post #41671 of 43101 Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

It's been mentioned several times, the hdmi cable should be 6' or longer.
. . . .

The "or longer" is not really correct. The point is, the sweet spot length for the "equalization" done by the HDMI chips at either end is 2 meters or 6 feet. Most people already know that longer cables might cause problems -- although HDMI is actually pretty forgiving up to about 12-15 feet. But what seems to surprise folks is that SHORTER cables can also cause problems.

So whereas with audio interconnects, the rule is the shorter the better, with HDMI that's not the case. Ideally the cable between any two HDMI devices will be a single run (no daisy-chained cables, switches, splitters, adapters, wall-plates, etc. and 6 feet long. Obviously for devices that are close together, it is easy to allow for a neatly coiled, 6 foot cable. For devices that are farther apart it is wise to look for a cable that claims it is good for 1080p video at that longer length. For example Blue-Jeans cable sells two types of "best" HDMI cable, with one of them spec'ed specifically for longer runs.

But even as many folks get "lucky" with their long HDMI cables, just as many folks ALSO get "lucky" with short HDMI cables. The 6 foot length is best thought of as a guideline then, designed to maximize one's luck.

For medium long runs, Redmere technology HDMI cables seem to be getting lots of kudos. These are "active" cables with a chip in the source end (which means they are also directional -- you have to plug them in the right way around for them to work right). Basically that chip handles the "equalization" in a way that's specific for the length of that very cable. To the HDMI transmitter/receiver chips in the devices at either end, it makes a Redmere cable of whatever length appear to work as well as a 6 foot long, normal, HDMI cable.

For really long runs (more than 30 feet) odds are you will need to run something OTHER THAN an HDMI cable. I.e., HDMI to a converter box, then something else between that and another converter box at the other end, and then HDMI from that 2nd converter to the destination device. There are several choices of "something else" and the matching converters, with a surprisingly large range of prices considering they all do basically the same thing, which is get you off of the simplistic, twisted-pair wiring that's inside an HDMI cable.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41672 of 43101 Old 09-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello thestewman,

My Zuma can play anything you throw on it as Mr. Apgood mentioned. It can play very high bitrates MKV files. It can play also DSD files for music if you have DSD capable DAC. I could use all those surround modes..DTS-HD Dolby True HD bitstreaming with ease. Its just a matter of settings for XBMC where in their site they have a procedure how to do it. .

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

I am using a NAS Synology for data storage.
Sorry for the OT....

post #41673 of 43101 Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Bob Pariseau,

I am always impressed with your emails. Not many people on forums take the time to reply with such detail in their response. I've learned and lot and I'm sure others will take a way some of the wisdom you put forth. Thank you.
bekindrewind.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #41674 of 43101 Old 09-22-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just uploaded arc results to my anthem d2v. Then I turned on the the unit and change it from the FM or whatever arc uses for the calibration and switch it to DVD... I tried to access the menus to change in the source setup the bass management and the unit didn't allow me to access to any menu or even raising the volume by using the d2v's remote control. So, I turned off the switch in the back and turn it back on and there is no power.. I tried disconnecting the unit from the power source, connecting it again and not luck....

Is my unit in safe mode or something like that? what can I do to reset it?

Many thanks,

Christian

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #41675 of 43101 Old 09-22-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Perhaps the upload was interrupted or corrupted. Is ARC still able to communicate with the unit? i.e. can the software find the D2v now? If so try re-uploading.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #41676 of 43101 Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Has anyone compared PQ of their DVR output into the Oppo HDMI input versus directly into the Anthem pre-pro itself? I'd like to know before I do a major re-wire of my setup. Keep hearing reports that the DVR output looks cleaner if processed via the Oppo then into the Anthem versus directly from the DVR into the Anthem. Not sure what to make of these reports...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #41677 of 43101 Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Has anyone compared PQ of their DVR output into the Oppo HDMI input versus directly into the Anthem pre-pro itself? I'd like to know before I do a major re-wire of my setup. Keep hearing reports that the DVR output looks cleaner if processed via the Oppo then into the Anthem versus directly from the DVR into the Anthem. Not sure what to make of these reports...

Where are you seeing these reports about Anthem PQ ?
post #41678 of 43101 Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Quote:

In general, I read that passing the signal through the Oppo produces a cleaner picture than through a pre-pro/receiver itself. Granted, the Anthem was not named specifically, but in general, it was said the Oppo does a better job on the DVR signals than if the DVR is connected directly to a processor, as is the case normally.

These reports were made  in the Oppo 103/105 forums...

post #41679 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In general, I read that passing the signal through the Oppo produces a cleaner picture than through a pre-pro/receiver itself. Granted, the Anthem was not named specifically, but in general, it was said the Oppo does a better job on the DVR signals than if the DVR is connected directly to a processor, as is the case normally.

Why don't you test it before doing a permanent rewiring? In my case, since I don't have a 3D video card installed, I tried to connect my pc to the oppo 103 by hdmi and then split video and sound out of the player. While the video was good, the sound was compressed due to bandwith limitations. So for me, I simply just connected the pc directly to the processor. I get not video from the pc but at least the music, etc.. sounds great...

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #41680 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Anthem and the OPPO have similar quality level of video processing. There are differences of course since the processing system is different, but they are subtle. The differences are not big enough to justify jumping one way or the other. I suggest you keep things simple and connect the DVR direct to the Anthem. Set the DVR to "native" output so that it puts out 480i, 720p, and 1080i automatically according to whatever channel you are watching at the moment. That insures the Anthem is doing the heavy lifting for video.
--Bob

post #41681 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I just uploaded arc results to my anthem d2v. Then I turned on the the unit and change it from the FM or whatever arc uses for the calibration and switch it to DVD... I tried to access the menus to change in the source setup the bass management and the unit didn't allow me to access to any menu or even raising the volume by using the d2v's remote control. So, I turned off the switch in the back and turn it back on and there is no power.. I tried disconnecting the unit from the power source, connecting it again and not luck....

Is my unit in safe mode or something like that? what can I do to reset it?

Many thanks,

Christian

When testing this, use the Front Panel buttons -- not the remote. If it works with the Front Panel buttons, then, of course, the first thing to try is to put fresh batteries into your remote.

It is highly unusual for an ARC Upload to screw up the processor. It is just using Serial port commands to copy values to the right places in memory -- standard stuff that's about as reliable as it can get.

What is more likely is that in the course of attaching or removing the serial cable, you shifted some of the other cables in back and now have a short -- for example of the output lines to your amp. As is, if you can't get the unit to power up, there's not much you can do in the way of diagnosis, so the next step would be to remove ALL the cables from the D2v. Then, to make sure you don't have a wall power problem of some sort, carry the D2v to a different room (different power circuit) and connect up JUST its power cord -- nothing else -- and see if the unit will power up. If so, bring it back and connect it up a few cables at a time until the problem returns (in which case you know which cables are causing it) or you get it all hooked back up again (in which case -- problem solved).

There are serial commands you can send to the D2v to force a Reset which MIGHT work even if the unit doesn't appear to be powering up normally. If you can't get the unit to power up with everything disconnected, get in touch with Anthem Tech Support and ask them to walk you through that. Afterwards you will need to re-install the firmware and your ARC solution, as well as re-entering your settings from scratch.
--Bob

post #41682 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, everyone. I'm using MRX300 with power amp. Now want to upgrade to 50v or D2v. If I used it for movie mostly, is 50v already enough for me? Is it big difference between 50v and D2v if movie playback? Thanks~
post #41683 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ There have been almost no posts here from folks who did a decent comparison of the 50v vs. the D2v for audio. Keep in mind that to do this you need to spend time to do an ARC setup for each, for example. For the prior generation products -- the original 50 and D2 -- the consensus from folks posting here was that they COULD hear the difference -- even from folks who ended up staying with the 50 anyway due to the lower price.

I'd say there will be more difference between the MRX and the 50v than between the 50v and the D2v. In addition, the audible improvement going to the D2v will be dependent on the quality of your speakers/amps.

The D2v is expensive, but my recommendation has always been if you can afford it then go for it. As you improve the rest of your system the D2v will carry you in good stead. But if you need to save money -- or spend money upgrading other parts of your system (e.g., speakers), the 50v is no slouch by any means.
--Bob
AVfile likes this.

post #41684 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

How can i do the force reset? I was told by anthem tech support to ship them the unit because I cannot power it... However, it will be too costly and probably time consuming to do so....if you know how to do it please pm me and we can talk right now over the phone as a private consult....

Chris.

post #41685 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I'll send you a PM.
--Bob

post #41686 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ For folks playing along at home, it appears GONZALC3's D2v is *NOT* bricked. At this point it looks like a problem providing power to both the D2v and his Subwoofer.
--Bob

post #41687 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Anthem and the OPPO have similar quality level of video processing. There are differences of course since the processing system is different, but they are subtle. The differences are not big enough to justify jumping one way or the other. I suggest you keep things simple and connect the DVR direct to the Anthem. Set the DVR to "native" output so that it puts out 480i, 720p, and 1080i automatically according to whatever channel you are watching at the moment. That insures the Anthem is doing the heavy lifting for video.
--Bob

That's how i have it now and have always set it up that way. I was a bit paranoid when i read several reports in the 103/105 forums that indicated the superiority of processing via the Oppo versus the users AVR. Anthem was not mentioned specifically as one of those processors.

post #41688 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC485 View Post

Hi, everyone. I'm using MRX300 with power amp. Now want to upgrade to 50v or D2v. If I used it for movie mostly, is 50v already enough for me? Is it big difference between 50v and D2v if movie playback? Thanks~

Oh now that's a tough one, Bob's very diplomatic, but also knowledgeable and as far as I can tell a strait shooter. But I'll add my $0.02.... Which may well be heresy in this thread wink.gif

When I was in college, or maybe I should say starting college, I really "bought into" the whole audiophile thing, I'd read info and reviews on all sorts of things (OK, not cable elevators wink.gif), but I could see the "sense" that brands like Audioquest advertised. As I made it through college and gained the "tools" to evaluate some of those claims a bit better (more scientifically) I realized that the sense they made was because they were not inherently untrue. Things like skin effect do exist and matter, they just don't matter for conductors the size of cables at audio frequencies (in the microwave design the certainly matter).

So with the audiophile shenanigans out of my system (thankfully while I was in college and too poor to afford and have wasted any money on them) I still was a believer in audio quality and quality components. So first thing out of college with my new job and I got my self an AVM20V2 and an MCA50.

Now here comes the heresy part. Although honestly I don't think anyone will really call it that, what I've learned since having these quality components is that I'm not an audiophile. I mean I appreciate good quality audio, and I've got a decent ear (I can tell an MP3 from a FLAC, even at high bitrates depending on content), but that ear, that caring just doesn't extend to things like differences between amps. At one point, when I moved into my house and was setting up my theater I had on hand my MCA50, some Crown XLS602s, and a Sonic Impact T-Amp. Now this is probably largely due to my efficient Klipsch speakers, but I could not tell the difference between any of them. They all sounded great with great source material.

That knowledge set me up for a bit of a dilemma when my trusty AVM20 started showing it's age (HDMI mainly). I really liked my AVM20, the build quality, the support, it's just a well-made, well thought out piece of gear. Having experienced that I "dreaded" the thought of going back to an AVR. At the same time, even the 50V IMO costs too much, though a lot of that comes from the fact that if I wanted a Video Processor I need one much more robust than the one in the Anthems. IMO a ~$3000 "AVM40V" with HDMI passthrough and HD audio support would be about the perfect machine. But alas.

I struggled for a while thought about an MRX, but couldn't get past the mental block of giving up a real AVM for one. Eventually I timed it right and got in on a deal/sale and got myself a 50V. I really like it (though at the same time, the HDMI "peculiarities" are annoying sometimes though I've sorted those 99%).

Now I'm not saying I don't believe the 50V is better, really the reasons I used to convince myself it was "worth" the premium over the MRX is that the ARC implementation is more powerful and the AVM/D series are more upgradeable (as proven by the 3D upgrade I've received). I personally think the D2 is a much tougher sell over the 50V than the 50V over the MRX, the D2V vs the 50V (IIRC) really comes down to the audio component selection and audio upsampling (basically "audiophile" upgrades, and I'm not meaning that in a derogatory way), where as the 50V has more functional benefits. But I think they are all far above average audio quality wise, so you're spending for smaller and smaller differences.

So where am I going with all this? Personally, if I had an MRX, I think I'd stick with it and be happy, and put the money you don't spend on the 50V or D2V into speakers, display, acoustic treatments, media, games, maybe travel, or the bank/investments.
Quote:

^ There have been almost no posts here from folks who did a decent comparison of the 50v vs. the D2v for audio. Keep in mind that to do this you need to spend time to do an ARC setup for each, for example.

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't really want to do a separate ARC setup for each would you? Since each ARC measurement is slightly different due to the nature of audio/acoustics. Wouldn't you want to do the measurement and then just upload the "same" correction (same settings) to both? That way some rogue measurement doesn't influence your comparison one way or another?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #41689 of 43101 Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The problem is that many of the older comparisons out there don't have an ARC setup EITHER WAY. Or have it for one but not the other.

Back in the day, ARC was serial # keyed to the processor, so you couldn't just move the solution from one to the other.
--Bob

post #41690 of 43101 Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 10
Dear Bob and Stanger,

Thanks for your advise. Then I decided to keep my MRX300 wink.gif
post #41691 of 43101 Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC485 View Post

Dear Bob and Stanger,

Thanks for your advise. Then I decided to keep my MRX300 wink.gif

You may be more interested in stepping up to the vey soon to be released updated MRX510 & 710. They will give you an improved ARC implementation, at less than half the price of the 50v. Anthem to make official announcements at CEDIA in the next few days.
Regards, Mike.
post #41692 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anthem have the NEW receivers on their web page. http://www.anthemav.com/

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #41693 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

I just got the OK to reveal that I've been Beta Testing the new MRX 710 for some time. My testing has been focussed on using it in a 2.1 speaker configuration, with a Samsung 1080p plasma.

Of course I've been looking at it from the perspective of a D2v user, and I'd say the first description that comes to mind is "simple". For example, there's no way to configure a specific type of HDMI video output format -- with the sole exception of being able to force Deep Color output to 8-bit even if your Display is willing to accept more.

So you get EITHER (1) video pass-through, meaning your Source and your Display negotiate the video format in use, or (2) automatic video, meaning the MRX finds out what the Display says it wants and sends that -- which includes de-interlacing, upscaling, input to output format conversion, and frame rate conversion if the Display says it wants something different than what's coming in as video input from the Source.

As for audio, the new, ethernet-based ARC works just fine. One highlight of these new MRX units is that they include enough processor power to pretty much duplicate what ARC can accomplish on the AVM 50v and D2v. I don't know if it's fair to see they are entirely up to that level, but there's no longer the obvious difference in correction resources as was true between the D2v and the prior MRX line.

I set the new ARC a particularly tough challenge -- poor speaker positioning (particularly for the Sub) and a listening position deliberately set up off center -- about on-axis with the placement of Left Front, and over near a wall.

The new ARC handled all that just fine; hardly worked up a sweat. Measurement is faster (needs fewer sweep tones each time to lock in) and seems pretty robust -- no network glitches or issues with it rejecting test sweeps.

The new ARC Windows application includes an entirely redone UI. Among other things you can see the Measured curves for each mic location for each speaker. And in Targets, you also get a chart that shows you how the Target curve will change as you enter changes -- i.e., without having to accept the changes first.

They've also added the ability to Print results.

I won't derail this into a 2nd MRX thread, as the bulk of discussion on these three new units should of course go over there.

But if any of the AVM 50v / D2v crowd here have questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

ETA: The new ARC retains the prior simplification for MRX users that MAX EQ Frequency is limited to no higher than 5KHz (which is also the default). You can lower it below that, but not raise it. This eliminates the confusion factor among MRX users as to whether the Measured data higher up than that is accurate enough to be used as a basis for treble correction.
--Bob

post #41694 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post

I use SR-2 Serial Routers to enable multiple device control of RS232 components. wink.gif

I'm seeing some funkiness with my RS232 y-splitter cable, I think I'm gonna swing for one of these now. Thanks again.

Brian
post #41695 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

I just got the OK to reveal that I've been Beta Testing the new MRX 710 for some time. My testing has been focussed on using it in a 2.1 speaker configuration, with a Samsung 1080p plasma.

Of course I've been looking at it from the perspective of a D2v user, and I'd say the first description that comes to mind is "simple". For example, there's no way to configure a specific type of HDMI video output format -- with the sole exception of being able to force Deep Color output to 8-bit even if your Display is willing to accept more.

So you get EITHER (1) video pass-through, meaning your Source and your Display negotiate the video format in use, or (2) automatic video, meaning the MRX finds out what the Display says it wants and sends that -- which includes de-interlacing, upscaling, input to output format conversion, and frame rate conversion if the Display says it wants something different than what's coming in as video input from the Source.

As for audio, the new, ethernet-based ARC works just fine. One highlight of these new MRX units is that they include enough processor power to pretty much duplicate what ARC can accomplish on the AVM 50v and D2v. I don't know if it's fair to see they are entirely up to that level, but there's no longer the obvious difference in correction resources as was true between the D2v and the prior MRX line.

I set the new ARC a particularly tough challenge -- poor speaker positioning (particularly for the Sub) and a listing position deliberately set up off center -- about on-axis with the placement of Left Front, and over near a wall.

The new ARC handled all that just fine; hardly worked up a sweat. Measurement is faster (needs fewer sweep tones each time to lock in) and seems pretty robust -- no network glitches or issues with it rejecting test sweeps.

The new ARC Windows application includes an entirely redone UI. Among other things you can see the Measured curves for each mic location for each speaker. And in Targets, you also get a chart that shows you how the Target curve will change as you enter changes -- i.e., without having to accept the changes first.

They've also added the ability to Print results.

I won't derail this into a 2nd MRX thread, as the bulk of discussion on these three new units should of course go over there.

But if any of the AVM 50v / D2v crowd here have questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

ETA: The new ARC retains the prior simplification for MRX users that MAX EQ Frequency is limited to no higher than 5KHz (which is also the default). You can lower it below that, but not raise it. This eliminates the confusion factor among MRX users as to whether the Measured data higher up than that is accurate enough to be used as a basis for treble correction.
--Bob

Thanks Bob,

appreciate the updates. Did you notice any silence/popping, even at a low volume, with the new versions when playing Redbook CDs over a digital input?

Wouldn't mind seeing some screen captures of the new ARC software ;-)

Cheers.
post #41696 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Not specifically with respect to CD playback (or any audio format for that matter). However I'm having some HDMI reliability problems between an OPPO 80 and the MRX 710. It is almost certainly a marginal HDMI cable, but we've deliberately not swapped that out for testing purposes -- i.e., does new MRX firmware handle it any better.

Although I'm comfortable talking about my testing results, I don't think I should post any screen shots just yet. Anthem deserves the courtesy of being allowed to be the first to publish such stuff -- in case there are any last minute changes in the graphics.
--Bob

post #41697 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

--Bob

YOU NEED TO START the MRX 310 - 510 -710 THREAD
AVfile likes this.
post #41698 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

Who me?

post #41699 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

Who me?

YES YOU MUST START THE THREAD
post #41700 of 43101 Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Seriously, no. The thread really should be handled by someone who intends to use the MRX as their primary system.
--Bob

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page