post #36721 of 43388 Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post

am having a new problem with my DirecTV satellite box, (HR24) and my D2 processor, (v1.33 sw). The following error message appears when attempting to view HBO channels only,

Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program.

This message ONLY appears when I still have the satellite output connected to the D2 input (whether it is turned on or not). The HDMI connection works fine when going directly to the Panasonic HDTV, (TC-P54V10) and bypassing the D2.

I presently have the H24 component output cables directly connected to the TV so the D2 does not need to be turned on to watch TV, but I still get the error message UNTIL I disconnect the HDMI connection to the D2. Is this a problem related to hardware in the D2 or can it be resolved with a future software release?

I called Anthem Tech Support and they first told me to upgrade to v1.33 and it would fix the problem at which time I told the tech it has been that version sw since I bought it. He then advised me to dump the HDMI and go with component cables which I find dissapointing to say the least. I bought the Anthem D2 in the first place for the best sound and audio I could get.

I KNOW DirecTV is not going to write the code to accept the D2 and it doesn't sound like Anthem cares one way or the other. Does anyone have this issue with the D2V?

I posted this originally under the title above and posted over here after some sage advise.

You might want to try this

What might be happening is the HDCP (high definition content protection) in the tv is stopping you from displaying the picture.
HDCP is an annoying piece of technology that stops people from making perfect digital copies of programs, movies, etc.

What you need to do is go into the Direct TV setup and go to the audio output settings, once there change the audio output to PCM audio. You should get your picture back.

Direct tv may have updated something in their system that created the conflict changing it to PCM should fix this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36722 of 43388 Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Normally I use PLIIx but also THX Ultra2 when I feel like toning down a bright soundtrack (such as Terminator 2). I know the purists will balk but I would rather be kind to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCA350 View Post

I personally use PLIIx Movie to expand all 5/6.1 movies to my 7.1 setup.

Unfortunately PLIIx cannot be applied to DTS-ES 6.1 right now for some reason.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #36723 of 43388 Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I have component video and stereo RCA audio outputfrom my cable box(Moxi) to the D2v and then have HDMI output to my TV plasma. The audio is fine and the picture colors are fine....except that te video cuts out every 2-3 seconds. What am i doing wrong?

Does the audio drop out as well? My cable box had that problem when using HDMI but component was fine. I think the cable co. fixed it because the problem went away after a while.

- AVStefan
post #36724 of 43388 Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Also is that with 2.10 or 2.14a? Bob found a problem with analog video on the latter which was fixed in 2.14b.

- AVStefan
post #36725 of 43388 Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Does the audio drop out as well? My cable box had that problem when using HDMI but component was fine. I think the cable co. fixed it because the problem went away after a while.

I just amended my original post to add that if i switch the audio input to optical, the audio and video stutter together in sync. If audio input is via RCA analog, then no audio stuttering but assaid before, video stutters.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #36726 of 43388 Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Also is that with 2.10 or 2.14a? Bob found a problem with analog video on the latter which was fixed in 2.14b.

2.10a ... i had rolled back from 2.14a but its hdmi issues forced me to backtrack to the release version.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #36727 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tested all tree. And it seams to mé that thx ultra impraces the upper midranges, on the frontspeakers (thx EQ is off) Pro Logic Sound like it's only affekt the surroundspeakers - .
I Think that thx ultra creates a wider surroundstage, but at the same time it is a more diffuse Sound

Peter
Denmark
post #36728 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any update on the availability of the 3D upgrade for existing D2v owners?

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #36729 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Any update on the availability of the 3D upgrade for existing D2v owners?

I hope the delay doesn't mean there are problems with it.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #36730 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

I hope the delay doesn't mean there are problems with it.

I have no problem with mine 3D works fine.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #36731 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Hi All,
Been some time since I was around here (couple years). I know there are and have been plenty of conversations about these products, but I feel reluctant to search the 1000 plus pages.

Two questions:

Statement D2 - was the bug with the video processing chip that should a choppy image like it dropped frames when fed 1080p signals resolved?

Second, any rumors/news of new AV processor products coming?

Thanks

FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #36732 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quick question. I have a relatively full range center channel, but I need to simulate what would happen if I went to smaller center channel and crossed over at 80 or 100 to the right/left (I have no sub). Am I correct that as long as I have ARC on I can't force a full range speaker to be treated as a small center?
post #36733 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

A reminder for folks with the original AVM 50 or D2 who might be thinking about installing "test" V1.47f:

The best info I have is that V1.47f is not going to work on some older production runs of the AVM 50 or D2 hardware.

