post #30091 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

Thanks Bob. Just to cover all the bases tell me what the settings should be according to the equipment in use:

Display: Sanyo Z4 Projector

Player: Oppo BD-83 (modded with region chip)

Processor: Anthem D2v

So basically going by the above what settings would you normally suggest in the Anthem under normal operating conditions? Just want to rule out any user errors .

For your problem as it stands now, you should of course not be using any source to test. Until you can get stable HDMI with the internally generated video there's no point in testing with a Source.

That said for the 83 what I recommend for an HDMI connection is explicit 1080p, YCbCr 4:2:2, 30-bit (Dithered), TV System Multi, 1080p/24 Auto, DVD/24 OFF, Secondary Audio OFF, HDMI Audio either Bitstream or LPCM (there are reasons to use both in different circumstances), SACD Audio PCM, HDCD Decoding ON, Dynamic Range Control OFF. I do not recommend Component video from the 83 (except of course in a situation like yours where HDMI is broken) as Component video bypasses the video processor in the 83.

For the D2v the input video levels in Video Source Adjust for the Oppo Source should be at factory default. The Video Output settings depend upon what works best with your projector. For a 1080p projector like yours with an HDMI input the normal starting point would be Data YCbCr 4:4:4, Color Space HDTV, Sync Normal, and of course 1080p/60 output. Using 1080p/24 to the display should not be tried until you are sure the "normal" 1080p/60 stuff is working correctly. Of course all of the above assumes the HDMI in your D2v is working properly.

I don't know enough about the Sanyo to rattle off the right settings inside it. Once you get stable HDMI you will need to check with a calibration disc to make sure the settings in the projector are correct. I can tell you that with the recommended settings both the Oppo and the D2v put out "correct" HDMI video, so any errors shown by the calibration disc would point to an incorrect setting in the projector.

Check the post link on "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" found in the first post of this thread for some basic guidance on that.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30092 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Bob. First off the Sanyo Z4 is not a HD projector, it's native resolution is 1280x720p. Also I'm currently using component b/w the projector and the Anthem for video only (obviously) so using HDMI only for the Audio from the Oppo should be stable unless both the HDMI inputs and Outputs on the D2v are all connected to the same board?

As I tested last night this wasn't the case as I was getting video and audio drop outs while watching a BD. The Setup menu is stable on the Anthem but cannot get the main menu on the Oppo until I start the movie. When I press stop I get a blue screen and can only view the setup menu on the Anthem not the Oppo.
post #30093 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

Hey Bob. First off the Sanyo Z4 is not a HD projector, it's native resolution is 1280x720p.

How is that not HD?

Roger

post #30094 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:

How is that not HD?

As in not Full HD 1920x1080p. Sorry thought that was obvious
post #30095 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Hey Bob. First off the Sanyo Z4 is not a HD projector, it's native resolution is 1280x720p. Also I'm currently using component b/w the projector and the Anthem for video only (obviously) so using HDMI only for the Audio from the Oppo should be stable unless both the HDMI inputs and Outputs on the D2v are all connected to the same board?

As I tested last night this wasn't the case as I was getting video and audio drop outs while watching a BD. The Setup menu is stable on the Anthem but cannot get the main menu on the Oppo until I start the movie. When I press stop I get a blue screen and can only view the setup menu on the Anthem not the Oppo.

OK, then it will likely be best to use 720p output to the projector (i.e., set the D2v to match the native resolution of the projector). To determine if that's REALLY the best output resolution to send to it you need to check with a calibration disc, as some 720p projectors are non-intuitive and handle a 1080i or 1080p input better than 720p.

HDMI Audio is not a separate signal. It is embedded in the blanking intervals of HDMI Video. That means you've got a video signal that has to be understood and separated to get the audio part out of it in the D2v.

And that means the HDMI copy protection stuff comes into play even though you aren't using the HDMI outputs. Since HDMI is an end to end protocol, if the HDMI output portion of the D2v is broken it may not be responding properly to the HDCP copy protection protocol (i.e., to indicate there is nothing actually connected to that output) and so the Oppo is forced to mute its output, which means you lose both audio and video.

It is also possible that the Oppo is trying to send a signal that can't be sent over Component because it still thinks you are using HDMI. So the Oppo mutes its Component output.

