post #30871 of 43096 Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc999 View Post
My 20-25 hz. was several dB hotter than the rest of the subs bandwidth with this setup. Maybe if your subs need a little boost in that region then it might work fine.

I went back to old left right arrangement but with a twist, they are now 7ft away from the front wall( dedicated theater) and I found that it has the best response using the quick measure tool provided by ARC 3.0. Its very similar to Jayray's sub position.

A lot of variables come to play with sub positioning but if you want a tried and tested 2 sub optimized placement, the front and back configuration is a great way to start.
Glad to hear that is working for you.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30872 of 43096 Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've not tried any combos like that but they undoubtedly exist.

Folks are getting enthusiastic about the iRule stuff which is wifi control from an Apple iPad to a control device that sits near your equipment. But I haven't looked into whether it attaches to the D2v via the RS-232 thus allowing, for example, two way communication so that you can query the D2v about current status/settings as well as change them.

There have been folks posting here on iRule and I gather there's a Forum here discussing it as well.

Of course for standard home theater automation stuff, serial control is well established as for example with the Crestron control equipment. The RS-232 command set in the Anthems is extensive beyond belief, so with a system like the Crestron you can do ANYTHING you might imagine -- e.g., directing the Anthem to display messages on your TV screen for example. In the case of the Crestron, control commands to its service box come from remote Crestron units.

The Anthem applications (firmware installs, ARC setup, remote settings control as from Live Video Settings Editor) all require a serial connection from a Windows PC.
--Bob

I can speak on using the d2v via rs232 and the Irule application. Bob is correct there is unlimited commands via rs232. You use a gateway connected to the d2v. I use an itach product. It works wonderfully.
post #30873 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

for jb5200 - In case "hidden" DSP settings such as nonzero Fronts Bass are at play, save user settings, load defaults, load user settings. This would clear them without affecting menu settings. Also use the on-screen meter in menu 8 to help find the right analog-in level setting.

If you need further assistance please contact tech support.

---------------------

for studlygoorite - In case it hasn't been considered or applied and it's not too late, you might want to use conduit for AV cabling - this will make future cable swaps a lot easier than fishing behind finished walls. 50 feet of straight copper for HDMI is tricky - at least make sure it's 23-gauge. For Category II (12-bit 1080p60 bandwidth required) the official limit is 25 feet.

As for unofficial limts:

At the factory's theater the D2v and LTX 500 have no hiccups with a 23-gauge 20 metre cable (over 60 feet). This was surprising and wouldn't you know it, when I tried to set up a second identical system it didn't work unless resolution was lowered. No sources were involved yet. The 20m cables were bought at the same time so I'm guessing they came from the same roll. Luckily the second system needed only 40 feet and when the shorter cable arrived everything worked like magic. You can never be sure about what'll happen till you try it.

Hey everybody, thanks for the tips!

So I took my D1 and my PS Audio DLIII to my buddies house b/c he has pretty much the same system (D1, same amps, same speakers, same cables) the only thing different is he has a Wyred4Sound DAC2. Well after many tests to try to get this thing figured out here are my results:

1st test - connected the DLIII to his D1 with all same menu settings - same results, really fuzzy and by really fuzzy I mean so fuzzy you can't even understand what song is playing! So that rules out the D1 right? It's gotta be the DAC is what we're thinking!

2nd test - connected the DLIII directly to the amps taking the D1 out of the picture. WOW! It was perfect. I mean it actually was the best that I have ever heard that DAC. I was completely blown away by how good it actually was. So at this point I am completely confused b/c it's not the DAC.

Interesting part here - pay attention! B/c the DLIII was so inspiring I wanted to do an A/B against the W4S. I realize there is a second or two time delay switching the XLR cables but here's the results. Both DAC's were so close that if you did a blind test my buddy and I both agreed that you wouldn't be able to tell which was which. The DLIII was actually cleaner in certain parts of the song and had much fuller bass, which I prefer. The W4S had tighter bass but a little grungier sound and the vocals were much more forward. We were both expecting the differences to be a little greater but MAN they were so similar it wasn't even funny!

3rd test - connected the W4S to my D1 with same menu settings - clear as a frickin bell.

Now one thing we noticed was that when we had the DACs connected straight to the amps the volume for the DLIII was set to 16 on Winamp and with the W4S it was 63, so that has play some part but not sure.

4th test - connected my D1 straight usb thinking maybe the Hiface w/coax caused it - same result, fuzzy as can be so it wasn't the Hiface.

5th test - connected the D1 using an Oppo as a transport only - same result, fuzzy.

- Anthem D1 connected RCA using CD input - sound is very good
- Anthem D1 connected XLR 2ch AnalogDIR - sound is clear as a bell but no bass mgmt. or ARC
- Anthem D1 connected XLR 2ch AnalogDSP - sound again is fuzzier than fuzzy

So for some reason that I cannot figure out the D1 with the PS Audio DLIII in AnalogDSP will not work, which doesn't make any sense to me that a different DAC does. I tried lowering the input levels like mentioned in an earlier post and it did get rid of the fuzziness but the sound was horrible - glassy, hard, sharp, no bass. I tried raising the fronts bass like Nick@Anthem told me but that didn't help, the sound just wasn't balanced at all. It just wasn't good at all. I had v1.31 and updated to 1.33 so I did the saved settings, load defaults, and loaded user settings and didn't help. It shouldn't be this hard, I should be able to connect a different DAC and it should be all good and I did with the W4S - clear as a bell. Put the DLIII in and fuzzy as can be.

Sorry for such a long post but I am at a loss! Any test or setting I am overlooking??? I will post on Anthem and PS Audio to see if they have any suggestions as well.

Thanks for every ones help!
post #30874 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bob, a few posts back You indicated that messages could be sent to the TV screen over the RS232 interface. For the life of me I can not figure out how to do that. I can't find a command that will me to overlay text or force text to screen. I can see doing it with a source switch, but I do not want to do that due to switching delays. Any Hints?
post #30875 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb5200 View Post

So I took my D1 and my PS Audio DLIII to my buddies house b/c he has pretty much the same system (D1, same amps, same speakers, same cables) the only thing different is he has a Wyred4Sound DAC2. Well after many tests to try to get this thing figured out here are my results:

1st test - connected the DLIII to his D1 with all same menu settings - same results, really fuzzy and by really fuzzy I mean so fuzzy you can't even understand what song is playing! So that rules out the D1 right? It's gotta be the DAC is what we're thinking!

2nd test - connected the DLIII directly to the amps taking the D1 out of the picture. WOW! It was perfect. I mean it actually was the best that I have ever heard that DAC. I was completely blown away by how good it actually was. So at this point I am completely confused b/c it's not the DAC.

Interesting part here - pay attention! B/c the DLIII was so inspiring I wanted to do an A/B against the W4S. I realize there is a second or two time delay switching the XLR cables but here's the results. Both DAC's were so close that if you did a blind test my buddy and I both agreed that you wouldn't be able to tell which was which. The DLIII was actually cleaner in certain parts of the song and had much fuller bass, which I prefer. The W4S had tighter bass but a little grungier sound and the vocals were much more forward. We were both expecting the differences to be a little greater but MAN they were so similar it wasn't even funny!

3rd test - connected the W4S to my D1 with same menu settings - clear as a frickin bell.

Now one thing we noticed was that when we had the DACs connected straight to the amps the volume for the DLIII was set to 16 on Winamp and with the W4S it was 63, so that has play some part but not sure.

4th test - connected my D1 straight usb thinking maybe the Hiface w/coax caused it - same result, fuzzy as can be so it wasn't the Hiface.

5th test - connected the D1 using an Oppo as a transport only - same result, fuzzy.

- Anthem D1 connected RCA using CD input - sound is very good
- Anthem D1 connected XLR 2ch AnalogDIR - sound is clear as a bell but no bass mgmt. or ARC
- Anthem D1 connected XLR 2ch AnalogDSP - sound again is fuzzier than fuzzy

So for some reason that I cannot figure out the D1 with the PS Audio DLIII in AnalogDSP will not work, which doesn't make any sense to me that a different DAC does. I tried lowering the input levels like mentioned in an earlier post and it did get rid of the fuzziness but the sound was horrible - glassy, hard, sharp, no bass. I tried raising the fronts bass like Nick@Anthem told me but that didn't help, the sound just wasn't balanced at all. It just wasn't good at all. I had v1.31 and updated to 1.33 so I did the saved settings, load defaults, and loaded user settings and didn't help. It shouldn't be this hard, I should be able to connect a different DAC and it should be all good and I did with the W4S - clear as a bell. Put the DLIII in and fuzzy as can be.

Sorry for such a long post but I am at a loss! Any test or setting I am overlooking??? I will post on Anthem and PS Audio to see if they have any suggestions as well.

Sorry your having so much trouble.
After looking on the PS DLIII manual there is one setting on the PS DLIII you need to check.
The PS DLIII can be set to output 96 or 192 khz.
The D1 (or D2) can only accept 96 khz.
Make sure that the PS is set to output 96 klhz.

Other than that, you can put your PS for sale on Audiogon and pick up a used W4S.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #30876 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
He's using an analog connection, so a 96 vs 192 KHz output setting in the DAC should make no difference. Sampling rate is a characteristic of a digital audio signal only. Of course there could be a bug in the DAC.

ETA: Perhaps I misunderstand, as why would a DAC -- an analog output device -- even OFFER a 96 vs. 192KHz "output" setting??
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30877 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

1st test – connected the DLIII to his D1 with all same menu settings – same results, really fuzzy and by really fuzzy I mean so fuzzy you can’t even understand what song is playing! So that rules out the D1 right? It’s gotta be the DAC is what we’re thinking!

2nd test – connected the DLIII directly to the amps taking the D1 out of the picture. WOW! It was perfect. I mean it actually was the best that I have ever heard that DAC. I was completely blown away by how good it actually was. So at this point I am completely confused b/c it’s not the DAC.

Interesting part here – pay attention! B/c the DLIII was so inspiring I wanted to do an A/B against the W4S. I realize there is a second or two time delay switching the XLR cables but here’s the results. Both DAC’s were so close that if you did a blind test my buddy and I both agreed that you wouldn’t be able to tell which was which. The DLIII was actually cleaner in certain parts of the song and had much fuller bass, which I prefer. The W4S had tighter bass but a little grungier sound and the vocals were much more forward. We were both expecting the differences to be a little greater but MAN they were so similar it wasn’t even funny!

3rd test – connected the W4S to my D1 with same menu settings – clear as a frickin bell.

4th test – connected my D1 straight usb thinking maybe the Hiface w/coax caused it – same result, fuzzy as can be so it wasn’t the Hiface.

5th test – connected the D1 using an Oppo as a transport only – same result, fuzzy.

- Anthem D1 connected RCA using CD input – sound is very good
- Anthem D1 connected XLR 2ch AnalogDIR – sound is clear as a bell but no bass mgmt. or ARC
- Anthem D1 connected XLR 2ch AnalogDSP – sound again is fuzzier than fuzzy

So for some reason that I cannot figure out the D1 with the PS Audio DLIII in AnalogDSP will not work, which doesn’t make any sense to me that a different DAC does. I tried lowering the input levels like mentioned in an earlier post and it did get rid of the fuzziness but the sound was horrible – glassy, hard, sharp, no bass. I tried raising the fronts bass like Nick@Anthem told me but that didn’t help, the sound just wasn’t balanced at all. It just wasn’t good at all. I had v1.31 and updated to 1.33 so I did the saved settings, load defaults, and loaded user settings and didn’t help. It shouldn’t be this hard, I should be able to connect a different DAC and it should be all good and I did with the W4S – clear as a bell. Put the DLIII in and fuzzy as can be.

Explain your 4th test: "Connected my D1 straight USB"

Huh?

Explain your 5th test: "Oppo used as a transport only - same result fuzzy."

The Oppo you are using has XLR stereo output??

In your test with the DAC directly connected to the amps I believe you said you had to crank UP some sort of volume setting for your DAC as opposed to your friend's DAC? Is that correct? Your DAC was putting out too LITTLE analog voltage? That is, did you mean the volume settings were -16dB compared to -63dB?

Or was it just the other way around, that your DAC was putting out WAY TOO MUCH analog voltage? So that you had to dramatically lower the volume when using your DAC.

And where were you adjusting this volume? On the input signal to your DAC? Some control inside the DAC? Some volume adjustment built into the amps?
--Bob

post #30878 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

Bob, a few posts back You indicated that messages could be sent to the TV screen over the RS232 interface. For the life of me I can not figure out how to do that. I can't find a command that will me to overlay text or force text to screen. I can see doing it with a source switch, but I do not want to do that due to switching delays. Any Hints?

I haven't tried it myself, but we've had a couple posts here saying somebody figured out a way to do it. I presume they were using the same character generator that produces the on-screen status and volume messages (e.g., when you press the Select button), so I'd look for commands that might seem related to that.
--Bob

post #30879 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

He's using an analog connection, so a 96 vs 192 KHz output setting should make no difference. Sampling rate is a characteristic of a digital audio signal only. Of course there could be a bug in the DAC.
--Bob

You are right, of course.

Just thinking that with the D2 set to straight 'Analog' the PS DLIII plays clear, but in 'AnalogDSP' its fuzzy or harsh- maybe in the a/d then d/a conversions in 'AnalogDSP' the output setting in the PS DLIII might make a difference.
It probably won't make a difference, but its only one button push on the PS DLIII to try.

I do remember trying a Cambridge Audio 840c cdp with my D2. The 840c outputs at 394/24 via xlr, and it sounded just terrible. I'm sure I was using 'AnalogDSP' in the D2 for ARC.
The CA 840c had gotten rave reviews, But thru the D2 it was fuzzy and harsh. Unlistenable. And I had adjusted the analog input to -6 for 2ch.

Just think its worth a try. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

Tom

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #30880 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

row 84:

P1z xA display a message "A" on the main zone OSD and front panel LCD line x=1,2(1=line 1,2=line 2)

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #30881 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

You are right, of course.

Just thinking that with the D2 set to straight 'Analog' the PS DLIII plays clear, but in 'AnalogDSP' its fuzzy or harsh- maybe in the a/d then d/a conversions in 'AnalogDSP' the output setting in the PS DLIII might make a difference.
It probably won't make a difference, but its only one button push on the PS DLIII to try.

I do remember trying a Cambridge Audio 840c cdp with my D2. The 840c outputs at 394/24 via xlr, and it sounded just terrible. I'm sure I was using 'AnalogDSP' in the D2 for ARC.
The CA 840c had gotten rave reviews, But thru the D2 it was fuzzy and harsh. Unlistenable. And I had adjusted the analog input to -6 for 2ch.

Just think its worth a try. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

Tom

I'm pretty certain the key finding here will be that volume difference he reported when he played both DACs directly into the amps. If his DAC is putting out bogus voltage that will screw up the digitizer in the D1. If the bogus voltage is WAY off, adjusting the input trim to compensate may screw up the signal quality. We should be looking for a setting that defines what output voltage his DAC should be generating on its XLR outputs.

But I also want to find out what the heck he did with that Oppo test. If he meant he's got an Oppo with XLR outputs and he hooked that up directly to the D1's XLR inputs and got bad results, then that's an important result. But I didn't think Oppo had any older players with XLR outputs. Their current Blu-Ray players don't have them.

Anyway, as I said it could be a bug in the DAC and changing that setting may be just the trick, even if there's no logical reason for it. As you say, worth a try. I wonder what they could possibly mean by having that as an "output" setting, though.
--Bob

post #30882 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

row 84:

P1z xA display a message "A" on the main zone OSD and front panel LCD line x=1,2(1=line 1,2=line 2)

Proving once again that Anthem factory support has ALL the answers!
--Bob

post #30883 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Over in the thread where people hae been discussing the MRX receivers, Nick just stated that the upcoming firmware update for them to enable 3D support will mean that a 3D signal bypasses the video processor.

Hmmm, I wonder if that means the HDMI V1.4 upgrade for the D2v and AVM 50v will also bypass the video processor when a 3D signal is present?

If so, that would be yet another reason to not want to use 3D.
--Bob

post #30884 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Over in the thread where people hae been discussing the MRX receivers, Nick just stated that the upcoming firmware update for them to enable 3D support will mean that a 3D signal bypasses the video processor.

Hmmm, I wonder if that means the HDMI V1.4 upgrade for the D2v and AVM 50v will also bypass the video processor when a 3D signal is present?

If so, that would be yet another reason to not want to use 3D.
--Bob

I'm personally not on the 3d bandwagon.
post #30885 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The best 3D I saw at Cedia was at JVC where the demonstrated their 2D-3D converter. You would swear you were looking through a window. They demo'd sports and a travelogue. The converter is made for broadcast stations and costs $30,000 So I for one will wait. The 3D I have seen in theaters did not impress me the way the JVC demo did.

In todays state of video, there should not be much processing of 3D content needed. The source will be a fairly pristine signal (bluray) and the sink a high quality display with native resolutions just where they should be (1920 @ 24fps post process). I do not think there will be much need for video scaling or adjustment.
post #30886 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Explain your 4th test: "Connected my D1 straight USB"

Huh?

Explain your 5th test: "Oppo used as a transport only - same result fuzzy."

The Oppo you are using has XLR stereo output??

In your test with the DAC directly connected to the amps I believe you said you had to crank UP some sort of volume setting for your DAC as opposed to your friend's DAC? Is that correct? Your DAC was putting out too LITTLE analog voltage? That is, did you mean the volume settings were -16dB compared to -63dB?

Or was it just the other way around, that your DAC was putting out WAY TOO MUCH analog voltage? So that you had to dramatically lower the volume when using your DAC.

And where were you adjusting this volume? On the input signal to your DAC? Some control inside the DAC? Some volume adjustment built into the amps?
--Bob

Oh yeah, I just didn't want to write a book so I might have left a few details out.

Test 4 was straight USB from the computer to the DAC USB and then XLR out to the D1 and then XLR out to the amps.

Test 5 was with the Coax out of the Oppo to the Coax into the DAC and then XLR out to the D1 then XLR out to the amps.

When we connected the DACs directly to the amps it was connected from the computer using coax to the back of DAC and then XLR to the amps. I don't have vol. control on the DLIII so we used the volume on the software program Winamp on the computer where we play the songs. The thing we noticed was the W4S needed the vol. bar slid to 63% to get to the same volume versus mine (DLIII) only needed to be at about 16%, so I am assuming that has something to do with it.

There really are no other controls on the DLIII other than the 96 or 192khz button on the front, so if something needed to be adjusted it would need to be inside which is above my league. I have a post to PS Audio and Anthem so hopefully they can provide a little insight.

I hope that helps - I'm not usually the best at explaining things.
post #30887 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

OK, there's nothing there that contradicts the theory your DAC is putting out way too much voltage on its XLR outputs.
--Bob

post #30888 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There really are no other controls on the DLIII other than the 96 or 192khz button on the front, so if something needed to be adjusted it would need to be inside which is above my league. I have a post to PS Audio and Anthem so hopefully they can provide a little insight.

So, you tried both the 96 and 192kHz settings on the PS DLIII and they both sounded bad?

If so, I think you and Bob are right about it having something to do with the volume (voltage?) in the PS DLII dac.

Good luck figuring out,

Tom

post #30889 of 43096 Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Oh yeah, I just didn't want to write a book so I might have left a few details out.

Test 4 was straight USB from the computer to the DAC USB and then XLR out to the D1 and then XLR out to the amps.

Test 5 was with the Coax out of the Oppo to the Coax into the DAC and then XLR out to the D1 then XLR out to the amps.

When we connected the DACs directly to the amps it was connected from the computer using coax to the back of DAC and then XLR to the amps. I don't have vol. control on the DLIII so we used the volume on the software program Winamp on the computer where we play the songs. The thing we noticed was the W4S needed the vol. bar slid to 63% to get to the same volume versus mine (DLIII) only needed to be at about 16%, so I am assuming that has something to do with it.

I hope that helps - I'm not usually the best at explaining things.

I think I would be suspicious of the Winamp player.
Was your friends system also using that player ?
I am not real familiar with the Winamp player but do know that it is mainly an MP3 player.
MAKE SURE the Auto volume controls are switched off and the EQ is turned off.
I would download another free audio player to try.
Maybe VLC, Media Monkey or Foobar. Worth a try.
post #30890 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 AM

Yeah, I use Media Monkey at my house and no difference. All files in both Media Monkey and Winamp were ripped into wave.
post #30891 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

I think I would be suspicious of the Winamp player.
Was your friends system also using that player ?
I am not real familiar with the Winamp player but do know that it is mainly an MP3 player.
MAKE SURE the Auto volume controls are switched off and the EQ is turned off.
I would download another free audio player to try.
Maybe VLC, Media Monkey or Foobar. Worth a try.

He's also having the problem driving his DAC using an Oppo player (no Winamp involved), so although Winamp may have its own problems, it is not the root cause of THIS problem.
--Bob

post #30892 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I tried raising the fronts bass like Nick@Anthem told me

not what I said... from the top:

Clear potentially unknown or forgotten on-the-fly settings (save user settings, load defaults, load user settings) then use on-screen meter in Analog Input Levels menu to adjust (details in manual section 3.8).

And yes, as others mentioned make sure the source is putting out a clean flat signal.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #30893 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 AM

I just got my Anthem D2v and initial impression is very poor. I dont find any sound quaility difference between my Denon 3311CI and Anthem. I have not run ARC setup yet. Even without ARC setup i was expecting a big improvement in sound quality. Even my wife said she did not find any difference in sound quality.
post #30894 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerapaneni View Post

I just got my Anthem D2v and initial impression is very poor. I dont find any sound quaility difference between my Denon 3311CI and Anthem. I have not run ARC setup yet. Even without ARC setup i was expecting a big improvement in sound quality. Even my wife said she did not find any difference in sound quality.

Wait until you run ARC to make your judgement. If you changed to new speakers as well, keep in mind that speakers often need break in time.

Double check the basics of your setup as well. Simple mistakes like wiring up one or more speakers with reversed polarity, or having the sub volume way off, can produce audio problems that outweigh any gain you might get with better equipment.

Also keep in mind that the quality of your audio source content is important. Better equipment won't make bad source content sound better. In fact it may make the problems in the source content more noticeable. If you aren't hearing any specific problems, but just aren't hearing an improvement you hoped for, that could be the cause.
--Bob

post #30895 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by veerapaneni
It is highly unlikely hundreds of Anthem owners and most reviewers are wrong about their observations. I'd follow Bob's advice and report back later.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #30896 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
You must have also gotten a Bunch More Stuff.

The Denon has built-in AMPs.

The D2v is a Pre/Pro and it costs 10 times more than Denon costs.
post #30897 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

I agree with all these . Thats why i have spend a lot of money and bought D2v. I am using Logitech Squeezbox to play music from My Computer and using Digitial connection of Squeezbox to connect to D2V.
post #30898 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I agree with all these . Thats why i have spend a lot of money and bought D2v. I am using Logitech Squeezbox to play music from My Computer and using Digitial connection of Squeezbox to connect to D2V.
If you haven't changed speakers or amps as well, odds are you just have a simple setup mistake in your D2v setup.

Don't panic. Just take the time to work through this stuff. Check your wiring, check your Source definitions, check the Speaker Configuration settings you are using now (pre-ARC). Check your speaker levels (Setup > Level Calibration) and your speaker distance settings.

Check what the D2v says it is receiving for audio input from the Squeezbox.

OH, and if you haven't already done so, be sure to check and make sure you have Dolby Volume set to OFF for every Setup > Source Setup definition.
--Bob

post #30899 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Check how you set the D2v up. Even before ARC, I heard audio improvement and after ARC the improvement is amazing. Why would you not run ARC?
post #30900 of 43096 Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhodge View Post
Check how you set the D2v up. Even before ARC, I heard audio improvement and after ARC the improvement is amazing. Why would you not run ARC?

I am waiting for my Anthem P5 Amp which is going to come ON Wednesday. Dont want to run it twice. I know it is going to improve after running ARC , But i was expecting much before running ARC.

Is there a configuration setting where i upconvert my Audio? or is it default setting ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page