in the least bit helpful.

Trying to GUESS what I should do, I connected my iPod via the iPod/Denon cable. I then performed step one and "Remote iPod" was in fact displayed on the 4306's display!

Step 2?

The iPod's screen displayed a message "OK to disconnect". I could NOT press the cursor up or down arrows to select "Photos" and obviously couldn't press the ENTER or CURSOR RIGHT button. So, needless to say, the iPod's photo data was NOT displayed on the TV monitor as the Denon manual stated... Surprise, surprise!

That was when I realized that I had somehow managed to lose complete control of the 4306's remote control! It was in TU mode... Try as I may, I couldn't figure out how to return to the "normal" remote control functioning. I finally figured out that I had to toggle the AMP button - pressing it several times until the remote returned to the "normal" remote control display and functions...

Why doesn't some genius write a Denon AVR-4306 User's Manual for Dummies book? I would do it, but I ain't no damn genius... Obviously?

So, at least I am now back to square one! I can watch TV thru the 4306 but cannot get the pictures in my iPod to display on my plasma monitor.

Unfortunately, in a fit of rage, I tore page 45 out of the manual and shredded it into microfine particles! It felt really good! And I haven't lost anything useful...

I wonder what was on page 44? I am now eyeing the rest of the manual right now... I feel an incredible urge to shred the whole thing!

I wonder how high the 4306 would bounce if I toss it off a tall building?

Whoops. Sorry about that... Back to the issue at hand.

Would it be accurate to say that my new 5th generation 60gb iPod falls into the "Some of the functions may not operate, depending on the type of iPod and the software version" warning? Nice, broad, little caveat...

It states in the manual that:

"DENON will accept no responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage of data on an iPod occurring when the iPod is used connected to the AVR-4306."

Okay, I can understand that... But, I wonder if Denon will accept responsibility for supplying a totally inadequate user's manual?

I wonder how much I could sell my 4306 for on eBay? I would include the user's manual --- well, except for page 45. Any bidders here?
post #8 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

You are correct. The manual is anything but clear especially concerning the iPod-USB-Network audio features.

I had a long three way call with a couple of the regional reps regarding these issues and it became clear to me that the iPod interface was designed primarily as an audio feature. Video support for the aux inputs was a total afterthought and it sounds like video could be included in future generations (a few R&D components have already been made).

That said, were you able to navigate the native iPod screen to your photo files with the Denon remote? Once you have selected the "remote" mode, I believe you have to select the Tuner "TU" controls to do this. I do recall, however, that the navigation controls also worked when the "Amp" control was selected as well.

If this still does not work for you, let me know and I will put it to the rep.

The alternative, which may be the actual intention, is that you can change the iPod input assignment in the setup menu (a fairly straightforward process). As mentioned, I changed the iPod assignment to VCR2 and then renamed the input to say "iPod". This will transfer all of the same controls available from the aux input to the VCR2 input when using the iPod cable as well as routing the audio to VCR2. You can then hook up a composite video connection as you normally would from the iPod (if from a dock, you must also change the iPod settings in the menu to specify the inclusion of a dock) to the VCR2 AV input on the back of the receiver. This way, when you select VCR2 (or "iPod" in my case) you get all of the same on screen audio control features when in the "browse" mode and the video output of the iPod when in the "remote" mode.

If you need page 44 and 45 back you can download the PDF from the Denon Site
post #9 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had a long three way call with a couple of the regional reps regarding these issues and it became clear to me that the iPod interface was designed primarily as an audio feature. Video support for the aux inputs was a total afterthought and it sounds like video could be included in future generations (a few R&D components have already been made).

The 4306 "might" be able to process iPod video in future generations of what? Future models of Denon receivers, or future 4306 firmware versions, or future versions of iPods?

Quote:

That said, were you able to navigate the native iPod screen to your photo files with the Denon remote? Once you have selected the "remote" mode, I believe you have to select the Tuner "TU" controls to do this. I do recall, however, that the navigation controls also worked when the "Amp" control was selected as well. If this still does not work for you, let me know and I will put it to the rep.

No. After putting the 4306 into "remote mode" I checked the iPod but instead of displaying "photo data" --- the iPod display read: "OK to disconnect". On the 4306 receiver's display, the display raed: "Remote iPod"; so the 4306 was in remote iPod mode... But at no time did I see any photo related output on my TV monitor or the iPod.

Quote:

The alternative, which may be the actual intention, is that you can change the iPod input assignment in the setup menu (a fairly straightforward process). As mentioned, I changed the iPod assignment to VCR2 and then renamed the input to say "iPod". This will transfer all of the same controls available from the aux input to the VCR2 input when using the iPod cable as well as routing the audio to VCR2. You can then hook up a composite video connection as you normally would from the iPod (if from a dock, you must also change the iPod settings in the menu to specify the inclusion of a dock) to the VCR2 AV input on the back of the receiver. This way, when you select VCR2 (or "iPod" in my case) you get all of the same on screen audio control features when in the "browse" mode and the video output of the iPod when in the "remote" mode.

Maybe that is my problem? I am not connecting the iPod with an iPod TV cable (out from the iPod's headphone jack to yellow, red & white RCA plugs). Nor am I connecting to the 4306 by using an iPod photo docking station.

Is that what I need to do? Reassign the iPod input and then connect using a dock or TV cable? And THEN do the iPod Remote Mode routine?

Quote:

If you need page 44 and 45 back you can download the PDF from the Denon Site

As luck would have it, I shredded page 45 after printing it out from the pdf file .

But, oh my, just how incredibly pleasureable would it be to shred and burn the manual itself?

I have resisted buying additional cables and docking stations in attempting to get the iPod's video to work with the 4306. For one thing, a dock would be a real PITA what with my iPod having an iSkin protecting it.

Have you seen the video from an iPod displayed on a TV monitor? What's the PQ like? What about importing/displaying reduced filesize picture files to the iPod as compared to full resolution files?

Thanks much for your help.
post #10 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am out of town and will return next week. I am bringing in another 4306 when I get back. I will review all of these issues and post a comprehensive list of and guide to these features when I get a chance.

Regarding the "remote" mode. You will not see a text display saying "photo data". The remote mode simply allows you to use the Denon remote to navigate the iPod to your files just as you would manually with the scroll wheel.
post #11 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=567248

this thread may not say "official" but it has over 800+ replies and 66,000 views. so you may get more info from it or the mods may need to merge this into it to save space.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #12 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Regarding the "remote" mode. You will not see a text display saying "photo data". The remote mode simply allows you to use the Denon remote to navigate the iPod to your files just as you would manually with the scroll wheel.

Hold The Presses!!!

It is possible, after all, to view iPod slideshows on a monitor connected to the 4306 when an iPod is connected to the 4306 with just the special iPod/Denon cable...

Unofficial Denon User's Manual Addendum:

1) Connect the iPod to the 4306 using the special iPod/Denon cable.

2) With the 4306 remote, select Aux/iPod

3a) Either control the iPod using the iPod's scroll wheel or set the 4306 so that it controls the iPod (press TU on the 4306 remote control, and then press and hold the MODE for 2+ seconds. There will be nothing displayed on the TV monitor at this point...

3b) To return the 4306 remote control back to the "normal" mode --- either press the "AMP/LAST" button or toggle the AMP icon on the remote's screen until it goes back to the correct mode.

4) The iPod setup needs its "TV Out" set to "ON", "NTSC", etc. Also choose any slideshow settings you want like duration, fades, etc. (see the iPod manual)

5) I prefer using the iPod's scroll wheel, but the 4306 remote will work; although, the iPod's menus do not show on the TV monitor --- just on the iPod's screen...

6) The iPod needs to have "Photos" selected; when the thumbnail pictures you want to view are displayed on the iPod's screen, press the Enter (center) button on the iPod so that the first picture is displayed on the iPod's screen. Note: the TV monitor screen is still blank at this time.

7) Then press the iPod's "Enter" button again. The iPod's screen should display the 1st picture of the slideshow AND the picture will then also be displayed on the TV monitor's screen...

8) By following the iPod's operating instructions it is also possible to have music you have stored on the iPod playing through the 4306 while viewing the slideshows on your TV monitor.

I'm happy...
post #13 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=567248

this thread may not say "official" but it has over 800+ replies and 66,000 views. so you may get more info from it or the mods may need to merge this into it to save space.

Maybe the mods could rename the other thread to say "official" then?

The Denon AVR-4306 receiver deserves to have an "official" thread just as much as many other receivers have? It just sounds better...
post #14 of 2397 Old 04-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

I am glad there is an "official" thread. Now if someone could tell me why the video, when converted from 480i/p component to HDMI, gives me light and dark bands that would be great.

-Gergg

Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 2397 Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Troy;
Dave's iPod discrete takes you directly to the ipod menus on the 4306. I've tested all off the iPod discretes w/ a Pronto, and then taught them to a Harmony and tested them.

Cheers
Dan
post #16 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Groovit,

A post from the other thread...

Quote:

I have been implementing the AVR 4306 lately and I have run across several issues. I will list my observations here and hope to hear from others with similar experiences......

1)Network audio and USB sources are digital and thus not available in the zone2 and zone3 signal outputs. They are, however, available in the Tape/VCR outputs which repeat zone2 content. To allow these digital signals to be fed to an external amplifier in zone2, I used the Tape out which activates with zone2 but then switched to a dead input before I switched zone2 off (using a Pronto). This provided me with a solution that behaved exactly as if I were using the zone2 output. These digital sources are also available to the zone2/3 reassigned speaker output.

2)Zone2/3 control of the network audio, USB and iPod are not possible when the main zone is off with the exception of the G1-8 preset controls (pg 79 of 4306 manual). This includes track skip and preset selection. This limitation really sucks!
I did, however, discover that these controls and more are available through the computer's browser using the IP address even with the main zone off.

3)Somehow it eluded me to test if the net audio, USB, iPod controls actually work when the main zone is on but with another source selected. Does anyone have experience with this?

4)Denon lists many discrete codes including those related to the Net audio, USB and iPod functions that are not available on the factory remote (Some are available via toggle or menu navigation). They are in Sharp or Kaseikyo format. I am new to format conversion and I am trying to learn. Does anyone have these codes in a Hex form already?

5)I have not implemented a USB device or activated the XM radio features. I would appreciate any information on the limitations or idiosyncracies associated with these so that I can arm myself!

Thanks, Troy

Some thoughts in regard to your points:

1. They worked for me in Zone 2 without a problem - using the sourround back speakers for zone two. I think that it should work as preouts as well. No need to do the big work through that you describe.

2. I think all zone 2 & 3 functions are off if the main zone is off.

3. I don't understand your question. They work when you need them.

4. No idea.

5. The USB works - i have used a pocket flash drive with it without a problem. I portable harddisk, however, did not get enough juice to run through the usb port. I will try giving the hard disk external power and see if it will work soon. I also want to try out an external harddrive soon.

I am thinking it would be nice to have a network attached drive that serves files directly to the 4306 without a computer. Something like the buffalo link station. Any ideas regarding if this works?
post #17 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el stumbo View Post

I am thinking it would be nice to have a network attached drive that serves files directly to the 4306 without a computer. Something like the buffalo link station. Any ideas regarding if this works?

The Buffalo Linkstation Home Server looks like it would work.
Buffalo Linkstation Home Server

" Built-in DLNA CERTIFIED server for easy playback of multimedia files to any DLNA CERTIFIED device"

Not available here in Australia yet, so I can not test it out.
post #18 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 PM

Just figured something out with zone 2 - it works with the main zone off. But you must turn off the main zone with the remote and while the remote is in zone 2 mode. otherwise everything is turned off...

yeah, when the main zone is off, it seems as though you cannot browse to new sources within the network audio for zone 2...maybe this could be done through the internet though, yet painfully slow I would imagine.
post #19 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreezetas View Post

The Buffalo Linkstation Home Server looks like it would work.
Buffalo Linkstation Home Server

" Built-in DLNA CERTIFIED server for easy playback of multimedia files to any DLNA CERTIFIED device"

Not available here in Australia yet, so I can not test it out.

Is the 4306 DLNA certified?

