Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

So looks like it's getting packed up and sent off for a repair and or replacement. Personally I want a replacement as who knows what other issues it could have. Makes me question Anthem's quality control and testing before they ship their units out. Not very happy at the moment.

You should be able to get a replacement. I had an issue on my brand new D2v a year ago where it would totally garble the setup menu and was given the choice by Anthem to repair or replace so opted for replacement. The only problem was at the time the units were still in short supply so it took close to a month the get the replacement but luckily my original D2v was still functional minus the setup menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks guys.... I will be looking into this later today or tomorrow when I have some time... I'll try all suggestions - roll back PCH if I have to.

FWIW - where is the frame lock setting in the D2v now with 2.10 ?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Thanks guys.... I will be looking into this later today or tomorrow when I have some time... I'll try all suggestions - roll back PCH if I have to.

FWIW - where is the frame lock setting in the D2v now with 2.10 ?

Video Source Adjust > Output > Frame Lock

Press and hold the "7" button to get in the Video Source Adjust menu. Note that since the setting is in Video Source Adjust, it is separate for each of your Sources, so view the Source you are interested in before going into the menu.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Ok it's a faulty HDMI board. Component works fine no problem and I heard a click when the signal locked on, don't get that with HDMI on either outputs and saw the Anthem welcome screen for the fist time using component.Tried both HDMI outputs on my Sony 1080p LCD Tv and the same thing happens like the projector. My brother came over to assist in the testing as he also owns the D2v so we compared settings and he saw first hand what was happening. We also reinstalled 2.10 which went smoothly and also my brother brought over 2 new HDMI cables and got the same result as the one I'm using so it ruled out the cable as being the problem.

So looks like it's getting packed up and sent off for a repair and or replacement. Personally I want a replacement as who knows what other issues it could have. Makes me question Anthem's quality control and testing before they ship their units out. Not very happy at the moment.

Give Anthem tech support a call. There may be a simple fix which involves opening up the lid and reseating the HDMI output daughter board into the main video board. It may have shifted in shipment. If that's not it, they and your dealer will almost certainly offer to swap out the unit.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using Oppo BD-83Se with my D2v. When I select 2 channel output I am getting bass out of my sub. Why is that? Speaker setting size??
Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerlk View Post

I am using Oppo BD-83Se with my D2v. When I select 2 channel output I am getting bass out of my sub. Why is that? Speaker setting size??

Is this what you were looking for (from just a few posts back):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19213580

--Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I installed my D2v over the weekend. HDMI inputs 1-4 are inoperative. I reloaded firmware twice with no luck. I guess that I'll call support next but, I thought that I would post here first to see if there was anything that I might be able do to fix it. I'm extremely time-challenged so this is a real bummer.

Steve
Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

I installed my D2v over the weekend. HDMI inputs 1-4 are inoperative. I reloaded firmware twice with no luck. I guess that I'll call support next but, I thought that I would post here first to see if there was anything that I might be able do to fix it. I'm extremely time-challenged so this is a real bummer.

Make sure when you install the firmware that you have no powered HDMI connections -- either Sources or Display. Be aware that many HDMI devices keep their HDMI sockets powered even when they are "off". Since HDMI plugs/sockets are sensitive, I recommend that instead of disconnecting the HDMI you pull wall power from everything except the Anthem and your computer. Note that this is only necessary for a firmware install -- not when doing an ARC setup for example.

Failure to do this will mean the HDMI stuff doesn't get programmed correctly.

If that doesn't fix it for you then you likely do need the video board swapped out. As I understand it, HDMI inputs 1-4 use one chip and HDMI inputs 5-8 use another. So a problem across inputs 1-4 would point to a failure of that chip or the circuit connecting it.

Give Anthem tech support a call and they will do what's necessary.

It's also possible you just need to have the HDMI input daughter board reseated into the video board. Tech support can walk you through that if it seems appropriate.

[You also need to Reload Factory Defaults prior to a firmware install, but that's unlikely related to your problem.]
--Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Is this what you were looking for (from just a few posts back):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19213580

--Bob

Yep Bob that's what I needed. Sorry for the repost and thanks for the info again.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerlk View Post

Yep Bob that's what I needed. Sorry for the repost and thanks for the info again.

