Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Is the headphone output of the D2v/50v pre or post ARC? I think its pre-ARC but I want confirmation...Thx!

Circuitry wise I don't know if the headphone is taken off before or after, but ARC will be completely bypassed when using headphones - as the 'Room' no longer exists to require Correction.
Regards, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Right. Besides, sticking the ARC mic up your nose is no fun....

Headphone output is processed in the sense that it is the Stereo down-mix of the Main Path audio. Bass, Treble, and Balance adjustments are also available (Manual Section 4.7) if Bypass is not selected. And of course Volume.

The easiest way to remember this is to think of ARC as an output stage function, tied to each speaker. There's no ARC data for the Headphone speakers, nor for the speakers on Zone 2 or Zone 3.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 122

Thanks AV and Bob. Y'all make sense now ... Was never aware the headphone output is a stereo down-mix of all 7.1 output channels.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 08-31-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

By the way, are you using an RS-232 splitter of some sort, so you can keep the connection for the remote control and still have a connection available for software and ARC updates? Of course, if you can easily access the back of your D2V this is no big deal to swap connections when you need to, but for those of us with no easy access to the back of the device once it's in its place, I am wondering what the solution is.

I use SR-2 Serial Routers to enable multiple device control of RS232 components. wink.gif

--
Korey
Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post

I use SR-2 Serial Routers to enable multiple device control of RS232 components. wink.gif

Interesting. I'm tempted, but for 150 bucks, I think I can pull my rack out and connect the laptop to do firmware updates and ARC re-calibration (barely twice a year on average). Thanks though, this is bookmarked now for consideration in the future.

-Brian
Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You could use an old switchbox, or just connect the wires together manually with the right gender adapter.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Having a problem with my HDMI2 output to the small rack TV that was working fine before I had the dealer do the 3D video board upgrade. I use this small TV as a way of avoiding turning on my large TV when I simply want to stream music from my Oppo 95, or watch my SAT source or CABLE source when I'm sitting right next to the rack and don't need a nice big TV. Okay, since the D2V upgrade to add the 3D capable board, I can no longer get proper HDMI syncing from the Oppo 95 when using the HDMI2 display when the main HDMI1 display is turned off. The SAT Tivo and the Cable Series 3 Tivo both work fine without the main display on, but the Oppo source does not. It tries like mad to get a "lock" on the signal, but after 3 seconds of displaying properly, it flakes out and goes back and forth like that forever. I've tried lowering the resolution on the Oppo to 480p or 480i (instead of Source Direct) and still no luck. I've tried moving the Oppo input to a different HDMI port on the D2V, and no luck (upper vs. lower 4 inputs, tried them both). No change. This was working perfectly without the 3D board upgrade (even with 3.09 code I had put on *before* the hw upgrade). Of course, immediately after the upgrade, I put 3.09 on again, as dictated by Anthem's release notes and others here. I'm at a complete dead end. This is a MAJOR problem, as one of the most important requirements is to be able to surf the Oppo and use its many features *without* needing to power on the main HDMI1 out display.

I know there are others from years passed here that have projectors or what not off HDMI1 and small little displays on HDMI2 like mine for exactly this purpose, anybody have 3.09 with the 3D board upgrade and with an Oppo Blu-ray player of some sort, even if not the 95?

Thanks for any help anyone can think of...

-Brian
Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3D upgrade? Wow, I've been gone a LONG time. Email subscription notifications just started showing up again for me. Hey, look! I'm still a gold subscriber member!

So, where are we with the Statement products? I'm an "original" D2 owner, not a D2v. I asked about an upgrade a few years back and was told there wasn't an upgrade path... I got a "trade in" price, but it certainly didn't make sense.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Having a problem with my HDMI2 output to the small rack TV that was working fine before I had the dealer do the 3D video board upgrade. I use this small TV as a way of avoiding turning on my large TV when I simply want to stream music from my Oppo 95, or watch my SAT source or CABLE source when I'm sitting right next to the rack and don't need a nice big TV. Okay, since the D2V upgrade to add the 3D capable board, I can no longer get proper HDMI syncing from the Oppo 95 when using the HDMI2 display when the main HDMI1 display is turned off. The SAT Tivo and the Cable Series 3 Tivo both work fine without the main display on, but the Oppo source does not. It tries like mad to get a "lock" on the signal, but after 3 seconds of displaying properly, it flakes out and goes back and forth like that forever. I've tried lowering the resolution on the Oppo to 480p or 480i (instead of Source Direct) and still no luck. I've tried moving the Oppo input to a different HDMI port on the D2V, and no luck (upper vs. lower 4 inputs, tried them both). No change. This was working perfectly without the 3D board upgrade (even with 3.09 code I had put on *before* the hw upgrade). Of course, immediately after the upgrade, I put 3.09 on again, as dictated by Anthem's release notes and others here. I'm at a complete dead end. This is a MAJOR problem, as one of the most important requirements is to be able to surf the Oppo and use its many features *without* needing to power on the main HDMI1 out display.

I know there are others from years passed here that have projectors or what not off HDMI1 and small little displays on HDMI2 like mine for exactly this purpose, anybody have 3.09 with the 3D board upgrade and with an Oppo Blu-ray player of some sort, even if not the 95?

-Brian

Brian

It must be either your HDMI cable or the OPPO setup as the HDMI 2 is in parallel with HDMI 1.
Do you have the same problem if you have HDMI 1 as the output for the OPPO ?
Check the OPPO for designated output selections instead of auto etc.

Stew
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Brian

It must be either your HDMI cable or the OPPO setup as the HDMI 2 is in parallel with HDMI 1.
Do you have the same problem if you have HDMI 1 as the output for the OPPO ?
Check the OPPO for designated output selections instead of auto etc.

Stew

Not the cable Stew, its a high speed cable, same one as I was using 5 days ago when it was working perfectly. And I'm not talking about the Oppo's 2 HDMI outputs, I'm talking about the D2V's HDMI Main Out and HDMI2 out (you know, there are 2 outputs on the D2V). One is processed, one is not. HDMI2 is not just a parellel path of HDMI1. I am only using 1 HDMI out on the Oppo itself, that being HDMI1, it goes to the D2V. The issue revolves around the fact that I use 2 different displays as output from the D2V, one for my large TV and one for the small rack monitor. Again, I have 2 Tivo's that don't exhibit this problem at all, only the Oppo doesn't handshake properly when HDMI1 output on the D2V (the main large TV) is powered off.

-Brian
Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

-Brian
For diagnosis, try the same thing but with the cable disconnected from the D2v's HDMI 1 output. If that works then the problem is that the TV is keeping that HDMI 1 connection "live" even though the TV is OFF, but it's not responding as expected during he handshakes. It may be possible to work around that by disabling things like HDMI CEC in that TV (may mean switching to a different HDMI input on it).

OPPO has an upgraded Anthem in their lab, and may also be able to offer assistance. My guess is the other sources aren't trying to negotiate Copy Protection to the powered down TV.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Another thing to try is to switch the main TV to a different HDMI input -- perhaps one not even cabled -- before turning it OFF. It may only be keeping its "last used" HDMI input live when it is turned off.
--Bob

Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Not the cable Stew, its a high speed cable, same one as I was using 5 days ago when it was working perfectly. And I'm not talking about the Oppo's 2 HDMI outputs, I'm talking about the D2V's HDMI Main Out and HDMI2 out (you know, there are 2 outputs on the D2V). One is processed, one is not. HDMI2 is not just a parellel path of HDMI1. I am only using 1 HDMI out on the Oppo itself, that being HDMI1, it goes to the D2V. The issue revolves around the fact that I use 2 different displays as output from the D2V, one for my large TV and one for the small rack monitor. Again, I have 2 Tivo's that don't exhibit this problem at all, only the Oppo doesn't handshake properly when HDMI1 output on the D2V (the main large TV) is powered off.

-Brian

Brian
I understand what you are trying to accomplish.
After I read your post I moved my display to HDMI 2 OUT to test HDMI 2 and it works for every input from the HDMI inputs 1-6.
There is No on screen display from the Anthem from HDMI 2 out
Try different Anthem HDMI inputs from 1 to 4 on the top board.

From Anthem's web site
"It’s now 3D equipped. Fully featured 7.1-channel audio and video processor, 8 HDMI Inputs and 2 Parallel HDMI outputs with the top four ports (HDMI 1 through 4) and top output (HDMI 1) supporting true bypass sensing 3D inputs automatically, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, PCM 24/192, highest quality 1080p upscaling with 1080p24 compatibility, Anthem Room Correction, premium quality A/D and D/A converters, 24-bit/192 kHz upsampling on all channels in main zone, two stereo zones."

Also try an input on the lower board for the OPPO bypassing the 3D sensing
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

For diagnosis, try the same thing but with the cable disconnected from the D2v's HDMI 1 output. If that works then the problem is that the TV is keeping that HDMI 1 connection "live" even though the TV is OFF, but it's not responding as expected during he handshakes. It may be possible to work around that by disabling things like HDMI CEC in that TV (may mean switching to a different HDMI input on it).

OPPO has an upgraded Anthem in their lab, and may also be able to offer assistance. My guess is the other sources aren't trying to negotiate Copy Protection to the powered down TV.
--Bob

Okay, I tried what you suggested, removing HDMI1 out completely from the back of the D2V, and voila! the picture stays synced properly to the little TV attached to HDMI2 out of D2V. So, it is definitely something about the D2V really wanting to sync badly with the TV, even though it is off. I then tried your suggestion of looking for disablement of HDMI CEC on the TV itself, and there are no such settings, I looked everywhere (it's a Sharp Elite 70 inch). Then, I tried switching the TV to a different HDMI input (one with nothing attached in fact) before powering it off, and still it forces the little display to freak out and not get a solid signal from the Oppo. I even tried changing the TV input to the Component input to try and fool it, and still no luck. The TV, no matter what it's set to, is still keeping HDMI1 input "live" as you say. But again, the weirdest thing is that none of my other sources (DirecTV Tivo THR-22 nor Tivo Series 3 for cable) exhibits this problem. I can watch them all day long on the little TV with the main TV totally turned off. I suspect that Oppo is the problem, the real issue lies with how it wants to sync with a powered off device. No?

Thanks again Bob, very much appreciate your helping me track this down.

-Brian
Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Actually it sounds to me like the HDMI copy protection check is failing, so you are getting constant retries. The OPPO knows the TV on that cable is "live", but the TV is not responding in the expected fashion.

In any event, I suggest you give OPPO Tech Support a call and see if they can help diagnose this for you. As I said, they have an upgraded Anthem in their lab, and may also have some history with your model of main TV.

Obviously you should also check that you have the latest firmware in your OPPO.
--Bob

Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Brian,
I am guessing that since the "3D" upgrade you have video output config set to "through"? Try setting it to an explicit 1080p mode and see if the problem goes away. There are known handshake problems with sources in this mode when the display is off. Let us know.
Stefan

- AVStefan
Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Brian,
I am guessing that since the "3D" upgrade you have video output config set to "through"? Try setting it to an explicit 1080p mode and see if the problem goes away. There are known handshake problems with sources in this mode when the display is off. Let us know.
Stefan

Well, I have a new 'virtual source' that is called Blu-3D and is set to Through, but no, I haven't been using that one at all in this testing. In fact, in Through mode, there will never be any video output at all on HDMI2, that's noted in the D2V manual in fact. So no, I was using the plain old original source that I have for 1080p/60 output for the Oppo like it's always been, and the Oppo itself is set to output "source direct". I've tried setting the Oppo resolution to a fixed variable like 480p or 480i or 1080p, and it still has the exact same problem.

-Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Actually it sounds to me like the HDMI copy protection check is failing, so you are getting constant retries. The OPPO knows the TV on that cable is "live", but the TV is not responding in the expected fashion.

In any event, I suggest you give OPPO Tech Support a call and see if they can help diagnose this for you. As I said, they have an upgraded Anthem in their lab, and may also have some history with your model of main TV.

Obviously you should also check that you have the latest firmware in your OPPO.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I will call Oppo and attempt to describe this to them in a way they will understand. The key to understanding the issue is understanding all the moving parts,from the Oppo to the Anthem to the Elite 70 and the little rack monitor. I suspect they will not have all of these exact parts to test, so they will blame me for having screwed something up. It's just such a waste of time. Notice that we all just put up with HDMI problems like this, self included. Remember Component video??? It worked like a charm, every damn time. Who really is winning with this whole HDMI thing anyway? it may be the world's worst standard, if you can even call it that.

In any case, thank you again Bob, super helpful as always!

-Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Okay, I tried what you suggested, removing HDMI1 out completely from the back of the D2V, and voila! the picture stays synced properly to the little TV attached to HDMI2 out of D2V. So, it is definitely something about the D2V really wanting to sync badly with the TV, even though it is off. I then tried your suggestion of looking for disablement of HDMI CEC on the TV itself, and there are no such settings, I looked everywhere (it's a Sharp Elite 70 inch). Then, I tried switching the TV to a different HDMI input (one with nothing attached in fact) before powering it off, and still it forces the little display to freak out and not get a solid signal from the Oppo. I even tried changing the TV input to the Component input to try and fool it, and still no luck. The TV, no matter what it's set to, is still keeping HDMI1 input "live" as you say. But again, the weirdest thing is that none of my other sources (DirecTV Tivo THR-22 nor Tivo Series 3 for cable) exhibits this problem. I can watch them all day long on the little TV with the main TV totally turned off. I suspect that Oppo is the problem, the real issue lies with how it wants to sync with a powered off device. No?

Thanks again Bob, very much appreciate your helping me track this down.

-Brian

I opened the manual for the PRO 70X5FD (is this your model?) and on pg 62-63 they talk about 'Link Control' which is their name for CEC control. Make sure "Link Control" disabled in your TV's setup menu.

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Bob. I will call Oppo and attempt to describe this to them in a way they will understand. The key to understanding the issue is understanding all the moving parts,from the Oppo to the Anthem to the Elite 70 and the little rack monitor. I suspect they will not have all of these exact parts to test, so they will blame me for having screwed something up. It's just such a waste of time. Notice that we all just put up with HDMI problems like this, self included. Remember Component video??? It worked like a charm, every damn time. Who really is winning with this whole HDMI thing anyway? it may be the world's worst standard, if you can even call it that.

-Brian

To add to everyone's dismay it is going to more complicated shortly

HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

HDMI FORUM RELEASES VERSION 2.0 OF THE HDMI SPECIFICATION

Increased bandwidth provides the infrastructure for new features that will drive the next generation of consumer entertainment

BERLIN, Germany - September 4, 2013 – IFA 2013 – HDMI Forum, Inc., a non-profit, mutual benefit corporation, today announced the release of Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification. This latest HDMI Specification, the first to be developed by the HDMI Forum, offers a significant increase in bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) to support new features such as 4K@50/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution; 32 audio channels; as well as dynamic auto lip-sync and extensions to CEC. The complete Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification is available to Adopters on the HDMI Adopter Extranet. HDMI Licensing, LLC will host a press conference to discuss the new features of the HDMI 2.0 Specification at IFA 2013 in Berlin on Friday, September 6 at 12:00pm in the TecWatch Forum area of Hall 11.1.

Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification, which is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification, was developed by the HDMI Forum's Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world's leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components. The HDMI Forum currently has a membership of 88 companies.

"The introduction of the HDMI 2.0 Specification represents a major milestone for the HDMI Forum," said Robert Blanchard of Sony Corporation, president of the HDMI Forum. "Our members collaborated closely to take the highly successful HDMI Specification to the next level by expanding audio and video features for consumer electronics applications."

The HDMI Forum has chosen HDMI Licensing, LLC to be the Agent to license Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification. In this role, HDMI Licensing, LLC will provide marketing, promotional, licensing and administrative services, as well as education on the benefits of the HDMI Specification to adopters, retailers, and consumers.

"We are pleased to continue our work in supporting the HDMI Adopter base as well as the entire HDMI ecosystem," said Steve Venuti, president of HDMI Licensing, LLC. "Adopters can now continue to develop new product functionality over the HDMI interface as well as look to HDMI Licensing, LLC as their single contact for all their licensing and administrative needs."

Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth.

The HDMI 2.0 Compliance Test Specification (CTS) is expected to be released before the end of 2013.

For more information about Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification please visit http://www.hdmi.org.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, everyone. Recently I bought AVM 50 (not 50V) but did not come with ARC-1 kit. Can I use my friend's MRX300 ARC kit to connect AVM 50 to cal ARC? Thanks~
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC485 View Post

Hello, everyone. Recently I bought AVM 50 (not 50V) but did not come with ARC-1 kit. Can I use my friend's MRX300 ARC kit to connect AVM 50 to cal ARC? Thanks~

I understand that the short answer is YES. Early ARC implementations required a serial number file for both the Unit and Microphone, but the current ARC v3.02 only looks for the Microphone cal file, which will be on your friends original installation CD, and if you're using their laptop then it should simply find your AVM50 once connected. Hope this is correct, as my experience only extends to the MRX range.
Regards, mike.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new connectors.

In other words they aren't fixing the #1 problem with this tech.

Great. I have problems with getting a connection that works for just deep color. How is this going to work with 4K?

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, that's going to make things interesting.

- AVStefan
Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

I opened the manual for the PRO 70X5FD (is this your model?) and on pg 62-63 they talk about 'Link Control' which is their name for CEC control. Make sure "Link Control" disabled in your TV's setup menu.

Tom

Tom, yes indeed Link Control has always been disabled on my set. Not the issue. But good thought for sure.

-Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post

I understand that the short answer is YES. Early ARC implementations required a serial number file for both the Unit and Microphone, but the current ARC v3.02 only looks for the Microphone cal file, which will be on your friends original installation CD, and if you're using their laptop then it should simply find your AVM50 once connected.

Only if the AVM50 has the ARC upgrade hardware installed.

- AVStefan
Old 09-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

. . . .

-Brian

Don't worry. The HDMI 2.0 spec got published today, and according the press release, it is perfect.
--Bob

Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC485 View Post

If your AVM 50 did not come with an ARC-1 kit, then it very likely ALSO does not have the upgraded audio processing board in it to enable ARC processing. I.e., using your friend's mic and software won't do any good, because the necessary hardware isn't in your AVM 50.

Give Anthem Tech Support a call with the serial # of your AVM 50, and they should be able to tell you.
--Bob

Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Quote:

Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new connectors.

In other words they aren't fixing the #1 problem with this tech.

Great. I have problems with getting a connection that works for just deep color. How is this going to work with 4K?

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

The press release assures us that ALL existing Category 2 certified HDMI cable (i.e., currently marketed as "For 1080p") will work just fine. If it doesn't, then it must be you aren't using it right. Read the manual that came with your cable.

Some folks have also reported that a chalk Pentagram helps.
--Bob

Old 09-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

So I reported the issue to Oppo Tech Support, they are going to add it to their things to test. The Tech Support guy did spend a great deal of time with me testing all kinds of things. We did so many different scenarios my head is spinning. But net of it is that first he thought it was actually the Anthem that is the problem, but then finally the device to blame is the little 7inch Xenarc rack space monitor that I use. He is fairly sure they can get ahold of one at Oppo and test with it. Of course, as luck would have it, and after putting everything back the way it was, now I cannot get any output at all to the Xenarc from ANY source, including the Tivo and DirecTV boxes that had been working fine. I cant' even get a picture when the main TV is ON let alone when it's OFF. So, things are now worse than they were before I opened my big mouth to complain. Wow...so, I'm tempted to ditch the little Xenarc and buy another small monitor for my rack. Anybody know of an HDMI-based 7 inch monitor that is worth its salt??? I may have to ditch the Xenarc and buy something else.

Gotta love how the HDMI marketing machine gets you to just keep spending - new displays, new cables all the time, new sources, and the beat goes on....

Crazy that I fall for it...nurse??? Can I get an IV drip of Calgon please??? Take me away!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers