Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #42901 of 43405 Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 956
^ If I recall correctly, when that 3D upgrade hardware was developed there were still no 4K sources and no 4K capable displays.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42902 of 43405 Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Does it pass xvYcc color?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #42903 of 43405 Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is there any 'reasonable' way to send decoded DTS-MA over HDMI to a D2 (non D2V)? I have a HTPC running XBMC and it can not decode DTS-MA...only bit stream...so it appears the best i can do from the HTPC is have it decode the lossy Core DTS track. Wondering if a low end receiver that can decode DTS-MA..or something similar. I don't need 3d...and just can't justify a D2V...
post #42904 of 43405 Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
At the risk of being a smart*ss how about a real blu-ray player? I suppose since you are talking XBMC you are streaming in which case get an Oppo 103 and use it either as an DMR (renderer) or use the HDMI input. Cheaper than the D2 upgrade. I haven't been following the HTPC world but can XBMC push to a DMR like the Oppo? I went through the same thought process a year or two ago and finally bit the bullet and sold the D2 for a D2v3D. Admittedly it was a difficult pill to swallow at the time but I have no regrets.

(I forget can the Oppo decode DTS-MA on the HDMI input? Bob?)
post #42905 of 43405 Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ It can NOT. Its HDMI Inputs accept only traditional, lossy, DD and DTS Bitstreams, but also LPCM up to 7.1 and up to 192KHz 24-bit, if the source device can output that.

Now, if you are streaming to it over the house network (i.e., media files pushed or pulled from a DLNA server), then lossless Bitstreams CAN be part of those files.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #42906 of 43405 Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Is there any 'reasonable' way to send decoded DTS-MA over HDMI to a D2 (non D2V)? I have a HTPC running XBMC and it can not decode DTS-MA...only bit stream...so it appears the best i can do from the HTPC is have it decode the lossy Core DTS track. Wondering if a low end receiver that can decode DTS-MA..or something similar. I don't need 3d...and just can't justify a D2V...
It's not likely you will be able to do this with any cheap AVR. The HDMI *OUTPUT* on those will likely be limited to LPCM 2.0 down-mix (i.e., intended for the built in stereo speakers on a TV.)
--Bob

post #42907 of 43405 Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Another method.
Get a Popcorn Hour network media player or a Dune or a Mede8er.
They play Blu Ray video files in many formats such as MKV MP4 Mt2s etc and certain models handle DTS-Hd Master and Dolby True HD audio
post #42908 of 43405 Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would like to report that my D2v-3D is working perfectly now There was a problem with the connection between the top 3D board and the main video board. A quick replacement of the full video board and new 3D board fixed that and now everything is up and working like it should.
post #42909 of 43405 Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post
I would like to report that my D2v-3D is working perfectly now There was a problem with the connection between the top 3D board and the main video board. A quick replacement of the full video board and new 3D board fixed that and now everything is up and working like it should.
Good to hear you got it solved

Not an uncommon technical problem with the updated boards being done by dealers and users
post #42910 of 43405 Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear All,

I am just getting into setting up my D2v3d for the first time. I have the OSD working and all of my cables (HDMI) are plugged into the Processor. Can anyone recommend the best way to setup the D2v3d? I know you can do it through OSD but should I try the Serial connection on the processor to my HTPC? Any thoughts on the best way to go out programming and setting up my HDMI inputs and settings would greatly be appreciated. My setup includes the following:

1. HDMI from Cable box to D2v
2. HDMI from HTPC to D2v
3. HDMI from PS3 to D2v
4. HDMI from Surveillance system to D2v

How can I assign each HDMI source to their respective input? Also, I have noticed that when I power off my TV (receiving a signal from my HTPC) that if I were to turn the TV back on that the D2v does not switch to that signal. So I have to power cycle the D2v to get it to see the signal from the HTPC - is there a way to address this? Is this a common problem?

I have a 5 channel setup with 2 Subs (Both subs are hooked up to RCA outputs for D2v). Of note, only one sub seems to be receiving a signal but I attribute this to not having completed the setup.

Lastly, any recommendations on whether or not to use ARC after or before setup? Any help with suggestions on how to use ARC?

Thanks for all the help!
post #42911 of 43405 Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Set everything up first before you run ARC.

Pull out the Manual and just go through the Setup menu in order from top to bottom. It's a bit daunting to start because there's so much in there, but as you get into it you'll find it is pretty straightforward, and the factory defaults are reasonably chosen to make it easier.

Start with getting video output working. That's first on the list in the Setup menu. You can test that with the built in test patterns in the Video Source Adjust menu (press and hold the "7" key -- use "Back to exit). Note that if you have NO video output, you can still navigate the Setup menu using the Front Panel Display. The Setup menu pictures in the Manual will help you find your way around. Once you've got video, you can continue with Setup menu stuff on your TV.

Then specify your speaker configuration and basics such as speaker distances. Use the built in test tones (Setup > Level Calibration) to check the speakers are wired correctly.

Then do your Sources. Pick one source device and get that working first and then you'll have the pattern for the others. Folks often use a Blu-ray player for this since they can check things with an audio/video calibration disc.

I recommend you do this using the regular remote and the on-screen display. Get things working before you futz with serial cable control.
--Bob

post #42912 of 43405 Old 06-17-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
think to buy avm 50 3d price here 3000 usd second hand it s really worth it

last question how many year avm 50 3d up-to-date when will i need to change it 2 3 4 5 year?
post #42913 of 43405 Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barasn View Post
think to buy avm 50 3d price here 3000 usd second hand it s really worth it

last question how many year avm 50 3d up-to-date when will i need to change it 2 3 4 5 year?
You mean 50v? I would go for it if the ARC mic is included. No reason to upgrade for several years.
post #42914 of 43405 Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Thanks Bob! I actually was able to get the video out working and set up my sources correctly along with speaker distances etc. My only problem now seems to be the following:

1. I would like some help with what to select on the audio processing. Most of my audio comes over HDMI from my HTPC and is either DTS, DTS HD or True HD; sometimes AC3, DD5. I would like to be able to have the D2v to recognize and play DTS-HD and True-HD audio but am confused as to what setting to use - PLX? DD5? Neo6? DTS ES? Any of the THX? Some guidance would be appreciated - wish D2v would just auto select based on source audio - is there a way to do that?

2. I selected to have 2 subs in my Movie configuration but was wondering how to check this and if this was ok for me to use when testing with ARC?

3. I am wondering - I have things working well now - sound and picture is good (just need to get some preset processing in #1 figured out), but if it sounds good is ARC necessary? Does ARC make a difference?

thanks
Conrad
post #42915 of 43405 Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCaduceus View Post
I have a 5 channel setup with 2 Subs (Both subs are hooked up to RCA outputs for D2v). Of note, only one sub seems to be receiving a signal but I attribute this to not having completed the setup.
Quote:
1. I would like some help with what to select on the audio processing. Most of my audio comes over HDMI from my HTPC and is either DTS, DTS HD or True HD; sometimes AC3, DD5. I would like to be able to have the D2v to recognize and play DTS-HD and True-HD audio but am confused as to what setting to use - PLX? DD5? Neo6? DTS ES? Any of the THX? Some guidance would be appreciated - wish D2v would just auto select based on source audio - is there a way to do that?

2. I selected to have 2 subs in my Movie configuration but was wondering how to check this and if this was ok for me to use when testing with ARC?

3. I am wondering - I have things working well now - sound and picture is good, but if it sounds good is ARC necessary? Does ARC make a difference?
  1. Since you are running 5.1 there is no use for any of the 6.1 or 7.1 modes like EX, ES, PLIIx, Neo6, THX Ultra2. You should be fine with the defaults but you can define your defaults in the MODE PRESETS menu including the "last used" option.
  2. No, regardless how many subs you actually have the processor has only 1 sub channel. When using ARC set the number of subs to 1. All subs will receive the same signal.
  3. Of the 40,000 posts in this thread, about 20,000 are about the difference ARC makes. Once you have the speaker config and listener position setup properly, run ARC. You won't know until you measure your room, then seeing the charts is believing! Bob has posted ARC setup tips many times, including how to position the mic, etc. Get this right before you start to avoid wasting time. The user manual is a very good starting point.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #42916 of 43405 Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks Bob! I actually was able to get the video out working and set up my sources correctly along with speaker distances etc. My only problem now seems to be the following:

3. I am wondering - I have things working well now - sound and picture is good (just need to get some preset processing in #1 figured out), but if it sounds good is ARC necessary? Does ARC make a difference?

thanks
Conrad
ARC makes a huge difference. Definitely plan on doing an ARC setup.

The 1 vs 2 Subs setting in the D2v is only used to alter how the Subwoofer volume trim setting is implemented (Setup > Level Calibration). When using ARC it is mandatory that you set that to 1 Sub even though you have more than one. (The Subwoofer volume trim ARC Uploads into the D2v is calculated assuming that 1 Sub is set.)

You can test that both Subs are functioning by playing the Subwoofer test tone (Setup > Level Calibration). Note that there is a separate setting which lets you change whether the second Sub output of the XLR set is used for wiring a second Sub or for Zone 2 functionality. If you are using the XLR outputs, and only get Sub test tones from one Sub, check that setting (Setup > ADC).

There is also only one distance setting for the Subwoofer. Use the average of the distances for your two Subs. NOTE: Phase is a function of distance, so you must set all your speaker distances before adjusting Sub Phase (next paragraph).

Since you have more than one Sub, you need to adjust Phase for each of them *BEFORE* your run your ARC setup. The Phase setting on each Sub will alter how they interact with each other, and ARC hears them playing together so that needs to be set before you do ARC Measurement. Power one Sub at a time and adjust the Phase setting ON EACH SUB ITSELF to maximize bass when playing content through the LF/RF speakers in Stereo Audio Mode. The hiss between FM radio stations is something you can use for this. Bass is only a small portion of that hiss so listen carefully as you adjust Phase. Again, do this separately for each Sub, then power them both up again before doing your ARC Measurement. (Since you don't have an ARC solution set up yet, you can set a Crossover of 80Hz while testing Phase to make sure bass in the LF/RF content gets steered to the Subwoofer.)

It is also good to get the Sub volumes into the right ballpark before you run ARC (and for that matter, before you adjust Phase, as it makes it easier to hear). Zero all the lines in Setup > Level Calibration, then use the Test Level line (test tone will come from LF speaker) and adjust that to yield 75dB SPL measured with a sound pressure level meter at your ARC mic #1 position (center seating). Everyone uses the inexpensive, digital readout SPL meter sold by Radio Shack. Point that straight up, held at arm's length, at seated ear height, and set to "Slow" response and "C" weighting.

Leave the rest of the Level Calibration lines at 0dB. Go down to either Subwoofer line and, leaving that at 0dB, adjust the volume using the volume knob on the Sub itself. Since you have 2 subs, power one at a time for this and adjust its volume knob to yield 72dB SPL (not 75). When both Subs are producing 72dB SPL, they will combine to yield roughly 75dB SPL. Ballpark settings are fine for this, as ARC will do all the fine tuning of volume levels.

With the Test Level line and the Sub volume knobs set, and with speaker distances and Sub Phase dialed in, you can now do your ARC Measurement pass. NOTE: You only have to do these preliminaries once (presuming you don't shift speakers around), as what you set up here will still be in place for any subsequent ARC runs you do.

The Audio Surround Modes have to do with how fewer content channels are expanded to produce more speakers of output. There are several different algorithms offered to do that. But the first thing to note is that if the content you are playing already has the same (or more) channels than your speaker configuration, then there's nothing for a Surround Mode to do -- so it won't be offered.

If you do want to expand content to more speakers (e.g., stereo content played in 5.1 speakers), then the choice of setting is ENTIRELY PERSONAL PREFERENCE. You can adjust this on-the-fly using the Mode button on the remote while playing real content. (When using the Mode button, only the choices that actually DO something -- given the content you are playing and your speaker configuration -- will be offered.) When you finally settle on which Surround Modes you prefer, you can set them as defaults in Setup > Mode Presets for each Source. You can still alter them on the fly to double-check if your defaults are really to your taste.

I recommend you leave THX post processing turned OFF after you get ARC set up.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-17-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #42917 of 43405 Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 AM

Bob - thanks so much for the advice!!!!! Will do what you recommend.

C
post #42918 of 43405 Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Another quick refresher...Can ARC be applied to the 6 channel Analog Input signal? Or is is restricted to digital inputs only?
post #42919 of 43405 Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Works fine with either Stereo or Multi-channel Analog. You need to set the input to ANALOG-DSP (not ANALOG-DIRECT) so that the Analog input signal can be re-digitized prior to the processing.

Also check the Setup > ADC menu and make sure the conversion rate for re-digitizing both the Stereo and Multi-channel Analog inputs are set to 96KHz for best quality.

Since ARC will be taking care of all your speaker configuration issues -- including volume trims, distance adjustments, Crossovers, and mixing (in addition to Room Correction) -- make sure the multi-channel Analog output of your SOURCE device is set to do none of that. Typically this would involve telling your source device that all speakers are "large" (to disable its Crossover processing), equidistant (any distance will do so long as they are all the same), and need no volume trims. If the Source has 7.1 Analog outputs, it remains OK to let the Source down-mix 7.1 content to 5.1 Analog output for delivery to the Anthem.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-18-2014 at 11:07 AM.
post #42920 of 43405 Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah..I think I had it on Analog Direct...must be why the option to turn room correction On was not there. As usual, THANKS BOB!!
post #42921 of 43405 Old 06-20-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Original D2 (not D2v) Support for Latest UHD TVs

Hello All,

I’ve been using an original D2 (not D2V) for years running an old Pioneer 5050HD plasma (1080i). I also added ARC later when it was available as an option. Overall I’m very happy with the D2 and it’s given me years of trouble free use.

