Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There wasn't one, so here is a thread for the new low end recivers from Sony:

STR-DG500
STR-DG600
STR-DG800

-------------

We just got an STR-DG600. I paid $254.99 + tax from Circuit City.

Quick review based on one day of casual use.

I replaced a mid to low-range audiophile stereo with the budget consumer
STR-DG600. The DG600 is about 1/5 the price of the hardware it replaced. We use this system primarly for watching TV or movies. My old power amp was 100WPC class A. Its a huge heavy box my wife calls 'the bomb' She was glad to see it go.

It works.

Easy to hook up. The rear panel is clearly labled and well laid out.
There are low-cost binding posts for all 7 amplifier outputs. The are better than the pin terminals seen on some econonmy recivers. I recomend using banana plugs.

I hooked my Motorola 6412 DVR to one component Video input and our DVD player to the other. You can reassign the two component video inputs to any of the other inputs. Component video output went to our Sony Grand Wega IV.

The unit will upconvert composit video to s-video. That's a worthless feature as our GW TV does at least as good a job. Bet they use the same chip. Nevertheless, I will try it with the VCR as soon as I free up some cables.

For casual TV viewing the DG600 sounds fine.
Video switching works althoug I wish it was a little faster.
I just ordered another set of component cables. I'll try an A/B comparison of HD video direct from the DVR vs. switched through the reciver. Look for results in by this weekend.

At first glance the configuration menus look to be confusing and hard to use. Some options I'd like to see aren't there and ones I'd never want are. The users manual is only a little better. I'm going to need help outside the manual to get the most out of this complex beast.

The listing of remote codes in the manual is very small. I hope to be able to use it to control the TV, DVD player and DVR. I will post updates.

I've had no luck getting a signal from the pre-outs. I'd like to use my TV speakers for the center channel. Does anyone know if that is possible?

I wish there was an audio pass through so we could use just the TV speakers when we don't want full home theater

My HD DVD player is NOT for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 05-02-2006, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Day two with the Sony STR-DG600

I have not been able to program the remote to control our 1 year old Sony TV. I carefully read and reread the manual and followed the steps exactly. It doesn't work. The remote may have a bug or the instructions in the manual are wrong.

The manual was written by an engineer who speaks English as a second language.

I have had no luck getting a signal out of the pre-out jacks. The manual doesn't say anything about how to use the jacks. They may not be enabled.

The menu system is difficult to use. Simple things like setting the balance or tone controls require paging through the terrible manual.

Even if you a Software Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering like me expect to have trouble learning to use this reciever.

I am considering returning it and getting something else.

Andrew

post #3 of 113 Old 05-02-2006, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

I returned the STR-DG600 to Circuit City. They took it back as a defective unit because the remote would not program.

The bang for the buck isn't bad. The problems are all in the UI. The terrible manual doesn't help.

Avoid the STR-DGx00 series. Even if Sony rewrites the manual don't buy it.

I'm shopping for something else. I'm leaning towards the HK AVR-240.

Andrew

post #4 of 113 Old 05-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
I dumped my sony receiver for a avr335 refurb off ebay (300 bux shipped) and couldn't be any more pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew535 View Post

I returned the STR-DG600 to Circuit City. They took it back as a defective unit because the remote would not program.

The bang for the buck isn't bad. The problems are all in the UI. The terrible manual doesn't help.

Avoid the STR-DGx00 series. Even if Sony rewrites the manual don't buy it.

I'm shopping for something else. I'm leaning towards the HK AVR-240.

Andrew

post #5 of 113 Old 05-03-2006, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

I dumped my sony receiver for a avr335 refurb off ebay (300 bux shipped) and couldn't be any more pleased.

A refurb AVR 235 direct from HK is on the way to me. It cost me less than the DG600.

post #6 of 113 Old 05-03-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

wow.. this thread came to a quick conclusion.

Boo!
post #7 of 113 Old 05-03-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

wow.. this thread came to a quick conclusion.

As it should The DG600 is terrible.

Someone may get an STR-DG800 for the low cost HDMI switch.

I think it would be easier to climb behind my system and move cables around.

post #8 of 113 Old 05-03-2006, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

So is anybody else wondering what happened to the STR-DF series?

Jeremy Gillow
post #9 of 113 Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

So is anybody else wondering what happened to the STR-DF series?

Sony replaced the Dumb F*** engineer with someone from marketing.

post #10 of 113 Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not the only one who had trouble with the remote. There is a review for the STR-DG800 on Amazon that reports the same problem.

post #11 of 113 Old 05-09-2006, 10:23 AM

Hi all,

I Spent a great deal of time cabling everything and I think I have a bad unit (STR-D600) but wanted to double check with everyone on the forum before ripping it out and taking it back to the store. Appreciate your feedback.

I am able to connect Video 2 in , DVD in with my VCR & DVD and using the Monitor Out (S Video) to my TV.

However , I when I try to connect my Satellite to the Video 1 in and use Video 1 out back to my VCR for recording, it does not seem to work, it seem all my Video 1 Outputs ( S-Video , Composite Video , Audio ) is being out put. I moved my cable from the monitor out to the Video 1 out and got no signal. I was expecting the Receiver will take the Video 1 in and also send the same signal back via Video 1 out so I can connect it to a DVD recorder or VCR ?

Please let me know if any of you are using Video 1 in / out with better luck or Do I just have a bad unit and need to take to back.

Thanks,
Chankj
post #12 of 113 Old 05-09-2006, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

does the unit do video conversion? I.e if you input S-video will component br put out? if not then when you input s-video into the receiver you need to select the s-video input on the display to see anything

Boo!
post #13 of 113 Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

does the unit do video conversion? I.e if you input S-video will component br put out? if not then when you input s-video into the receiver you need to select the s-video input on the display to see anything

The DG600 up converts from composite to s-video only. It does not up convert from s-video to component. I didn't get a chance to try it before I returned my unit.

The DG800 does up convert both composite and s-video to component.

post #14 of 113 Old 05-10-2006, 06:46 PM

Hi , I was able to reach Sony esupport and basically they told me :

It is recommended to connect either the Video1 OUT or Video1 IN , but not both. Since it will not output or input in the receiver.

They told me the scenario you would use the Video 1 Out is :
You can connect the Satellite dish to the Video2 IN and then connect the VCR to the Video1 OUT. This'll work.

This was consistent with what there knowledge base indicated. It was very confusing and not very useful to have Video 1 Input / Output that cannot be use concurrently.

Knowledge Article C358548
No audio through the VIDEO 1 output when the audio is input to VIDEO 1.

Audio input to a specific connection cannot be output through the same connection. Audio input to the VIDEO 1 INPUT connection cannot be output through the VIDEO 1 OUTPUT. This is normal operation.

I will probably keep my unit since everything else seem to be fine and avoid hassle of returning the unit and ripping out all the cables.
post #15 of 113 Old 05-11-2006, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chankj View Post

Audio input to a specific connection cannot be output through the same connection. Audio input to the VIDEO 1 INPUT connection cannot be output through the VIDEO 1 OUTPUT. This is normal operation.

Maybe normal for Sony, but certainly not what you'd expect.

I didn't think to try Video 2 before I returned mine.

That also means you can't use one of them as an audio pass through to the TV speakers.

What if you are using all of the inputs?

post #16 of 113 Old 05-21-2006, 05:10 PM

OK, so I still like Sony and just received my STR-DG800 from Amazon and plugged DVD and TV and speakers in.

First problem, when watching DVD, my rear speakers don't work and the lamp in middle of LED panel doesn't light up to show that decoding multi-channel signal from DVD.

I have DVD video to receiver by Video S cable and then another Video S Cable to TV (I have older 32" Sony TV, waiting on new 2006 rear projection LCDs) and for audio just normal 2 wire audio cable with RCA plugs from DVD to receiver. Sony DVD light is on saying Prologic sound signal.

Q: What am I doing wrong. Old style audio cables will transmit Dolby signal correct, I don't have-to-have the newer digital cables do I?

Thanks in advance . . . .

