post #42661 of 42989 Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post

Yes...I have an original PS3 that can play SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Do you know of a way to write out the lossless AIFFs to make a DVD-Audio disc? Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for how to stream lossless audio (in AIFF) through a PS3 to my AVM50?

Thank you in advance for helping me learn.
Ron
Sony does not do DVD-Audio discs. Now you may be able to write hi-res files to a data or video DVD. I've used cirlinca software in the past but this is not the place for that discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42662 of 42989 Old 04-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys. I received a replacement amp for my submersive and redid the Cal for the SVS ASEQ then ran ARC but forgot to connect the SAT channel to the ASEQ but proceeded with the cal and got this result:

WithoutSatChannel.jpg 612k .jpg file

But decided to redo it today with the SAT channel connected and got this result:

WithSatChannel.jpg 610k .jpg file

With the SAT channel connected during the Cal it looks worse after running ARC? I'm using the same Mic height and same positions as always for both calibrations plus Subs were not moved. So which do I go with? The first one gives me a flatter correction.

Thoughts on what I should trust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WithoutSatChannel.jpg (611.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg WithSatChannel.jpg (610.1 KB, 17 views)
post #42663 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 AM

Liked: 10
Anthem Is Deaf to Quad: AN UPDATE (yes, please enjoy the pun)

Hi Folks

You may recall my earlier posts, concerning 4.0-channel PCM playback through the D2 (Classic) - or lack thereof (first reported here).

Well, Hope is on The Horizon.

I've been working with the xbmc guys on a fix, testing is complete, and we're waiting on a decision concerning the merge into production. Woo-HOO !

In simple terms, the trick is to force a 5.1 output sink when 4.0 is requested by the xbmc player. To do this selectively - and not impact AVRs that do handle the format correctly - a blacklist will be implemented.

This is a call-out to the very small subset of people who:
  1. own another afflicted Anthem product (ie: not D2 Classic)
  2. use xbmc as a source, listening to 4.0 media (ie: Lf/Rf/Ls/Rs-PCM over HDMI)
  3. care enough about it to join the club, run some tests and report results to the xbmc devs

Is that YOU ?
Or YOU ?
Or maybe YOU (...I think that covers everyone biggrin.gif).

But seriously, if your D2v/AVM50/AVM50v behaves like the D2 with this material, it should be included in the blacklist. However, you'll have to help to get it in. Feel free to PM me for further detail and contact info.

In the meantime, it's gratifying to know there's a way to get four-channel-satisfaction from Anthem - can't say enough good about the xbmc community.

Hmmm... perhaps the MRX-People enjoy the same design feature; when they play that original Alan Parsons quad mix of DSoTM - out comes Stereo. I'd better go fishing in their threads too.

Thanks for playing.
post #42664 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwAudio View Post

Anthem Is Deaf to Quad: AN UPDATE (yes, please enjoy the pun)

Hi Folks

You may recall my earlier posts, concerning 4.0-channel PCM playback through the D2 (Classic) - or lack thereof (first reported here).

Well, Hope is on The Horizon.

I've been working with the xbmc guys on a fix, testing is complete, and we're waiting on a decision concerning the merge into production. Woo-HOO !

In simple terms, the trick is to force a 5.1 output sink when 4.0 is requested by the xbmc player. To do this selectively - and not impact AVRs that do handle the format correctly - a blacklist will be implemented.

This is a call-out to the very small subset of people who:
  1. own another afflicted Anthem product (ie: not D2 Classic)
  2. use xbmc as a source, listening to 4.0 media (ie: Lf/Rf/Ls/Rs-PCM over HDMI)
  3. care enough about it to join the club, run some tests and report results to the xbmc devs

Is that YOU ?
Or YOU ?
Or maybe YOU (...I think that covers everyone biggrin.gif).

But seriously, if your D2v/AVM50/AVM50v behaves like the D2 with this material, it should be included in the blacklist. However, you'll have to help to get it in. Feel free to PM me for further detail and contact info.

In the meantime, it's gratifying to know there's a way to get four-channel-satisfaction from Anthem - can't say enough good about the xbmc community.

Hmmm... perhaps the MRX-People enjoy the same design feature; when they play that original Alan Parsons quad mix of DSoTM - out comes Stereo. I'd better go fishing in their threads too.

Thanks for playing.
Nice work. Really nice.

post #42665 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
^ What's the downside to sending 4.0 LPCM content as 5.1 (with Center/Sub silent) to *ALL* devices?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #42666 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I should add, the Anthems also don't accept LPCM 1.0. Source devices send LPCM 2.0 instead (dual channel Mono). I guess the question is, since the Anthem says it can't accept LPCM 4.0, why would a source device send LPCM 2.0 for 4.0 content instead of sending 5.1 (with Center/Sub silent)?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #42667 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ I should add, the Anthems also don't accept LPCM 1.0. Source devices send LPCM 2.0 instead (dual channel Mono). I guess the question is, since the Anthem says it can't accept LPCM 4.0, why would a source device send LPCM 2.0 for 4.0 content instead of sending 5.1 (with Center/Sub silent)?
--Bob

Bob makes an excellent point. This is how I do all my audio from my Mac Mini. I send it as 7.1 and whatever channels are there from the server source are sent out. All other channels are silent. Not sure if you mentioned that capability with your hardware setup.

post #42668 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:

^ What's the downside to sending 4.0 LPCM content as 5.1 (with Center/Sub silent) to *ALL* devices?
--Bob

Ah yes, sounds simple enough to me. They (ie: xbmc devs) don't want to force such a blanket change.

That was the gist of my first proposal, reasoning many/most/(all ??) AVRs suffer the same outrage - however, they're reluctant to hobble a "universal", multi-platform product for the sake of one guy complaining. I can see their point... if the source asks for 4.0, then they oblige and open output for 4.0 - what could be cleaner ?

The story is much longer (been at this for months now), and I found test results vary from platform to platform. For example, under Win7, the Quad test file was actually sent as 5.1 to the D2, and the four speakers played correctly. Nice for the Windows guys I guess, but I've chosen OpenELEC to run xbmc, so the Linux driver is the path I've had to chase down. Thankfully there was a good reception to my query... try that in Redmond mad.gif
Quote:

^ ... I guess the question is, since the Anthem says it can't accept LPCM 4.0, why would a source device send LPCM 2.0 for 4.0 content instead of sending 5.1 (with Center/Sub silent)?
--Bob

A very good question. One issue is how EDID communicates the audio channel capability of the AVR - it specifies a maximum channel count, but says nothing about formats with fewer channels.

In this case, the D2 says "I can handle up to 6 channels". No other info - like "4.0 not recognized" - is available. Testing shows the D2 only plays the first 2 LPCM channels of the stream - and the display indicates "Stereo". This correlates with my sad experience trying to send DSoTM from my Oppo DV-980H > HDMI... only L/R channels get through.
post #42669 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Need some help
I have a D2v, I updated from the D2 about 4 years ago. I just got the Sony 600es projector and have ordered the 3d board. Happy to say I made the cut on my serial number to pay 500 not 1500.
I am in a new place, I have not used ARC in years.
I basically have to start over with the whole setup.
Suggestions for video and audio settings. I am using a server now for cds and dvds. Also, have the oppo 93, should i upgrade to the 103 or even the 105.
The guy who sold me the sony said my settings are not working for video, should 24fps for bluray. and 60 for everything else. Do I do auto on anything. sometimes need limited and other times full.
Help help....
I am not going to use my ISCO lens from my marantz projector. Seems a waste to distort the image even slightly. Anyone have any interest in buying it.
Or the whole set up with motorized marantz sled and projector
thanks
gerry
post #42670 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwAudio View Post

Quote:

--Bob

Ah yes, sounds simple enough to me. They (ie: xbmc devs) don't want to force such a blanket change.

That was the gist of my first proposal, reasoning many/most/(all ??) AVRs suffer the same outrage - however, they're reluctant to hobble a "universal", multi-platform product for the sake of one guy complaining. I can see their point... if the source asks for 4.0, then they oblige and open output for 4.0 - what could be cleaner ?

The story is much longer (been at this for months now), and I found test results vary from platform to platform. For example, under Win7, the Quad test file was actually sent as 5.1 to the D2, and the four speakers played correctly. Nice for the Windows guys I guess, but I've chosen OpenELEC to run xbmc, so the Linux driver is the path I've had to chase down. Thankfully there was a good reception to my query... try that in Redmond mad.gif
Quote:

^ ... I guess the question is, since the Anthem says it can't accept LPCM 4.0, why would a source device send LPCM 2.0 for 4.0 content instead of sending 5.1 (with Center/Sub silent)?
--Bob

A very good question. One issue is how EDID communicates the audio channel capability of the AVR - it specifies a maximum channel count, but says nothing about formats with fewer channels.

In this case, the D2 says "I can handle up to 6 channels". No more info - like "4.0 not recognized" - is available. Testing shows the D2 only plays the first 2 LPCM channels of the stream - and the display indicates "Stereo". This correlates with my sad experience trying to send DSoTM from my Oppo DV-980H > HDMI... only L/R channels get through.

The reason the Anthem is playing 2.0 is because the XBMC discovered that 4.0 didn't work and sent 2.0 instead, not because somehow the Anthem is receiving 4.0 and discarding 2 channels itself. What XBMC should be doing is raising the channel count to 5.1 instead of dropping down to 2.0. It's the job of the Source to only send audio the receiving device can handle. And yes, earlier OPPO players had the same problem with 4.0 and 3.0 content to the Anthem -- since fixed in their newer players with newer HDMI chips.
--Bob

post #42671 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Hi Bob. Any suggestions regarding my issue Post #42662 above?
post #42672 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Sorry I'm not familiar with the SVS ASEQ and what it's "SAT channel" is supposed to do.
--Bob

post #42673 of 42989 Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 PM

No worries Bob. Kris has made some suggestions and I will attempt to perform them tonight and redo the calibrations for each unit. The Sat channel (Front Left) is connected to the Anthem then to the ASEQ so the ASEQ can Phase match to the subs during it's calibration.

*Update*

Performed the changes that Kris suggested and here is the new graph for the sub after calibrating with the ASEQ and then running ARC:

Graph.jpg 632k .jpg file

A bit better between 20hz and 60hz but still have a slight dip at around 70hz. Haven't tried listening to anything yet but will tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graph.jpg (631.5 KB, 11 views)
post #42674 of 42989 Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 AM

Hi Bob

Thanks for considering my issue some more, and offering additional comment. It is with the greatest respect for your expertise and experience in these matters, that I offer these points in reply.

DISCLAIMER: While xbmc aims to be everything to everyone on every platform, there may be quirks in behaviour from one OS to the next. My assertions apply to OpenELEC, a variant of Linux. Other flavours (Windows, OSX, etc.) may behave identically, but I've not tested them, and have no basis for comment.

Also FYI, my D2 is configured for a 5.1 speaker array, not 7.1.
Quote:

The reason the Anthem is playing 2.0 is because the XBMC discovered that 4.0 didn't work and sent 2.0 instead, not because somehow the Anthem is receiving 4.0 and discarding 2 channels itself.

The D2 played only 2 channels because (sadly) the design team forgot - or chose to ignore - that other surround format: QUAD. (maybe cause it's non-SMPTE ?) Perhaps they covered this off in models released after the D2.

As reported in my first post, xbmc found 4 channel INPUT, opened 4 channel OUTPUT, and sent 4 channels of LPCM to the D2. An excerpt from the debug log details this...
Code:
DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Input Channel Count: 4 Output Channel Count: 4
DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Requested Layout: FL,FR,BL,BR
DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Got Layout: FL,FR,BL,BR
DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - ALSA Initialized:
DEBUG:   Output Device : HDA Intel PCH
DEBUG:   Sample Rate   : 48000
DEBUG:   Sample Format : AE_FMT_S32NE
DEBUG:   Channel Count : 4
DEBUG:   Channel Layout: FL,FR,BL,BR

The other two (rear) channels were ignored. This is generally the case for LPCM streams whose channel count is less than 6. I say generally, because there are some odd combinations that cause "5.1" to display, but result in less than 6 speakers sounding.