I’m looking to get a 4k TV soon. I’m not concerned with 3D so I don’t need any pass through. Also I’m not looking to upgrade to the latest D2V. This is not an option at this point.

My question is can I get the old D2 working with a 4k TV? I realize that currently true 4K signals aren't there yet and I realize I might lose of audio capabilities of the D2 with the newer hi-rez audio formats. But overall, can I get the D2 to work with a 4k TV? First of all, for the D2 video “native” output, what do you set it to? Obviously I can’t match it the native resolution or a 4k TV, so I can’t specify 3840x2160 or something similar. Do I set it to just a 1080p resolution? Will the 4k TV take this resolution passed to it and then use its own internal scaler to up-convert to its native resolution?

I currently just use the D2 for regular HD content, streaming, and listening to FLAC audio. I think my requirements are pretty simple and straightforward, but I need to start researching if I will encounter any gotchas if I purchase a new 4k television.
Thanks for any comments that you can provide.

Regards
Steve
post #42922 of 43405 Old 06-20-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
If you don't have a 4K source, it will work just fine, just like it does today. If you have a 4K source, you'll have to bypass the D2.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #42923 of 43405 Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

^
The D2, D2v and D2v 3D are not capable of any form of 4K.
When you decide to buy the 4K display make sure you research the display's capability of how it handles other formats and what the manufacturer promises to do when the formats change.
Currently I think only Samsung and Sony have any firmware upgrade capability.
You only have a limited source of true 4K sources. Sony has its rental and purchases in The Sony Entertaiment network and the 4K FMP-10X player.
Netflix is currently streaming one show in 4K. You need HDMI 2.0 and H265 to view it.
The conversion of HD video to 4K does give you an incredible picture though conversion of SD material and DVD is not so good.
post #42924 of 43405 Old 06-20-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
If you don't have a 4K source, it will work just fine, just like it does today. If you have a 4K source, you'll have to bypass the D2.
So what should I put as the native resolution in the D2 for the 4k display panel? Does it even matter since the 4K TV will upscale anyways?

Thanks
Steve
post #42925 of 43405 Old 06-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Use 1080p output from your D2.
--Bob

post #42926 of 43405 Old 06-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking for a 3.5mm male to male mono cable to use for a trigger from my D2v to amp.
I can find 3.5mm stereo cables all over the place, but mono cables are few and far between.

So, is a mono cable absolutely necessary, or will a stereo cable work??
If it is necessary, does anyone know where to find one ??

Thanks,
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #42927 of 43405 Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I'm looking for a 3.5mm male to male mono cable to use for a trigger from my D2v to amp.
I can find 3.5mm stereo cables all over the place, but mono cables are few and far between.

So, is a mono cable absolutely necessary, or will a stereo cable work??
If it is necessary, does anyone know where to find one ??

Thanks,
Tom
Tom

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Male-Mon.../dp/B004GIFBMY

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_to_Mini.html

and easily obtained at Radio Shack or Best Buy'
post #42928 of 43405 Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Thanks for the links.
Guess I'm going to the mall tomorrow.

Tom

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #42929 of 43405 Old 06-22-2014, 05:33 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Is ARC better than Audyssey XT32?
post #42930 of 43405 Old 06-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Is ARC better than Audyssey XT32?

The following is my opinion.

The one thing Audyssey XT32 does better than ARC is balance dual subwoofers. ARC treats your subs as one. It does no phase/distance or volume matching of dual subs.
With ARC you will need to spend time matching your subs using the great Quick Measure feature, or buy a used SVS AS EQ1 (no longer made) or a DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 or 8033 or similar product to match your subs one to another before running ARC.

ARC is better in most other respects IMHO.
ARC comes with a calibrated mic. You will need to buy an Audyssey PRO-KIT at about $500 and a liscence for your processor or receiver at $150.
With ARC you can tweak your results much more than you can do with Audyssey XT32. Again you will need a PRO-KIT to be able to tweak as much as you can do with ARC.
And, most importantly, ARC comes on Anthem products.

I ran Audyssey XT32 with a PRO-KIT on an Integra DHC-83 and could never get the sound where I was used to hearing with my old D2 with ARC. Perhaps I would have been happier with a different Audyssey equipped processor (Denon/Marantz maybe), but I sold the Integra and my PRO-KIT and bought a D2v with ARC and I'm very happy. Again.

Anthem isn't perfect. ARC isn't perfect. But I much prefer my D2v and ARC to my Integra with XT32 and a PRO-KIT.

If Anthem were to add multiple subwoofer correction to ARC it would be as close to perfect a room correction system as is out there in the A/V world.

Tom

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page