PS: I've just ordered a digital coaxial & an optical cable from a web store to see if one of those solves the problem, should arrive in max 1 week.
post #17 of 113 Old 05-22-2006, 05:53 AM

If you don't have Optical or Coax audio connected, you won't get surround output other than ProLogic. While you wait for your cables to come in, take one of your composite cables and connect it to the coax digital audio output of your DVD player and the coax digital audio input on your reciever. That should give you 7.1 (or 6.1 or 5.1 depending on your setup) from your reciever.
post #18 of 113 Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM

Thx packbacker, will try that trick with temp poorboy cable, OK so I should still be able to get analog Dolby 5.1 via old style cables, still don;t know why receiver doesn't acknowledge . . . .
post #19 of 113 Old 05-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Actually the 'old style' (composite or 'red and white') cables won't pass 5.1. They will only pass dolby prologic and 2 channel signals.
post #20 of 113 Old 05-30-2006, 06:25 AM

Hello everyone, I'm reading this thread and I'm thinking that these receivers are unjustly getting a bad name. I'm going to quote a few posts and offer my input to hopefully get these off of the junk list. I am the owner of an STR-DG600.

Quote:

The unit will upconvert composit video to s-video. That's a worthless feature as our GW TV does at least as good a job. Bet they use the same chip. Nevertheless, I will try it with the VCR as soon as I free up some cables.

Hardly a useless feature. When using a older Nintendo 64, it's nice to not need to switch inputs on my television. The upconversions to S VID is automatic and works very very well.

Quote:

Video switching works althoug I wish it was a little faster.

I cannot comment on component switching, but svideo switching was instantaneous with the switching of the source.

Quote:

I've had no luck getting a signal from the pre-outs. I'd like to use my TV speakers for the center channel. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Quote:

I have had no luck getting a signal out of the pre-out jacks. The manual doesn't say anything about how to use the jacks. They may not be enabled.

If you look carefully on the rear panel, the only Pre-outs are for the subwoofer and the surround speakers. There is no pre-out for the center channel. Directly adjacent to the pre-outs on the rear panel is the multi-channel input. This has an input for each individual channel, including the center. It's close proximity to the pre-out may have lead you to mistakenly believe that the connection for center was a pre-out.

Quote:

I have not been able to program the remote to control our 1 year old Sony TV.

The remote should operate any Sony television out of the box without programming. My 5 year old Sony set was no exception. Of course it is possible that you had a bad remote.

Quote:

Even if you a Software Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering like me expect to have trouble learning to use this reciever.The menu system is difficult to use. Simple things like setting the balance or tone controls require paging through the terrible manual.

I'll admit the menu system is somewhat cryptic. 80% of which I was able to decipher, but checking in the manual is helpful.

Quote:

However , I when I try to connect my Satellite to the Video 1 in and use Video 1 out back to my VCR for recording, it does not seem to work, it seem all my Video 1 Outputs ( S-Video , Composite Video , Audio ) is being out put. I moved my cable from the monitor out to the Video 1 out and got no signal. I was expecting the Receiver will take the Video 1 in and also send the same signal back via Video 1 out so I can connect it to a DVD recorder or VCR ?

This is by design. It is assumed, and rightfully so, that the output from video 1 and the input to video 1 will be connected to the same device. When video 1 is selected as the source, the output to video 1 is disabled to prevent an audio/video feedback loop. To work around this problem, connect your recording unit (be it VCR, PVR, DVD-R) to video 1 and whatever sources you may want to record to any other input. I would have liked to see sony include outputs on video 2.

Quote:

Thx packbacker, will try that trick with temp poorboy cable, OK so I should still be able to get analog Dolby 5.1 via old style cables, still don;t know why receiver doesn't acknowledge . . . .

Regular RCA cables WILL carry digital signal, just NOT through the analog inputs. Simply connect one side to the coax input on the receiver and the other side to the coax output on the device. This will solve your problem. In the event that you're using a Red/White pair, use white on both sides and leave the red disconnected. This is not the ideal solution, but other than aesthetics (will you really see it?) it will work perfectly fine over short distances.

I've had the STR-DG600 for 4 days now. I am very happy with it , particularly in comparison to my old STR-D550Z that served me for many many years. With decent speakers and quality source devices, there is no reason that this receiver will not make anyone in the market for a budget dolby digital setup very happy.

Digital input from my HTPC, DVD Player, and Xbox are flawless and svideo switching is a major plus. This isn't designed for the person with entirely HD components as there are only 2 HD capable video inputs. But for me still enjoying my 32in standard def TV, it works just fine.

-Nick
post #21 of 113 Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMoo View Post

I've had the STR-DG600 for 4 days now. I am very happy with it , particularly in comparison to my old STR-D550Z that served me for many many years. With decent speakers and quality source devices, there is no reason that this receiver will not make anyone in the market for a budget dolby digital setup very happy.

I'm glad you like your receiver. I also welcome an alternate view. I do agree that for a budget receiver the sound quality isn't bad. Much better than what a budget unit would have sounded like 20 years ago. Sony does get a lot of features in at a low price point.

If it were my design, I would have dropped some features to concentrate on core usability. The best designs do not require a manual at all. I would have traded the XM tuner for a larger display. I would have simplified the menus. I would never have signed off on that owner's manual. I'm not sure about more controls on the front panel. That adds a lot to the cost of the unit. It can also add complexity.

The Harman/Kardon AVR-235 is a much better receiver and it cost me less than the DG600. I paid the new price for the DG600 and the AVR-235 was a refurb. Someone may have picked up the DG600 I returned at a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMoo View Post

I cannot comment on component switching, but svideo switching was instantaneous with the switching of the source.

On reflection, some of the delay was our Sony KDF-55WE655 TV.

Quote:

If you look carefully on the rear panel, the only Pre-outs are for the subwoofer and the surround speakers.

Fair enough, but that isn't covered in the manual. The pre-amp outputs should be more flexible. The H/K has pre outs for all 7.1 channels.

Quote:

The remote should operate any Sony television out of the box without programming. My 5 year old Sony set was no exception. Of course it is possible that you had a bad remote.

Yes it should. I was suprised when it didn't work with ours. I'm beginning to think the first batch of receivers came with defective remotes. I've seen a few other reports that the remote just didn't work. I did try a fresh set of batteries.

post #22 of 113 Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 AM

For the record, the Preouts and multi in are covered in the manual.

The multi channel in is covered on page 20 and the pre out is covered on pages 10 and 16. I agree there is no through explanation, but it is there.

I'm still in the return period of my Sony unit. I'll give the HK a look, but it's unlikely I'll switch unless I have an issue with the Sony. My girlfriend and I watched serval movies in 5.1 and played several xbox games in 5.1 over the weekend and we couldn't be much happier. I'm glad I sprung for the xbox optical adapater awhile back.

-Nick
post #23 of 113 Old 06-09-2006, 12:05 PM

We are in the process of completing our new audio/visual system. Cabinets are finished. Speakers are installed. We have ordered a Sony 40" Bravia which will be delivered next week. We got a new DVD changer a few months ago - a lower end Yamaha - primarily because it plays all music formats we want to use. I would consider getting a second better DVD player for DVDs only. We also have a Sony CD changer. Perhaps we will upgrade to hard drive music storage one day down the road when it has come down in price - but that's not in the cards right now. We use an old Sony Remote Commander - and we will probably replace it with some type of newer remote that operates all our components. So remotes aren't an issue.

Our next purchasing decision is a new receiver. Our current receiver is a Sony STR-DE935/835 (not a high end receiver). It has served us well - but it's obsolete in terms of inputs/outputs. I am looking at the Sony STR-DG800 - which seems to be in about the same ballpark as our old receiver. I've read all the messages here - and it seems that a lot of people think it's junk. But - since I've had good luck with Sony in the past - I'm not prepared to rule it out right away.

I do have a few questions. Some of them are probably stupid - because I only buy a new receiver once every 7-10 years - and I don't keep up with new developments in the interim. So please indulge me.

I do not understand how one would use the HDMI inputs/outputs on this receiver - and how they differ from HDMI inputs/outputs on higher priced receivers. None of our other components has HDMI anything except the TV. We will be using a cablecard with the TV. So can you plug the component cables from the DVD changer into the receiver - and then use the HDMI out to the TV? If you can - what - if anything - would a higher priced receiver do better than this Sony?

If I can't do "component in/HDMI out" from the DVD player - do I need HDMI at all?

This TV only has one HDMI connection - and it is an "in" connection. I guess one uses an optical connection or similar to get the audio from the TV into the receiver. Is the Sony receiver deficient in terms of dealing with the output from TVs? Which brings up another probably dumb question - is there such a thing as "HDMI out" from a TV (maybe I am getting the wrong TV)? Anyway - thanks for any feedback about this receiver. Robyn
post #24 of 113 Old 06-10-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn55 View Post

I do not understand how one would use the HDMI inputs/outputs on this receiver - and how they differ from HDMI inputs/outputs on higher priced receivers. None of our other components has HDMI anything except the TV. We will be using a cablecard with the TV. So can you plug the component cables from the DVD changer into the receiver - and then use the HDMI out to the TV?

The DG800 has HDMI pass through. It does not convert other formats to HDMI.
The HDMI switch is of no use with your configuration.

Quote:

This TV only has one HDMI connection - and it is an "in" connection. I guess one uses an optical connection or similar to get the audio from the TV into the receiver.

I don't know how the optical out on your current Sony TV works. BUT the optical output on our older Sony TV is only on when the TV is reciving a Dolby 5.1 signal. So for many channels there is nothing coming out of the TVs optical output. The analog stereo jacks always work, but only if you turn off the sets speakers. It may work differently with a cable card. You should read the manual for your TV.

Quote:

Which brings up another probably dumb question - is there such a thing as "HDMI out" from a TV ?

I've never seen it. Possibly there is one somewhere. I can't think of too many situations where HDMI out from a TV would be usefull.
----

Since you won't be using the HDMI switch, what else is in the STR-DG800 that makes it attractive to you? For a lot less money, the DG600 is more or less the same unit minus the HDMI switch.

Are you buying Sony just because of the brand name? There are better choices out there.

post #25 of 113 Old 06-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Hi Andrew - Thanks for this informative answer. I find audio/video systems very confusing these days. Much more confusing than computer systems. And that is kind of a sorry commentary in my opinion. What are all these manufacturers/content providers thinking of? I go into stores ready to spend money and come out shaking my head. Our CD changer is 10 years old now - I'd like to uggrade - and I thought it would be a snap to buy a hard drive component to store all our music. Boy - was I wrong. Not only are these components ridiculously expensive - but for all that money you pretty much don't get simple features like being able to store your music in groups - and play randomly within groups. And - since I don't want to install a 3rd computer system just to handle music - or allow a music system to communicate by wireless with our existing computer systems - I am stuck with what I think is ancient technology. Anyway - off of soapbox.

Only reason I favor the Sony is because I've been very happy with our Sony Remote Commander when it comes to using it with Sony components (it works with other brands once you find the right codes - which can be a PITA - but sometimes some of the functions are lost). I am too lazy to buy a remote that's really hard to program - and offended at the idea that I need to hire a "technician" at X dollars an hour to program a remote - which is what many salesmen suggest). And I don't like to juggle remotes just to watch an old Seinfeld DVD and pause it in the middle when I have to go to the bathroom .

But I am open to other brands when it comes to receivers. Which ones would you suggest looking at?

Another option in light of what you said is keeping the receiver I have. I'll have to make a schematic of the inputs/outputs - but off the top of my head - it seems like the only possible difference in my connections if I got a new receiver would be upgrading the DVD output from S-video to component. I will have to read a bit on whether an S-video to component upgrade is a big improvement. If it isn't - perhaps it makes sense to wait until I am ready to get a DVD player with an HDMI output.

Note that I am pretty good with these setups - but I have to play with them for a while to get them working the way I like. One perennial trouble area is getting the TV speakers to play while the external speakers are playing. I have managed to get that working in the current setup (which was temporary until we got the new TV). The challenge is getting stuff like this to work with a minimum number of wires (that's always an interesting rainy day project!). Robyn

P.S. The old television in this system was a 10 year old Sony 32" XBR - and I did get it set up so I could play the TV speakers with the external speakers no matter what I was watching - although I had to use the TV setting to adjust the TV speaker volume - and the receiver setting to adjust the external speaker volume. So don't necessarily believe what the manual tells you about these setups in terms of what can/can't be done. Sometimes "no" means "no" - but frequently a little fiddling goes a long way.
post #26 of 113 Old 06-14-2006, 07:00 AM

I purchased the low end Str-DG500 and it does a good job so far for the price.
The only problem I am having is I have my DVD player connected to the analog multi ch in ports. When I select DVD via the remote it does not automatical select these ports for input. I have to get up and push the button on the receiver to get audio. I can't figure out how to get the receiver to do it. Help.