Look through the top vent slots of your unit with a flashlight. If you can see that the video board (the big board at the top, right under the slots) is colored red -- even if it is a replacement board, *OR* if you can see that your power supply does *NOT* have the big, toroidal (donut shaped) transformer, then, if either of those is true, your hardware is OK for V1.47f.

If your power supply HAS the donut, *AND* your video board is gray or green, then your unit *MIGHT* be OK for V1.47f, but there is no easy way for you to tell, so don't install V1.47f without first checking with Anthem tech support.
--Bob

I just performed the upgrade to 1.47f per Nick's suggestion in an earlier post. The DirecTV programming is fine now so, (knock on wood) the only issue I've found so far is a momemtary audio dropout when adjusting the bass or treble during playback which is no big deal. I knew about the upgrade, but was paranoid because my video board is green, not red. Thank's Nick! You as well a Bob are da' MEN!

"There's no such thing as an easy job, not if you do it right."

Mladen Sekulovich
post #36734 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

You might want to try this

What might be happening is the HDCP (high definition content protection) in the tv is stopping you from displaying the picture.
HDCP is an annoying piece of technology that stops people from making perfect digital copies of programs, movies, etc.

What you need to do is go into the Direct TV setup and go to the audio output settings, once there change the audio output to PCM audio. You should get your picture back.

Direct tv may have updated something in their system that created the conflict changing it to PCM should fix this.

I checked this setting on the HR24 satellite box, but the unit did not have the option, only Dolby Digital "on or off". Either way, there's marital bliss back in the Bailey household.

"There's no such thing as an easy job, not if you do it right."

Mladen Sekulovich
post #36735 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post

I checked this setting on the HR24 satellite box, but the unit did not have the option, only Dolby Digital "on or off". Either way, there's marital bliss back in the Bailey household.

And that is most important !
post #36736 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post

Quick question. I have a relatively full range center channel, but I need to simulate what would happen if I went to smaller center channel and crossed over at 80 or 100 to the right/left (I have no sub). Am I correct that as long as I have ARC on I can't force a full range speaker to be treated as a small center?

Yes you can. Change parameters in ARC application and upload them to your processor.
post #36737 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkojevnikov View Post

Yes you can. Change parameters in ARC application and upload them to your processor.

But I thought ARC changed crossover settings in the background and I couldnt control them through the ARC software?

So I think to do the test I want, I have to turn ARC off for the source I am listening to, go into bass managment, turn advanced managment off, xover freg to 80. Then I can toggle my center speaker back and forth from small to large. I am assuming when I set center as small, below 80 goes to my left/right and with center as large, nothing is being crossed out of the center?
post #36738 of 43388 Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post

But I thought ARC changed crossover settings in the background and I couldnt control them through the ARC software?

So I think to do the test I want, I have to turn ARC off for the source I am listening to, go into bass managment, turn advanced managment off, xover freg to 80. Then I can toggle my center speaker back and forth from small to large. I am assuming when I set center as small, below 80 goes to my left/right and with center as large, nothing is being crossed out of the center?

ARC software allows you to set cut-off frequencies (and specify which speakers are small and which are large) manually for each pair of speakers. Just change it to your liking (but try not to decrease the frequency identified automatically, only increase). Then calculate, upload and you are set. But don't change crossover frequency in processor itself, only in software.

You can create two different ARC sets for movies and music. You can leave everything on auto for music and change center channel speaker to small for movies (as well as modify cut-off frequencies if you like). Then you can switch between these two presets to compare results. It is better than switching ARC off and setting everything manually.
post #36739 of 43388 Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 AM

Has anyone had any sound distortion' using v2.14/a/b?

I installed V2.14 last week but didn't have much time to use it before v2.14a came out and I installed that to cure the pink screen problem I was getting when exiting the setup menu. As usual I saved and restored my settings before the install.

What I noticed was that the sound on both stereo music and Sky TV (not so much on blu-ray) was distorted, the most obvious difference being a lot of sibilance. Bass sounded more boomy, imaging not so good, and overall the sound was rough'.

Over the past week I've reloaded my original ARC settings and even redone ARC. I also thought v2.14a may not have installed correctly so installed v2.14b, but no difference. In the end I went back to v2.11, which I've been using for some time, and everything sounds better. I'm still not sure it sounds as good as it did before I installed v2.14 but it may be that I'm now listening for ssssssibilance and just picking out what should be there and never really noticed before. I think I need a holiday away from this and come back with clean ears.

Incidentally, I tried setting the ARC threshold to 5k and 10k, as I do have a peak after 5k, but nothing made a difference. My norm is to have it to set to 10k to smooth out the peak. Anyway, I was previously happy with a 10k setting (and that's how Anthem actually installed the system) so I don't think that's the problem.
post #36740 of 43388 Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Normally I use PLIIx but also THX Ultra2 when I feel like toning down a bright soundtrack (such as Terminator 2). I know the purists will balk but I would rather be kind to my ears.