How would this work? On the computer we need to have windows media connect or a similar type of server running to access the files. Does WMC run on the Buffalo link station home server or is it already set up with something that should work straight out of the box? or?
post #20 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Why are you guys bothering with an iPod directly connected to this receiver? I would venture to guess that most people buying a 4306 would have invested a great deal (conservatively, I'd estimate that few with this receiver have put less than 5-6K into their display and speakers). Why not just get a single or dual-core Mac Mini and then use that directly?

Taking a great audio/video system and then playing moderately to highly compressed audio or video through it seems like a bad idea. I now have two iTunes libraries--one encoded in Apple lossless and the other with mp4 files for our iPods. With over 500 CDs ripped into lossless so far, I still haven't filled one 250GB drive, and these are also getting fairly cheap. The only music that I'll ever play through the dedicated audio/theater system we're building (besides the occasional SACD via a DVD player) will be the lossless audio via a MacMini that will be dedicated to this system. Given that the entry model starts at $599, this will be a relatively inexpensive way to get the benefits of digital without the pain of compression loss.
post #21 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 07:33 PM

KKTX,

Try it you'll like it. Lossen up and play what you want through the system - any and all. I guess I'm one of the few...

You can save your $599 and go direct with the 4306 - sounds just fine to me. MP3 at a good compression rate of at least 192 (and also even 128) will do wonderfully through this system. You got the MP3s, play them or ship them to me - I only have about 150gig worth and still looking for more, but need to expand my harddisk with a possible Buffalo linkstation.

The 4306 provides plenty of functions which without you would need to have multiple devices to juggle-ie macmini...

You do not need to spend so much to get good quality; my speaker set up costs 2K. My display is just a regular TV at this point - am looking into a flatty.
post #22 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Is the 4306 DLNA certified?

How would this work? On the computer we need to have windows media connect or a similar type of server running to access the files. Does WMC run on the Buffalo link station home server or is it already set up with something that should work straight out of the box? or?

I have no idea if the Denon 4306 is DLNA certified, but in the manual it does mention DLNA devices.
Page 46 under Music Server Function.

I would think the Buffalo Linkstation Home would have some embedded software running on it that allows the Denon or other DLNA devices to see it.

If it was available here in Australia I would test it out, worse case is I end up with a NAS storage device that I require anyway.
post #23 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktx View Post

Why not just get a single or dual-core Mac Mini and then use that directly?

Very close to going this way myself, but as I need a NAS for home I am also looking at other options to try.

In the end a Mac Mini with extra storage added is the "best" way to go as you suggest.
Use Front Row on the Mac with the 4306 and away you go, music, video and pictures etc.
Sysnc the iPod with the Mac and take your music anywhere.

The advantage of the USB and iPod connection on the Denon for me is when friends come over you can plug their music straight into your audio system and play it.
post #24 of 2397 Old 04-14-2006, 10:19 PM

El stumbo--My estimate is fairly consistent with your response. 2K MSRP for the receiver, another 2K for speakers and I'll guess close to 1K for your display device. I would venture to guess that many with this receiver (as opposed to other, excellent cheaper receivers in the ~1K price point) have spent substantially more. I really have no problem with compressed music at all (I do it myself on my iPod, and am perfectly happy listening to CDs in my car, where audio quality and fidelity is far from great). I just don't see the point in spending this much on a system if you'll primarily be listening to 128 kbps mp3 files. I'll also note that the MacMini can output HD-quality video via DVI, for those interested in the video aspects of iPod output.

mrfreezetas--I agree completely, and understand that there is also a time and place (e.g., sharing with friends) for a lower fidelity input than ideal. Since I've owned several Macs but none are new Front Row loaded machines, I've been perfectly happy with the iTunes interface, but will look forward to seeing how Front Row looks. Cheap wireless keyboard, MacMini hidden away with hard drive, full quality music--I can't wait until the audio/video room is done. And now with "Boot camp" even the Apple naysayers who need their Windows (e.g. for gaming) can have everything in one place.
post #25 of 2397 Old 04-15-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoFobe View Post

[b][size=4][color=White]Hold The Presses!!!

Congrats! Let me know anything else that you run across.
post #26 of 2397 Old 04-15-2006, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Groovit,

A post from the other thread...

Some thoughts in regard to your points:

1. They worked for me in Zone 2 without a problem - using the sourround back speakers for zone two. I think that it should work as preouts as well. No need to do the big work through that you describe.

The Zone 2/3 pre outs do not pass digital info (USB, Net, coax, optical). The tape outs do, however.

Quote:

2. I think all zone 2 & 3 functions are off if the main zone is off.

I think you already answered this. The Off hard button while in amp mode is an all off. While in zone2/3 mode it is a main zone off.

Quote:

3. I don't understand your question. They work when you need them.

My question was..... If the main zone is on and a source other than one of the aux inputs is selected in the main zone, will the controls for the aux sources still work when listening to them in zones 2 or 3. I have already established that control of the aux sources (other than the G1-8 commands) when listening in zones 2/3 do not work when the main zone is off. I can understand this from the point of view that it is meant largely as an on screen navigation system but it is a real pain when you are unable to skip tracks or use your preset controls unless the main zone is on. It would be even more tragic if these controls were not available when the main zone is on but with different source selected. I do not have one at the moment to test this.

Quote:

4. No idea.

This one has been patially answered in another post regarding Dave's PCF

Quote:

5. The USB works - i have used a pocket flash drive with it without a problem. I portable harddisk, however, did not get enough juice to run through the usb port. I will try giving the hard disk external power and see if it will work soon. I also want to try out an external harddrive soon.

I was thinking that you could load up a hard drive via the network or a USB from the computer and then hook it up via USB to the receiver but it would be much nicer to avoid the plugging and unplugging involved in updating the drive.

Is anyone aware of a drive that could be networked while simultaneously connected via usb to the receiver? This would eliminate the windows media connect issue that comes up when networking a drive directly to the receiver without a server.

The whole network-USB-iPod debate going on now seems to be pointing to the larger issue of where the music is stored. If you are using iTunes and your media connect is pointing to the same source files then home use of the iPod is not really needed. Just use the net audio to pull off the same files. The only thing you loose is the iTunes playlist access which can be reconstructed in Windows media Player if it is not too much of a hassle. However, having a connection available for other iPods is cool but this can be achieved with a manual connection using the front receiver inputs. Who wants to burn in their display with all of that on screen navigation anyway?

The USB has similar considerations. If used as a temporary source (portable drive) then no problem. If used as a permanent input I guess the only option so far is a local media server or laptop dedicated to the audio system.
post #27 of 2397 Old 04-16-2006, 01:59 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw how to do this in the "manual" but for the life of me I can't find it now.
(How) can I set the 4306 to use a particular mode, i.e. pure audio or Dolby Digital everytime a particular device is selected? For instance, I like to listen to cd's in pure audio, but after turning off the receiver after listening to cd's and then turning it on to watch a high def broadcast, the HD DirecTivo is in the pure audio mode with the video input selected and hence there is no video until I change to Dolby.
I would like default audio modes for each input: DD for HD DirecTv and dvd, Pure Audio for cd's. It is kind of a pain to have to change both the source input and the audio mode each time I turn on the 4306.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #28 of 2397 Old 04-16-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

rsblaski,

The audio mode settings should default to the last known setting of each individual device. I am not aware of a reset that occurs when the unit is power cycled (at least not with any other Denon piece that I have seen). I will look into it to see if the Pure setting is a global setting that, because of the change in circuitry pathways, functions differently.

Troy
post #29 of 2397 Old 04-16-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdan27 View Post

Troy;
Dave's iPod discrete takes you directly to the ipod menus on the 4306. I've tested all off the iPod discretes w/ a Pronto, and then taught them to a Harmony and tested them.

Cheers
Dan

Dan,

By chance, have you checked to see if any of these aux source (iPod-USB-Net) discrete codes from Dave's PCF control the aux devices when listening in zone 2 or 3 with the main zone off? In particular, the Multi preset, skip and random codes for these three souces.

I will have a chance to test myself next week.

Troy
post #30 of 2397 Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 AM

Hi,

What do you think the chances are of this player being firmware upgradable to HDMI 1.3, once the specs are finalised?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4306b 7 1 Ch Home Theater Multimedia A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - 4306b by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page