Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1423 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Bob makes an excellent point. This is how I do all my audio from my Mac Mini. I send it as 7.1 and whatever channels are there from the server source are sent out. All other channels are silent. Not sure if you mentioned that capability with your hardware setup.

@Thxtheater

I have a 5.1 speaker array here, and set the D2 accordingly.

I think I mentioned this previously about xbmc: setting the channel output to FIXED, requires you to also declare a fixed SAMPLE RATE. In terms of fidelity to the original audio, I want to avoid SRC whenever possible.

The Quad Collection alone varies between 44.1k to 48k to 88.2k to 96k sample rates (never mind the uber hi-rez 2-channel music), so a fixed output rate means three of these SRs are going to be converted unnecessarily.

Additionally, much of my video media has 2.0 audio. When set for fixed 5.1 O/P, these vids are not identified by the D2 for AnthemLogic-Cinema processing - a favourite around here for such programs. This too is a thing I want to avoid.

With the proposed 4.0 > 5.1 fix, xbmc will switch automagically as needed, and do as little harm as possible to music fidelity and video soundtracks.

Are these things that might affect you ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
bob
could you help me with the new setup i described above with the sony 600es
Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
^ Set the OPPO to send 1080p/24 for Blu-ray films (1080p/24 Output AUTO).

You can then set up three Source definitions in the D2v, all of which use the OPPO as the Input device, and which differ according to the Video Output Configuration they select. Set one to output 1080p/24, another for 1080p/60, and the third as Video Output Configuration THROUGH so you can use your new 3D board for 3D viewing (which only works as THROUGH). (Or you can switch between the Video Output Configuration selections using the shortcut on the remote.)

Then you can play around and decide for yourself whether you prefer sending /24 to your new projector or not. Note that you should only do that if the input from the OPPO is /24. Some Blu-ray discs (live concerts for example) are recorded on disc as 1080i60, and you should not try to convert those to 1080p/24 as that can't work cleanly. The OPPO will output those as 1080p/60. You can always check with the Select button displays on the D2v to see what's coming in from the OPPO.

To take advantage of your new 3D board, the OPPO must connect to the upper row of inputs on the D2v (HDMI 1-4), and the upper HDMI output must be used to go to your Display.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

gjwAudio,
I suspect if you try LPCM output of 4.0 content discs on the Sony PS3 or modern Blu-ray players (such as the recent OPPOs) you will find they ALL output LPCM 5.1 to the D2. I seriously doubt all of them have the D2 listed as a special case.

Of course LPCM 2.0 content should be output as 2.0, not 5.1.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

gjwAudio,
I suspect if you try LPCM output of 4.0 content discs on the Sony PS3 or modern Blu-ray players (such as the recent OPPOs) you will find they ALL output LPCM 5.1 to the D2.

I have none of that hardware at hand, but agree with you - surely manufacturers have seen the practicality of defaulting 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 LPCM to six-channel format. It gets the music through as intended... and saves a whole bunch of fuss, such as the D2/Quad issue (...beat to death by now biggrin.gif)
Quote:
I seriously doubt all of them have the D2 listed as a special case.

Ha-ha... no way anybody has built this into their HW (I didn't report it to any of them wink.gif). I guess playing with the HTPC as a source brings its own set of troubles. I'm gonna leave video optimization till the dust settles on the audio front.

Thanks again for helping.
Grant
Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 AM

Bob
Thanks
Most of the time we will be using a server to
Play music
Watch DVDs and blurays
Netflix
And uverse
The oppo is used about 5% of the time.
So what is your suggestion for all of the above
Gerry
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The same concepts apply: Set Video Output Configurations to allow for either 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 or THROUGH output to your display from your main source device. It's OK to set the source device to send 1080p/24 all the time when it is playing 1080p/24 content -- the Anthem can convert that to 1080p/60 output if you find you don't want to send 1080p/24 to your Display.

Once you find the combos you are using most of the time, you can bake those into Setup > Source Setup definitions as I suggested -- i.e., one for 1080p/24 output, one for 1080p/60 output, and for 3D viewing, one for THROUGH output.
--Bob

Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks bob
Old 04-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Still waiting on any information regarding my previous issue. Currently I still get EDID problems between the D2v intermittently. It seems that if I set my cable box to 720p then every channel comes through perfectly and is outputed as it should at 720p. If I set the cable box to 1080i then for some reason channel 4 does not come through. This does not seem to occur on any other channel. The cable box keeps switching back to the default 1080i setting even if I manually set it to 720p (rather stupid and annoying imo).

I do not understand why the damn D2v started doing this. I have switched HDMI cables and I still run into the same problem. I have tried every setting imaginable in the D2v. Changing resolution formats, changing video settings, etc, etc.

I need some opinions on this from any one. I can try a different firmware I guess. I am using 3.09J currently. Please help!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post

Still waiting on any information regarding my previous issue. Currently I still get EDID problems between the D2v intermittently. It seems that if I set my cable box to 720p then every channel comes through perfectly and is outputed as it should at 720p. If I set the cable box to 1080i then for some reason channel 4 does not come through. This does not seem to occur on any other channel. The cable box keeps switching back to the default 1080i setting even if I manually set it to 720p (rather stupid and annoying imo).

I do not understand why the damn D2v started doing this. I have switched HDMI cables and I still run into the same problem. I have tried every setting imaginable in the D2v. Changing resolution formats, changing video settings, etc, etc.

I need some opinions on this from any one. I can try a different firmware I guess. I am using 3.09J currently. Please help!!!
Looks like you are joining the many satisfied Dr. HDMI clan of users. Check out for more info the previous posts in the thread or http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2013/12/the-fix-for-appletv-hdmi-woes-and-hdmi.html?m=1

Old 04-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Looks like you are joining the many satisfied Dr. HDMI clan of users. Check out for more info the previous posts in the thread or http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2013/12/the-fix-for-appletv-hdmi-woes-and-hdmi.html?m=1

I already use the Dr. HDMI for the HTPC input and it works perfectly. The D2v output to the TV has been working just fine for the past 1.5 years without any issues. The problem began with the 3D board upgrade. That is unacceptable that a board upgrade would cause this issue. I am not going to waste $100 on another Dr. HDMI when I am not sure if it will even work. I really don't think the Dr. HDMI will even fix it.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

I already use the Dr. HDMI for the HTPC input and it works perfectly. The D2v output to the TV has been working just fine for the past 1.5 years without any issues. The problem began with the 3D board upgrade. That is unacceptable that a board upgrade would cause this issue. I am not going to waste $100 on another Dr. HDMI when I am not sure if it will even work. I really don't think the Dr. HDMI will even fix it.
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. You can always test it and then move it back.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

My understanding is that all cable systems carry 1080i as default even when the station is OTA as 720p.
You might try this.
Set the cable box at 1080i output and see what happens.
If there is still a problem move the HDMI cable input to the lower board. Numbers 5 to 8 as that was not changed with the upgrade to 3D.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

My understanding is that all cable systems carry 1080i as default even when the station is OTA as 720p.
Do not believe that to be true at all, at least my cable company sends native rate. I get 480P, 720P and 1080i depending on the channel just like OTA. Now it is true many set top boxes will convert the 480P and 720P to 1080i if you let it.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been a lurker seems like forever on this site and finally signed up. I will thank all of you now for the advice I have used to get to this point.

The short question is: How does one get firmware from Anthem that is not officially on the public web site?

I have seen many postings here for beta firmware but have not been successful obtaining any, even from my local Anthem integrator.

The reason for my many thanks is that I have been designing my home theatre for almost 10 years now and finally built it after we had a mini flood in the basement. It is sound isolated from the rest of the house as best as I could with my budget. The full list of items is at the end of this post, but I have a P5 as my main 5 channel amp, a D2 as my pre-amp, and a D1 as my pre-amp for the kitchen, dining room, and living room. I drank the Anthem kool aid.

I now have a 7.3 system in the theatre but am very disappointed that I cannot play the 7.1 content as it is encoded on the blu-ray. My blu-ray player is an Oppo BDP-105D which I bought because I thought the Oppo could decode DTS MA or True HD and I would be able to output 7.1 PCM to the Anthem D2. It seems this is not the case. I have read a couple of places that a firmware upgrade might be able to get me 7.1 PCM. I am waiting to hear back from a custom integrator here to see if I can get my D2 upgraded, at least the audio, so I can decode 7.1 properly. It is terrible to say I do not require the video scaler, because the scaler in the D2 is incredible, but I am going to send the video signal directly from the Oppo to my projector because the projector can receive 4k signals.

I have read many postings from Bob (thank you for all of your advice here!!) and others that advise receiving the 5.1 and use the Dolby IIx or THX Ultra 2 to get that additional channels, After spending the blood, sweat, and tears (yes there was some crying) building this theatre, I cannot help but feel like the theatre is not complete going that route. I do not want to replace the Anthem because it is incredible for music, our other passion that drove the building of the room, but I really want the 7.1 as is encoded on the blu-ray.

If there is any other advice, guidance, etc. that the collective wisdom of this group can provide, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all!.

-Steve

Theatre Infrastructure:
- Double 5/8" drywall everywhere
- Kinetic wave hangers on the ceiling
- Kinetic IsoMax on the walls
- PAC international RSIC-DC4HD hangers for bulkheads, projector mount, screen mount.
- Green glue in the vestibule (too small / too many corners / too cramped for the IsoMax)
- Acoustic sealant everywhere
- R30 between the floor joists
- R19 between the studs
- 1 3/4" solid core door (flush) with drop seal on bottom and Pemko seals on jamb
- 2 risers isolated from the walls (not the floors)
- Interior columns (also isolated from the floors / risers) for all speakers and power outlets to minimize holes
- Surface mounted boxes for all sconces to minimize holes

Audio:
- Anthem Statement P5
- Anthem Statement D2
- Anthem Statement D1 (3 other zones)
- Emotiva XPA-2 (2 rear channels)
- Outlaw 7125 (3 other zones)

Video:
- JVC DLA-RS4910 Projector
- Oppo BDP-105D
- Stuart Firehawk power screen 2.40:1, 123" diagonal
- Playstation 3

Fronts:
- Wisdom Insight 4i

Surrounds / Rears:
- Wisdom Insight 2i

Subs:
- 2 x Paradigm RVC-SQ with back boxes
- 1 x Paradigm Reference Servo v2
Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
In short the only way is to go to a D2v for true 7.1. Setting the Oppo to output PCM and the D2 to PLIIx is the best way to do it.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

The original D2 is limited to 5.1 Input. It can raise that to 7.1 speaker output by math (PLIIx), but it can not accept 7.1 input.

7.1 input via HDMI is available in the newer D2v.

This is a hardware limitation in the original D2 -- can not be changed via firmware.
--Bob

Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

The HDMI 1-4 inputs use separate hardware from the HDMI 5-8 inputs. Try switching to the other bank of inputs.
--Bob

Old 04-20-2014, 09:40 AM

agrsiv95, Bob,

Thanks for the quick responses. Is it possible to upgrade the D2 to a D2v?

I am trying every which way to keep the Anthem in the theatre.

Thanks again,

-Steve
Old 04-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekappy View Post

agrsiv95, Bob,

Thanks for the quick responses. Is it possible to upgrade the D2 to a D2v?

I am trying every which way to keep the Anthem in the theatre.

Thanks again,

-Steve

Too much hardware changes out to do an "upgrade". For a while Anthem was running a factory sponsored trade-in program, but that ended a long time ago.

You have two options: Work a deal with your Anthem dealer, or sell the D2 privately (e.g., on Audiogon) and purchase a D2v separately.

By the way, although this is slowly changing, you should be aware that many of the Blu-ray titles sold as 7.1 really only had 5.1 theatrical release mixes. I.e., they've been processed up to 7.1 for Blu-ray marketing purposes. So don't be too quick to discount the option of keeping the D2 you already have. Let the OPPO do the down-mix to 5.1 LPCM output for 7.1 tracks (which happens automatically for HDMI audio, or by selecting that setting in the OPPO for multi-channel analog). Then set your D2 to raise that to 7.1 speakers using PLIIx-Movie.

I think you'll be pleasant surprised.

There ARE tracks out there with aggressive positioning of audio in the Rear channels of course, but fewer than you might expect. Also, some discs come with both a 7.1 and a 5.1 lossless track. For those, select the 5.1 track -- and still let your D2 raise that up to 7.1 speakers output.

Note that if you do switch to a D2v you get other things in addition to 7.1 input. For example you get 192KHz audio input (the D2 is limited to 96KHz). Blu-ray music discs can take advantage of that. You also get an improved audio output stage, improved video processing, and more HDMI Input sockets.

I'm assuming you already have ARC for your D2. If not, you should *DEFINITELY* get that -- the kit costs about $400 -- no hardware change needed in the D2. If you sell the D2, be sure to mention that it comes with the ARC kit, as early D2 units were not bundled with that.
--Bob

Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:

The HDMI 1-4 inputs use separate hardware from the HDMI 5-8 inputs. Try switching to the other bank of inputs.
--Bob

I have done that. Same problem occurs. Again I have tried every different combo and fix I can think of. I guess I need to just get different firmwares from Anthem and see which ones work frown.gif
Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 PM

Bob,

I have been listening in THX Ultra2 mode but felt like I should get more. I will try Dolby IIx Movie tonight. It sounded great out of the box and I have not applied ARC yet. I have been finishing up some minor details on the room before I calibrate it via ARC because I know I will not get to it after I apply ARC. I bought the ARC for my D1 but my D2 came with it.