No problem. It's easy to miss things when we get a flurry of posts on multiple topics.
--Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a D1 w/ARC and was wondering if there was a way to use the 2-Ch. Balanced source and have my sub included. I like the 2 Ch. Balanced b/c the sound is so much cleaner and crisper but that takes out the sub. I have Paradigm S8v2 speakers and even though they are OK speakers for bass impact they don't add the weight and fill I need for the size of my room.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb5200 View Post

I have a D1 w/ARC and was wondering if there was a way to use the 2-Ch. Balanced source and have my sub included. I like the 2 Ch. Balanced b/c the sound is so much cleaner and crisper but that takes out the sub. I have Paradigm S8v2 speakers and even though they are OK speakers for bass impact they don't add the weight and fill I need for the size of my room.

Thanks,

Jeff

In Setup > Source Setup, set the 2-Ch input to ANALOG-DSP so that the analog input is digitized. (Be sure to go into the ADC portion of Setup and raise the default sampling rate for digitizing stereo analog sources to 96KHz as well.) ARC will then be able to process it, including bass steering from LF/RF to sub if that's the way you have ARC configured.

ARC does its processing in the digital domain, so if you use ANALOG-DIRECT for any analog input, ARC can't do its thing. Nor can the older, pre-ARC form of bass management. Basically with ANALOG-DIRECT all you have is Main Volume control. No other audio processing.
--Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Ok it's a faulty HDMI board. Component works fine no problem and I heard a click when the signal locked on, don't get that with HDMI on either outputs and saw the Anthem welcome screen for the fist time using component.Tried both HDMI outputs on my Sony 1080p LCD Tv and the same thing happens like the projector. My brother came over to assist in the testing as he also owns the D2v so we compared settings and he saw first hand what was happening. We also reinstalled 2.10 which went smoothly and also my brother brought over 2 new HDMI cables and got the same result as the one I'm using so it ruled out the cable as being the problem.

Before you pack your unit off to Anthem, please try and change the bit depth setting in the video setup menu. This feature has been recently introduce and reading the other responses it doesn't seem to have been suggested. If you go to the video menu and select 'output' this is where you can change the color bit depth from 12 bit to 10 or 8, I would strongly suggest you try 8 bit. Your Sanyo will be more comfortable with this setting and so will you 12ft HDMI cable.

Regards

Alan

Regards

Alan Roser
SIM2 UK Ltd
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

^^The problem is the video is working from HDMI 2 but not from HDMI 1 to that display (as I understand it). Output Bit Depth affects both outputs, so it seems an unlikely cause. Nevertheless it does not hurt to try it.
--Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks Bob,

So if I have balanced out of my PS Audio DL III DAC to the 2 Ch. Bal. in on the D1 and I choose the 2 Ch. Bal as a source I can't integrate the sub? I switched the input from Analog Direct to the Analog DSP in the Source setup menu but the sound is really, really fuzzy like something isn't connected right. Analog DSP is good but the clarity and preciseness (is that a word?) is duller, darker, but fuller and the weight I want.

I really want the Analog Direct definition and clarity sound with the sub included somehow, I just didn't know if it could be done or if I was doing something wrong. How do analog preamps do it?

Jeff
Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bob,

So if I have balanced out of my PS Audio DL III DAC to the 2 Ch. Bal. in on the D1 and I choose the 2 Ch. Bal as a source I can't integrate the sub? I switched the input from Analog Direct to the Analog DSP in the Source setup menu but the sound is really, really fuzzy like something isn't connected right. Analog DSP is good but the clarity and preciseness (is that a word?) is duller, darker, but fuller and the weight I want.

I really want the Analog Direct definition and clarity sound with the sub included somehow, I just didn't know if it could be done or if I was doing something wrong. How do analog preamps do it?

Jeff

Perhaps he could set up his sub/speakers so that the sub is in line with the his speakers?.. run his left front and right front pos/neg speaker lines from his amp to his sub via a pass through and then to his speakers. And then set arc accordingly - large L/R front speakers ??
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Thanks Bob,

Jeff

this sounds like something isn't right. I am using 2 ch with sub and it sounds fantastic. I compared it with Analog direct and with ARC, even my wife noticed the diff so don't be too quick to give up on AnalogDSP, it really is very good. Without ARC, analog direct will have to do it's work without EQ freq, and that is a big loss.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks Bob,

Jeff

Jeff, perhaps a fellow Wisconsite can try to lend a hand here...make sure to check your Input level for the DAC source on the D2, it sounds very similar to a problem I had with my old Meridian CD player and then initially with my new PS Audio PWD DAC when using the Balanced outs from them to the D2V. The input level had to be toned way down, as it was muddling the sound somethin fierce. The 2-channel input on the D2(v) is very sensitive to proper levels, also many balanced outputs on many CD players/DAC sources seem to have their own gain prior to output. Actually, I suspect it's more the sources that have the issue, but...

In any case, check the Input level menu for the 2-channel input on your D2, move it up or down as needed until you get the best, fullest sound with no clipping. Rest assured I have the PS Audio PWD running exactly like your DL III, into the 2-channel balanced input on the D2V, using AnalogDSP so that ARC can blend in my Sub for 2-channel, and it sounds amazing.

Hope that helps,
Brian
Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks Bob,

Jeff

If ANALOG-DSP does not sound superb, then something is screwed up. Check the input levels as suggested. Also check your ARC setup. If you've been fiddling about in Setup since you did your ARC run you may have messed up some settings it Uploaded. Also make sure Room EQ is ON for the 2-CH Source So that ARC is active for it.

Remember you can just re-Upload your ARC solution if you are not sure.

Check the 2-CH Source as well for whether it is using the correct ARC bass management setup, Movie or Music.
--Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:

If you go to the video menu and select 'output' this is where you can change the color bit depth from 12 bit to 10 or 8, I would strongly suggest you try 8 bit. Your Sanyo will be more comfortable with this setting and so will you 12ft HDMI cable.

I tried all the bit rates nothing worked. It's a faulty HDMI board for sure as I get nothing through HDMI Output 1 but component works perfectly and as mentioned I heard a lock on click when the video was established. It's a DOA and the place I purchased it from is doing their best to arrange a replacement unit.

Quote:

The problem is the video is working from HDMI 2 but not from HDMI 1 to that display

Well personally I wouldn't call a flashing screen and constant video drops outs working but at least something was happening through Output 2 but was unusable and was even worst when i connect it to my Sony 32" LCD TV. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Well that's entirely different. I could have sworn you said earlier the HDMI 2 output video was in good shape. Anyway it sounds like you've got the next step in hand.
--Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Hey Bob this is what I posted earlier:

Quote:

For some reason HDMI output 1 does not work with my projector only Output 2. I can get the main menu up but the screen just keeps flashing on and off then goes magenta then back to normal and this continues until I exit the menu

So nothing on Output 1 but something on Output 2 but very unstable. I have heard back from my supplier who contacted the Aussie distributer and the next lot of units wont be arriving until the 3rd week of Oct. So a bit of a wait and in the mean time I will use component and hope that the HDMI audio inputs works otherwise will go back to using optical.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

OK I read that as saying the flashing was on HDMI1 and HDMI2 worked, but no matter.

Since BOTH outputs are giving you grief, that makes this a different problem.

Try this:

In Setup > Video Output, set the Data Format to YCbCr 4:4:4 (not Auto). Set the output resolution to 720x480p (or the 576p equivalent if TV is PAL where you are). Set the bit depth to 8 bit. Try this with both choices of HDMI Synch, and see if you can get the Setup menu to display. These are the simplest settings for HDMI to handle.

If they work, then that suggests a cabling problem is screwing up the higher resolution output. If they don't work then that says the D2v output is faulty. Since both outputs are failing, you should talk to tech support about opening up the chassis to reseat the HDMI output daughter board.
--Bob

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 AM

It can't be the cable mate as we ruled that out last night by connecting 2 new HDMI cables to my LCD 1080p TV and I got the same problems on both Outputs. Ouput one nothing and Output 2 flashing menu.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

It can't be the cable mate as we ruled that out last night by connecting 2 new HDMI cables to my LCD 1080p TV and I got the same problems on both Outputs. Ouput one nothing and Output 2 flashing menu.