Jimmy
post #27 of 113 Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn55 View Post

I find audio/video systems very confusing these days. Much more confusing than computer systems. And that is kind of a sorry commentary in my opinion.

I agree. There is too much emphasis on features and not enough on everything else. Sony isn't alone here.

Quote:

I'd like to uggrade - and I thought it would be a snap to buy a hard drive component to store all our music. Boy - was I wrong.

Have you looked at getting an iPod? Several recivers have iPod docks now. They provide power and you can controll the iPod with the reciver's remote. I don't think an iPod can shuffle songs in a single playlist though. But you can use iTunes to make a list and then sync your iPod. A little awkward.

Quote:

I am too lazy to buy a remote that's really hard to program

Take a look at the Harmony remotes from Logitech. The remotes forum here on AVS is a good resource too.

Quote:

But I am open to other brands when it comes to receivers. Which ones would you suggest looking at?

I like Harmon/Kardan. It does have some flaws but it is miles better than the Sony. And it cost me less too. There are others but I don't have enough experience to give a personal recomendation.

Quote:

I will have to read a bit on whether an S-video to component upgrade is a big improvement. If it isn't - perhaps it makes sense to wait until I am ready to get a DVD player with an HDMI output.

I can see the difference between s-video and component on our 50" Sony GWIV. I could even see it on the Standard-def set we had before that.

HDMI is a small improvement over component with standard-def source. I can really see the difference with an HD source.

Quote:

One perennial trouble area is getting the TV speakers to play while the external speakers are playing. I have managed to get that working in the current setup (which was temporary until we got the new TV).

You can connect the TV speakers to the center channel output of the reciver .

I connected the second set of outputs from our DVR directly to the TV, bypassing the reciver. This way we can watch cable using just the TV for audio.

post #28 of 113 Old 06-14-2006, 04:57 PM

I purchased a Sony STR-DG800 from Best Buy and ended up taking it back the next day. The main problem was its inability to reliably detect and decode a Dolby Digital bitstream via optical. Many times there would just be no audio output until I switched back and forth between inputs or switched the receiver off and back on. I was also not impressed with Sony's auto speaker setup. Didn't seem to be as accurate as others I've used.
post #29 of 113 Old 08-12-2006, 12:59 AM

Picked up the bottom of the barrel Sony STR-DG500 to use an low cost audio amp, its stereo specifications easily destroy all of it's simularly priced competition. It's rated at 100W x 6 @ 0.09% THD. Uses descrete high current amplification (as far as I can tell). Basically its amp section seems to be a class above simularly priced units. I've listened to it and it seems to sound rather good (compared to various other junk in the same class such as the Pio VSX-516 and Yamaha HTR 5920. At least I find it's sound far better then simularly priced units your milage may vary.

Now as far as the feature set, I dunno, I didn't care so much about the 'multifunctional' remote however this receiver is full of features. Including some stuff that only higher end models have such as AV Sync Delay. The only real thing I wish it had is the MCACC like the Pioneer units have. Per speaker EQ would have been nice. But other then that I fail to see why are ppl in this thread are bashing a rather excellent unit. I didn't find it's menus complex at all. Navigation was rather easy, up/down to switch go thru options on the 'level' right to go into the option, up down to change them and left to go back a level. Easy. The microphone setup seemed to work fine for me, the distances were within 1 foot tolerance and levels seemed fine.

Speakers i tried the STRDG500 were Paradigm Monitor 5 v.4 and Athena AS-B2.2
post #30 of 113 Old 08-12-2006, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0b View Post

Picked up the bottom of the barrel Sony STR-DG500 to use an low cost audio amp, its stereo specifications easily destroy all of it's simularly priced competition. It's rated at 100W x 6 @ 0.09% THD.

If only it lived up to the specs.

The power supply is only large enough to drive a single channel to 100W. Actual all channels driven power is far lower.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page