post #3481 of 43121 Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I'd be pretty surprised if they can add those codecs by firmware alone.

In any event it's not really important to have those in the pre/pro. The important thing is that they are in the PLAYERS.
--Bob

GO TO BED BOB - you are up TOO LATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had issues with the Toshiba A1 only on certain HDMI ports? I got my "D2" and plugged in my Samsung BR, Oppo 970 and the Toshiba. Everything else worked fine. Toshiba was a no show. It showed the "logo" and setup screen, but would fail the handshake when any disk was played. I tried a couple of cables and many settings, but no joy. Moved it from HDMI2 to HDMI4, and it sync'd right up (though it does blue screen for a while for the final handshake). I have the 1.11 firmware I believe. I will do some more testing tonight, to make sure all the other devices work in HDMI2, but I was curious if anyone else had seen behavior like this. Hopefully it's not a bad port out of the box (I had serious withdrawl for the ~4 weeks without it). I was VERY careful inserting cables (they even have a warning that ships with it now).
post #3483 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 AM

Hi:

I just received my Anthem AMV 50 pre/pro and MCA 50 Amp. My problem is that I am unable to pass the video signal from Dish Networks HD DVR through the AMV 50 to my Pioneer Elite Pro-HD-1.

My connections are;

Dish HD DVR to AMV50 - Component to Component 1; Analog audio to Sat Analog Audio.

AMV50 to TV - HDMI

Symptoms - I am able to go through the set-up menu so the AMV50 is passing data to the TV. On the menu I set the source for SAT1 to component1 and set up the audio for SAT1 to Analog-??? (DSP, I think). No video signal with great audio. I then went to the TV OUT submenu and set the TV res to the 1080P, still no signal. I then disconnected the componenet video cable from the AMV50 and connected directly to theTV, video signal is excellent.

I also broughtup my settings on the Dish DVR. The TV output settings are
Analog ??? -None (Choices are HRC, IRC, etc.)
Resolution - 1080i
format - 14:9

I seriously need help. I called Anthem tech support and left a message.
post #3484 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc999 View Post

Just thinking about the future, now that Denon, Onkyo and Sherwood are showing receivers with Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD. Will there be an upgrade path (hopefully firmware) for the AVM50 or the D2?

This is more a marketing BS. The reality is that HDMI 1.3 doesn't allow the players to send Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD bitstream via HDMI when the disk is encoded in advance mode. The entire disks using these codecs are encoded in advanced mode and therefore the decoding must be performed in the player.
post #3485 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Following up on my above message. Anthem Tech support thinks its the 1080i bug. I will set up my Dish DVR to output at 720p and see what happens.
post #3486 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine ball View Post

Finally, a subject that is for the most part in my area of interest. I am a very very slow typist, the antithesis of what you would expect from the CEO of a software company but that often affects written responses so ...........if it looks like it would be easier I just might pm or email you with contact info so that it will be less painful and I can easily tap into the best tech resources on the continent!

To start with everything you want to do is possible and depending on your existing equipment stack and network it may be possible with minimum cost. For example Every device in my HT is addressable both within my home network and from a hotel room in Sydney Australia! It is secure, reliable and stable. There are some easy routes to follow if you already have an XBOX 360 and or a wired or wireless internal home network in place. The quality of 'web surfing ' experience will depend heavily on both your monitor/projector and your graphics card in your PC. Microsoft has in fact just made some announcements at the CES on using VISTA to pretty well make the setup and configuration close to something a houseplant can manage...... BUT and in this business its always a but it depends heavily on your available equipment inventory.

Soooooo do you have an XBOX 360? what PC graphics card? either wired or wireless network in place? I have a number of devices so I have a gigabit switch in the rack that brings everything together but you may not need that.

Lets start there..... at a certain point after we have worked out the basic most effective architecture for your equipment and needs there is an aspect of configuration to your monitor from the graphics adapter over DVI that I will ask Bob Pariseau or Levesque to talk you through as the timing and scaling is an important element to the final product that they are more adept at than me.

So Equipment???????

Peter

I spoke with Anthem tech support, Nick, a really good guy. He indicated that the AVM50 will recognize a pc as just another video source and will go to work from there. He also indicated that Anthem will, as a result of my call, amend their manual to show that you can hook up a pc to their unit, just as simply as you can hook up a dvd player. I thought that was a big omission. After all, your projector/tv is just another monitor from the pc's perspective, and now I know it's just another video source from the AVM's perspective. This time with the result that AVM will allow one to surf the internet, help control your music, pictures and video, all sitting on the pc with unlimited data storage. Wow, how's that for the AVM being the center of your media hub.

Well, I've now become a "one page view" expert. It's beginning to apppear that I have 2 basic routes to go. One, wirelessly connect my exisiting Gateway 815GM media center computer, located in another room, that has a s video out connection, ( I believe the AVM50 will accept S video as a source, albeit not verified) the Aver Media TV tuner Philips 1236 MK3 with mpeg video capture, RealTech HD Audio, Radeon x300 Series card and a linksys G wireless broadband 2.4 ghz router already installed, or purchase any computer with windows media center and buy one of the new hdmi video adapter cards that have just come out for approx. $200 and plug and play it with full hdmi from the computer to the AVM50, to my dvi connection on my 720p rgb happy projector. This will allow me to view and hear, via my broadband internet connection, an endless supply of the highest quality digital audio and video content available for download. Coupling the avm with the pc, creates an audio/ video juke box monster extraordinaire!

I understand that with the new hdmi cards I will get better resolution than the s video out I now have. I'm thinking that the better resolution and lack of wireless strongly points to a separate PC. However, on the cost side, a decent new pc will cost approx $550, plus the card. In both cases I have to spring for a wireless keyboard and mouse, so that's a wash financially. I'm not sure how to set up the wireless connection for the Gateway, i.e., what more I have to buy and the cost, or if I'm missing something.
This is very exciting, to be able to surf the internet, download content, organize pictures, etc. and operate all through Anthem, achieving spectacular a/v quality. Worse case, all for less than $900. Anthem should consider the next upgrade to include this capability built into the AVM50/Statement. They could do it for less than buying this capability separately and it would take the Anthem into being the true center of the home media experience. I would think it wouldn't take much to marry this together at Anthem.

Looking forward to your thoughts and those of the Board. I may be getting overly excited, but this really opened up a new frontier for me! I had no idea you could buy a hdmi video adapter card or if it would work with the AVM50.
post #3487 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 10:26 AM

FYI, here's the tech spec on the hdmi video card:

Overview

Step-up to serious 3D performance and a high-definition image quality with the VisionTek® Radeon® X1600 Pro 256 MB PCI-E® HDMI Graphics Card. Avivo video and HDMI (audio and video mixing) technology capable of transferring up to 24 bits of data at 165 mega pixels per second, ensures today's video and audio standards' requirements, 1080i resolution for HDTVs and state-of-the-art digital audio formats such as DVD-Audio. It supports HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) hardware decoding for HDTV, Blu-ray and HD-DVD applications for 1080i video quality. The Radeon® X1600 is CrossFire Ready to deliver multi-GPU gaming performance. High Dynamic Range features visual effects, and enhances realism with adaptive anti-aliasing and lightening fast performance. HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) standard incorporates audio and video into a single connector on the graphics card to synchronize the audio and video signals to HDMI digital TV with the bundled HMDI cable.

Manufacturer Part# : VX1600PRO256HD
Dell Part# : A0741954
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlights

Supports HDMI Signal Mixing for Audio and Video Simultaneously output with HDCP hardware decoding
CrossFire Ready to deliver gaming experience with multi-GPU power that works with all games
Supports DirectX® Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0 optimizations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

__USERID__
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A0741954
Customer Product Reviews Review This Product

accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ReviewsSubmit.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A0741954

Tech Specs

Features Features
256-Bit ring bus, 12-pixel shader engines, CrossFire ready, Ultra threaded core, HDCP on board Includes HMDI Cable,HDMI to DVI-D Adapter / HDMI to HDMI/Component HDTV Cables / SPDIF Adapter ATI CrossFire Technology
Analog Video Format Device Type
Component video Graphics adapter
Device Type Digital Video Standard
Graphics Card Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
Enclosure Type Interface Type
Plug-in card PCI Express x16
Interface Type Port(s) Total ( Free ) / Connector Type
PCI-E® DVI-D / VGA / HDMI / TV-Out / HDTV Connectors
Slot(s) Required Software included
16X PCI-E® Drivers & Utilities
Technology Video Output
DDR II SDRAM 2048 x 1536
Graphics Processor / Vendor Graphics Processor / Vendor
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro Radeon® X1600 Pro
Max Resolution (external) Max Resolution (external)
2048 x 1536 2048x1536 Pixels
Supported Display Graphics Video Memory Installed ( Max )
VGA (640x480), XGA (1024x768), SVGA (800x600), SXGA (1280x1024), UXGA (1600x1200), HDTV (1920x1080), UXGAW (1900x1200), QXGA (2048x1536), 1152x864, 1920x1200, 1920x1440 256 MB
Video Memory Installed ( Max ) API Supported
256 MB - DDR II SDRAM Shader Model 3.0, OpenGL® 2.0
Video Compression Standards Compatibility
MPEG-2, MPEG-4 PC
Product Description Cables Included
VisionTek Radeon X1600 PRO - graphics adapter - Radeon X1600 Pro - 256 MB 1 x HDMI-DVI cable ¦ 1 x HDMI cable ¦ 1 x HDTV cable
Interfaces Compatible Slots
1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI ( with adapter ) ¦ 1 x HDMI ¦ 1 x HDTV output ( on supplied cable ) ¦ 1 x TV-out ( on supplied cable ) 1 x PCI Express x16
TV Interface Video Memory Installed
HDTV out 256 MB
post #3488 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

buyrightlow

You should see the new NVidia 8800 GTX... That's what I'm using in my HTPC. It's the first true DirectX 10 card.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3489 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

buyrightlow

You should see the new NVidia 8800 GTX... That's what I'm using in my HTPC. It's the first true DirectX 10 card.

I took a quick look at the specs, it appears to only have dvi, not hdmi out. How does it do audio?
post #3490 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrykeck View Post

Following up on my above message. Anthem Tech support thinks its the 1080i bug. I will set up my Dish DVR to output at 720p and see what happens.

Barry,
Also be sure to check that the Anthem's Setup / Source Select for the SAT1 input is set to have Component in the Scaler Input line AS WELL AS in the Component Input line. Otherwise no signal goes to the video scaler for the Main path and thus nothing to the TV on the Main output.

There are two separate lines here in this Setup menu so that you can specify one input (HDMI1 perhaps) for the Main path through the scaler while also setting a second input (Component1) to be "passed through" to the Zone 2 output.

That said, it is also quite possible that you've been bitten by the 1080i bug. I do hope Anthem gets the fix out on that one soon.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #3491 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyrightlow View Post

Wow, how's that for the AVM being the center of your media hub.

This will allow me to view and hear, via my broadband internet connection, an endless supply of the highest quality digital audio and video content available for download. Coupling the avm with the pc, creates an audio/ video juke box monster extraordinaire!

Looking forward to your thoughts and those of the Board. I may be getting overly excited, but this really opened up a new frontier for me! I had no idea you could buy a hdmi video adapter card or if it would work with the AVM50.

Actually you are peering through the opening to pandoras box!!!! If you keep heading down this path you inevitably will have to say goodbye to the wife and kids.

Stuff to consider............The platform that is most likely to bring the application layer into a single consolidated platform that the Anthem can deliver will be Vista so any hardware decisions should be Vista Ultimate capable. The graphics engine you have described sounds ideal. I have my media center buy all my itunes 'stuff'and then distribute it to the appropriate device for the occasion. One single library that also accomodates the sony dvp777es carosel for sacd/hdcd music integration into the library. The escient box that manages the library on my 10ft screen is prettier than most other internet freebie software and it does internet radio (the quality and range of material is almost beyond belief as well as sd DVD's.
I am NOT happy as yet with the 1080i through component from the HP z558 entertainment center with respect to desktop surfing as I was unable to get a prohibitively expensive hdmi to dvi cable to work through the D2. In fairness to Anthem I have not tried it since upgrading successfully to 1.1 so the upgrade MAY have fixed the connection, I just haven't tried it yet.

I have wired and wireless connectivity to everything. I have found the linksys SRX 400 to be the best performer for wireless and Cisco Gigabit 'stuff' for the CAT 5 broadband. Vista ultimate on one of my laptops is opening a ton of possibilities as I am about to set up an HD video conferencing capability from home to the office.

When I pause a movie with the Harmony remote the following suite of actions takes place without a single programmed macro.... The Fireplace comes on......this placates my wife, The cieling fan comes on.....special insulated ballast to prevent any interference....but it keeps the air circulating... the lights come slowly up down the corridor back into the main part of the house and in the pantry for my root beer and popcorn.....meanwhile the D2 switches to a preselected internet station for quiet mood music to keep my wife reasonably patient while I micro the popcorn. while the music is playing a preseleted slide show of my Canon photorraphs(I use thumbs plus) provides an additional distraction till i get back to the theater with food and drink in hand. When I hit the play botton on the Harmony the Fan shuts off, fireplace shuts off, lights in the house and theater go down slowly to off and the movie picks up where we left off. I am in the process of trying to add a 22 terabyte Raid 5 NAS for managed copy for my SD movie library but I am not happy with the steps to get the content in a usable state without the nightmare of utilities that we are forced to contemplate to deliver the streams to the D2. All of this, and I mean ALL is visible on the vista desktop including the projector, phone and security system for the house.
So as I said at the outset if you continue down this path get ready to give up part of your life! You are also right....all of this is made possible without diluting the quality of the experience because of the Anthem device. AAaaand I still don't think I have scratched the surface!

Peter
post #3492 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Barry,
Also be sure to check that the Anthem's Setup / Source Select for the SAT1 input is set to have Component in the Scaler Input line AS WELL AS in the Component Input line. Otherwise no signal goes to the video scaler for the Main path and thus nothing to the TV on the Main output.

There are two separate lines here in this Setup menu so that you can specify one input (HDMI1 perhaps) for the Main path through the scaler while also setting a second input (Component1) to be "passed through" to the Zone 2 output.

That said, it is also quite possible that you've been bitten by the 1080i bug. I do hope Anthem gets the fix out on that one soon.
--Bob

Thanks Bob:

I have the scaler set to Component 1, so when I went home I set the Dish Networks HD DVR to output 720p instead of1080i and presto I have a picture. All SD programs had such a terrible pulse to them that I couldn't watch them ( any advertising text on a program or commercial would pulse bigger and smaller). I changed the DVR output to 480i and the pulsing wasn't as bad but SD programs looked like they had a dreamlike effect (like a soft lens on a camera) and all programs HD and SD have a sense of a slow motion effect. My dealer suggests changing the MVA50's TV output res to 1080i 30hz - I now have it set to 1080p 24hz. I'll try it, but I am afraid if the 1080i fix doesn't happen soon, I will have to return my purchase.
post #3493 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrykeck View Post

Thanks Bob:

I have the scaler set to Component 1, so when I went home I set the Dish Networks HD DVR to output 720p instead of1080i and presto I have a picture. All SD programs had such a terrible pulse to them that I couldn't watch them ( any advertising text on a program or commercial would pulse bigger and smaller). I changed the DVR output to 480i and the pulsing wasn't as bad but SD programs looked like they had a dreamlike effect (like a soft lens on a camera) and all programs HD and SD have a sense of a slow motion effect. My dealer suggests changing the MVA50's TV output res to 1080i 30hz - I now have it set to 1080p 24hz. I'll try it, but I am afraid if the 1080i fix doesn't happen soon, I will have to return my purchase.

Barry,
Yes it sounds like you have been hit with the 1080 bug. Be aware that for some people it also appears to be triggered by settings on the output side.

If your display will accept 720p input, try setting all source devices to 480i for SDTV (including standard DVDs) and 720p for HDTV, and also set your video output to 720p. This is just a workaround of course.

You will likely need to power cycle the Anthem after making these setup changes. Once the Anthem video board has been affected by this 1080 bug, apparently a power cycle (after changing source and/or display settings) is the only way to actually clear it and get things working properly again. And 1080 input from one device, if you have this bug, will also then screw up even NON-1080 input from other devices until you change settings and power cycle the Anthem.

Be sure to let Anthem tech support know what you are doing here. They are probably keeping a list of people who are willing to try potential bug fix versions of the software.
--Bob

post #3494 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So there's apparently still a type of HDMI confusion which causes the Anthem video circuit to go bonkers. And yes, a brief power cycle of the Anthem is the only way to fix it. However in my case it is so rare as to hardly be an issue. I've been assuming it was because I had not yet upgraded my video OUTPUT cable.