I had the exact same issue on my unit - one of the first ones delivered. Anthem sent me a new HDMI daughter board to try first - plug and play - if you can add a memory/video/etc card to a PC you can swap the HDMI card in the D2V. You might want to try this in the interim to see if it solves your problem. Anthem sent my card next day delivery.

In the end I needed a complete unit swap, but you have nothing to lose in the meantime........
Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

If you still have an HDMI hookup in place, I still suggest you try the quick test at 480p (as described above) because IF IT WORKS it will be very revealing. Basically it would mean the HDMI board is functioning, but the connection is marginal. A marginal connection does not necessarily mean a faulty cable. It could be a bad socket. Don't forget to try both HDMI Sync settings at 480p.

Speaking of that, another simple thing you can do while waiting for Anthem is to get a flashlight and take a careful look at the HDMI sockets and plug ends at both ends of the cable (Anthem and display) looking for any sign of bent pins.

If the 480p test works, the next step would be to connect that same HDMI cable from the display directly to an HDMI source device and see if you can get good HDMI 1080p into the display that way. If that works, that's pretty good evidence the problem is not in the display's socket. Again, all of this is just trying to isolate the problem.

And I still think you should talk to tech support about opening up the lid and reseating that HDMI output board, "just in case". We've had at least 6 reports here of HDMI output failures that were fixed by that simple step. It's not a hard thing to do, but you do have to take precautions to make sure you don't zap the electronics with static electricity from your body.
--Bob

Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried all resolutions when the issue first came up. The fact that as mentioned it wouldn't work with my fairly new Sony LCD tv using both outputs suggest a problem with the Anthem. We used 2 brand new never used HDMI cables that we tested first on the tv. Last night I hook up the projector via component and it works using comp 1, didn't try comp2. Everything seemed stable until I turned on the Oppo plugged into HDMI input 1, put a movie on and it lasted approx 8mins before I lost video and audio. Also at start up I don't see the Oppo menu just a blue screen. Can only get back a picture if I go into anthem menu and it resyncs that gets the movie pic back but nothing I've tried gives me the Oppo menu. I have to play a movie just so I can get into the Oppo setup and I've tried 720p and source direct neither were stable
. I tried all bit rates 8,10,12 nothing changed. Tried all resolutions nothing fixed it.

Hey if Anthem want to send me a new board to Australia I'm all for it, and walking me through reseating the HDMI board. I'm still wanting and will only accept a new unit and they can have this one back as it was missing also a screw on the top back right.

You have understand this had been my dream processor every since the release of the D2 and after laying down $8000+ on the D2v, to he honest the last thing I want to do is open it up and remove boards. Went through enough with my previous processor being the NAD T-175 and took over 3 months to rectify, and ended up being a faulty audio card.

Again if Anthem want to go through this reseating thing I will do it just to rule it out.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

I certainly understand the frustration. A unit swap out probably IS the right answer. It's just that the board reseating may get you going faster. Anyway, this is definitely beyond anything we can help you fix here. The fix has to come from Anthem tech support / your dealer.

Hang in there. It IS worth the effort!
--Bob

Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Anthem's CEDIA press release for their Receiver products is now up on the web site of their PR company:

http://www.castercomm.com/prView.cfm?cid=111&id=442

I don't see any new info in that release.
--Bob

Old 09-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:

certainly understand the frustration. A unit swap out probably IS the right answer. It's just that the board reseating may get you going faster. Anyway, this is definitely beyond anything we can help you fix here. The fix has to come from Anthem tech support / your dealer.

Hang in there. It IS worth the effort!

Thanks Bob. Just to cover all the bases tell me what the settings should be according to the equipment in use:

Display: Sanyo Z4 Projector

Player: Oppo BD-83 (modded with region chip)

Processor: Anthem D2v

So basically going by the above what settings would you normally suggest in the Anthem under normal operating conditions? Just want to rule out any user errors .

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers