post #30511 of 43014 Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

This is interesting. We've had very few reports from people trying different numbers of mic positions.

Can you HEAR an improvement in your 8 position solution?
--Bob

Yes i do, especially in the lower bass regions. The LFE crossover transitions are very smooth and the bass is potent! I have two (2) 18Hz subs in opposite corners in my living room. They pressurize the room nicely and I even feel (hear?) LFE sounds from commercials and movie previews of all things. Granted, I tweaked ARC settings a bit but I've done this before and never got these results.

Another strange thing... I often spend quite some time phase matching my subs to the LF speaker by reversing the phase of the LF speaker and run frequency tones within the crossover region (90 - 110Hz) to look for the maximum null by adjusting the phase angle in the anthem. This technique has worked well for me in the past due to poster here a while back (thanks davoe!).

Now, in this setup I have, I couldn't find an appreciable null for all possible phase angles! I don't know what to make of this new observation. I have posted my graphs for your reference. Does this mean I'm perfectly phase matched?

PS:

Now I have an unopened brand-new-in-the-box SVS-EQ1 sub equalizer that I don't know what to do with!
LL
LL
LL

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30512 of 43014 Old 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Yes i do, especially in the lower bass regions. The LFE crossover transitions are very smooth and the bass is potent! I have two (2) 18Hz subs in opposite corners in my living room. They pressurize the room nicely and I even feel (hear?) LFE sounds from commercials and movie previews of all things. Granted, I tweaked ARC settings a bit but I've done this before and never got these results.

Another strange thing... I often spend quite some time phase matching my subs to the LF speaker by reversing the phase of the LF speaker and run frequency tones within the crossover region (90 - 110Hz) to look for the maximum null by adjusting the phase angle in the anthem. This technique has worked well for me in the past due to poster here a while back (thanks davoe!).

Now, in this setup I have, I couldn't find an appreciable null for all possible phase angles! I don't know what to make of this new observation. I have posted my graphs for your reference. Does this mean I'm perfectly phase matched?

PS:

Now I have an unopened brand-new-in-the-box SVS-EQ1 sub equalizer that I don't know what to do with!

What's your mic ordering for your 8 positions? I.e., your same layout except for numbers instead of the X's.

Also what's your spacing between mics on a row and between rows?

----------------------------------------

In these charts, the thing that jumps out at me is the poor Measured response from LF/RF in the range 70-150Hz. Do you know what's going on with that? The residual error after ARC's correction, particularly for RF, is still larger than I'd like to see. And ARC is already using a highish crossover for LF/RF to try to evade that dip.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #30513 of 43014 Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's your mic ordering for your 8 positions? I.e., your same layout except for numbers instead of the X's.

In these charts, the thing that jumps out at me is the poor Measured response from LF/RF in the range 70-150Hz. Do you know what's going on with that? The residual error after ARC's correction, particularly for RF, is still larger than I'd like to see. And ARC is already using a highish crossover for LF/RF to try to evade that dip.
--Bob

Bob:

My satellites are the CRM2's from sunfire and are small and on stands without much bass below 100Hz or so. They are 2 feet from the side and back walls. They have side-firing woofers and ribbons for transducers. I could place them closer to the wall for better bass response but the imaging and ambience suffers. I choose them for their use of ribbons as transducers whose pick up is from about 1KHz and go up to 40KHz based from the manufacturer's data.

I spent the whole day yesterday playing with their placement and this the best placement i could have so far. Their lack of output below 100hz is augmented by the center speaker whose output is good down to 70Hz or so plus the subwoofers output is set to 90Hz. So i figure these two outputs compensate for the low outputs of the LF/RF speakers below 100Hz.

And the results so far are outstanding IMO. I'm sure it can further be improved but spending another whole day shiftng speakers and subs around is not appealing to me right now (crawling around on the floor in my apartment for hours and hours with no A/C is one of the reasons).

What's your take on the phase question i had earlier?

PS
Forgot to mention that I have 2 bass traps in the front corner walls that are 6ft x 4ft by 0.5ft in dimension from ReadyTraps Inc to tap some of the resonances I had in my small room.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #30514 of 43014 Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....YES

....Approx 2.0 to 2.5ft

--Bob

See my answers above...

post #30515 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Bob did as you suggested and tried with 90hz for the fronts and here are the results. What do you think? I didn't change anything else.
LL
LL
LL
post #30516 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 AM

Liked: 11
Hello,

Is there a reset for D2v's remote controls?
Because one of my RC is not recognized by my D2v anymore.
Of course I changed the batteries and all the buttons light up when pressed.
And I also selected the Main device but nothing helps.
Any idea?

Thanks
post #30517 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I don't see the Center or Sub for Movie in the charts you posted here.

At this point I think you should give Anthem tech support a call and see if they can suggest anything. The red Measured curves on LF/RF don't look good between 60 and 400Hz. If you don't think those results are real, tackling that would seem to be the starting point, as false Measured data would of course result in bad corrections. Because you have the sub in the Movie mix, ARC isn't pushing so hard to try to fill in those dips -- thus less "false correction" if that's in fact what's happening.

I suggest you send Anthem your ARC results file in the email (not just the captures of the charts). They have tools they can use to view the raw data in the file. Perhaps your mic has failed. You will likely also need to spend some time on the phone with them walking through your audio hookup and settings to see if they can find any gotchas in that.
--Bob
Yes at this point I think I will contact Anthem and see what they say.

Here are my full ARC results.

ARCResults100910.pdf 172.3291015625k . file
post #30518 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 06:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is interesting. We've had very few reports from people trying different numbers of mic positions.

Can you HEAR an improvement in your 8 position solution?
--Bob

I would expect the graphs to be smoother with more mike locations. I believe you are averaging out the nulls from room modes by using more points. Although your charts may look smoother, the actual sound will likely not be as good in your specific listening location if you are using more positions than you actually have seating positions.

Remember that ARC is trying to correct for specific seating location problems. The more seating locations, the less specific problems are actually fixed.
post #30519 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esander3 View Post

I would expect the graphs to be smoother with more mike locations. I believe you are averaging out the nulls from room modes by using more points. Although your charts may look smoother, the actual sound will likely not be as good in your specific listening location if you are using more positions than you actually have seating positions.

Remember that ARC is trying to correct for specific seating location problems. The more seating locations, the less specific problems are actually fixed.

The averaging effect is certainly real. The red Measured curve for example is a simple, unweighted average over all the mic positions. More positions will likely result in a smoother looking curve.

But the interesting thing is that he is reporting that more positions yields better SOUNDING results. It would be good to hear from more people who might have tried this to see if his case was special.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #30520 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Greetings,

Here are the latest measurements/results. I installed SW 2.10b and went from ARC beta 2.4.17 to 3.0. I went the auto route and left all settings at default.

The measured outcome in my room is typically solid although the calculated sub didn't result in as soomth a curve as I normally get. The outcome sounds as good as ever.
LL
LL
LL

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #30521 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

Is there a reset for D2v's remote controls?
Because one of my RC is not recognized by my D2v anymore.
Of course I changed the batteries and all the buttons light up when pressed.
And I also selected the Main device but nothing helps.
Any idea?

Thanks

Yes. See Section 5.6 of the Manual. The complete reset process involves erasing any user programmed stuff using the procedure in Section 5.6, and then also resetting the control codes for each of Main, Zone 2, and Zone 3 using the codes listed at the start of Appendix B.
--Bob

post #30522 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Here are the latest measurements/results. I installed SW 2.10b and went from ARC beta 2.4.17 to 3.0. I went the auto route and left all settings at default.

The measured outcome in my room is typically solid although the calculated sub didn't result in as soomth a curve as I normally get. The outcome sounds as good as ever.

These results look good. I don't see any problem in the green Calculated curve for your sub.

My concern would be that your surrounds are weak in bass which puts the burden on the sub to handle bass fairly high up for them. When the cutoff for the surrounds is higher than for the sub that can indicate a problem -- a hole in the transition. You didn't post your Music charts but the 80Hz cutoff for the sub and the 140Hz cutoff for the side surrounds likely means there is a problem -- a significant dip through the crossover region. On these Movie charts, I don't think you've got a serious problem, but there will be a minor dip in the crossover from either the side or rear surrounds to the sub.
--Bob

post #30523 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

Hey Bob did as you suggested and tried with 90hz for the fronts and here are the results. What do you think? I didn't change anything else.

Yes that fixed the problem I mentioned in LF near 44Hz, and doesn't appear to have produced any new problems.
--Bob

post #30524 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Greetings,

Ralph,
I agree with Bob, your sub looks really good and should sound awesome. Your chart for the sub looks very similar to mine and I can tell you it does sound awesome. I can't remember which sub you have. I checked one of your reviews and saw the sub. should sound great.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #30525 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob:

My satellites are the CRM2's from sunfire and are small and on stands without much bass below 100Hz or so. They are 2 feet from the side and back walls. They have side-firing woofers and ribbons for transducers. I could place them closer to the wall for better bass response but the imaging and ambience suffers. I choose them for their use of ribbons as transducers whose pick up is from about 1KHz and go up to 40KHz based from the manufacturer's data.

I spent the whole day yesterday playing with their placement and this the best placement i could have so far. Their lack of output below 100hz is augmented by the center speaker whose output is good down to 70Hz or so plus the subwoofers output is set to 90Hz. So i figure these two outputs compensate for the low outputs of the LF/RF speakers below 100Hz.

And the results so far are outstanding IMO. I'm sure it can further be improved but spending another whole day shiftng speakers and subs around is not appealing to me right now (crawling around on the floor in my apartment for hours and hours with no A/C is one of the reasons).

What's your take on the phase question i had earlier?

PS
Forgot to mention that I have 2 bass traps in the front corner walls that are 6ft x 4ft by 0.5ft in dimension from ReadyTraps Inc to tap some of the resonances I had in my small room.

The Center can't compensate for poor output from LF/RF because each channel has to play its own specific content. Think of it this way: If LF/RF failed completely would a "perfect" Center speaker conceal that fact?

The crossover on LF/RF is 100Hz so the sub won't see any steered bass from them above that -- which means it can't help at all with an uncorrected dip between 100 and 150Hz. In addition RF and to a lesser degree LF isn't hitting its Target curve and so the portion of the audio it is supposed to produce below 100Hz (to mix with the output the sub is also producing from steered bass) is weak.

That is, ALL the speakers need to hit their black dashed Targets curves to get a good mix of audio from all of them.

Normally you'd address a problem like this by raising the cutoff for LF/RF and Sub so that LF/RF didn't have to try to produce output in that weak region. But it doesn't look like your sub is capable of going much higher than ARC is using with it now, so these results may indeed be the best you can get with these speakers. LF is almost fully corrected, so if you try to tweak this further, concentrate on the positioning for RF.

---------------------------------------------

On the 8 mic position stuff, what I was asking is for you to specify the order of mic placements you used, starting with #1 in the center. I.e., where is #2, where is #3, etc.

I've lost track of the phase question you asked. What was it you were asking?
--Bob

post #30526 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Ralph,
I agree with Bob, your sub looks really good and should sound awesome. Your chart for the sub looks very similar to mine and I can tell you it does sound awesome. I can't remember which sub you have. I checked one of your reviews and saw the sub. should sound great.
John

Greetings,

Yup no issues at all. My equipment/room have traditionally sounded excellent. Regarding Bob's mention of the low bass output of my surrounds and their transitioning over to the sub it has been this way from the beginning. Based upon the amount of bass that is normally mixed to them in a multi-channel configuration it hasn't proven to be a problem.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #30527 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

These results look good. I don't see any problem in the green Calculated curve for your sub.

My concern would be that your surrounds are weak in bass which puts the burden on the sub to handle bass fairly high up for them. When the cutoff for the surrounds is higher than for the sub that can indicate a problem -- a hole in the transition. You didn't post your Music charts but the 80Hz cutoff for the sub and the 140Hz cutoff for the side surrounds likely means there is a problem -- a significant dip through the crossover region. On these Movie charts, I don't think you've got a serious problem, but there will be a minor dip in the crossover from either the side or rear surrounds to the sub.
--Bob

Greetings,

Bob, here are the charts for my music configuration.

Regards,
LL
LL

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #30528 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx01 View Post

Hi,
I'm new to this forum but have used it in the extensively in the past to help me set-up my AVM 50v so many thanks to all the contributors, especially Bob.

Since I upgraded the AVM 50v firmware to v2.10 I've been having a couple of strange problems and I wondered if anyone else has had anything similar. The upgrade itself all went OK and, in general, I'm very, very, happy with the sound.

The first problem is that with certain tracks the sound just stops, always exactly at the same point, on the same tracks. I've determined the problem is with the AVM 50V because using my Sonos system (FLAC files) the sound stops using the digital connection (both coax and optical) but plays fine using the analogue connection. If I play the same track using the original CD via my Arcam DV88 the sound again stops at exactly the same point.

I've checked the AVM config and AUTO DIG is set to 'NO'. I've also found that changing the AUDIO IN from COAX to OPTICAL whilst playing the music restores the sound, as does just pressing pause/play on the Sonos.

The second problem is that I'm getting a 'popping' from the front left speaker, again only on certain tracks and always at the same point in the track. I've swapped the left/right input to my power amp and the 'popping' moved to the right speaker. This seemed to eliminate an issue with either the power amp or the speaker. Again, the same problem occurs if I play the track via CD or Sonos.

I should add that all of the tracks I'm having issues with used to play fine in the past. Also, I recently upgraded to ARC 3.0 and the problems were the same before and after, and I'm not having any issues with DVD, Blu-Ray or satellite sound, just music.

I've raised both problems with Anthem Tech Support but not had any solutions yet. My real query is if anyone else is having similar problems or has any ideas what the problem may be?

Just to add one last comment - I think the Anthem AVM 50v is a great bit of kit and overall I'm incredibly happy with it. I'd just like to resolve these two issues to have it absolutely perfect.

Thanks

GT

I've found the solution to the 'popping' I was getting from one speaker. For some time I've been using a MAX EQ setting of 7500 on ARC as this seemed to give me the best sound. When I installed ARC 3 I just carried on using this setting. After some testing this weekend I found that if I used the default setting of 5k the 'pops' disappeared.

I've now re-done all my room measurements and come to the conclusion that the 5k default setting gives me the best sound.

Maybe something went wrong when I re-did the measurements after installing ARC 3, but I thought the problem started prior to this. Anyway everything is sounding great now.

Unfortunately I still cannot find a reason why the sound just stops on certain tracks so awaiting Anthem for an answer to this.
post #30529 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Our theater has a 16:9 screen. I've just added some panels to the top and bottom to make it 2.35:1. Since we rarely watch anything but movies, I think I will leave them in place. If we did want to watch something in 16:9...say HDTV, Is there any way with the D2's video scaler (Crop Input..Custome I'm guessing) to adjust the 16:9 outpt to fit into the smaller 2.35:1? I realize I would now have extra space on the sides...but this would allow me to leave the panels in place.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #30530 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Greetings,

Bob, here are the charts for my music configuration.

Regards,

Yeah that's pretty much what I expected.

Now you CAN get full-range bass in the surrounds for multi-channel Music. It looks to me like you can push the cutoff for the sub up to 120Hz. And then sneak the cutoff for the Surrounds down from the 140Hz it's at now. You may or may not be able to get it all the way down to 120Hz. If you try 120Hz for them, check for smooth Calculated curves and for good correction at least down to 60Hz for them.