If you are getting it fairly repeatably using the Toshiba A2, then this may be something Anthem can finally track down and eliminate....

Are you only getting that from the Toshiba A2?
--Bob

Sounds similar to some of my problems. My issues are sometimes picture, rarely, and still sound.

To confuse things I have two replacement products in the mix, an XA2 & a BDP-HD1. After going to CES, and looking at the new LG HD-Blu multi, there always seem to be trade offs (CODECs, menus, etc.) so it's separate high qual players for now. Maybe the 59AVi will be retired after all.

I sure would like the anthem to have 3 buttons to do LBX, Anamorphic, and scaled to fit vertical. It would be a much smoother product.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #3495 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I spoke with Anthem tech support, Nick, a really good guy. He indicated that the AVM50 will recognize a pc as just another video source and will go to work from there. He also indicated that Anthem will, as a result of my call, amend their manual to show that you can hook up a pc to their unit, just as simply as you can hook up a dvd player.

I wished it worked that easily for me (it didn't which is why a 1080p switch after the Anthem to switch in two computers without going through the Anthem. Did a miracle occur in a late software rev?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #3496 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH ---

I'm here at CES and Sony is my PRIMARY TARGET to
GET INFO FROM and COMPLAIN TO about the Ruby
and Pearl - for whatever that is good for!

I'll let you know if I get any answers that are helpful.

In the huge pavilion Sony didn't even show there HT projectors, only the 4K projector on the big screen. What gives?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #3497 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2Big View Post

Whoa! I'm in line to purchase the new JVC DLA proj which accepts 1080p24 and was ready to pull the trigger on a D2 or AVM50 unit this week.

I can tell you that the non 1080/24 JVC HD2K (DVI) is rock solid at 60. I think it's a whole different animal than the Sony's so I would wait for a JVC test of the new projector (didn't see it at CE, model #?) and not be jaded by the Ruby/Pearl experience. The result may be identical in terms of issues, but it's comparing apples and oranges (or future yet to be tested with Anthem oranges).

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #3498 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post

Levesque - I have the option of upgrading my DV-79AVi to the BDP-HD1 but for now I have a PS3 doing my Blu-Ray duty.

Can you think of a reason why the BDP-HD1 would be worth the upgrade (costing $500-$1000) over my existing DV-79AVi+PS3?

My setup is similar = Statement D2, Sony Pearl PJ.

I can't think of any reason either, particularly happy with my 59AVi and after finally getting a BT remote for the PS3... but I did.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #3499 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

In the huge pavilion Sony didn't even show there HT projectors, only the 4K projector on the big screen. What gives?

If you read some of my earlier posts from the SHOW,
you will see ---

Their Cop-Out was - it was the wrong show.

They only show PJs at CEDIA.

Too bad every other PJ manufacturer did not know
that because 100% of them were there with live PJs.
post #3500 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

We had at least one poster here say that he'd gotten "press and hold" button functions working properly between the Harmony 880 Remote and the Anthem D2. These would be things like the "7" key which work differently if you press them than if you press-and-hold them for a few seconds.

I need details on how to get this to work.

Thanks!
--Bob

post #3501 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We had at least one poster here say that he'd gotten "press and hold" button functions working properly between the Harmony 880 Remote and the Anthem D2. These would be things like the "7" key which work differently if you press them than if you press-and-hold them for a few seconds.

I need details on how to get this to work.

Thanks!
--Bob

I don't use the HARMONY - I use a Crestron System.

On Crestron it is trivial. You just set the output duration for a HOLD Function.

I'm pretty sure Pronto has the same capability.
post #3502 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you read some of my earlier posts from the SHOW,
you will see ---

Their Cop-Out was - it was the wrong show.

I just caught up on the three pages since I left. Sorry I missed you. I was at the Sony pavilion about 30 mins before first day of general admission open and out of 15 people I asked nobody knew. Dopes.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #3503 of 43121 Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I don't use the HARMONY - I use a Crestron System.

On Crestron it is trivial. You just set the output duration for a HOLD Function.

I'm pretty sure Pronto has the same capability.

It doesn't work on the Aurora 950, 900 URC series which does have the capability.

How about some DIRECT button presses for aspect ratio changes???? Anthem??? Please.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #3504 of 43121 Old 01-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

In the settings the owner of the AV store told me to take off 4:2:2 and put on RGB.

It this correct?
post #3505 of 43121 Old 01-12-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I wished it worked that easily for me (it didn't which is why a 1080p switch after the Anthem to switch in two computers without going through the Anthem. Did a miracle occur in a late software rev?

Now you've got me worried, I wonder if others have had any problems with the Anthem recognizing the pc as a video source. I'd like to see that before I invest the time and money into setting up what would be a fantastic feature.
post #3506 of 43121 Old 01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Now you've got me worried, I wonder if others have had any problems with the Anthem recognizing the pc as a video source. I'd like to see that before I invest the time and money into setting up what would be a fantastic feature.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but as noted earlier I have the HP z558 Entertainment center (analogous to a media center pc) running 1080i over component to the D2 and then 1080P to the Ruby. Everything works well with my only complaint being that I think the timing for computer desktop graphics can be improved and I'm not sure how to do that. Also as noted earlier I could not get the DVI to HDMI cable to work at all under ver 1.0 (D2) so I switched over to Component. I haven't tried to retest the cable with ver 1.1 (D2).

Peter
post #3507 of 43121 Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I can tell you that the non 1080/24 JVC HD2K (DVI) is rock solid at 60. I think it's a whole different animal than the Sony's so I would wait for a JVC test of the new projector (didn't see it at CE, model #?) and not be jaded by the Ruby/Pearl experience. The result may be identical in terms of issues, but it's comparing apples and oranges (or future yet to be tested with Anthem oranges).

It was kinda there (off site at Ceasars). The model is JVD RS-1 (aka HD-1).

It is sounding more and more like this is a Sony problem rather than Anthem. Once the projector ships I am sure many will be trying to send it 1080p/24 so it should be evident where this problem lies. Hopefully it will be a sweet Anthem navel and not the poison Sony apple.

Consume mass quantities
post #3508 of 43121 Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by budeone View Post

In the settings the owner of the AV store told me to take off 4:2:2 and put on RGB.

It this correct?

It is better to use 4:2:2 but your display need to be compatible with that Data Format. The second best is 4:4:4. RGB should be set only if your display does not take neither 4:4:4 nor 4:2:2.
post #3509 of 43121 Old 01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

It is better to use 4:2:2 but your display need to be compatible with that Data Format. The second best is 4:4:4. RGB should be set only if your display does not take neither 4:4:4 nor 4:2:2.

"Standard" for HDMI to HDMI connections is YCbCr 4:4:4.

"Optional" and *POSSIBLY* superior for HDMI to HDMI is YCbCr 4:2:2. This can only be "better" if the devices at both ends will support greater than 8 bit samples (as the Anthem does).

YCbCr 4:2:2 comes in 3 different flavors -- 8 bits per sample, 10 bits per sample, or 12 bits per sample. This is typically selected automatically by the devices at either end of the cable -- they use the highest sample size they both support. YCbCr 4:4:4 always uses 8 bits per sample (at least until HDMI V1.3 connections arrive). YCbCr 4:2:2 supports the higher sample size because it only sends one color sample for each two luminance samples across each line.

"Standard" for HDMI to DVI connections or DVI to HDMI connections intended for home theater use is RGB. HDMI devices will typically also handle RGB for when they are connected to a DVI device, but RGB should only be used if YCbCr won't work -- as when either end is DVI.

"Standard" for HDMI to DVI connections or DVI to HDMI connections intended for use with typical computer graphics cards is Extended RGB. If the DVI side of your connection can be set to use just RGB (also called "Studio RGB"), then that's the one to use. Only use Extended RGB if the DVI side of your connection gives you no option to do otherwise. Typically any DVI connection with HDCP will either offer a setting for "set top box or DVD" vs. for "PC or computer", or will warn you that it is ONLY intended to be used for "set top box or DVD". The "set top box or DVD" setting is the one you want for Studio RGB.

Another way these are identified is Studio RGB means Black = 16. Extended RGB means Black = 0.
--Bob

post #3510 of 43121 Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 AM

I had to put a Gefen DVI detective between the HTPC and the Anthem D2, in order to get video output from the HTPC (via DVI). This solution has worked well for other people since then.

Quote:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page