HK AVR 525 DIED! what to do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well,
As stated in the subject, my reciever is not working. It is about three years old and recently started acting funny.

When I would turn on the Multiroom (power by channel 6+7) I would get some sound through my center channel speaker, which happens to be the speaker input right above the two for channel's 6+7. I checked the wires to make sure it was not touching and it wasn't (I use Bannana Plugs for all my wires except the center).

A little odd. Then one day I lost a channel. All of a sudden one of my multiroom channels was not working.
So I started playing with it a bit in the OSD to switch between 7 channel and 5 channel + multiroom. I also hooked up an old AVR to the multiroom rca outs.

Then, for some reason the system would not turn on. I could get the multiroom to turn on, but the Main system would not. It was not in protect from what I can tell because the light was amber and would turn green for a brief second. I tried unplugging everything on the back panel...nothing. I tried resetting the processor..nothing.

When I press the power button it goes green for a split second and shuts down. The tech thought it might be the power supply. The unit is NOT under warranty anymore and I can't decide what to do. It is going to be $50-80 just to get someone to look at it and tell me what's wrong. It just doesn't seem worth fixing if it is around $200-300 because I would constantly doubt the system and worry about it breaking again.

Help, please.

Eric

Still Learning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-27-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

It sucks, but it sounds like you need to start shopping. I had an Onkyo fixed once under warranty then it died again after warranty.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-27-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I totally agree with eric. (time to go shopping). But, it would depend on a couple of factors for me.
a.How much the unit cost.
b.How much the repair would cost.
c.How much a new up to date replacement would cost.
ie. if the unit cost me a grand i would no dought put a couple hundred into it for repairs.
if the unit was only like 500 and it was going to cost a couple hundred to repair and a replacement unit was going to cost only a few hundred more then the repair i would buy the replacement especially if it had all the new bells and whistles.
I would never put more then 50% of the original price into anything for repair costs.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-27-2006, 03:27 PM

how much it will cost to repair. If the item will cost you around 300-400 dollars to fix, I'd look at other models that have newer features. At a certain point it's not worth getting fixed.

Also consider throwing it on eBay for parts or repair. Some people will pay a decent amount of money for it. Hell, I saw a banged up Panasonic XR55 going for almost a hundred bucks.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-27-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's

the problem is I don't know how much it will cost to repair it unless I pay someone $70 to look at it (the 70 can go to the repair if i decide to do it). So I am in a catch 22. If I decide to find out how much it will cost to repair, I am putting $70 at risk and would be throwing it away if its not worth fixing.

Maybe I will throw it on Ebay and see if anyone is interested.

Right now I am just super pissed because HK is supposed to be a "good" brand that I can trust. I will have a hard time ever spending money on a Harman Kardon again.

Still Learning...
post #6 of 6 Old 04-28-2006, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

All electronic components are subject to failure. For longest life keep equipment as cool as reasonably possible.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page