If that combo works, you could try some tweaking in Movie as well. ARC is designed to prefer cuts instead of boosts when it can do that, so that's probably why it is not trying to boost the low end of the Surrounds more.

Your RR speaker's dip in high bass will likely limit your ability to lower the crossover for Rears.
--Bob

post #30531 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Our theater has a 16:9 screen. I've just added some panels to the top and bottom to make it 2.35:1. Since we rarely watch anything but movies, I think I will leave them in place. If we did want to watch something in 16:9...say HDTV, Is there any way with the D2's video scaler (Crop Input..Custome I'm guessing) to adjust the 16:9 outpt to fit into the smaller 2.35:1? I realize I would now have extra space on the sides...but this would allow me to leave the panels in place.

Check out the Fun With Custom Cropping and Scaling post links in the first post of this thread for the details, but the short answer is "No", there is no "squeeze" function in the Anthems. This was a design choice made by Anthem because a squeeze function discards video resolution.

If you don't mind swapping an anamorphic lens in and out with your regular lens then you can do a Constant Image Height setup.

In a CIH setup you crop the video input down to 2.35:1 using the Custom Crop function in the Anthem, and then apply Anamorphic scaling in the Anthem which causes that to be stretched vertically in a uniform fashion to just fill the 16:9 video output stream. Now this distorts the image -- circles look like tall ovals. But you pop in your anamorphic projector lens and it optically widens the image again. The result is a 2.35:1 image, without distortion, that uses every pixel in the 16:9 video output stream from the Anthem instead of wasting a lot of them transmitting the black letter-box bars -- thus better resolution.

When you play 16:9 content, you turn off the Custom Crop so that the entire 16:9 input stream gets used. You can leave Anamorphic scaling on because it has no work to do since the 16:9 input matches the 16:9 output from the Anthem.

If you leave your Anamorphic lens in place on the projector, the result, again, will be that this fills your 2.35:1 screen, but the image is now distorted -- stretched horizontally -- circles look like wide ovals. The fix of course is to put back in your normal lens. When you do that the image will be 16:9 in shape (no distortion), will fill the 2.35:1 screen top to bottom (thus "Constant Image Height"), and will leave a portion of the 2.35:1 screen unused on either side. For added classiness, you hang blackout drapes that can be partially closed on either side to conceal the unused portion of the screen
--Bob

post #30532 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes that fixed the problem I mentioned in LF near 44Hz, and doesn't appear to have produced any new problems.

Thanks Bob. Now I can sit back and enjoy some movies until the replacement unit arrives.
post #30533 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

On the 8 mic position stuff, what I was asking is for you to specify the order of mic placements you used, starting with #1 in the center. I.e., where is #2, where is #3, etc.

.....#3......#1......#2
.........#4 ......#5
.....#6......#7......#8

I've lost track of the phase question you asked. What was it you were asking?

--Bob[/quote]

post #30534 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Where do you consider your primary, center seat to be? Between #4 and #5, or where you have #1 now?

The #1 mic position should be at your primary, center seat since that's the mic location that's used in setting the speaker levels.

If #1 really should be in the middle of the front row then a better set of mic placements would be:

This gives you more separation between sequential mic locations and also alternates either side of #1.

------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a ready explanation for your Phase result. Of course there are some mistakes that could produce this result, such as if your ARC-chosen crossover values were not in place and the crossover was, say at 80Hz, below the frequency range you were testing. Or if LF was mistakenly set to Large or "full range" while you were running the phase check so that no bass steering to the sub was happening.

Since you already know what to listen for in this test, I think the fact that you found no null is suspicious rather than an indication that things are "perfect". But there are some relative placements of sub and LF speaker that could cause enough reflections the phase cancellation got muddied (hard to hear).
--Bob

post #30535 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where do you consider your primary, center seat to be? Between #4 and #5, or where you have #1 now?

The #1 mic position should be at your primary, center seat since that's the mic location that's used in setting the speaker levels.

If #1 really should be in the middle of the front row then a better set of mic placements would be:

This gives you more separation between sequential mic locations and also alternates either side of #1.

------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a ready explanation for your Phase result. Of course there are some mistakes that could produce this result, such as if your ARC-chosen crossover values were not in place and the crossover was, say at 80Hz, below the frequency range you were testing. Or if LF was mistakenly set to Large or "full range" while you were running the phase check so that no bass steering to the sub was happening.

Since you already know what to listen for in this test, I think the fact that you found no null is suspicious rather than an indication that things are "perfect". But there are some relative placements of sub and LF speaker that could cause enough reflections the phase cancellation got muddied (hard to hear).
--Bob

Sorry for not being clear before...#1 is my primary listening position. Your suggestion makes sense to alternate the microphone positions as you indicated. I will re-measure and re-do the phase measurements as well.

Now for something cheesy...would you recommend to use the bass loudness control to "help" performance in the 100Hz region?

post #30536 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Sorry for not being clear before...#1 is my primary listening position. Your suggestion makes sense to alternate the microphone positions as you indicated. I will re-measure and re-do the phase measurements as well.

Now for something cheesy...would you recommend to use the bass loudness control to "help" performance in the 100Hz region?

No. First off those settings have no effect when taking ARC Measurements.

Applying them AFTER you've set up ARC will boost both LF and RF, but LF is almost corrected already so it will now be out of whack. And finally, I don't know what the contour is for those controls but the Bass tone adjustment likely centers below 100Hz.
--Bob

post #30537 of 43014 Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

New "Test" Firmware V2.10c for D2v / AVM 50v Now on Password Protected Download Page!

Anthem tech support has, late this evening, placed D2v and AVM 50v "test" firmware V2.10c on their password protected download page. Change notes for changes since "official" firmware V2.10 now read as follows:

Quote:

CHANGE LIST

v2.10c beta:

1. Changed Dolby Volume default to Off and Dolby Volume Leveler to Low.

v2.10b beta:

1. Further muting fixes, for a certain music server.

The default setting changes for Dolby Volume are certainly welcome. Note that if you ALREADY have a firmware version with Dolby Volume installed then these changes won't appear to take effect. That's because they apply to the "factory default" settings and the last step of your firmware install will be to reload the Saved User Settings you saved prior to the install.

Which means whatever settings you already had in effect for Dolby Volume On/Off and its Leveling value will return unchanged.

If this is the FIRST firmware version you've installed with Dolby Volume then, yes these changes will be in effect. But what have you been waiting for? Dolby Volume is in "official" firmware V2.10.

And of course if you Reload Factory Defaults after installing this firmware then these new default values will now be set.

I don't know if there are any other undocumented changes such as an attempt to adjust the channel levels mismatch MACCA350 reported. Post if you find anything interesting!

"Test" firmware for the original D2 and AVM 50 remains at V1.47f, so nothing new there yet.

As always, keep in mind that "test" firmware is not finished yet and may come with unpleasant surprises requiring you to roll back to a previous version.
--Bob

post #30538 of 43014 Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Greetings,

Hi Ralph.

I definitely agree with Bob and Jayray. Everything looks good except for your surrounds. You're asking your sub to step into unfamiliar territory with the 135 cutoff. If you could work with your surrounds to get a lower cutoff, like down to 120 or lower, would be best, and your sub will thank you for it. Other than that, you should be golden.
post #30539 of 43014 Old 10-12-2010, 05:08 AM

What USB to serial cable is recommended for arc and other updates? I know this has been posted before but I cannot find it. Thanks
post #30540 of 43014 Old 10-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMEATx View Post

What USB to serial cable is recommended for arc and other updates? I know this has been posted before but I cannot find it. Thanks

Keyspan USA-19HS. Attach this to your computer. The "straight through" serial cable goes from this to the back of the Anthem. It can be left permanently attached back there
--Bob

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page