Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1399 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #41941 of 42942 Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great post, DM.
Knew those subs could do a whole lot better than originally shown.
He should send you a very nice Christmas present.
As stated by you, most people do not get multiple subs right. They get LESS than a single sub would produce at a lot more money, UNLESS.........
TJG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41942 of 42942 Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

^ It's flat to 20 Hz now, so he probably already has. Not sure what more can he gain?

Before something must have been seriously messed up. Subs producing 70 dB at 300 Hz eek.gif

Paradigm Sub 1 is capable of substantial output below 20 HZ. Sub 1 has output rated to 12 HZ
post #41943 of 42942 Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Glad it worked out Max:) ... Just make sure you don't touch that phase knob or take note of its setting for future reference. I believe Phase mis-alignment in setups using multiple subs is more common than what most people would like to admit. The diligent make the effort to optimize their system for best performance.

Cheers. I'll be looking for a new house soon. When I do that, I'll spend a fair whack of time re-locating and configuring the subs then I'll make damn sure that the room gets treated (acoustic panels, bass traps) properly.

I'd been running this gear with a Marantz AV7005 and was never happy with the sound. The Audyssey did an ok job which sounded great to everyone else but I knew there was better sound to be found. ARC was definitely the answer.

I watched a movie last night and was staggered at the sound improvements.
post #41944 of 42942 Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG55 View Post

Great post, DM.
Knew those subs could do a whole lot better than originally shown.
He should send you a very nice Christmas present.
As stated by you, most people do not get multiple subs right. They get LESS than a single sub would produce at a lot more money, UNLESS.........
TJG

Tru dat! Tru dat! Tru dat! :)... Max's subs now look superb indeed!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #41945 of 42942 Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Technoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Glad it worked out Max:) ... Just make sure you don't touch that phase knob or take note of its setting for future reference. I believe Phase mis-alignment in setups using multiple subs is more common than what most people would like to admit. The diligent make the effort to optimize their system for best performance.

Cheers. I'll be looking for a new house soon. When I do that, I'll spend a fair whack of time re-locating and configuring the subs then I'll make damn sure that the room gets treated (acoustic panels, bass traps) properly.

I'd been running this gear with a Marantz AV7005 and was never happy with the sound. The Audyssey did an ok job which sounded great to everyone else but I knew there was better sound to be found. ARC was definitely the answer.

So you found ARC better than Audyssey? Cool... Now next time you do ARC, make sure you have set the reference audio level in the setup menu to produce a 75dB spl level (Setup Menu -> Level Calibration -> Test Level). Your plots are set to 70dB. No big deal for you'll have to compensate using your volume knob for now.

I believe the 75dB is the reference level that corresponds to a volume level of -10dB. In your case, you will end up turning the knob to -5dB to get the equivalent 75dB spl, all things being equal.

Your sub plots look cool indeed, if I may say so myself. Way better than my Sunfire subs for sure.

Max Technoe likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #41946 of 42942 Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 PM

have just purchesed a dune hd base medieplayer. Everything is working fin. But i do have one issue. Dune player is outputting bitstream. Three times when the movie or concert i starting ( i have it for two days ), yhere is comming a loud hishh...scratch sound from the speakers. I can see on the on screen display from the anthem ( avm50v firmvare 3.09f) that it is not detecting the probber audio. svitch to dolby stereo and back to dts or dolby digital solves the problem. I have tried to set the digital auto on the source setup to on and off. But that have not solved the problem. Any thoughts?

Peter
Denmark
post #41947 of 42942 Old 11-08-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by 'set channel level trim to -1.5'.

Go into the set-up menu>LEVEL CALIBRATION.
Set NOISE SEQUENCE to MANUAL. Go down to TEST LEVEL. This will send the test signal to the LF speaker. Using your SPL meter (set to C-weight/Slow) at the main listening position, set the level so that the the SPL meter is reading 75dB.
Then go down to the MOVIE SUB and, using the sub's volume knob, set it to 75dB. If you have 2 subs, set them to 72dB each. These two adjustments are all that need to be done before running ARC. Leave the TEST LEVEL at whatever setting that it took to get it to 75dB.lh8uQf
ARC will adjust each individual speaker level according to what the mic hears at the mlp. Depending on the distance and type of speaker ARC may set the trim on each separate speaker differently.
For example: LF -0.5 : C +0.5: RF -1.0 : RS +1.5 : LS +2.5 : MOV SUB -2.0
DO NOT CHNGE THESE SETTING !! These trims for each speaker is what ARC has set. DO NOT TOUCH.

You will also need to accurately measure the speaker distances, but the measurements can be input before or after ARC is run. But they must be put in by you. ARC does not set speaker distances.

Tom

Great set up instructions
I would add one item.
Make sure you ZERO all the speakers before starting. Especially the sub as you will use the subs volume control.

post #41948 of 42942 Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It has been a long time since I have attach files so I hope they are all there, should be three attachments, these are the curves from just running ARC since get the keyspan adapter as well as the new front speakers aerial 7t's, as you can see the curves for the left and right don't look to good on the bottom end and I been a bit disappointed from the listening standpoint with the bottom end thought it should be much better than it sounds, so I'm hoping that someone might have some ideas as to what might be wrong.

curves for Nov 8.jpg 506k .jpg file curves_1 Nov 8.jpg 215k .jpg file targets nov8.jpg 197k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curves for Nov 8.jpg (506.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg curves_1 Nov 8.jpg (215.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg targets nov8.jpg (196.7 KB, 21 views)
post #41949 of 42942 Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post

It has been a long time since I have attach files so I hope they are all there, should be three attachments, these are the curves from just running ARC since get the keyspan adapter as well as the new front speakers aerial 7t's, as you can see the curves for the left and right don't look to good on the bottom end and I been a bit disappointed from the listening standpoint with the bottom end thought it should be much better than it sounds, so I'm hoping that someone might have some ideas as to what might be wrong.

curves for Nov 8.jpg 506k .jpg file curves_1 Nov 8.jpg 215k .jpg file targets nov8.jpg 197k .jpg file

Your left/right speakers are fine on the low end. I would play with the toe-in to get better high-frequency response.

I would set the subwoofer HPF from Auto to FLAT. The low end response will be flattened out as much as the room response would allow.

How does it sound in the Music mode? Do you like your low-end response...

post #41950 of 42942 Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Your charts, for your speakers, look good. The concern that I have is for your sub. First, check to make sure you have all crossovers and filters disabled on your sub. If you do have everything disabled and if you have the option of moving your sub around, you should try a new location to try to get a smoother response. You want ARC to set the cutoff for your sub to 120. Right now, ARC has set yours to 85. As for setting your sub to FLAT, DON'T DO THAT because your sub is only playing down to 30Hz. You should only set your sub to FLAT if your sub can play good down to 20Hz and below and has built-in protection. So, I would suggest for now to play around with different sub locations if you can. You can use Quick Measure (QM) to help you find a better location with your sub. If you do find a better sub location, then you will have to rerun ARC to get a new measurement. If you don't find a better location for your sub, then you will have to re-upload your current ARC measurements because QM will reset your current ARC settings to zero.

I hope this was helpful. Please report back on the results and then we can try other options if needed.
post #41951 of 42942 Old 11-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Okay I have redone the measurements, I turned off the room resonance filter in the D2 and changed the Q control setting on the Monitor Audio FB212 (i have 2 of them) and reran everything the curve has changed but arc is setting the crossover to 90, changing the HPF to flat, should that be done before measuring as it appears to always default to Auto when you open arc. Keep the help coming it is much appreciated, as far as moving the location of the subs that is pretty much impossible as all cable were run under the floors and the ceiling underneath are all finish so this is where they are going to live.

subcurves_nov9.jpg 219k .jpg file curves_1 Nov 8.jpg 215k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subcurves_nov9.jpg (218.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg curves_1 Nov 8.jpg (215.5 KB, 10 views)
post #41952 of 42942 Old 11-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 772
^ Room Resonance filter is one of he legacy settings that is ignored when using ARC -- both during Measurement and afterwards when listening to any Source that has ARC enabled. Similarly Center EQ, LFE Bypass, THX Ultra 2 sub, and sub Boundary Gain compensation are ignored while using ARC, because ARC is already handling all that. If you turn ARC Off in any Setup > Source Setup, then those legacy settings come back into effect for that Source -- i.e., until you turn ARC back on for that Source.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #41953 of 42942 Old 11-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.las View Post

have just purchesed a dune hd base medieplayer. Everything is working fin. But i do have one issue. Dune player is outputting bitstream. Three times when the movie or concert i starting ( i have it for two days ), yhere is comming a loud hishh...scratch sound from the speakers. I can see on the on screen display from the anthem ( avm50v firmvare 3.09f) that it is not detecting the probber audio. svitch to dolby stereo and back to dts or dolby digital solves the problem. I have tried to set the digital auto on the source setup to on and off. But that have not solved the problem. Any thoughts?

Have tryed difference things. But whitout any result. If i pause the player, the Sound changes from hish/burst , to only hish.....Sound like it is coming from the left front speaker. It's Sounds like the anthem have hard to deteckt the signal....maby. Just and idea. At the moment i only have dvd concerts on my NA's, and af few bluray trailer and thx comercials. All the time , when the issue has been there, it not ones have been hd audio content.

Peter
Denmark
post #41954 of 42942 Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Okay I have redone the measurements, I turned off the room resonance filter in the D2 and changed the Q control setting on the Monitor Audio FB212 (i have 2 of them) and reran everything the curve has changed but arc is setting the crossover to 90, changing the HPF to flat, should that be done before measuring as it appears to always default to Auto when you open arc. Keep the help coming it is much appreciated, as far as moving the location of the subs that is pretty much impossible as all cable were run under the floors and the ceiling underneath are all finish so this is where they are going to live.

subcurves_nov9.jpg 219k .jpg file curves_1 Nov 8.jpg 215k .jpg file
Since you can't move your sub, then you will have to live with what you have. You shouldn't use the Flat setting for your sub based on the raw measurement (red). The frequency for your sub is dropping at 30Hz. In order to use the Flat setting, your sub would need to 1) Measure down to and play below 20Hz 2) Have built-in protection. The built-in protection is needed because ARC will not roll off any low frequencies for your sub. ARC will send all of the low frequencies to your sub and depend on your sub to protect itself. So, if your sub has built-in protection, then your sub will know how low it can play and it will not try to play any frequencies below its' limit. If your sub doesn't have built-in protection and you set your sub to Flat, then it's possible that you will damage your sub because your sub will try to play the low frequencies beyond its' capabilities.
post #41955 of 42942 Old 11-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.las View Post

Have tryed difference things. But whitout any result. If i pause the player, the Sound changes from hish/burst , to only hish.....Sound like it is coming from the left front speaker. It's Sounds like the anthem have hard to deteckt the signal....maby. Just and idea. At the moment i only have dvd concerts on my NA's, and af few bluray trailer and thx comercials. All the time , when the issue has been there, it not ones have been hd audio content.

It sounds like it could be a HDMI-CEC handshake problem. Make sure that any CEC feature in the Dune is turned off.
CEC is often not labeled clearly as CEC. Any feature in the Dune's setup that that references 'automatically turning on/enabling' another component should be turned off.
You could also set the Dune to pcm output and see if this cures the problem.
Hope this helps.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #41956 of 42942 Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^
I re-read your posts, and I don't think its a CEC problem.
But I would definitely try setting the Dune to PCM and see if that helps.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #41957 of 42942 Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Technoe View Post

Audyssey Pro(which is a paid upgrade you need to do) is more on par with Anthem's ARC. So it's not surprising to hear ARC did a better job.

post #41958 of 42942 Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 11
I fired up my DV2 after a long time and the oppo would not output any sound or picture so I switched source to cable again no sound or picture.I have a sat connected via component and I would get sound but no picture.I connected it to another TV but again the same thing.I tried HDMI 2 out but the same thing.The only thing I have not tried is to get another HDMI cable.Initially I could see the lettering which showed which source was selected but no actual picture indication at least some signal was passing thru.Am not sure if there is a problem with the Anthem itself or not.If anybody has any ideas please help!I will get a long enough HDMI cable and try again tomorrow.I also tried disconnecting it from the power to see if it would reset itself but no go. Thanks
(I mistakenly started a new thread) so this is a re post. Hopefully the mods can remove the other thread.
post #41959 of 42942 Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post

I fired up my DV2 after a long time and the oppo would not output any sound or picture so I switched source to cable again no sound or picture.I have a sat connected via component and I would get sound but no picture.I connected it to another TV but again the same thing.I tried HDMI 2 out but the same thing.The only thing I have not tried is to get another HDMI cable.Initially I could see the lettering which showed which source was selected but no actual picture indication at least some signal was passing thru.Am not sure if there is a problem with the Anthem itself or not.If anybody has any ideas please help!I will get a long enough HDMI cable and try again tomorrow.I also tried disconnecting it from the power to see if it would reset itself but no go. Thanks
(I mistakenly started a new thread) so this is a re post. Hopefully the mods can remove the other thread.

HDMI 1 out can you get the on screen graphics generated by the D2v?

Texas Steve
post #41960 of 42942 Old 11-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Initially it did but it was connected to my projector via HDbase switch so I connected it directly to a small TV with HDMI in port now I do not get anything.The display on the DV2 sows the correct source and audio output .
post #41961 of 42942 Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking at upgrading my oppo bdp83 to either the 103 or 103D. Is there any advantage in using the Darbee version of the oppo with the D2v? My tv is the pioneer pro-151.

Thanks

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #41962 of 42942 Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The benefits of the Darbee has been debated endlessly in the 103D and Darbee threads. It comes down to personal taste and equipment in use. I use an external Darbee with my D2v and JVC projector and think it is worth it. There is nothing in the D2v video processor similar to its processing.
post #41963 of 42942 Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 110
If you want Darbee functionality, I think it's better to have it standalone or in a video processor, that way it can be applied to all your sources. Probably the best implementation I'm aware of is Lumagen has it in their new VPs. Having it in the VP allows having different Darbee settings for each source/resolution and having those settings changed automatically.

That said, if you're getting a Oppo, the Darbee edition is the cheapest way to get the functionality, $100 premium vs ~$300 for a Darblet, vs more for a Lumagen. Of course the later have the benefits listed above.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #41964 of 42942 Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post

It turns out my user settings were messed up.I reset to factory defaults and the picture came back.I have had to reprogram all the sources and now it has the picture and sound.I am not sure what went wrong.I checked all the user settings before erasing them and they seemed to be all ok.Very strange ,if any body has any ideas please let me know.I am not sure if it will keep my new settings or not.I have not upgraded the firmware to the latest one,it is still on the original one which came with the unit and had been doing well.
post #41965 of 42942 Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
First step of firmware upgrade is to load factory defaults. Do it now before you waste more time.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #41966 of 42942 Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Learnt it the hard way! and after much anguish!
post #41967 of 42942 Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I meant do the firmware upgrade.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #41968 of 42942 Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM

After running problem free this past year on the release version of 3.09 I thought I'd update my D2V 3D to 3.10. The installation completed successfully but after reloading my user settings, I had no input signal from my two HDMI sources, nor any HDMI output signal to my projector. I went through my settings several times and they were all as originally set up. I reinstalled 3.10 with the same result. I did have the input signal from my music player on a D2V coax input.
I could not see any video output to the projector, including the Anthem menu's, from either the factory default or my user settings.
Fortunately, I was able to reinstall the release version of 3.09 and everything is back.
Any ideas why 3.10 won't run?

Thanks!
post #41969 of 42942 Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 772
^ Bizarre! I was about to suggest you knocked your HDMI plugs loose while fiddling with the Serial cable, but then you said that going back to v3.09 fixed it.

If you want to try again, leave the D2v/3D on Factory Defaults after the install (you have to Reset Factory Defaults prior to the install), and just make the minimum necessary manual setting changes (via the Front Panel Display) to see if you can get video. If so, it is possible your saved Setup settings are corrupted. Continue re-entering your settings manually and see if you can get everything working again that way. Then Save those settings to overwrite the corrupted version.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #41970 of 42942 Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 PM

Bob,
I actually had the HDMI cables disconnected during the update and carefully reconnected them. I checked them several times during troubleshooting to ensure they were connected and also tried changing them to different HDMI in-sockets, along with the corresponding source setup, to no avail.
I did try setting up my Oppo in the default DVD1 setting, but still no luck with seeing the input or showing any menu items on my display.
I'll give Anthem tech support a call and see what they think.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page