I am reviewing all of the "multiple sub" tuning guides in this thread before I apply ARC because as you mentioned in one of your posts, all of the sub outputs are exactly the same. I want to make sure I get the mains and three subs all in phase before ARC. I am a little confused at level matching vs gain matching as the final step before ARC. To add more insult to injury, it looks like the Radio Shack SPL meter I bought last night is broken from the start. I think it is just time to plug up the mic and let the chips fall where they may.

I did not realize there were that many differences between the D2 and D2V. I wish I would have upgraded when I had the chance (ether one of the preamps). Right now, I am still paying for the theatre so a new preamp is out of the question.

Thanks again for all of your assistance. It has saved me many a weeks tweaking and tuning.

-Steve
Old 04-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ After you get ARC set up, I think you'll find you are happier NOT adding the THX post processing as part of your surround sound Mode.
--Bob
Jean_Pierre likes this.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have done that. Same problem occurs. Again I have tried every different combo and fix I can think of. I guess I need to just get different firmwares from Anthem and see which ones work frown.gif

At this point it might pay to tell us what cable tv system and the make and model of your Cable set top box. Some forum members may have experience with it. And also call Anthem support. They may have previous experience with the same set up.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

At this point it might pay to tell us what cable tv system and the make and model of your Cable set top box. Some forum members may have experience with it. And also call Anthem support. They may have previous experience with the same set up.

That is just the thing, this is a new problem when nothing in my system has changed at all.

Panasonic VT50 plasma
Scientific Atlanta cable box (Cox cable)
Anthem D2v (obviously)
Custom HTPC (using Dr. HDMI for the input from the HTPC, this has worked perfectly for as long as I have had the D2v)

Again, this setup has not changed at all. The only thing that has changed is the 3D board upgrade. I have contacted Anthem support and they were really not much help. I will contact them again to get some different firmware versions since that is the only thing that I can think of to be the main issue.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The other possibility is that new firmware was pushed to the Scientific Atlanta box without your realizing it. HDMI implementations in these set top boxes are pretty notorious for being flaky.

Another thing you can try is to see if you can swap out your current Cox / Scientific Atlanta box for a newer model. In my experience with Comcast's Motorola boxes, sometimes that's the only practical solution.
--Bob

Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ The other possibility is that new firmware was pushed to the Scientific Atlanta box without your realizing it. HDMI implementations in these set top boxes are pretty notorious for being flaky.

Another thing you can try is to see if you can swap out your current Cox / Scientific Atlanta box for a newer model. In my experience with Comcast's Motorola boxes, sometimes that's the only practical solution.
--Bob

Excellent suggestion and 100% on the money about the SA boxes. They have a long history of problems.
Cox may be able to visit your house and try a different SA box or a different manufacturer if possible.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:

--Bob

That is a good suggestion. I honestly would not put it past Cox to have pushed buggy firmware out to the SA box. They have this new "contour" crap that they are pushing which requires a box "upgrade" in addition to additional fees. I will talk to them about it and see what they offer. If anything, I can just use my HDhomerun that I have been putting off installing.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all, just wondering if after I have run arc for the first time in my theater on the D2v version 3.09 I went in and manually set the xo on my speakers to be at 80hz. I run all Klipsch THX ultra 2 speakers and wanted to have them xo at 80hz. Arc set them to 65 but I didn’t want them that low. I checked and see arc eq is still on and saved to my source main/dvd and it sounds incredible I just want to know if I ruined anything arc did by setting the xo under speaker configuration to 80hz. Also on the remote control I upped the db on the subwoofer by about 4db so they didn’t sound so flat is this ok as well or did this affect arc? Thanks for any input its my first time with the amazing D2v. I can say that when I turn arc off the room doesn’t sound nearly as incredible as with it on but I just want to double check that it is ok what I did.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I doubt by raising the DB via the remote on the fly like the subwoofer or lfe content or the rears that would affect arc but I wanted to make sure setting th xo to 80 on the left right and center speaker it wouldn’t affect it. I have a very well treated room with acoustic panels etc. but arc nearly perfected the audio experience and made an almost perfect line near the target on the graphs. I have turned arc off and can hear how much of a difference it makes. I turned it back on and back into audio nirvana. I didn’t touch anything else on filets or anything like that I just manually measured for each speaker and input that data then ran arc in exactly as it was supposed to run and then afterword’s set the xo on the mains to 80 is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers