post #36781 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

That's rediculous that an Anthem distributor doesn't know the Anthem tech support download particulars. Maybe they should ask Anthem CANADA not USA

Pretty sure they have access but probably had to ask head office(sorry, I assumed USA) permission to hand it out

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36782 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The workaround is to use LPCM input for DTS-HD MA 7.1 tracks.
--Bob

Which is what I've been doing since those tests, not just for HDMA 7.1 but for everything

Cheers
post #36783 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCA350 View Post

Pretty sure they have access but probably had to ask head office(sorry, I assumed USA) permission to hand it out

Cheers

You can ASK Directly from Tech Support for Beta Access
http://anthemav.com/Contact-Technical-Support
post #36784 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 774
I was doing some testing with the Disney "WOW World of Wonder" SD-DVD calibration and sampler disc set. The 2nd disc in this set, called "Visions", includes a sampling of 5-10 minute long clips of various sorts.

Much to my surprise, I found some of these clips used the rare DTS 5.0 96KHz 24-bit format. I believe this is the first time I've seen that format used on an SD-DVD that was not specifically a "music only" disc.

When I sent that as HDMI Bitstream to the D2v it recognized and handled it just fine.

Cool!

(The "DTS Essentials" decoder in the OPPO players decodes that as only LPCM 48KHz.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #36785 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM

Liked: 10
Where do you find these beta versions off the software? I Can only find vs2.10

Peter
Denmark
post #36786 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.las View Post

Where do you find these beta versions off the software? I Can only find vs2.10

They are on a password protected download page. Anthem has asked us not to hand out the access info. It's no big secret -- if you just ask Tech Support they will likely give it to you -- but this gives them a chance to keep some sort of tabs on who is using this stuff, and also to make sure you understand that "test" firmware is not finished yet, and may come with unpleasant surprises.

Since this latest set of test firmware is associated with hardware that is not shipping yet, Anthem may be stricter on who gets access for the moment.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #36787 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I just haven't got access to the beta fw to test it.

tech@anthemav.com or in case the firewall thinks it's spam from a first-time sender use

http://www.anthemav.com/Contact-Technical-Support

We're testing v2.14d today and possibly tomorrow so you might want to get the password now and download tomorrow or the day after. In this version it's all motherboard changes to clean up minor glitches, not HDMI fixes which are pretty much done. A last minute change targets 3.0 and 6.1 input to prevent inapplicable mode selections from being displayed.

And again, my habits regarding monitoring AVS intermittently revolve around beta testing being in high gear - for all other issues and at all other times contact tech support.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #36788 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...and also to make sure you understand that "test" firmware is not finished yet, and may come with unpleasant surprises.

That's exactly what it's all about. All too often people read these boards without realizing that this is test software being talked about, not a general release nor in production.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #36789 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM

After some earlier posts and helpful replies here, I went ahead and got myself an HDFury2, which I love (Thanks, Bob P. and AVFile!). I'm using the HDMI inputs and output now for everything (and the S-Video from my laserdisc) and couldn't be happier. Especially glad about being able to use the HDMI from my Roku.

So, now of course, I want to tinker with it, for no particularly good reason other than the learning experience.

My Toshiba will accept up to 540p / 1080i on its input. I was trying to set up a custom resolution for 540p, but I am just not "getting" the software. I was able to backup my current config, and pull the config from the processor into the software. Then went onto the "Custom" branch, and as a start, loaded in some of the predefined, standard resolutions (that I know work with my set, a Toshiba 65HX81), and then, using the sliders, set the "Active" H x V to 960 x 540. But I have no idea what the other settings should be. Is there a chart or tutorial somewhere? I did search before asking, really!

I also couldn't figure out how to "Upload" the settings to the Anthem, at least, unless I am misunderstanding something. I clicked on "Load", and it says it was successful, but if I exit the software, restart it and click "Get", shouldn't my Custom settings show in the software again? It just reverts to the defaults that are in there before "Get"ing anything.

Many thanks.

- Mark
post #36790 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Much to my surprise, I found some of these clips used the rare DTS 5.0 96KHz 24-bit format. I believe this is the first time I've seen that format used on an SD-DVD that was not specifically a "music only" disc.

Some music videos (Peter Gabriel Play, Queen Rock Montreal, Neil Young) used DTS 96/24 (5.1). Possible reason that it didn't appear on movie DVDs is that it ran at the full 1509 or 1536 kbps DTS lossy rate, which doesn't fit on a feature length DVD with bonus materials, which is why the DTS laser disc and theatrical rate was cut in half for DTS DVD movie releases. This was widely unknown without the help of a prepro had an audio bit rate display, as AVM was among the first to, or until DTS-HD promo material mentioning this appeared. (Side topic - the full rate did happen to fit on DTS promo DVDs containing movie highlights...)

post #36791 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
There were a few full bitrate DTS Audio tracks on DVD. Most of the first titles that appeared with DTS tracks had them (albeit not with any features though!). I think Warner did a few full bitrate samples too, but that didn't last long.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #36792 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Some music videos (Peter Gabriel Play, Queen Rock Montreal, Neil Young) used DTS 96/24 (5.1). Possible reason that it didn't appear on movie DVDs is that it ran at the full 1509 Mbps DTS lossy rate, which doesn't fit on a feature length DVD, which is why the DTS laser disc and theatrical rate was cut in half for DTS DVD movie releases.

Full bitrate DTS soundtracks do indeed fit on DVD. The Sony Superbit discs used it on some releases, such as Antz. But those discs were stripped down to a single language, no extras, to compensate.

As Kris mentioned, Warner did a few discs as a test. Twister, Interview With A Vampire, and the Lethal Weapon trilogy.
post #36793 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post

I was trying to set up a custom resolution for 540p, but I am just not "getting" the software. I was able to backup my current config, and pull the config from the processor into the software. Then went onto the "Custom" branch, and as a start, loaded in some of the predefined, standard resolutions (that I know work with my set, a Toshiba 65HX81), and then, using the sliders, set the "Active" H x V to 960 x 540. But I have no idea what the other settings should be.

I also couldn't figure out how to "Upload" the settings to the Anthem, at least, unless I am misunderstanding something. I clicked on "Load", and it says it was successful, but if I exit the software, restart it and click "Get", shouldn't my Custom settings show in the software again? It just reverts to the defaults that are in there before "Get"ing anything.

You need to use CustomResolutionManager which is a new stand-alone program included with the beta firmware. The custom resolution part of LVSE is not working, but the rest of it should work (I used it for custom Gamma only).

Not sure when exactly you are supposed to Get or Load but I followed a similar process to yours and it went well. Fortunately the Gamma adjustments are made on the fly (live) so you can take screen measurements while making adjustments. I'm not sure if a LOAD is required to make them permanent, but it seems to do no harm.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #36794 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

There were a few full bitrate DTS Audio tracks on DVD. Most of the first titles that appeared with DTS tracks had them (albeit not with any features though!). I think Warner did a few full bitrate samples too, but that didn't last long.

True, but imo just another curio all things considered. Compression still depended on running time. Point I was trying to make is that audio on at least 98% of DTS DVDs is 768 kbps for a reason, which is maybe why 96/24 is so rare.

post #36795 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

tech@anthemav.com or in case the firewall thinks it's spam from a first-time sender use

http://www.anthemav.com/Contact-Technical-Support

We're testing v2.14d today and possibly tomorrow so you might want to get the password now and download tomorrow or the day after. In this version it's all motherboard changes to clean up minor glitches, not HDMI fixes which are pretty much done. A last minute change targets 3.0 and 6.1 input to prevent inapplicable mode selections from being displayed.

And again, my habits regarding monitoring AVS intermittently revolve around beta testing being in high gear - for all other issues and at all other times contact tech support.

Done

Cheers
post #36796 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Done

You downloaded 2.14d already?

Just kidding

It's good to hear they're working on it... I love getting new firmware in time for the weekend

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #36797 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Done

Cheers

Are you going to test if the issues is are historie?

Peter
Denmark
post #36798 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I have my Comcast HD/DVR hooked up both by HDMI and Component for video (and Optical for audio). I just spent some time switching the D2v between the two inputs multiple times, and had no instances at all of Shocking Pink video in either direction of change.

The HD/DVR was sending 1080i, and YCbCr 4:4:4 for the HDMI connection. The D2v was sending RGB Studio Level, 8-bit, to my Display.

It is probably relevant that the HDMI from the Comcast was connected to one of the new style HDMI inputs in the Beta upgrade hardware.

This is with the latest "test" firmware: V2.14b.

I've also had no problems going in and out of the Setup menu.
--Bob

Bob:

Thanks for taking the time to test this feature on your system. I tried different outp resolutions from auto to 12-bits. I got the pink screen within a3-4 clicks switching back and forth from HDMI and component.

The main difference between your system and mine is that i have 2D hardware and you have 3D hardware. I'm also running at a resolution of 1920x1080p/60 to my TV though I tried other resolutions at 1080i and 720p and got similar results. I even told my Moxi cable box to output video at only 1080i which didn't help resolve the problems. Pink screens on the component feed and video blanking in and out on the HDMI feed

I'm at a loss as to what would cause these problems on my system with v2.14b.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #36799 of 42945 Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Shocking Pink or Ghastly Green video are symptoms that the two ends of the cable are in disagreement over whether YCbCr or RGB data format is in use.

Of course this is not supposed to be possible. It is a handshake failure.

As with all handshake failures, reducing bandwidth of the signals (lower resolution or Deep Color disabled so you only use 24 bits per pixel) and improving HDMI cabling are the common things to try.

But for THIS failure in particular, the usual trick is to get every device to use an explicit choice of data format (YCbCr or RGB) rather than using an Auto setting to let the handshake figure it out. In the case of the Anthem, that's set in the Video Output Configuration for output to your display. But you should also look for a setting in your Source devices that selects a fixed data format.

Now Component analog video is always YPbPr -- the Analog equivalent of YCbCr for Digital video. So if your Source or Display prefers RGB then there is a format switch that has to happen. In my case I'm always sending RGB from the D2v to my display, and my Comcast box is set to use YCbCr on HDMI, so that matches the YPbPr it uses for Component.

The Resolutions in use may also be a factor. And of course, as you state, the fact that I'm using the new HDMI hardware for the Comcast input is almost certainly relevant.
--Bob

post #36800 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shocking Pink or Ghastly Green video are symptoms that the two ends of the cable are in disagreement over whether YCbCr or RGB data format is in use.

Of course this is not supposed to be possible. It is a handshake failure.

As with all handshake failures, reducing bandwidth of the signals (lower resolution or Deep Color disabled so you only use 24 bits per pixel) and improving HDMI cabling are the common things to try.

But for THIS failure in particular, the usual trick is to get every device to use an explicit choice of data format (YCbCr or RGB) rather than using an Auto setting to let the handshake figure it out. In the case of the Anthem, that's set in the Video Output Configuration for output to your display. But you should also look for a setting in your Source devices that selects a fixed data format.

Now Component analog video is always YPbPr -- the Analog equivalent of YCbCr for Digital video. So if your Source or Display prefers RGB then there is a format switch that has to happen. In my case I'm always sending RGB from the D2v to my display, and my Comcast box is set to use YCbCr on HDMI, so that matches the YPbPr it uses for Component.

The Resolutions in use may also be a factor. And of course, as you state, the fact that I'm using the new HDMI hardware for the Comcast input is almost certainly relevant.
--Bob

Thanks Bob ...all my settings from the cable box, D2v and TV are explicitly set. No settings on AUTO as i have had more failures in the past using this setting option.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #36801 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Aufdiogon has a 4-month old AVM50v for sale for those interested at a steal !

post #36802 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post

After some earlier posts and helpful replies here, I went ahead and got myself an HDFury2, which I love (Thanks, Bob P. and AVFile!). I'm using the HDMI inputs and output now for everything (and the S-Video from my laserdisc) and couldn't be happier. Especially glad about being able to use the HDMI from my Roku.

So, now of course, I want to tinker with it, for no particularly good reason other than the learning experience.

My Toshiba will accept up to 540p / 1080i on its input. I was trying to set up a custom resolution for 540p, but I am just not "getting" the software. I was able to backup my current config, and pull the config from the processor into the software. Then went onto the "Custom" branch, and as a start, loaded in some of the predefined, standard resolutions (that I know work with my set, a Toshiba 65HX81), and then, using the sliders, set the "Active" H x V to 960 x 540. But I have no idea what the other settings should be. Is there a chart or tutorial somewhere? I did search before asking, really!

Many thanks.

- Mark

You need to use CustomResolutionManager which is a new stand-alone program included with the beta firmware. The custom resolution part of LVSE is not working, but the rest of it should work (I used it for custom Gamma only).

Not sure when exactly you are supposed to Get or Load but I followed a similar process to yours and it went well. Fortunately the Gamma adjustments are made on the fly (live) so you can take screen measurements while making adjustments. I'm not sure if a LOAD is required to make them permanent, but it seems to do no harm.

Remember my unit is an AVM50 ARC, so that won't work for me...I have to use the Live Video Settings Editor I believe.

I'm not even at the Gamma adjustment level yet...I'd just like to get the Custom Resolution sorted out as a starting point...

Thanks,

- Mark
post #36803 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

v2.14d is on the password protected site.

1. HDCP change which may improve cable box operation.

2. Fixes for displayed info - alignment, mode selection, Dolby Volume status.

post #36804 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Liked: 12
It has been a very long time since I have read this thread, so I apologize if this has been addressed a million times already. But I have been reading some of the posts and see people referring to firmware updates higher then 2.10, while the Anthem site shows nothing past 2.10

Where do I find the 2.13, or the 2.14 (once finalized)???

G
post #36805 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post

It has been a very long time since I have read this thread, so I apologize if this has been addressed a million times already. But I have been reading some of the posts and see people referring to firmware updates higher then 2.10, while the Anthem site shows nothing past 2.10

Where do I find the 2.13, or the 2.14 (once finalized)???

G

Call Anthem Tech support for the password to the protected support site. They prefer we don't give it as they like to keep track of who is using the various beta releases which you are referring to. Once finalized you can find it in the usual place on the Anthem site.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #36806 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Wow, Did not even know there was such a site! could you post teh address?
post #36807 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post

Wow, Did not even know there was such a site! could you post teh address?

You'll need the password to access the site and Anthem gives that out and the site address.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #36808 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Installed 2.14D, so far so good. (D2V, non 3-D, came from 2.14B)

Texas Steve
post #36809 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 15
Well I tried putting 2.14d on (previous firmware 2.13g) and it failed 10mins into it, to click retry and nothing. Getting error "Unit cannot be found) and now the D2v wont turn on. This is the first time this has happened installing new firmware. I made sure I selected the corrected D2v firmware etc. Anyway of recovering the unit?

Not happy. My mate just tried his 50v and the same thing has happened, but his running windows 7 where as I'm running XP and never had issues with connectivity.

How do you recover the unit to get the laptop to see it again? I pressed retry but because the unit is off after it fails so I'm getting the error message that the unit can't be found, so how can a user retry it?
post #36810 of 42945 Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
At a min shut down then boot the computer. Also fully un[p[lug the D2v and make sure it is completely reset. See if you can get into the menu or if the unit will load at all then try to connect again.

Also make sure firewalls and anti virus are off.

Hope it works.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page