post #3901 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post

First let me preface my following comments by saying that I think Anthem, and in particular the D2, sound like exceptional products. My hat's off to the engineers that pulled it off, but even moreso to the product manager who specified the product. Finally a serious audio/videophile product that provides all the necessary features in a one box solution (fewer cables and one remote ).

As I go through my search for an HDMI centric AV upgrade, I mostly considered separate audio pre/pro (or receiver) with HDMI video switching, external video processor and perhaps even stand-alone room correction solution. The D2 has certainly made me reconsider. While I agree the D2 is probably the best speced AV processor on the market, it is just a hair short of AV nirvana (perhaps already there for some of you).

My philosophy is the the pre/pro (or receiver) is the hub, the center of my AV system, where most if not all processing takes place (I know this goes counter to BD advanced material and the like) but I see myself changing out sources and displays far more often than pre/pro.

Paul,

That what I though too until I jumped in the HD bandwagon. Having the HD audio only available on HDMI or analogue output from the sources make the use of separate units a lot more complicated in usage. After trying the D2 and compared to my VP50, I found that VP50 provided only little benefice compared to the D2 video processing but in terms of usage it is extremely simplified and significantly increase the HDMI stability of the whole setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tolstoi,

You could send HDMI video and audio to a Yamaha RXV-2700, pass the video through to an external VP and decode either bitstream or up to 7.1 LPCM audio in the Yamaha itself.

But that's another HDMI connection between two devices in the video chain, and given the complications on HDMI even with the D2, I tend to agree that simplicity is better.

Paul
post #3903 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

Is there a list of 1080p/60 to 1080p/60 applicable processing functions on the Anthem?
While the processing on 1080i sources (like D-VHS & many cable boxes) is fairly intuitive (and useful), still wondering 1080p/60 to 1080p/60 capabilities, or even how to set it for passthru if I didn't want the processing????

Anthem has conveniently listed most such possibilities for you under the "7" key on the remote. It's called the Video Source Adjust menu. (grin!)

Add a few additional input and output items from the Setup menu and you've got it.

Input color space and data format conversions, level adjustment, noise reduction, detail enhancement, film content detection, cropping options, scaling of content cropped from the input stream, gamma correction, and output color space and data format conversions (including HDMI sync) for example.

Obviously frame rate conversion doesn't apply if both the input and output are 1080p/60Hz. [But auto frame rate lock might very well apply.]

Nor can transcoding apply (conversion of Component to HDMI for example) since you can only process 1080p/60Hz input to output using HDMI at both ends.

In addition, the Anthem can offload HDCP protocol stuff from the source device via the HDMI Repeater option.

Quite a lot of processing really.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3904 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

thanks Bob, I will email nick and see if can be done, I just wanted to check with you guys first. Im sure Anthem gets hammered with repetitive emails daily.

Bob

Nick emailed me back heres his response,

Hi Bob,

Sorry, can't be assigned like that although between the RCA and XLR outputs there are 4 sub outs that can be used simultaneously. If there is no grounding or interference issue, there is nothing wrong with using the RCA out.

Best Regards,
Nick P., Technical Support
post #3905 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Ethernet port, they seriously need to add one. Using an outdated serial port on a device of this caliber is simply wrong and causes too many problems. I like the thought of using my wireless laptop to adjust the advanced video settings while sitting on my couch watching the TV. BTW, DVDO includes a USB/Serial adapter with the VP50 today.

RS-232 has to stay because thousands of installed Crestron and AMX controllers use RS-232... And don't forget that alot of professionnal installers doing high-end installations still love those...

Quote:

Step up to the Gennum 9450. A key feature here is the Mosquito Noise and Block Artifact reduction, both a result of MPEG video compression so it makes sense to turn these ON for poor source material. This feature is available on the Realta HQV and is coming to ABT with the new ABT2010 chip. BTW, the Gennum 9350 is no longer listed on the Gennum web site.

The 9450's availability date is not known, and even when a chip like this comes out, it normally takes at least several months to build a processor around. And when the 9450 comes out, there will be another chip, and another after that, and so on...

Quote:

More optical inputs (as opposed to coax) - I don't know if the D2 buffers and re-clocks the incoming digital signal for maximum performance but optical inputs are a great way to avoid ground loop problems between components.

The ground loop advantage is moot when another connection has to be made from the same source, such as video. In any case, coax is more versatile than optical because the connection can be longer and cheaper.Upsamplers re-clock the data, and the D2 has an upsampler.

Quote:

A second HDMI output for more than one display device.