Why not use PLIIx and add re-EQ ?........Them you don't have to use the coloring of thx ultra

Peter
Denmark
post #36741 of 43388 Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx01 View Post

Has anyone had any sound distortion' using v2.14/a/b?

I installed V2.14 last week but didn't have much time to use it before v2.14a came out and I installed that to cure the pink screen problem I was getting when exiting the setup menu. As usual I saved and restored my settings before the install.

What I noticed was that the sound on both stereo music and Sky TV (not so much on blu-ray) was distorted, the most obvious difference being a lot of sibilance. Bass sounded more boomy, imaging not so good, and overall the sound was rough'.

Over the past week I've reloaded my original ARC settings and even redone ARC. I also thought v2.14a may not have installed correctly so installed v2.14b, but no difference. In the end I went back to v2.11, which I've been using for some time, and everything sounds better. I'm still not sure it sounds as good as it did before I installed v2.14 but it may be that I'm now listening for ssssssibilance and just picking out what should be there and never really noticed before. I think I need a holiday away from this and come back with clean ears.

Incidentally, I tried setting the ARC threshold to 5k and 10k, as I do have a peak after 5k, but nothing made a difference. My norm is to have it to set to 10k to smooth out the peak. Anyway, I was previously happy with a 10k setting (and that's how Anthem actually installed the system) so I don't think that's the problem.

I am on 2.14a now and sound has no problems at all, neither stereo nor multichannel.
I only experienced initially weird behavior after FW update re. HDMI handshaking which could be resolved by reconfiguring the source setup of all devices connected by HDMI.
post #36742 of 43388 Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzy View Post

I am on 2.14a now and sound has no problems at all, neither stereo nor multichannel.
I only experienced initially weird behavior after FW update re. HDMI handshaking which could be resolved by reconfiguring the source setup of all devices connected by HDMI.

Same here but with 2.14b. Simply viewing the video output config to check everything was ok then backing out the menus was enough to clear up some initial weirdness. A quick reboot may have been involved too.

- AVStefan
post #36743 of 43388 Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Nicely spotted, I rarely watch DVDs and have had my OPPO set to LPCM output so I've never really encountered this. Thanks for pointing it out.

So I chucked in LOTR EE which has DTS-ES DISCRETE 6.1 and had a play. Here's what seems to happen:

1) OPPO bitstreaming - D2v uses NEO:6 I assume because it splits the single discrete rear channel to both rears for 7.1 output, or it's done by anthems own processing. Either way you end up with mono discrete rears.

2) OPPO decoding - OPPO either drops the rear channel or sums it into the sides and outputs LPCM 5.1 which allows the D2v to use PLIIx to expand to 7.1. You end up missing the discrete channel info but you gain stereo rears.

I shut down all speakers and just listened to the sides and rears. Here's what comes out while playing the same scene:

1) OPPO bitstreaming - with just the rears playing you hear very little in that discrete channel, almost no musical score or environmental cues, it seems to be mostly foley and some dialog. The sides handle pretty much all the enveloping musical score and environmental cues, the discrete rear is used very little compared to the sides. Playing all four surrounds and most of the environment is beside you with some few cues expanding behind you.

2) OPPO decoding - with just the rears playing you hear the foley and dialog from the discrete channel(it's either already mixed in the sides as well as the discrete rear by the studio(likely) or the OPPO is mixing it into the sides(unlikely)), but you also hear the musical score and environmental cues. Playing all four surrounds and the music score and environment expands behind you and you are enveloped more evenly increasing immersion while directional cues continue to move throughout that expanded environment.

It is strange that the Anthem doesn't decode the discrete channel then allow PLIIx to expand 6.1 to 7.1, pretty sure other processors do (inc my old Denon 3808, though I'd have to recheck to be certain).
There is a setting in the D2v's Mode preset specifically for DTS-ES which allows you to select PLIIx processing so I'm not sure why it's not applying it. Maybe it only applies to ES Matrix and not Discrete. Or maybe it is applying it and PLIIx on ES Discrete doesn't produce stereo rears, doubt it as I'm pretty sure PLIIx will always produce stereo rears(calling Rodger Dressler) .......might find some ES Matrix tracks and see what it does.

Edit: just checked an ES Matrix track and the anthem does state its decoding ES Matrix and allows PLIIx processing on it.

Cheers
post #36744 of 43388 Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

So I chucked in LOTR EE which has DTS-ES DISCRETE 6.1 and had a play. Here's what seems to happen:

1) OPPO bitstreaming - D2v uses NEO:6 I assume because it splits the single discrete rear channel to both rears for 7.1 output, or it's done by anthems own processing. Either way you end up with mono discrete rears.

If it is really a 6.1 discrete track, then there is no purpose for Neo:6. The mono rear channel is directly mapped to the 2 rears, -3dB.

Discrete 6.1 trumps applying PLIIx. And there's no easy way around it, other than selecting the DD 5.1EX track. Then you can use PLIIx.

Quote:
2) OPPO decoding - OPPO either drops the rear channel or sums it into the sides and outputs LPCM 5.1 which allows the D2v to use PLIIx to expand to 7.1. You end up missing the discrete channel info but you gain stereo rears.

Yes, the Oppo has the "DTS Essentials" kit, which only does the core 5.1 decoding. The Oppo ignores the Cback channel, so it neither comes out, nor does it get subtracted from the Ls/Rs channels.

Quote:
It is strange that the Anthem doesn't decode the discrete channel then allow PLIIx to expand 6.1 to 7.1, pretty sure other processors do (inc my old Denon 3808, though I'd have to recheck to be certain).

PLIIx does not know what to do with a mono or 3-ch signals. It only works with 2 channels (Ls/Rs). It is technically possible to decode only the DTS 5.1 core and feed a PLIIx decoder, so maybe that's what your Denon offered. But I suspect that since 6.1 is a bygone format, there's little interest in dealing with it anymore.

Quote:
There is a setting in the D2v's Mode preset specifically for DTS-ES which allows you to select PLIIx processing so I'm not sure why it's not applying it. Maybe it only applies to ES Matrix and not Discrete.

Yes, thanks to the ambiguity of dropping Discrete or Matrix, it gets confusing. In this case DTS-ES is the matrix variety, same as DD EX, so the D2v is allowing you to choose which surround processor to pair it with.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #36745 of 43388 Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

I have no problem with mine 3D works fine.
John

That's good, hope to see it soon then, I remember saying that last year.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #36746 of 43388 Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a setting in the D2v's Mode preset specifically for DTS-ES which allows you to select PLIIx processing so I'm not sure why it's not applying it.

Thanks for confirming and analyzing my observation further.

I was expecting it to work also. My previous processor was a Lexicon, but now I can't remember if PLIIx worked so it was more likely their own Logic7 processing that I was using with 6.1 sources.

When I reported the issue to Anthem I was led to believe that it SHOULD work and they were looking into it. Now with Roger's kind reply, I guess they have nothing to do except get better at letting us know the AVM/D is working correctly

- AVStefan
post #36747 of 43388 Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Yes, thanks to the ambiguity of dropping Discrete or Matrix, it gets confusing. In this case DTS-ES is the matrix variety, same as DD EX, so the D2v is allowing you to choose which surround processor to pair it with.

I've been through some confusion with Anthem regarding the "DTS-ES" mode preset also. Another limitation people should be aware of is that it only applies to lossy (core) DTS-ES.

Playback of Blu-rays marked as DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ES (eg: some of the Disney Pixar titles) will not be affected by this mode preset. Apparently they are a bit deceiving as there is NO OFFICAL AUDIO FORMAT that offers this particular combination of lossless DTS-HDMA with a matrix encoded ES channel! It simply offers these choices to the decoder:
  1. DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (lossless but no ES) for the HD system
  2. DTS-ES 5.1 Matrix (lossy core) for the legacy system

Anthem chooses #1, while other processors may "cop out" and choose #2 with no indication.

So now with your post this all makes sense. If this option was clearly described in the user manual as "mode preset for core DTS-ES Matrix only" it would have avoided confusion on both accounts.

Thank you!

- AVStefan
post #36748 of 43388 Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 66
Quote:

If this option was clearly described in the user manual as "mode preset for core DTS-ES Matrix only" it would have avoided confusion on both accounts.

It does... see sections 3.7 (mode presets) and the note at the bottom of 4.8.9 (on the fly mode selection for DTS).

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #36749 of 43388 Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Looking at upgrading to separates at some point (coming from the MRX 300) and I'm curious what people recommend for a 7.1 setup in terms of the allocation of amp channels. That is, I was considering doing something like a 2 channel amp for the mains + a 5 channel for the remaining channels, with the 2 channel being the stronger (say, P2 + A5). That seems like a reasonable compromise to me in terms of price / performance. However, that leaves the centre on the 5, and since I do mainly HT, that's kind of a key channel. Since there isn't a P3 + A4 option, or even P1 + P2, what should I be looking at? Adding an M1 is quite a pricey option, not sure that that would be worth it. What does everyone else do?
post #36750 of 43388 Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Liked: 12
O
I run the P2 and A5 (with D2) and it is fine!!! The A5's 225w for the center is plenty of power.
TJG
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page