In the Oppo, setting the Primary Output to Component will prevent this, but it depends on just what might be going wrong when the Oppo tries to set up copy protection with the D2v for the HDMI audio. Again if the D2v HDMI hardware is broken, all bets are off on using HDMI for anything.
--Bob

post #30096 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:

It is also possible that the Oppo is trying to send a signal that can't be sent over Component because it still thinks you are using HDMI. So the Oppo mutes its Component output.

Ok sort of understanding your thinking here. So basically using HDMI from Oppo to D2v it's sending both Video and Audio to the Anthem and the Anthem is grabing the video section and sending that via component to the projector. It's in that processing that something is amiss and this CP could also be causing the drop outs. So by going component from Oppo and then also Optical for the audio that will bypass using HDMI at all and it should work?

Quote:

In the Oppo, setting the Primary Output to Component will prevent this, but it depends on just what might be going wrong when the Oppo tries to set up copy protection with the D2v for the HDMI audio. Again if the D2v HDMI hardware is broken, all bets are off on using HDMI for anything.

Yep you right about the hardware being broken. I guess I could just go back to using optical for the time being and forget the HD audio for now.
post #30097 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Sure, Component video and Optical audio to the D2v and then Component video to your display will eliminate HDMI issues in the D2v.

But before you give up on HDMI Audio from the Oppo just yet, be sure to try changing Setup > Video Setup > Primary Output to Component in the Oppo which is necessary to make sure it only tries to use video signals that Component can carry, so that it does not have to mute its Component output.

Actually, if you can't get the HDMI Audio to work for now you might also want to try hooking up the multi-channel analog from the Oppo to the D2v which will mean you can still get the high bit rate audio tracks from Blu-Ray discs for example. (The Optical audio can't carry those -- no copy protection -- and will automatically use only the compatibility, lossy audio on disc for just such purposes.)

As for what's going wrong, it's not that the D2v is using the HDMI video from the Oppo, it's that the Oppo has to mute ALL of its video output if it finds there is an HDMI connection in place that doesn't satisfy copy protection. And the HDMI audio you want to use causes it to try to establish copy protection. If the D2v HDMI hardware is broken, that may fail. Again, it's either that or the issue with not having Primary Outupt set to Component in the Oppo.
--Bob

post #30098 of 43106 Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Thanks Bob. Yep didn't think of using the analog's been along time since I've gone that route. Have to dig up some from my cable storage box I should have enough. Thanks again for the input and advice.
post #30099 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

...... So basically using HDMI from Oppo to D2v it's sending both Video and Audio to the Anthem and the Anthem is grabing the video section and sending that via component to the projector. .....

Bob, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe connections in this sequence will definitely not work because of copy protection issues. The reverse will, however.

Ben
post #30100 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleeys View Post

Bob, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe connections in this sequence will definitely not work because of copy protection issues. The reverse will, however.

Ben

Yes. See my reply. He misunderstood what I was saying.
--Bob

post #30101 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

Is it possible to change the OSD colour on the D2v from white to something more stiking out?

Thank you
post #30102 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello

Is it possible to change the OSD colour on the D2v from white to something more stiking out?

Thank you

No, it is not.
--Bob

post #30103 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have not read the 30000 posts that are in this thread, but can someone please give a short summary or list containing what should be the present known bugs with the D2v processor?
post #30104 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

I know of no substantial problems in the V2.10 firmware for the D2v. It has its quirks and even a few glitches. But basically it is in good shape to do what it is supposed to do with this firmware.
--Bob

post #30105 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Hey Bob. I did what you suggested and turned the primary video ouput in the Oppo setup to component and it didn't make a difference. But I did get to watch something for about 10mins before the picture dropped out. So I conencted the Oppo using Component for video and Optical (for the moment) for audio and it's completly stable. I will probably hook up the analogs on the weekend. It relation to that I connect the six cables (RCA) to the analog input which is for SACD/DVD Audio? I didn't see any other inputs for audio other than the ones I'm already using b/w the 5 channel power amp and the Athem.
post #30106 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

The 6-Channel analog input RCA jacks are at the bottom middle of the back panel just under the Main Audio Out RCA jacks.
--Bob

post #30107 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Official ARC 3.0, where art thou? Thou promised to come hence, but alas you've withered?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #30108 of 43106 Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Has to be soon. They are about to ship the first Receivers, which are dependent on it.
--Bob

post #30109 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Production on MRX receivers starts tomorrow. They're at CEDIA this week too so probably next week for ARC 3.0
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #30110 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM

Hooked up the analogs tonight and got it all working. Now that I'm using the analog stage do I need to redo ARC? To be honest I'm finding the bass to be not as tight as I'm used to hearing. Is there settings I should be looking at when using the analogs? I've changed the setting to Analog/DSP on the Anthem, rest of the system sounds great except the bass just not enough presence.
post #30111 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Official ARC 3.0, where art thou? Thou promised to come hence, but alas you've withered?

Just grab the beta, ran it multiple times yesterday and it worked great. Everything sounds incredible in my room. Extremely tight.

post #30112 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Hooked up the analogs tonight and got it all working. Now that I'm using the analog stage do I need to redo ARC? To be honest I'm finding the bass to be not as tight as I'm used to hearing. Is there settings I should be looking at when using the analogs? I've changed the setting to Analog/DSP on the Anthem, rest of the system sounds great except the bass just not enough presence.

In the Oppo, set every speaker to Large, with 0dB volume trim, and at the same distance (any distance as long as they are all the same). Make sure the Sub is set to ON. Set the Down Mix to 5.1 These settings only affect its analog output.

Also in the Oppo set Dynamic Range Control OFF. Check the Volume control on the Oppo remote and confirm that the Oppo's output volume is set all the way up (100).

In the D2v, check Source Setup for the 6-Channel input and make sure Room EQ is ON so that ARC is used with that Source. ANALOG-DSP should remain set for the 6-Channel Source. You do not need to redo ARC. You can confirm that the bass output is now properly balanced with the rest using a calibration disc with separate LFE channel ouput -- e.g., the AIX disc.
--Bob

post #30113 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've just gotten a 2.35:1 masking system for my standard 16:9 screen. Are there any setting in the D2 video adjustments to enhance this type of setup? (currently aren't planning on a lens).

I don't really like talking about my flair

post #30114 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

I've just gotten a 2.35:1 masking system for my standard 16:9 screen. Are there any setting in the D2 video adjustments to enhance this type of setup? (currently aren't planning on a lens).

If you mean you are masking down the top and bottom of a 16:9 screen then, no. Just view as normal. The masks will cut down light leak in the letter box bars.

If you have a 2.35:1 screen and an anamorphic lens you can use a custom crop with anamorphic scaling to create a Constant Image Height view. Then for 16:9 content you go back to a normal lens and mask the SIDES of your wider screen.

See the "Fun With Custom Cropping and Scaling" post links in the first post of this thread.

(You could do the same sort of thing with your masked 16:9 screen, but you'd also have to adjust the throw of your anamorphic lens since of course you are changing the height of the screen. So more trouble than it is worth. )
--Bob

post #30115 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Awesome Bob thank you for that. God the back of the D2v looks so busy with all the RCA's plugged in .
post #30116 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome Bob thank you for that. God the back of the D2v looks so busy with all the RCA's plugged in .

How does it sound now?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #30117 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:

How does it sound now?

Unfortunalty by the time I connected it all I was only able to test one BD being Gladiator for about 10mins and I thought the bass was very lacking but Bob has posted the setttings for both the Oppo and D2v so will implement them tonight and report back.
post #30118 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone posted this in the MRX thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekajnabi View Post

The Salesman at CEIDA told that there will be probably be no Pre/Pro coming in near future; however, the current pre/pro can be altered (yes, hardware alternation) along with firmware upgrade late Q4 or early Q1 at service centers... they will retrofit four of the the HDMIs and replace with new ones supporting 1.4a.

Will have to check this out when Nick gets back from Cedia.

John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #30119 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Liked: 10
OK upgraded to 2.10 and ARC 2.4 here are my results. Any input greatly appreciated.

ArcResults092310.doc 141.5k . file
Attached Files
File Type: doc ArcResults092310.doc (141.5 KB, 0 views)
post #30120 of 43106 Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Unfortunalty by the time I connected it all I was only able to test one BD being Gladiator for about 10mins and I thought the bass was very lacking but Bob has posted the setttings for both the Oppo and D2v so will implement them tonight and report back.

I'll check later on, but you may need to apply a +10dB boost to the subwoofer channel because you are using the multichannel analog inputs and have the players bass management off(ie speakers set to Large). I had a quick look last night but couldn't find the specific analog +10dB/+15dB subwoofer output adjustment setting in the D2v.

Bob may know where it is or if the D2v automatically applies it on the 6-ch input. I have them hooked up so will run some tests and let you know what the go is.

cheers

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page