I learned this when testing the full range of channel maps defined in the HDMI v1.1 spec (0x00 thru 0x31). The ALSA guys had me run a script that generates noise bursts, cycling through each channel, for each defined mapping. This spreadsheet tabulates the results...
ALSAAudioSinkTesting.xls 33k .xls file
(notice our friend 0x08 in the list wink.gif)

Quote:
...XBMC discovered that 4.0 didn't work...

Discussions with xbmc/ALSA devs suggest there is no mechanism for the program to evaluate this condition.

As I understand it, the initial HDMI handshake sends the EDID to the source component (in this case HTPC/xbmc), and the ELD is queried regarding audio capabilities. The SADx entries (Short Audio Descriptor) tell the source about audio format, channel number, and bitrate/resolution capabilities. Short Audio Descriptor defined (Click to show)
Code:
Any Audio Data Block contains one or more 3-byte Short Audio Descriptors (SADs).  Each SAD
    details audio format, channel number, and bitrate/resolution capabilities of the display as
    follows:
    SAD Byte 1 (format and number of channels):
       bit 7: Reserved (0)
       bit 6..3: Audio format code
         1 = Linear Pulse Code Modulation (LPCM)
         2 = AC-3
         3 = MPEG1 (Layers 1 and 2)
         4 = MP3
         5 = MPEG2
         6 = AAC
         7 = DTS
         8 = ATRAC
         0, 15: Reserved 
         9 = One-bit audio aka SACD
        10 = DD+
        11 = DTS-HD
        12 = MLP/Dolby TrueHD
        13 = DST Audio
        14 = Microsoft WMA Pro
       bit 2..0: number of channels minus 1  (i.e. 000 = 1 channel; 001 = 2 channels; 111 =
                 8 channels)

SAD Byte 2 (sampling frequencies supported):
       bit 7: Reserved (0)
       bit 6: 192kHz
       bit 5: 176kHz
       bit 4: 96kHz
       bit 3: 88kHz
       bit 2: 48kHz
       bit 1: 44kHz
       bit 0: 32kHz

SAD Byte 3 (bitrate):
      For LPCM, bits 7:3 are reserved and the remaining bits define bit depth
       bit 2: 24 bit
       bit 1: 20 bit
       bit 0: 16 bit
    For all other sound formats, bits 7..0 designate the maximum supported bitrate divided by 
    8 kbit/s.

The ELD report for my D2 looks like this:
Code:
OpenELEC (official) Version: 3.95.2
OpenELEC:~ # cat /proc/asound/card0/eld#*.*
monitor_present         0
eld_valid               0
monitor_present         1
eld_valid               1
monitor_name            Statement D2
connection_type         HDMI
eld_version             [0x2] CEA-861D or below
edid_version            [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
manufacture_id          0xed40
product_id              0x0
port_id                 0x0
support_hdcp            0
support_ai              1
audio_sync_delay        0
speakers                [0xf] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR
sad_count               3
sad0_coding_type        [0x1] LPCM
sad0_channels           6
sad0_rates              [0x6e0] 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000
sad0_bits               [0xe0000] 16 20 24
sad1_coding_type        [0x2] AC-3
sad1_channels           6
sad1_rates              [0x6e0] 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000
sad1_max_bitrate        2040000
sad2_coding_type        [0x7] DTS
sad2_channels           6
sad2_rates              [0x6e0] 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000
sad2_max_bitrate        2040000
OpenELEC:~ #

...where sad0_channels = 6. That is the maximum count permissible for LPCM. No information is available for channel counts less than six. If channel_count < 6 and > 2, the source must decide what mapping to send without knowledge of how "intermediate" channel counts will be handled.
Quote:
What XBMC should be doing is raising the channel count to 5.1...

As Anthem is unable to accommodate the traditional 4 channels, I agree completely - this is the only way to get a quad result - and that solution is what I've been working toward.
Quote:
... It's the job of the Source to only send audio the receiving device can handle.

Absolutely agree, but in the absence of full information, what's a manufacturer to do ? Assumptions and trade offs will be made that don't suit every installation (says He, as he looks around the room cool.gif).

I'm just happy to find a fix to a major negative, in a component I otherwise Love, Love, Love - the Most Excellent D2 biggrin.gif

Thanks again Bob, for all you do to keep the denizens of this thread on the straight-and-narrow. I mean you no offense by rattling back all this data to your observations. Having lived through the hard acquisition of the info, I thought it right to set the facts out on the pertinent points. I hope you don't mind smile.gif
Attached Files
File Type: xls ALSAAudioSinkTesting.xls (32.5 KB, 1 views)
post #42675 of 42989 Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Bob makes an excellent point. This is how I do all my audio from my Mac Mini. I send it as 7.1 and whatever channels are there from the server source are sent out. All other channels are silent. Not sure if you mentioned that capability with your hardware setup.

@Thxtheater

I have a 5.1 speaker array here, and set the D2 accordingly.

I think I mentioned this previously about xbmc: setting the channel output to FIXED, requires you to also declare a fixed SAMPLE RATE. In terms of fidelity to the original audio, I want to avoid SRC whenever possible.

The Quad Collection alone varies between 44.1k to 48k to 88.2k to 96k sample rates (never mind the uber hi-rez 2-channel music), so a fixed output rate means three of these SRs are going to be converted unnecessarily.

Additionally, much of my video media has 2.0 audio. When set for fixed 5.1 O/P, these vids are not identified by the D2 for AnthemLogic-Cinema processing - a favourite around here for such programs. This too is a thing I want to avoid.

With the proposed 4.0 > 5.1 fix, xbmc will switch automagically as needed, and do as little harm as possible to music fidelity and video soundtracks.

Are these things that might affect you ?
post #42676 of 42989 Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 AM

bob
could you help me with the new setup i described above with the sony 600es
post #42677 of 42989 Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Set the OPPO to send 1080p/24 for Blu-ray films (1080p/24 Output AUTO).

You can then set up three Source definitions in the D2v, all of which use the OPPO as the Input device, and which differ according to the Video Output Configuration they select. Set one to output 1080p/24, another for 1080p/60, and the third as Video Output Configuration THROUGH so you can use your new 3D board for 3D viewing (which only works as THROUGH). (Or you can switch between the Video Output Configuration selections using the shortcut on the remote.)

Then you can play around and decide for yourself whether you prefer sending /24 to your new projector or not. Note that you should only do that if the input from the OPPO is /24. Some Blu-ray discs (live concerts for example) are recorded on disc as 1080i60, and you should not try to convert those to 1080p/24 as that can't work cleanly. The OPPO will output those as 1080p/60. You can always check with the Select button displays on the D2v to see what's coming in from the OPPO.

To take advantage of your new 3D board, the OPPO must connect to the upper row of inputs on the D2v (HDMI 1-4), and the upper HDMI output must be used to go to your Display.
--Bob

post #42678 of 42989 Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

gjwAudio,
I suspect if you try LPCM output of 4.0 content discs on the Sony PS3 or modern Blu-ray players (such as the recent OPPOs) you will find they ALL output LPCM 5.1 to the D2. I seriously doubt all of them have the D2 listed as a special case.

Of course LPCM 2.0 content should be output as 2.0, not 5.1.
--Bob

post #42679 of 42989 Old 04-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:

gjwAudio,
I suspect if you try LPCM output of 4.0 content discs on the Sony PS3 or modern Blu-ray players (such as the recent OPPOs) you will find they ALL output LPCM 5.1 to the D2.

I have none of that hardware at hand, but agree with you - surely manufacturers have seen the practicality of defaulting 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 LPCM to six-channel format. It gets the music through as intended... and saves a whole bunch of fuss, such as the D2/Quad issue (...beat to death by now biggrin.gif)
Quote:
I seriously doubt all of them have the D2 listed as a special case.

Ha-ha... no way anybody has built this into their HW (I didn't report it to any of them wink.gif). I guess playing with the HTPC as a source brings its own set of troubles. I'm gonna leave video optimization till the dust settles on the audio front.

Thanks again for helping.
Grant
post #42680 of 42989 Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 AM

Bob
Thanks
Most of the time we will be using a server to
Play music
Watch DVDs and blurays
Netflix
And uverse
The oppo is used about 5% of the time.
So what is your suggestion for all of the above
Gerry
post #42681 of 42989 Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The same concepts apply: Set Video Output Configurations to allow for either 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 or THROUGH output to your display from your main source device. It's OK to set the source device to send 1080p/24 all the time when it is playing 1080p/24 content -- the Anthem can convert that to 1080p/60 output if you find you don't want to send 1080p/24 to your Display.

Once you find the combos you are using most of the time, you can bake those into Setup > Source Setup definitions as I suggested -- i.e., one for 1080p/24 output, one for 1080p/60 output, and for 3D viewing, one for THROUGH output.
--Bob

post #42682 of 42989 Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks bob
post #42683 of 42989 Old 04-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Still waiting on any information regarding my previous issue. Currently I still get EDID problems between the D2v intermittently. It seems that if I set my cable box to 720p then every channel comes through perfectly and is outputed as it should at 720p. If I set the cable box to 1080i then for some reason channel 4 does not come through. This does not seem to occur on any other channel. The cable box keeps switching back to the default 1080i setting even if I manually set it to 720p (rather stupid and annoying imo).

I do not understand why the damn D2v started doing this. I have switched HDMI cables and I still run into the same problem. I have tried every setting imaginable in the D2v. Changing resolution formats, changing video settings, etc, etc.

I need some opinions on this from any one. I can try a different firmware I guess. I am using 3.09J currently. Please help!!!
post #42684 of 42989 Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post

Still waiting on any information regarding my previous issue. Currently I still get EDID problems between the D2v intermittently. It seems that if I set my cable box to 720p then every channel comes through perfectly and is outputed as it should at 720p. If I set the cable box to 1080i then for some reason channel 4 does not come through. This does not seem to occur on any other channel. The cable box keeps switching back to the default 1080i setting even if I manually set it to 720p (rather stupid and annoying imo).

I do not understand why the damn D2v started doing this. I have switched HDMI cables and I still run into the same problem. I have tried every setting imaginable in the D2v. Changing resolution formats, changing video settings, etc, etc.

I need some opinions on this from any one. I can try a different firmware I guess. I am using 3.09J currently. Please help!!!
Looks like you are joining the many satisfied Dr. HDMI clan of users. Check out for more info the previous posts in the thread or http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2013/12/the-fix-for-appletv-hdmi-woes-and-hdmi.html?m=1

post #42685 of 42989 Old 04-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Looks like you are joining the many satisfied Dr. HDMI clan of users. Check out for more info the previous posts in the thread or http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2013/12/the-fix-for-appletv-hdmi-woes-and-hdmi.html?m=1

I already use the Dr. HDMI for the HTPC input and it works perfectly. The D2v output to the TV has been working just fine for the past 1.5 years without any issues. The problem began with the 3D board upgrade. That is unacceptable that a board upgrade would cause this issue. I am not going to waste $100 on another Dr. HDMI when I am not sure if it will even work. I really don't think the Dr. HDMI will even fix it.
post #42686 of 42989 Old 04-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I already use the Dr. HDMI for the HTPC input and it works perfectly. The D2v output to the TV has been working just fine for the past 1.5 years without any issues. The problem began with the 3D board upgrade. That is unacceptable that a board upgrade would cause this issue. I am not going to waste $100 on another Dr. HDMI when I am not sure if it will even work. I really don't think the Dr. HDMI will even fix it.
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. You can always test it and then move it back.

post #42687 of 42989 Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

My understanding is that all cable systems carry 1080i as default even when the station is OTA as 720p.
You might try this.
Set the cable box at 1080i output and see what happens.
If there is still a problem move the HDMI cable input to the lower board. Numbers 5 to 8 as that was not changed with the upgrade to 3D.
post #42688 of 42989 Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

My understanding is that all cable systems carry 1080i as default even when the station is OTA as 720p.
Do not believe that to be true at all, at least my cable company sends native rate. I get 480P, 720P and 1080i depending on the channel just like OTA. Now it is true many set top boxes will convert the 480P and 720P to 1080i if you let it.
post #42689 of 42989 Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 AM

I have been a lurker seems like forever on this site and finally signed up. I will thank all of you now for the advice I have used to get to this point.

The short question is: How does one get firmware from Anthem that is not officially on the public web site?

I have seen many postings here for beta firmware but have not been successful obtaining any, even from my local Anthem integrator.

The reason for my many thanks is that I have been designing my home theatre for almost 10 years now and finally built it after we had a mini flood in the basement. It is sound isolated from the rest of the house as best as I could with my budget. The full list of items is at the end of this post, but I have a P5 as my main 5 channel amp, a D2 as my pre-amp, and a D1 as my pre-amp for the kitchen, dining room, and living room. I drank the Anthem kool aid.

I now have a 7.3 system in the theatre but am very disappointed that I cannot play the 7.1 content as it is encoded on the blu-ray. My blu-ray player is an Oppo BDP-105D which I bought because I thought the Oppo could decode DTS MA or True HD and I would be able to output 7.1 PCM to the Anthem D2. It seems this is not the case. I have read a couple of places that a firmware upgrade might be able to get me 7.1 PCM. I am waiting to hear back from a custom integrator here to see if I can get my D2 upgraded, at least the audio, so I can decode 7.1 properly. It is terrible to say I do not require the video scaler, because the scaler in the D2 is incredible, but I am going to send the video signal directly from the Oppo to my projector because the projector can receive 4k signals.

I have read many postings from Bob (thank you for all of your advice here!!) and others that advise receiving the 5.1 and use the Dolby IIx or THX Ultra 2 to get that additional channels, After spending the blood, sweat, and tears (yes there was some crying) building this theatre, I cannot help but feel like the theatre is not complete going that route. I do not want to replace the Anthem because it is incredible for music, our other passion that drove the building of the room, but I really want the 7.1 as is encoded on the blu-ray.

If there is any other advice, guidance, etc. that the collective wisdom of this group can provide, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all!.

-Steve

Theatre Infrastructure:
- Double 5/8" drywall everywhere
- Kinetic wave hangers on the ceiling
- Kinetic IsoMax on the walls
- PAC international RSIC-DC4HD hangers for bulkheads, projector mount, screen mount.
- Green glue in the vestibule (too small / too many corners / too cramped for the IsoMax)
- Acoustic sealant everywhere
- R30 between the floor joists
- R19 between the studs
- 1 3/4" solid core door (flush) with drop seal on bottom and Pemko seals on jamb
- 2 risers isolated from the walls (not the floors)
- Interior columns (also isolated from the floors / risers) for all speakers and power outlets to minimize holes
- Surface mounted boxes for all sconces to minimize holes

Audio:
- Anthem Statement P5
- Anthem Statement D2
- Anthem Statement D1 (3 other zones)
- Emotiva XPA-2 (2 rear channels)
- Outlaw 7125 (3 other zones)

Video:
- JVC DLA-RS4910 Projector
- Oppo BDP-105D
- Stuart Firehawk power screen 2.40:1, 123" diagonal
- Playstation 3

Fronts:
- Wisdom Insight 4i

Surrounds / Rears:
- Wisdom Insight 2i

Subs:
- 2 x Paradigm RVC-SQ with back boxes
- 1 x Paradigm Reference Servo v2
post #42690 of 42989 Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 AM

In short the only way is to go to a D2v for true 7.1. Setting the Oppo to output PCM and the D2 to PLIIx is the best way to do it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page