post #31381 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post

Just got my exchange unit D2v for my D2. Cannot wait to set it up...

You have a WHOLE HOLIDAY to play with it - ENJOY

NO TURKEY for SLOTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31382 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I will get to it after turkey... lots of time... but would like it up and running now..
thks
post #31383 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farayar View Post

How should the RadioShack SPL meter be used to set the correct sub phase using the method mvppsu is describing?

Thanks.

Best Method

Get the AS-EQ1 subwoofer equalizer from SVS. Though discontinued, find one asap. It will time and amplitude align up to 2 subs indepently and simultaneously.

In the absence of the above then I'd suggest you use one of 2 methods. The 'NULL' method or the 'PEAK' method. I also would suggest you first go through the normal speaker calibration process as has been described here generously and many times over by Bob Pariseau and others. Both methods also require you to have an external noise source set to generate signals around your crossover frequency as indicated by previous ARC measurements.

Before you start, make sure the phase knobs (if they exist) of your subs are set to 0 degrees!!!

NULL Method:

1. After, the above calibration process is done, now reverse the polarity of the LF speaker terminals. You can do this directly at the speaker terminals or at the back/rear of your power amplifier (but NOT both).

2. Go to your sub distance setting in the Setup -> Listener Position -> Subwoofer in the setup menu.

3. Play your noise source and measure the SPL reading on your RS meter as you vary the subwoofer distance settings from 0 to max in 0.5 ft increments as you record the SPL reading from the RS meter.

4. The distance setting that gives you the MINIMUM reading is the optimal sub distance. You're done ....

Remember to reverse the LF speaker terminals (at the speaker itself or the back of the power amp) to their correct polarity!!!.

PEAK Method:

1. Do NOT reverse LF speaker polarity as described above in NULL method.

Same steps 2-3 as above.

4. The distance setting that gives you the MAXIMUM reading is the optimal sub distance. You're done ....

My preference is for the NULL method for its easier to detect reliable nulls than peaks on the RS meter.

God bless and Happy Thanksgiving!

David

EDIT: You might have to re-ARC your system after the above mentioned phase alignment.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #31384 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i have a 2 channel classe omega pre amp how do i connect it to the d2, does the d2 have a pass through so that i can use the classe omega for my 2 channel listening.
post #31385 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

i have a 2 channel classe omega pre amp how do i connect it to the d2, does the d2 have a pass through so that i can use the classe omega for my 2 channel listening.

Simply connect the stereo XLR or RCA outputs of the preamp into the 2-Channel XLR inputs of the D2 or one of the many 2-channel rca inputs it has.

Just make sure for whatever input is used to have its EQ turned off. In short no ARC processing for that channel. This will disable all bass management functions and simplay pass the audio unprocessed to the D2's XLR or rca outputs.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #31386 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Simply connect the stereo XLR or RCA outputs of the preamp into the 2-Channel XLR inputs of the D2 or one of the many 2-channel rca inputs it has.

Just make sure for whatever input is used to have its EQ turned off. In short no ARC processing for that channel. This will disable all bass management functions and simplay pass the audio unprocessed to the D2's XLR or rca outputs.

You don't want to plug the 2 channel preamp's output into the Anthem. That would defeat the purpose of the 2 channel preamp since you would now have 2 volume controls.

I don't think the Classe Omega has a Home Theater Pass Through setting which is needed to utilize it in a shared system. The only other way to make this work is to connect the Anthems Front L/R outputs to an input on the Classe preamp and always manually set the Classe Preamp to a certain volume when using the Anthem. It would need to be set to the same volume everytime you use the Anthem including when you do a calibration.

B&W 803d, HTM2D, Paradigm ADP3v2 | JL Audio Fathom F113 | Aura Bass Shakers
McIntosh MX119, MC402 | Parasound 2205a | Velodyne SMS-1
PS Audio Perfectwave Dac MKII, Perfectwave P5 | Genesis Digital Lens
Oppo BDP-95 | DVDO Duo | JVC HD350 Projector
post #31387 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:

I'd suggest you use one of 2 methods. The 'NULL' method or the 'PEAK' method. I also would suggest you first go through the normal speaker calibration process as has been described here generously and many times over by Bob Pariseau and others. Both methods also require you to have an external noise source set enerate signals around your crossover frequency as indicated by previous ARC measurements.

NULL Method:

1. After, the above calibration process is done, now reverse the polarity of the LF speaker terminals. You can do this directly at the speaker terminals or at the back/rear of your power amplifier (but NOT both).

2. Go to your sub distance setting in the Setup -> Listener Position -> Subwoofer in the setup menu.

3. Play your noise source and measure the SPL reading on your RS meter as you vary the subwoofer distance settings from 0 to max in 0.5 ft increments as you record the SPL reading from the RS meter.

4. The distance setting that gives you the MINIMUM reading is the optimal sub distance. You're done ....

Remember to reverse the LF speaker terminals (at the speaker itself or the back of the power amp) to their correct polarity.

PEAK Method:

Same steps 2-3 as above.

4. The distance setting that gives you the MAXIMUM reading is the optimal sub distance. You're done ....

My preference is for the NULL method for its easier to detect reliable nulls than peaks on the RS meter.

David

EDIT: You might have to re-ARC your system after the above mentioned phase alignment.

These directions are correct, but you don't need to re-ARC afterwards. Phase does not effect the ARC process.

post #31388 of 43014 Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvppsu View Post

You don't want to plug the 2 channel preamp's output into the Anthem. That would defeat the purpose of the 2 channel preamp since you would now have 2 volume controls.

I don't think the Classe Omega has a Home Theater Pass Through setting which is needed to utilize it in a shared system. The only other way to make this work is to connect the Anthems Front L/R outputs to an input on the Classe preamp and always manually set the Classe Preamp to a certain volume when using the Anthem. It would need to be set to the same volume everytime you use the Anthem including when you do a calibration.

Ooops...you're correct! I didn't think about the dueling volume controls.

post #31389 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:

Ooops...you're correct! I didn't think about the dueling volume controls.

the d2 has no pass through on it that i can use the omega preamp's volume control?
post #31390 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:

I'd suggest you use one of 2 methods. The 'NULL' method or the 'PEAK' method. I also would suggest you first go through the normal speaker calibration process as has been described here generously and many times over by Bob Pariseau and others. Both methods also require you to have an external noise source set enerate signals around your crossover frequency as indicated by previous ARC measurements.

NULL Method:

Remember to reverse the LF speaker terminals (at the speaker itself or the back of the power amp) to their correct polarity.

PEAK Method:

Same steps 2-3 as above.

David

Thank you very much David for your input and thank you mvppsu for posting your method. I will try this today at night.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. Have a nice Holiday.
post #31391 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Whatever you believe you're gaining by going Analog direct, therefore without ARC, I suspect you'll lose more by not having ARC engaged, IMHO.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #31392 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:

the d2 has no pass through on it that i can use the omega preamp's volume control?

No, there are no surround processors that I know of that have this feature. Usually when people want to integrate a 2 channel preamp and surround processor, they use a 2 channel preamp with a home theater pass through function. See Parasound 2100, Parasound JC2 BP, Krell KAV preamps, etc. In these setups the output of the surround processer goes into the HT passthrough input of hte 2 channel preamp. When listening to music, the signal does not go through the surround processor at all. When listening to movies, the output of hte surround processor goes through the 2 channel preamp with no volume attenuation.

post #31393 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The way I have seen it done is you need to put your analog preamp between the D2 and Amp (If your preamp has a processor pass thru with a gain of 1).
This way all the analog inputs you want untouched goes from your analog source - analog preamp - amp.
And all the other source goes hdmi source - D2 - analog preamp (in 1:1 mode) - analog amp. And this is just for the left and right front channels, the other channels goes directly from the D2 - surround / subwoofer amp.
post #31394 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 PM

I am trying to figure if I need rs232 control over my D2v. Would IR codes give me direct access to inputs such as DVD1 and DVD2? Are there other benefits? Thanks
post #31395 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantha1 View Post

I am trying to figure if I need rs232 control over my D2v. Would IR codes give me direct access to inputs such as DVD1 and DVD2? Are there other benefits? Thanks

Yes. On the IR it is a 3 button sequence to switch to a specific input. See Appendix A in the Manual.

The RS232 control is way more extensive then the IR. Way more. In the ARC install kit download from the Anthem site you will find a spreadsheet that details the RS232 stuff.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #31396 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Whatever you believe you're gaining by going Analog direct, therefore without ARC, I suspect you'll lose more by not having ARC engaged, IMHO.
John

Yes, before I had my D2V I used a Krell KAV integrated amp in passthrough mode with my receiver for stereo playback sourced from a external DAC. After getting the D2V I found the quality difference between the Krell/DAC and the D2V negligible, and the benefit of having ARC tilted the balance towards having the D2V handle everything.

Ultimately I moved the DAC+Krell to a stereo only system.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #31397 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These directions are correct, but you don't need to re-ARC afterwards. Phase does not effect the ARC process.

mvppsu:

Just completed my dual sub alignment using your method and got some interesting results. My room size is 11.0' x 20.0' x 8.0' (Length, Width and Height). I have one sub on either either of the room and I had programmed a subwoofer distance of 10' distance in ARC setup, the average distance between the 2 subs and my listening position.

I adjusted the sub distance setting from 0.0' to 99.0' (which is the maximum possible) as I observed for the lowest null on my RS meter. My test frequency was 90Hz, the crossover ARC had picked earlier during the calibration process.

From distances of 56' - 99', the null reading was 67dB on my RS meter, decreasing to 61dB at 50'.

From then on, I got the lowest possible nulls of 58dB at distances of:

1. 48.5'
2. 36' - 36.5'
3. 23' - 24' .... and lastly
4. 10.5 - 11.5'.

Roughly every 12 feet or so, i get the lowest null of 58dB. So, which distance should i set for my subwoofers (and why)?

I have currently changed it from 10' to 11.0'.

Thanks,
David

post #31398 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:

mvppsu:

Just completed my dual sub alignment using your method and got some interesting results. My room size is 11.0' x 20.0' x 8.0' (Length, Width and Height). I have one sub on either either of the room and I had programmed a subwoofer distance of 10' distance in ARC setup, the average distance between the 2 subs and my listening position.

I adjusted the sub distance setting from 0.0' to 99.0' (which is the maximum possible) as I observed for the lowest null on my RS meter. My test frequency was 90Hz, the crossover ARC had picked earlier during the calibration process.

From distances of 56' - 99', the null reading was 67dB on my RS meter, decreasing to 61dB at 50'.

1. 48.5'
2. 36' - 36.5'
4. 10.5 - 11.5'.

Roughly every 12 feet or so, i get the lowest null of 58dB. So, which distance should i set for my subwoofers (and why)?

Thanks,
David

1st, the wavelength at 90hz is 12.5'. That is why the same measurment repeats itself over and over again every 12.5'.

good calculator here: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-wavelength.htm

2nd, This situation demonstrates the difficulty of getting the correct phase with a single frequency measurement. One of these settings may be the correct one, but without measuring the response over a range of frequencies it will be hard to determine which one. At each of these settings you get the best response at 90hz, but there are likely dips elsewhere with the wrong setting. You can try to measure a few other frequencies at each of these settings and use the setting that gets the best response at all the frequencies measured.

Example: At each of the distances you list above, also measure at 70hz and 110hz (just randonly picked frequencies spaced around 90hz). Then pick the setting that gives the best response across all frequencies. (Do this with the front speakers wired with the correct phase setting. Therefore you will be looking for the setting where all frequencies are at their peak).

My guess is that 10' is probably too close to the distance of your front speakers, and in my experience the correct setting will almost always be further than the front speaker distance.

When I get a chance I will take some screen captures of the velodyne sms measured response of my system at a variety of sub distance settings to show why it is so difficult to get it right with a single frequency measurment.

post #31399 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:

mvppsu:

1. 48.5'
2. 36' - 36.5'
4. 10.5 - 11.5'.

Thanks,
David

I just remembered that you mentioned using the AS-EQ1 to eq your subs before using ARC. If you are indeed using the AS-EQ1, it introduces about a 8ms delay which converts to ~9 feet of delay. So your correct setting for sub distance needs to be at least 9 feet further than the distance of your front speakers. So 10.5 feet is definetly out.

post #31400 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1st, the wavelength at 90hz is 12.5'. That is why the same measurment repeats itself over and over again every 12.5'.

good calculator here: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-wavelength.htm

2nd, This situation demonstrates the difficulty of getting the correct phase with a single frequency measurement. One of these settings may be the correct one, but without measuring the response over a range of frequencies it will be hard to determine which one. At each of these settings you get the best response at 90hz, but there are likely dips elsewhere with the wrong setting. You can try to measure a few other frequencies at each of these settings and use the setting that gets the best response at all the frequencies measured.

Example: At each of the distances you list above, also measure at 70hz and 110hz (just randonly picked frequencies spaced around 90hz). Then pick the setting that gives the best response across all frequencies. (Do this with the front speakers wired with the correct phase setting. Therefore you will be looking for the setting where all frequencies are at their peak).

My guess is that 10' is probably too close to the distance of your front speakers, and in my experience the correct setting will almost always be further than the front speaker distance.

When I get a chance I will take some screen captures of the velodyne sms measured response of my system at a variety of sub distance settings to show why it is so difficult to get it right with a single frequency measurment.

Good info mvp...thanx!

My fronts & sub are 14' infront of me and rear sub is 6' behind me hence the 10' average distance setting.

Your comment on single frequency measuremt is valid and well-taken. What tones does the Velodyne use?

I guess the ideal would be band-limited noise from maybe 70Hz - 110Hz or so (in my case). I'm not sure how to find such as source but would broadband pink/white noise sources be a reasonable alternative? OTA maybe I should take measurements every 5Hz from 70 to 110Hz...

post #31401 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Good info mvp...thanx!

My fronts & sub are 14' infront of me and rear sub is 6' behind me hence the 10' average distance setting.

Your comment on single frequency measuremt is valid and well-taken. What tones does the Velodyne use?