It is not so easy to get two HDMI outputs working at the same time because sources are designed to look for only one display. As well, the two displays would have to use the same resolution, data format, and refresh rate. It is common for people to use a projector for movies and a flat panel for the news in the same room - the latter can be connected by using the D2's component video switch in pass-through mode.

Quote:

Analog video bandwidth increased from 110 MHz (in realm of $1,700 RXV-2700 - 100 MHz) to 300 MHz (Arcam AV9 realm).

The existing 110 MHz switching path is transparent for 1080i sources, and theoretically transparent for 1080p sources as well, except that the only known 1080p component video source is the xbox, and there is no known display accepting 1080p via component. Note that the spec for a component video switch is not the same as the spec for a component video switching path from the input jack to the output jack. A switch is just one part inside a path, and the layout of the copper traces affects bandwidth

Quote:

- Simplay HDMI testing. If testing is only done on HDMI 1.3 (not sure) then this is reason enough to step up to version 1.3. More info on Simplay here> Simplay. BTW, certified cables will be categorized into two classes, see this article> Simplay testing.

Is every manufacturer going to submit each product for testing (increasing cost) and is Simplay going to be re-testing everything in every possible system each time something has a firmware update? Don't think so...

Quote:

HDMI version 1.2a (covered by 1.3) for SACD bitstream input with appropriate decoding. Hopefully this avoids the need to switch the player to HD video mode when setup for 480i video out on HDMI.

SACD is beloved by some audiophiles but apparently insignificant to the rest of the world...

Nick told me he did asked Oppo if they can make 1080i-out automatic when playing DVD-A/SACD... maybe in next beta... and the HDMI Auto-PCM setting was also the idea of Anthem...

Quote:

1080p reprocessing, color space, overscan etc. Coming in the ABT2010, not sure if the D2 supports or has path to it but would be very useful.

D2 has this since debut one year ago.

Quote:

HDMI 1.3 for deep color output e.g. YCbCr 4:4:4 at 10 or 12 bit. I suspect new displays will move in this direction as a competitive feature once HDMI 1.3 equipped models come to market. The ABT2010's specs suggest support for this but it's not clear.

Having HDMI v1.3 connection does not mean that even one new feature is added. More importantly, HDTV and hi-def discs use color that is 8 bits per channel, and that is not going to change.

Quote:

A full 7.1 (8 channel) PCM input on the HDMI interfaces for upcoming HD-DVD/BD content like the announced LOTR. Again, something now available on the Yammy RXV-2700.

It remains to be seen if more than a handful of "showcase" discs will have more than 5.1 channels (for example, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete didn't gain popularity, past the initial buzz, for a variety of reasons).

Quote:

Also support for 120 Hz refresh rates (TVs already announced by Samsung).

Only the TV needs to support 120 Hz, not the preamp. The purpose of 120 Hz scanning is so that the TV can prevent stuttering image regardless of whether the input is 24 Hz or 60 Hz. Also, for a cable to carry 1080p/120 it will need double the bandwidth compared to 1080p/60 (which could mean having to spending more time and money finding a reliable one).

Quote:

Room EQ correction. Apparently on the way but no formal announcement? Some Denon receivers support this well today through Audyssey.

Anthem's room correction is in the making. Confirmed directly from Nick.

Quote:

On the audio front the D2 seems near perfect but I would like to see support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD bitstreams over HDMI with internal decoding.

The definition of lossless audio means that it makes no difference to audio quality whether decoding is in the player or the preamp. There is, however, a practical difference - if the audio is decoded in the preamp, the interactive audio features, for example language selection, are lost. They can only be performed inside the player.
post #3906 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

Wow!!

Is't possible to know about time of release...? weeks, months... ?
post #3907 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levesque:

RS-232 has to stay because thousands of installed Crestron and AMX controllers use RS-232... And don't forget that alot of professionnal installers doing high-end installations still love those...

I couldn't agree more. No point spending time and money removing existing features and, as you say, very useful for home automation. Unfortunately I don't own a Creston system but I do own two networked PCs, a router/wireless access point and have Ethernet cabling at home. A 10/100 Ethernet port would cost next to nothing to add and it would open up a world of flexibility to people like me. I think it would make upgrades go smoother also.

Quote:

The 9450's availability date is not known, and even when a chip like this comes out, it normally takes at least several months to build a processor around. And when the 9450 comes out, there will be another chip, and another after that, and so on...

Yes, it seems we are always lusting for the next best thing but it appears the future has been revealed to us and 1080p displays along with 1080p sources like HD-DVD and BD are what's coming. The 1080p reprocessing features seem very good, but I really do want MNR and BAR before pulling the trigger and we now know that solutions are around the corner. I know time slips away, it has been nearly five months since the Gennum 9450 announcement so I'm hoping for next gen solutions to be announced on or before CEDIA.

Quote:

The ground loop advantage is moot when another connection has to be made from the same source, such as video. In any case, coax is more versatile than optical because the connection can be longer and cheaper.Upsamplers re-clock the data, and the D2 has an upsampler.

Good point, at least it works for audio sources and does reduce some possibility of earth loops. This is definitely more a wish list item and certainly not a show-stopper.

Quote:

It is not so easy to get two HDMI outputs working at the same time because sources are designed to look for only one display. As well, the two displays would have to use the same resolution, data format, and refresh rate. It is common for people to use a projector for movies and a flat panel for the news in the same room - the latter can be connected by using the D2's component video switch in pass-through mode.

It's not so much a need to drive two displays at once as it is to have two display devices cabled to the box. I would be happy with an HDMI output toggle button on the remote (provided I can configure them independently). Would this still pose a problem to HDMI?

Quote:

The existing 110 MHz switching path is transparent for 1080i sources, and theoretically transparent for 1080p sources as well, except that the only known 1080p component video source is the xbox, and there is no known display accepting 1080p via component. Note that the spec for a component video switch is not the same as the spec for a component video switching path from the input jack to the output jack. A switch is just one part inside a path, and the layout of the copper traces affects bandwidth

As far as I understand about 30Mhz is about the minimum you would want for an HD analog video path. We often revere audio components that stretch the passband out to 150 KHz so why not provide the same level of headroom for video? I understand what you mean about the entire switching path but I think the Arcam would have that covered. However it does become a moot point if there are not going to be 1080p analog sources as you mention

Quote:

Is every manufacturer going to submit each product for testing (increasing cost) and is Simplay going to be re-testing everything in every possible system each time something has a firmware update? Don't think so...

Here's where we differ on thinking Levesque. I come from the telecom world where (often independent) interop testing is a must. I don't think 1-2 days testing would cost more than $10-15K and this could easily be borne by the quantities involved. It would also reduce the support costs by lowing the amount of problems seen. I just think most companies have a long way to go with HDMI and the knowledge gained from the first products tested would probably trickle into other products quickly.

Quote:

SACD is beloved by some audiophiles but apparently insignificant to the rest of the world...

SACD not a big deal to me but it's nice to have the option. The Oppo fix would satisfy me but may not help others not using the Oppo

Quote:

Having HDMI v1.3 connection does not mean that even one new feature is added. More importantly, HDTV and hi-def discs use color that is 8 bits per channel, and that is not going to change.

Yes understood but it is a prerequisite for those features to be supported. There currently is no other standard enabling most of the associated features. A few years ago we heard that EDTV was enough for any one more than 8-10 feet from their screen, then it was 720p, while all the time I argued that 1080(i) would win (yes I'm in technical marketing). I never even foresaw the 1080p revolution. Now it seems nothing less will do. Wait until all new displays support 1080p through HDMI 1.3, then you will see these enhanced features come to the forefront... and if the D2 is the box in the middle...

BTW, love your HT room. Can you tell me who makes the chairs? Also, it looks like you paid much attention to room treatment, how did you decide on your design/materials used?

Also, why is it so much of the nice gear comes from your part of the world lately. Do you guys spend all your time indoors?

Paul
post #3908 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[quote=LEVESQUE]Anthem's room correction is in the making. Confirmed directly from Nick.

and with athems track record Im sure it will kick butt! cant wait!
post #3909 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 07:03 PM

[quote=ultra 150 pilot]
Quote:

and with athems track record Im sure it will kick butt! cant wait!

AVM50 included or will this only be for the D2?

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #3910 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

Paul,

That what I though too until I jumped in the HD bandwagon. Having the HD audio only available on HDMI or analogue output from the sources make the use of separate units a lot more complicated in usage. After trying the D2 and compared to my VP50, I found that VP50 provided only little benefice compared to the D2 video processing but in terms of usage it is extremely simplified and significantly increase the HDMI stability of the whole setup.

Paul, are you saying that the HDMI stability is better with the VP50 in the mix as opposed to using the D2 to switch HDMI?

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #3911 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Though I will always defer to your wisdom, I would still stick with my commentary on the next-generation want list, already happy to see some of the next generation features here today (grin back at ya Bob )

On the point of two HDMI outputs, it actually is easy and proven to accommodate two HDCP outputs when the output format is the same. It is uncommon because of "policy" vs technical or engineering issues. To me the component out is a kludge for the second monitor in that I can only see 2 of about 8 sources on 2 1080p/60 devices.

It is the early adopter drive to want more, pay more, and be satisfied earlier

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #3912 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Anthem has conveniently listed most such possibilities for you under the "7" key on the remote. It's called the Video Source Adjust menu. (grin!)

Add a few additional input and output items from the Setup menu and you've got it.

Input color space and data format conversions, level adjustment, noise reduction, detail enhancement, film content detection, cropping options, scaling of content cropped from the input stream, gamma correction, and output color space and data format conversions (including HDMI sync) for example.

Obviously frame rate conversion doesn't apply if both the input and output are 1080p/60Hz. [But auto frame rate lock might very well apply.]

Nor can transcoding apply (conversion of Component to HDMI for example) since you can only process 1080p/60Hz input to output using HDMI at both ends.

In addition, the Anthem can offload HDCP protocol stuff from the source device via the HDMI Repeater option.

Quite a lot of processing really.
--Bob

Bob,

Thanks. That's the comprehensive answer I was looking for, including the Hold-7 bane of my existence

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #3913 of 43452 Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Ok, I'm officially brain dead!!!!!! There is too much data on this site.

I've spent the past three hours trying to determine if my Xbox 360 HD DVD 1080i component picture (connection) to my AVM 50 is as good as a native 1080P picture (VGA Connection) connected directly to my Sony Pearl. Basically I'm curious if anyone can explain to me how my AVM 50 can take the 1080i HD DVD over component and make it look as good if not better than the native 1080P master on the disk. Can it? [i] Is it possible???? Right now I have the Xbox DVD player hooked up via component which I assume down revs the 1080P to 1080i. I assume I'm losing picture quality since the AVM converted to 1080P can't match the natural 1080P. Do I have this all wrong? I have the option to hook it up via VGA to get 1080P. Unfortunately the AVM 50 doesn't accept VGA.

Quick note. When Anthem upgraded to the latest code (1.11) they forgot to test 1080i via component. Oops!!!! I had to call and get a beta sample of code to fix it. The new code is 1.11c and 1080i over component now works.

Lastly I'm thinking of buying a PS3 for the Blue Ray player. Will the native 1080P connection via HDMI allow the Gennum to deinterlace the picture? What's the best way to hook up the PS3 to the AVM 50? Does anyone own a PS3? Impressions? Is Blue Ray better than HD DVD? I will say the Xbox sound isn't the greatest.

Thanks for all the help! Because of all you super smart geeks I purchased an AVM 50 and I love it. Thanks and please help this nerd want to be again!!!!

Big Tex
post #3914 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tex,

Lots of questions.

First off, what is your AVM connected to for a display device.

In terms of computer, I assume you could go DVI into the Anthem then Anthem into the display, however, there are some mixed results even with some additional adapters.

Personally I switch after the AVM to output PCs to a display, ie i have an HDMI switch that switches between the AVM output & two PC outputs, all 1080p/60.

I was pretty jazzed by the PS3 until I upgraded to the Pio Blu-Ray Player. It puts out a very affordable (relative to other Blu-Ray players) and it's a cell processor based games platform some people tell me too

There are a few good threads on PS3 use including some ramblings in this thread if you search on PS3.

Welcome,
Tim

BTW Bob is nearly unique in the ability to range from deep technobabble to understandable discourse by mere mortals, so he'll answer the questions better than I ever could.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #3915 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

First of all, sorry for the double post, but someone suggested that I will get my answer quicker by posting in this thread.

Just got a D2. The unit has a DVD player attached via component, and a Satellite box hooked up via component. I have both set to output 480i (for temporary reasons not important for this discussion).

The D2 occassionally sees the DVD player and outputs the signal. Only a specific turn on order accomplishes this (and I can't remember which sequence.) Most of the time, the D2 says no video signal, outputs a blue screen, but I hear the digital audio fine from both the satellite STB and the DVD player.

The OSD looks fine, so I know the front projector is seeing an appropriate signal from the D2.

Any suggestions on how to force the D2 to see the 480i component signal, lock onto it, and output it to my projector? When it is showing the signal, the front panel says DVD1 480i. When it doesn't show the signal, the front display just has Dolby Digital and the volume setting.

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
post #3916 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question, I couldn't find this in earlier posts (but could have missed it).

Will the D2's custom scaling work with an HD signal?

This was being discussed in the 2:35 CIH forum here, as folks were wondering what scalers will allow you to vertically stretch/expand an HD signal so they can then horizontally stretch with their anamorphic lenses. It appears that many scalers won't do this, but I am thinking that the D2 will. Can Bob or someone confirm this?
post #3917 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzdoc View Post

When it is showing the signal, the front panel says DVD1 480i. When it doesn't show the signal, the front display just has Dolby Digital and the volume setting.

Sounds like you have the GHOSTING - Multiple Input Problem.

It is a wonderful new feature Anthem added which you soon
learn to hate and DISABLE.

I'm guessing here - but there are now 4 or 5 DVD inputs
enabled out of the box for the one and only DVD BUTTON.
You really only want one enabled and programmed for
your DVD Component Input.

HOW TO DISABLE them is in the manual or maybe Bob
will come along and tell you what is wrong.

Bob is the Mr. HUMAN Manual
post #3918 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

Quick question, I couldn't find this in earlier posts (but could have missed it).

This was being discussed in the 2:35 CIH forum here, as folks were wondering what scalers will allow you to vertically stretch/expand an HD signal so they can then horizontally stretch with their anamorphic lenses. It appears that many scalers won't do this, but I am thinking that the D2 will. Can Bob or someone confirm this?

BOB has posted numerous - LONG DETAILED ANSWERS.
post #3919 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 AM

Rud,

My bad. I should have been more specific. My display device is a Sony Pearl Projector in my HT room. I'm using a HDMI connection from my AVM 50 to the pearl. This seems to work fine. I'm outputing 1080P/60. I couldn't get 1080/24 to work. It kept freezing. I haven't tried 24p since I upgraded to 1.11c.

Like most of everyone else my issues are on the input side. I'm still very curious if I'm better off sending 1080P HD DVD signals via HDMI to the AVM 50 or should I send 1080i via component like I'm doing today. If the answer is 1080P via HDMI then I think I'm going to buy a PS3.

In summary do I l lose anything sending a 1080i feed instead of a 1080P feed? What's the difference? What's the best feed for the best picture???

One other benefit to the PS3 is the sound...

Thx!!!!!
post #3920 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

Rud,

My bad. I should have been more specific. My display device is a Sony Pearl Projector in my HT room. I'm using a HDMI connection from my AVM 50 to the pearl. This seems to work fine. I'm outputing 1080P/60. I couldn't get 1080/24 to work. It kept freezing. I haven't tried 24p since I upgraded to 1.11c.

Like most of everyone else my issues are on the input side. I'm still very curious if I'm better off sending 1080P HD DVD signals via HDMI to the AVM 50 or should I send 1080i via component like I'm doing today. If the answer is 1080P via HDMI then I think I'm going to buy a PS3.

In summary do I l lose anything sending a 1080i feed instead of a 1080P feed? What's the difference? What's the best feed for the best picture???

One other benefit to the PS3 is the sound...

Thx!!!!!

The short answer is really the only useful answer: There is NO DIFFERENCE in quality between the 1080p signal and the 1080i signal from such discs when fed to a display that accepts either and displays both at 1080p UNLESS there is a bug in the way the 1080i is "interlaced" from the 1080p on disc or a bug in the way the 1080p is "de-interlaced" from the 1080i signal.

With proper interlacing and de-interlacing, both signals contain precisely the same information.

That said, many devices (not just players) have been known to screw up one or the other of these processes. And for some of these disc players, the 1080p output signal is not the pure signal off disc, but rather the player interlaces it to 1080i and then de-interlaces it again before output. I don't happen to know how the XBOX produces its 1080p output or whether it has any problems here.

Meanwhile, the Anthem DOES generate proper 1080p from proper 1080i.

I also don't know what your projector might do differently when fed VGA as opposed to Component or HDMI. But one VERY LIKELY possibility is that the VGA input is set up expecting computer input (Extended RGB) instead of home theater style input (Studio RGB), which means you will have to adjust black and white levels differently and, even having done that, you may still be left with different imaging.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3921 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzdoc View Post

First of all, sorry for the double post, but someone suggested that I will get my answer quicker by posting in this thread.

Just got a D2. The unit has a DVD player attached via component, and a Satellite box hooked up via component. I have both set to output 480i (for temporary reasons not important for this discussion).

The D2 occassionally sees the DVD player and outputs the signal. Only a specific turn on order accomplishes this (and I can't remember which sequence.) Most of the time, the D2 says no video signal, outputs a blue screen, but I hear the digital audio fine from both the satellite STB and the DVD player.

The OSD looks fine, so I know the front projector is seeing an appropriate signal from the D2.

Any suggestions on how to force the D2 to see the 480i component signal, lock onto it, and output it to my projector? When it is showing the signal, the front panel says DVD1 480i. When it doesn't show the signal, the front display just has Dolby Digital and the volume setting.

I suspect there is something simple going on here, but nothing immediately jumps out at me so lets go through the basics:

* What video output cabling and resolution are you using? If Component, are you sure you have the Component output cables plugged into the Main path Component output and not the Zone2 Component output?

* When using the Anthem remote, realize that the buttons along the TOP of the remote select which device the remote is controlling, and not which device you are watching and listening to. To select a device to watch or listen to you need to use the buttons along the BOTTOM of the remote. The Anthem itself is like 3 different devices that can be separately controlled: Main Path, Zone 2 Path, and Zone 3 Path. It is easy to hit the Z2 or Z3 button in the green outlined section at the top of the remote, after which the Anthem won't appear to respond correctly. To be sure you are controlling the Main Path of the Anthem with its remote, just press the Main button in that set of three.

* The Anthem provides "overlayed" inputs. These are separately selectable inputs, each of which can have its own Anthem settings, that happen to all reside under one button on the bottom of the remote. If you hit the DVD button on the bottom of the remote more than once, for example, you will cycle between the various DVD overlayed inputs. This can be confusing if you have not ''disabled" any inputs you don't actually happen to have set up for use. All of the overlayed inputs can be set up in the Anthem's Setup / "Source Setup/Presets" menu. The overlayed inputs (DVD2, etc.) have an additional entry at the top of their settings named SAME AS which can be set to "disabled" if you don't want to use that overlayed input. You should go into that menu and "disable" any overlayed inputs you don't want to use at the moment.

* For the inputs you DO want to use, you need to be aware that selecting Component video as the video source for that input requires TWO entries in its Setup / Source Setup menu. First, on the Component Video In line, specify which set of Component jacks you want to use. Second, on the Scaler Input line, specify that you want Component video to be the video sent to the Scaler for processing and output on the Main Path outputs. The reason you need to do this is that when you select that input device, UNprocessed video from one set of cabling can be sent to the Anthem's outputs (to drive a second display) while PROCESSED input from a different set of cabling goes to the Main Path output to your primary display.

* In the Setup / Video Output menu, select PREFERRED = Component or HDMI according to which type of cabling you are using to your display.

OK, now think through all that, make any adjustments you need to make, and try your Component 480i source devices again. If things are working properly now, then fine. If not let's continue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above didn't fix things for you then we need to dig deeper.

* Some Component source devices have both a menu entry AND a physical switch (usually back near the jacks) that BOTH have to be set to select between 480i and 480p output. Double check how your source devices are set.

* Some Component source devices such as combo DVD/VCR players have Component outputs that are only ever active for a certain type of use. For example, the Component output on combo DVD/VCR players will typically ONLY have video output if you are running the DVD side of the combo. Double check how you are using your device. [EDITED TO ADD: Some HDMI source devices disable their Component video outputs if an HDMI cable is connected to them. Try disconnecting the HDMI cable and see if that restores proper Component video operation.]

* If you are trying to send HDMI 480i to your display, be aware that quite a few displays won't accept that. The lowest they will go is HDMI 480p.

* If you are trying to send HDMI 1080i or 1080p to your display, be aware that the Anthem V1.1x software has a bug which causes its video processing to fail for a small percentage of users when inputs or outputs are set to 1080i or 1080p. This can ALSO be triggered if ANY input device has been set to 1080i since the last time the Anthem was power cycled. Once the bug is triggered, ALL inputs are screwed up even if you change resolutions for all inputs. Anthem tech support has trial software that should fix this (software version V1.11c). To test if this is your problem, set all inputs to 720p or below, set the video output to 720p or below, and THEN power cycle the Anthem and see if your problem goes away.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let's try this stuff and see where we end up.
--Bob

post #3922 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

The D2 and AVM-50 will do this. Use CROP INPUT = CUSTOM in the Video Source Adjust menu to set a 2.35 frame (or whatever) around the movie embedded in the 1.78 (16:9) or 1.33 (4:3) source video input. Then use SCALE OUT = ANAMORPHIC to uniformly stretch that cropped image to your chosen output horizontal x vertical resolution. The result will be that your 2.35 movie is stretched uniformly in the vertical direction to fill the output frame.

You can also shift the centering of the crop as necessary to include subtitles that happen to be displayed below the image.
--Bob

post #3923 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the detailed info! That was very comforting and helpful!

The Xbox HD DVD player can only broadcast in 1080i over component. So I imagine it takes the 1080P converts it to 1080i and sends it to the Anthem which converts it back to 1080P. Hopefully along the way the Anthem cleans it up and beautifies it. Sounds goofy but we all get the point. I feel much better about my Xbox than before. I wasn't sure if I was sacrificing quality at 1080i, I didn't realize 1080i contained the exact same data. I assume the broadcast of the data is what separates the i from the P.

For now I'm going to stick with component 1080i out from the DVD player. VGA is to much of a nightmare.

I'm still waiting for someone to speak up and say that the PS3 changed their life and I should run out and buy one. I still feel I have this gap in my system. The picture is wonderful, the sound is ok. The Xbox audio comes out of an old school toslink and it doesn't sound that great.

Thx everyone for all the assistance....
post #3924 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Tex,
For film based content (as is coming off the discs), 1080i is just a different ordering of the same data that's found in 1080p. 1080p has all the lines of video in normal order and 1080i has all the odd lines followed by all the even lines. The 1080i signal "starts over" twice as fast as the 1080p signal so they both give you a complete image in the same amount of time. 1080i just takes two "passes" to do it.

Now I'm glossing over important details, but that should make you feel there's less magic going on here.
--Bob

post #3925 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a PS3 hooked up to my D2 and it is fine for blu-ray, in fact it got better reviews then most stand alone players. Personally I wouldn't spend any more then that for a blu-ray player until things settle down. I found all the first generation stand alone players lacking in one way or another especially when you factor in price. PS3 makes a great stopgap player until the second generation blu-ray players or better yet combo players hit the street. Oh yea R:fom looks great through the D2.
post #3926 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nick told me he did asked Oppo if they can make 1080i-out automatic when playing DVD-A/SACD... maybe in next beta... and the HDMI Auto-PCM setting was also the idea of Anthem...

The latest Oppo beta which as been out for a couple of months now supports multi-channel DVD-A and SACD playback at 480i. Unfortunately they still haven't got gapless playback of DVD-A going At least that is the case on the Beatles - Love DVD-A. SACD does seem to be gapless.

As far as DSD over HDMI (1.2/1.3) I know of no players that output DSD over HDMI. Even Sony with the HDMI 1.3 equipped PS3 are doing a conversion to PCM.
post #3927 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars158:

Paul, are you saying that the HDMI stability is better with the VP50 in the mix as opposed to using the D2 to switch HDMI?

Lars,

Not at all. Just saying that the option is there and the combined functionality (as announced by competitors) may provide some additional flexibility. For the record my preference would be to use a single device like the D2 as long as it provides all the functionality I desire. It provides the simplest video chain.

Source > D2 > Display.

However you could do this:

Source > Receiver (HDMI switch) > External VP > Display

As I have already mentioned the Yamaha RXV-2700 is one such receiver. There are others but the Yammy is Simplay certified. You could pair this with any HDMI enabled external VP. These new "level 6" receivers allow a full 7.1 LPCM as well as DSD bitsream to be sent over the HDMI link.

Another option is this:

Source > External VP > Display
.............................> Receiver or Pre/Pro

In this case you have no extra elements in the video chain. The external VP will send audio to the receiver. Today the VP50 does this over S/PDIF (no good for multi-channel LPCM) but the announced Lumagen Radiance XP provides a second HDMI out for audio to a receiver. Or it can be used for a second display which is preferable to Component when using HDMI sources as HDCP won't get in the way.

Personally, I'm rooting for Anthem to add the few features I'm looking for.

Paul
post #3928 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

The latest Oppo beta which as been out for a couple of months now supports multi-channel DVD-A and SACD playback at 480i. Unfortunately they still haven't got gapless playback of DVD-A going At least that is the case on the Beatles - Love DVD-A. SACD does seem to be gapless.

As far as DSD over HDMI (1.2/1.3) I know of no players that output DSD over HDMI. Even Sony with the HDMI 1.3 equipped PS3 are doing a conversion to PCM.

Tom! That's amazing!

So they've implemented the pixel replication in the HDMI video stream to regain the needed bandwidth in the audiio stream at HDMI 480i and 480p?

If so, they are the FIRST HDMI source device I know of that has done this for DVD-Audio and SACD.

And what's more, I'm equally impressed the Anthem handles that as input without problems!

=================================

EDITED TO ADD: Are you certain they have done this without reducing audio bandwidth? That is, do you get the full bandwidth of the full set of audio channels at 480i or did they simply cut back the bandwidth to allow multiple channels at 480i instead of just 2 channels?
--Bob

post #3929 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob - I was very surprised too as I just stumbled across it and hadn't seen anyone else mention it.
post #3930 of 43452 Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I suspect there is something simple going on here, but nothing immediately jumps out at me so lets go through the basics:

* What video output cabling and resolution are you using? If Component, are you sure you have the Component output cables plugged into the Main path Component output and not the Zone2 Component output?

* When using the Anthem remote, realize that the buttons along the TOP of the remote select which device the remote is controlling, and not which device you are watching and listening to. To select a device to watch or listen to you need to use the buttons along the BOTTOM of the remote. The Anthem itself is like 3 different devices that can be separately controlled: Main Path, Zone 2 Path, and Zone 3 Path. It is easy to hit the Z2 or Z3 button in the green outlined section at the top of the remote, after which the Anthem won't appear to respond correctly. To be sure you are controlling the Main Path of the Anthem with its remote, just press the Main button in that set of three.

