10Likes

post #42571 of 43240 Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post

I know it has been a while since I last posted about the D2v problems I have been having. There was an issue with the D2v 3D not playing proper 7.1 audio from my HTPC. I have chalked that up to a faulty video board. A replacement board is enroute I am told. However, a new problem has arisen. Now it seems I am having HDMI handshake issues.

I will be changing some of the settings in the video configuration (the color output to 4:4:4 and changing the output to 8-bit). I guess the question is, why is this happening now? It was working perfectly and then just started going bad. I have firmware 3.09H installed, but I have had that installed for weeks without issue and then all of the sudden these random handshake issues. I am also going to try and switch back to an old firmware, probably 2.11x or something, but is that okay to re-install an old 2.x firmware even with the 3D board upgrade?

I am a bit frustrated TBH. I guess in the end I may have to buy new HDMI cables, but it is rather random that this is all happening now when it was working perfectly for weeks without issue.

EDIT: Well it looks like resetting to factory defaults and completely reconfiguring all the video settings have fixed the issue. Set the output to 8-bit and YBrCr 4:4:4. So far no video going out for the past few hours and switching sources is working as it should. My daughter is insanely happy because now she gets to watch Despicable Me 2 straight through without the video going out smile.gif

Well it looks like this problem has crept up again. I am getting really frustrated. It seems to be a video switching issue with the D2v. I did a test with my cable box and set it to output only 720p video, that seemed to fix it, but it is still very annoying that the D2v will now recognize 1080i properly. Or at least that seems to be what is happening. Did the 3D board really cause all these problems? If so, Anthem needs to get their crap together because I really have mainstream components and I am tired of having all these issues.

I will be honest, I am almost to the point of selling the D2v and buying the new Emotiva pre-pro, at least then I know I will get better CS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42572 of 43240 Old 03-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hi Bob,

I'm really careful about trying to have a controlled debugging environment when having an issue. In this case everything is a home run as follows:

Bluray to Anthem direct. I've tried 3, 6, and 8 foot high speed cables.

Anthem direct to Panasonic ZT60 Plasma with a 20 foot Redmere cable. I also ordered and used a brand new 15 foot Redmere 18gbps cable. Thus, end to end, only the anthem is between the bluray and the ZT60.

This is incredibly frustrating for me but I'm willing to be methodical and try and do what's what to get it figured out. The Anthem should obviously handle this without issue. But if it isn't then I may have a symptom of a deeper issue. I still need to test performance and behavior on ports 3 and 4. I just haven't had a breath to switch the source settings. If I can do so tonight I will.

Bob, anytime you give attention to a post, it's appreciated. I'm sure some of this can seem mundane. But I'm really perplexed on this.

post #42573 of 43240 Old 03-23-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having an issue with my AVM 50v since I upgraded to firmware version 3.09. If I switch from a HD channel to a SD channel, either live or recorded, I lose the sound. If I switch to a different input on the AVM50v and back, the autio comes back but the video is pink. Powering the TV on and off restores the video. I'm using a DirecTV Genie box as input. Any ideas why this might be happening?
post #42574 of 43240 Old 03-24-2014, 07:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 906
^ The Shocking Pink video is due to a handshake failure -- confusion as to whether YCbCr or RGB data format is in use (if the error goes the other way then then video is Ghastly Green). The usual fix is to make sure your Source output and Anthem output are both set to an explicit data format (usually YCbCr 4:4:4) instead of AUTO to simplify the handshake. The audio issue is tougher, so I'd suggest you tackle the video first and see if cleaning up that handshake also fixes the audio.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #42575 of 43240 Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

THXTHEATER,
I don't have any additional suggestions for you besides what you already have on your list to try. Keep in mind that even high quality cable can exhibit problems if, for example, your particular cable has a poorer mechanical fit of plug in socket.

Just to state the obvious, remember that the Redmere cables are directional. You have to plug them in the right way around.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #42576 of 43240 Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The Shocking Pink video is due to a handshake failure -- confusion as to whether YCbCr or RGB data format is in use (if the error goes the other way then then video is Ghastly Green). The usual fix is to make sure your Source output and Anthem output are both set to an explicit data format (usually YCbCr 4:4:4) instead of AUTO to simplify the handshake. The audio issue is tougher, so I'd suggest you tackle the video first and see if cleaning up that handshake also fixes the audio.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. The audio is the bigger issue issue and it seems to have something to do with switching from a Dolby Digital HD broadcast to a PCM SD broadcast. If I switch from any HD channel with DD to any SD channel with PCM, I have no audio. At that point, when I go back and forth between the same 2 channels, there is no sound on the SD PCM channel. If I switch to a different DD HD channel and then back to the original PCM SD channel, the audio comes back.
post #42577 of 43240 Old 03-25-2014, 05:38 AM

I have many questions before buying a used anthem d2v or D2 with ARC and need help.

My main priority is Blu-ray movies sound quality. Don't care about 3D and I like to listen 2 channels classic music sometime. I would like to know if there is a difference in sound with the d2v vs D2, Bitstream or PCM with my oppo bdp-83 and high end format dts-hd master and Dolby true hd.

My system...
- Pioneer elite 141fd
- ascend sierra tower in front
- ascend sierra 1 for back
- svs pb13 ultra
- gik acoustics panels with bass traps
- oppo bdp 83
- emotiva xpa-5 amp

I would like to get the D2v over the avm50v because of the good reviews of the upsampling 24/192kh but never had the chance to experience the difference.

Any thoughts on this I will appreciate.
Thanks

Edit: I know d2 doesn't have 36 bit deep color but I don't use it anyway with my elite, I set the color space setting recommend by DNICE, 4:2:2.
post #42578 of 43240 Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

Starting to research the AVM50v3D.

At this point I have several questions:

1) Does it have HDMI switching?
2) How soon before this unit is replaced?
3)How user friendly is the OSD?
4)Does it do 7.1 processing, DD True 7.1 and DTS HD MA 7.1? or only 5.1?
Thank you

Rob
post #42579 of 43240 Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post

Hello

Starting to research the AVM50v3D.

At this point I have several questions:

1) Does it have HDMI switching?
2) How soon before this unit is replaced?
3)How user friendly is the OSD?
4)Does it do 7.1 processing, DD True 7.1 and DTS HD MA 7.1? or only 5.1?
Thank you

Rob

Rob, I'll let others chime in too but to answer your questions:

1) yes it does plus dual HDMI outputs
2) unknown; if and when it is replaced the major difference you will likely see is UHD scaling and some sort of HDMI 2.0 support.
3) very friendly and lots of power and configuration options
4) yes indeed, will also process 5.1 signals to 7.1 and has some of the best room correction in the industry.

post #42580 of 43240 Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
3. The OSD (video status overlay) is nice, but in 3D (passthru mode) you don't get it. As for the SETUP menu, it looks like a 1990's VCR style plain text interface. Nothing fancy but it is very comprehensive.

Some of the remote controls such as having to hold the menu button for several seconds to bring up SETUP, or "7" to bring up the video processor menu are laughable. Also the remote feels cheap compared to the all-metal front panel buttons which are a joy to use.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #42581 of 43240 Old 03-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

I had a problem with my D2v that required me to replace an HDMI cord to my display. In figuring this out, going in and out of setup, I lost my on screen info display. I can still get into an display setup but the info that is displayed while changing sources or volumes is gone.

I know it must be simple, but I'm a dummy. Please help.
post #42582 of 43240 Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Make sure you are plugged into the upper HDMI output socket. Only that one has the on-screen displays.

If that's not it check Setup > Displays / Timeouts against the defaults shown in the picture in the Manual (section 3.12).
--Bob

post #42583 of 43240 Old 03-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

^ Bob after I read your post I new that was it. When testing HDMI cables I plugged the new good one into the lower socket.

You're invaluable to the avsforum.

Thanks
post #42584 of 43240 Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Liked: 17

Need some opinions on my 8 year old or so D2. Just in the process of upgrading house to complete control4 system and building a dedicated home theatre in the basement. My question is over the years the D2 has had hand shake problems with HDMI and seams to be getting worse. I'm told because of the ever changing world of HDMI that the Statement is out dated and just can't handle speed and tech of todays HDMI. This has been told to me by both dealers I'm looking at and they say it will drive me up the wall with how control4 works. As its not easy to cycle just D2 on/off using a control4 touch screen. And I have found thats only way to fix handshake problem. So my question is should I scrap D2 as my whole house head unit in favour of a new Receiver that can do way more? I love the audio side and surround of D2 but they are right video side is a Pain in the ass. I have been told to go to Pioneer sc79 or Marantz or Yamaha. 

Any help or insight? 

Note it does have update 1.33 in it. 

post #42585 of 43240 Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTHX View Post

Need some opinions on my 8 year old or so D2. Just in the process of upgrading house to complete control4 system and building a dedicated home theatre in the basement. My question is over the years the D2 has had hand shake problems with HDMI and seams to be getting worse. I'm told because of the ever changing world of HDMI that the Statement is out dated and just can't handle speed and tech of todays HDMI. This has been told to me by both dealers I'm looking at and they say it will drive me up the wall with how control4 works. As its not easy to cycle just D2 on/off using a control4 touch screen. And I have found thats only way to fix handshake problem. So my question is should I scrap D2 as my whole house head unit in favour of a new Receiver that can do way more? I love the audio side and surround of D2 but they are right video side is a Pain in the ass. I have been told to go to Pioneer sc79 or Marantz or Yamaha. 

Any help or insight? 

Before you scrap your D2 you should try firmware v1.47f available on the Anthem Tech password protected page. Contact Anthem tech for the password, or they may just be able to email you the firmware.
Firmware v1.47f was made to fix handshake issues. I don't know if it will fix your problems, but it might be worth a try.
If the v1.47f doesn't work there is a product called 'Dr. HDMI' which some of the posters here use which may help. Someone here may be able to tell you more about that.

Speaking from personal experience, once you have gotten used to the audio quality of Anthem statement products you probably won't be satisfied with brands P, M or Y.

Are you using 'auto' settings in the D2 setup for video (color space, resolution, etc.) or in your source's setup?? Handshaking issues are often caused, or made worse, by using 'auto' in the video setup.

Just out of curiosity, do the dealers you mentioned happen to sell P, M and Y ?? I'm sure they would have no reason to want to sell you a new receiver rolleyes.gif
Just saying,

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #42586 of 43240 Old 03-29-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Before you scrap your D2 you should try firmware v1.47f available on the Anthem Tech password protected page. Contact Anthem tech for the password, or they may just be able to email you the firmware.
Firmware v1.47f was made to fix handshake issues. I don't know if it will fix your problems, but it might be worth a try.
If the v1.47f doesn't work there is a product called 'Dr. HDMI' which some of the posters here use which may help. Someone here may be able to tell you more about that.

Speaking from personal experience, once you have gotten used to the audio quality of Anthem statement products you probably won't be satisfied with brands P, M or Y.

Are you using 'auto' settings in the D2 setup for video (color space, resolution, etc.) or in your source's setup?? Handshaking issues are often caused, or made worse, by using 'auto' in the video setup.

Just out of curiosity, do the dealers you mentioned happen to sell P, M and Y ?? I'm sure they would have no reason to want to sell you a new receiver rolleyes.gif
Just saying,

Tom

I will give the firmware update a try, I have tried auto and manual in the past. Right now I just have D2 set up in theatre area for music while building, so I can't even see if a firmware update will fix problem. May have to do update and play the wait and see game. The one dealer that said either M or Y is where I bought Anthem from and they still sell them. But say they have no real fixes for hand shake problems.

post #42587 of 43240 Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will give the firmware update a try, I have tried auto and manual in the past. Right now I just have D2 set up in theatre area for music while building, so I can't even see if a firmware update will fix problem. May have to do update and play the wait and see game. The one dealer that said either M or Y is where I bought Anthem from and they still sell them. But say they have no real fixes for hand shake problems.

Consider getting a dedicated video processor like a Radiance 2021 and just use the D2 for audio. The Lumagen processors (for example) aren't cheap but neither is building a dedicated room with control4. They are well supported on the firmware side.

- AVStefan
post #42588 of 43240 Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any help or insight? 

You should definitely try Dr. HDMI. it's fixed HDMI issues for me with my Anthem AVM50v in the mix. Whether you need just one between the D2 and display or more than one--between D2 and individual sources too--remains to be seen. For $99 you can't go wrong. It's the only thing that worked for me. I have so many HDMI cables now from debugging I'm going to setup shop as a mono price competitor biggrin.gif

These links helped me:
http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2014/01/reporting-back-on-fixing-my-apple-tv.html
And
http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2013/12/the-fix-for-appletv-hdmi-woes-and-hdmi.html?m=1

post #42589 of 43240 Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of HDMI issues, I haven't had a chance to test out my other HDMI banks and after I do that I'm going to see if this is another EDID-related issue. I am of the opinion that I don't have an HDMI-cabling issue. Aside from the fact that I've changed cables several times, I came across this note from the HDMI licensing group:

Q. Can HDMI cables contribute to devices not working properly together?
The vast majority of image quality or interoperability issues with HDMI devices are related to the software (firmware) used for device communication and content protection, and have nothing to do with the HDMI cable. In particular, these issues are often caused by the software related to HDCP handshaking, or from devices improperly handling the device capability information read through HDMI (e.g. the device has an incorrect EDID, or an inability to properly read an EDID). It is fairly uncommon for the cable to be the cause of HDMI compatibility problems. In fact, the robustness of the HDMI specification has been verified by the fact that we have not found a compliant HDMI cable that is the root cause of HDMI playback issues with compliant devices.