I guess the ideal would be band-limited noise from maybe 70Hz - 110Hz or so (in my case). I'm not sure how to find such as source but would broadband pink/white noise sources be a reasonable alternative? OTA maybe I should take measurements every 5Hz from 70 to 110Hz...

The Velodyne sweeps from 15-150hz.

I would just measure individual frequencies and make a plot.

post #31402 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Velodyne sweeps from 15-150hz.

I would just measure individual frequencies and make a plot.

Sounds like a plan...Thanx again!

post #31403 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Good evening all. Anyone able to lend an opinion or help is appreciated.

I continue to have blu-ray connectivity issues from my Panasonic Blu-ray to my Anthem AVM50. I get the U73 error (HDMI) and spend 5-10 minutes or more every disc getting the units to sync. I recently purchased a Panasonic BD85k in hopes of fixing the issue, but it has not. All my firmware is up to date.

What settings must I change to prevent this problem or better yet which blu-ray players with TruDolby & DTS HD output via PCM works better with the Anthem units and prevents this frustration?

I have done the searches in this thread and this forum without any luck.

Thanks
Randy
post #31404 of 43014 Old 11-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman; View Post

I continue to have blu-ray connectivity issues from my Panasonic Blu-ray to my Anthem AVM50. I get the U73 error (HDMI) and spend 5-10 minutes or more every disc getting the units to sync. I recently purchased a Panasonic BD85k in hopes of fixing the issue, but it has not. All my firmware is up to date.

What settings must I change to prevent this problem or better yet which blu-ray players with TruDolby & DTS HD output via PCM works better with the Anthem units and prevents this frustration?

Thanks
Randy

Prior to the OPPO, I had no issue running a Panasonic bd30 with the D2v.

Cheers
post #31405 of 43014 Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post

Thanks
Randy

Which firmware are you using? If it is v1.33, email Anthem tech. To get the beta v.47 which has solved a lot of syncing issues.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #31406 of 43014 Old 11-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Liked: 15
Hi guys. Before going ahead using Quick Measure for the Sub, do I need to reset the D2v to factory defaults or just do the measurements find the best location then run ARC again for the rest of the system? And prior to running ARC just note down the original settings for the main volume level and go from there.

Quote:

Just remember you need to restore your setup after using Quick Measure. Either do a new ARC setup, or re-Upload your most recent ARC results, or Reload Saved User Settings if you remembered to save those after your prior ARC Upload.

So if I find the best location for the sub I really to need to redo ARC? It doesn't save my results for the sub position separately and combine with an already saved ARC cal?
post #31407 of 43014 Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

Hi guys. Before going ahead using Quick Measure for the Sub, do I need to reset the D2v to factory defaults or just do the measurements find the best location then run ARC again for the rest of the system? And prior to running ARC just note down the original settings for the main volume level and go from there.

So if I find the best location for the sub I really to need to redo ARC? It doesn't save my results for the sub position separately and combine with an already saved ARC cal?

No, you don't need to reset the D2v to factory defaults before running Quick Measure. Once you find the best location for your sub, you can then bring out your SPL Meter and adjust your LF to read 75 db via SetUp > Level Calibration > Test Level. Make sure you set Noise Sequence to Manual. You should hear sound coming from your LF. Adjust the Test Level until your SPL Meter shows 75 db. Next, scroll down to your sub. Make sure the trim is 0.0. Now, using the volume knob on your sub, adjust the volume on your sub until the SPL Meter reads 75 db or roughly close to 75 db. It doesn't have to be exact. Just get it close and ARC will take it from there. This should be done from the primary LP. Once you have completed that process, now you can run ARC. I hope this helps and good luck to you.
post #31408 of 43014 Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

The reason you need to do a new load or reload of ARC after a quick measure is because the processor is set to default for the quick measure so that the measurements are done with no correction. Settings are not restored after the quick measure.
post #31409 of 43014 Old 11-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Liked: 15
Thanks guys. I did what you suggested as I did think that was the way to do it before reading your post but good to know I did it right. I was restricted in the sub position due to room constraints and cable lengths so here are the graphs with new sub position.

What are your thoughts on the sub? It's flatter b/w 20hz-100hz (not perfect) compared to my last graph.
LL
LL
LL
post #31410 of 43014 Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

Thanks guys. I did what you suggested as I did think that was the way to do it before reading your post but good to know I did it right. I was restricted in the sub position due to room constraints and cable lengths so here are the graphs with new sub position.

What are your thoughts on the sub? It's flatter b/w 20hz-100hz (not perfect) compared to my last graph.

You are fine on the sub now. The remaining wiggles are ignorable.

It also looks to me like your treble Measurements are reliable up 10 KHz if you'd like to experiment with that extra octave of correction. Raise Max EQ Frequency from the default 5KHz to 10KHz, re-Calculate, and if you like how the results look, re-Upload. (No need to re-Measure.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page