* The Anthem provides "overlayed" inputs. These are separately selectable inputs, each of which can have its own Anthem settings, that happen to all reside under one button on the bottom of the remote. If you hit the DVD button on the bottom of the remote more than once, for example, you will cycle between the various DVD overlayed inputs. This can be confusing if you have not ''disabled" any inputs you don't actually happen to have set up for use. All of the overlayed inputs can be set up in the Anthem's Setup / "Source Setup/Presets" menu. The overlayed inputs (DVD2, etc.) have an additional entry at the top of their settings named SAME AS which can be set to "disabled" if you don't want to use that overlayed input. You should go into that menu and "disable" any overlayed inputs you don't want to use at the moment.

* For the inputs you DO want to use, you need to be aware that selecting Component video as the video source for that input requires TWO entries in its Setup / Source Setup menu. First, on the Component Video In line, specify which set of Component jacks you want to use. Second, on the Scaler Input line, specify that you want Component video to be the video sent to the Scaler for processing and output on the Main Path outputs. The reason you need to do this is that when you select that input device, UNprocessed video from one set of cabling can be sent to the Anthem's outputs (to drive a second display) while PROCESSED input from a different set of cabling goes to the Main Path output to your primary display.

* In the Setup / Video Output menu, select PREFERRED = Component or HDMI according to which type of cabling you are using to your display.

OK, now think through all that, make any adjustments you need to make, and try your Component 480i source devices again. If things are working properly now, then fine. If not let's continue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above didn't fix things for you then we need to dig deeper.

* Some Component source devices have both a menu entry AND a physical switch (usually back near the jacks) that BOTH have to be set to select between 480i and 480p output. Double check how your source devices are set.

* Some Component source devices such as combo DVD/VCR players have Component outputs that are only ever active for a certain type of use. For example, the Component output on combo DVD/VCR players will typically ONLY have video output if you are running the DVD side of the combo. Double check how you are using your device. [EDITED TO ADD: Some HDMI source devices disable their Component video outputs if an HDMI cable is connected to them. Try disconnecting the HDMI cable and see if that restores proper Component video operation.]

* If you are trying to send HDMI 480i to your display, be aware that quite a few displays won't accept that. The lowest they will go is HDMI 480p.

* If you are trying to send HDMI 1080i or 1080p to your display, be aware that the Anthem V1.1x software has a bug which causes its video processing to fail for a small percentage of users when inputs or outputs are set to 1080i or 1080p. This can ALSO be triggered if ANY input device has been set to 1080i since the last time the Anthem was power cycled. Once the bug is triggered, ALL inputs are screwed up even if you change resolutions for all inputs. Anthem tech support has trial software that should fix this (software version V1.11c). To test if this is your problem, set all inputs to 720p or below, set the video output to 720p or below, and THEN power cycle the Anthem and see if your problem goes away.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let's try this stuff and see where we end up.
--Bob

Bob:

Wow! Thanks for the help. Quite impressive to say the least. I went through all of your suggestions without success. I did find out a few things, however:

1.) The order required to get the Anthem to see the component in is the Anthem has to first be turned on. THEN the DVD player has to be turned on. If I switch to another source on the Anthem and then go back to the DVD, it again doesn't see the signal.

2.) If the DVD player is on before the Anthem, it will not see the component source. BTW, it is a Pioneer Elite DV-09 interlaced DVD player.

3.) The DVD component signal is seen by the Anthem (on the video info menu) as:
The Front Display will read: DVD1 Digital MAIN
AL-Cinema 480i
If you hold in the On Screen button, you see:
Component 4:4:4
Signal Type 1440x480i / 59.94Hz

If you change inputs and change back, the Front Display changes to:
DVD1 Digital MAIN
-35.0dB
and a blue screen appears. If you hold in the On Screen button, you see:
Component 4:4:4
Signal Type: 0x0i / 0Hz

I also tried hooking up the DVD player to the Anthem via S-Video with the Aux inputs. When hooked up this way, the Anthem saw the DVD player irregardless if you changed inputs and went back to it, turned it off and on, order of powering up, etc.

So it appears that it is a sync/signal sensing issue with the Component inputs.

So, what am I missing to have the Anthem see my DVD player?
It also doesn't see my Zenith DTV-1080 HDTV STB. I have that set for 480i and outputting via the component outputs. Since that unit never stops outputting video, even when you turn it off (it outputs a black screen), it never sees that unit's signal. I haven't tried unplugging it yet and plugging it in after the Anthem is on, but that's the next step.

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page