Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1238 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there away to toggle through the different surround options if so is there an rs 232 code thanks Neale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm looking to keep my Bryston 2Ch Pre-amp and hook it up inline with the D2. I know the Bryston doesn't have HT bypass. Just wodering if the D2 can be adjusted to do this
Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteofmoney View Post

I'm looking to keep my Bryston 2Ch Pre-amp and hook it up inline with the D2. I know the Bryston doesn't have HT bypass. Just wodering if the D2 can be adjusted to do this

waste of money
Old 05-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrwatson View Post

Is there away to toggle through the different surround options if so is there an rs 232 code thanks Neale

The RS-232 control codes can do *ANYTHING*. They are complete beyond all belief. The documentation is found in a spreadsheet included in the ARC 3.0.2 install kit download.

As it turns out, you can even do direct selection of the Audio Surround Modes appropriate for each type of audio input using the IR remote control commands. These are done using 3 key combos (which could be programmed as "macros" in a programmable remote). See Appendix A in the Manual for the details.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

waste of money

Life is a waste of money

Seriously though, I wanted to be able to toggle back and forth between the D2 and Bryston (without switching the wires around) to see if one sounds better in 2ch than the other. I may eventually settle for one of them.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Life is a waste of money

Seriously though, I wanted to be able to toggle back and forth between the D2 and Bryston (without switching the wires around) to see if one sounds better in 2ch than the other. I may eventually settle for one of them.

Why would you want to forgo ARC? There is little chance the Bryston would sound better. My music is played in stereo and it sounds fantastic. The D2 is an excellent 2ch device when needed to do this. Enjoy.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Why would you want to forgo ARC?

I think this would be doable without foregoing the ARC if you're just allowing a certain device to pe a pass-through.

Quote:

There is little chance the Bryston would sound better0

Possible, but according to most stereo guys a dedicated analog pre-amp always wins against a pre-pro. I have to make my own conclusions.
The D2 will be at my doorstep in two days.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think this would be doable without foregoing the ARC if you're just allowing a certain device to pe a pass-through.

Possible, but according to most stereo guys a dedicated analog pre-amp always wins against a pre-pro. I have to make my own conclusions.
The D2 will be at my doorstep in two days.

The old analog vs digital argument is wishful thinking. I tried that with my Arcam player into my D2v using Analog In. Then tried it digitally in with ARC and there was no contest. You should read the "The Ten biggest lies in Audio". it's time to end that myth now. Don't waste your money
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:

The old analog vs digital argument is wishful thinking. I tried that with my Arcam player into my D2v using Analog In. Then tried it digitally in with ARC and there was no contest.John

So I guess the D2/ARC can do wonders as far as correcting/equalizing the main apeakers for 2ch listening?

With your Arcam experiment, i'm a little confused as to what DAC was used here. I'm assuming the Arcam. Do the D2 XLR analog inputs travel through the Anthem DAC circuit before going out to the mains?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM

I'm reading some reviews on the D2v just for craps and giggles, and was wondering if the statement below is just marketing hype. How much distinguishable video improvement does the VXP processor offer for a blu-ray?
Can you D2v owners honestly tell the difference?

Well aware of these trends, Anthem (which is a division of Paradigm Electronics) has created what is in essence a next-generation D2 controller, called the D2V. The D2V addresses all of the requirements we outlined above.

Specifically, the D2V provides:

1) Eight HDMI inputs instead of four, with two HDMI outputs.

2) An updated VXP digital image processor said to provide professional-grade, fully adaptive deinterlacing, adaptive 3D noise reduction, mosquito noise reduction, block artifact reductions, adaptive detail enhancement featuring sharpness and texture enhancement with overshoot control, and adaptive contrast enhancement.

3) Two dual-core DSP engines delivering a combined 800 MIPS (million instructions per second) of processing power, provide onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master audio, plus support for 24-bit/192kHZ PCM audio inputs for up to 7.1 channels.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I guess the D2/ARC can do wonders as far as correcting/equalizing the main apeakers for 2ch listening?

