Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 114 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3391 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
DrJRapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuart West, Florida
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyrightlow View Post

Well, I've decided to dump the AVM50 and its matching amp, aka, the doorstops.

Sorry to see you go! With a little more persistance in time you would feel differently. I went through the problems you are experiencing, and often felt the same as you do. It took awhile, HOWEVER, now that I have everthing working as it should you couldn't get me to part with mt D2 for ANYTHING. I'm even considering a 2d D2 or AVM50!

Jerry Rappaport
DrJRapp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3392 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

I think the problem is the Pearl, not the Anthem.

I've been reading alot about that, and was able to also try the DVDO VP50 with the Pearl. With both a HD-DVD player and the Panny BD player, there was also some tearing while outputting 1080p24 from the VP50. The exact same tearing we get with the Anthem D2...

What I think is that the Pearl is converting every video signal (be it i or p, 24,48,50,60...) to 1080p60, and then causing this tearing...

With BOTH the VP50 and the D2, there is tearing when sending 1080p24 to the Pearl. So if the VP50 is doing the exact same thing, it really seems to be a Pearl problem...

And when using the Ruby with the D2 at 1080p48 over the DVI connection, there is no tearing at all...

Greetings,

Actually the Pearl is converting the 1080p/24 signal to 96hz which is still a multiple of 24. Nick feels that trying a 1080p/48 hz signal will decrease the problem. My concern is right now is not so much trying that but updating my current software to 1.11a.

Has the 1080i problem been resolved with this version?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #3393 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

Actually the Pearl is converting the 1080p/24 signal to 96hz which is still a multiple of 24. Nick feels that trying a 1080p/48 hz signal will decrease the problem. My concern is right now is not so much trying that but updating my current software to 1.11a.

Has the 1080i problem been resolved with this version?

Regards,

Ralph,
We have no reason to believe the 1080i problem is resolved yet. My understanding is that 1.11a is simply a somewhat more robust version of the installer for 1.11.

If you don't have a pressing need for 1.11 yet, I'd hold off yet. There are other folks here, I think, who already have V1.11 and a Pearl and can try /48Hz into the Pearl and report back.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #3394 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LEVESQUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Actually the Pearl is converting the 1080p/24 signal to 96hz which is still a multiple of 24.

No one was ever able to confirm that. That's what people assume it's doing. If it was confirmed somewhere, I didn't see it.

And why does the DVDO VP50 is having the exact same "problem" then?
LEVESQUE is offline  
post #3395 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Member
 
vcs_wharvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

A quick question and change of subject from some of the drama here.

Even with the 1080i bug I love this piece. I love this piece!!!

Anyway, I received my Oppo 970HD and everything is great, but I am having problems listening to 96khz 5.1 channel DVD Audio content via HDMI thru the AVM50. Are there any settings I should be aware of? DVD audio will work for stereo dvd audio but for some reason it will not work for 5.1.

I have the Oppo set to output RAW audio information. Anything else?

Thanks!!!

Wayne
vcs_wharvey is offline  
post #3396 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
abc999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sure, I had issues upgrading the firmware but this is a minor issue caused by the USB to RS232 cable. Other than that I am a very happy AVM50 owner. The picture quality with the gennum chip is just spectacular. When I see the setup of some of my friends, I just don't comment about their picture quality because I will sound very biased to my system.

To: Buyrightnow

I really don't believe that the AVM50 is the ONLY problem with your system. A little more patience will work wonders.
abc999 is offline  
post #3397 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Ralph,
We have no reason to believe the 1080i problem is resolved yet. My understanding is that 1.11a is simply a somewhat more robust version of the installer for 1.11.

If you don't have a pressing need for 1.11 yet, I'd hold off yet. There are other folks here, I think, who already have V1.11 and a Pearl and can try /48Hz into the Pearl and report back.
--Bob

Greetings,

Bob, I have the Pearl and and am running software 1.07d which is a beta and became 1.10. I will try and input the custome rez and see what happens.

Lev, I have no answer for you at this point regarding why this also happens with the VP50 as well.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #3398 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs_wharvey View Post

Hey everyone,

A quick question and change of subject from some of the drama here.

Even with the 1080i bug I love this piece. I love this piece!!!

Anyway, I received my Oppo 970HD and everything is great, but I am having problems listening to 96khz 5.1 channel DVD Audio content via HDMI thru the AVM50. Are there any settings I should be aware of? DVD audio will work for stereo dvd audio but for some reason it will not work for 5.1.

I have the Oppo set to output RAW audio information. Anything else?

Thanks!!!

Wayne

I believe the 970 has to be set to 720p or 1080i resolutions to properly pass DVD Audio/SACD content. Something to do with bandwidth according to the guys at OPPO.
Somewhat of a hassle but you get use to it

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #3399 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs_wharvey View Post

Hey everyone,

A quick question and change of subject from some of the drama here.

Even with the 1080i bug I love this piece. I love this piece!!!

Anyway, I received my Oppo 970HD and everything is great, but I am having problems listening to 96khz 5.1 channel DVD Audio content via HDMI thru the AVM50. Are there any settings I should be aware of? DVD audio will work for stereo dvd audio but for some reason it will not work for 5.1.

I have the Oppo set to output RAW audio information. Anything else?

Thanks!!!

Wayne

HDMI specs only allow audio bandwidth as a certain percentage of the currently selected video bandwidth. So if you are trying to output multi-channel, high res PCM over HDMI you need to also raise the video resolution. Just set your video output from the Oppo to HDMI 1080i (or 720p) while listening to DVD-Audio or SACD over HDMI and you should be fine. If you try to do the same at HDMI 480i you will be limited to 2 channels of audio.

Again, this is just the way HDMI works. It is not an error in either the Oppo or the Anthem. It would, I suppose, be better if the Oppo got you to 1080i automatically in such cases, or at least gave you a better idea of why it was limiting you.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #3400 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Member
 
vcs_wharvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DC and Bob,

That makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try and will let you know how it goes!

Wayne
vcs_wharvey is offline  
post #3401 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:19 PM
gdc
Senior Member
 
gdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs_wharvey View Post

Hey everyone,

A quick question and change of subject from some of the drama here.

Even with the 1080i bug I love this piece. I love this piece!!!

Anyway, I received my Oppo 970HD and everything is great, but I am having problems listening to 96khz 5.1 channel DVD Audio content via HDMI thru the AVM50. Are there any settings I should be aware of? DVD audio will work for stereo dvd audio but for some reason it will not work for 5.1.

I have the Oppo set to output RAW audio information. Anything else?

Thanks!!!

Wayne

I believe the Oppo must be set for 720p or 1080i only when listening to multichannel audio. This is a peculiarity of the way audio shares the bandwidth with video through HDMI.

*Edit - OK, so everyone answered this already. This would be a nice feature to ask if Oppo can implement (detecting DVD-A or SACD and auto-switching to 720/1080).

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
gdc is offline  
post #3402 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

Bob, I have the Pearl and and am running software 1.07d which is a beta and became 1.10. I will try and input the custome rez and see what happens.

Lev, I have no answer for you at this point regarding why this also happens with the VP50 as well.


Regards,

Ralph,
I'll be very interested to see what you come up with.
My Pearl doesn't seem to like anything 1080p accept 60hz.
Any other frequency gets me judder

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #3403 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Ralph,
I'll be very interested to see what you come up with.
My Pearl doesn't seem to like anything 1080p accept 60hz.
Any other frequency gets me judder

dc

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH ---

I'm here at CES and Sony is my PRIMARY TARGET to
GET INFO FROM and COMPLAIN TO about the Ruby
and Pearl - for whatever that is good for!

I'll let you know if I get any answers that are helpful.
drhankz is offline  
post #3404 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Member
 
ajeruns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to let everyone know that for the past week, my AVM 50 has been receiving 1080i signals from my SA 8300 HD DVR with no problems. Currently it is doing this via component cables. I will try it tomorrow via HDMI. One thing I did notice though was when I had the problem with 1080i the Anthem displayed that all signals were "CP" which I believe stands for copy protected, but now that it is passing 1080i, all channels are displayed as "NP" which I assume stands for not protected.
ajeruns is offline  
post #3405 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeruns View Post

Just wanted to let everyone know that for the past week, my AVM 50 has been receiving 1080i signals from my SA 8300 HD DVR with no problems. Currently it is doing this via component cables. I will try it tomorrow via HDMI. One thing I did notice though was when I had the problem with 1080i the Anthem displayed that all signals were "CP" which I believe stands for copy protected, but now that it is passing 1080i, all channels are displayed as "NP" which I assume stands for not protected.

The Component video signals are not copy protected, so "NP" showing in the video input status would be correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Have you had any further thoughts on just what it is you did to get the 1080i working again? It would be great if we could figure out a workaround for other folks while Anthem is working on the real fix.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #3406 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Member
 
ajeruns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't do anything. I pretty much decided to wait until Anthem corrected the problem and have been watching 1080i programs via HDMI running from cable box straight to TV. I've been watching SDTV via component from cable box to Anthem. One day I forgot to uncheck the1080i setting in the SA 8300 while watching SDTV through the Anthem and changed channel to a 1080i station and it worked.
ajeruns is offline  
post #3407 of 42969 Old 01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
KCWolfPck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Signature link updated with pictures of my new Anthem AVM-50. I'm loving it. Da-da--da--da--da.......Dominios.
KCWolfPck is offline  
post #3408 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Member
 
sfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you read older posts from me to this thread, you'll see I noted the Pearl works fine (*) when driven by an HTPC at 23.976hz. No 3:2 judder with film content, no tearing or other artifacts. Also, I have experimented with different 24p timings with the D2 (which I have posted in this thread), when combined with the Toshiba HD-A1, and have been able to improve the results -- I can get about an hour into some movie content before the stuttering problem manifests.

The timing values for 1080p24 builtin to the Anthem are definitately wrong -- it's 24.000hz (instead of 23.976). Note there are people who have posted in the Video processors forum that they've had success driving the Pearl at 24p (23.976) using other scaler solutions.

Nick at Anthem sent me a new live settings editor with a new 48p template (actually, the correct 47.952hz). I will try that this week with the Pearl. Note the pearl display info erroneously reports 48p inputs as 50p (this may just be cosmetic).

(*) I have noticed the pearl does occasionally render the last ~20 vertical lines or so with some anomolies ONLY when at 24p. It's like the lines are shifted a couple of pixels to the left or delayed from the rest of the image. This happens rarely during movie content and seems related to the type of content being input (one particular test pattern causes this to ALWAYS be visible).



Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

I think the problem is the Pearl, not the Anthem.

I've been reading alot about that, and was able to also try the DVDO VP50 with the Pearl. With both a HD-DVD player and the Panny BD player, there was also some tearing while outputting 1080p24 from the VP50. The exact same tearing we get with the Anthem D2...

What I think is that the Pearl is converting every video signal (be it i or p, 24,48,50,60...) to 1080p60, and then causing this tearing...

With BOTH the VP50 and the D2, there is tearing when sending 1080p24 to the Pearl. So if the VP50 is doing the exact same thing, it really seems to be a Pearl problem...

And when using the Ruby with the D2 at 1080p48 over the DVI connection, there is no tearing at all...

sfield is offline  
post #3409 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfield View Post

If you read older posts from me to this thread, you'll see I noted the Pearl works fine (*) when driven by an HTPC at 23.976hz. No 3:2 judder with film content, no tearing or other artifacts. Also, I have experimented with different 24p timings with the D2 (which I have posted in this thread), when combined with the Toshiba HD-A1, and have been able to improve the results -- I can get about an hour into some movie content before the stuttering problem manifests.

The timing values for 1080p24 builtin to the Anthem are definitately wrong -- it's 24.000hz (instead of 23.976). Note there are people who have posted in the Video processors forum that they've had success driving the Pearl at 24p (23.976) using other scaler solutions.

Nick at Anthem sent me a new live settings editor with a new 48p template (actually, the correct 47.952hz). I will try that this week with the Pearl. Note the pearl display info erroneously reports 48p inputs as 50p (this may just be cosmetic).

(*) I have noticed the pearl does occasionally render the last ~20 vertical lines or so with some anomolies ONLY when at 24p. It's like the lines are shifted a couple of pixels to the left or delayed from the rest of the image. This happens rarely during movie content and seems related to the type of content being input (one particular test pattern causes this to ALWAYS be visible).

Greetings,

Thanks sfield. Nick sent me the same LVSE. I will try it and report back.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #3410 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Greetings,

I was able to load the 1080p/48 custom rez into the Anthem. I then selected "custom" under video output although there was no way to verify that 1080p/48 was actually the rez being output. Sfield points out that the Pearl reports 1080p/48 as 1080p/50 which is what was indicated after I selected custom. The Anthem's info menu shows unknown (or something similar) under the video output.

At any rate, playback was better using this setting but not perfect. The judder was not as pronounced and the intervals between when it did it were longer. Nick did indicate to me that this would probably be the case.

Until there is a "resolution" I am certainly content with sending 1080p/60 as I really see no discernible difference in the quality of the image.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #3411 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Nevr2Big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfield View Post

If you read older posts from me to this thread, you'll see I noted the Pearl works fine (*) when driven by an HTPC at 23.976hz. No 3:2 judder with film content, no tearing or other artifacts. Also, I have experimented with different 24p timings with the D2 (which I have posted in this thread), when combined with the Toshiba HD-A1, and have been able to improve the results -- I can get about an hour into some movie content before the stuttering problem manifests.

The timing values for 1080p24 builtin to the Anthem are definitately wrong -- it's 24.000hz (instead of 23.976). Note there are people who have posted in the Video processors forum that they've had success driving the Pearl at 24p (23.976) using other scaler solutions.

Nick at Anthem sent me a new live settings editor with a new 48p template (actually, the correct 47.952hz). I will try that this week with the Pearl. Note the pearl display info erroneously reports 48p inputs as 50p (this may just be cosmetic).

(*) I have noticed the pearl does occasionally render the last ~20 vertical lines or so with some anomolies ONLY when at 24p. It's like the lines are shifted a couple of pixels to the left or delayed from the rest of the image. This happens rarely during movie content and seems related to the type of content being input (one particular test pattern causes this to ALWAYS be visible).


Whoa! I'm in line to purchase the new JVC DLA proj which accepts 1080p24 and was ready to pull the trigger on a D2 or AVM50 unit this week. I had hoped to feed the proj with 1080p/24 output from Blu-ray player passing thru D2, and have D2/AVM50 deinterlacing/process other streams and send a 1080p/24 signal to the JVC as well. As I will be using the Anthem unit for more video than pure audio applications, the spectre of having problems on the video end described above are giving me pause.

If the stuttering and line anomalies are not evident when feeding a Pearl via alternate 1080p/24 source, this would more likely implicate the Anthem unit as the site of problem, no? Will newly shipping Anthem units have latest software versions, and has this issue been fixed?

As an aside, there is a new Gennum chip being released this year - will the D2 be similarly upgraded to include it (new production units)? Is there any way to upgrade the older chip (short of buying a new D2!)?

Consume mass quantities
Nevr2Big is offline  
post #3412 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Member
 
vcs_wharvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs_wharvey View Post

DC and Bob,

That makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try and will let you know how it goes!

Wayne

Yup - that was it. Thanks!
vcs_wharvey is offline  
post #3413 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LEVESQUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2Big View Post

If the stuttering and line anomalies are not evident when feeding a Pearl via alternate 1080p/24 source, this would more likely implicate the Anthem unit as the site of problem, no?

The DVDO VP50 is having the same "problem" wiith the Pearl: tearing at 1080p24, but ok at 1080p48, just like the D2.

If it's really a "problem", Anthem will fix it. They just came back from the Holidays and are now working hard on the latest problems.
LEVESQUE is offline  
post #3414 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
nine ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH ---

I'm here at CES and Sony is my PRIMARY TARGET to
GET INFO FROM and COMPLAIN TO about the Ruby
and Pearl - for whatever that is good for!

I'll let you know if I get any answers that are helpful.


drhankz............... Thank you........for what its worth you are doing something noble that will not go unrewarded.......

Peter
nine ball is offline  
post #3415 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Member
 
buyrightlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc999 View Post

Sure, I had issues upgrading the firmware but this is a minor issue caused by the USB to RS232 cable. Other than that I am a very happy AVM50 owner. The picture quality with the gennum chip is just spectacular. When I see the setup of some of my friends, I just don't comment about their picture quality because I will sound very biased to my system.

To: Buyrightnow

I really don't believe that the AVM50 is the ONLY problem with your system. A little more patience will work wonders.


OK, I'm trying to be calm, I have ordered a new hdmi/dvi cable that will eliminate my adapter and a signal repeater from monoprice. It does turn out that my audioquest cable is 15', which is when they start to lose signal. My dealer has another AVM50 in stock. If he switches that out for my dead unit, dead after reinstalling downloaded software, I will hook it up one more time when the new cable and signal booster arrive and see if that is the problem. I would like this to work. If not, I will probably wait 6-12 months for more product choices to hit the market.
I got the HDMI Active Equalizer Extender Repeater - Extend Up to 100FT. Hopefully that was the right choice.
buyrightlow is offline  
post #3416 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyrightlow View Post

It does turn out that my audioquest cable is 15', which is when they start to lose signal.

All I know is I run 30 ft. at 1080p from my D2 to my Ceiling mounted
Sony Ruby Projector with ABSOLUTELY no Problems.

15 ft. doesn't sound like any deal-breaking length to me.
drhankz is offline  
post #3417 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hi All - I promised to report as best I could on Sony Projector
news which some posters on this thread have asked.

CES NEWS REPORT

I was very disappointed by the Sony Booth and Team
at CES. There was not a Single Projector of any kind.
Their Comment was -- CES is the WRONG SHOW for Projectors.

Let me just say any other projector vendor was there
with 100% Attendance. Sony Projectors was the ONLY
No-Show.

They did say a couple of positive things.

1) They would be at the CEDIA Show 9/4-9/07, Denver, CO.

2) They will be announcing a NEW Projector at that show
called DIAMOND.

3) I was given the name of "THE MAN" when it comes to
Ruby and Pearl Knowledge - he is Rob McDonough. He was
at the show but I could not find him and no one in the SONY
Booth would help me find he. All they would tell me is what
he looked like. If anyone knows how to contact him - please
send me a PM.
drhankz is offline  
post #3418 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Nathan_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The lost underwater city of Atlanta.
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The International Consumer Electronics Show is the "wrong show" for home HD projectors? Way to dodge the bullet, Sony. Are they going to introduce the PS4 at the International Home Builders Expo 2008?


Edit: I'd love to meet you folks. If you're attending CES, please feel free to stop by my company's booth on Wednesday or Thursday and make my day with a little HT chat. I'll be working RBRC's booth (for my first time, yay!) at South 4 #36609-- just ask for Nathan. While we don't focus at all on home theater, I'd love to shoot the bull about HT or recycling rechargeable batteries (if you're so inclined).

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
Nathan_R is offline  
post #3419 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

The International Consumer Electronics Show is the "wrong show" for home HD projectors? Way to dodge the bullet, Sony. Are they going to introduce the PS4 at the International Home Builders Expo 2008?

GOOD ANSWERS [GRIN]!
drhankz is offline  
post #3420 of 42969 Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Maybe the BIGGEST NEWS from CES

LG Announced a Combo Player for HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

I missed the LG booth today but I will go back tomorrow
for sure [GRIN]!

Anthem is ALSO on my Agenda for Tuesday!
drhankz is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off