After I test out the banks, I'm also going to see about putting the HDMI doctor in the mix and see if that helps at all with the 3D Bluray situation.

post #42590 of 43240 Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

I had problems with my D2 correctly handshaking with my original AppleTV years ago. The AppleTV would constantly lose lock on the audio signal and I would get occasional distorted video. I contacted Anthem and got the link to the 1.47f firmware. That made a huge difference and I've been running that for 3 years now. That AppleTV has since been replaced by an AppleTV 2 and then an AppleTV 3. I've not had any HDMI handshaking issues with any other devices. I would strongly encourage anyone running the original D2 to install the 1.47f firmware.
post #42591 of 43240 Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

I had problems with my D2 correctly handshaking with my original AppleTV years ago. The AppleTV would constantly lose lock on the audio signal and I would get occasional distorted video. I contacted Anthem and got the link to the 1.47f firmware. That made a huge difference and I've been running that for 3 years now. That AppleTV has since been replaced by an AppleTV 2 and then an AppleTV 3. I've not had any HDMI handshaking issues with any other devices. I would strongly encourage anyone running the original D2 to install the 1.47f firmware.

I will contact Anthem tomorrow about getting firmware update. I have never had Audio handshake problem, have always been video. I get either a screen of snow or half screen snow and top half flashing image on and off with colors all screwed up.

post #42592 of 43240 Old 03-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

The 3D saga continues. This time, I have 3D and deep color working flawlessly. Why is it sufdenly working? Frankly I'm not 100% sure but let me report back:

First, I tried all 4 top ports with no significant luck. I did not change any HDMI cables as I'm convinced it's not a cable issue. I kept my 3 foot high speed from source to Anthem and the. 20 foot Redmere from anthem to source in place.

Secondly, I started manually setting/enforcing certain settings on the player from auto to set values. I forced color space to 4:2:2. I forced Deep Color to 16-bit. I forced output resolution to "original resolution". I had previously set screen size to 60" and TV type to 16:9 and kept those values.

I played some Avengers in 3D with no issues and likewise no issues with the main Sony 3D bluray menu.

I never used the Dr. HDMI between anything.

After all that I must say I'm incredibly perplexed as to why there were issues and suddenly there are not. Is the Anthem creating some sort of issue with the TV and player determining setting to negotiate a proper handshake? I just don't know. Well that's where it stands for now. I'm not inclined to fool around with the settings too much but it's working smile.gif anyone have any thoughts on this?

post #42593 of 43240 Old 03-30-2014, 02:00 PM

So I'm able to get XBMC Gotham beta to bitstream my ripped MKV's it seems. However, what I don't understand is why the Anthem D2v 3D always says 7.1 PCM when I'm playing an HD audio ripped bluray. In particular, how does a 5.1 DTS HDMA track show up a 7.1 PCM? Previously, when I was using FFDSHOW and MPC-HC, I was getting DTS HDMA or Dolby True HD coming up on the D2v. Now, since I can only seem to get HD audio using beta XBMC, I am now getting 7.1 PCM for any HD audio track. Is this correct and am I really getting the HD audio track if my D2v isn't showing the lossless track properly on the display but 7.1 PCM instead? However, when I play Transformers in DTS HDMA, I am not getting sound in the rear surround speakers so I'm obviously not getting the full lossless track.

XBMC has an Audio Output Device setting and a Passthrough Device setting. I have WSAPI DEFAULT as the Audio Output device and D2v WSAPI as the Passthrough Device so I a assume this is correct. And I only get 7.1 PCM if the channels in XMBC audio settings is set for 7.1.

Any help/commnets is much appreciated.
post #42594 of 43240 Old 03-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic View Post

So I'm able to get XBMC Gotham beta to bitstream my ripped MKV's it seems. However, what I don't understand is why the Anthem D2v 3D always says 7.1 PCM when I'm playing an HD audio ripped bluray. In particular, how does a 5.1 DTS HDMA track show up a 7.1 PCM? Previously, when I was using FFDSHOW and MPC-HC, I was getting DTS HDMA or Dolby True HD coming up on the D2v. Now, since I can only seem to get HD audio using beta XBMC, I am now getting 7.1 PCM for any HD audio track. Is this correct and am I really getting the HD audio track if my D2v isn't showing the lossless track properly on the display but 7.1 PCM instead? However, when I play Transformers in DTS HDMA, I am not getting sound in the rear surround speakers so I'm obviously not getting the full lossless track.

Any help/commnets is much appreciated.

I'm going to stretch a bit out of my area of expertise on the ripped files. The obvious is that for the Anthem to show Dolby True HD, etc, my recollection is that this needs to be decoded in the Anthem and not in the player/source. If it's decoded in the player/source then it sends a PCM stream to the Anthem. Otherwise it's the original bitstream. My question is that if you're dealing with ripped content, are you sure that the audio isn't being converted to PCM when it's ripped?

When I'm sending audio from my Mac Mini via HDMI, it always shows 7.1 regardless of the source audio because I've configured it to send multichannel and not just stereo audio. I'm wondering what hardware you're using for your XBMC server. It may be the hardware/PC vs. the XBMC software.

post #42595 of 43240 Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the response.

I'm using an AMD 7970 with latest drivers over HDMI. I'm using Windows 8 64 bit running XBMC Gotham 32 bit. I know my Bluray MKV rips have the full lossless tracks because my WDTV plays the same files and the D2v shows Dolby True HD or DTS HDMA when they play. I just can't figure out why XBMC Gotham does not seem to send the bitstream in the same manner as the WDTV. I have tried all sorts of combinations for Audio Output and Audio Passthrough device but it does not change the 7.1PCM. I have tried changing Auto Dig from YES to NO and vice versa but does not make a difference. The source input audio, when pressing 7/On Screen on the D2v, shows 8.1 audio being sent but the surround rears are not engaged.

Thanks again.
post #42596 of 43240 Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM

@MStanic

Have you combed the xbmc forums for similar problems/fixes ? I've been wading through endless posts (...still working on the Quad issue mad.gif), and many folks have wrestled with HD Audio passthru problems.

Unfortunately I don't have a Windows-specific thread to point to; using OpenELEC - a Linux deriviative - I've not focused on Windows details.

As you may be aware, the audio side of xbmc was completely rewritten for Gotham - ActiveAE - and if all else fails, you could raise your issue here -> Testing audio engine ActiveAE. You'll get a response from the devs who built ActiveAE.

Good Luck.
post #42597 of 43240 Old 03-31-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
FWIW, I've had good luck with OpeneELEC (both the stable and new Gotham betas) on my Intel HTPC.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #42598 of 43240 Old 04-01-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Why is it sufdenly working?

Secondly, I started manually setting/enforcing certain settings on the player from auto to set values. I forced color space to 4:2:2. I forced Deep Color to 16-bit.

Is the Anthem creating some sort of issue with the TV and player determining setting to negotiate a proper handshake?

Yes, the first advice we gave was to use explicit HDMI settings and leave as little as possible to AUTO.

Also the slightest change in your power-up sequence or remote macro can affect the way the handshake goes.

- AVStefan
post #42599 of 43240 Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Yes, the first advice we gave was to use explicit HDMI settings and leave as little as possible to AUTO.

Also the slightest change in your power-up sequence or remote macro can affect the way the handshake goes.

And apparently good advice :-) oddly the Sony has more granular settings than the Panasonic. I'm going to try and see which setting may be causing the issue.

My primary concern here is that bandwidth requirements are going to simply be increasing over time and I don't want to replace my Anthem in the short term.

post #42600 of 43240 Old 04-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Ok in my case the setting that is causing the issue is the HDMI color space. Setting it to "auto" causes my screen to go blank, get sparklies, etc. It's like there is an inability to negotiate a solid connection. Setting the color space to a manual setting such as 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 stops the anomaly completely.

Now here is where it gets interesting: If it set the color space to RGB then everything goes totally haywire. Ironically, if I set Deep Color output to auto I don't get any further issues so long as the HDMI color space is defined.

Is any of this ringing a note of concern? Is there perhaps another setting somewhere that may be causing a conflict? Is this exposing a firmware issue with the Anthem or anything I should be concerned with?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page