With your Arcam experiment, i'm a little confused as to what DAC was used here. I'm assuming the Arcam. Do the D2 XLR analog inputs travel through the Anthem DAC circuit before going out to the mains?

ARC can do exactly that. Take the measurements for say a 5.1 system and then set for music a two speaker configuration. This will give you a great stereo experience. It has been stated here many times that ARC will trump any differences between DACs.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

ARC can do exactly that. Take the measurements for say a 5.1 system and then set for music a two speaker configuration. This will give you a great stereo experience. It has been stated here many times that ARC will trump any differences between DACs.
John

Not 100% true. The D2v is good but there are better DACS.
The D2v using Analog-DIG and ARC is no comparison listing to stereo using Analog Direct and my Weiss DAC 202.

Waste of Money

You can play your music using Analog Direct which bypasses everything except the D2 volume control. Anthem claims their volume control is not digital and has no effect on the sound.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Not 100% true. The D2v is good but there are better DACS.
The D2v using Analog-DIG and ARC is no comparison listing to stereo using Analog Direct and my Weiss DAC 202.

Waste of Money

You can play your music using Analog Direct which bypasses everything except the D2 volume control. Anthem claims their volume control is not digital and has no effect on the sound.

ARC will make more of a difference than DACs. To bypass ARC makes no sense to me since the the room issues are, in most cases, the most important factor. Use Analog DSP to use ARC. Try both and see what you think.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM

thestewman

That's actually the feature I was looking for. My pre-amp is a Bryston BP25DA (Integrated DAC) which gets it music source (streamed FLAC) from a networked Server > Squeezebox Touch (digital coax out).
Just to clarify, if I connect from the BP25 XLR out to the D2 XLR analog in, I would just set the D2 to Analog Direct and leave both the pre-amp and D2 powered on. I would assume it's best to have the D2 knob turned up to 100% and use the Bryston volume control for music? And when I want to watch movies I just turn off the Bryston just like you would a CD player, phono or any other source.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

thestewman

That's actually the feature I was looking for. My pre-amp is a Bryston BP25DA (Integrated DAC) which gets it music source (streamed FLAC) from a networked Server > Squeezebox Touch (digital coax out).
Just to clarify, if I connect from the BP25 XLR out to the D2 XLR analog in, I would just set the D2 to Analog Direct and leave both the pre-amp and D2 powered on. I would assume it's best to have the D2 knob turned up to 100% and use the Bryston volume control for music? And when I want to watch movies I just turn off the Bryston just like you would a CD player, phono or any other source.

Do not do this. Analogue Direct is not a HT Pass Thru. It is simply a mode where the D2 turns off its digital front end and acts like a conventional analogue pre-amp. The volume is still active and you will be applying gain to the signal in the D2, not to mention that your other pre-amp will be applying gain and you could get to a point where the signal is too high.

Also, you are adding the noise floor of both devices.

If your Bryson does not have a HT Bypass mode, you are kind of stuck switching wires to do your A-B test.

As a person with a PSA GCA-250 and PW-DAC, I can tell you that this combination can sound so much better than my AVM-50 w/ arc in the right environment...

Not willing to give them up, or the AVM-50. Both have a place in my home...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Thats what I discovered after I just researched. The D2 adds boost like any pre-amp.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM

okay Bob. What do you say to these graph. i have not lisent to these setup yet.
LL
LL
LL

Peter
Denmark
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats what I discovered after I just researched. The D2 adds boost like any pre-amp.

In Theory you have the 2nd Best Pre-Pro on the planet.

Only the D2v is #1.

JUST USE IT.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.las View Post

okay Bob. What do you say to these graph. i have not lisent to these setup yet.

Getting pretty close -- given that you have to live with those dips.

The residual error in Center is fine at 110Hz. I'd like to get its crossover closer to 100Hz, but you are right on the edge of being under-corrected now. You might try lowering it from 110Hz to 105Hz just to see how much wore the residual error gets through that dip. The idea is to minimize the amount of male dialog that gets shifted over into the subwoofers.

As for LF/RF, I suggest you raise the crossover a bit more for LF/RF as you've still got about 6dB error uncorrected in that dip for LF. Try 120Hz or 125Hz for LF/RF leaving all the other stuff as is.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

In Theory you have the 2nd Best Pre-Pro on the planet.

Only the D2v is #1.

JUST USE IT.

That's what I figured too. I got the D2 wARC for 2K. I just seen a Bryston BP25DA like mine sell on Ebay for $1500. It can almost pay for the D2.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I figured too. I got the D2 wARC for 2K. I just seen a Bryston BP25DA like mine sell on Ebay for $1500. It can almost pay for the D2.

Anthem D2 ot D2v with ARC is way better than OLD Analog Technology.

Enjoy it and sell the Bryston Pre-Pro.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I want the D2v to trigger my MCH power amplifier using the 12V triggers. What kind of cable do i need and where can i get one?

Thanks,
David

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ At the D2v end you need a cable with two wires and a Mono Mini-jack (NOT a Stereo mini-jack). That's pretty typical for amps as well, but you'll need to check the manual for your Amp. Some just take bare leads into a spring connector for example. You don't need anything fancy as far as the cable. It needn't even be shielded. The cheaper the better.

You can easily find short length Mono cables with a mini-jack at either end at places that sell memo recorders like Radio Shack. The trick is finding a longer length. Typically the easiest thing to do is get the short length and cut it in half. Now you've got two pieces with a jack at one end and bare wire at the other. Extend that to whatever length you need with any type of 2-wire cable. Once you expose the leads at the two cut ends you can use those little plastic twist on caps to join the two exposed leads to the ends of your longer wire.

See the Specifications pages at the back of the Manual for the polarity. (Tip is positive and Sleeve is ground.)

If you have any trouble getting it to work, check that the mini-jack really is fully inserted in the socket. They can be a bit stiff to insert.
--Bob

Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ At the D2v end you need a cable with two wires and a Mono Mini-jack (NOT a Stereo mini-jack). That's pretty typical for amps as well, but you'll need to check the manual for your Amp. Some just take bare leads into a spring connector for example. You don't need anything fancy as far as the cable. It needn't even be shielded. The cheaper the better.

You can easily find short length Mono cables with a mini-jack at either end at places that sell memo recorders like Radio Shack. The trick is finding a longer length. Typically the easiest thing to do is get the short length and cut it in half. Now you've got two pieces with a jack at one end and bare wire at the other. Extend that to whatever length you need with any type of 2-wire cable. Once you expose the leads at the two cut ends you can use those little plastic twist on caps to join the two exposed leads to the ends of your longer wire.

See the Specifications pages at the back of the Manual for the polarity. (Tip is positive and Sleeve is ground.)

If you have any trouble getting it to work, check that the mini-jack really is fully inserted in the socket. They can be a bit stiff to insert.
--Bob

Cool ...thx Bob! So what setting do i have in the Anthem within the Trigger/IR/RS232 menu option? The "All Triggers" options are Disabled, Enabled and RS232.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:

^ At the D2v end you need a cable with two wires and a Mono Mini-jack (NOT a Stereo mini-jack).

All you need is a mono jack, but it will still work with a stereo jack, right?

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

There have been mixed reports. Not clear if people were using the wrong wires or what.
--Bob

Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Cool ...thx Bob! So what setting do i have in the Anthem within the Trigger/IR/RS232 menu option? The "All Triggers" options are Disabled, Enabled and RS232.

Use Enabled if you are going to use the Table offered in there for which events turn on which Triggers. See the Manual.
--Bob

Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Use Enabled if you are going to use the Table offered in there for which events turn on which Triggers. See the Manual.
--Bob

Thanks again Bob!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I was able to get a 6' generic mono cable at a local stereo & tv shop. They had longer too, but not shorter.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 76
However it was not the solution to the annoying clicks I get in the speakers when turning off the preamp and A5. Still room for Anthem to improve on these products compared to some other brands.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers